Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > Automotive Forums > Donut Shop

Reply
Thread Tools
Unread 2013-02-21, 04:47 AM   #1
SirDavy
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 113
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 33
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 0
Default new missouri law.

rumor has it missouri is attempting to go to one plate only on vehicles com aug 28th 2013. lets all cross our fingers.
__________________
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes JewelsMari, jordan69 liked this post
SirDavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-02-21, 05:55 AM   #2
03foci
 
03foci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: independence, mo
Posts: 2,341
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 31
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 55
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 3
Default

Awesome


Sent from jeremy's iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
03 ford focus Zx5 lots of euro hottness comin soon
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 0 Likes, 1 Dislikes
Dislikes Hester_prynne disliked this post
03foci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-02-26, 12:41 AM   #3
grey89si
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 965
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 70
Likes (Received): 49
Dislikes (Given): 7
Dislikes (Received): 4
Default

Maybe you guys can get lucky and get rid of that silly "bi-annual safety inspection" rule too. Itd be nice to not have to deal with calls from MO people asking me if my car passed its 2 year inspection, every time I decide to sell a car Im tired of.

In the past when Ive told prospective MO buyers that kansas doesnt do inspections, aside from a VIN on out of state vehicles, I kind of get a confused look or response, I even had one guy from springfield ask me if the rest of the car passed inspection
grey89si is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-02-26, 11:33 AM   #4
Billy Mild
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pevely, MO
Posts: 6,162
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 120
Thanks (Received): 74
Likes (Given): 2613
Likes (Received): 593
Dislikes (Given): 85
Dislikes (Received): 33
Default

Inspections are a good thing. It is a way to keep unsafe cars of the street.
__________________
1991 Corvette ZR-1 #1599 of 2,044 airlid mod
2016 RAM 1500-Roll coal
1986 Yamaha RZ350-blown up
1971 Yamaha AT1c-In the middle of restoration
Billy Mild is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-02-26, 12:53 PM   #5
03foci
 
03foci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: independence, mo
Posts: 2,341
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 31
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 55
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mild View Post
Inspections are a good thing. It is a way to keep unsafe cars of the street.
True but everybody knows somebody that does it for free and doesn't look at the car
__________________
03 ford focus Zx5 lots of euro hottness comin soon
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes i love my cd7 liked this post
03foci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-02-26, 03:33 PM   #6
grey89si
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 965
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 70
Likes (Received): 49
Dislikes (Given): 7
Dislikes (Received): 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mild View Post
Inspections are a good thing. It is a way to keep unsafe cars of the street.
Nothing in your statement is incorrect, but I believe its something that every vehicle owner should do at their discretion, and not on a state mandated schedule. The only groups that state mandated safety inspections benefit, are the shops that do them, the techs that just do the inspections, and the various bureaucrats that keep this bloated system going.

All the mechanics Ive taken any of my cars to for whatever need, usually point out if theres something wrong on my car, and I either fix it myself, or have it fixed by someone with the tools and/or the know-how if I cant fix it myself. I worked at a dealership here in kansas part time when I was in college, and they did what was called "27 point inspections" on all their used cars, and sold lots of them on cars that people brought in for other service work. Apparently kansas has the right idea, with not having state mandated "safety inspections" for a LOONG time, and hopefully MO will follow, if the front plate law is repealed, thats a definite good start.
__________________
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Dirty Trucker liked this post

Last edited by grey89si; 2013-02-26 at 03:38 PM..
grey89si is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-02-26, 04:12 PM   #7
LSCobra
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 5,752
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 43
Thanks (Received): 61
Likes (Given): 615
Likes (Received): 474
Dislikes (Given): 12
Dislikes (Received): 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDavy View Post
rumor has it missouri is attempting to go to one plate only on vehicles com aug 28th 2013. lets all cross our fingers.
I'd love it, but that comes up every year or two and never goes anywhere. Don't hold your breath.
__________________
LSCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-03-02, 02:08 PM   #8
JR civic SI
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Overland Park
Posts: 232
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 17
Likes (Received): 18
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDavy View Post
rumor has it missouri is attempting to go to one plate only on vehicles com aug 28th 2013. lets all cross our fingers.
Cool, so the state can save money not producing both plates and still charge everybody the same amount... Its just another way to save the state money and keep charging us!

