Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Computers, Teh Interweb, Gaming, Electronics

Unread 2009-10-21, 09:46 PM   #101
jmc816

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 4
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 0

turn off message notification in default messaging...

turn off pop up in handcent settings.

I prefer chompsms myself.
Unread 2009-10-21, 10:11 PM   #102
joesstripclub

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Received): 6
Dislikes (Given): 1

So I know that the Hero came with andriod 1.5 (cupcake), but has anyone noticed it pretty much has all the improvements that are supposed to come with donut? Just my observation...maybe someone can disprove it
Unread 2009-10-21, 10:53 PM   #103
KUweatherman
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 402
Thanks (Received): 363
Likes (Given): 4965
Likes (Received): 2124
Dislikes (Given): 121
Dislikes (Received): 174

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc816 View Post
turn off message notification in default messaging...

turn off pop up in handcent settings.

I prefer chompsms myself.
Thanks. I had been playing with settings before trying to get it juuuuust right, but failing. Works how I want it to now. I haven't tried ChompSMS, but from screenshots I've seen it doesn't look too different than Handcent. Why do you prefer it?

Justin, still don't have an answer to your blinking LED question at the moment.
Unread 2009-10-21, 10:55 PM   #104
KUweatherman
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashNBurn View Post
New Android user checking in. Just got my Hero today. Night and day difference on speed compared to the Touch Pro. Now just to get some apps on this whore.
It's pretty snappy when not a lot of programs are open. However, it lags quite a bit once tons of apps are running or didnt close all the way; which is why a Task Manager is the first thing you should download.
Unread 2009-10-22, 09:50 PM   #105
babymobilss
Information Police

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 39
Thanks (Received): 145
Likes (Given): 236
Likes (Received): 818
Dislikes (Given): 34
Dislikes (Received): 23

just got a mytouch! love it so far just not used to a touchscreen keboard yet.
Unread 2009-10-22, 09:58 PM   #106
joesstripclub

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUweatherman View Post
It's pretty snappy when not a lot of programs are open. However, it lags quite a bit once tons of apps are running or didnt close all the way; which is why a Task Manager is the first thing you should download.
I accidentally hit clear all open processes and I was amazed how much memory freed up. It does annoy me though some processes auto run for some reason even if you dont open them. Navigation seems to be one of these auto-runners.
Unread 2009-10-22, 10:02 PM   #107
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Android turns one: first year stats

Happy birthday Android! It’s hard to believe, but Google’s mobile OS is a year old today, and we’ve got the facts and figures showing what impact it’s made right here.

Precisely a year ago today, Google launched Android by making it open source and available to all. The first Android phone, HTC’s T-Mobile G1, launched a week later, and while it took the best part of 10 months for other companies to chime in with their efforts, the Android revolution is now well and truly underway with Samsung, Huawei and Motorola all selling Google blowers, and LG and Sony Ericsson hurriedly preparing their offerings.

Read our HTC Tattoo review now

The G1 is also the second most popular smartphone for surfing online, after the iPhone, and although the Android Market is still playing catch up to the iPhone App Store in hard sales, it’s getting close in relative popularity: AdMob’s survey found that Android users download 9.1 apps a month, compared to 10.2 for iPhone obsessives. And for the next year? Expect plenty more Android phones to come, as well as everything from Android e-readers to netbooks and PMPs, as well as the promising 2.0 update.

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 0 Likes, 3 Dislikes
Dislikes animal, focusandy, rich94 disliked this post
JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2009-10-22, 10:03 PM   #108
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Image leak shows Android-based HTC Desire headed for Verizon

An image has surfaced that allegedly shows the upcoming HTC Desire handset that will be heading for Verizon. Although the latest image, posted on the Boy Genius Report, appears to have been captured in poor lighting conditions, the overall form matches an earlier photo showing the Android-based handset fondled by Google head Eric Schmidt.

The source providing the dark image claims the device is "extremely fast," while the size is similar to the Hero. The Android OS is also paired with the Sense user-interface found with other carriers.

Specific details and a launch time-frame have yet to be confirmed, although early reports suggest the device may arrive sometime later this month.

