Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Computers, Teh Interweb, Gaming, Electronics

Unread 2012-07-17, 10:12 AM   #101
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

None whatsoever. Lightsquared was given a license by the SEC two years ago with a mandate to cover 90-percent of the US population by 2015. And because there were some different issues that were unresolved, that license has been suspended. The pure regulatory issue on the strategy and marketing and sales for which I was responsible at Lightsquared, we did extremely well. As I said, I signed more than 40 contracts, including a $15 billion groundbreaking deal. It was the first network sharing deal in the US. So I'm very proud of my track record with Lightsquared on the marketing / sales front. I was not enrolled on the regulatory side, and that was unfortunate, but that tells me there is absolutely no parallel with RIM. RIM has no regulatory issues in any way similar to the issue Lightsquared was facing.

If the concerns for Lightsquared were largely regulatory, do you feel like you can point to what the sources of the problems were over at RIM?
As much as I would like to spend time analyzing the past, I'm focusing 100-percent of my time and energy on the future.

As much as I would like to spend time analyzing the past, I'm focusing 100-percent of my time and energy on the future. It's my fifth week with RIM and I'm really focused on two things. The first one is preparing a successful launch of BlackBerry 10, and secondly, it's building the world-class marketing organization. And so analyzing the past doesn't help that much to achieve those objectives. What I can tell you is that, on the branded side, what is noticeable is that in that last period the management of that brand will now be decentralized, and so today we have some fragmentation and replication across countries. Moving toward the launch of BlackBerry 10, I will implement a much more unified approach to marketing, so that we can leverage our scale and we make sure the best practice is implemented everywhere.

In your short period with the company, has the company's morale generally been high? Are people looking forward toward the future at RIM?

Yes. Obviously I have a lot of empathy for the people who are going to leave the company, and it's not easy for them. We are trying to do the right things and do them as fast as we can. But having said that, yes, there is a great sense of excitement because many people internally have touched and felt the BlackBerry 10 experience and they are very excited about the new platform. The fact that there are new leaders like myself or Kristian coming in with very positive outlook on the company is also energizing the troops. But truly, the BlackBerry 10 platform -- what people have seen of it has really energized and excited them.
I saw some bits and pieces of the BlackBerry 10 experience before I joined, but now we are much closer to a product that is ready to be launched, and I stop and play with it. I think it really is a significant change in the smartphone experience. I think we've been living now for five years in the paradigm that is the in-and-out paradigm: your user interface and your smartphone is defined by a page, a whole page on which you have icons. You click on one icon to do something and then you press the home button to come back and press on another icon to do something else. That's what I call in-and-out paradigm.
The BlackBerry 10 paradigm is radically different in that you will be always "in," going from one application to another without going back to a home button and with a rich integration across applications. You can have some experience of that new interface on the Playbook, but on the smartphone we take it to a whole different level. So I think that is really something that excites people internally, and quite frankly that is the foundation for future success because I firmly believe it's all about differentiation and with BlackBerry 10, we will redefine the space again. We won't be a copycat.
RIM execs have often mentioned that everybody who's seen the operating system has been very excited about it, and that's true on our end as well. But how do you get that experience out there? How do you actually bring that to people?

I think it all starts with the fact that we have today a huge bay of customers. We have 78 million customers worldwide, and the number is growing. In a number of countries throughout the world, we are the number one smartphone brand. As you know, we are number one in South America, South Africa, Nigeria, Indonesia, very strong in Italy. So, even in the US we still have a substantial number of hardcore BlackBerry fans. So to me the first step in our go-to market for BlackBerry 10 will be to make sure our existing customers very early on are exposed to what BlackBerry 10 will do for them.
We will start a bottom-up, grassroots positive buzz. I think today customers / consumers don't accept a top-down authoritative message -- they have to believe in it. It will start by putting the right phone in the right hands. Also, we have a huge following on Facebook, we are the number one OEM brand on Facebook. We have more than 22 million followers. So we are in a very good position to start and create positive momentum about BlackBerry 10 to our existing customer base.

The first device that's going to launch with BlackBerry 10 will be a touch screen device, and Thorsten touched on this a little bit during the shareholder's meeting: out of the gate, it seems that you're focused on consumers in a way that maybe RIM hasn't been in the past -- not strictly business / enterprise customers.

