Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Movies, Music, TV, Books

Unread 2018-07-31, 01:05 PM   #26
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

That Joaquin Phoenix Joker movie continues to be a real thing that’s happening, and the film continues to rack up interesting cast members. The latest: Marc Maron, of GLOW and WTF Podcast fame. The filmmakers want Maron to play a booking agent whose actions eventually lead to the creation of the Joker.
Variety has the scoop about Maron joining the untitled Joker movie cast, and I have nothing but questions. For instance: what is this movie? When a Joker standalone movie was announced, I was instantly skeptical. But the anti-superhero movie is gathering together one killer cast – a cast so fascinating that it’s hard to ignore. In addition to star Joaquin Phoenix, Robert De Niro is in talks to play a talk show host. Per Variety, Maron would portray “a booking agent on Robert De Niro’s talk show who plays a part in booking Phoenix’s character, and eventually causing him to go mad and become the Clown Prince of Crime.”
So there you have it: it wasn’t a vat of chemicals that created the Joker. It was Marc Maron.
Todd Phillips, director of The Hangover, is helming this Joker film, and that’s really the only part of this whole package that I’m unsure about. I know Phoenix is one of the best actors of his generation. I know De Niro used to be the best actor of his generation, and can still deliver when he’s not starring in terrible comedies. And Maron’s work on GLOW has proven him to be a surprisingly skilled performer who can balance comedy and drama. But Todd Phillips isn’t exactly the most exciting filmmaker in the world. Don’t get me wrong – Phillips is fine. His movies are, for the most part, competently made. I’d just feel a lot better about this whole thing if a much more talented filmmaker was leading the charge.
Also added to the cast: comedian Bryan Callen. Callen has appeared in cameo appearances in all of Phillips’ movies, so his presence here isn’t a big shock. Callen confirmed his minor part in the movie during his The Fighter & The Kid Podcast, saying:
“I’m doing the Joker. I was offered a part. That’ll be fun, but i think it’s only a couple days. Play an aging dancer, stripper. I don’t want to go into the details. I can’t go into the details, but just know it’s gonna be good. And I hope my psoriasis is flaring cause that’ll be very funny. I’ll be in a Speed-O, I can’t wait. I have some ideas for it.”
Meanwhile, Variety stresses that Jared Leto, who played the Joker in Suicide Squad, is still attached to play the character in future DCEU films. On top of that, another standalone Joker movie, starring Leto, is still in the works. This is perhaps the most unbelievable part of the whole story – why would you possibly make two different Joker movies starring two different actors as the Joker? DC and Warner Bros. are clearly in a weird place right now. Their old DCEU slate failed to set the world on fire. Now, they’re forging ahead with more lighthearted fare like Aquaman and Shazam!But they’re also making standalone movies. Movies that don’t exist within the current DCEU mythology. That’s where the Joaquin Phoenix Joker movie would fit in. It sounds so crazy it just might work.

B68 | F82 |///M | S55B | NAV | LED | Avant Garde | Toyo Proxes 4
JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2018-07-31, 01:32 PM   #27
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Todd Philips' JOKER Movie Adds THE HANGOVER Actor Bryan Callen As "An Aging Dancer/Stripper"

Just in case Todd Philips' Joker movie didn't sound bizarre enough already, the latest bit of casting news has revealed that actor/comedian Bryan Callen has joined the production as an aging stripper...

Though it doesn't sound like it's going to be a substantial part, The Hangover's Bryan Callen has revealed that he'll rejoin director Todd Philips on his upcoming Joker movie.

Here’s what the actor/comedian had to say during the latest episode of his The Fighter & The Kid Podcast:
“I’m doing the Joker. I was offered a part. That’ll be fun, but i think it’s only a couple days. Play an aging dancer, stripper. I don’t want to go into the details. I can’t go into the details, but just know it’s gonna be good. And I hope my psoriasis is flaring cause that’ll be very funny. I’ll be in a Speed-O, I can’t wait. I have some ideas for it.”
Well, that certainly sounds... interesting!

Philips' take on The Clown Prince of Crime remains shrouded in mystery, but we do learn a little more about it with every new casting announcement. How Callen's character fits into the plot is anyone's guess, however.

Joker stars Joaquin Phoenix in the title role, and he'll be joined by Robert De Niro, Zazie Beetz, and Frances Conroy. The film is expected to commence production this September.

Unread 2018-07-31, 04:16 PM   #28
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Marc Maron Might Play In Joaquin Phoenix's Joker Movie

Shazam! and Wonder Woman 1984 have the DC Extended Universe covered in 2019, but on top of that, DC and Warner Bros are also releasing the standalone Joker movie next year, with Joaquin Phoenix playing this version of the Clown Prince of Crime. With production scheduled to begin soon, casting reports/announcements have been trickling through in recent weeks, and the latest update is that GLOW star Marc Maron is in talks to join Joker. As for who he would play, supposedly it's the booking agent for the talk show hosted by Robert de Niro's character.

Aside from this booking agent playing a part in booking Joaquin Phoenix's character on Robert de Niro's character's show (duh), Variety didn't provide any other details about this role Marc Maron is being eyed for on Joker. However, given that this talk show appearance plays a role in Phoenix's character being driven to madness, it's possible that this agent is around for that big moment. Once Phoenix's character becomes the Clown Prince of Crime, presumably that means the agent would be on his list of targets. If this booking agent is anything like Maron's other roles, no doubt we can expect him to be curmudgeonly and intolerant of nonsense.

A longtime standup comedian, Marc Maron has been hosting his own podcast, WTF with Marc Maron, since 2009, but on the movie and TV front, his credits include Get a Job, Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates, Louie and Maron. He was most recently seen reprising Sam Sylvia in Season 2 of the Netflix series GLOW. Assuming Maron signs on the dotted line for Joker, he would join a cast that also includes Frances Conroy as Joker's mother, while Zazie Beetz is in talks to play a single mother who catches the eye of the man who will become The Joker.

Although The Joker has been Batman's arch-nemesis for nearly eight decades, from what's been revealed about the Joker movie so far, it doesn't sound like the Caped Crusader will appear. In fact, so far there's nothing about this movie that screams 'typical comic book adaptation.' Budgeted at approximately $55 million, Joker has been described as a "dark character study" in the vein of Taxi Driver and The King of Comedy, which is even more appropriate description now with Robert de Niro's addition. Set in the 1980s, Joker seems to be taking many cues from The Killing Joke, which portrayed the cackling villain as a failed standup comedian who became insane after "one bad day."

Unread 2018-08-03, 03:57 PM   #29
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Marc Maron Talks 'Joker' Origin Movie

It was reported recently that Glow's Marc Maron would be joining the Joker origin movie alongside Todd Phillips, Joaquin Phoenix, and Robert De Niro, and he shared his thoughts on the news on his podcast.

Maron's latest episode of his WTF podcast (episode 93 puts Luzer Twersky in the spotlight, but before he dove into the interview he addressed the reports of him joining the Joker film, confirming that he is indeed involved with the project.

