Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Computers, Teh Interweb, Gaming, Electronics

Unread 2017-06-20, 12:40 AM   #1
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Lightbulb Best Cell carrier in KC?

Who has the best wireless network in Kansas City? It depends on whom you ask.

T-Mobile US topped Kansas City’s latest wireless network tests released Monday by RootMetrics, posting a win or tie in each of six categories ranked.

Sprint finished second overall in testing that looked at networks’ reliability, speed, data, call and text performance in the first half of this year.

Monday’s report was the first time since 2011 that Verizon failed to appear in the top rank with at least a tie for the best overall performance. It also was the first time the two smaller wireless companies topped their larger rivals in the Kansas City market.

Sprint and T-Mobile, however, each fared less well in another network test released Monday.

PC Magazine said its tests, which focused on network speed, found AT&T and Verizon sharing top scores in Kansas City. T-Mobile scored slightly less well, and Sprint was a clear laggard.

PC Mag’s report said Sprint delivered some high download speeds in Kansas City but suffered from spotty performance.

“Sprint’s problem was all about consistency,” the magazine’s Kansas City report said. “Throughout our Kansas City tests, we saw our Sprint devices shoot up to spectacular speeds, then plummet to very low speeds at a different location an hour later.”

Speed and data performance were two categories in the RootMetrics tests that brought down Sprint’s overall performance. It finished fourth in those two categories.

Sprint beat its larger rivals overall by posting a tie with T-Mobile for the most reliable network and the best call performance in Kansas City. All four carriers tied for best text performance.

Sprint’s overall second place showing in its hometown market was good news for the company, though it strives to be first, said Scott Santi, vice president of network in Sprint’s central region.

Santi said RootMetrics’ test drives covered more suburban ground than previous testing, and that hurt Sprint’s results. The company’s fastest data speeds come over its 2.5 GHz wireless spectrum frequencies, but these are concentrated in the city’s denser core.

Sprint is expanding its speedier spectrum footprint in the Kansas City market with small cells and its recently introduced Magic Box equipment, which solved city hall’s Pendergast problem. Santi said the faster 2.5 GHz service covers about 65 percent of the market now and should cover the entire market by the end of next year.

In RootMetrics’ testing, T-Mobile pulled ahead of Verizon in the new report after the two carriers had been tied in the previous report.

Two years ago, the first-half rankings by RootMetrics had Sprint in a tie with Verizon for the overall performance in the Kansas City market. CEO Marcelo Claure, and Sprint’s advertising, hailed the tie as reason to crow.

“It’s not that Verizon’s getting worse,” said Annette Hamilton, director of communications for RootMetrics. “It’s that everyone else is improving faster, particularly in this case T-Mobile.”

Hamilton said wireless technology and 4G data networks are improving. But she tied the networks’ relative performances to the investments the companies make in their networks in specific markets.

“Clearly, they’ve been making investments in Kansas City, and it’s paying off,” she said of T-Mobile’s top ranking.

Along those lines, PC Mag had this to say about Kansas City’s wireless experience.

“Let’s note that KC was one of the fastest cities we saw overall,” the magazine report said. “All of the carriers are powerful choices here.... Kansas City is growing as a Midwestern tech hub, and it looks like it has the infrastructure to suit.”

AT&T said a year ago that it had boosted 4G network capacity in Kansas City by 40 percent. The company counted nearly 330 wireless network upgrades in the area last year, either to add new cell sites or increase capacity at existing sites.

And while AT&T led PC Magazine’s Kansas City report in a tie with Verizon, AT&T has not led RootMetrics’ Kansas City rankings, with a win or tie overall, since the second half of 2013.

But the scores are close. T-Mobile’s top score in RootMetric’s report was 97.8. Sprint,Verizon and AT&T followed at 96.8, 96.7 and 96.5, respectively.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/busin...156990849.html

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-06-20, 07:31 AM   #2
seawolfxix

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 37
Likes (Received): 35
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 0

I'm not sure if it's my phone or Verizon, but there are dead spots all over Kansas City. I lose signal frequently while driving on the interstates.
seawolfxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-06-20, 08:49 AM   #3
Rob

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 171
Thanks (Received): 149
Likes (Given): 827
Likes (Received): 848
Dislikes (Given): 12
Dislikes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by seawolfxix View Post
I'm not sure if it's my phone or Verizon, but there are dead spots all over Kansas City. I lose signal frequently while driving on the interstates.
Prob just your phone, I drive everywhere and have coverage
Unread 2017-06-20, 03:19 PM   #4
Username:*
More awesomer than you

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 54
Thanks (Received): 167
Likes (Given): 335
Likes (Received): 998
Dislikes (Given): 6
Dislikes (Received): 10

I just ditched Sprint for Verizon and I seriously cannot understand how Sprint does so well. I fucking never had data with them. Unlimited data is awesome when you can use it, but I was never able to use it. Verizon has been pretty damn awesome so far but it's spotty at my house (not the end of the world since I have wifi).

I have an unlocked phone so I plan on just swapping from carrier to carrier over the next couple of months to figure out which company is the best for us in Gardner/JoCo before my wife's contract is up in February.