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2012-07-17, 10:12 AM   #102
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

It think that it is very much a US-centric view, because when I look at the customer base, on a worldwide basis, it is not skewed toward enterprise anymore. The enterprise customers are in the minority of our customer base. We don't disclose that split, but I can tell you it's a minority of customers when I look on a worldwide basis. So obviously we are absolutely determined to continue and be the best-in-class solution for enterprise, and alongside, we want to affirm an alternative that is competitive in different shapes for consumers, and also, the bring-your-own-device markets. So to go after those two objectives, we will have devices that are touch screen only and devices that are hybrids with keyboards and touch screens. On both occasions, we intend to have the best keyboard, be it touch only or a physical keyboard, and we've given a sneak preview at BlackBerry World of how we will deliver the best touch screen keyboard. Aside from RIM's continued dedication to the QWERTY keyboard and the move away from the "in-and-out experience," as you mentioned before – what else is BlackBerry 10 bringing to the table? If you were pitching this device to an iOS of Android user, what points would you use to convince them to make that change?

I think, fundamentally it's a device that will help you to get things done more efficiently than other smartphones. It's designed with that objective in mind: allowing you to manage more efficiently all your circle of contacts, professional, friends and family across different accounts: e-mailing, messaging, social networking, etc., your calendar, your tasks -- all in an integrated flow, which does not exist today in any smartphone experience. So that's the novel differentiation. Obviously, it's a challenge for me to describe that with words, but as soon as you see the first videos putting into a real context that 'flow,' you'll see how distinctive that real experience is. So that will be the primary differentiator. Think of it as a new user experience, a new interface.

Will RIM be working more with hardware or software partners -- or possibly looking to bring BBM to other operating systems?
We are looking at those questions without any taboos, and we are looking at them with their respective merits.

There is a strategy review that is going on with the leadership team. We are looking at all those questions, but those conclusions have not been reached yet. I cannot comment on them. The only thing I can say as a member of the management team is that we are looking at those questions without any taboos, and we are looking at them with their respective merits.

Unread 2012-07-20, 12:28 PM   #103
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

How to save RIM: ‘Pull a reverse Apple’

We all love to point and laugh when bloggers and tech writers tell us what massive multi-billion dollar public companies “need to do” to survive, or how they can easily “be saved.” When the writer offering advice is the co-founder and former CEO of a successful public company, however, his advice might at least be worth considering. EarthWeb/Dice co-founder Jack Hidary oversaw a record-breaking IPO in 2007, and he has taken to Fortune to offer some free, unsolicited advice for struggling smartphone vendor Research In Motion (RIMM): “Pull a reverse Apple.”
Shares of RIM stock are hitting record lows as investors wonder just how bad things might get over the next six months as the company preps its first BlackBerry 10 smartphone. While RIM continues to weigh all its options, Hidary offers one that doesn’t appear to be anywhere near the top of the company’s list.
In 2006, Steve Jobs’s Apple (APPL) ditched PowerPC in favor of Intel chipsets across its PC line, allowing Apple to focus more on its own software and the associated user experience. RIM, Hidary suggests, should consider doing the opposite.
BlackBerry users love RIM’s hardware according to Hidary, and RIM should consider coupling its hardware expertise with a more established software ecosystem.
BlackBerry 10, the next-generation platform RIM is hoping to roll out in the first quarter of 2013, will start from square one. Apple’s iOS and Google’s Android operating systems are supported by massive ecosystems and tens of thousands of developers. According to some, on the other hand, BlackBerry 10 may actually be losing developer support right now and we’re still six months away from launch.
RIM should switch to Android, Hidary believes. Android is generally a consumer-focused platform, and RIM should set out to build its own version of Android for business.
“RIM can easily jettison its software platform, which has failed to attract developers, and license Google’s (GOOG) Android while keeping its unique line of Blackberry hardware,” Hidary writes. “RIM can add value on the Android platform by delivering a business version of the OS. This would include built-in hooks for Salesforce.com, Oracle, SAP and other enterprise platforms.”
If Google won’t provide RIM with the support it needs for some reason, Hidary thinks the Waterloo, Ontario-based vendor should fall back on Microsoft’s (MSFT) Windows Phone platform. Considering the rough time Nokia is having with its transition, however, that might not be the best idea.
Hidary certainly makes some interesting points, and a truly enterprise-oriented version of Android would likely appeal to a wide range of businesses. He’s also right about RIM’s hardware chops — BlackBerry keyboards are still unrivaled and as we’ve seen with the Bold 9900, RIM can build a gorgeous smartphone. Whether or not the company can pivot with or without Android, however, remains to be seen.

