Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Computers, Teh Interweb, Gaming, Electronics

Unread 2015-09-02, 07:06 PM   #101
QwikSHO

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 30
Likes (Given): 63
Likes (Received): 270
Dislikes (Given): 3
Dislikes (Received): 5

Been debating this upgrade from my V2...
QwikSHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2015-09-02, 07:11 PM   #102
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Same here, not sure how easy it would be to get rid of the current one though due to price drops on stock

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2015-09-02, 07:21 PM   #103
Mobbes

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 47
Thanks (Received): 79
Likes (Given): 161
Likes (Received): 357
Dislikes (Given): 2
Dislikes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLM View Post
Same here, not sure how easy it would be to get rid of the current one though due to price drops on stock
Well Jason Google said they are only installing the 2.0, so if I could get a "used" one cheaper....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar
New aids is still aids.
Mobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2015-09-02, 08:09 PM   #104
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobbes View Post
Well Jason Google said they are only installing the 2.0, so if I could get a "used" one cheaper....
I'll let you know

Unread 2015-10-01, 08:20 PM   #105
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly.

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU-vKAiPwgg

Unread 2015-10-31, 03:18 PM   #106
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

A month with Nest's latest smart thermostat

Nest's programmable thermostat has just turned four, and the company marked the anniversary with the debut of its third-generation device. Four years ago, thermostats were still boring blocks stuck to your wall and while programming them was already possible, it was always a painful process. Once you'd fixed your temperature schedule with an endless collection of up- and down-arrow keypresses for Sunday through Monday, that selection remained fixed, with the very thought of changing the schedule leading to cold sweats. Typical configurable settings included a schedule for cool, heat and occasionally vacation mode. I've lived with one for ages and it has run faithfully, always following the schedule I made when I first set it up many seasons ago. I've coveted the Nest thermostat since launch and so, when I was recently offered an opportunity to use the newest version at home I jumped at the chance to see if it would really make a noticeable impact on my world.
Gallery | 27 Photos
A month with Nest's latest smart thermostat

I live in Canada and my hometown of Ottawa gets pretty damn hot and muggy in the summer, and bitterly cold in the winter. With a yearly temperature swing from minus 18 degrees Fahrenheit to the mid-90s without factoring in humidity, we worry and talk an awful lot about the weather. But because of this swing, we're constantly cooling or heating our homes to combat the elements, which means energy cost is always a concern. One of Nest's selling points is that the device can purportedly save you 15 percent yearly on cooling and 10 to 12 percent on your heating bills. Unfortunately, the new Nest arrived in the few weeks a year where days and nights are generally comfortable here, so the savings discussion won't factor into this story too much. I'd really need to compare the upcoming winter to last year's to get an idea of how it fares when heating.
Before I received the unit, the Nest team suggested I use a compatibility widget on its website to ensure my current heating system wouldn't run into any issues during my install. In a pinch, Nest can direct you to professional installers nearby if you're not up to the challenge. My installation was relatively simple: After shutting off power to the furnace from the breaker box, I only needed to strip four wires (your mileage may vary), pull them through the hole in the base, use the base's built-in level to make sure it went on the wall nicely and then screw it down tightly. I also opted to use the trim plate to hide the marks left by the previous thermostat package, although it definitely looks better without. Also, if your toolbox isn't exactly overflowing with gear, the Nest package includes a small, high-quality screwdriver to help get the job done -- this isn't your typical IKEA Allen key. Once plugged in and powered up, I set up my Nest account, entering WiFi info and a few home details right from the device. With that out of the way I just had to use it, and wait for it to learn my home's heating and cooling patterns.

