Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Computers, Teh Interweb, Gaming, Electronics

Unread 2013-10-15, 04:59 PM   #426
KUweatherman
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 403
Thanks (Received): 364
Likes (Given): 4993
Likes (Received): 2126
Dislikes (Given): 123
Dislikes (Received): 174

Their meeting was last night hence my post.
Unread 2013-10-16, 10:44 PM   #427
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Google Fiber policies updated to allow personal servers, but small businesses still left out

Google initially forbid customers using its high-speed Google Fiber internet service from operating servers inside their home. Despite arguing that the practice was an "industry standard," the company's decision was met with fierce criticism from net neutrality advocates and the EFF. But now it appears that Google is quietly revising its policy — at least to some extent. A recently updated Acceptable Use Policy that outlines how consumers may "use Google Fiber properly" now makes clear that use of personal servers is permitted, so long as it's not for any commercial purposes.
Google had already given the go-ahead for personal servers previously, but now the fine print has been altered to reflect the company's relaxed stance. It's an issue that many users are passionate about: earlier this month, one angry consumer protested outside the convention center where Google was holding Fiber sign-up events in Provo, Utah.
According to Google, scenarios that are allowed include "using virtual private networks (VPN) to access services in your home and using hardware or applications that include server capabilities for uses like multiplayer gaming, video-conferencing, and home security." That's sure to please consumers, but likely comes as a disappointment to small businesses hoping to use Google's gigabit connection for their own servers. For now, commercial servers remain prohibited, but Google says that a solution is in the works. "For now, we’re extremely focused on bringing Fiber to all of the residents who are already signed up and waiting for service," writes Michael Slinger, director of Google Fiber business operations. "We will have more information about our small business product in the future."

B68 | F82 |///M | S55B | NAV | LED | Avant Garde | Toyo Proxes 4
JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-10-25, 09:52 AM   #428
kellyrx8
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 30
Thanks (Received): 101
Likes (Given): 704
Likes (Received): 455
Dislikes (Given): 7
Dislikes (Received): 3

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/10/25...land-park.html

Fuck you OP.....an GIANT FUCK YOU
kellyrx8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-10-25, 09:55 AM   #429
Hummer

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 55
Thanks (Received): 24
Likes (Given): 200
Likes (Received): 118
Dislikes (Given): 3
Dislikes (Received): 1

OP City Council are idiots and thought they could get Google to bend and bow to them. Epic fail.
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-10-25, 11:40 AM   #430
titaniumSS

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 67
Thanks (Received): 121
Likes (Given): 677
Likes (Received): 721
Dislikes (Given): 6
Dislikes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyrx8 View Post
I guess they should've gotten their heads out of their pompous asses in a more timely fashion. At least Google was able to set an example for the rest of the country by letting everyone know that their service is in demand and not something that is automatically given.

titaniumSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-10-25, 01:29 PM   #431
TheRoach

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Given): 76
Likes (Received): 164
Dislikes (Given): 30
Dislikes (Received): 41

Fucking sucks.... Good thing I'm moving after winter. TWC is fucking epically horrid.
TheRoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-10-25, 03:00 PM   #432
kellyrx8
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 101
Likes (Given): 704
Likes (Received): 455
Dislikes (Given): 7
Dislikes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoach View Post
Fucking sucks.... Good thing I'm moving after winter. TWC is fucking epically horrid.
I know it sounds redic....but im outta OP in march...and this has a slight effect on that decision.
kellyrx8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-10-25, 04:23 PM   #433
TheRoach

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Given): 76
Likes (Received): 164
Dislikes (Given): 30
Dislikes (Received): 41

Quote:
I know it sounds redic....but im outta OP in march...and this has a slight effect on that decision.
Well I am moving to Lawrence to finish out my school. I do plan to return and this will have an impact on when I come back. I hate TWC more than I ever hated comcast. I always look at whats available before I move into certain places.
Unread 2013-11-21, 01:45 PM   #434
tim_ws6

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 183
Likes (Received): 477
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 2

Those in KC who missed their initial deadline get a second chance

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascit...nd-chance.html

2002 CETA | 2012 Sierra Denali
tim_ws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-12-03, 09:12 AM   #435
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Missouri suburbs wait and wait for Google Fiber deal

Google Inc.’s plans for stretching its TV and light-speed Internet across the Kansas City market include deals with more than a dozen cities, but gaping holes exist — especially in the Missouri suburbs.

More News

Community calendar

Missouri suburbs wait and wait for Google Fiber deal

Noland Road still draws entrepreneurs in Independence

Support groups aid Kansas City area heart patients

Support groups aid Kansas City area heart patients

Read more 816

In Overland Park, the California-based tech behemoth responded to a momentary hesitation from the city council by putting off, indefinitely, efforts to stitch the prosperous suburb into the fold of Google Fiber.

The other unmistakable gap in the market is marked by working-class Independence. The Jackson County suburb’s 115,000-plus residents could go a long way toward giving Google a better return on the investment it’s made to build a network and string fiber optic lines directly to homes.

Yet Google says it never opened talks with Independence officials and is not on the verge of doing so.

“We hope to be able to expand to more communities in the future, but for now we’re focusing our energy and resources on engineering, designing, and building a new fiber network for the communities” that already have deals with Google, company spokeswoman Jenna Wandres said in an email.

Independence City Manager Robert Heacock confirmed that Google recently told the city that it is not prepared to expand in that direction, but he said Independence is prepared to engage in discussions about Google Fiber if the position changed.

Google Fiber has signed agreements to sell service to the north, west and south of Independence. The company has said it’s trying to keep its construction costs down by deploying only in neighborhoods where demand from customers justifies the expense. Ultimately including large suburbs such as Overland Park and Independence in its build-out could help the company greater exploit economies of scale.

What remains unclear is whether the lack of formal agreements between Google and various cities will necessarily dictate that they’d be among the last in the market offered the service. The project has run behind schedule almost since the company chose Kansas City, Kan., as its starting point over more than 1,000 other cities that vied for the project.

The company has yet to offer service to all the neighborhoods that qualified last year — by virtue of enough residents putting down $10 commitments — in central Kansas City and Kansas City, Kan. The company remains vague about when neighborhoods in south Kansas City or in the city north of the Missouri river will find out if Google is going to sell them service.

It may be 2015 or later before Google Fiber is built out in the limits of Kansas City.

Google’s Wandres said hookups in the suburbs will likely come only after all, or nearly all, of the customers in qualifying neighborhoods are offered service.

The company has said that coming to terms with those outlying towns is critical to the often complex engineering need to plan how it will expand the network.

So far, Google Fiber has signed agreements with the two Kansas Citys, Olathe, Leawood, Fairway, Mission Hills, Mission Woods, Lenexa, Merriam, Prairie Village, Roeland Park, Shawnee, Westwood and Westwood Hills in Kansas. On the Missouri side, it has deals with Gladstone, Grandview, Lee’s Summit and Raytown.

Along with Overland Park and Independence, deals are noticeably lacking with Liberty, Blue Springs, North Kansas City and Parkville. Wandres said that as in Independence, there are no ongoing talks with those communities.

“We hope to be able expand to more communities in the future,” Wandres said.

City officials in several communities hope she’s right.

As of now, however, the message from Google is loud and clear: Don’t call us, we’ll call you.

In the past several months, most of the communities snubbed by Google Fiber have been gently nudging the company, through phone calls or meetings, to talk about a possible deal.

In Cass County, several cities joined forces to persuade Google Fiber to come their way.

Back in early July, officials from Belton, Raymore and other Cass County communities held a meeting with local Google Fiber representative Rachel Hack to discuss bringing the high speed Internet to their cities.

In the wake of agreements signed with Lee’s Summit and Grandview, the cities hoped they would be the next step, said Jay Leipzig, Belton’s community and economic development director.

Although Hack said Google would take their interest into consideration, she made no promises. The cities haven’t heard anything since.

The cities are not giving up hope.

“We’ve talked about pushing Google even further, but we don’t want to be a hindrance,” Leipzig said. “Google has been very receptive to us and they made it clear there’s nothing we can really do at this point to change anything. We’re still sending them emails once in a while to let them know we’re still interested. We don’t want them to forget about us.”

When Lee’s Summit signed its agreement, Blue Springs was another city knocking on Google Fiber’s door.

“I would love for Blue Springs to sign a similar agreement to Lee’s Summit,” said Blue Springs city administrator Eric Johnson.

But he acknowledged that after Blue Springs contacted Google, the company made it clear it wasn’t ready to discuss anything with the city yet.

Now, they wait.

Despite being held at arm’s length, Johnson remains confident that at some point, Google will want to meet with Blue Springs.

“We’re optimistic, but we don’t want to create an expectation for our citizens that it is definitely coming, because honestly, it might not,” he said. “I expect municipal leaders in similar situations are saying the same thing. We understand that these things typically don’t come as quickly as we want. We just have to be patient and wait for it.”

And if Google Fiber does come around, Blue Springs will welcome it with open arms, he added.

“We’re contacted almost daily, through email and Facebook from residents wanting to know when Blue Springs is going to get Google Fiber,” Johnson said. “We’re just letting citizens know we’ve let Google know we’re interested and we’re hopeful the company will turn to us when it’s ready.”

Parkville is also seeing a high demand for Google Fiber.

So many residents have been asking about when the service is coming, the city added a special Google Fiber section on its website, informing people of the latest updates.

Right now, it’s letting residents know that Google is aware of Parkville’s interest and the city will be contacted when the company is ready to discuss expanding into the community.

“Parkville immediately recognized the importance of the Google Fiber announcement for the region,” said Lauren Palmer, the city administrator. “Parkville hosted a Missouri Municipal League event two years ago and recruited Rachel Hack as the speaker. It was her fourth day on the job. Parkville leaders continue to communicate periodically with Ms. Hack for updates.”

Palmer said Parkville is eager to work with Google to negotiate expansion into the city, but she understands the process takes time.

Liberty confirmed a similar tale.

In May, the city coordinated a meeting with community partners including the Liberty Public School District, William Jewell College and Liberty Hospital, with Hack to discuss potentially bringing Google Fiber to the city.

“After that meeting, we did contact Google to express our willingness to work with them to bring fiber to our community,” said Liberty communications manager Sara Cooke. “We still are interested in talking with Google about a partnership and hope that we are offered that opportunity.”

With its demographic of young families and college students, she pointed out that Liberty would be a perfect fit for the high speed Internet service.

But she knows the city will have to wait.

“We understand it’s their business model,” Cooke said. “But we’re not giving up hope they’ll come around.”

Waiting seems to be the name of the game when it comes to Google Fiber, whether a city has signed an agreement or not.

“It’s a long process, even after you make a deal,” said Leipzig, of Belton. “Because even if a city signed an agreement today, it would still take years before Google Fiber was installed.”

Along with a cable-like TV service (still lacking the popular AMC channel), the top-end Internet connections sold with Google Fiber move data at a rate of 1-gigabit-per second. That’s roughly 100 times faster than broadband in most American homes. Such speeds are available to many businesses. Google Fiber is distinctive because it sells such speeds at home consumer prices.

Unread 2013-12-03, 09:43 AM   #436
offensive
No I am NOT a girl.

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 21
Likes (Received): 1756
Dislikes (Given): 18
Dislikes (Received): 50

fuck

my

life
Unread 2013-12-03, 11:42 AM   #437
titaniumSS

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 67
Thanks (Received): 121
Likes (Given): 677
Likes (Received): 721
Dislikes (Given): 6
Dislikes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by offensive View Post
fuck

my

life
Independence and Blue Springs getting the shaft...yet Lee's Summit is fine. Uh...that's right next door.

titaniumSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-12-03, 12:33 PM   #438
dattaway2

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 17
Dislikes (Received): 0

I kind of like it. A terabyte here, a terabyte there, just another typical day in the fiberhood...

dattaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-12-03, 12:50 PM   #439
MymonteSS

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 23
Likes (Received): 120
Dislikes (Given): 21

Girlfriend and I close on a house on the 19th and took advantage of the second sign up go-round. Must say I'm pretty excited for it.
Unread 2013-12-03, 01:00 PM   #440
baker
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 83
Likes (Given): 66
Likes (Received): 485
Dislikes (Given): 10
Dislikes (Received): 30

Quote:
fuck

my

life
1 of my reasons when looking to buy a new house
baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-12-04, 08:56 AM   #441
chucknasty

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 1
Dislikes (Given): 0

For those of you that have google fiber, what kind of wiring do they use to get from the box on the side of the house to the modem inside? The reason I ask is that I am building a house in KCK and doing on the prewiring now. I would like to make any special wire runs before sheetrock if at all possible. I have RG5 prerun but don't know if that is what is required.

thanks
David
Unread 2013-12-04, 09:18 AM   #442
dattaway2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucknasty View Post
For those of you that have google fiber, what kind of wiring do they use to get from the box on the side of the house to the modem inside? The reason I ask is that I am building a house in KCK and doing on the prewiring now. I would like to make any special wire runs before sheetrock if at all possible. I have RG5 prerun but don't know if that is what is required.
Fiber.
Unread 2013-12-04, 10:05 AM   #443
MymonteSS

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 23
Likes (Received): 120
Dislikes (Given): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dattaway2 View Post
Fiber.
Hmm that I didn't know. I thought it was Ethernet from the outside box to the inside.
Unread 2013-12-04, 12:17 PM   #444
dattaway2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by MymonteSS View Post
Hmm that I didn't know. I thought it was Ethernet from the outside box to the inside.
It's about a 50 length of premade fiber section to the inside to the cat5 converter... and from there is the cat to the box.
dattaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-12-05, 07:11 PM   #445
BlitzKrieg

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 18
Dislikes (Given): 0

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummer View Post
OP City Council are idiots and thought they could get Google to bend and bow to them. Epic fail.
I'm sure the TWC truck sitting in the parking lot at city hall has nothing to do with why op didn't sign with google.

1991 Nissan Sentra GXE - DD
1989 Jeep Cherokee Laredo *SOLD*
BlitzKrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-12-05, 08:00 PM   #446
offensive
No I am NOT a girl.

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 21
Likes (Received): 1756
Dislikes (Given): 18
Dislikes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by baker View Post
1 of my reasons when looking to buy a new house
Every house my wife and I have looked at, I've made sure she checks for Google as a requirement, both here and in Austin.
Unread 2013-12-05, 09:28 PM   #447
ericsmith3232

Post Thanks / Like

We got hooked up on Wednesday. Getting 600 to 800 both ways. Think there was a minor glitch tonight other than that no complaints here. The google install makes the old twc connection look like a joke. Extremely professional and clean. There is a piece of fiber from the box on the house to the Ethernet converter downstairs.

Based in the trucks around here I'd say over half the houses have signed up. We're one of last houses so based on that the speed hasn't dropped much. Guess I'm used to twc.

Netflix and Amazon in HD is awesome.. Won't go into any other forms of entertainment...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ericsmith3232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-12-05, 09:31 PM   #448
baker
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 83
Likes (Given): 66
Likes (Received): 485
Dislikes (Given): 10
Dislikes (Received): 30

Quote:
Every house my wife and I have looked at, I've made sure she checks for Google as a requirement, both here and in Austin.
Austin?!
baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-12-05, 09:32 PM   #449
KUweatherman
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 403
Thanks (Received): 364
Likes (Given): 4993
Likes (Received): 2126
Dislikes (Given): 123
Dislikes (Received): 174

In a couple years, we can all have a KCSR reunion party down in Austin.
Unread 2013-12-16, 04:14 PM   #450
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Why AT&T says it can deny Google Fiber access to its poles in Austin
Google isn't a telecom or cable provider, so it has to pay more for access.

Google's quest to build a fiber network in Austin, Texas has hit a snag in the form of AT&T.

AT&T owns about 20 percent of the utility poles in Austin, with the rest of them being owned by the city. Instead of increasing congestion by adding more poles, the City Council was expected to vote last week "to force AT&T to allow Google Inc. use of its utility poles to install its planned high-speed Google Fiber network in the city," as the Austin American-Statesman reported last Tuesday. The Council drafted a new ordinance making it easier for communication service providers to secure pole attachments at reasonable prices.

The vote was postponed until January 23, 2014, however. AT&T and Google are expected to negotiate an agreement before that date, but AT&T's public stance is that it doesn't have to let Google use its poles.

“Google has the right to attach to our poles, under federal law, as long as it qualifies as a telecom or cable provider, as they themselves acknowledge," AT&T Public Affairs VP Tracy King told the American-Statesman. "We will work with Google when they become qualified, as we do with all such qualified providers."

Targeted ads lower the price of GigaPower in Austin, Texas.
AT&T was chided by DSLReports for "whining" about sharing utility poles with Google. But AT&T's argument seems to be legally sound, and it will likely allow the company to win payments from Google, similar to a previous outcome in Kansas City.
AT&T did not answer questions from Ars, but a city official explained what's going on.

"Basically, the current regulations require companies with utility poles in the public rights of way to provide access to certified telecommunications providers and to TV/cable companies," Paul Lewis, assistant manager of telecommunications and regulatory affairs in Austin, told Ars. "Google is not a certified telecommunications provider, and it's a video service provider as opposed to a television/cable company."

If Google were to apply to the Public Utility Commission of Texas to become a qualified telecom, "It would make them subject to all of the state and federal telecommunications regulations," Lewis said.

Telecom in this context essentially "means the same thing as telephone service," Matt Wood, policy director at consumer advocacy group Free Press, told Ars. That excludes pure Internet services, even though Google and many other companies such as Microsoft's Skype provide voice calling over the Internet.

Telecom providers are subject to more regulation, which Google wants to avoid. Google would probably not have to promise universal service, because that requirement "usually goes to the incumbent" rather than a challenger, Wood said. But there would still be "state oversight of the rates you might charge."

Google also hasn't positioned itself as a cable provider, not because it uses fiber instead of coaxial cable, but because federal communications law defines cable service as "one-way transmission to subscribers of video programming or other programming service." Google Fiber delivers IPTV, which counts as a two-way network because "A subscriber to an IPTV service uses a set-top box to request specific individual video signals from the IPTV service provider," telecom attorney Michael Glaser writes. "Thus, the subscriber controls the video signals he or she wishes to access."

Google: “We're happy to pay”

For those reasons, AT&T appears to be on solid ground in claiming that Google isn't a telecom or cable provider. That means federal law doesn't give Google guaranteed pole attachment rights at the reduced rates charged to telecom and cable companies.

AT&T has argued that telecom regulations are outdated and too restrictive and that they should be eliminated or dramatically reduced as the nation moves from traditional phone networks to all-Internet Protocol networks. But those rules still exist today, and AT&T doesn't want Google to gain the benefits of being a telecom provider without the regulatory risks, especially in a market where Google is trying to lure away AT&T's Internet customers. Google's entry into Austin led to AT&T building its own fiber network in the city.

The companies will probably come to some agreement in Austin. City Council member Mike Martinez wrote on Facebook, "After hard work, lots of meetings and tons of input—AT&T and Google agree to negotiate their issues with the city."

The delay of the Council vote gives time for those negotiations to happen. Something similar happened in Kansas City, the first city with Google Fiber. While no specific details of the Kansas City deal were revealed, the companies "entered into an agreement whereby Google Fiber Inc. can attach to AT&T’s poles in the Kansas City, Kansas, and Kansas City, Missouri, city limits," AT&T told the Kansas City Business Journal last year.

Google told the Austin American-Statesman that it "would be happy to pay for access (to utility poles) at reasonable rates, just as we did in our initial buildout in Kansas City."

If negotiations with AT&T fail, Google will bank on the City Council forcing AT&T's hand.

"Our biggest concern is making sure that Austin citizens don’t have to deal with unnecessary disruption and extra infrastructure," a Google spokesperson told Ars. "We’d be thrilled to reach this outcome regardless of whether it comes about from a City Council ordinance or from signing reasonable pole attachment agreements with pole owners."

Tags
google fiber