"Alright, well yes, it is true," Maron said. "It is true people. It is true ladies and gentlemen, I have been added to the cast of the new Joker movie being directed by Todd Phillips, starring Joaquin Phoenix and Rober De Niro. Two of the greatest actors that have ever graced the screen. And I know some of you given my recent discussions about the slow corruption of our culture and arts by the consolidation of desire around the limited options of big budget blockbuster movies in the form of superhero movies are probably kind of thinking 'well look at this. Big talker! Look at this guy! He's a hypocrite, he's a this or that.'

Maron is referencing several interviews he's had with actors involved with superhero films (namely Josh Brolin and Paul Rudd) that have received some pushback from fans of superhero movies. Maron has explained his stance on previous episodes, and that isn't changing with this project.
"I'll be honest with ya," Maron said. "My agents trying to get me an audition for this film proceeded my rants. I do not think that my opinions have changed at all. I have in my life as I've mentioned before read plenty of comic books, but the bottom line is this. I never thought that my life would take me to where I am now. I didn't assume anything when I started this podcast other than I hope I can stay alive. I don't know if I can make a living. I don't know what you do with these podcasts but I gotta stay engaged, stay busy and try to, you know. remain on the right side of the grass."
Maron has been a big fan of De Niro's work for most of his life, so accepting this was a no-brainer.

"So, who would've known that some of my dreams would have come true if they were dreams or some of my ambitions? You know making my own TV show, developing an audience as a comedian, doing the best comedy I've ever done in my life," Maron said. "Having a career in show business period that the podcast itself would be successful...so given all that, certainly one of my childhood dreams, and I don't want or like to use the word Bucket List but it was something I thought about in college and something I thought about as a fan of films was, 'God if I was ever an actor it would be amazing to be in a scene with Robert De Niro. Wouldn't it be amazing to act with Robert De Niro?'"

"How long have I been thinking about that? Most of my life! So, given that the time that we live in does not put a lot of resources into films like Deer Hunter, or even I would say, Raging Bull, or certainly not Taxi Driver, but probably not even Goodfellas really at this juncture in history, so given that this is the timing that this is where it's at, once given the opportunity that it was going to happen, that I got this gig and I'm gonna do a couple of scenes maybe with Robert De Niro and Joaquin Phoenix, the next in the line of succession in great actors, f*** yes I'm going to do that. Of course, I'm going to do that," Maron said.

Maron didn't reveal the character he would be playing, but he did take a second to praise the script. "This is the movie that it's going to be in, and hopefully it will make the cut, and honestly, it's a pretty great script. So there you have it," Maron said.

Unread 2018-08-08, 07:47 PM   #30
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

JOKER May Be Taking Aim At An R-Rating As Some Smaller Female Roles Will Reportedly Involve Nudity

There have been rumblings that Warner Bros. is taking Joker down a pretty dark route but some new details about the production may confirm that it will be an R-Rated origin story for the Batman villain.

According to a new report, Todd Phillips' Joker movie will begin shooting in New York City on September 22nd with production expected to wrap between December and February. That puts it well on track to meet its 2019 release date, but the big news here surprisingly comes in regards to some minor roles Warner Bros. is currently looking to cast for the iconic villain's standalone origin story.

It's said that nudity will be involved in some smaller female roles and that obviously means Joker would be labelled with an R-Rating, something which makes sense given the talent involved and the few details we've learned in recent weeks. That would also help differentiate it from The Joker movie in the works starring Jared Leto which would probably take aim at PG-13 rating similar to Suicide Squad.

The movie is set to focus on the Clown Prince of Crime during his days as a failed stand up comedian and many comics in the 1980s would perform in strip clubs so it sounds like Phillips is going to try and make this movie as authentic as possible. The rating isn't confirmed as of right now, though, and these "strippers" could end up in underwear! We'll have to wait and see, but for now share your thoughts below.

Unread 2018-08-11, 12:58 PM   #31
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Zazie Beetz's Role in Joker Revealed

Zazie Beetz's role in Joaquin Phoenix's Joker has been revealed. Warner Bros. is branching out beyond their attempted cinematic universe of DC characters to try something new. Under a new label, they're giving Batman's most iconic villain The Joker an origin story all his own. The project came to be thanks to director Todd Phillips, and Warner Bros. eventually convinced Phoenix to play the Clown Prince of Crime. He's not alone in the film, as Deadpool 2 and Atlanta star Zazie Beetz is also going to be featured.

Those who are familiar with Beetz's work know the versatility she has, making her possible role in Joker something fans have been dying to know. With the movie doing its own take on the Joker, anything was on the table. Her mystery role has now become more clear.

That Hashtag Show reports Zazie Beetz will be playing a character called Sophie Dumond. Sophie is "a single mother living on the Lower East Side." The rest of her character description points to a cynical outlook on life, where she's beaten down by the world and a corrupt system. Despite the dour outlook, she still "catches the interest" of Phoenix in the movie, making Beetz effectively the potential love interest for the film. The full description is below.

Not beautiful, has a hardness to her, a single mother living on the Lower East Side, doing the best she can, trying to make ends meet; worn out by the grind of the city. She understands how the system is stacked against her and the people in her community, how unjust it all is for them. She’s just trying to catch a break.

The description of Beetz's character sounds rather run of the mill at this point, so it's going to come down to the execution and use of her skills. If Beetz's body of work is any indication, she'll give it her all no matter how big or small, or good or bad the role is. One thing that's almost assured to happen though is some misunderstanding. This is the Joker we're talking about after all, so his interest in her probably won't be reciprocated. The rejection could be part of his dark and crazy turn, making Beetz's role rather important for the overall story.

However, all of this could still mean that a popular fan theory could be in play. Joaquin Phoenix's version of Joker has the real name of Arthur Fleck, and the very nature of trying to tell Joker's origin presents the opportunity for further change. There are some that have hoped Beetz could actually play a version of Harley Quinn in Joker. This type of characterization could make it so Beetz joins Phoenix in the madness, instead of possibly being a victim to it. Even if she isn't directly referred to as Harley, the similarities could be there if such a turn happens.

That's probably a bit too far of a fetch at this point, so Beetz's Sophie Dumond may wind up being just Sophie Dumond. She's one of many talented individuals in the cast, which also features Robert De Niro, Marc Maron, and more. With filming on Joker inching closer to beginning every day, it may just be a matter of time before fans actually get to see Beetz in character.

Unread 2018-08-23, 12:25 PM   #32
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Joaquin Phoenix on Playing the Joker and Facing Big Expectations: ‘I Don’t Really Care That Much What People Think’

"What gets my interest is examining people," the actor told IndieWire.