Unread 2009-10-22, 10:06 PM   #109
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Motorola Droid official specifications leaked: 16:9 touchscreen, DVD-quality video, 0.5" thick

Whoops! Motorola’s dedicated site to the Droid Google Android 2.0-based smartphone on Verizon accidentally went live tonight, and it’s chock full of stats and specs for the highly-anticipated device.

The site calls it a “pint-sized power plant,” “app-mashing” and “multitasking” with “power” and “intelligence.” In other words, putting the smart back into smartphone.

Here’s the rundown of nearly everything you need to know about the Motorola Droid:

Quote:
* Google Android 2.0 (Eclair)
* CDMA 1X 800/1900, EVDO Rev. A
* Sliding QWERTY form factor
* 5 megapixel camera with image stabilization, 4X digital zoom, dual LED flash, auto-focus
* Video capture/playback capability: DVD quality up to 24 fps; D1 (720×480) resolution
* Music player
* Formats: AAC, H.263, H.264, MP3, MPEG-4, WAV, WMA, eAAC+, AMR WB, MIDI, AMR NB, AAC+, streaming audio and video
* Battery life: up to 385 minutes continuous usage. 1400 mAh Li-ion; up to 270 hours standby
* E-mail: IMAP, POP3, Exchange
* MMS, SMS, IM incl. Google Talk
* Predictive text
* Image formats: BMP, PNG, GIF, JPEG
* Standard voice mail; Verizon Visual Voicemail capable
* Stereo Bluetooth v2.1+EDR
* Sync with: MS Exchange, Gmail, corp. calendar (Exchange ‘03 and ‘07), Google Cal
* 802.11 b/g Wi-Fi
* microUSB connector (USB 2.0)
* aGPS, sGPS
* Webkit HTML5 web browser; Flash 10 available 2010
* 3.5mm headset jack
* Caller ID, picture ID, ringer ID
* speakerphone
* speech recognition, voice dialing
* auto-answer, auto-redial, conference calling, emergency dial, on hold call, speed dial, vibration
* dual microphone noise reduction
* Unified contact list/phonebook (Gmail, Exchange, Facebook)
* Google services: Android Market, Gmail, Calendar, Contact, Maps + Street View, Search, Voice Search, Talk, Turn-by-turn directions, YouTube
* QuickOffice Document Viewer
* Amazon MP3 Store, Facebook
* Backlit TFT 3.7-inch WVGA (480×854) 16:9 widescreen display (267 PPI)
* Dedicated keys for volume, camera, back, search, menu, home, lock
* Haptic feedback
* Ambient and proximity light sensors
* Virtual keyboard
* Voice commands
* Ringtones, wallpapers
* Weight: 6.0 oz.
* 2.4 in. wide by 4.6 in. tall by 0.5 in. thick
* Color: “Licorice with brown sugar accents”
* Internal antenna
* Accelerometer
* 550MHz processor
* 16GB microSD removable storage pre-installed; up to 32GB
* Calculator
* Alarm clock
* Flight mode

The only thing left to know? Price (unknown, but $200 is a good guess) and specific availability (early November thus far).

This might be widely touted as an iPhone killer, but my bet’s more in line with “BlackBerry killer.” What do you think?

Unread 2009-10-23, 09:17 AM   #110
99ls1guy

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 10
Dislikes (Given): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUweatherman View Post
Thanks. I had been playing with settings before trying to get it juuuuust right, but failing. Works how I want it to now. I haven't tried ChompSMS, but from screenshots I've seen it doesn't look too different than Handcent. Why do you prefer it?

Justin, still don't have an answer to your blinking LED question at the moment.
I gave up on that. Green and Orange seem to be the only options that work, but you can still change the blinking pattern or make your own. Thats good enough for now to distinguish what its blinking for. Other colors would be nice though.

I also wish it had the proximity sensor like my Pre had. I never knew how convenient it was until I didnt have it. Pulling the phone away from your face to look at it, and the screen still being black, gets annoying.
Unread 2009-10-23, 04:41 PM   #111
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Motorola Droid Reviewed: "You're Going To Love It"

Boy Genius came away with a great first impression of the Motorola Droid, but their expanded review of a pre-release version of the handset reveals more about why it might have the right stuff to take on the iPhone.