We've settled into a rhythm over these last four weeks and it does genuinely make the right choices most of the time. When I got up at 6AM in the early days after the install, I'd typically spin the dial to warm things up to 67 degrees; now it has that figured out for me. When I leave the house and set the Nest to "away," it doesn't seem to affect my schedule, which is good because I was initially worried those gaps when I was gone would wreck the Nest's "learning." I also appreciate the ability to change the temperature from my phone if I'm feeling cold while watching a film in the basement.
One other handy feature I found is that I can set a PIN to lock others out from manually changing the temperature outside of a range I preset. Some members of the household have been known to cool the house to the mid-60s on warm days. But as an example when things don't run perfectly, I was recently up really, really early and fired up the furnace at 3:30AM. Unfortunately, it seems the Nest took that morning to heart, because I was woken the next morning by the furnace starting at about the same time, suggesting it was adapting to my "new" schedule. You can manually edit blips like this out, of course, although I was surprised that a one-time event affected my schedule so drastically.
While my experience so far has been positive, I did run into an odd situation after the Nest had been mostly set to off for a couple weeks because the weather was perfect. It turns out that in some four-wire installations like mine, the thermostat's charge can run down. Unlike traditional units that use little to no power or run using AA batteries, the Nest needs more juice to power its display, WiFi and so on. How it gets a charge is through oscillating the furnace by turning it on and off really quickly to charge (when running full-time, it charges constantly). Typically, while it charges in this mode, your furnace won't care and neither will you, but in my case it resulted in a buzzing sound I could hear from a couple feet away. I spoke to a Nest technician about this and he suggested I install a C-wire (a common wire that delivers 24V to the Nest all the time from your furnace), which would get rid of the issue. As a bonus in rare situations like mine, Nest will reimburse some or all of the cost to have that work done. In my case, the problem apparently corrected itself before I even had a chance to install a C-wire; it hasn't made that buzzing noise since.

The Nest's physical updates in this iteration are minimal, with a larger, more pixel-dense display leading the charge ahead of a less obtrusive housing. The display size has been bumped up to 2.08 inches from the previous gen's 1.75 and the housing is a scant five-hundredths of an inch thinner. The display's pixel density also gets a bump to 229 ppi, which is about 25 percent higher than the last gen.
Ultimately, though, you'd be unlikely to notice these changes if the Nest were swapped out while you weren't home, but then again, some functionality improvements might catch your eye. The thermostat now features something called Farsight, which uses the larger display to show more info now that it's easier to actually see from a distance. It also wakes up when it catches movement from much further away (up to 20 feet), instead of requiring someone to be within a few feet. I keep my Farsight mode set to an analog clock, but it will alternatively display the time or target temperature if you choose. This feature isn't very useful to me because my thermostat is mounted on a wall I don't spend much time looking at, but I do notice the time flash on as I come down the stairs.
Day to day, who notices their thermostat? Nobody. But I quickly found that something to which I never gave a second thought rapidly became a fun diversion. What temperature is the house now? Does it know I'm away? Is it learning my schedule? It will even remind me when the furnace filter needs changing, something I forget to do and that really affects heating and cooling. I can see the benefit to my lifestyle without even factoring in the savings yet.
Still, that's not to say it's perfect. It's not always as smart as promised, and the price is still high at $249. I also think that remote temperature probes to help balance winter heat and summer cooling would be handy; heck an enhanced Nest Protect could even help out here. Even better might be control over airflow in the house based on where you are. Watching a film? No problem, we'll just heat the basement and once you head up to bed the warm follows you there -- and while it's at it, why not shut off the lights, too? Ultimately, the Nest does seem to get it mostly right: I'm a big fan of the convenience plus the fact that I may reap some financial reward through energy savings adds a bonus. But more than that, it's one of the first smart home products I've lived with that isn't solving a problem that doesn't exist. The Nest's such a solid improvement over my old thermostat in every possible way, that my biggest question leaving this month of testing isn't should I keep it, but rather why did I wait so long to try one?

Unread 2015-11-01, 01:49 AM   #107
KUweatherman
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 402
Thanks (Received): 363
Likes (Given): 4965
Likes (Received): 2124
Dislikes (Given): 121
Dislikes (Received): 174

My Nest 2.0 has been having Wifi issues lately. Anyone else? It randomly loses connection for hours at a time. Haven't tried hard resetting it yet, but that is the next step.
Unread 2015-11-01, 05:13 AM   #108
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing like that for me

Unread 2015-11-01, 02:28 PM   #109
KUweatherman
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Nothing like that for me
Yea, thats what is weird about the whole thing. I've had this thermostat since Dec 2013 and it has worked flawlessly. Router has been in the same spot for that time as well so it isn't a signal interference issue; it has to be be a problem with the Nest itself.

