Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Computers, Teh Interweb, Gaming, Electronics

Unread 2009-11-13, 05:56 PM   #201
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Android Puts HTC on the Map

NEW YORK, (TheStreet) -- Google's (GOOG Quote) Android helped phone maker HTC become the fastest-growing smartphone shop in the third quarter.

While overall mobile phone sales remained flat compared with year-ago levels, the smartphone segment of the market is still hot, logging a 12% annual gain, according to Gartner.

And the trends within the smartphone sector continue to show more of the big shift from stalwarts like Nokia (NOK Quote) and Motorola (MOT Quote) to a quickly rising cohort of HTC, Apple (AAPL Quote) and Research In Motion (RIMM Quote).

The shift is a familiar one for Nokia, which has been helpless in its attempts to defend its top spot against the popular iPhone, the expanding consumer appeal of BlackBerrys, and now the rise of Android-powered Google phones.

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 0 Likes, 3 Dislikes
Dislikes animal, focusandy, rich94 disliked this post
JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2009-11-14, 04:39 PM   #202
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Google releases source code for Android 2.0

One week after Verizon launched the Motorola Droid with Android 2.0, Google has released the source code for their latest update. I’ve been unplugged for several days so I was actually quite shocked when I heard the Eclair source code was now available in the AOSP (Android Open Source Project).

It looks like we have to thank one of our favorite (and most vocal) Android engineers, Mr. Jean-Baptiste M. “JBQ” Queru. He worked close to 100 hours the last 6 days to make this release possible.

Details of the Eclair drop were posted on the Android-platform mailing lists.

Quote:
I’ve just created an eclair branch in AOSP, which contains the code
that many people have been waiting for.

What’s in that branch? It’s basically a snapshot of part of Google’s
internal eclair tree, a little bit more recent than the build that was
used in Droid. It’s not the exact source for Droid and is not ready to
ship on a consumer device.

Caveats:
-There’s no change history. Google is planning to eventually make the
change history available, but at the moment the history contains some
things that can’t be open-sourced, and making a snapshot was the
fastest way to deal with those.

-It’s a partial tree. We’ll be open-sourcing more of eclair over time,
but we figured it would make more sense to open-source part of it now
instead of waiting until everything was in place.

-It doesn’t build for ADP1 or ION/ADP2. We’re working with the various
companies involved to try to resolve this issue, but we preferred to
open-source the code in its current state instead of waiting for a
solution on the hardware side.

-It’s not currently merged in the master tree. I’m working on it, but
I wanted to get something out before the week-end. Please be patient.
I’ll try to complete it as quickly as I can.

-It doesn’t currently contain the AOSP-specific files (build
configurations, etc…). They’ll come back.

-Calendar is broken. I have a fix that I will release along with the
master tree.
Many people might be wondering when Android 2.0 might appear on older phones now that the source code is available to the public. The most popular community dev Cyanogen will most likely begin backporting certain features from Android 2.0 over the next few days. However, a complete build of Android 2.0 will not be available on older devices (G1 and myTouch) until handset makers update their device drivers for the new Linux kernel that shipped with Eclair.

Unread 2009-11-15, 04:41 AM   #203
KUweatherman
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 402
Thanks (Received): 363
Likes (Given): 4962
Likes (Received): 2124
Dislikes (Given): 121
Dislikes (Received): 174

We are able to root our Sprint Heros now. Late posting this, I know, since it's been available for a week. Instructions for both PC and Mac are available over on the xda developers forum. Just search for 'root Sprint Hero' in their search box. Haven't attempted it yet, myself. Kind of nervous. I did d/l the SDK though if I do decide to attempt to root my phone.
Unread 2009-11-15, 02:22 PM   #204
Kyle Bryan k

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 84
Thanks (Received): 40
Likes (Given): 434
Likes (Received): 181
Dislikes (Given): 2
Dislikes (Received): 8