We already knew that they loved the build quality, but in this in-depth review we found out more about the Droid's functionality and performance. BGR felt the Droid "sounded great as a phone" and that it made calls quickly and smoothly. It also works great with Google Voice—natch. They continued to rave about the large capacitive screen calling it "crisp, sharp, vibrant, bright, and really, really responsive." No problems with the batter life either—it was deemed the best of any Android device they ever tested. Officially, it is supposed to get 6.5 hours of continual usage and around 270 hours of standby. These figures weren't confirmed, but they did say that they could easily get a day's worth of usage (with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth disabled). Definitely impressive for a user-replaceable battery.

As far as the keyboard is concerned, BGR found some flaws: the feedback was lacking, keys were a bit too close together and the directional pad can be wonky at times. However, they were pleased with its performance overall. What's most interesting about this is that they used the opportunity to drop a little nugget about the possibility of Motorola building a keyboard-less version. To this end they definitively stated "they are."

Again, the software wasn't finalized on this version, so it is conceivable that the Droid could get even better before launch. Either way, it seems like Motorola and Android might have a winner on their hands

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/...droid-preview/

Unread 2009-10-24, 02:11 AM   #112
KUweatherman
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

I want a 'unified email inbox'
Unread 2009-10-24, 02:40 AM   #113
Sparticus95

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 36
Likes (Given): 38
Likes (Received): 211
Dislikes (Received): 3

Finally, someone to compete against the iphone!!! Don't get me wrong, I have an iphone, I just find that products progress faster and more rapidly with better competition to drive them. Much like the last two years and video cards, seems like every 6 months or so, a video card comes out twice as powerful as before. I want to see phones do this, because while I have seen many close calls, if not narrow misses, or even narrow surpases, to the iphone, nothing to make it shiver in its boots. Plus, I am due for an upgrade soon, I would like to have the most bad-ass tech available when that happens, be it apple's iphone successor to the 3gs or a droid phone of some kind, or even a blackberry (I enjoyed my pearl while it lasted).

Sparticus95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2009-10-24, 08:20 AM   #114
ItalionStallion888
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 184
Thanks (Received): 260
Likes (Given): 2190
Likes (Received): 1601
Dislikes (Given): 68
Dislikes (Received): 73

jason is that process to down load donut going to be ok?
ItalionStallion888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2009-10-24, 10:20 AM   #115
baker
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 83
Likes (Given): 66
Likes (Received): 485
Dislikes (Given): 10
Dislikes (Received): 30

i know when the droid comes out i am for sure switching over
Unread 2009-10-25, 03:14 AM   #116
KUweatherman
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Yes! Boxwave finally has their screen protectors up for the Hero. Pre-order now to be shipped on the 30th. I've used their screen protectors on previous phones and my iPod Touch. I've never needed to replace one so they are worth the $12.95.

http://www.boxwave.com/accessories/s...ctors_3718.htm
Unread 2009-10-26, 07:26 PM   #117
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalionStallion888 View Post
jason is that process to down load donut going to be ok?
From what I have been reading (should backup to a SD card to just be safe) but that is just like any computer etc..

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 0 Likes, 2 Dislikes
Dislikes animal, rich94 disliked this post
Unread 2009-10-26, 07:27 PM   #118
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Is This Verizon's Android 2.0 Version of the HTC HD2?

Looks like that unknown HTC handset may be the Android equivalent of the HD2—complete with speedy 1GHz Snapdragon processor (like the upcoming Acer Liquid). And it's rumored to hit Verizon by year's end as the HTC Passion.

The HD2 is probably the most interesting WinMo 6.5 phone out there (even though it won't arrive in the U.S until early next year, possibly on T-Mobile). Besides the 1GHz Snapdragon processor, it's got that huge 4.3-inch capacitive touchscreen—so an Android 2.0 version sounds pretty exciting. If the rumor is true, of course.

UnLockr, who dug up the original mystery pics, believes the Passion is the CDMA version of the HTC Dragon, and suggests the hardware buttons are similar to the Motorola Droid handset because Verizon wants to have their Android devices controlled as uniformly as possible. That kinda makes sense, especially now that we're hearing "Droid" may actually represent the name of Verizon's entire Android series.

