Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Computers, Teh Interweb, Gaming, Electronics

Unread 2017-11-10, 08:48 PM   #5151
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUweatherman View Post
Its cool. I didn't know either until I saw someone mention it online.

I thought I was going to be the same...until I actually used it. Playing around with a friends and not using it day in/day in won't give you the feeling for the benefits. I'm on the FaceID boat now. I just look at my phone and its unlocked. My biggest complaint about TouchID was it didn't work when my fingers were too hot or wet. Don't have that problem with FaceID. Apple Pay works just as well if not better too.
My phone is unlocked BEFORE I'm looking at it. Face ID can't beat that even if they speed it up.
Ryan Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-11-12, 12:34 AM   #5152
KUweatherman
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 403
Thanks (Received): 363
Likes (Given): 4984
Likes (Received): 2124
Dislikes (Given): 123
Dislikes (Received): 174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
Can't unlock your new iPhone while wearing sunglasses.
Not true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Stewart View Post
My phone is unlocked BEFORE I'm looking at it. Face ID can't beat that even if they speed it up.
FaceID can do the same thing...
Unread 2017-11-12, 01:56 AM   #5153
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
FaceID can do the same thing...
No, no it cant. Youre just making shit up if you claim it can.

I can have the phone unlocked before its out of my pocket because I put my fingerprint on the scanner, so by the time I can turn it towards my face its unlocked. There is literally no way your phone can face id you from inside your pocket.

With how I use my phone (vast majority of the time responding quickly to notifications) that would get annoying.
Unread 2017-11-12, 01:12 PM   #5154
shaun y
Mr 49er

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 164
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Given): 3421
Likes (Received): 1009
Dislikes (Given): 187
Dislikes (Received): 144

i don't think anybody is knocking the faceid, i think the issue is that it's pretty lame that that's literally the only way to unlock it. what's so hard about putting a fingerprint sensor on the back of the phone? and if the phone can faceid with sunglasses on, at crazy angles, etc, then obviously it's nowhere near as "secure" as people have been raving about.
Unread 2017-11-12, 01:46 PM   #5155
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 254
Likes (Given): 2537
Likes (Received): 1703
Dislikes (Given): 24
Dislikes (Received): 47

Reading into the technology used, it is pretty fucking secure. Waaayyy more so than anything android has put out. Legit, apple nailed faceID from what I have seen about it...

That said, I totally agree that it sucks they didn't put a finger print scanner on it. It's just super convenient in a lot of situations (lying in bed with your face half covered by a pillow, phones on the desk and you just wanna turn it on to respond with 'k', in a meeting and you need to low key blast a reply in an email so your phone is in your lap, etc). It would be nice to have both.
Keboh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-11-12, 03:49 PM   #5156
TheRoach

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 30
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Given): 76
Likes (Received): 164
Dislikes (Given): 30
Dislikes (Received): 41

Quote:

I can have the phone unlocked before its out of my pocket because I put my fingerprint on the scanner, so by the time I can turn it towards my face its unlocked. There is literally no way your phone can face id you from inside your pocket.

With how I use my phone (vast majority of the time responding quickly to notifications) that would get annoying.
You're just being a dick. The phone unlocks quickly and you will not notice a difference. You're not unlocking your phone in your pocket so that you have optimal time to text. This isn't a texting duel.....
Unread 2017-11-12, 04:17 PM   #5157
jwdb1fish

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 33
Thanks (Received): 467
Likes (Given): 49
Likes (Received): 3994
Dislikes (Given): 7
Dislikes (Received): 124

So with this iPhone 8 every time I attempt to type an I autocorrect throws this in- I️

How can I make that go away?
jwdb1fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-11-12, 04:25 PM   #5158
KUweatherman
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:

Whether the phone 'unlocks before it is out of your pocket' or as you glance at it doesn't matter. You're still not responding to a notification until you're looking at the phone... So that ~1 second difference does not matter.

My point was also in reference to turning off the attention feature. So if that extra time did matter to anyone the phone would be unlocked by the time your eyes were even on the phone to respond.