Hey guys I need your help. I am gifting my old g1 to my father. He does not currently have the android internet nor does he want it. I am looking for apps that he can run with out internet. His main goal with the phone is to make phone calls. I figured I would ask you guys before I systematically start going through it all one by one. I am assuming it will be mostly games and tools that are less likely to access the internet. Thanks in advance.
Kyle Bryan k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2009-11-15, 02:24 PM   #205
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle bryan kushman View Post
Hey guys I need your help. I am gifting my old g1 to my father. He does not currently have the android internet nor does he want it. I am looking for apps that he can run with out internet. His main goal with the phone is to make phone calls. I figured I would ask you guys before I start systematically start going through it all one by one. I am assuming it will be mostly games and tools that are less likely to access the internet. Thanks in advance.
G1 Won't Work Without a Data Plan, Period

Buying yourself a T-Mobile G1 off eBay? Better hope that it's either unlocked or that you can get yourself an active T-Mobile SIM card. The G1's much-vaunted first step during the setup is to enter your Google login username and password. Once that happens, the G1 attempts to connect to Google's servers to get your email, contacts, and calendar set up.

Here's the thing, though, if (or when) the G1 cannot connect to the servers, you're done. There is no way to exit out of the Google setup screen, no clear way to reset the phone to bypass it (even in "safe mode"), no way to turn on WiFi. You basically have a sweet phone that can only made emergency calls.

There ya go so basically sell your G1 and get him a razor or something else

Unread 2009-11-15, 02:27 PM   #206
Kyle Bryan k

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=KUweatherman;544344]We are able to root our Sprint Heros now. Late posting this, I know, since it's been available for a week. Instructions for both PC and Mac are available over on the xda developers forum. Just search for 'root Sprint Hero' in their search box. Haven't attempted it yet, myself. Kind of nervous. I did d/l the SDK though if I do decide to attempt to root my phone.[/QUOTE

There is a phone store in Westport called green mobile. Pretty sure they might do it for you. It is located on westport road a few stores down for where the old loma vista hardware store was located. You should call and ask before wasting your time going down there. I have been told they will do it, but not sure.
Unread 2009-11-15, 02:28 PM   #207
Kyle Bryan k

Post Thanks / Like

thanks jdlm
Unread 2009-11-15, 02:32 PM   #208
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Android Is Still Open As A Book

A blogger claims that Android is becoming less open, but is that really what's going on? Check out why we think Android is promoting openness more than ever.

John Biggs at CrunchGear this weekend wrote a column on the introduction of Android 2.0. As we've all figured out by now, Google selects smartphone concepts to showcase new technology. Google started with Android 1.0 on T-Mobile's G1, and then moved on to Android 1.5 on the HTC Hero, and most recently showcased Android 2.0 on the Motorola Droid.

Unlike CrunchGear, we think that's a brilliant strategy that will benefit the mobile industry as a whole. The key here is the pace of the technology development, and we can't wait to see what will be Google's next showcase, and hopefully they'll continue to be released at the same bi-annual pace. If there's one thing the mobile industry need, it's forces like Google and others that help push things forward rapidly.

If that means there won't be released 10 equal Android smartphones simultaneously, like with some other operating systems, so be it. In fact, that would just make the mobile industry more attractive in our opinion.

Lastly, we have no idea how CrunchGear is able to turn this into an issue of less openness, when it in reality ensures openness is promoted stronger than ever. The fact that a reputable publication like Washington Post also somehow managed to redistribute this madness is beyond our imagination.

