Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > (Almost) Anything Goes

Unread 2019-03-18, 07:35 AM   #751
torqueburner

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 115
Thanks (Received): 19
Likes (Given): 433
Likes (Received): 241
Dislikes (Given): 18
Dislikes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeperAccord View Post
I wan't putting George on a pedestal he was an intensely negative guy. Not even my style of comedy, but that quote was a great illustration.

What do you mean about calming down about guns? You mean you want us to vote for gun control?
Absolutely not. I'm all for gun ownership.

Most of the kids have no idea what there taking about, and are speaking from a place of emotion, and not facts.
Unread 2019-03-18, 07:48 AM   #752
jwdb1fish

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 34
Thanks (Received): 491
Likes (Given): 62
Likes (Received): 4154
Dislikes (Given): 8
Dislikes (Received): 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueburner View Post
Absolutely not. I'm all for gun ownership.

Most of the kids have no idea what there taking about, and are speaking from a place of emotion, and not facts.

Gun control doesn’t not have to mean no gun ownership. Just make possessing a gun in public a mandatory 25year/mo parole sentence, and possession of a gun in the commission of a crime life/death penalty.

Have all the guns you want in your home, allow citizens without a criminal history to apply for permits for recreational use in certain instances, and have a zero tolerance lock ‘em up and throw away the key standard in every other situation.

I agree that we will never eliminate gun crime. But we can greatly reduce it once we stop allowing the “mah rights” crew to keep us in a perpetual state of gun violence.
Unread 2019-03-18, 08:23 AM   #753
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 271
Likes (Given): 70
Likes (Received): 1995
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdb1fish View Post
Gun control doesn’t not have to mean no gun ownership. Just make possessing a gun in public a mandatory 25year/mo parole sentence, and possession of a gun in the commission of a crime life/death penalty.

Have all the guns you want in your home, allow citizens without a criminal history to apply for permits for recreational use in certain instances, and have a zero tolerance lock ‘em up and throw away the key standard in every other situation.

I agree that we will never eliminate gun crime. But we can greatly reduce it once we stop allowing the “mah rights” crew to keep us in a perpetual state of gun violence.
It's already a felony for felons to possess firearms AT ALL, yet they are often the ones out there doing the shooting. Why isn't it stopping them?

Also how would your laws have prevented Adam Lanza from shooting up that school in CT?

BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2019-03-18, 08:27 AM   #754
jwdb1fish

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyLee View Post
It's already a felony for felons to possess firearms AT ALL, yet they are often the ones out there doing the shooting. Why isn't it stopping them?

Also how would your laws have prevented Adam Lanza from shooting up that school in CT?

Then make it a one strike and you’re out penalty.

I already said it for those in the back that aren’t paying attention, but one more time- we will never fully eliminate gun violence in this hot mess we have created for ourselves.

That should not stop us from doing what we can to reduce it. It’s not about what you can’t do, it’s about what you can.
jwdb1fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2019-03-18, 08:31 AM   #755
phreakdna

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 172
Thanks (Received): 123
Likes (Given): 440
Likes (Received): 655
Dislikes (Received): 36

Quote:
why does any suggestion of change need to solve all instances of gun violence? the only way the current, "get murdered at just about any time for just about any reason", situation changes is if we actually try things and see what works then pull back from what doesn't and try something else.

unless you believe that Americans are uniquely homicidal in the world, we are clearly fucking shit up compared with the rest of the world and the answers aren't going to come in one go.
Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that ”all men are created equal.” We now practically read it “all men are created equal, except negroes” When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read “all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics.” When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocricy. - Lincoln
phreakdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2019-03-18, 09:00 AM   #756
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakdna View Post
why does any suggestion of change need to solve all instances of gun violence? the only way the current, "get murdered at just about any time for just about any reason", situation changes is if we actually try things and see what works then pull back from what doesn't and try something else.

unless you believe that Americans are uniquely homicidal in the world, we are clearly fucking shit up compared with the rest of the world and the answers aren't going to come in one go.
I DO believe our culture makes us uniquely homicidal. So far the only thing we seem willing to try is to restrict access to a tool. Various states have various rules on such restrictions. At the time of the CT shooting, that state had the 3rd strictest laws on the books. It did nothing to stop the shooting as the guns used were obtained legally at their time of purchase. Lanza technically stole them to commit his crimes.

