Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Computers, Teh Interweb, Gaming, Electronics

Unread 2016-09-23, 09:39 PM   #1
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Default Google Wi-Fi

Google Wi-Fi Will Be A “Mesh” Technology To Fill Weak Spots

According to new details from Droid Life, Google Wi-Fi, a new home product that will be announced on October 4th, will be built and aimed at consumers as a mesh technology to help fill weak spots in local home Wi-Fi networks. The units will reportedly be dual-band and each unit will have two open ports as well as support AC1200 speeds, 802.15.4 radios, and Bluetooth to allow for a quick setup. Users can sort of think of this as a range extender, although that term was not used, but the idea is similar in that range extenders are used to give home Wi-Fi networks more coverage in hopes of spreading the connection of the Wi-Fi signal to every single corner of the home. Google Wi-Fi is said to have the same goal, to allow people the ability to strengthen their Wi-Fi signal. Google already has the wireless router in place with OnHub, and now it looks like they’re set to release a device which can help to make the Wi-Fi stronger so that there are no weak areas, potentially ensuring strong coverage anywhere and in any room.
Although it’s possible that Google could end up creating a brand new application to manage Google Wi-Fi, it’s thought that the existing OnHub app will simply be updated to include Google W-Fi features and management options and serve this purpose, however there is still no confirmation on this and Google could decide to have a separate app.

In addition to Google Wi-Fi being a mesh technology, it’s stated that Google will also employ the use of modular bases (rumored to be starting at $129 for one modular base) that could allow consumers to essentially add pieces on as they need them so as to expand the network further than with just two router devices. This could work brilliantly for people with larger homes, or small businesses who may choose to use this type of technology in a larger building that may need more coverage range. Google Wi-Fi modules and routers would likely be “trusted” devices so as to keep the presence of security on the network as well. It’s also rumored that Google Wi-Fi will have have support for IFTTT for various automated features as well as scheduling and simple setup processes and management.

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2016-10-04, 07:30 PM   #2
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Hands-On With Google Wifi, Google’s New Router Solution

Among the many things that Google announced today, one of the products that will be on offer soon is the new router solution that Google has set forth for consumers, called Google Wifi. While it’s not available for purchase just yet, Google have officially listed the pricing details as it will cost $129 for a single base unit, while those who may need more coverage around the home can pick it up in a three-pack for $299, so as to allow them to fill in weak spots and ensure that they are covered in any room no matter what they’re using the internet for whether it’s for gaming, streaming movies and TV, or listening to music.
While Google already offers a router solution with the OnHub router that was launched last year, Google Wifi is a more robust solution for those that are needing total home coverage, and this is all thanks to way Google has designed the product. As it utilizes a mesh Wi-Fi technology, consumers who purchase the Google Wifi will be able to add pieces together and essentially put one router point in every single room where they need the coverage to be. It is worth noting that Google doesn’t seem to explicitly state the maximum amount of Google Wifi router points that can be connected together, so presumably this is set at a max of three.

Google Wifi takes the place of an existing wireless router, so there is no need to have an additional and separate router that is not part of the Google Wifi setup. Each Google Wifi unit uses WPA2-PSK security standards, is powered by Quad-Core processor, and comes with 512MB of RAM with 4GB of internal flash storage. Managing the routers are all done through a Google Wifi companion app that Google has developed specifically for this product, so it does not use the OnHub companion app as was originally suspected prior to today’s announcement. With the app installed, users will be able to do anything from pausing the Wi-Fi connection to checking the network, and there will also be options for sharing the password, making it more simple than ever to let others be connected to your local home network. This means no more having to type out the password for someone or say it out loud. The Google Wifi routers are also intelligent in addition to being easy to setup, use, and manage, as Google has noted that they automatically select the best network channel for you. If you’re thinking about picking up Google Wifi you can join the waiting list for pre-orders once they’re made available, and for now you can check out the gallery of images of the product below.

Unread 2016-11-14, 09:07 PM   #3
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Google posts video showing how to set up Wifi, ahead of shipping in December

Google told us at its event in October that the company's new router, the Wifi, would be available to order some time in November and would then ship in December. Right on cue, an unlisted video has appeared showing how to set up your brand new router.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly.

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7PPYNs5Xao

Setup is reasonably straightforward, from the looks of things: plug in the USB-C cable for power and ethernet to your existing modem, then wait for it to flash blue, at which point the app can be used to configure it. To do this, scan the QR code on the bottom of the router, then wait for the app to do its thing. After that, simply select where the Wifi is located and choose a network name and password. That's it.