Joaquin Phoenix has been making up for missed time. After taking two years off from acting following Woody Allen’s “Irrational Man” in 2015, he has returned busier than ever. By the end of 2018, he’ll have appeared in four very different movies: Gus Van Sant’s cartoonist biopic “Don’t Worry, He Won’t Get Far on Foot,” the Jesus-focused “Mary Magdalene,” Lynne Ramsey’s hit man thriller “You Were Never Really Here,” and the Western “The Sisters Brothers,” which opens in September.
In the midst of promoting that movie, Phoenix is already enmeshed in one of the most unexpected new challenges on his docket — playing a supervillain. In “Joker,” the actor will team up with “Hangover” director Todd Phillips for a standalone take on Batman’s infamous foe. It’s the first time the actor will star in an actual comic book adaptation, and though reports surrounding the project suggest that it’s more of a character study made for a modest budget by blockbuster standards, the role comes with a lot of baggage: Jack Nicholson’s Joker wasn’t seen as the iconic performer’s finest moment, while Heath Ledger’s investment in the role reportedly led him down some dark pathways, and Jared Leto’s interpretation in “Suicide Squad” invited much derision.
In an interview to promote “The Sisters Brothers,” Phoenix said he was already preparing for the role, and expressed concern that promoting the new release was getting in his way. “It is ideal to be able to focus on one thing and not do press while you’re prepping for something else, which is not working out,” he said. Nevertheless, the typically tight-lipped actor shrugged off the pressure of tackling such an iconic character. “I could care less,” he said. “I don’t really think that much about what people think. Who cares, who cares? My approach to every movie is the same. What I’m interested in is the filmmaker and the idea of the character.”
Earlier in the summer, Phoenix told Collider that he was intrigued by movies featuring “characters in comics that were really interesting and deserve the opportunity to be kind of studies.” These days, however, he’s more reserved about the challenge. (“What else you got?” he asked when pressed to elaborate on his preparation for the role.) However, he did say that the scale of a blockbuster production didn’t bother him, even though it was an anomaly in his career. “If there’s something that feels unique, then I don’t really care what genre it is, what budget it is,” he said. “Those things aren’t important.” Instead, he said, “What gets my interest is examining people. Some of it is really fucking simple. It’s chemistry, it’s like what you look for in a lover. You know it when it happens.”
While some actors pivot from prestige roles to blockbuster escapism as a survival tactic, Phoenix insisted he had no concerns about the kind of opportunities at his disposal. “I feel like I’ve consistently worked at the same pace,” he said. “It feels like every five years, somebody says ‘They don’t make those kind of movies anymore.’ Maybe that will happen, but I’ve been lucky thus far.”

Unread 2018-08-24, 10:08 AM   #33
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

JOKER Origin Movie Taps SICARIO: DAY OF THE SOLDADO Composer Hildur Guðnadóttir To Score

Hot on the heels of yesterday's Hans Zimmer news, we're hearing that Warner Bros. has enlisted Sicario: Day of the Soldado composer Hildur Guðnadóttir to score Todd Phillips' upcoming Joker origin movie.

With Warner Bros. gearing up to commence production on Todd Phillips' Joker origin movie in just a few short weeks, Film Music Reporter has learned that the studio has tapped Icelandic composer Hildur Guðnadóttir to score the standalone feature.

Guðnadóttir is best known for composing the score for Stefano Sollima's Sicario: Day of the Soldado. Her other work includes Baltasar Kormákur's The Oath and she collaborated with the late Jóhann Jóhannsson (Sicario; Arrival) on Garth Davis' Mary Magdalene. She's also a classically trained cellist and has contributed to the scores for Prisoners, Sicario, The Revenant, and Arrival.

Joker stars 3x Academy Award-nominee Joaquin Phoenix (Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot) in the title role with a supporting cast that will feature Primetime Emmy-nominee Zazie Beetz (Deadpool 2), Golden Globe-winner Frances Conroy (American Horror Story), Marc Maron (GLOW), Josh Pais (Ray Donovan), and 2x Academy Award-winner Robert De Niro (The Irishman).

Plot details remained locked away at Arkham Asylum.

Joker laughs his way into theaters October 4, 2019

Unread 2018-08-27, 03:31 PM   #34
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

'Joker' Reportedly Begins Filming in Two Weeks

It looks like DC Films' latest big-screen adventure could begin rolling very soon.
According to a new tweet from The Wrap's Umberto Gonzalez, the upcoming Joker origin movie will reportedly begin production in two weeks. This would place the start date for sometime around September 10th, keeping on track with the "early fall" production start that was previously teased.

While the concept of Joker initially confused fans when it was first announced, plenty have come around to the project, which is set to be a low-budget film outside of the main DC Extended Universe continuity. The 80s-set, potentially R-rated film will see the Joker (Joaquin Phoenix) begin as a stand-up comedian, who turns to a life of crime and madness after a particularly bad performance.
“I wouldn’t quite classify this as like any genre," Phoenix said in a recent interview. "I wouldn’t say it’s a superhero movie, or a studio movie or a … It feels unique, and I think more then anything, and probably the most important thing, is Todd seems very passionate about it and very giving, and so that’s exciting. I think, underneath the excitement of these films, and the size of them, there are these incredible characters that are dealing with real life struggles. And sometimes that is uncovered and exposed, and sometimes it isn’t, and so I always felt, like, there were characters in comics that were really interesting and deserve the opportunity to be kind of studied. And so I think that’s what Todd sees appealing about this idea."

Joker is being directed by The Hangover and Due Date's Todd Phillips and executive produced by Martin Scorsese. In addition to Phoenix, the film will star Robert De Niro, Zazie Beetz, Frances Conroy, and Marc Maron. And as it turns out, Phoenix has had that sort of idea kicking around in his head for quite some time.
“Three or four years ago, I called my agent and said ‘Why don’t they want to take one of these characters and just make a lower budget film about it, a movie but a character study, and why not take one of the villains?’" Phoenix revealed in a recent interview. "And I thought, ‘You can’t do the Joker, because, you know, it’s just you can’t do that character, it’s just been done.’ So I was trying to think of other characters, and he said ‘I’ll set up a general meeting with Warner Bros.’ And I said ‘I’m not gonna go, I can’t go to a general meeting.’ So I completely forgot about it, and so then I heard about this idea, I was like, ‘Oh that’s so exciting, that’s the kind of experience I wanted to have, with a movie based on a comic character.’ I felt like you could get something on screen."

Unread 2018-08-27, 06:31 PM   #35
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

JOKER Movie Adds MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - FALLOUT Actor Alec Baldwin As Thomas Wayne

Some exciting casting news for you guys here, as the trades are reporting that Todd Philips' Joker has added Alec Baldwin to its cast. The Fallout actor will reportedly play Batman's father, Thomas Wayne.

According to Deadline, Alec Baldwin has been added to the cast of Todd Philips' Joker movie, which is scheduled to commence production early next month.

Though Warner Bros. has not confirmed his role, multiple sources are reporting that he'll be playing Bruce Wayne's father, Thomas - although it sounds like the movie will be taking a lot of liberties with the character!

THR mentions that this incarnation of Batman's dear old dad will be depicted as "a cheesy and tanned businessman who is more in the mold of a 1980s Donald Trump" than the fearless patriarch of the Wayne family that was admired by all in the comics.

Joker will star Joaquin Phoenix as the Clown Prince of Crime, with Robert De Niro, Zazie Beetz and Marc Maron allon board for supporting roles.

Quote:
Jeff Sneider @TheInSneider

BREAKING: Alec Baldwin to play Thomas Wayne in the JOKER movie. This is the role that Viggo Mortensen passed on. I'm told that Wayne Manor will be a location in the film. The plot thickens...
5:14 PM - Aug 27, 2018

Unread 2018-08-27, 06:52 PM   #36
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Update: THR reports that “the script paints Thomas Wayne as a cheesy and tanned businessman who is more in the mold of a 1980s Donald Trump.” Apparently Baldwin will spend the rest of his life doing Trump impressions. This is yet another example of no one involved with this film understanding the meaning of the word “subtlety.” I’m not saying the project needs to be an expressionist film with characters shooting each other furtive glances as the primary means of conveying emotion, but to include a Trump-style character and then to cast Alec Baldwin? It’s so…obvious. I’m worried about this movie.