Unread 2012-08-02, 12:25 PM   #104
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

BlackBerry: other manufacturers could license our new BB10 platform
Thorsten Heins, chief executive of Research in Motion, has told the Telegraph that manufacturers such as Sony or Samsung could licence the new BlackBerry operating system.

The troubled technology giant cannot compete with larger manufacturers and so must look at how to get more budget smartphones into the market, Heins says.
In an exclusive interview, Heins tells the Telegraph, “We don’t have the economy of scale to compete against the guys who crank out 60 handsets a year. We have to differentiate and have a focused platform. To deliver BB10 we may need to look at licensing it to someone who can do this at a way better cost proposition than I can do it. There’s different options we could do that we’re currently uinvestigating.”
That raises the prospect of a BlackBerry phone that is made by, say, Samsung or Sony. “You could think about us building a reference system, and then basically licensing that reference design, have others build the hardware around it – either it’s a BlackBerry or it’s something else being built on the BlackBerry platform. We’re investigating this and it’s way too early to get into any details. We have to also model this from a finance perspective – that’s why we’re working with the financial advisers to see if we do this where would it take the company. Either we do it ourselves or we do it with a partner. But we will not abandon the subscriber base.”
Heins also claims that Blackberry is “not in a trough”, and says that “If you look at the platform it’s still growing, if you look at the devices we’ve got a single phone that’s sold 45million units.”
Research in Motion, BlackBerry’s parent company, once traded shares at over $140; now they are at $7.25.

Heins argues that the current difficulties are due to a once-in-a-decade change over to new operating system, BlackBerry 10.
“We know that BlackBerry OS7 was a great platform – but it would not carry us to where we wanted to be tomorrow, with the full mobile computing experience,” says Heins. “We don’t have the resources like a Microsoft; we have to place one bet and make it right; we don’t want to go for an intermediate step. It comes out in the first quarter and I think a lot of people are going to be surprised.” BB10, for instance, will allow what Heins calls “true multitasking”, potentially running a car’s navigation, entertainment and gaming systems for the whole family. “It’s working and it’s running right now,” says Heins as he points to his own phone. “It has never reset on me. The teams are working relentlessly day and night, at the weekends – it’s a once in a decade change that will see us through the next ten years.”
He says the bulk of the work going on for the new software is not building an operating system, it’s building the “platform around it”, and argues that BlackBerry must continue to control and provide a uniquely differentiated experience if it is to retain its customers’ loyalty.

Unread 2012-08-06, 04:25 PM   #105
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Sprint Says BlackBerry 10 is 'Exciting' But Not Enough

Sprint today called what it has seen of Research In Motion's forthcoming BlackBerry 10 platform is "exciting," but also said it may not help RIM regain its former stature as the smartphone leader. Sprint spokesperson David Owen, responding to questions from journalists, said "I would not count RIM out. RIM keeps reinventing itself. BlackBerry 10, as we've looked at it, has some really good characteristics. We're excited to see what it can do. The challenge is RIM took on everything. They took on the entire gambit: the storefront, the operating system, the manufacturing, and this caused them to be slow in reacting to the changes in the market. We don't think we will see RIM get back to the levels they were two years ago. So we have to figure out where they'll be going forward" in Sprint's product roadmap.

Unread 2012-08-06, 05:12 PM   #106
Bustin Dailey
Fanboi 4 lyfe

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 879
Thanks (Received): 106
Likes (Given): 1432
Likes (Received): 597
Dislikes (Given): 53
Dislikes (Received): 21

Sad... I'd like to see them just make hardware, and stick their own software goodies on top of an android OS.

Offering great deals on over 600 new/pre-owned cars and trucks. WWW.WKCHEVY.COM
Bustin Dailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2012-08-08, 11:11 AM   #107
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Motorola has already copied the BB form factor w/ Android iirc

Samsung may be RIM’s best hope, analyst says

Research In Motion Ltd.’s best hope may be a partnership with Samsung, because the Canadian company’s vaunted new software for its smartphones is not good enough to unseat the dominance of Apple and Android products.

That’s the conclusion from analyst Peter Misek of Jefferies, who believes that the BlackBerry maker’s strategic review will end soon with a decision that RIM needs to license the new BB10 operating system.

The system is good – “much better” than the current offering on BlackBerry phones based on trials – but not as good as Apple’s newest operating system and only as good as the top Android offering. So if BB10 isn’t the magic bullet to turn around RIM, RIM will need to look at more radical options.