But i like it regardless.. whats the point of a front plate anyways?? I cant think of one good reason besides cops trolling through parking lots and being able to scan plates even if someone is backed into a spot.
JR civic SI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-03-27, 10:11 AM   #9
Dirty Trucker
 
Dirty Trucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Edwardsville
Posts: 47
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 15
Likes (Received): 4
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 0
Default

I would like to see this law repealed. It's stupid cops never pull you over from the front anyway..
__________________
" Smells like money to me "
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks grey89si thanked for this post
Dirty Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-03-27, 10:20 AM   #10
uprrman23
 
uprrman23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: KCMO
Posts: 16,500
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 267
Thanks (Received): 319
Likes (Given): 1963
Likes (Received): 2502
Dislikes (Given): 40
Dislikes (Received): 51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Trucker View Post
I would like to see this law repealed. It's stupid cops never pull you over from the front anyway..
I've been pulled over by a cop for not having a front plate (met him on a 2 lane hwy).

Obviously he was new but he asked why I didn't have a front plate and I said "The state of Kansas didn't give me one".

I'm guessing it was a "reason" to pull me over.
uprrman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-03-27, 11:31 AM   #11
Dirty Trucker
 
Dirty Trucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Edwardsville
Posts: 47
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 15
Likes (Received): 4
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by uprrman23 View Post
I've been pulled over by a cop for not having a front plate (met him on a 2 lane hwy).

Obviously he was new but he asked why I didn't have a front plate and I said "The state of Kansas didn't give me one".

I'm guessing it was a "reason" to pull me over.
Bet your ass it was.... They can't pull you over without A reason... He figured pull you over and then find some reason to ticket you... Compete bullshit
__________________
" Smells like money to me "
Dirty Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-03-27, 11:35 AM   #12
uprrman23
 
uprrman23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: KCMO
Posts: 16,500
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 267
Thanks (Received): 319
Likes (Given): 1963
Likes (Received): 2502
Dislikes (Given): 40
Dislikes (Received): 51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Trucker View Post
Bet your ass it was.... They can't pull you over without A reason... He figured pull you over and then find some reason to ticket you... Compete bullshit
I laughed at him the entire time. He was cool about it and said something along the lines of "guess I should have known that". But yes, i'm sure they get a lot of people by pulling that trick.


I'm just lucky I chugged both my beers and swallowed my shrooms before he could get to the car.
uprrman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-03-27, 11:45 AM   #13
Dirty Trucker
 
Dirty Trucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Edwardsville
Posts: 47
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 15
Likes (Received): 4
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by uprrman23 View Post
I laughed at him the entire time. He was cool about it and said something along the lines of "guess I should have known that". But yes, i'm sure they get a lot of people by pulling that trick.


I'm just lucky I chugged both my beers and swallowed my shrooms before he could get to the car.








When they ask to search my truck i say no... Just to fuck with them.. I know alot of the rules... My wife works with kck cops everyday... So I learned by listening to her telling me cop stories... The rules are reasonable suspicion I.e. You smell like weed or beer...and in plain sight... I.e. If you got open beer in cup holder... Then they have cause to search... Other than that they have to ask... If they don't ask or search When you say no you can sue for unreasonable search and seizure.. And any thing they find gets tossed out in Court..
__________________
" Smells like money to me "