We'll know more after Verizon's Droid event on Wednesday, but fingers crossed on the Passion. A beautiful big screen on what could be the first truly fast Android phone available. Verizon could get on a roll with this whole Android thing. [UnLockr]

Unread 2009-10-26, 07:31 PM   #119
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Big Cellphone Makers Shifting to Android System

Since 1996, Microsoft has been writing operating systems for little computers to carry in your pocket. It was a lonely business until the company’s perennial rival, Apple, introduced the Web-browsing, music-playing iPhone. But now that smartphones are popular, Microsoft’s operating system, Windows Mobile, is foundering. More cellphone makers are turning to the free Android operating system made by Microsoft’s latest nemesis, Google.

Cellphone makers that have used Windows Mobile to run their top-of-the-line smartphones — including Samsung, LG, Kyocera, Sony Ericsson — are now also making Android devices. Twelve Android handsets have been announced this year, with dozens more expected next year. Motorola has dropped Windows Mobile from its line entirely in a switch to Android. HTC, a major cellphone maker, expects half its phones sold this year to run Android. Dell is using Android for its entry into the cellphone market.

All four of the largest carriers in the United States have now agreed to offer Android phones. When the first Android handset, the G1 from HTC, was introduced last fall, only T-Mobile offered it. Now, Verizon, the largest carrier, is putting a huge promotional push behind the Droid from Motorola, set to be introduced this week. Even AT&T, the home of the iPhone, recently said it would join the Android party next year.

Google is rapidly introducing updates to Android, each named after a bakery sweet. Version 1.5 (cupcake) came out in April, version 1.6 (donut) appeared in September. Version 2.0 (éclair) is expected to appear on the Droid.

“A lot of manufacturers are walking into our office and talking about how important Android is becoming to them,” said Cole Brodman, the chief development officer of T-Mobile, the first carrier to sell phones with Google’s software. “Android is ramping with more manufacturers and more price points. It is going to have a pretty significant impact.”

Android is on only 1.8 percent of smartphones worldwide, according to Gartner, and Windows Mobile software still dwarfs Android. But Microsoft is slipping. The percentage of smartphones using the Windows Mobile system has plummeted to 9.3 percent, from 12 percent in the second quarter of 2008. Microsoft fell behind Apple, which shot up to 13.3 percent, from 2.8 percent. (Nokia’s Symbian operating system is the world leader, followed by Research In Motion’s OS for its BlackBerrys.)

Android does have its share of doubters. “The industry has decided that Android is going to be a huge hit, but I’m skeptical,” said Tero Kuittinen, an analyst with MKM Partners. “To have legs, you have to be a hit. The first three Android devices didn’t connect with the mass market.”

Nevertheless, Android is free, while Windows Mobile costs manufacturers $15 to $25 a phone.

Google’s software is intended for modern screens you tap with a finger, while Windows Mobile was built for use with a stylus. Android has attracted far more applications for consumers in the first year than Windows Mobile has in a decade. As a result, Android is winning over the world’s largest cellphone makers.

One part of the appeal is that, unlike other operating systems, Android is open source software, so anyone can use or change it.

“We have access to the source code,” said Sanjay Jha, the co-chief executive of Motorola. “To do that on any other platform would be very difficult.”

HTC, the Taiwanese cellphone company that has grown quickly in recent years making only Windows Mobile phones, also finds the customization attractive because Android phones allow users to add apps. “Customers are really embracing personalization, and Android brings that to the forefront,” said Jason Mackenzie, HTC’s vice president for North America.

Windows Mobile, by contrast, appeals more to corporate computing managers who like how it connects to Microsoft’s e-mail and office software.

“A year ago, we significantly changed our strategy,” said Andrew Lees, Microsoft’s senior vice president for the Windows Mobile effort. “Our value proposition is you can get your business and your consumer scenarios on the PC, and in a relevant way for you on the phone.”

But Microsoft has not announced a release date for Windows Mobile 7.