Unread 2009-11-15, 02:44 PM   #209
Kyle Bryan k

Post Thanks / Like

will ten dollar a month data plan still will work? I have put my girlfriends sim in the g1 and have been able to operate it before, that was about six months ago. She has the 10 dollar or 8 dollar whatever data plan for her Sammy Behold. Was it just a loop hole that they have now fixed?
Unread 2009-11-15, 02:45 PM   #210
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
will ten dollar a month data plan still will work? I have put my girlfriends sim in the g1 and have been able to operate it before, that was about six months ago. She has the 10 dollar or 8 dollar whatever data plan for her Sammy Behold. Was it just a loop hole that they have now fixed?
Try it and see, but when you call and tell T-mobile they will see the G1 and probably not let you do it

Unread 2009-11-15, 02:57 PM   #211
Kyle Bryan k

Post Thanks / Like

ok i will try it later today and let you know. You seem pretty knowledgeable and up to date on this android stuff. Would you happen to know if the Mytouch will ever receive the the 2.0. I have known for quite awhile that the g1 and mytouch are capable of multi touch. I have heard that the g1 is stuck at 1.6?
Unread 2009-11-15, 02:58 PM   #212
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
ok i will try it later today and let you know. You seem pretty knowledgeable and up to date on this android stuff. Would you happen to know if the Mytouch will ever receive the the 2.0. I have known for quite awhile that the g1 and mytouch are capable of multi touch. I have heard that the g1 is stuck at 1.6?
There are various articles about 2.0 etc.. just have to go back a couple pages

I know there is a post about why the G1 may not get it due to space

Unread 2009-11-15, 10:14 PM   #213
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Android Market Badly Needs A Desktop Presence To Compete With The App Store

I've spent the last week throughly enjoying my new Droid, and while I've come across some problems, most of my issues have simply been with the fact that Android does things differently than the iPhone ? the transition just takes some getting used to. But there's one big issue that needs far more than a UI tweak: Android Market. If there was a theme common to nearly every Droid review, it was that Android's app selection just doesn't cut it compared to the iPhone. I think that consensus is only half the story. These reviewers are finding that Android has a weaker selection of applications than the iPhone not just because some of their favorite apps aren't there, but because actually browsing the Market just isn't as enjoyable as what Apple's iTunes offers. If Android's Market's perception as a poor man's App Store is going to change, this experience needs to improve.

Currently, all Android Market browsing and transactions are done through an application that comes with the phone. This mobile application used to be pretty bad (it didn't even offer screenshots of the apps), but was finally overhauled in September to be more competitive with the iPhone's mobile version of the App Store. The new version is a big improvement, but browsing the store from the phone isn't exactly a good time ? you can only see a few apps at once, so scrolling through various lists gets tedious.

Contrast that with the App Store that's integrated into Apple's iTunes. Using iTunes to download new applications isn't just something people do when they need an app to accomplish a certain task. It's something they do for fun. Clicking through various top apps exposes plenty of high quality games, apps from popular sites like Yelp, and even the occasional productivity tool. It's all very fast too ? you can easily download fifteen new apps in a single browsing session without breaking a sweat.Android doesn't have anything close to that. The official Android Market website (pictured below) is a total joke. It shows a list of some of the top apps from its Paid and Free sections, along with a handful of screenshots. It doesn't even have a full listing of the apps available, or any kind of search feature (as an aside, the entire Android site looks terrible ? type in "Android" into Google, and this homepage is the first result). Yes, there are more comprehensive third-party listings, but there's no way to download apps to your device without looking them up from your phone.

There's an answer to this, and it's one that's right up Google's alley: Google should rework the Android Market site into a full-fledged AJAXy web app, hopefully with the input of some talented designers. From a functionality standpoint the new Market should be a fairly blatant ripoff of Apple's App Store on iTunes, with Top App lists, search, ratings, and so on (though there's plenty of room for Google to improve on application discovery). Users would log in using their Google accounts, and use Google Checkout for payments. Next to every app listing would be a 'Download' or 'Buy' button. Clicking that would then send a notification to your phone, alerting you that you had outstanding downloads that could be sent straight to your device at your leisure. Large applications would require a Wi-Fi connection to download. Your Android phone is already tied to your Google account anyway, so the entire experience would be seamless.