Last edited by Dirty Trucker; 2013-03-27 at 11:53 AM.. Reason: If
Dirty Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-03-27, 12:00 PM   #14
snm95ls
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 42,770
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 399
Thanks (Received): 349
Likes (Given): 3583
Likes (Received): 2058
Dislikes (Given): 64
Dislikes (Received): 56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey89si View Post
Nothing in your statement is incorrect, but I believe its something that every vehicle owner should do at their discretion, and not on a state mandated schedule. The only groups that state mandated safety inspections benefit, are the shops that do them, the techs that just do the inspections, and the various bureaucrats that keep this bloated system going.
...
Since you seem to know so much about the whole process, care to explain to me how shops and techs derive any real benefits from the "bloated system?"
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Leonard McCoy
I know engineers. They love to change things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
...Because I live on a balanced diet, I have a balanced mind, and as a result I know that animals are like people. Some are for looking at. Some are for loving. Some are for riding. And some need to be shot because they’re a bloody nuisance.
snm95ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-03-27, 01:14 PM   #15
Mike V
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: ND
Posts: 8,268
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 40
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 420
Likes (Received): 405
Dislikes (Given): 2
Dislikes (Received): 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snm95ls View Post
Since you seem to know so much about the whole process, care to explain to me how shops and techs derive any real benefits from the "bloated system?"
I was wondering the same. It seems to me that $15 isn't enough to cover the time for a thorough inspection.
Mike V is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-03-27, 06:40 PM   #16
grey89si
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 965
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 70
Likes (Received): 49
Dislikes (Given): 7
Dislikes (Received): 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snm95ls View Post
Since you seem to know so much about the whole process, care to explain to me how shops and techs derive any real benefits from the "bloated system?"
Sure, its called forcibly upselling service, then insanely marking up the cost of parts that now are "required" to be replaced, or the customer fails the inspection. Seems pretty bloated, broken, inefficient and corrupt to me. Im sure there are some shops and techs that are the exception to the norm on this, but according to relatives who live in MO and some friends I have who have worked in repair shops in MO, they arent in the majority.

For the some of the shops and the "techs" involved, its an obvious moneymaker. The shop gets more tickets, and the techs flag more hours. I guess some people dont have a problem with being intimidated into paying 50 bucks for a new wiper blade, but I dont buy a new mercedes benz or porsche every year, so I cant personally justify it. To me, having some lube tech who flunked out of the walmart auto center try to talk down to me, and attempt to act like they know more about my car than I do, just because they now have state certification to do "safety inspections" makes my blood boil.

I guess kansas does have a version of a "safety inspection", you just dont have to take your car to a shop every 2 years, and pay for some ex fast food worker to do it. KHP patrolmen seem to do spot safety inspections on just about every car they pull over, but Ive never seen them write more than a "fix it ticket" if something stands out. Usually KHP gives either a verbal or written warning, and 99% of the time its over a tag light, brake light, tail light or headlight, but its the owners prerogative on what to do.
grey89si is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-03-27, 08:13 PM   #17
snm95ls
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 42,770
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 399
Thanks (Received): 349
Likes (Given): 3583
Likes (Received): 2058
Dislikes (Given): 64
Dislikes (Received): 56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey89si View Post
Sure, its called forcibly upselling service, then insanely marking up the cost of parts that now are "required" to be replaced, or the customer fails the inspection. Seems pretty bloated, broken, inefficient and corrupt to me. Im sure there are some shops and techs that are the exception to the norm on this, but according to relatives who live in MO and some friends I have who have worked in repair shops in MO, they arent in the majority.

For the some of the shops and the "techs" involved, its an obvious moneymaker. The shop gets more tickets, and the techs flag more hours. I guess some people dont have a problem with being intimidated into paying 50 bucks for a new wiper blade, but I dont buy a new mercedes benz or porsche every year, so I cant personally justify it. To me, having some lube tech who flunked out of the walmart auto center try to talk down to me, and attempt to act like they know more about my car than I do, just because they now have state certification to do "safety inspections" makes my blood boil.