Left: what's in the box. Middle: the app, with QR code scanner. Right: the bottom of the router.

If you bought the pack with more Wifi units (the product ships in 1-pack or 3-pack varieties), the app can handle this, too: select how many other points you have and where these are located. The video recommends you test the new point before using it, to ensure optimal speeds in the location the Wifi is in.

If you're interested in the Google Wifi, you should be able to order it some time this month, providing Google keeps to the aforementioned schedule. It will cost $129 for a single pack and $299 for a 3-pack.

Unread 2016-12-22, 12:32 PM   #4
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Google’s FCC filings reveal something intriguing about the Google Wifi

When Google first announced the Google Wifi – a sexy minimalist router that finally doesn’t have to hide behind your couch – one thing seemed to be missing. That is the 802.15.4 based ZigBee frequency. Google Home and Android Things seem to signal Google’s expansion into the smart home and IoT arena, but the omission of the ZigBee frequency was a puzzling move, to say the least. Well, according to Google’s FCC filings, the wireless frequency is in fact there just not “turned on,” maybe.

ZigBee is an 802.15.4 based wireless frequency that is a necessity when it comes to the IoT. It facilitates “a suit of high-level communication protocols used to create personal area networks,” and that’s why it’s indispensable for the smart home market. Now, when Google announced its beautiful WiFi router back in October, the company didn’t mention anything about this specification. People assumed this meant the Google’s router was not compatible with the 802.15.4 frequency, which didn’t make a lot of sense considering the company’s apparent efforts to increase its presence in smart home systems.
Well, it looks like Google Wifi is a part of Google’s grand scheme after all. The company’s FCC filings reveal that indeed, the device is compatible with this magical frequency. Now, the 802.4.15 frequency should give you a strong (if not stronger) WiFi connection, and although we don’t know what Google’s future plans may be, your Google Wifi should be ready for some smart Internet-based device-to-device communication as well.
Google does not list that band on its official website perhaps because it is “turned off” for now. Of course, there is the possibility that Google has no intention of utilizing that frequency in the future, but that’s highly unlikely given the time and resources it must have spent testing the frequency in the product. Other than the ZigBee wireless frequency, we also see that the Google Wifi supports Bluetooth 4.0 and is Bluetooth Smart ready. Bluetooth Smart is essentially another way for a device to connect with another, except through Bluetooth.
Other than the ZigBee wireless frequency, we also see that the Google Wifi supports Bluetooth 4.0 and is Bluetooth Smart ready.
Our homes are inevitably getting smarter and smarter, and it seems like Google sees potential in this field. How much technology are you willing to let in to your home? Is there a limit? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

Unread 2016-12-24, 06:59 PM   #5
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Google Wifi Setup Tips & Tricks

It's only easy until something goes wrong. These tips will help make sure your Google Wifi setup is painless.
Google Wifi is really easy to set up. That's what impressed me the most about it when I was reviewing it, and the easy setup combined with quick updates when the tech inside needs them makes it a product I recommend to most anyone who needs a new router. But it can also be a nightmare if something goes wrong.
Sometimes problems are difficult to track down — those modem/router combos can be such a headache — while other times all you need to do is step back and see what how you can keep things simple while you're getting it all in place. That's what this guide is for.
I've walked several people through issues with their Google Wifi set up process, since I had a few issues myself while moving everything around and testing.
1. Have a phone with a data connection handy

The help documents for Google Wifi are pretty awesome. Many of the common scenarios of converting your existing network to Google Wifi are covered and well worth a quick look before or during installation.

They're also online, so you need a network connection to read them. There are also plenty of people who are super enthusiastic about Google Wifi and have an answer for most any issue that can help.
Both are tough to do if you don't have a way to get to the internet while your home network is down.
2. Write down the setup codes

On the bottom of every Google Wifi unit there are two codes: Setup network and Setup code.
The first (Setup network) is the SSID the hardware creates for you to connect to and start the setup process. The second (Setup code) is the ID of the unit you might need to enter if it can't be found automatically. Write them down on a piece of scrap paper in case you need to refer to them. That's easier than scanning a barcode (which is also on the bottom of the unit) especially if there is an issue and you need to try things more than once. If you don't end up needing them, you only spent a few seconds of your life jotting them down. (You can also take a photo on your phone, which is hopefully connected to the internet so it can be uploaded to Google Photos!)
This is especially important if you're setting things up with an iOS device (I've noticed Wi-Fi gets finicky and you might need to manually connect to the SSID) or in Bridge mode. When it tells you it needs a code, you'll have it.
3. Follow directions exactly