Of course, there's the argument that most people don't buy mobile apps from their desktop anyway ? AdMob recently conducted a survey(PDF) that found that over 90% of users download their iPhone apps Over-The-Air (i.e. they're downloaded directly to the phone) rather than through an iTunes sync. That number sounds high to me, but it's one that Google shouldn't pay much attention to for a few reasons. For one, syncing with iTunes is a pain. Yes, Apple has made the process about as easy as it could given the bevy of options it has to include, but between the backing up, nebulous 'Syncing' messages, lengthy transfers from PC to iPhone and vice versa, it's just a lot easier to download straight to your phone.

A cloud based push solution wouldn't have those syncing issues ? you'd be able to purchase apps from just about any computer connected to the Internet, and the only downtime required would be the time needed to actually download the app from Google's servers. And even if the bulk of purchases would still be done directly from handsets, that doesn't make a full fledged Android Market experience on the desktop any less important. Android Market is still very much the underdog to Apple's App Store, and consumers considering an Android handset are likely turning to the web to scope out the applications available on Android to see how they compare to the App Store. Right now, Android fails that test.

Done properly, this setup would likely see the number of apps downloaded increase, as would the number of paid purchases (entering a credit card number on a computer is far easier than on a phone). And that would bring more developers to the platform, boosting the number of quality apps available. Of course, Android has a few other problems to worry about ? some developers complain about the inability to install applications on a phone's SD card, and there's always the problems involved with developing for multiple devices running different versions of the OS. But turning the Market into something users can actually browse from their PCs is a good start.

Oh, and don't be surprised if Apple adopts their own web based store some time in the future ? they're already experimenting with 'iTunes Preview' for music and video content.

Unread 2009-11-16, 03:36 AM   #214
KUweatherman
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUweatherman View Post
We are able to root our Sprint Heros now. Late posting this, I know, since it's been available for a week. Instructions for both PC and Mac are available over on the xda developers forum. Just search for 'root Sprint Hero' in their search box. Haven't attempted it yet, myself. Kind of nervous. I did d/l the SDK though if I do decide to attempt to root my phone.
There is a phone store in Westport called green mobile. Pretty sure they might do it for you. It is located on westport road a few stores down for where the old loma vista hardware store was located. You should call and ask before wasting your time going down there. I have been told they will do it, but not sure.
If I root my phone, I'm capable of doing it myself. Thanks though!
Unread 2009-11-16, 03:51 AM   #215
Nguyen

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 121
Likes (Received): 118
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 1

I'm curious to know, if you were to mess up with "rooting" is there a way to like restore your phone like the iPhones?
Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2009-11-16, 08:56 AM   #216
jmc816

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 4
Dislikes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nguyen View Post
I'm curious to know, if you were to mess up with "rooting" is there a way to like restore your phone like the iPhones?
It's hard to screw up. If you need any help send me a PM
Unread 2009-11-16, 09:52 AM   #217
Nguyen

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 121
Likes (Received): 118
Dislikes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc816 View Post
It's hard to screw up. If you need any help send me a PM
Thanks for the offer. But i should mention i dont have an adroid based phone I 'm a member of the evil jailbroken iPhone crew lol. But I ask cause a couple of my friends recently got android phones and i was suggesting they should root their phone and they were worried about bricking their phones.
Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2009-11-16, 09:55 AM   #218
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
its simple to get it back to orig standards...
remove the hardspl while the phone is still rooted - flash the orig bootloader found on xda,
then flash the rc29 nbh file back, and you're done...
do a factory reset
and voila.. back to caveman phon
Also, there are warranty concerns but there ya go

Unread 2009-11-16, 11:33 AM   #219
jmc816

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 4
Dislikes (Received): 0

I have insurance so I have no warranty concerns.
Unread 2009-11-16, 06:07 PM   #220
turbotuner20v

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 22
Thanks (Received): 80
Likes (Given): 50
Likes (Received): 990
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 10

I'm about to buy a Sprint Hero and want Android 2.0... This will be my first go around w/ 'hacking' a phone (which is the 'rooting' thing right?) What are the risks to doing this w/ sprint? Could someone outline the possible scenarios from 'bricking' the phone to the warranty issues mentioned above?

thanks
turbotuner20v is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2009-11-16, 09:54 PM   #221
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotuner20v View Post
I'm about to buy a Sprint Hero and want Android 2.0... This will be my first go around w/ 'hacking' a phone (which is the 'rooting' thing right?) What are the risks to doing this w/ sprint? Could someone outline the possible scenarios from 'bricking' the phone to the warranty issues mentioned above?

thanks
They can deny your warranty that is pretty much what will happen if you brick the phone, warranty or not.