I focus on one kind of violence because it's only win that one kind (mass shootings, typically in places of education) happens that the fever of further restriction comes to bare.

I believe we have an adequate amount of restriction in place. Now it's time to insert measures that address the human behavior component.

Unread 2019-03-18, 09:29 AM   #757
DIYAutoRepair
**Sponsor**

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 202
Likes (Given): 74
Likes (Received): 1370
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 29

Quote:
Now it's time to insert measures that address the human behavior component.
I can agree with BL on something.

These are so remote I am always on the look out for them.
Visit us at http://diyautorepairkc.com/
or call (913) 226-3806

Favorite car from the past (73 Pinto)
DIYAutoRepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2019-03-18, 12:57 PM   #758
Corners

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 186
Likes (Given): 533
Likes (Received): 1148

Quote:

Question, do you think taking such a hard stance on "gun violence" is hypocritical from a person who participates in street racing and modifies emissions control equipment on vehicles knowing those two things contribute to many more deaths? Should a similar hard position be taken on known more dangerous activities as well?

It's known that about 80% of homicides occur with illegally owned firearms, and up to 33% of all homicides are gang and drug related (a portion related to border security), so just curious as to how making guns more illegal will make people not want to kill other people.

Study: Air pollution causes 200,000 early deaths each year in the U.S. - http://news.mit.edu/2013/study-air-p...in-the-us-0829

"We must love each other, show affection for each other and unite together in condemnation of hatred, bigotry and violence. We must rediscover the bonds of love and loyalty that bring us together as Americans" - President Trump
Corners is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2019-03-18, 01:23 PM   #759
jwdb1fish

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corners View Post
Question, do you think taking such a hard stance on "gun violence" is hypocritical from a person who participates in street racing and modifies emissions control equipment on vehicles knowing those two things contribute to many more deaths? Should a similar hard position be taken on known more dangerous activities as well?

It's known that about 80% of homicides occur with illegally owned firearms, and up to 33% of all homicides are gang and drug related (a portion related to border security), so just curious as to how making guns more illegal will make people not want to kill other people.

Study: Air pollution causes 200,000 early deaths each year in the U.S. - http://news.mit.edu/2013/study-air-p...in-the-us-0829

Can you please enlighten me about what’s not up to snuff with my exhaust?
Unread 2019-03-18, 01:29 PM   #760
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Can you please enlighten me about what’s not up to snuff with my exhaust?
I'm a criminal. I don't have any cats.

Unread 2019-03-18, 01:31 PM   #761
jwdb1fish

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
I'm a criminal. I don't have any cats.

I’m still full exhaust for now.

Might be jailed in a few weeks though
Unread 2019-03-18, 01:55 PM   #762
xXSTi-lynXx

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 222
Thanks (Received): 135
Likes (Given): 1228
Likes (Received): 1046
Dislikes (Given): 69
Dislikes (Received): 83

Quote:
I'm a criminal.
For Assault?

Did someone mouth off about your noisy kid in a restaurant?

Unread 2019-03-18, 02:01 PM   #763
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXSTi-lynXx View Post
For Assault?

Did someone mouth off about your noisy kid in a restaurant?

yes, one time. He never did it again.

Unread 2019-03-18, 02:06 PM   #764
xXSTi-lynXx

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 222
Thanks (Received): 135
Likes (Given): 1228
Likes (Received): 1046
Dislikes (Given): 69
Dislikes (Received): 83

Quote:
But who got the assualt charge?
Unread 2019-03-18, 04:26 PM   #765
torqueburner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Been there......
Unread 2019-03-18, 04:30 PM   #766
torqueburner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corners View Post

Don't get caught up in the troll...
Unread 2019-09-06, 04:02 PM   #767
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Pro-Gun Forces Make Stand With Remington In Sandy Hook Case

Anti-gun activists have lamented their inability to hold gun companies accountable for the actions of private parties for years. A favorite tactic in days gone by was to argue that companies like Smith & Wesson and Ruger were responsible for criminal actions undertaken by private citizens who were misusing those companies’ products. It was somehow their fault that someone used a gun to shoot another person.

The Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act was passed in 2005 to curtail that.