I tried the reset today and it won't even do it. Click Reset>Factory Defaults and it acts like it is resetting, but once it comes back up all of my information is still there. Very weird.

edit: Pretty sure the thing is nearly dead. It wouldn't even turn on most of th afternoon/evening. I took it apart and put it back together and now have a red light blinking on the face. Supposedly that means the main battery is charging. Guess we'll see if it turns on in the morning. Might be upgrading to a v3 sooner than I thought.

Last edited by KUweatherman; 2015-11-02 at 01:20 AM..
KUweatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2015-11-17, 11:02 AM   #110
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Any update to your issue?

I am still planning on going to V3 (sell off the V2)

Nest Introduces Its Third Generation Learning Thermostat

The bolstered model works with OpenTherm technology, allowing a compatible boiler and the device to work in unison to run the home's heating system.
(Photo : Nest)

The best from Nest yet? It very well could be.
On Tuesday, Nest unveiled its third-generation Nest Learning Thermostat, revamped with a bigger, sharper display and sleeker design, and loaded with new features. The new unit can be ordered on the company's website now and it can be installed as soon as December for European customers.
With the revamped model, home owners can now control their hot water tank from the Nest Learning Thermostat, as the unit even comes equipped with an adjustable schedule for you, which can be manipulated via the company's app.
Within that function, owners can give weekend visitors extra shower time by giving their hot water a boost when needed — all from the comfort of the app. If you're on a vacation, the unit's auto-away feature turns off your hot water to conserve energy as well.
"The Nest Learning Thermostat is even better at learning about you and your home," the company boasts on its website. "It gets to know your schedule and the temperatures you like so it can program itself."

(Photo : Nest)
The new Nest Thermostat uses OpenTherm technology, in which compatible boilers and the device communicate and work in unison to run the home's heating system more efficiently. Under the OpenTherm system, users can turn up the heat or dial it back a tad instead of simply turning it on and off, as most home owners do. Nest wants home owners to consider the feature as a dimmer for your heating system.
The amount of energy used daily can be seen within your Energy History log on the Nest app. Included in the app is also tips every month in your Home Report about how to help save energy even further.
The newest Nest Thermostat can be controlled from anywhere, whether your smartphone, laptop or tablet, and it works in sync with other Nest products.

Unread 2015-11-17, 06:18 PM   #111
KUweatherman
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Yea, sorry. I contacted Nest Support and they suggested I charge the Nest via a Micro USB cable. Had one lying around from my old Nexus 5 so I plugged it in; felt so weird to be charging my thermostat. Their guess (and what I had read online) was that the internal battery was most likely low. Pulled it off the charger an hour later and it has been fine ever since. I did change the Wifi network it was on too since the low battery was most likely caused from constant connect attempts to the network after being disconnected.
Unread 2015-11-25, 11:52 AM   #112
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Getting better Nest Thermostat is getting better at keeping a temperature and saving energy

Nest will be rolling out an update for its thermostat which makes it even smarter. Included in this update is changes to how it will maintain temperatures in your home, energy saving benefits for multi-stage heating systems, and improvements for its how long it takes to reach a temperature. The Nest Thermostat is always learning, and these enhancements will be warmly welcomed by many. The changes coming include:
  • Nest Thermostats will now maintain the temperature in your home up to 20% closer to the temperature you've set. That means that if you set the heat to 70ºF, your Nest Thermostat will be a lot better at keeping it at exactly 70ºF. That's a pretty big deal and actually really, really hard to do right.
  • Multi-stage heating systems can now save 3.8% more energy, heat pumps can save 6.5% more, and multi-stage cooling systems can save 5.4% more than they have before. These systems are already more efficient than traditional systems. Now Nest can make them even better. While single-stage heating and cooling systems just turn your heat or AC on and off, multistage systems can save energy by turning it up a little bit at a time.
  • Time-to-Temperature, Early-On and Heat Pump Balance will get better. All these features rely on predicting what will happen next: how long will it take for the house to warm up, how fast is it cooling down, if I turn on the heat a little bit now, will it be enough to get to the temperature I want in three hours considering it's such an unseasonably warm day?
The update will be rolling out to all Nest units over the next couple of weeks, so be on the lookout for it. Once you receive it, be sure to let us know your thoughts on the improvements.

