Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Computers, Teh Interweb, Gaming, Electronics

Unread 2016-09-12, 11:26 AM   #5101
psi_guy

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 21
Likes (Received): 22
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonecrusher View Post
what is EIP?
It's short for equipment installment plan. It's what you are paying monthly to lease (or own if you choose) your phone. I pay ~$31 a month for mine. Sometimes you can catch a promo to get a discounted monthly EIP, but you still have to qualify for it. Last year, T-Mobile offered a deal where if you traded in your iPhone 6 or 6 Plus, you only paid $10 per month on a 16gb 6s instead of $22. I was going to sign up for that, but I had to have the Plus, so it cost me more.
psi_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2016-09-27, 01:05 PM   #5102
psi_guy

Post Thanks / Like

My matte black 32gb iPhone 7 Plus was delivered last Friday, got my 16gb 6s Plus swapped out Sunday. Really digging the new phone so far. The bigger 32gb capacity alone was worth the upgrade. First thing I did was download all the apps I like to have but never had enough space for on my 6s Plus. Overall, the phone feels more snappy when apps load and cycling through different things. The phone is just as slippery as my last phone, so I opted for a new case Sunday with better grip. The new virtual home button is really nice. When you first set up your phone, it has you select one of three home button click settings. I opted for the default middle setting. I haven't tried out the new earbuds that have the lightning connector yet, but I'll get around to it sooner or later. I like that they give you not only the earbuds that are ready to utilize the lightning port, but also the dongle adapter. I could have seen Apple making you go buy the adapter separately, or bundling it with the charging dock just to fleece people more. Played some Halo: Spartan Assault last night. Colors are vibrant on the screen and the game plays great. Haven't messed with the newer camera either, I don't take a lot of pics, but I'm sure I will eventually.

Updated to 10.0.2 Sunday as well. Nothing of any noticeable significance for me changed.
Unread 2016-09-28, 10:29 PM   #5103
bonecrusher

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 40
Likes (Given): 84
Likes (Received): 347
Dislikes (Given): 8
Dislikes (Received): 19

Cell phone plan guru's step in and help me out.

Currently its just my wife and I with our plan through AT&T.

We have unlimited talk/text and 4 gb of data.
We currently have an iphone 6 (her) and an iphone 6+ (me).

We will be trading both of these in for iphone 7+ for each of us. (32 gig each)

I could care less about the unlimited talk (seems as though its auto included already).

I want unlimited text and at least 4 gb's of data or unlimited if it makes more sense.

Anybody have cost rundowns based on the main 4 carriers (AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, T-Mobile).
bonecrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2016-10-08, 08:59 PM   #5104
bonecrusher

Post Thanks / Like

just ordered an iphone 7 plus for myself and one for my wife.

estimated delivery is like middle of November...
Unread 2016-10-08, 09:49 PM   #5105
psi_guy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonecrusher View Post
just ordered an iphone 7 plus for myself and one for my wife.

estimated delivery is like middle of November...
which finish and capacity did you get?

bummer on the wait time, but it's worth it!
Unread 2016-10-09, 11:27 AM   #5106
bonecrusher

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by psi_guy View Post
which finish and capacity did you get?

bummer on the wait time, but it's worth it!
matte black on both and 32 gig on both.

I have had 16 gig on all my prior phones and usually always was fine.

doubling it should keep me sane for a while lol

going to be selling her iphone 6 16 gig soon and my 6 plus 16 gig as well.
Unread 2016-11-30, 11:37 AM   #5107
Username:*
More awesomer than you

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 54
Thanks (Received): 167
Likes (Given): 335
Likes (Received): 997
Dislikes (Given): 6
Dislikes (Received): 10

If anyone is wanting a 4th gen Apple TV, if you pre-pay for 3 months of DirecTV now at $35/mo you get an 4th gen 32gb Apple TV for free. Considering the price of it's normally $150, it's a pretty good deal.

DirecTV Now is DirecTV going after Sling and PS Vue. It's no contract internet TV. I already pay for internet TV so I just moved from PS Vue to DirecTV Now to get the essentially free Apple TV.

https://slickdeals.net/f/9462023-sta...x-extra-5-each

2017 Hyundai Elantra Sport 6mt
Username:* is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2016-12-16, 10:17 AM   #5108
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Is Apple Finally Building A Dual-SIM iPhone? Filings Suggest It's Possible

Chinese customers test the new iPhone 7 during the opening sale launch at an Apple store in Shanghai on September 16, 2016. (Photo credit: JOHANNES EISELE/AFP/Getty Images)

The ability to have two phone numbers associated with one phone is hugely popular in places like India and China. With dual-SIM cards, users can switch between a phone number for work and another for personal calls. Apple doesn't offer this capability, and that may be limiting its ability to grow in some countries.
But it looks like Apple may be considering making a special version of the upcoming iPhone with a dual SIM card option, according to recent patents filed in different countries.
Documents filed with China’s State Intellectual Property Office (screenshot in Chinese below) describe a dual-SIM card feature that would allow the iPhone to store two phone numbers. The application was submitted in March 2016 and published in September 2016, according to the filing. The inventor listed on the filing is Li Su, whose LinkedIn profile shows she is a principal architect for cellular software at Apple.

Apple's dual SIM card filing with China’s State Intellectual Property Office

Additionally, Apple was awarded a patent for dual SIM card technology in the United States earlier this week. Li Su is listed on the patent along with two other Apple wireless cellular engineers, Ming Hu and Guojie Dong.
"Some mobile devices have the capability of using multiple SIMs," reads the US patent, "allowing users to maintain different wireless services, such as for business and personal use."
Recommended by Forbes

A dual SIM card option would add some bulk to the hardware, but there has been growing interest lately around the technology for embedded SIM (or eSIM), which can be reprogrammed through software. Instead of a carrier providing the physical SIM card to get on their networks, the card can simply be reprogrammed to get on different networks through a software update. Apple began shipping an eSIM in its 9.7-inch iPad Pro this year.
But outside of China or India having a dual SIM option might not make a lot of sense. In the US, Western Europe, Japan, South Korea and Australia, Apple ties up closely with carriers to sell phones, said Canalys analyst Jessie Ding. "Dual-SIM card will jeopardize the mechanism that operators sell the locked iPhone with contract," said Ding.
Apple of course files technology patents all the time, and many never turn into technology that shows up in its products. This also isn’t the first time rumors of a dual-SIM card option in the iPhone have surfaced. Before the iPhone 7 launched, leaked pictures said to be of the upcoming phone showed support for two SIM cards, as well as a 3.5mm headphone jack. The actual iPhone 7 had neither.
But there is a growing need for Apple to address the large swath of consumers who are used to a dual-SIM card option. "If you look at the Indian or other markets, dual SIM is a huge thing," said tech analyst Jan Dawson. "Apple needs to offer dual SIM at some point to address people in those markets."
Apple is trying to reignite growth in China and other emerging markets around the world. In its most recent quarter, iPhone sales declined 30% year-over-year in China, where local phone makers Oppo and Vivo have taken the lead.
“As growth in the smartphone market has slowed,” said Dawson, “Apple needs to find ways to penetrate deeper into emerging markets. Any barriers, including people wanting dual SIMs, needs to come down one by one.”

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes PSNOUS liked this post
JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2016-12-22, 12:02 PM   #5109
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Nokia Corp (NOKIA.HE) said on Wednesday it had filed a number of lawsuits against Apple Inc (AAPL.O) for violating 32 technology patents, striking back at the iPhone maker's legal action targeting the one-time cellphone industry leader a day earlier.
Nokia's lawsuits, filed in courts in Dusseldorf, Mannheim and Munich, Germany, and the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas, cover patents for displays, user interfaces, software, antennas, chipsets and video coding.
"Since agreeing a license covering some patents from the Nokia Technologies portfolio in 2011, Apple has declined subsequent offers made by Nokia to license other of its patented inventions which are used by many of Apple's products," Nokia said in a statement.

Apple on Tuesday had taken legal action against Acacia Research Corp (ACTG.O) and Conversant Intellectual Property Management Inc [GEGGIM.UL], accusing them of colluding with Nokia to extract and extort exorbitant revenues unfairly from Apple.
"We’ve always been willing to pay a fair price to secure the rights of patents covering technology in our products," said Apple spokesman Josh Rosenstock. "Unfortunately, Nokia has refused to license their patents on a fair basis and is now using the tactics of a patent troll to attempt to extort money from Apple by applying a royalty rate to Apple’s own inventions they had nothing to do with."

Headquarters of Finnish telecommunication network company Nokia are pictured in Espoo, Finland August 4, 2016. Lehtikuva/Irene Stachon/via REUTERS

Acacia and Conversant did not immediately respond to requests for comment, and Nokia was not immediately available to comment on the Apple lawsuit.
The legal action by Nokia and Apple appear to mark a revival of the "smartphone patent wars" that began five years ago, when Apple filed a series of patent infringement cases against Samsung Electronics (005930.KS) around the world, with wins and losses on both sides.
Apple's lawsuit against Acacia, Conversant and Nokia was filed only one day after Ottawa-based Conversant named Boris Teksler as its new chief executive. He had worked as Apple's director of patent licensing and strategy from 2009 to 2013, the latter half of his tenure overlapping with the lawsuits against Samsung.
Acacia is a publicly traded patent licensing firm based in Newport Beach, California. One of its subsidiaries sued Apple for patent infringement and was awarded $22 million by a Texas jury in September.
Similarly, Conversant, which claims to own thousands of patents, announced last week that a Silicon Valley jury had awarded one of its units a $7.3 million settlement in an infringement case against Apple involving two smartphone patents.
Nokia, once the world's dominant cellphone maker, missed out on the transition to smartphones triggered by Apple's introduction of the iPhone in 2007.

The Finnish company sold its handset business to Microsoft Corp (MSFT.O) two years ago, leaving it with its telecom network equipment business and a bulging portfolio of mobile equipment patents.
But this year, Microsoft sold its Nokia-feature phone business to a new company called HMD Global.
Nokia agreed to a 10-year licensing deal with HMD, which continues to market low-cost Nokia phones and plans to introduce new Nokia smartphone models next year.
(Additional reporting by Supantha Mukherjee in Bengaluru and Stephen Nellis in San Francisco; Editing by Jonathan Oatis and Lisa Shumaker)

Unread 2016-12-22, 12:15 PM   #5110
ReidStylez
Yahh Trick Yahh!

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 98
Likes (Given): 41
Likes (Received): 929
Dislikes (Given): 11
Dislikes (Received): 25

Just ordered my iPhone 7 at work to upgrade my iPhone 6. Was trying to get the iPhone 7 Plus even had my Senior Director approve it, however, Cox Automotive denied it saying they had a VP request one and it was denied. Oh well iPhone 7 it is.
Unread 2017-01-01, 01:20 PM   #5111
PSNOUS

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 53
Thanks (Received): 72
Likes (Given): 469
Likes (Received): 281
Dislikes (Received): 2

Got the 7 when they came out replacing my 5. So this is my first experience with the finger print scanner. No major issues except for the scanner not working sometimes. Well the other day I was charging it and backing up via iTunes and later that day I noticed the scanner wasn't working. Got to thinking about it and I think whenever I'm synced to iTunes doing a back up, charging, etc..... the scanner quits working. Is this a known issue? Any fixes?
00 ZX-12- gone
Coming soon - Focus RS
PSNOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-01-01, 07:27 PM   #5112
Mobbes

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 47
Thanks (Received): 79
Likes (Given): 161
Likes (Received): 357
Dislikes (Given): 2
Dislikes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReidStylez View Post
Just ordered my iPhone 7 at work to upgrade my iPhone 6. Was trying to get the iPhone 7 Plus even had my Senior Director approve it, however, Cox Automotive denied it saying they had a VP request one and it was denied. Oh well iPhone 7 it is.
I had to pull teeth to get the 6+ so I am not surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar
New aids is still aids.
Mobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-01-03, 09:06 AM   #5113
ReidStylez
Yahh Trick Yahh!

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 98
Likes (Given): 41
Likes (Received): 929
Dislikes (Given): 11
Dislikes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobbes View Post
I had to pull teeth to get the 6+ so I am not surprised.
They didn't even give me the option of a 6+. Either way, if they had, I would have elected for the 7.

I figured with my Sr Directors approval I'd at least be able to get a 7+ but apparently they just aren't giving those out anymore. Oh well, I like the 7 and to be honest, the 7+ would have most likely been too big for my pocket comfort wiise.
Unread 2017-04-13, 11:18 AM   #5114
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Leaked schematics supposedly show Apple’s iPhone 8 design

A purported iPhone 8 schematic found its way online, and the leak seems to offer some of the same iPhone 8 design details we expect. However, there are some major differences compared to previous rumors, especially concerning the Touch ID fingerprint sensor and the rear camera.