“You will see a speedy set of innovation for us in the next 6, 12, 24 months,” said Robert J. Bach, president of Microsoft’s entertainment and devices division at a news media event in New York to introduce a quick revision of the operating system called Windows Mobile 6.5. “Should we have picked up on the trends a little sooner? It’s hard not to say we should have,” he added.

So far, Microsoft has not been able to answer critics who say its operating system is old, slow and hard to use.

“Windows Mobile is simply dated, and that hasn’t changed in this release,” said Avi Greengart, research director for consumer devices at Current Analysis.

Indeed, a J. D. Power & Associates survey found that Windows Mobile had the lowest satisfaction rating among customers of any smartphone operating system. The iPhone has by far the most satisfying software, the study found. Android is a distant second, followed closely by BlackBerry’s operating system.

Windows Mobile scored below average on every attribute, said Kirk Parsons, director of the study, especially in ease of operation, speed and stability.

Android’s supporters say that in contrast, Google’s software and the devices that run it are evolving very quickly.

“They started with the base layer of capabilities,” Kevin Packingham, senior vice president for product and technology development at Sprint. “What was missing from the first generation was the user interface that really gets to consumers.”

Mr. Packingham said he was confident that Android phones would gain popularity.

“In the next year, there is the potential for Android to have huge growth and market share,” he said.

Unread 2009-10-26, 07:41 PM   #120
offensive
No I am NOT a girl.

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 21
Likes (Received): 1756
Dislikes (Given): 18
Dislikes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by offensive View Post
anyone use cyanogen mod besides me?
Unread 2009-10-26, 07:53 PM   #121
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

HTC confirms it has Android 2.0 handsets in the works

t looks like Motorola aren't the only people to get a taste of that yummy Eclair - otherwise known as Android 2.0. The Android 2.0 software launch is going very oddly. Google hasn't announced the OS or SDK, but Verizon says the Motorola Droid will be running the OS. The Android 2.0 Droid will be officially announced on Oct. 28 by all accounts.

My suspicions were raised because Samsung's Moment, which came out this week, runs Android 1.5. Unlike on Motorola's CLIQ, Android on the Moment isn't highly customized. So it's a little perplexing that while Verizon and Motorola are talking Android 2.0, Sprint and Samsung still appear to be on version 1.5. Was Motorola getting preferential access to version 2?

I asked Samsung and HTC, the two other Android phone manufacturers in the US, whether they were working on Android 2.0 phones. Samsung wouldn't say, but HTC confirmed that they've had Android 2.0 in-house for a while and are working with it for future phones.

This is important because Android's status as an open OS relies on Google not playing favorites. The HTC G1, Android's proof of concept, was a special case; now, Android's strength is in part that it doesn't play favorites. If carriers and manufacturers start making exclusive deals for Android releases, that will reduce the OS's broad appeal.

Unfortunately, nobody had any word on whether existing Android phones could be upgraded to Android 2.0. We're expecting to hear an official Android 2.0 announcement this week, which could clear up some of the confusion.

Unread 2009-10-26, 08:00 PM   #122
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

HTC You ad campaign unveiled (update: video!)

HTC's definitely been a major name amonst the gadget cognoscenti for a while now, but it looks like the company's gearing up to go mainstream -- this is the first print ad from the new HTC You campaign that's launching today. Considering HTC's recent slew of high-profile handset launches like the Hero, HD2, and Tilt2 and equally-promising upcoming products like the Dragon and Droid Eris, we'd say this marketing push hasn't come a moment too soon. As for the ad itself, while it's not exactly a knockdown punch, it certainly suggests that HTC sees Sense UI as its ace in the hole -- we'll see how that plays out as Android 2.0 phones like the Motorola Droid come out and make stock Android sexy again.