Unread 2018-08-29, 10:37 AM   #37
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Joaquin Phoenix’s ‘Joker’ Movie Sounds … Interesting

And by interesting we mean possibly disastrous

Getty Images/Ringer illustration The DC Extended Universe doesn’t appear to operate on any guiding principles so much as it just desperately tries to stay relevant in the shadow of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. After the dark and dreary Zack Snyder–style films Man of Steel and Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice—plus whatever the hell Suicide Squad was—the DCEU was given a lifeline with 2017’s bright, colorful, and supremely entertaining Wonder Woman and then followed that up with … more darkness in the form of Snyder’s Justice League. The DCEU appeared to course-correct after that: Following in Wonder Woman’s footsteps, upcoming DCEU movies like Shazam! and Aquaman appear to have similarly breezy, unserious tones.

So, naturally, the DC Universe is now cooking up [squints] a dark, gritty character drama about the Joker? No, not kidding. After initial rumors that Joaquin Phoenix would be starring in a stand-alone Joker movie in February, we got official confirmation in July that this Phoenix-led Joker movie is a go, and that it will be called, simply, Joker. It’s being described as an “exploration of a man disregarded by society,” and that’s just the tip of the iceberg.
What’s made this bizarre project even more peculiar is the series of hires and updates that have followed the initial announcement—not to mention the unignorable fact Joker muddies the pool that is the ever-expansive, perpetually confusing DCEU. This feels like the superhero equivalent of A Star Is Born: Joker is either going to be a stupendous success and a fine entry into the Prestige Superhero Film lexicon or a calamitous trainwreck, with no in between. Let us count the ways in which this movie is rapidly becoming the most befuddling project of 2019.

There’s Too Many Jokers!

Remember when Jared Leto went full Joker-method for, like, 15 minutes of screentime in Suicide Squad—and then those 15 minutes were transcendently terrible? Well, instead of cutting the cord on Leto’s half-mobster, half-emo take on the Joker, Warner Bros. decided to give him his own full Joker movie. (Margot Robbie’s Harley Quinn is also getting her own spinoff movie, Birds of Prey, and it’s entirely possible he’ll have a cameo there, too.)

So, yes, your math is correct: one studio is currently producing multiple stand-alone Joker movies. To try to clear up the very understandable confusion, Warner Bros. is insisting that there won’t be any Joker overlap because Phoenix’s Joker is going to be part of the studio’s “new origins banner,” which is separate from the current DCEU and is instead focused solely on stand-alone stories. Oh, OK, that makes sense—oh wait, no it doesn’t. Wouldn’t a Leto-led Joker movie also, technically, count as a stand-alone movie? Where does this madness end? Does this mean we might also have multiple Batmans—sorry Ben!—for no discernible purpose? All so that we can have two Jokers at the same time, one of which we know is nowhere near as good as Jack Nicholson or Heath Ledger?

That Todd Phillips?

Joker will be directed and cowritten by veteran filmmaker Todd Phillips. The good news: Phillips does have an Oscar nomination to his name. The bad news: that Oscar nom was a Best Adapted Screenplay nod for … Borat. Phillips is probably best known for making Old School and the Hangover trilogy. His movies are entertaining, well-made comedies, but also crass and without a modicum of subtlety.
So yes, that Todd Phillips is going to write and direct a movie in the gritty style of Taxi Driver and The King of Comedy. It seems fair to be skeptical of this. And for those hoping that Martin Scorsese’s involvement in Joker as a coproducer would at least bring some crime-drama expertise to the movie, I must regretfully inform you that Scorsese left the project last month. [Insert “This Is Fine” meme here.]

WTF With the Casting?

First of all, one of the greatest living actors, Robert De Niro, is dipping his toes into the superhero IP pool. While you’d think the Oscar-winning actor from mob movies like The Godfather: Part II and Goodfellas would be a fitting—if a little aged—choice to play an antagonistic mob boss, in Joker De Niro is … not doing that. Instead, per Variety, he will be a “talk-show host who plays a part” in turning Phoenix’s Joker into the psychopathic villain Hollywood can’t seem to get enough of. Basically, De Niro will be Evil Johnny Carson, telling the Joker he won’t be making it in showbiz and putting him on a path toward depravity. I suppose that’s better, at least, than having James Corden kick the Joker out of a Carpool Karaoke video because he couldn’t handle the falsettos in “Bohemian Rhapsody.”

But De Niro’s casting isn’t even one of the weird ones—Marc Maron (?!) is going to be in this movie! Unfortunately, this will not be a meta addition to the movie in which the Joker goes on the WTF With Marc Maron podcast (though that really needs to happen). Instead, Maron will play an agent for De Niro’s fictional late-night show who books a presumably pre-Joker Joker—it sounds like it could be a bit role. For what it’s worth, Maron said on his podcast earlier this month that Joker has a “pretty great script” and that he’s stoked about the opportunity to work alongside the star of Taxi Driver and Raging Bull. This movie has a lot of question marks, but “More Marc Maron Acting Really Marc Maron-ish” isn’t one of them. (See: GLOW.)

Lastly, the latest casting decision is one that could make or break Joker—emphasis on the latter. On Monday, The Hollywood Reporter confirmed that Alec Baldwin wouldn’t just be playing Bruce Wayne’s father, Thomas Wayne, but that he’d be a “cheesy and tanned businessman who is more in the mold of a 1980s Donald Trump.” This makes it sound like Baldwin will be bringing along his tiresome Trump impression from Saturday Night Live, to which I say: please, God, no.

Why Must We Kill Bruce Wayne’s Dad Again?

As if “Baldwin Doing His Trump Impression for Two Hours” isn’t concerning enough, add in the fact he’s playing yet another iteration of a character we don’t need reminding of. Yes, it is Batman canon that Thomas Wayne and his wife are shot—and yes, that’s crucial to Bruce Wayne’s transformation into the Caped Crusader. But how many times do we need to be reminded of this traumatic moment in Bruce’s life? And why do we need to see it for the gazillionth time, in a stand-alone Jokermovie? At this point who’s gonna feel anything when Thomas Wayne is gunned down, especially if this time he’s some kind of Trumpian asshole?
I’m not sure what’d be worse for Joker: Killing Bruce Wayne’s dad for the umpteenth time, or not killing Bruce’s dad and letting Baldwin run wild with his Trump antics for an entire film.

Every bit of news that comes out about Joker is like a Chinese finger trap for the brain, and because the film likely isn’t done rounding out its cast, this may just be the beginning. Maybe Parker Posey as an older Harley Quinn? Rising star Glen Powell as a young, pre-commissioner Jim Gordon? Uma Thurman as Poison Ivy—Round 2? I’ll say it again: This movie is either going to be amazing or the biggest superhero joke of all.