Unread 2015-11-25, 02:44 PM   #113
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

https://nest.com/works-with-nest/

Unread 2015-11-25, 05:40 PM   #114
Hummer

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 55
Thanks (Received): 24
Likes (Given): 200
Likes (Received): 118
Dislikes (Given): 3
Dislikes (Received): 1

I am still rocking the Nest 1.0 and don't plan to change. It has been a great thermostat.
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2016-01-08, 12:10 PM   #115
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 257
Likes (Given): 61
Likes (Received): 1931
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 35
Default Nest Thermostats Are Having Battery Problems and There's No Fix Yet

Quote:
If you own a Nest smart thermostat, you may be experiencing problems with the battery. Big problems with the battery. As in, the battery keeps draining and leaving you in the literal freezing cold.

A Gizmodo reader told us that his Nest had a software bug that caused his battery to drain—which caused Nest to shut off and leave him with a frigid home. This is, of course, exactly the opposite of what you want a smart thermostat to do. Nest has admitted that people are having problems with its batteries.

“We are aware of a low-battery issue impacting some Nest Thermostat owners. In some cases, this may cause the device to respond slowly or become unresponsive,” a Nest spokesperson told Gizmodo. “We are actively investigating the issue and working on a solution. In the meantime, performing a manual restart of the thermostat will help until a fix is put in place.”

These are the instructions for a manual restart:

1. On your Nest Learning Thermostat, press the ring to bring up the main menu.

2. Turn to SETTINGS and press the ring again to select.

3. Turn the ring to RESET and press to select. You can then restart the thermostat or choose which settings you’d like to reset. See the table below for details on what restarting the thermostat or resetting each feature will do.
Not exactly comforting that the best temporarily solution to not having working heat is essentially “turn it off and turn it back on again.”
http://gizmodo.com/nest-thermostats-...ium=socialflow

BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2016-01-08, 01:59 PM   #116
MymonteSS

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 23
Likes (Received): 119
Dislikes (Given): 21
Dislikes (Received): 1

I am having that issue
Unread 2016-01-08, 03:03 PM   #117
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Kuweatherman said he took it off the wall and charged his with the USB port on the back and it seems to have fixed it

Unread 2016-01-08, 04:36 PM   #118
KUweatherman
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyLee View Post
Quote:
Kuweatherman said he took it off the wall and charged his with the USB port on the back and it seems to have fixed it
Yep. The fix is to charge it via MicroUSB.
Unread 2016-03-10, 12:51 PM   #119
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Nest can now use your phone to tell when you've left the house

Nest's products are about to get better at telling when you're out of the house and when you're about to come back home. An update to Nest's iOS and Android app today will allow it to start monitoring your phone's location. When it sees you leaving the house, it'll be able to set Nest's Thermostat to its "away" mode, and when it sees you coming back, it'll be able to start warming things up for you. The feature can be disabled by declining to grant Nest the necessary permissions (or by turning off its out-of-home automation entirely), but enabling it should let Nest's products do a better job of knowing how and when to get to work.

Location data is meant to make Nest's scheduling "more accurate and efficient"

The new feature is called Home/Away Assist, and it's being launched in conjunction with another new part of the Nest app: accounts for family members. Until now, homeowners with Nest products have had to share a single account (and password) with everyone who they wanted to have control over the products, be it a thermostat, smoke detector, or camera. With this update, several people can have control over the same products. It's still just meant for the primary homeowners, however — at this point, there are no parental controls. Not that you'd really want to give a kid much control over the thermostat, anyway.

The real reason for family accounts is to bolster what Home/Away Assist is doing with location data. By tracking multiple phones in the same household, Nest can get a better sense of how people come and go. Greg Hu, a senior product manager at Nest, says that observing patterns is a key part of home Nest decides when people are actually home. "This is an input that's going to make it more accurate and efficient," he says of the location tracking. Though Nest needs to see your location, the company says it won't "track where you go;" all information it collects will be encrypted.