The one that involves giving up the least independence is licensing. Samsung is the likely target. The Korean company has signalled it wants to focus more on the user experience on its phones.

However, Samsung might prefer to just wait and see the reception BB10 gets, and then just buying all of RIM, Mr. Misek said in a note Tuesday.

“We believe Samsung is considering ramping up its internal OS [operating system] development efforts, licensing BB10, or buying RIM,” the analyst wrote. “We think any acquisition is unlikely until after BB10 launches.”

Samsung is doing well at the moment because of its phones, but is in danger because it doesn’t own its own software and uses Android as its platform.

Licensing BB10 is a possibility, and there are talks, Mr. Miseks says. However, there are risks to working with an independent RIM, because RIM could be purchased by someone else and then Samsung could be frozen out.

So buying RIM would “provide insurance.”

Unread 2012-08-09, 11:44 PM   #108
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

RIM Said to Draw Interest From IBM Over Enterprise-Services Unit

Research In Motion Ltd. (RIMM)’s enterprise-services unit has attracted the interest of International Business Machines Corp. (IBM), according to two people familiar with the situation.
IBM made an informal approach about possibly acquiring the division, which operates a network of secure servers used to support its BlackBerry devices, said one of the people, who asked not to be named because the matter is private.
Enlarge image
Sales at RIM fell 43 percent last quarter, pushing the company out of the ranks of the world’s top five smartphone makers, according to research firm IDC. Photographer: Brent Lewin/Bloomberg

No party has shown interest in buying all of RIM or the division that makes its phones, and the Canadian company is inclined to wait for the rollout of BlackBerry 10 phones next year before making any decisions on a sale, the person said. No talks are currently under way, according to the person.
RIM Chief Executive Officer Thorsten Heins, who took charge in January, is trying to turn the company around after customers defected to Apple Inc. and Google Inc.’s Android, triggering losses and declining sales. The Waterloo, Ontario-based company said in May that it had hired JPMorgan Chase & Co. and RBC Capital Markets to study strategic options. Heins has said he would prefer to find a partner or license RIM’s operating system, rather than pursuing sale.
James Sciales, a spokesman for Armonk, New York-based IBM, said the company doesn’t comment on rumors or speculation, as did Nick Manning, a spokesman for RIM.
BlackBerry 10

RIM, once the world’s leading smartphone maker, is racing to get the BlackBerry 10 lineup ready for its debut early next year, aiming to regain market share lost to Apple’s iPhone and Google’s Android operating system. The company also is eliminating almost a third of its workforce and shutting down manufacturing sites to boost efficiency.
Its share of the global smartphone market fell to 4.8 percent in the second quarter from 12 percent a year earlier as Android climbed to 68 percent and Apple slipped to 17 percent, according to Framingham, Massachusetts-based IDC.
RIM reported a fiscal first-quarter loss in June of 37 cents a share, excluding some items, more than five times what analysts had predicted. Sales tumbled 43 percent to $2.8 billion, missing a prediction of $3.05 billion, and the company said it would cut 5,000 jobs.
RIM shares rose 2.4 percent to $7.80 yesterday in New York. The stock has declined 46 percent this year.

Unread 2012-08-17, 08:58 AM   #109
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

RIM lays off almost a quarter of staff in Halifax

Mike Cassese/Reuters files The exterior of one of the Research In Motion Limited (RIM) buildings is seen in Waterloo. Nova Scotia's economic development minister Percy Paris says he learned earlier today that the smartphone maker is laying off about 95 employees in Halifax.

HALIFAX — Nova Scotia’s economic development minister says Research in Motion Ltd. has cut almost a quarter of its Halifax-area staff.

Percy Paris says he learned earlier today that the smartphone maker is laying off about 95 employees.

Paris says more than 400 people work at the Halifax location and the cuts are significant.

RIM, Ontario team up to help laid-off employees with job search
RIM layoffs could hit thousands
He says he hopes the layoffs are temporary but adds that the government will do what it can to provide support to the laid off workers, though he didn’t specify.

A spokeswoman for RIM says the cuts are part of the company’s June 28 announcement that they would be reducing their global workforce by 5,000.

Unread 2012-08-17, 12:01 PM   #110
kellyrx8
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 30
Thanks (Received): 100
Likes (Given): 702
Likes (Received): 450
Dislikes (Given): 7
Dislikes (Received): 3

it has started....
kellyrx8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2012-08-23, 12:43 PM   #111
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

The BGR Show – Saving BlackBerry: RIM CMO Frank Boulben talks BlackBerry 10 and company strategy

This week we sit down with Research In Motion’s (RIMM) Chief Marketing Officer Frank Boulben to discuss the state of BlackBerry. We cover RIM’s marketing challenges and triumphs, what sets upcoming BlackBerry 10 devices apart from iOS and Android, how the tablet space is shaping up, and other details about the company’s plans. There’s a product-focused version of the interview below for The BGR Show, and a longer unedited version that follows.

Research In Motion changed the world with it launched the first BlackBerry device, but the company has been in decline over the past few years. With Apple and Samsung dominating the smartphone market, the future of the BlackBerry brand rides on whether or not RIM can succeed in stirring up excitement over its upcoming new BlackBerry 10 smartphones. This week, we talk to RIM’s Chief Marketing Officer Frank Boulben about the next generation of BlackBerry smartphones and how RIM plans to take on Apple and Samsung in the smartphone market.

Unread 2012-08-27, 12:17 PM   #112
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

RIM: No buyers in sight

Research In Motion (RIMM) has repeatedly stated that it will explore all opportunities as it looks to reverse its current slump. CEO Thorsten Heins regularly points to licensing the upcoming BlackBerry 10 platform as an option, though no potential licensees have emerged at this point. RIM has already begun to identify non-essential businesses it might sell in an effort to raise cash, but larger divisions could end up on the block and RIM may even explore an outright sale. According to Town Hall Investment Research analyst Jamie Townsend, however, RIM’s prospects ahead of its BlackBerry 10 launch are bleak at best.

In a research note circulated this week, Townsend dives into potential suitors RIM may be courting if it is indeed looking to sell essential parts or all of the company. His conclusion: RIM pretty much has no hope of attracting any real interest ahead of BlackBerry 10 hitting the market next year.

Samsung (005930), which has repeatedly denied even considering a RIM acquisition, would be the most logical buyer according to Townsend. But “Samsung has its hands full,” the analyst writes, and it would probably be ”reluctant to add something outside of its current focus.”

Bloomberg reported earlier this month that IBM (IBM) is considering an acquisition of RIM’s enterprise business, but Townsend doesn’t think it’s likely that the Waterloo, Ontario-based company would be willing to part with it on its own. ”Should RIM sell its services and possibly software business it would also cripple its financial viability, effectively putting the hardware side and remaining assets up for sale,” he wrote.

Townsend goes on to list a number of additional possibilities — Microsoft (MSFT), Nokia (NOK), Amazon (AMZN), Facebook (FB) and Google (GOOG) included — but notes various reasons why none of them are likely to be interested in RIM. In other words, RIM is in for a rough road ahead, at least until it launches BlackBerry 10 next year

Unread 2012-09-03, 10:52 PM   #113
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

BlackBerry 10 L-Series all-touchscreen phone caught on camera

If you can't wait until next year to see the future for RIM, N4BB has obtained what it claims is a picture on the BlackBerry 10 L-Series, aka London. The screenshot shows a launcher pane full of app icons including BBM, Facebook, Maps and StoryMaker, which could be an iMovie-style video editor. Other leaks, including one from a video posted by BlackberryItalia.it (embedded after the break), indicate it could pack a removable 1800mAh LS1 battery and will be gunmetal colored. Of course, we don't know how far along the software is on this unit compared to the ones we had hands-on experience with, but if you're committed to sticking with the team from Waterloo then any news is likely welcome.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly.

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAr6WtfOp-4

Unread 2012-09-11, 07:30 PM   #114
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a chance HTC will license BB10? Maybe.

RIM was once one of the great kings of the smartphone world. While there are parts of the world that are still very receptive to BlackBerry devices, its presence in many major markets has taken a pretty huge nosedive in recent years.
The salvation of the company is supposedly its next generation OS, BB10. The new OS is similar to what was found in the PlayBook, which has done less than great, but is supposed to be better, faster and stronger than ever before.
In order to try and crawl out of the huge financial hole it’s creating for itself, RIM recently announced a new strategy: it will attempt to license out its QNX-based BB10 OS to other phone companies and even automotive and computer developers. At the same time, RIM said they would still make their own line of BB10-based BlackBerry handsets.
The talks about licensing soon lead to speculation that Samsung might be interesting in buying or licensing out the BB10 OS for future products, which Samsung quickly shot down. So Sammy might not be interested in licensing, but HTC might.
That’s right, two once-Kings that have fallen from grace could eventually come together. Keep in mind that this doesn’t mean they are going to, but just that they might.
Here is the exact quote from Graham Wheeler, the director of product management at HTC, regarding BB10′s potential:
Quote:
I don’t have any knowledge, but that is not to say we are not looking at it. But from my point of view we are not saying we are closed to a new operating system. We will review each one to make sure it’s the best for our customers.
With HTC developing both Android and Windows 8 devices already, could they also be considering branching out to yet a third OS? Granted an off-comment by a RIM executive isn’t exactly proof they will come together, but its an interesting proposition.
Would you be interested in an HTC BlackBerry device?

Unread 2012-09-18, 12:47 PM   #115
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

RIM’s first BlackBerry 10 smartphone pictured in leaked photos

Research In Motion (RIMM) is doing everything it can to stay the course as it prepares to launch its debut BlackBerry 10 smartphone early next year. The struggling vendor has precious little in the way of fresh handsets to keep it afloat in the meantime — a recent report claimed some carrier stores haven’t sold a single BlackBerry smartphone in more than a month — but RIM’s executive team seems confident that its next-generation smartphones will mark the beginning of a new chapter for RIM.

New images of company’s first BlackBerry 10 smartphone, code-named BlackBerry London, were published on Tuesday by Blackberryitalia.it and while we’re not seeing anything special in terms of a differentiated design, it does appear that RIM has built a solid piece of hardware on which it will debut its new platform.

The London is rumored to feature a full touchscreen form factor with a 768 × 1280-pixel high-definition display, and the handset is currently slated to launch early in the first quarter of 2013.

Unread 2012-09-19, 08:53 PM   #116
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

BlackBerry 10 L-Series gets a early hands-on teardown

We've not yet seen the RIM's latest devices get an official announcement yet, despite that fact we're now getting a look at some of the devices internals thanks to a purported early hands-on teardown. The device being tore down, is no doubt that same as the devices we've seen in previous images and videos and to go along with it, there is some commentary from those who tore it down over at BisVN though, some of the info is a bit off from what we know already:
  • Full capacitive touch-screen, we were informed that the keyboard version would most likely come out a month after.
  • Dual core processor with an pristine IPS display
  • Two colors: white + black. The white looks awesome, way better than the iPhone 5 which I am currently testing.
  • Front camera with video chat feature like team view. Besides being able to see each other through the front camera, it can also show the screen of the person you are talking too.
  • Camera with auto-focus can take pictures at the speed of 1shot/second, then you can choose the best one.
  • Time view function. For 1 picture, it could save up to 10 facial expressions of any person, they you can scroll back and forth to view and choose the best one.
Overall, there isn't anything surprising in the commentary of the teardown but as noted in CrackBerry forums, they'll be updating with more information shortly. For now, you can jump below to see some more images of the device toredown.
Discuss in the CrackBerry Forums

Unread 2012-09-19, 09:25 PM   #117
Molon Labe

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 19
Thanks (Received): 39
Likes (Given): 185
Likes (Received): 169
Dislikes (Given): 13
Dislikes (Received): 12

slick looking setup. i would switch to BB if there were more support for the platform. it always seemed like a very stable/secure platform

to me....its more about good useable app's and games that i will actually like/use

Last edited by Molon Labe; 2012-09-19 at 09:29 PM..
Molon Labe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2012-09-26, 09:34 PM   #118
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

RIM CEO: We have a 'clear shot' at No. 3

RIM CEO Thorstein Heins says BlackBerry is about to mount its comeback.
(Credit: Lynn La/CNET) Research In Motion has had a hard slog over the past year, but is poised to reclaim its spot among the top mobile ecosystems, CEO Thorsten Heins said today during a press briefing at BlackBerry Jam.
Heins said the company's decision to bet everything on its new BlackBerry 10 operating system would allow the company to begin growing its user base once again in the United States and North America, where it has rapidly lost ground to devices from Apple, Samsung, and Microsoft, among others.
"We have a clear shot at being the No. 3 platform in the market," said Heins, who took the reigns at RIM nine months ago. "Carriers want other platforms. And we're not just another open platform running on another system. We're BlackBerry."
Becoming no. 3 in installed base of mobile devices would mean surpassing Symbian, which currently holds that spot. Android and iOS are the top two mobile platforms by a comfortable margin.
Heins said developers are eager to build apps for BlackBerry's base of 80 million users around the world, and said BlackBerry 10 was the most productive version of the operating system to date.
But for all the cheerleading, there was little in the way of concrete information about the new platform: when the new devices will be available, beyond reiterating it will be in the first quarter of 2013; how they will be priced; which carriers it has signed; and, crucially, why mainstream consumers are likely to opt for these devices over robust offerings on iOS and Android.
The company also declined to discuss financial data, citing a mandatory quiet period in advance of its earnings report on Thursday.
"BlackBerry 10 is on track," Heins said. "Our sales forces are getting ready. Better devices are in testing."
Heins' remarks came after a nearly two-hour demonstration of BlackBerry 10's user interface, which employs a system called "Peek" to allow for fast switching between apps, messages, and notifications. In a demonstration, it appeared to be an elegant way to check in quickly on various corners of the operating system. At the same time, engineers struggled at times to get it to work, occasionally having to swipe up two or three times before the gesture started to work.
RIM executives worked nonetheless to rally developers back to the company's side, pledging that certified developers will make at least US$10,000 from their apps (if they meet a few conditions), and appearing in a whimsical music video together that quickly went viral in tech circles.

Unread 2012-09-27, 09:57 AM   #119
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 257
Likes (Given): 61
Likes (Received): 1932
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 35

Wow what great motivation. You can be no 3

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2012-09-27, 10:52 AM   #120
Bustin Dailey
Fanboi 4 lyfe

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 879
Thanks (Received): 106
Likes (Given): 1432
Likes (Received): 597
Dislikes (Given): 53
Dislikes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Stewart View Post
They are kicking the can right now, shit its all they have done for the last two years. I assume you mean "kick the bucket."

I think they will make it a little longer. I think OS10 will hit, their device will flop and they will become a service company
Bingo.

Offering great deals on over 600 new/pre-owned cars and trucks. WWW.WKCHEVY.COM
Bustin Dailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2012-09-27, 11:34 AM   #121
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

Its a definite improvement but I doubt its going to make then #3. Microsoft has a shit-ton more money to throw at it while Blackberry is on borrowed time. They used to have the BES ecosystem to fall back on but so many people shifted away and IOS/Android got some good management tools (and you know MS isnt going to linger).

Hell, I have my equiv right now. Google Apps for Business and Android. The authenticator makes my apps account the administrator for the device and I have full control to set polcies, control access and lock/wipe/locate the phone.
Unread 2012-10-02, 10:27 AM   #122
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Carving Up RIM Is an Unappetizing Prospect

Investors counting on a breakup to unlock Research In Motion’s true value best not get their hopes up. Though RIM has already appointed bankers to review its strategic options — which one analyst infamously described as “sell, break up or die” — selling off the company for parts or in its entirety at this point in time would be a daunting undertaking. And, in the end, it might not even be worth it.

Credit Suisse analyst Kulbinder Garcha recently took a look at RIM’s prospects for selling off all or part of itself, and concluded that pulling off either would be a nightmare at this point. “Any deal for [the] company is highly complex in our view, requiring simultaneous management of a declining business, as well significant restructuring, and as such an acquirer maybe be best advised to wait for [the company] to shrink meaningfully before making any potential move,” Garcha theorized, adding that he’s not sure there’s anyone out there who could turn RIM into a winning play.

“A break up is possible,” he said. “[But] we question the quality of the underlying patent portfolio and also believe that converting RIM’s existing network operations center for other OS platforms may require a high level of effort for minimal functionality improvement.”

That might be so. Thing is, RIM has a user base of about 78 million. And that has to be attractive to companies that don’t have the time or inclination to build their own smartphone business, but are looking to be a player in the space. But the risks are significant. There would be clearly be a bevy of platform and network operations issues to be dealt with, as Garcha noted. And beyond that, the stink of Hewlett Packard’s $1.2 billion acquisition of Palm still hangs heavy in the air. Who in their right mind would want to risk reprising that?
What happens in the meantime? Here’s Garcha again: “We believe that a combination of the late arrival of BB10 devices, as well as a fiercely competitive environment, hinders RIM’s ability to turnaround its handset business and estimate its global smartphone share declining to 2.5 percent in 2013.”

Unread 2012-10-03, 03:06 PM   #123
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

The best-case scenario for BlackBerry right now? Build a niche as a ‘cult’ product

OK, so I admit that I’ve been picking on RIM (RIMM) a lot lately. And in my defense, the company over the past few years has made it pretty easy for me since it’s made a litany of crucial mistakes that have left it in its current dire situation. But the more I’ve thought about RIM recently, the more I’ve come to believe that its BlackBerry OS may have a real chance to escape the same fate as Symbian, webOS or any number of failed mobile operating systems. And the reason for this is simple: RIM’s remaining customers are fiercely loyal to their products and will passionately evangelize on their behalf.

How do I know this? Well, I read my inbox and my Twitter feed every day. BlackBerry fanatics hound me all the time for either not writing about RIM enough or only writing negative things about RIM. While every operating system has its fanboys and girls, RIM fans show the sort of dogged dedication to defending their favorite company that’s normally reserved for Apple (AAPL) and Android fans.

And boy, have RIM fans had to put up with a lot of nonsense in recent years, from half-baked products like the original BlackBerry Storm and Playbook releases, to multiple product release delays, to phones that are released with vastly inferior hardware compared with other devices on the market. And yet through it all, they’ve stood by their company, even when their company hasn’t released a new smartphone in ages. To use a sports analogy, RIM fans remind me a lot of Oakland Raiders fans at the very depths of the JaMarcus Russell era: They’re people who haven’t lost their love for their team despite suffering through one defeat loss after another.

So: What does this have to do with RIM’s future business prospects? Well it means that they have a very solid base of customers to start from, customers who have stuck with them even through the absolute worst of times. And as long as they make those customers happy with BlackBerry 10 — and as long as those customers like BlackBerry 10 enough to preach its virtues to their friends and coworkers — then RIM has a chance of hanging on and slowly rebuilding itself.

Of course, it’s one thing to have a chance of success, it’s another thing entirely to take advantage of it and RIM will need a lot of luck to pull it off. Still there are some encouraging signs. In the first place, the delays of BlackBerry 10, while frustrating for users, could be a sign that the company is taking its time to get things right before putting out a product. Second, in contrast to the reality denial that was common in the waning days of the Balsillie/Lazaridis era, new CEO Thorsten Heins knows that if BlackBerry 10 flops, RIM has no hope of ever recovering. And finally, it looks as though the new BlackBerry devices will be made with strong hardware that will at least help them keep up with the bevy of high-end Android devices that get released every month.

Do I think RIM will pull this off? I’m betting no, mostly because the hole they’ve dug themselves is so deep that it will be very difficult to recapture the public imagination like they’ve done in the past. But if they take care of their remarkably loyal user base first and then concentrate on pushing steadily outward, they might have a shot.

Unread 2012-10-04, 11:51 AM   #124
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

BlackBerry Has a Mystery Quad Core 2GB RAM Superphone in the Works

Well this could be (but sadly probably won't be) interesting. A spec sheet of a supposed new phone from RIM has turned up on RapidBerry, and its specs actually seem, for once, pretty modern.

Here's the spec rundown: a Qualcomm APQ8064 Krait Quad Core 1.5GHz processor, 2GB of RAM, LTE, an OLED 4.65-inch 1280x720 screen, 16GB of storage with a microSD card slot, and a 2800mAh battery. Its dimensions, 68 x 136 x 8.85mm, put it basically right at the same size as the Galaxy S III, which is 71 x 137 x 8.6mm.

So it looks like this should be, on paper, a solid, competitive phone. But RIM has fallen flat with competitive hardware before. The success or failure of any new BlackBerries, if their fate isn't already sealed, rests with software. And it's still not clear if BB10 has anything people actually want. Still, for the RIM faithful, this should be at least mildly exciting. [RapidBerry via Slashgear via GSMArena]

Unread 2012-10-22, 02:06 PM   #125
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

RIM LOSES ANOTHER BIG CUSTOMER AS MAJOR GOVERNMENT AGENCY SWITCHES 18,000 TO APPLE

RIM (RIMM) diehards may be showing patience with their favorite company but some other major customers aren’t doing the same. Reuters on Monday reported that the United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency (ICE) is ditching its contract with RIM and will instead switch its 17,600 employees to Apple’s (AAPL) iPhone. The agency said that it decided to move away from BlackBerry because RIM’s devices “can no longer meet the mobile technology needs of the agency.” ICE’s decision to leave RIM puts even more pressure on the company to release its BlackBerry 10 operating system, which the company is counting on to revive interest in its products next year.