2017 Hyundai Elantra Sport 6mt
Username:* is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-06-20, 03:29 PM   #5
Corners

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 111
Thanks (Received): 185
Likes (Given): 530
Likes (Received): 1138

Sprint works for us. Their data service everywhere I go if fast, our office building has Sprint antennas in it so coverage works all over, even in the elevator. Sprint is also the only carrier that works at our family lake house. We have 6 family members all on a single account, and my and my wife's portion is only $105 for unlimited everything. The only downside I've noticed is that you cannot be on a phone call and use data at the same time. Other than that, works great.
"We must love each other, show affection for each other and unite together in condemnation of hatred, bigotry and violence. We must rediscover the bonds of love and loyalty that bring us together as Americans" - President Trump
Corners is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-06-20, 04:36 PM   #6
Scooby24
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 49
Thanks (Received): 691
Likes (Given): 343
Likes (Received): 3960
Dislikes (Given): 27
Dislikes (Received): 40

I've had Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile...and Verizon just always wins IMO. T-mobile was fast when you could get a connection but I had strange issues with mobile data where it would just seemingly get 'stuck' for lack of a better word...I'd have to put on airplane and then turn it off again to get mobile data to reconnect and start working again.

AT&T was pretty good but their customer service BLEW. Verizon I've had GREAT service both in data/call/text and customer service.

They aren't THAT much of a premium either. I gladly pay it.
Unread 2017-06-20, 05:41 PM   #7
Wallace

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 113
Likes (Given): 252
Likes (Received): 896
Dislikes (Given): 9
Dislikes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username:* View Post
I just ditched Sprint for Verizon and I seriously cannot understand how Sprint does so well. I fucking never had data with them. Unlimited data is awesome when you can use it, but I was never able to use it. Verizon has been pretty damn awesome so far but it's spotty at my house (not the end of the world since I have wifi).

I have an unlocked phone so I plan on just swapping from carrier to carrier over the next couple of months to figure out which company is the best for us in Gardner/JoCo before my wife's contract is up in February.
When did you switch? Sprint has made a lot of changes over the last 5ish years. If you are in KC, I'm not sure you can't beat Sprint for the price.
Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-06-20, 05:51 PM   #8
Scooby24
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

He just switched. My buddy did too last weekend. Verizon is better.
Unread 2017-06-20, 06:15 PM   #9
Wallace

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 113
Likes (Given): 252
Likes (Received): 896
Dislikes (Given): 9
Dislikes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby24 View Post
He just switched. My buddy did too last weekend. Verizon is better.
For $360 more a year, I'm sure it is...
Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-06-20, 07:32 PM   #10
Scooby24
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
For $360 more a year, I'm sure it is...
He was paying $10 more a month through Sprint than he is through Verizon now.

Only when he called to cancel did they all of a sudden figure out how to knock off another 40 bucks a month and throw in a bunch of other goodies. Too little, too late.
Unread 2017-06-20, 08:23 PM   #11
redline5.0

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 34
Likes (Given): 126
Likes (Received): 285
Dislikes (Given): 13
Dislikes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username:* View Post

As far as new century goes I use att at work and its the fastest and works best at my work. Couldn't tell ya anywhere else in Gardner though. Only reason I wen't back to att because I have directvnow as well.
Unread 2017-06-20, 08:41 PM   #12
MymonteSS

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 23
Likes (Received): 119
Dislikes (Given): 21
Dislikes (Received): 1

T-Mobile is spending a lot of money to update their equipment in KC. My job has been installing new equipment every week for T-Mobile. They have also done a few sprint sites as well.
Unread 2017-06-21, 10:49 AM   #13
Username:*
More awesomer than you

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 54
Thanks (Received): 167
Likes (Given): 335
Likes (Received): 998
Dislikes (Given): 6
Dislikes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
When did you switch? Sprint has made a lot of changes over the last 5ish years. If you are in KC, I'm not sure you can't beat Sprint for the price.
Last week. I couldn't speed test at over 5mb with Sprint anywhere in JoCo I went. 5mb was on a good day. I can't tell you how many times I just got "Communication error" on the Speedtest app when trying to run one. It's just slow, shitty service. With Verizon I'm consistently seeing 30-70mb.

I know it's what everyone says, but Sprint straight up sucked ass for me but I dealt with it for years because of their 2 year deals on phones. Now that they don't do it anymore, I have zero reason to deal with shitty cell service and pay more for a phone.

I'm glad Sprint works for everyone else. It didn't work for me or the 5 people in line in front of me at the Verizon store when I made the switch.

2017 Hyundai Elantra Sport 6mt
Username:* is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-06-21, 10:59 AM   #14
ReidStylez
Yahh Trick Yahh!

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 99
Likes (Given): 41
Likes (Received): 934
Dislikes (Given): 11
Dislikes (Received): 25

My opinion is up in the air between Verizon and AT&T in the KC area. I've had a personal and work phone one on at&t and one on Verizon. There were places that had crappy service for AT&T that Verizon shined on and vise versa.
Unread 2017-06-21, 01:33 PM   #15
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 252
Likes (Given): 2483
Likes (Received): 1671
Dislikes (Given): 24
Dislikes (Received): 47

I've had Verizon (about 5 years ago), Sprint, then Fi (Sprint + TMo), now ATT.

I long for the service I had with Verizon. I was so good. Sprint is trash, Fi was slightly better, but not much (could have had to do with the Nexus 5X being trash), and I am very unsatisfied with ATT, currently. It isn't any better than Sprint, but costs about twice what I was paying for under my SWAC (family/friends of a Sprint employee) plan or Google Fi. I will be switching off it as soon as it makes financial sense... probably back to Sprint. It isn't that great, but ATT isn't really any better and the cost is fucking ridiculous. If I'm going to have crappy service, I might as well get it for a reasonable price.
Keboh is offline   Reply With Quote