Plenty of other smart home platforms already use location tracking as a home/away mechanism, so Nest's update isn't exactly groundbreaking. Nest argues that it has a better implementation, however, because it isn't relying solely on a single phone. It may be relying on multiple phones from the same household, and after all of that, it still has the data that the thermostat gathers on its own — the core information it's been using to set home and away states until today.

Home and away states help products connected to Nest, too

Improving Nest's awareness of whether someone's at home — and when they might arrive back home — helps with more than just adjusting the thermostat. There's an entire ecosystem of products that integrate with Nest; many are set up to activate once the house is empty, so Nest thinks this update should help with automating the entire home.

Nest's smart home ecosystem is pretty basic compared to what other companies are attempting. Products that integrate with Nest can largely just be used to tell the thermostat to turn on and off or to use the thermostat's on and off setting to decide whether they should activate. That's compared to other companies, which might use a hub to let all smart products across a household talk to each other. But Hu says that simplicity is intentional, rather than a lack of functionality. "What's really important to us is that what's happening in your home is understandable and intuitive to the customer," he says. "The more cumbersome, the more complicated it gets, the more frustrating to customers."

Unread 2016-03-22, 08:48 AM   #120
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like

Gen 3 Nest for $199 on Woot today.

http://www.woot.com/

Unread 2016-03-22, 10:33 AM   #121
Mobbes

Post Thanks / Like

It's gone.

Quote:
New aids is still aids.
Unread 2016-03-22, 10:40 AM   #122
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

I'm upgrading to the Gen 3 within the month, getting a new heat pump installed

Unread 2016-03-22, 03:39 PM   #123
Mobbes

Post Thanks / Like

I think I will just buy a Gen 3.

Quote:
New aids is still aids.
Unread 2016-03-22, 05:29 PM   #124
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like

I'm thinking I'm going to go with a Honeywell Lyric because it does everything I need and it's ST compatible straight out of the box.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Unread 2016-03-24, 06:47 PM   #125
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Report: Nest Employees Continue to Struggle with Fadell

We’ve reported before on how Nest’s issues in the managerial area have been a real problem for the Alphabet subsidiary. Where Nest employees have been asked to work weekends, and that Nest co-founder, Tony Fadell has had his employees scrap projects when they were nearly finished. In a new report from The Information, it appears that is only the tip of the iceberg with Nest. And there are some real issues going on at the company. So much so that Dropcam’s co-founder, Greg Duffy told Fadell that he runs his company as a “tyrant bureaucrat”. When Nest bought Dropcam for $555 million, the investors of Dropcam argued against selling, but Duffy had much respect for Fadell at the time.
After acquiring Dropcam, Fadell decided to put all of Dropcam’s upcoming projects on the backburner, and replace one with their which still hasn’t even launched. Fadell said that it wouldn’t take long for Nest to add some features to the Dropcam and rebrand it as the “Nest Cam”. Fadell actually said it would take a month, Duffy said it would take nearly nine months. In reality, it took about a year to happen. This report also notes that Duffy witness Fadell berate a Google engineer in front of “about 20 other people”, Duffy realized that Fadell was managing technologies that he knew nothing about. He also concluded that employees were not able to speak up and share their views. A huge difference compared to Dropcam, prior to the acquisition.
Nest acquired Dropcam less than two years ago, and nearly half of Dropcam’s employees have already left including their co-founder Greg Duffy. He told Fadell that he wanted to report directly to him, and have control over the camera division of Nest – aka be in charge of Dropcam. Fadell reportedly told Duffy that he can’t report to him because he “hasn’t earned it”. With that, Duffy called it quits and left the company in January 2015.
After seeing multiple reports from multiple sources talking about the issues within Nest, it’s clear that something needs to change. Whether that is a replacement for Tony Fadell, or something else entirely, something needs to happen soon. Nest has yet to release their own product since being acquired by Google in January 2014. While Nest has released products, they have only released a new version of the Nest Protect smoke detector, the Nest Learning Thermostat and rebranded the Dropcam to Nest Cam. Although there are rumors of more products in the pipeline, including a competitor to Amazon’s Echo, nothing has been announced yet. And this could spell and issue for Alphabet sooner rather than later.

Tags
automation, aware, dropcam, google, nest