Your comments are based off a few minutes of using a phone that was not set up for you. Mine are based off using the phone daily for a week plus now. I personally have found more pros than cons to FaceID vs TouchID in that time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdb1fish View Post
So with this iPhone 8 every time I attempt to type an I autocorrect throws this in- I️

How can I make that go away?
Download the latest iOS update. Apple fixed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun y View Post
i don't think anybody is knocking the faceid, i think the issue is that it's pretty lame that that's literally the only way to unlock it. what's so hard about putting a fingerprint sensor on the back of the phone? and if the phone can faceid with sunglasses on, at crazy angles, etc, then obviously it's nowhere near as "secure" as people have been raving about.
Not disagreeing. Would have loved to also have TouchID in the Apple logo but it largely would have been useless since FaceID works just as well if not better in most situations. The cameras also create a 'map' of your face from various angles and it 'learns' more over time. That is why it works just fine with sunglasses on along with the use of the infrared camera to see your eyes are open.

Last edited by KUweatherman; 2017-11-12 at 04:31 PM..
KUweatherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-11-12, 06:44 PM   #5159
Wallace

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 113
Likes (Given): 252
Likes (Received): 899
Dislikes (Given): 9
Dislikes (Received): 21

I've seen multiple times where it's cannot unlock the phone while wearing sunglasses. Quick search says that it only works while wearing polarized sunglasses.
Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-11-12, 07:28 PM   #5160
KUweatherman
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
I've seen multiple times where it's cannot unlock the phone while wearing sunglasses. Quick search says that it only works while wearing polarized sunglasses.
Fair enough. I wear polarized sunglasses.
Unread 2017-11-13, 10:08 AM   #5161
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

Apple Approves 'Notch Remover' App for iPhone X

Apple appears to have made an exception to its rule that developers "embrace the notch" on the iPhone X, by approving an app called Notch Remover for the App Store.

Essentially, all the app does is add a black bar across the top of selected images that the user can then manually assign as a wallpaper in iOS Settings.

The result conceals the existence of the notch and the adjacent "ears" with what looks like a solid black status bar along the top of the lock screen and home screen.

The one-trick nature of the app is unlikely to have been overlooked by Apple and approved in error, suggesting that the company doesn't interpret its function as a violation of iPhone X developer guidelines.
Don't mask or call special attention to key display features. Don't attempt to hide the device's rounded corners, sensor housing, or indicator for accessing the Home screen by placing black bars at the top and bottom of the screen.
The notch houses Apple's TrueDepth camera and Face ID technology, but it eats into the viewing area of the OLED display. Its existence has divided Apple fans, but many iPhone X owners say that they don't really notice it after a few days or even just a few hours with the device, after which it ceases to be an issue for them.

Still, if the notch just isn't your thing, Notch Remover offers to mitigate the screen intrusion for just $0.99.

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-11-13, 10:15 AM   #5162
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Your comments are based off a few minutes of using a phone that was not set up for you. Mine are based off using the phone daily for a week plus now. I personally have found more pros than cons to FaceID vs TouchID in that time...
No, my comments are watching two users use THEIR phones. They have to point the phone at their face, then swipe. Yeah its only a second or two but its a second or two for no reason. And its only a second or two if they ARENT backlit. It seems having a strong overhead lighting source washes out the sensors.

As for the attention feature that basically removes the only listed advantage of it, security. The idea that your girl or whatever couldnt unlock your phone while you are asleep.

And back up the pros vs cons of face ID to touch ID then? Because right now it just sounds like you are trying to justify your new toy. I mean, it is what you are doing, I just want to hear the hilarious reasons.

Its solutionism and compromise at its very best. They couldnt get the under screen one working and they didnt want to copy android by putting it on the back, so they went through all of this trouble to create one that is slower and had to justify it with "security." Security that has already been defeated with a 3d printed mask. In both scenarios (fingerprint and face unlock) the phone is far more secure than is required for 99.999% of users.

Last edited by Ryan Stewart; 2017-11-13 at 10:18 AM..
Unread 2017-11-13, 10:17 AM   #5163
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

Here’s how to make your own transparent iPhone X

The iPhone X only comes in black and white, and both versions look so good that you’ll have a hard time choosing between them. But what if I told you there was a way to have a transparent iPhone X instead?
As you might have guessed, this type of iPhone cosmetic alternation is not something Apple condones. You’ll void your warranty, and you might damage the handset in the process. But if everything goes according to plan, you’ll have an iPhone X like no other.

There are two things you need to do to get away with a transparent iPhone X. First of all, you need to change your wallpaper to iFixit’s picture of the iPhone X’s internals. That’s the easy part.
The hard part is taking out the rear glass panel of the iPhone X, and scratching away all that paint. Yes, you’ll have to pry open the iPhone X, while trying not to damage the rear camera and wireless charging coil. You’ll need specialized equipment including a heat gun, so this trickery isn’t for everybody.
Thankfully, there’s a how-to video available already, as YouTube channel EverythingApplePro actually shows you how to do everything.
Once the glass panel is out, you’ll have to clean the glue from the iPhone’s frame, and then peel away the black or white coat of paint, while making sure you don’t damage the Apple logo and iPhone text on the back. We want those to stay in place.
Once that’s done, you have to reattach everything together. One other drawback is that you’ll need to use glue to keep everything together. It’ll also be great to try to keep your unique iPhone X design out of water, as this custom job might totally ruin the phone’s water resistance.
The more experienced you are in tearing down iPhones, the better the results will be. If you’ve never tried it, you should think twice before going forward. Whatever the case, make sure you watch the full video below, which will tell you everything you need to know about it:

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly.

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7lJrUtlm64

Unread 2017-11-13, 11:41 AM   #5164
TheRoach

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Given): 76
Likes (Received): 164
Dislikes (Given): 30
Dislikes (Received): 41

That is ugly AF lol....
Unread 2017-11-13, 12:14 PM   #5165
Scooby24
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 50
Thanks (Received): 697
Likes (Given): 361
Dislikes (Given): 27
Dislikes (Received): 40

Quote:
Whether the phone 'unlocks before it is out of your pocket' or as you glance at it doesn't matter. You're still not responding to a notification until you're looking at the phone... So that ~1 second difference does not matter.

My point was also in reference to turning off the attention feature. So if that extra time did matter to anyone the phone would be unlocked by the time your eyes were even on the phone to respond.

What about using the camera? I frequently go from pocket right to snapping picture by double clicking the power button to launch the camera as fast/easy as possible.

Don't you have to pull out of pocket, make sure you're not looking at it so it won't unlock, yet you still have to find the camera button on screen so you can press and hold it to launch from the lock screen? Do you have to like, pull it out, flip it really quick so you can see the screen and then it's a race to grab the icon before it unlocks?

I just don't get apple/IOS. So many things they do that just seem dumb to me.
Unread 2017-11-13, 12:47 PM   #5166
ReidStylez
Yahh Trick Yahh!

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 100
Likes (Given): 43
Likes (Received): 943
Dislikes (Given): 11
Dislikes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby24 View Post
What about using the camera? I frequently go from pocket right to snapping picture by double clicking the power button to launch the camera as fast/easy as possible.

Don't you have to pull out of pocket, make sure you're not looking at it so it won't unlock, yet you still have to find the camera button on screen so you can press and hold it to launch from the lock screen? Do you have to like, pull it out, flip it really quick so you can see the screen and then it's a race to grab the icon before it unlocks?

I don't have an iPhone X, however, I'm sure it's similar to the others where you don't have to use Face ID to swipe to the camera on the lock screen.
Unread 2017-11-13, 02:21 PM   #5167
Squeaky192

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 262
Thanks (Received): 182
Likes (Given): 2816
Likes (Received): 1340
Dislikes (Given): 143
Dislikes (Received): 70

Quote:

I don't like iOS either, but I think you just swipe left on the lockscreen and it pulls up the camera while keeping the device locked otherwise.

1998 Volvo V70 - I can't get away from them.
1971 Camaro Z28 RS - "Barn Find" -LS/4L80/Strange 9" Restomod Beater
2012 Triumph Speed Triple R - Trouble Maker
Squeaky192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-11-13, 03:53 PM   #5168
Scooby24
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 50
Thanks (Received): 697
Likes (Given): 361
Dislikes (Given): 27
Dislikes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky192 View Post
I don't like iOS either, but I think you just swipe left on the lockscreen and it pulls up the camera while keeping the device locked otherwise.
yeah you're right I see that now. I thought it was trying to unlock from lock screen just by seeing you. Swiping to use FaceID fixes what I was thinking would be super annoying, but then I would get annoyed that you have to swipe to unlock at all instead of just throwing on a finger print sensor. Like...I just don't get why they didn't give you both.
Unread 2017-11-14, 10:04 AM   #5169
KUweatherman
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:

You can swipe left to launch the camera without unlocking the phone. The X also has a button on the home screen that can launch the camera using ForceTouch, but swiping left is lightyears faster.
Unread 2017-11-16, 04:27 PM   #5170
kellyrx8
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 101
Likes (Given): 704
Likes (Received): 455
Dislikes (Received): 3

have to admit the x is pretty damn nice. Been liking my new one so far...Thanks Work!
kellyrx8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-11-16, 04:31 PM   #5171
kellyrx8
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 101
Likes (Given): 704
Likes (Received): 455
Dislikes (Received): 3

Quote:

you have to wait until face unlock commences then hold the camera icon on the lock screen down. I agree double tap power is much easier
kellyrx8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-12-13, 03:10 PM   #5172
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

Apple Confirms Purchase of Shazam, Price Estimated at $400 Million

It was reported late last week that Apple made a move to acquire Shazam, the song recognition service. Well, unlike many of Apple’s other acquisitions, the company actually came forward and publicly confirmed that this one is indeed a reality, but that approval is required for the agreement.
The approval aspect likely stems from Shazam’s residence in the UK, so while Apple’s lawyers go over everything and get the deal hammered out, we can discuss the estimated price that Apple is paying. According to recode, Shazam’s price tag is a massive $400 million, making it no small ball purchase.
Here’s the statement from Shazam:
We are excited to announce that Shazam has entered into an agreement to become part of Apple. Shazam is one of the highest rated apps in the world and loved by hundreds of millions of users and we can’t imagine a better home for Shazam to enable us to continue innovating and delivering magic for our users.
We aren’t yet sure how Apple intends to implement Shazam’s tech into its own services, but it could be used to compete against Google’s own incredibly smooth music recognition. Additionally, there is such a thing as visual Shazam, which could be tweaked to go up against Google Lens. We’ll just have to wait and see what Apple plans to do.
Back before Google Assistant could automatically hear music was playing and offer to recognize it for you, as well as the Pixel 2’s ability to just instantly display what ambient music is playing around you via the always-on display, Shazam was cool. Is it worth $400 million today? Meh, not to this Google user.

Unread 2017-12-20, 09:55 AM   #5173
KUweatherman
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Won a pair of Air Pods last night at our work Christmas party. Had never been interested in them since I figured they were gimmicky plus I wasn't a fan of the standard Apple headphones. Well? I was wrong. These things are awesome! Buy them!
Unread 2017-12-20, 10:02 AM   #5174
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 254
Likes (Given): 2537
Likes (Received): 1703
Dislikes (Given): 24
Dislikes (Received): 47

Quote:
Won a pair of Air Pods last night at our work Christmas party. Had never been interested in them since I figured they were gimmicky plus I wasn't a fan of the standard Apple headphones. Well? I was wrong. These things are awesome! Buy them!
I have heard from 3 people (the 3 people I know that have them) that they're really awesome. That's always cool to win or get some tech for free to try out.
Keboh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2018-04-05, 09:55 AM   #5175
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

Report: Apple Developing iPhone With Curved Display

The curved display Apple has in development slopes 'inward gradually from top to bottom,' according to Bloomberg.
Apple has yet to embrace curved displays, but that could soon change.
Bloomberg, citing unnamed people "with knowledge of the matter," on Wednesday reported that Cupertino is working on "curved screens" as well as a new "touchless gesture control" feature to differentiate its future iPhones from other smartphones.
The curved display Apple has in development slopes "inward gradually from top to bottom," the report notes, and could make its debut in "as little as two to three years."
The touchless control feature will reportedly let you carry out some tasks by simply moving your finger "close to the screen without actually tapping it." That technology is also at least two years off, Bloomberg says.
"Both features are still in the early research and development stage and Apple could choose to not go forward with the enhancements," Bloomberg notes.
\
Apple did not immediately respond to PCMag's request for comment.

Mostly used in televisions, curved displays aren't unheard of in the smartphone market. Samsung has been experimenting with curved screens for years, from the Samsung Galaxy Round—aka "the world's first curved display smartphone"—to its Edge lineup and the Galaxy S8+ and S9+$839.99 at Samsung, which extends the display over the edge of both devices.
Apple isn't exactly inventing the concept of touchless gesture control, either. Samsung's Galaxy S4, released in 2013, included similar features, which the company called Air Gestures.