During portions of the setup process, you'll be plugging things in. Don't be like me and think you can place and power all of your units while the first one is saving its data and rebooting.
This is a good way to need to start all over again, which also requires you to unplug your modem for 90 seconds. Watching the screen and waiting those 90 seconds feels like an eternity.
Wait until it says to plug something in, then commence to plugging.
4. Go in order

You begin by setting up your main unit. It's the one that connects to the modem or ethernet outlet in the wall.
When that's done, make sure the next one you're setting up will be the closest of the two to the main unit. The network itself doesn't care, but this makes sure you'll have an awesome Wi-Fi signal while you're working and that the unit will be able to find the network and set itself up faster.
5. Don't plug in your extra stuff

This one kicked me right in the pants!
I've been fiddling with Google Wifi since I first got it (because I like to fiddle with things) so I've been through the setup routine plenty of times.
I tried it with my Philips Hue bridge plugged in one of those times. It was a mess. I have no idea why it was a mess. I'm not sure how it was interfering or why.
I only know I tried over and over to add a node to my setup while my Hue bridge was plugged in and it only worked once it unplugged it. On the first try.
These are simple no-brainers tips. But it's easy to get excited and just start plugging in cables and downloading apps when you get cool new gear, so this is my reminder. Spend less time troubleshooting and more time playing with the Google Wifi app and the settings.

Unread 2016-12-25, 12:29 AM   #6
BlitzKrieg

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 18
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 0

But... I would already do this with openwrt travel routers...

1991 Nissan Sentra GXE - DD
1989 Jeep Cherokee Laredo *SOLD*
BlitzKrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-06-05, 01:12 PM   #7
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

DEAL: Google WiFi 3-Pack is $19 Off at Best Buy

Camera
ILCE-6000

Focal Length
24mm

Aperture
f/4.5

Exposure
1/60s

ISO

Mesh WiFi systems are all the rage these days with the tech kids. They are like the spinners of routers, you could say. Eh, look at me all hip and sh*t! I know what spinners are!
Anyways, Google WiFi 3-packs are currently discounted at Best Buy to just $279.99. You aren’t getting a massive savings here, but that is a $19 discount. That’s not bad for a system that is already ridiculously affordably priced when compared to other mesh networks that typically start at $350 or $400.
Not sure what Google WiFi is? Be sure to watch Tim’s setup tour. Also, if you just want to know more about mesh WiFi systems and how they work, check out this quick Eero review I did.
Best Buy Link

Unread 2017-06-16, 08:40 PM   #8
JustinCredible

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 178
Thanks (Received): 96
Likes (Given): 919
Likes (Received): 340
Dislikes (Given): 18
Dislikes (Received): 4

Snagged the last one from Roeland Park for $45!

Just a slight upgrade from my 4th-gen Airport Extreme.
JustinCredible is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-10-16, 07:51 PM   #9
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

New Google Wifi update adds support for parental controls and more [APK Download]

The internet can be a dangerous place, especially for kids. Many routers these days have some sort of parental control settings to help block access to nefarious or unsavory websites. Google's Wifi system is joining the party with the latest update. There's more stuff to be had here, but site blocking is certainly the highlight.
As usual, here's the changelog:
  • Site blocking: Restrict devices or groups of devices from accessing adult websites
  • Network optimization for time-sensitive data streams: Real-time traffic, such as voice calls and video calls, will perform better
  • IPv6: Support for custom DNS
  • General stability and performance improvements

Network optimization is another good feature to see, and it's one I use often in my home. Support for custom IPv6 DNS will excite those of you who care. Obviously, the big thing that Google wants us to pay attention to is the site blocking. It prevents access to over eight million non-family friendly domains and can be turned on with a few taps.
Site blocking utilizes Google's SafeSearch technology. The cool part here is that parents can be selective about blocking, i.e. one child's device will be restricted while another's may not. Users can expect to see the update over the next day or so, so be checking the Play Store. But, if you're savvy, I have the APK Mirror link for you to avoid that wait. You're welcome.