Unread 2018-08-29, 05:07 PM   #38
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Alec Baldwin Says That He Is No Longer Playing Thomas Wayne In Todd Philips' JOKER Movie

Just a couple of days ago, it was reported that Alec Baldwin had joined the cast of Todd Philips' Joker as Bruce Wayne's father, but the actor now says that he's dropped out of the role. Check it out...

This past Monday, the trades reported that Alec Baldwin had been cast in the upcoming Joker origin movie as "a cheesy and tanned businessman who is more in the mold of a 1980s Donald Trump" take on Thomas Wayne, but it seems that's no longer the case.

Baldwin first sent out the following Tweet, implying that the reports of his character being Trump-like were inaccurate.

Quote:
ABFoundation @ABFalecbaldwin

Let me state, for the record, that I have NOT been hired to play a role in Todd Phillips’ JOKER as some Donald Trump manque.
That is not happening.
Not.
Happening.
8:39 AM - Aug 29, 2018

However, he then clarified to USA Today that he had actually parted ways with the production altogether, citing "scheduling issues."

"I'm no longer doing that movie," the Mission: Impossible - Fallout actor told the site. "I'm sure there are 25 guys who can play that part."

It's difficult to know whether Baldwin had already dropped out before the trade reports came in or if it only happened afterwards, but either way, it's a shame he won't be part of the film.

Joker will star Joaquin Phoenix as the Clown Prince of Crime, with Robert De Niro, Zazie Beetz and Marc Maron all on board for supporting roles.

Unread 2018-08-31, 09:57 AM   #39
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Joaquin Phoenix Has Gotten Thinner for 'Joker' Role

Filming is getting ready to begin on The Joker, the new self-contained DC Comics movie exploring the origin of Batman's greatest villain. And it looks like the film's star is ready for duty.
New photos of Joaquin Phoenix cropped up, showing the actor looking skinnier for his role as the younger Clown Prince of Crime in the new movie from director Todd Phillips. Check it out in the photo below.

Given all of Warner Bros. announcements for future DC Comics-based movies, news of the Joker origin movie seemed very unlikely to ever come to fruition when it was first revealed. But now the cameras are set to start rolling, making in the only other DC project in production other than Wonder Woman 1984.
But the movie did hit a major snag this week. On Monday it was announced that Alec Baldwin was joining the film, heavily rumored to be playing Bruce Wayne's father Thomas Wayne. But after reports surfaced that this iteration of the character was inspired by Donald Trump, Baldwin abruptly left the project just two days later.

"I'm no longer doing that movie," Baldwin told USA Today, blaming "scheduling" issues. He then added that he's "sure there are 25 guys who can play that part."
While it might seem that the part of the Joker would be beneath an actor with the calibre of Phoenix, we shouldn't forget that the role earned Heath Ledger a post-humous Academy Award for his participation in The Dark Knight.

And to his own credit, Phoenix has been trying to play this role for a few years now, per an interview with Collider.
"Three or four years ago, I called my agent and said ‘Why don’t they want to take one of these characters and just make a lower budget film about it, a movie but a character study, and why not take one of the villains?’" Phoenix previously said. "And I thought, ‘You can’t do the Joker, because, you know, it’s just you can’t do that character, it’s just been done.’ So I was trying to think of other characters, and he said ‘I’ll set up a general meeting with Warner Bros.’ And I said ‘I’m not gonna go, I can’t go to a general meeting.’

"So I completely forgot about it, and so then I heard about this idea, I was like, ‘Oh that’s so exciting, that’s the kind of experience I wanted to have, with a movie based on a comic character.’ I felt like you could get something on screen."

Unread 2018-09-05, 08:29 AM   #40
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Joaquin Phoenix Flashes His 'Joker' Grin Ahead of the Film Beginning Production

DC Films' Joker movie is gearing up to begin filming, and we've already got a pretty good look at the film's star.
A new photo of Joaquin Phoenix at the Deauville American Film Festival has been making the rounds online, which showcases the new physique that the actor has acquired for Joker. As opposed to earlier photos of Phoenix, this photo shows him giving a pretty big grin, which definitely brings the iconic DC Comics villain to mind.

With filming on the project expected to begin in the coming days, it's anyone's guess when we will actually see photos of Phoenix taking on the role. Still, photos like this one will certainly jog fans' imaginations, and probably be even more fuel for fan artists.

While the concept of Joker initially confused fans when it was first announced, plenty have come around to the project, which is set to be a low-budget film outside of the main DC Extended Universe continuity. The 80s-set, potentially R-rated film will see the Joker (Joaquin Phoenix) begin as a stand-up comedian, who turns to a life of crime and madness after a particularly bad performance.

“I wouldn’t quite classify this as like any genre," Phoenix said in a recent interview. "I wouldn’t say it’s a superhero movie, or a studio movie or a … It feels unique, and I think more then anything, and probably the most important thing, is Todd seems very passionate about it and very giving, and so that’s exciting. I think, underneath the excitement of these films, and the size of them, there are these incredible characters that are dealing with real life struggles. And sometimes that is uncovered and exposed, and sometimes it isn’t, and so I always felt, like, there were characters in comics that were really interesting and deserve the opportunity to be kind of studied. And so I think that’s what Todd sees appealing about this idea."

Joker is being directed by The Hangover and Due Date's Todd Phillips and executive produced by Martin Scorsese. In addition to Phoenix, the film will star Robert De Niro, Zazie Beetz, Frances Conroy, and Marc Maron. And as it turns out, Phoenix has had that sort of idea kicking around in his head for quite some time.

“Three or four years ago, I called my agent and said ‘Why don’t they want to take one of these characters and just make a lower budget film about it, a movie but a character study, and why not take one of the villains?’" Phoenix revealed in a recent interview. "And I thought, ‘You can’t do the Joker, because, you know, it’s just you can’t do that character, it’s just been done.’ So I was trying to think of other characters, and he said ‘I’ll set up a general meeting with Warner Bros.’ And I said ‘I’m not gonna go, I can’t go to a general meeting.’ So I completely forgot about it, and so then I heard about this idea, I was like, ‘Oh that’s so exciting, that’s the kind of experience I wanted to have, with a movie based on a comic character.’ I felt like you could get something on screen."

What do you think of this latest photo of Phoenix? Does it make you excited to see him in Joker? Let us know what you think in the comments below.

Unread 2018-09-16, 05:03 PM   #41
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Joaquin Phoenix Laughs Maniacally As Filming Gets Underway On His Standalone JOKER Movie

Following that foreboding photo, the first set photos & video from WB's standalone Joker movie have made their way online featuring a first look at Joaquin Phoenix as the future Clown Prince of Crime.

After catching a first look at 3x Academy Award-nominee Joaquin Phoenix as "Arthur" earlier today, Just Jared has confirmed that principal photography has officially commenced on Todd Phillips' upcoming Joker standalone movie by sharing some intriguing new set photos.

The photos, which you can view at the link below, aren't particularly revealing as we see Phoenix interact with another actor that's dressed as a clown. He's also pictured laughing quite maniacally after he presumably tells the clown a joke - something that doesn't seem to go over well with his audience. The photos also confirm the presence of an iconic location from the comics as the pair stand in front of a building that has "Amusement Mile" painted on the side.