I guess kansas does have a version of a "safety inspection", you just dont have to take your car to a shop every 2 years, and pay for some ex fast food worker to do it. KHP patrolmen seem to do spot safety inspections on just about every car they pull over, but Ive never seen them write more than a "fix it ticket" if something stands out. Usually KHP gives either a verbal or written warning, and 99% of the time its over a tag light, brake light, tail light or headlight, but its the owners prerogative on what to do.
As someone who has worked in shops in MO for several years, I'd say you have a very distorted view. I guess I don't associate with people that are out to rip off customers.

I never wanted to do MVIs because they are a pain in the ass, don't pay shit, and are NOT a guaranteed upsell.

IT is also pretty shocking how bad things have to be in order to legitimately fail an MVI. It also becomes a liability for the shop and the inspector as you can be fined an have your inspection license revoked if you pass a vehicle that should not pass. Maybe there are a lot of techs and/or shops that err on the side of caution to avoid such situations.

There is nothing that states that the shop or technician that failed an MVI has to be the one to repair it.

50 dollars for wiper blades? Change them yourself, and go back for the re-inspection.

It's real simple, keep your vehicle in reasonable shape, and you shouldn't have to deal with a failed MVI. If you know for a fact that they are full of shit, take it to another shop or go to the Highway Patrol.

It just seems like you are bitching about something without first hand knowledge.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Leonard McCoy
I know engineers. They love to change things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
...Because I live on a balanced diet, I have a balanced mind, and as a result I know that animals are like people. Some are for looking at. Some are for loving. Some are for riding. And some need to be shot because they’re a bloody nuisance.

Last edited by snm95ls; 2013-03-27 at 08:17 PM..
snm95ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-03-27, 08:26 PM   #18
Dirty Trucker
 
Dirty Trucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Edwardsville
Posts: 47
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 15
Likes (Received): 4
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snm95ls View Post
As someone who has worked in shops in MO for several years, I'd say you have a very distorted view. I guess I don't associate with people that are out to rip off customers.

I never wanted to do MVIs because they are a pain in the ass, don't pay shit, and are NOT a guaranteed upsell.

IT is also pretty shocking how bad things have to be in order to legitimately fail an MVI. It also becomes a liability for the shop and the inspector as you can be fined an have your inspection license revoked if you pass a vehicle that should not pass. Maybe there are a lot of techs and/or shops that err on the side of caution to avoid such situations.

There is nothing that states that the shop or technician that failed an MVI has to be the one to repair it.

50 dollars for wiper blades? Change them yourself, and go back for the re-inspection.

It's real simple, keep your vehicle in reasonable shape, and you shouldn't have to deal with a failed MVI. If you know for a fact that they are full of shit, take it to another shop or go to the Highway Patrol.

It just seems like you are bitching about something without first hand knowledge.
I just think it sucks... Every time my lifted trucks went in fail on bumper height.. Then I have to bolt wood to bottom of the bumper to drop it... Stupid...
Hell I could change from fuel injection to carb and take off all smog including cats and I pass I don't know the state is just stupid about some things. I think they are over critical in lots of ways
__________________
" Smells like money to me "
Dirty Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-03-27, 08:32 PM   #19
snm95ls
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 42,770
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 399
Thanks (Received): 349
Likes (Given): 3583
Likes (Received): 2058
Dislikes (Given): 64
Dislikes (Received): 56
Default

You do realize there are reasons for bumper height restrictions right?

Is it backwards in some ways? Sure. Your theory of taking off the fuel injection and swapping on a carb technically shouldn't pass as a visual emissions inspection is supposed to be part of the process. That is unless I am forgetting a lot of stuff.

All 3 clicks (or 18 minutes) worth of flag time. At least that is what the going rate was for an MVI when I was stilll doing them.

A lot of guys aren't going to pass something that is obviously a violation. A lot seem to be wiling to let some minor stuff slide.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Leonard McCoy
I know engineers. They love to change things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
...Because I live on a balanced diet, I have a balanced mind, and as a result I know that animals are like people. Some are for looking at. Some are for loving. Some are for riding. And some need to be shot because they’re a bloody nuisance.