Update: And the commercials have gone live on YouTube as well -- we gotta say, we're pretty into them. Check 'em after the break.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/26/h...led/#continued

Unread 2009-10-26, 08:04 PM   #123
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Verizon's Droid is a series, not just a phone; Droid Eris coming from HTC

We just got some wild information from a trusted source about Verizon's Android strategy, and let's just say this shakes things up a little bit. Here are the big takeaways:

* Droid is the brand name being applied to Verizon's Android devices. It isn't a single phone.
* The Sholes -- the phone we've been calling the Droid so far -- may simply be known as the Droid.
* HTC's Desire will be coming to market as the "Droid Eris." (Allow us to save you the Wikipedia lookup -- Eris is the Greek goddess of strife.) Interestingly, it's already up on gdgt as such.
* Droid Eris will be released -- not announced, actually released -- on November 6. In all likelihood, it will not be announced or shown at Verizon's October 28 event -- that will probably just be for the Sholes.

That's all we've got so far, but it's a heck of a change in plans, isn't it? It's interesting that Verizon will be applying a sub-brand to its Android line -- and a pretty solid sign that Big Red's got a serious commitment to the platform going forward.

Unread 2009-10-26, 08:42 PM   #124
offensive
No I am NOT a girl.

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 21
Likes (Received): 1756
Dislikes (Given): 18
Dislikes (Received): 50

blah my posts keep getting over looked!

is anyone actually into modding their phones? or just dick around with shitty apps?

I'm thinking of switching my firmware over to the hero rom but im not sure yet. ive been using cyanogen's mod with the default radio but google kinda fucked that for us modders!
Unread 2009-10-26, 10:02 PM   #125
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by offensive View Post
blah my posts keep getting over looked!

is anyone actually into modding their phones? or just dick around with shitty apps?

I'm thinking of switching my firmware over to the hero rom but im not sure yet. ive been using cyanogen's mod with the default radio but google kinda fucked that for us modders!
As soon as I start using my phone again I will get to modding it

CyanogenMod goes legal and stable

CyanogenMod ran into some trouble last month when Google asked the creator Steve Kondik to pull down his custom versions of Android. Google did not appreciate that Steve was distributing their closed source apps (yeah Android has lots of closed bits) and CyanogenMod was temporarily put on ice. The minor setback did not stop Steve and he began working on a new experimental build that excluded the Google apps, but still allowed users to back them up and use them.

After several weeks of testing, CyanogenMod 4.2.1 STABLE was released one month to the day of the cease and desist letter from Google. CyanogenMod is our favorite flavor of Android and I already loaded it on both of my Android phones. If you were stuck on CM-4.0.4 stable, now is the time to update. The update process is fairly simple and only takes a few minutes.

Highlights of CyanogenMod 4.2.1 stable include:

* UNIVERSAL! Runs on both Dream and Magic 32B
* Based on Android 1.6, many bugfixes and enhancements from AOSP, XDA, and me
* Highly optimized kernel with many extra modules
* Enhanced ramdisk which uses optimal mount options and smart startup
* Includes E2FSProgs for checking and converting Ext filesystems
* Apps2SD is automatic! All you need is a second partition (ext).
* Launcher with 5 screens and auto-orientation and compact drawer layout
* Clean filesystem shutdown at poweroff/reboot, and fsck at boot (no FS corruption!)
* Includes T-Mobile IM application, Amazon MP3 store, and Work Email (MS Exchange support)
* Does not require “DangerSPL”
* Includes a massive APN list
* Maximum CPU scaling frequency set to 528MHz with latency tweaks
* Various enhancements to the Settings app including extra partition space
* Phone app enhancements by cytown
* Loccy’s “BetterBrowser”
* MMS enhancements from rgv151
* FLAC audio support thanks to kroot
* Commandline extras: powertop, htop, nano, busybox, openvpn, openobex tools
* Ability to lock home app in memory (control in Spare Parts app)

For help installing CyanogenMod, visit the official wiki. I used to write guides for installing these custom builds, but I think it has been documented enough by now. You might as well use the official instructions anyway. If you really need help or have questions, anyone is free to drop by our forums and start a new thread.

I also suggest dropping by the official CyanogenMod site and placing a donation if you enjoy running Steve’s builds on your phone.

And for our new readers, I suggest you read The dangers of rooting your Android phone if you are curious about hacking your new phone.

Tags
android, cupcake, donut, eclair, froyo, galaxy, gingerbread, honeycomb, ice cream sandwhich, jelly bean, kit-kat, lollipop, marshmallow, nexus, nougat, oreo