However, that hasn’t stopped anti-gun efforts. Usually, the court tosses the case because, well, they’re stupid. It’s what should have happened before the law was passed, but it didn’t.

Yet not every case has been tossed. Remington is still being sued regarding the Sandy Hook shooting. Attorneys argued that Remington’s marketing was somehow responsible for the killer’s acts, this despite the killer not having actually purchased the gun.

Now, pro-gun forces are making it a point to stand with Remington as the case proceeds.
Ten states and nearly two dozen members of Congress are joining the National Rifle Association in supporting gun-maker Remington Arms as it fights a Connecticut court ruling involving liability for the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting.
Officials in the 10 conservative states, 22 House Republicans and the NRA are among groups that filed briefs with the U.S. Supreme Court on Tuesday and Wednesday. They urged justices to overturn the Connecticut decision, citing a much-debated 2005 federal law that shields gun makers from liability, in most cases, when their products are used in crimes.

Citing one of the few exemptions in the 2005 federal law, the Connecticut Supreme Court ruled 4-3 in March that Remington could be sued under state law over how it marketed the rifle. The decision overturned a ruling by a state trial court judge who dismissed the lawsuit based on the federal law, named the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act.

One of the supporting papers filed this week was by officials in Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Texas, Utah and West Virginia.
Pro-gun forces are clearly digging in for this fight, as well they should. After all, this is the kind of thing that could have far-reaching implications in the firearm industry and, in theory, into other industries as well. Imagine Ford being sued because their marketing suggested that the Mustang is good for street racing, thus making them liable for injuries or deaths occurring from a street race. The courts would bog down with nonsense like this.
In addition to the NRA and these states, the Gun Owners of America have filed a brief as well.
From a press release sent out on Thursday:
Gun Owners of America (GOA) has filed an Amici Curiae brief in the U.S. Supreme Court urging the High Court to reaffirm a federal law which gives firearms manufacturers and dealers protection from lawsuits seeking to hold them responsible for crimes committed by third parties.
In 2005, Congress enacted the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act (PLCAA), and this law worked well for many years in preventing lawsuits seeking to financially ruin firearms manufacturers and dealers. Supported by many of the anti-gun organizations that opposed PLCAA, these suits seek to achieve back-door gun control, by running firearms companies out of business.
Although other Courts — including the famously liberal Ninth Circuit — have properly applied the PLCAA, the Connecticut Supreme Court, by a 4 to 3 vote, turned that law on its head to allow plaintiffs a way to sue Remington and others for the Sandy Hook school shooting.
The Connecticut Court repeatedly characterized the AR-15 type weapon used as militaristic and dangerous, even though it is one of the most popular rifles made and sold today. The Connecticut Court found offensive certain standard advertisements for the rifle used in the shooting, which highlighted the power of these rifles, claiming that these ads somehow caused the shootings to occur.
“This case involves a flagrantly erroneous state court interpretation of an important federal statute which protects the People’s exercise of the constitutionally enumerated right to keep and bear arms,” the brief states. “Left uncorrected, this one errant decision will impair significantly the finances of companies in the firearms business, and second, infringe the exercise of the Second Amendment’s inherent right of all Americans to keep and bear arms.”
Erich Pratt, senior vice president of GOA said, “GOA and our two million members and supporters urge the Supreme Court to take up this case. Just as we don’t punish car manufacturers for the deeds of a drunk driver, we shouldn’t punish a firearm manufacturer for the deeds of a madman. Furthermore, firearms are used overwhelming used for good — as tools to save life.”
GOA was joined in this brief by its legal arm, Gun Owners Foundation (GOF), The Heller Foundation, and a number of other pro-gun organizations.
The brief can be read here.
The truth is, everyone’s rolling out the big guns on this because it’s just that important. Not just for the Second Amendment or the firearm industry, but for the First Amendment as well. Companies shouldn’t be criticized for marketing a product in such a way that it attracts buyers simply because someone might misuse the product. In fact, so far as I know, there’s no evidence the killer had even seen any of the marketing materials Remington used. He simply chose that rifle because that’s what his mother had, so he killed her and took it.

None of that is on Remington, so my hope is the courts listen to these briefs and rule accordingly.

B68 | F82 |///M | S55B | NAV | LED | Avant Garde | Toyo Proxes 4
JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote