Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Computers, Teh Interweb, Gaming, Electronics

Unread 2008-12-26, 10:23 AM   #201
Broke_Dreams

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 64
Thanks (Received): 118
Likes (Given): 253
Likes (Received): 441
Dislikes (Given): 58
Dislikes (Received): 21

I'm so lost on my ibook G4 with most things lol.

I need to know how crappy this thing is?

Its Version 10.3.9 I can't watch any videos and half my downloads fail
Unread 2008-12-26, 09:11 PM   #202
KC_Si

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 47
Thanks (Received): 89
Likes (Given): 458
Likes (Received): 501
Dislikes (Given): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cln95Coupe

Can I have it?
Unread 2008-12-27, 12:39 AM   #203
Broke_Dreams

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Si
Quote:

Can I have it?
Is it Crappy
Unread 2008-12-27, 08:41 PM   #204
KC_Si

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 47
Thanks (Received): 89
Likes (Given): 458
Likes (Received): 501
Dislikes (Given): 40

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Can I have it?
Is it Crappy
That doesn't answer my question. lol
Unread 2008-12-28, 12:49 PM   #205
Broke_Dreams

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Can I have it?
Is it Crappy
No I want to keep my lab top lol
Unread 2008-12-30, 03:22 AM   #206
Molon Labe

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 19
Thanks (Received): 39
Likes (Given): 185
Likes (Received): 169
Dislikes (Given): 13
Dislikes (Received): 12

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Can I have it?
Is it Crappy
No I want to keep my lab top lol
whats the model # of it.

cause you can put 10.4.11 on it, i have dvd's and im sure others do of the OS. also if its decent as in like 866mhz or faster, you can load up leopard.

im running a 1.67ghz Aluminum Powerbook g4 with 2gb ram, 95gb hard drive, Superdrive, big ass screen with all the shiz built in like bluetooth and stuff. all on 10.5.6 leopard.

it runs like a top.
Molon Labe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2008-12-30, 09:46 AM   #207
Timothy Leary
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 94
Thanks (Received): 240
Likes (Given): 177
Likes (Received): 1366
Dislikes (Given): 10
Dislikes (Received): 24

upgrade to tiger... fuck leopard. Download Perian and EasyWMV and you shouldnt have any more issues playing certain video files... Oh download VLC player to.

2017 Toyota 860 86
Timothy Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2008-12-30, 09:57 AM   #208
Bustin Dailey
Fanboi 4 lyfe

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 879
Thanks (Received): 106
Likes (Given): 1432
Likes (Received): 597
Dislikes (Given): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzaisushi
upgrade to tiger... fuck leopard. Download Perian and EasyWMV and you shouldnt have any more issues playing certain video files... Oh download VLC player to.

VLC and perian ...... LIFESAVERS

Offering great deals on over 600 new/pre-owned cars and trucks. WWW.WKCHEVY.COM
Bustin Dailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2008-12-30, 10:01 AM   #209
Timothy Leary
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

VLC should be the standard video player for EVERYTHING

2017 Toyota 860 86
Unread 2009-01-08, 02:04 PM   #210
JustinCredible

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 178
Thanks (Received): 96
Likes (Given): 919
Likes (Received): 340
Dislikes (Given): 18
Dislikes (Received): 4

Quote:
Apple's Jobs takes $1 salary, but holdings suffer

Apple CEO Jobs took $1 salary again in 2008, but Apple stock fall wipes out $500M in holdings

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- As he's done for the last decade, Apple Inc. Chief Executive Steve Jobs took home his customary $1 annual salary in 2008, but the economic meltdown and Apple's falling stock price whacked half a billion dollars off the value of his personal holdings in the company.

Apple said in a regulatory filing Wednesday that Jobs, 53, who holds 5.5 million shares of Apple's stock, hasn't sold any of the shares since rejoining the company in 1997. That means what he lacks in annual compensation is made up for in the enormous amount of stock he already holds -- a hoard that took a beating in 2008 amid fears about the Mac and iPhone maker's vulnerability to the U.S. recession.

Apple shares have lost more than half their value since the end of 2007, when they were trading at nearly $200 and Jobs' holdings were worth more than $1 billion. The stock finished Wednesday's trading session down $2.01, 2 percent, at $91.01, meaning Jobs' stake is worth around $500 million.

A big hit by any measure, the decline still barely dents Jobs' massive fortune, estimated by Forbes magazine earlier this year at $5.7 billion and ranking him 61st on the publication's list of the richest Americans.

Most of Jobs' wealth comes not from Apple but from the 138 million shares he owns of The Walt Disney Co., a 7.3 percent stake that makes him Disney's largest individual shareholder. Jobs scored the Disney stake through a brilliant deal in which he sold Pixar Animation Studios, a company he bought from George Lucas for $10 million in 1986, to Disney in a multibillion-dollar stock trade 20 years later.

Jobs' Disney holdings are now worth $3.2 billion, more than $1 billion less than the stock was worth last year.

Jobs has a similar relationship with Disney, where he serves on the board, as he does with Apple when it comes to pay. He doesn't take a salary for his work as a Disney director.

Apple's annual proxy filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission shows that its strategy is remarkably egalitarian when it comes to the CEO's compensation. The company doesn't reimburse Jobs for the perks that top executives usually get like home security systems or a chauffeur, but it did reward him in a big way in 1999 after he engineered an impressive turnaround at the company: Jobs' bonus that year was a $90 million Gulfstream V jet, whose operation Apple still helps pay for.

Apple said in the filing Wednesday that it reimbursed Jobs for $871,000 in expenses in 2008 for his use of the private plane on company business. In 2007, those costs were $776,000, and in 2006, it was $202,000.

Jobs' compensation hasn't been without controversy, however. The company was embroiled in a scandal two years ago over its mishandling of stock option awards, some of which went to Jobs.

At the height of the corporate "backdating" scandals that emerged in 2006, federal investigators began looking at Apple over possible criminal violations in the way the company handled its options, including an award of 7.5 million options given to Jobs in 2001.

Jobs never cashed out the options; they were canceled two years later while they were "underwater," or worthless, along with other outstanding options. Instead he was given millions of shares of restricted stock that make up nearly all of his current holdings.

Prosecutors closed the criminal investigation last year without filing charges, though two former executives -- former General Counsel Nancy Heinen and former Chief Financial Officer Fred Anderson -- were charged by the SEC over the so-called "backdating," or manipulating stock awards so they look like they were issued earlier than they were.

Apple eventually took an $84 million charge after it acknowledged it had backdated 6,428 grants between 1997 and 2002.

Jobs was in the news for another reason this week when he revealed before the Macworld trade show that a hormone imbalance has caused the weight loss that made him look gaunt at recent events. Jobs said he wanted to squash rumors that he is gravely ill.

Apple said Wednesday that its annual meeting is scheduled for Feb. 25 at the company's Cupertino headquarters.

The Associated Press calculations of total pay include executives' salary, bonus, incentives, perks, above-market returns on deferred compensation and the estimated value of stock options and awards granted during the year. The calculations don't include changes in the present value of pension benefits.

Because Jobs didn't get a bonus or any of those other forms of compensation in 2008, his total pay is the same as the $1 salary the company lists in the summary compensation table of the proxy statement filed with the SEC.
http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/090107/apple...tion.html?.v=8
JustinCredible is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2009-01-27, 11:25 AM   #211
JustinCredible

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Apple awarded iPhone patent

Tim Cook must have known.

One day before Apple’s acting CEO told Wall Street analysts that his company would not stand for having its intellectual property “ripped off” — a remark clearly aimed at certain iPhone-like features of the Palm Pre — the U.S. Patent Office awarded Apple Patent No. No. 7479949.

This 358-page document, originally filed on Sept. 5, 2007, is the mother of all iPhone patents. Signed by 21 Apple (AAPL) employees — starting with Jobs, Steven P. and Forestall, Scott — it covers everything from the way a finger or fingers touch the screen to the heuristics that turn those touches into commands.

Other smartphones introduced since the iPhone came out have avoided using the multi-touch technology covered by this patent. The Palm Pre may have crossed the line. See Apple vs. Palm: Geeks with grudges.

Patents in the United States are enforced through civil lawsuits in Federal court. The patent holder will typically ask for monetary compensation and an injunction prohibiting further violations.

In order to prove infringement, the patent owner must establish that the accused infringer practices all of the requirements of at least one of the claims of the patent. The accused infringer has the right to challenge the validity of that patent, something Palm has already suggested it plans to do.

“If faced with legal action,” a Palm spokesperson said last week, “we are confident that we have the tools necessary to defend ourselves.”

Palm (PALM) shares were down more than 10% in mid-morning trading.
http://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.com...iphone-patent/
Unread 2009-02-02, 01:00 PM   #212
JustinCredible

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Apple, AT&T slapped with yet another iPhone 3G lawsuit

Still one more class-action lawsuit is claiming that the iPhone not only fails to live up to 3G speeds, but that it also prematurely develops hairline cracks in its outer casing.

Texas residents Alyce R. Payne, William French, Karen Michaels, and Lorna Harris filed the lengthy 23-page complaint in an Eastern Texas court yesterday on their own behalf as well as all customers who are not satisfied with their iPhone 3G purchase, claiming that Apple has committed breaches of contract and warranty, violating Texas business and commerce codes, and other infractions.

The suit is the second to be filed this week (among many others over the past several months) claiming the iPhone 3G performs poorly when connected via 3G because it "demand(s) too much power from the 3G bandwidths."

The plaintiffs also blame AT&T's infrastructure and name the exclusive carrier of the Apple-built smartphone as a co-defendant, claiming AT&T's system can't cope with the "overwhelming 3G signal" of the sheer number of iPhones sold.

They cite an Associated Press article on tests by Swedish engineering weekly Ny Teknik that concluded some handsets aren't sensitive enough to 3G signals and boost their signals to compensate, creating the network conflict. Subsequent tests, however, showed no hardware issue and instead suggested it was a network congestion issue.

Unusually, the suit cites as proof of poor 3G performance the August 2008 ruling in the United Kingdom requiring Apple to stop advertising the iPhone's ability to access "all parts of the Internet." However, that ruling did not consider 3G speeds, dealing instead with the iPhone's lack of Java and Flash support. Nonetheless, the UK court's decision is cited as an example of the iPhone not functioning properly "on the 3G network."

A Wired blog post is also part of the plaintiffs' evidence, quoting AT&T spokesman Brad Mays as saying iPhones were "performing great" even at the height of reported slowdowns and connection drops.

However, besides these typical claims, the suit is rare in alleging faulty manufacturing of the exterior plastic case.

"The iPhones have had well-known and documented issues regarding the premature 'wear-and-tear' of the iPhones' housing," the complaint says, "including the formation of hairline cracks in the iPhones' casing."

Although these issues weren't an issue with the original iPhone, which came with an aluminum backing, the iPhone 3G comes with a black or white hard plastic back that, just after launch, had triggered multiple complaints of stress around key points of the handsets. According to the lawsuit, cracks form "around the camera, near the volume rocker," and in other areas reported by users.

The company is believed to have knowingly shipped phones with the flaw even after it became an apparent problem. The suit spends several pages reproducing anonymous comments from Apple's forums and various other websites to show when the complaints first surfaced.

"I should've stuck to my old iPhone, the one with the aluminum back that probably wont crack," an Engadget reader comments. "I've never doubted the build quality of Apple products before but now I'm beginning to question it heavily."

Moreover, hardware defects aren't the only problems mentioned in the complaint. The plaintiffs list a raft of problems caused by the iPhone 2.0 software update and the subsequent 2.1 update, which they claim did not fix the original problems of "crashes, 'bricked' handsets, slower applications, a lag in the virtual keyboard, internet connection issues, and spotty call reception."

And while Apple itself positioned iPhone 2.1 as a fix for these key problems, the individuals filing the suit point to reports where many of the problems either weren't immediately fixed or had even "gotten worse" after the update. iPhone 2.2 has since appeared.

One of AppleInsider's own August 2008 reports is also presented as evidence that Apple was aware it had released a tarnished product. A personal email to a customer from Apple chief executive Steve Jobs acknowledged a bug and that a fix was enroute.

The representatives in the class are demanding typical damages but, if victorious, would also require Apple and AT&T to give up any profits earned by way of "misleading" advertising and post a disclaimer on the iPhone's packaging as well as all advertising materials. They are suing for at least $5 million, the established threshold under legal statutes.
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...g_lawsuit.html
Unread 2009-02-02, 05:35 PM   #213
freekwonder
Guinness Master

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 42
Thanks (Received): 110
Likes (Given): 655
Likes (Received): 783
Dislikes (Given): 8
Dislikes (Received): 16

ah I'm having a brain fart, what is the short cut to add .com in safari/camino. I thought it was cmd+return but it isn't working.
freekwonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2009-02-02, 05:45 PM   #214
KUweatherman
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 402
Thanks (Received): 363
Likes (Given): 4962
Likes (Received): 2124
Dislikes (Given): 121
Dislikes (Received): 174

Quote:
Originally Posted by freekwonder
ah I'm having a brain fart, what is the short cut to add .com in safari/camino. I thought it was cmd+return but it isn't working.
I don't see a shortcut that does that in the list.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=42951
Unread 2009-02-02, 05:48 PM   #215
freekwonder
Guinness Master

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't find it today, but I found a shortcut list with it the other day. I beleive I use to do a short cut, but I haven't used my MBP in 6 months and I'm getting back use to it.
Unread 2009-02-02, 06:02 PM   #216
KUweatherman
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 402
Thanks (Received): 363
Likes (Given): 4962
Likes (Received): 2124
Dislikes (Given): 121
Dislikes (Received): 174

Quote:
I couldn't find it today, but I found a shortcut list with it the other day. I beleive I use to do a short cut, but I haven't used my MBP in 6 months and I'm getting back use to it.
Just did a google search and Safari itself doesn't support that action. Seems Internet Explorer and Firefox do though. Things I was seeing on the interweb was saying that it does it automatically in Safari? :shrug: I mainly use Omniweb and most of my clicking is either through Google or via bookmarks so I'm not overly familiar with the way Safari normally treats sites without the .com at the end.
Unread 2009-02-02, 06:07 PM   #217
freekwonder
Guinness Master

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUweatherman
Quote:
Just did a google search and Safari itself doesn't support that action. Seems Internet Explorer and Firefox do though. Things I was seeing on the interweb was saying that it does it automatically in Safari? :shrug: I mainly use Omniweb and most of my clicking is either through Google or via bookmarks so I'm not overly familiar with the way Safari normally treats sites without the .com at the end.
Cool thanks, I sorta remember safari autofinishing the website, but I couldn't remember with camino
Unread 2009-02-17, 05:10 PM   #218
kellyrx8
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 30
Thanks (Received): 99
Likes (Given): 698
Likes (Received): 448
Dislikes (Given): 7
Dislikes (Received): 3

kellyrx8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2009-02-18, 09:39 AM   #219
aznguyen316

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 17
Likes (Received): 50
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 0

ooh 10.6, mind if I ask how and what build? does it run well? I have a 2.0 MB 4GB DDR3 =) not quite up to yours
Unread 2009-02-18, 10:08 AM   #220
Timothy Leary
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

hows 10.6?
i downloaded the latest release but havent got around to installing it yet. im excited this new 10.6 when final wil be sooooooo streamlined

2017 Toyota 860 86
Unread 2009-02-18, 01:31 PM   #221
JustinCredible

Post Thanks / Like
Default Return of the $99 iPhone 3G

Quote:
Return of the (Refurbished) $99 iPhone 3G

AT&T is offering the 8GB iPhone 3G (black) for $99. The 16GB model is available in black or white for $199. That's a savings of $100 on both models.

As before, you have to sign up for a two-year contract, and you get a warranty of "at least 90 days"--which I suspect means 90 days. (AT&T's site doesn't seem to have any specifics on the warranty--anybody know the deets?).

Of course, the price tag of the phone itself isn't what stops most people--it's the monthly nut. The bare-minimum service and data plans will run you $70 per month (plus another few bucks in taxes and fees).
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13845_3-10...CmoreStories.0
Unread 2009-02-18, 01:33 PM   #222
JustinCredible

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Apple execs rethinking iPhone pricing strategy for 2009

While the likelihood of Apple releasing new iPhones this year is all but certain, a discussion between analysts and Apple's top brass has also dropped clues that the iPhone's pricing may not be static this year.

Toni Sacconaghi of Bernstein Research mentions in a research note that a discussion with Apple COO Tim Cook, CFO Petter Oppenheimer and worldwide marketing senior VP Phil Schiller point both to an upgrade to the touchscreen device as well as to the possibility of "different pricing/price points" this year, with Cook "examining iPhone's business model" for possible changes.

Cook and Schiller in particular have teased a "very exciting" 2009 for iPhones.

What these possible price changes would entail isn't divulged by the Apple executives, although Sacconaghi is quick to dampen rumors of an iPhone nano or a similar low-budget cellphone. Without naming any one of the executives as a source, he gathers from his investigations that the company isn't presently chasing such a concept.

Any future iPhone, he says, will probably have at least a web browser and access to the App Store, the latter of which has Cook, Oppenheimer and Schiller particularly "bullish" about the iPhone's success as it gives Apple an advantage over rival smartphone makers.

The firm's leaders are also adamant that iPhones won't come with hardware keyboards. A fixed set of keys reportedly makes it harder to implement different keyboards, such as for different languages, and would also make it harder for third-party developers hoping to use their own custom control schemes. Using the touchscreen as the primary input improves Apple's bottom line by letting it ship what's essentially the same phone across many different regions, the executives say.

No matter the changes to Apple's iPhone pricing structure, such a move wouldn't be uncharacteristic of the Cupertino, Calif. electronics giant. Each year of the iPhone's existence has had at least one major price shakeup: the iPhone's maximum price fell from $599 to $399 in 2007, while the iPhone 3G in 2008 not only reduced this top price to $299 but switched the behind-the-scenes profit model from revenue sharing with carriers to a heavy device subsidy.

But the Apple TV's position is considerably less optimistic, Sacconaghi warns. After his talk with the senior staffers, he understands that Apple views "lots of barriers" for the networkable media hub and doesn't see it as a current business cornerstone like it does iPhones, iPods and Macs.

Not to downplay the company's prospects, though, the Bernstein researcher says the management team is maintaining an "unwavering" level of belief in its guidance for the January-to-March quarter even as it has no intention of cutting prices; the upgraded plastic MacBook is selling well but is still being outsold by its more expensive aluminum cousins, according to the executives, who also see a lot of headroom in computer market share.

While Sacconaghi doesn't make many predictions, he repeats frequent expectations of an iPhone in summer and also believes Apple may update the iMac in March.
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._for_2009.html
Unread 2009-02-18, 02:21 PM   #223
aznguyen316

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 17
Likes (Received): 50
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellygtp
any pluses on getting 10.6 now? or not really necessary, mostly interested in graphics updates
Unread 2009-02-19, 10:40 AM   #224
kellyrx8
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 30
Thanks (Received): 99
Likes (Given): 698
Likes (Received): 448
Dislikes (Given): 7
Dislikes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznguyen316
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellygtp
any pluses on getting 10.6 now? or not really necessary, mostly interested in graphics updates
its pretty solid...I havent seen any bugs so far when playing around.
Gimme a few min and ill type up more of a review
kellyrx8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2009-02-19, 12:09 PM   #225
freekwonder
Guinness Master

Post Thanks / Like

So what is different about 10.6, I mean any real reason to go from 10.5 to 10.6. Shit I need to rebuild my wifes G4 and put leopard on it.

Here is a question for everybody, ever since my wife spilled water on her laptop the finder isn't working anymore, and I don't have the original software disc anymore. I need to boot up in the CD and run permissions and verify disc.