In addition to Phoenix (Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot), the cast also features Primetime Emmy-nominee Zazie Beetz (Deadpool 2), Golden Globe-winner Frances Conroy (American Horror Story), Marc Maron (GLOW), Josh Pais (Ray Donovan), and 2x Academy Award-winner Robert De Niro (The Irishman).

Unread 2018-09-17, 02:41 PM   #42
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

TDKR Actor Brett Cullen Set To Replace Alec Baldwin As Thomas Wayne In The JOKER Movie

Alec Baldwin recently revealed that he'd been forced to drop out of the Joker movie due to a scheduling conflict, but veteran film and TV actor Brett Cullen will reportedly replace him as Thomas Wayne...

Late last month, the trades reported that Alec Baldwin has been cast as Thomas Wayne in Todd Philips' Joker movie, but just one day later the Mission: Impossible - Fallout actor announced that he'd parted ways with the project due to a scheduling conflict.

Now, The Wrap reports that veteran actor Brett Cullen (The Dark Knight Rises, Narcos, The Shallows) has replaced Baldwin as the father of The Batman.

Will the character still be depicted as "a cheesy and tanned businessman who is more in the mold of a 1980s Donald Trump?" That remains to be seen, but now that production is underway there's always a chance we'll get a glimpse of Cullen on set at some point.

Joker stars Joaquin Phoenix as the Clown Prince of Crime, with Robert De Niro, Zazie Beetz and Marc Maron all on board for supporting roles.

Unread 2018-09-17, 04:13 PM   #43
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Warner Bros. Officially Announces Full 'Joker' Cast & Crew

(Photo: Todd Phillips/Instagram) Warner Bros. has officially announced the full cast and crew of the upcoming Joker movie from director Todd Phillips which stars Joaquin Phoenix as the titular DC Comics villain.
The release follows up on the earlier news first reported by ComicBook.com which sees Brett Cullen replacing Alec Baldwin in the role of Thomas Wayne. The film does not yet have an official MPAA rating but contains beats of intense moments and violence in its script which could lean towards an R-rating. While the actor has not yet been revealed, Joker is expected to feature a very young Bruce Wayne, years prior to considering becoming Batman.

New to the team is Bradley Cooper as a producer, as revealed in the press release below, along with confirmation of Robert De Niro joining the cast.
"Principal photography has begun on Warner Bros. Pictures’ Joker, starring Oscar nominee Joaquin Phoenix in the title role, alongside Oscar winner Robert De Niro, and directed, produced and co-written by Oscar nominee Todd Phillips," Warner Bros. said in a press release.

"Joker centers around the iconic arch nemesis and is an original, standalone story not seen before on the big screen. Phillips’ exploration of Arthur Fleck (Phoenix), a man disregarded by society, is not only a gritty character study, but also a broader cautionary tale.
"The film also stars Zazie Beetz (Deadpool 2), Bill Camp (Red Sparrow, Molly’s Game), Frances Conroy (American Horror Story, Castle Rock), Brett Cullen (42, Narcos), Glenn Fleshler (Billions, Barry), Douglas Hodge (Red Sparrow, Penny Dreadful), Marc Maron (Maron, GLOW), Josh Pais (Motherless Brooklyn, Going in Style), and Shea Whigham (First Man, Kong: Skull Island).

"Phillips (The Hangover trilogy) directs from a screenplay he co-wrote with writer Scott Silver (The Fighter), based on characters from DC. The film is being produced by Phillips and Bradley Cooper under their Joint Effort banner, and Emma Tillinger Koskoff. It is executive produced by Richard Baratta, Joseph Garner and Bruce Berman.
"Behind the scenes, Phillips is joined by director of photography Lawrence Sher (upcoming Godzilla: King of the Monsters, The Hangover trilogy), production designer Mark Friedberg (Selma, The Amazing Spider-Man 2), editor Jeff Groth (War Dogs, The Hangover Part III), and Oscar-winning costume designer Mark Bridges (Phantom Thread, The Artist).
"A Warner Bros. Pictures presentation, in Association with Village Roadshow Pictures, in Association with BRON Creative, a Joint Effort Production, Joker is set for release October 4, 2019, and will be distributed worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures."

Unread 2018-09-17, 05:59 PM   #44
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

JOKER: Everything You Need To Know About The Clown Prince Of Crime's Big Screen Origin Story - SPOILERS

Last night, Joker director Todd Phillips introduced us to Joaquin Phoenix's "Arthur" so we're taking a look at all the confirmed details, rumours, and spoilers you need to know about the DC Comics movie...

Yesterday, the first photos from the set of Joker surfaced and with them came a first official look at Joaquin Phoenix's "Arthur" courtesy of director Todd Phillips. Needless to say, that sneak peek has got fans talking and it's quite a different image to the one we got of Jared Leto's Clown Prince of Crime in Suicide Squad (despite that, it's still every bit as controversial but for somewhat different reasons).

Now, we're breaking down all the biggest spoilers, rumours, and confirmed details about Joker to bring you a definitive guide about what to expect in the DC Comics adaptation which is set to serve as a standalone origin story for the iconic Batman villain. Whether or not the Caped Crusader will appear remains to be seen but for now, it appears as if the focus will remain firmly on Phoenix's Joker.

So, to check out this breakdown, all you guys have to do is click on the "View List" button below.

The Joker May Be Thomas Wayne's Bastard Son

While nothing has been confirmed in this respect, leaked character breakdowns have confirmed that The Joker's mother was extremely attractive in her youth and is now obsessed with her former employer, someone who may very well have impregnated her. Can you see where this is going? Yes, the prevailing theory is that we'll learn Thomas Wayne is actually the Clown Prince of Crime's father!

Arthur Fleck

Warner Bros. has done the unthinkable and given The Joker a name: Arthur Fleck. Based on what little we know about him, Fleck returns to Gotham City to care for his ageing mother and after moving into her apartment, he meets Sophie Dumont (someone we'll tell you more about later on). It seems the movie is following the comics to at least a certain extent as he'll be a wannabe stand up comedian.

How Thomas Wayne Will Be Portrayed

Because Joker takes place from the point of view of Arthur, it sounds like that will have an impact on how certain characters are portrayed and may even lead to a slightly heightened take on proceedings. Batman's father is described as "cheesy, tanned" and rich-looking. He'll also be in his 60s so that has to mean Bruce is around at this stage, something which hasn't actually been confirmed by anyone yet.

It Doesn't Have A Huge Budget

Joker is the first of a new wave of DC Comics movies which will stand by themselves and won't be tied to the Justice League in any way. That means it's free from continuity and seemingly a sign that it won't have to adhere too closely to the comic books as we'll be getting something a little more...original? Time will tell on that front but with a budget of only $55 million, don't expect a huge CGI-fest here.

Zazie Beetz Is Sophie Dumond

Who? Sophie isn't a character from the comic books but she is someone who will be very important to Arthur Fleck in this movie. In fact, it sounds like she'll be a love interest of sorts and it could be that the heartbreak he endures because of her is what leads to his descent into madness. Regardless, she's described as being a single mother struggling to make ends meet and worn out by the grind of the city.

The Joker's Enemy

It's probably safe to assume that we won't see Batman make an appearance here and even if he does, it's unlikely to be for very long. However, the Clown Prince of Crime could have another foe of sorts in the form of Murray Franklin, a late-night TV host who many fans will humiliate Arthur in some way when he attempts to land a role on there. Murray will be played by the amazing Robert DeNiro.

Alec Baldwin Is No Longer Playing Thomas Wayne

The day after being cast as Thomas Wayne, Alec Baldwin announced that scheduling issues had resulted in him having to depart the DC Comics adaptation. However, it appears as if he didn't like the direction Todd Phillips was taking the character in because it sounds like he may have been asked to play a caricature not all that different to his performance as Donald Trump on Saturday Night Live.

This Isn't The Only Joker Movie In The Works

Warner Bros. has no plans to bring Superman back to the big screen but we're getting more than one movie about The Joker. Makes sense, right? Regardless, it's been confirmed that a standalone movie for Jared Leto's version of the iconic villain is still in the works but whether or not that will happen and is separate to the planned Joker vs. Harley Quinn spinoff isn't clear but that could be three we're getting!

Arthur's Crazy (?) Mother

As we mentioned above, Arthur comes back to Gotham City to care for his mother so how much do you want to bet she's unhinged, overbearing, and someone he probably ends up killing? It's said she can't believe what her life has come to and she's bedridden due to her failing health. Not much is known about her relationship with her son but common sense says we could see it worsen here.

Marc Maron's Role Revealed

Not too long ago, we learned that GLOW star Marc Maron had joined the cast of Joker but it's since been revealed that he will be taking on the role of a producer. That producer - while unnamed - has worked for Robert DeNiro's talk show host for a number of years and it's said that Maron will have only a very minor role in proceedings and most of his scenes will be with his legendary co-star in the film.

The Movie's Locations

This isn't overly revealing but it's said that a number of sets are being built for Joker, including a hotel, a bank, a "Good Morning" TV show, and mental hospital. It's easy to imagine the latter being Arkham Asylum and that could even be where Fleck winds up depending on how the story pans out. Either way, the first lot of set photos have revealed at least one iconic Gotham City location: Amusement Mile.

The Supporting Cast

A number of actors and characters have been confirmed for the movie, including Frances Conroy and Josh Pais, along with at least a couple of police detectives. That doesn't tell us much and it doesn't appear as if we're getting too many familiar faces from the comic books but don't be surprised if at least some well-known names make some surprise appearances throughout the course of this tale.

It's A "Cautionary Tale"

It's no secret that Joker will follow Fleck's descent into madness and the movie has been described as the "exploration of a man disregarded by society [that] is not only a gritty character study but also a broader cautionary tale." Presumably, that means we can expect to see the future villain make some big mistakes as his life unravels and he goes from stand up comic to totally unhinged madman.

It Will Be Set In The 1980s

Further distancing itself from what's happening in the DC Extended Universe, it's said that the movie will take place in the 1980s, something which should ensure it has a very different feel and one which fits into the tone set by The Killing Joke during the same period. Martin Scorcese - a producer on the project - is said to be an influence too so expect Todd Philips to take inspiration from Taxi Driver.

The New Thomas Wayne

We mentioned that Alec Baldwin is no longer playing Thomas Wayne but a replacement has now been found in the form of Brett Cullen. He's perhaps best known for The Dark Knight Rises and Narcos and is obviously nowhere near as well-known as his predecessor. Whether or not this signals a change in direction for the character is hard to say but it feels like we're getting a clean slate in the movie.

The Rating

Something which hasn't been made clear is whether or not Joker will end up being R-Rated. Given the cast and adult nature of the Clown Prince of Crime's origin story, it wouldn't be at all surprising if a more adult orientated approach is taken, especially with Todd Phillips (the man behind The Hangover trilogy) at the helm. Time will tell but avoiding PG-13 will also help distance this from other DC movies.

It's Not A "Superhero Movie"

"I wouldn’t say it’s a superhero movie, or a studio movie or a...It feels unique," says Phoenix about Joker, a movie which definitely sounds like it will be a far cry from the other DC Comics adaptations we've seen from the studio in recent years. He also promises that we should expect to see "incredible characters that are dealing with real-life struggles" and so it sounds like this will be very grounded.

The Release Date

Joker has only just started production but like most low budget movies, it's not going to take long until work is complete. A release date of October 4th, 2019 has already been set and that means we should start seeing some official material from this one sooner rather than later with a trailer a very real possibility either later this year or early next. I guess we'll just have to wait and see for now, though.

Unread 2018-09-17, 06:15 PM   #45
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Joker Cast & Crew Confirmed, Includes Bradley Cooper as Producer

Warner Bros. Pictures officially confirms the cast and crew for Todd Phillips' upcoming Joker origin movie, starring Joaquin Phoenix in the title role as the eventual Clown Prince of Crime. Following several years of developing the unofficially titled DC Extended Universe, WB decided to get back to what they do best: produce standalone, potentially critically-acclaimed comic book movies. It's something that they have been doing for decades now, but also something that they have recently forgone in favor of establishing a shared movie universe.

One of the first projects that will fall under a separate banner under DC Films - which will contain and produce movies that stand apart from the overarching DC movie universe surrounding the Justice League - is next year's Joker movie. Surprisingly, the film was given the green light and pushed into production rather quickly compared to the vast majority of other DC projects that have been gestating behind the scenes for years. And now that the film is currently filming, the studio has confirmed exactly who will be part of its cast and crew.

In a press release today, Warner Bros. confirmed the Joker movie's main cast, which includes Joaquin Phoenix as Arthur Fleck (the Joker's real name in the movie), as well as Robert De Niro. The film will also star Zazie Beetz, Bill Camp, Frances Conroy, Brett Cullen, Glenn Fleshler, Douglas Hodge, Marc Maron, Josh Pais, and Shea Whigham. Furthermore, Phillips will be producing the film with Bradley Cooper via their Joint Effort production company, alongside Emma Tillinger Koskoff.

While WB didn't confirm the characters each person will be playing, it was reported earlier today that Cullen will portray Batman's father, Thomas Wayne, who was previously going to be played by Alec Baldwin. Plus, the roles for the rest of the supporting cast has been rumored for quite some time, with Maron reportedly playing a producer for a talk show that is hosted by De Niro's character. Beetz, on the other hand, is supposedly playing a single mother named Sophie Dumond, who may act as a potential love interest for Phoenix's Fleck, presumably before he transforms into the Batman supervillain that everyone has come to know.

This news comes on the heels of the director revealing the first photo of Phoenix in character as Arthur Fleck (not necessarily the Clown Prince of Crime), with a handful of Joker set photos revealing key details about where in the DC world the film will take place as well as the story's connection to iconic Batman comic book arcs. At this point, though, fans shouldn't expect to see anything official from the movie for quite some time, seeing as production has only just gotten underway.

Unread 2018-09-18, 10:09 AM   #46
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

JOKER Press Release Reveals More Casting Additions; GOTG Star Bradley Cooper Listed As Producer

Joker has been shooting for a few days now but following the release of that first official look at Joaquin Phoenix as Arthur Fleck, we have a full cast and crew list which includes some big surprises...