Last edited by snm95ls; 2013-03-27 at 08:38 PM..
snm95ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-03-27, 08:51 PM   #20
03foci
 
03foci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: independence, mo
Posts: 2,341
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 31
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 55
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 3
Default

MVI is how I found out my wife's brakes weren't working 100%, I did have the shop do it cause of the winter storm that was happening at the time, my wife would of been at risk cause of the problem so it works for the shops that actually look at it
__________________
03 ford focus Zx5 lots of euro hottness comin soon
03foci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-03-27, 08:51 PM   #21
Dirty Trucker
 
Dirty Trucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Edwardsville
Posts: 47
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 15
Likes (Received): 4
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snm95ls View Post
You do realize there are reasons for bumper height restrictions right?

Is it backwards in some ways? Sure. Your theory of taking off the fuel injection and swapping on a carb technically shouldn't pass as a visual emissions inspection is supposed to be part of the process. That is unless I am forgetting a lot of stuff.

All 3 clicks (or 18 minutes) worth of flag time. At least that is what the going rate was for an MVI when I was stilll doing them.

A lot of guys aren't going to pass something that is obviously a violation. A lot seem to be wiling to let some minor stuff slide.
My experience is no one never looks at smog equipment lol
Hell my 98 Ranger when you pop the hood there should not be a v8 in there LOL they always pop it to see engine.... Tell me it's cool and then pass it anyway LOL no smog pump no cats no egr..... And rangers never came with v8's so thats automatic fail by itself... When cops pull me over (on occasion LOL) they ask what's under there but never revoke my inspection.... LOL like i said Missouri inspection process flawed
__________________
" Smells like money to me "
Dirty Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-03-27, 08:55 PM   #22
Dirty Trucker
 
Dirty Trucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Edwardsville
Posts: 47
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 15
Likes (Received): 4
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 0
Default

As far as a theory about smog, not theory in practice my old 89 dodge was 318 fuel injected went to built 360 carb... It passed every time... Till I put the lift and 42's on it... I say fuck bumper height a load of states don't have that... If brakes working properly it's a non issue... Furthermore if your afraid I will go over a car they need to gtfo my way lol
__________________
" Smells like money to me "

Last edited by Dirty Trucker; 2013-03-27 at 08:57 PM..
Dirty Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-03-28, 03:49 PM   #23
grey89si
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 965
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 70
Likes (Received): 49
Dislikes (Given): 7
Dislikes (Received): 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snm95ls View Post
As someone who has worked in shops in MO for several years, I'd say you have a very distorted view. I guess I don't associate with people that are out to rip off customers.
Well, kudos for being an honest businessman and not associating with shops or mechanics who do rip people off, btw Im not coming after you with any of my second hand info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snm95ls View Post
There is nothing that states that the shop or technician that failed an MVI has to be the one to repair it.

50 dollars for wiper blades? Change them yourself, and go back for the re-inspection.
I agree 100%, but when the shop/tech doing the inspection says theyll fail, and the inspection fee is non-refundable, a lot of people who arent vehicle-savvy tend to fold, pay them and get on with their day, instead of starting over with another shop and wasting another hour of 2 of their day.

Im not sure if the inspection fee is actually non-refundable or not, and perhaps thats a point you can clarify, but apparently theres some places that say it isnt..

Quote:
Originally Posted by snm95ls View Post
It's real simple, keep your vehicle in reasonable shape, and you shouldn't have to deal with a failed MVI. If you know for a fact that they are full of shit, take it to another shop or go to the Highway Patrol.

It just seems like you are bitching about something without first hand knowledge.
Well, I keep my vehicles in reasonable shape even though I dont have to deal with state mandated inspections, mainly because I have a healthy dislike of being stranded on the side of the road, and a safely operating car is a lot more fun to drive.

You are correct about my lack of first hand experience, and perhaps thats a good thing on mine and the part of everyone who would be involved. If I was just hearing a few bad things about mvi inspections from one or 2 people I run into from MO, Id be more inclined to be on your side. However, just about everyone I know from MO, who has lived in MO, and Ive done business with from MO, seems to comment about how much of a waste of time these inspections are, so Im inclined to believe theres more to their frustrations than just opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Trucker
As far as a theory about smog, not theory in practice my old 89 dodge was 318 fuel injected went to built 360 carb... It passed every time... Till I put the lift and 42's on it... I say fuck bumper height a load of states don't have that... If brakes working properly it's a non issue... Furthermore if your afraid I will go over a car they need to gtfo my way lol
I thought you guys didnt have to worry about smog crap aside from a very simple visual, thankfully in ks we dont have to deal with any of that emissions nonsense. Ive got all my cars tuned to run without cats or emissions junk for a reason..

Last edited by grey89si; 2013-03-28 at 03:56 PM..
grey89si is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-03-29, 07:43 PM   #24
Dirty Trucker
 
Dirty Trucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Edwardsville
Posts: 47
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 15
Likes (Received): 4
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey89si View Post
Well, kudos for being an honest businessman and not associating with shops or mechanics who do rip people off, btw Im not coming after you with any of my second hand info.


I agree 100%, but when the shop/tech doing the inspection says theyll fail, and the inspection fee is non-refundable, a lot of people who arent vehicle-savvy tend to fold, pay them and get on with their day, instead of starting over with another shop and wasting another hour of 2 of their day.

Im not sure if the inspection fee is actually non-refundable or not, and perhaps thats a point you can clarify, but apparently theres some places that say it isnt..


Well, I keep my vehicles in reasonable shape even though I dont have to deal with state mandated inspections, mainly because I have a healthy dislike of being stranded on the side of the road, and a safely operating car is a lot more fun to drive.

You are correct about my lack of first hand experience, and perhaps thats a good thing on mine and the part of everyone who would be involved. If I was just hearing a few bad things about mvi inspections from one or 2 people I run into from MO, Id be more inclined to be on your side. However, just about everyone I know from MO, who has lived in MO, and Ive done business with from MO, seems to comment about how much of a waste of time these inspections are, so Im inclined to believe theres more to their frustrations than just opinion.


I thought you guys didnt have to worry about smog crap aside from a very simple visual, thankfully in ks we dont have to deal with any of that emissions nonsense. Ive got all my cars tuned to run without cats or emissions junk for a reason..




It's supposed to be just a visual inspection to see if it's there
Missouri does not put a sniffer in your tailpipe like some states
But I'm sure eventually they will
__________________
" Smells like money to me "
Dirty Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-03-29, 10:21 PM   #25
snm95ls
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 42,770
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 399
Thanks (Received): 349
Likes (Given): 3583
Likes (Received): 2058
Dislikes (Given): 64
Dislikes (Received): 56
Default

To the best of my knowledge, the inspection fee is not refundable. Re-inspection after a failed MVI by the same shop within 60 days is.

I don't deal with the business end of MVIs, so I will not pretend to know all the details.

People like to complain about anything they see as an inconvenience. It's just human nature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Trucker View Post
It's supposed to be just a visual inspection to see if it's there
Missouri does not put a sniffer in your tailpipe like some states
But I'm sure eventually they will
They do in Franklin, Jefferson, St. Louis and St. Charles counties.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Leonard McCoy
I know engineers. They love to change things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
...Because I live on a balanced diet, I have a balanced mind, and as a result I know that animals are like people. Some are for looking at. Some are for loving. Some are for riding. And some need to be shot because they’re a bloody nuisance.
snm95ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

 

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:01 PM.


Design By: Miner Skinz.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.13.37
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright (c) 1993-2012, KCSR.org