Sciphone's Android-toting N21 unboxed, dual SIM slots caught rockin' the suburbs

It may look a lot like the General Mobile DSTL1, but SciPhone's N21 still has its very own soul. Our BFFs over at Engadget Chinese were able to wrangle one in, and naturally they took the opportunity to score a photo shoot and host it for the world to see. There aren't too many surprises to be found, but if you're looking for a pinch of KIRF, twin SIM slots, a 5 megapixel camera and the not-exactly-newest version of Google's mobile operating system, you know where to look.

Unread 2009-11-16, 10:33 PM   #222
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Adobe Flash 10.1 to require Android 2.0

We already know that Adobe Flash will not be making an appearance on the Android platform this year as we originally expected. At the time Flash 10.1 was delayed, Adobe said, “Android is taking longer because Adobe needs some programming interfaces that will be available with the Eclair release of Android, due later this year.” We speculated that an early version of Flash 10 might be included with Android 2.0, but obviously that didn’t happen.

Android visitors to the Adobe Flash Player site are now greeted with the following image

Unread 2009-11-17, 12:02 AM   #223
KUweatherman
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotuner20v View Post

thanks
Biggest thing is you'll be out $50 and waiting a few days for a replacement phone from insurance. Just make sure you back everything up before attempting to root. I'm currently using MyBackup and it seems to be doing the job well.

Think I'll take a crack at rooting my Hero this upcoming weekend.
Unread 2009-11-17, 04:54 AM   #224
KUweatherman
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

WTF Sprint?! I'm calling Customer Service tomorrow to see if they'll give me a credit. Just checked my receipt and it is dated 10/12/09 though so they'll probably tell me to go screw myself. A la first gen iPhone, kinda shitty for those of us that bought the phone when it first came out. I'll update you other Hero owners when I get word yay/ney.

http://gizmodo.com/5406313/sprints-h...ice-dip-to-100

Quote:
After the HTC Droid Eris, a rebadged Hero, debuted on Verizon for $100, Sprint's Hero couldn't well sit at $180 and expect to sell—and now Best Buy has stepped up, selling the Hero at $100 with contract

edit: After reading that again, this is for Best Buy. I'm tired of saving you guys that bought your Heros at Best Buy money! The phone is still listed for $179.99 on Sprint's site. I'll still call *2 and see though.

Last edited by KUweatherman; 2009-11-17 at 04:58 AM..
KUweatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2009-11-17, 09:50 AM   #225
turbotuner20v

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 22
Thanks (Received): 80
Likes (Given): 50
Likes (Received): 990
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUweatherman View Post
Biggest thing is you'll be out $50 and waiting a few days for a replacement phone from insurance. Just make sure you back everything up before attempting to root. I'm currently using MyBackup and it seems to be doing the job well.

Think I'll take a crack at rooting my Hero this upcoming weekend.
I'm kind of a noob w/ the phone stuff... bricking is permenant then? There's no hard reset/reboot/ect that you can do?

What would brick a Spint hero since they don't do over the air updates? Downloading bad '2.0' code? Plugging in to sync or something and getting an update? (seems unlikely since I thought you had to go to sprint's site and initiate it)

and this would be covered through insurance?

Assuming I buy when 2.0 is available on sprint, is there any benefit to 'rooting' and getting a different version of the OS?
turbotuner20v is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, cupcake, donut, eclair, froyo, galaxy, gingerbread, honeycomb, ice cream sandwhich, jelly bean, kit-kat, lollipop, marshmallow, nexus, nougat, oreo