Warner Bros. has announced that principal photography has begun on Joker in a movie the studio describes as revolving around "the iconic arch nemesis and is an original, standalone story not seen before on the big screen. [Todd] Phillips' exploration of Arthur Fleck (Joquin Phoenix), a man disregarded by society, is not only a gritty character study, but also a broader cautionary tale."

In terms of the cast, a full list has now been revealed and that includes Robert DeNiro (Taxi Driver), Zazie Beetz (Deadpool 2), Bill Camp (Red Sparrow), Frances Conroy (Castle Rock), Brett Cullen (Narcos), Glenn Fleshler (Billions), Douglas Hodge (Penny Dreadful), Marc Maron (GLOW), Josh Pais (Motherless Brooklyn), and Shea Whigham (Kong: Skull Island). Needless to say, that's quite an ensemble.

Behind the scenes, Joker is being produced by Phillips and Bradley Cooper under their Joint Effort banner, and longtime Martin Scorsese producer Emma Tillinger Koskoff. It is executive produced by Richard Baratta, Joseph Garner and Bruce Berman. Phillips is joined by director of photography Lawrence Sher (The Hangover), production designer Mark Friedberg (The Amazing Spider-Man 2), editor Jeff Groth (The Hangover), and Oscar-winning costume designer Mark Bridges (The Artist).

Interestingly, the only mention of DC in the press release is a throwaway mention that the screenplay is "based on characters from DC." Are you excited for Joker? Share your thoughts with us down below.

Unread 2018-09-18, 03:40 PM   #47
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

The Joker standalone movie continues to add to its unfairly good cast. Two days after we got our first glimpse of Joaquin Phoenix in character as a pre-transformation Joker, and a day after character actor Brett Cullen joined the cast as Thomas Wayne, Warner Bros. has released the full official Joker cast list, which features even more intriguing character actors joining the fray.
In the official cast list for Joker, DC confirms that uber-talented character actors Shea Whigham (Fargo), Glenn Fleshler (Barry), and Bill Camp (The Looming Tower) will be joining the previously reported cast of Frances Conroy, Zazie Beetz, Marc Maron, and Robert De Niro.
No character descriptions were released, but these additions only add to the perplexed excitement surrounding this film. Whigham is a stalwart character actor who has proven to be a consistent scene-stealer in everything from Kong: Skull Island to Vice Principals to Boardwalk Empire. He is no stranger to the superhero genre, having starred in the Marvel ABC series Agent Carter. And then there’s the Barry breakout Glenn Fleshler, whose dense build and looming stature makes him an instant standout in shows like True Detective and Billions. Last but not least, The Looming Tower star Bill Camp could be perfectly cast as a weary Gotham City detective similar to his role in HBO’s The Night Of.
Rounding out the new members of the cast is Douglas Hodge (Penny Dreadful) and Josh Pais (Ray Donovan). Lostalum Brett Cullen was already announced as the new Thomas Wayne, replacing Alec Baldwin.
The release also confirms that Phoenix, before he becomes the Clown Prince of Crime, is a struggling stand-up comedian named Arthur Fleck. That’s right, his name is A. Fleck — as if Warner Bros. wanted to hammer in a DCEU connection (because Ben Affleck, get it?), or perhaps it’s a nod to him being seen as insignificant as a fleck of dust. We had a hint of his name in director Todd Phillipsfirst image from the film, but now it’s official.
So what to make of all these new faces? Well, Phillips is certainly going all-in crafting a “gritty character study” with his Joker origin movie, which he co-wrote with Scott Silver (The Fighter). Though the film was originally billed as produced by Martin Scorsese — whose film The King of Comedy seems to be a major influence here — the filmmaker’s name seems to have disappeared from the credits and been replaced by Phillips’ Hangover star Bradley Cooper, who co-produces under Phillips’ Joint Effort banner alongside Emma Tillinger Koskoff.

Unread 2018-09-19, 08:48 AM   #48
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 271
Likes (Given): 70
Likes (Received): 2001
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 35

This movie sounds like a complete, fucking disaster.

BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2018-09-20, 11:49 AM   #49
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Latest Round Of JOKER Set Photos Feature More Arthur Fleck And Bryan Callen's Stripper

Another batch of photos from the set of Joker have been revealed today and as well as offering another look at Arthur Fleck, Bryan Callen's mysterious stripper character has also been spotted...

Shooting on Joker is currently taking place in New York City and the focus right now appears to be on Amusement Mile, a location from the comic books. As well as new shots of Arthur Fleck (Joaquin Phoenix) and a clown (Glenn Fleshler), we now get to see Bryan Callen's male stripper. What role he'll play in proceedings is hard to say but one theory is that Arthur does stand up in the club he works in.
JOKER: Everything You Need To Know About The Clown Prince Of Crime's Big Screen Origin Story

In the 80s, it wasn't unheard of for comedians to perform in strip joints and having to perform somewhere like that will more than likely play a role in pushing Arthur over the edge when he transforms into Gotham City's Clown Prince of Crime. What we don't know is whether the Dark Knight will factor into that but seeing as Thomas Wayne will play a role here, that seems highly unlikely.

Are you excited for Joker or do you think this original take on the Clown Prince of Crime's origin story is a huge mistake? Check out the set photos and then let us know your thoughts in the usual place.

Joaquin Phoenix Films 'Joker' Scenes in NYC - See More Pics From the Set!

Joaquin Phoenix is staying in character!
The 43-year-old actor was spotted back on the set of the upcoming Joker movie on Wednesday (September 19) in New York City.
PHOTOS: Check out the latest pics of Joaquin Phoenix
Co-stars Glenn Fleshler and Bryan Callen were also spotted filming alongside Joaquin during the scenes.
The movie is expected to hit theaters on October 4, 2019. Zazie Beetz, Robert De Niro and more are set to co-star.
Fans were treated to a first look of Joaquin as the Joker over the weekend. See the first pics from the set!

Unread 2018-09-23, 08:21 PM   #50
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

JOKER: Joaquin Phoenix Is All Smiles In These Devilish New Set Photos From His Upcoming Spinoff

Following that amazing camera test of Joaquin Phoenix in his full Joker makeup, riotous new set photos have surfaced of the 3x Academy Award-nominee wreaking havoc in the streets of Gotham.

It's been a decade since the late Heath Ledger (The Dark Knight) sent shivers down the spines of fans worldwide with his Academy Award-winning performance as the Joker and while that portrayal will likely never be topped, next year will see another acclaimed actor take on the notorious mantle as Warner Bros. treats us to the origin story of arguably one of most vile villains of all-time.

Following that wicked first look at Joaquin Phoenix in his full Joker makeup from earlier this week, Just Jared has snapped a ton of new shots of the 3x Academy Award-nominated actor on-set and in full costume while having the time of his life during a riot scene. Since filming just commenced a few weeks ago, it wouldn't be a stretch to assume this isn't his final look, although based on his crimson suit and devlish grin, this scene could take place later in the film than we may expect.
“Joker” centers around the iconic arch nemesis and is an original, standalone story not seen before on the big screen. Phillips’ exploration of Arthur Fleck (Phoenix), a man disregarded by society, is not only a gritty character study, but also a broader cautionary tale.

Tags
batman, joker, phoenix