Posted online on Chinese microblogging site Weibo, the schematic below reportedly comes from Foxconn.
As you can see, the schematic suggests the screen will take up most of the front side of the handset. But the home button complete with the Touch ID fingerprint sensor is located on the back, which isn’t in line with what most rumors have claimed so far. A research report from one analyst earlier this week did say that Apple is facing manufacturing issues with a Touch ID sensor embedded in the display, so one solution to fix that problem would be to move the sensor to the back of the handset.
Image Source: Weibo
The rear camera has two lenses, just as expected. But they’re positioned vertically along the left side of the phone, rather than horizontally like the iPhone 7 Plus. It looks… terrible. Measurements for the phone are also included in this hopefully-fake leak. The iPhone 8 will seemingly be 149mm tall, 72.5mm wide and 7.1mm thin. For comparison, the 4.7-inch iPhone 7 measures 138 x 67.1 x 7.1 mm.
If the leak really does show an iPhone 8 design from Apple, it might not be the final choice for the company. 9to5Mac explains that we’re looking at an EVT 03 design, which is short for Engineering Validation Test third revision. EVT represents an early stage of a product’s design, and the device must still pass through a Device Validation Test and Production Validation Test before it’s finalized.
This iPhone 8 prototype may be one of the many ideas Apple is toying with, and a version that will may help the company deal with a scenario in which it won’t be able to come up with a viable Touch ID sensor for the screen in time for the iPhone 8’s launch.
What’s interesting about the schematic is that it tells the same story that a leak from a few weeks ago offered, when it comes to rear camera shape and Touch ID sensor location. At the time we questioned that rumor, as it seemed to contradict basically every iPhone 8 report coming from trustworthy sources with proven track records.

Unread 2017-04-19, 04:14 PM   #5115
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Mobile

These leaked iPhone 8 schematics are a travesty if they’re real

After three straight years with the same iPhone design, Apple is expected to finally shake things up a bit in 2017. In fact, the company may be shaking things up more than usual. In years past, “S” updates feature (almost) the exact same design as their predecessors. This year, however, the iPhone 7s and iPhone 7s Plus are rumored to switch to a new design that features a glass back to facilitate wireless charging.
Then, of course, we have the iPhone 8, which is expected to be a bold reimagining of Apple’s iPhone design. Reports suggest that we can expect a sleek new “full-screen” design that does away with the home button and shrinks the bezels all the way around the new OLED display. But a new leak on Wednesday shows a troubling design detail that would be an absolute travesty if the leak is genuine.
Don't Miss The best thing about Samsung’s new Galaxy S8, aside from the design
We published our Galaxy S8 review on Tuesday morning, and we absolutely adore Samsung’s new smartphone design. It’s simply stunning, there’s no doubt about it. The build quality of the phone is outstanding, the performance is impressive, and the design is the best the world has ever seen. But the design isn’t perfect, and there’s one issue that really annoyed us.
The back of a smartphone is the worst possible place for a fingerprint scanner, and we explained why in our review. In a nutshell, it’s simply not natural.
If you keep your phone in your pocket, your thumb is naturally positioned where the home button is as you slide your handset out of your pocket. Even if you typically carry your phone elsewhere, you’re always looking at the front of the device when you pick it up, so the fingerprint scanner should be on the front. If it’s on the back, you’re left feeling around the phone in an attempt to unlock it. Samsung compounded matters by placing the scanner off-center and far too high up the back of the phone, but anywhere on the back is bad news.
That brings us to today’s new leak…

The above schematic was posted on Twitter on Wednesday by Sonny Dickson. Dickson has a mixed track record and he neglects to link the source that first posted the image, but the schematics appear to be taken from a Foxconn factory where the new iPhone 8 will be produced. If they’re the real deal, we’re not happy at all.
Apple has been working for years on technology that would allow the company to embed its Touch ID fingerprint scanner beneath the display of an iPhone. The iPhone 8 has been rumored to be the first model that will actually feature the next-gen sensor. But more recent rumors have suggested that Apple is running into manufacturing issues that would prevent it from coming anywhere close to meeting demand if it does indeed opt for an embedded Touch ID sensor.
Some reports have said that Apple is sticking with its guns, and it will embed the sensor in the screen. As a result, the iPhone 8 might not launch until sometime in October or even November. Other reports have claimed that Apple is scrapping the idea though, and it will instead move its fingerprint reader to the back of the iPhone 8. This would be awful, if true, and the schematic above pours more fuel on that fire — an opening for a rear-mounted fingerprint scanner can clearly be seen beneath the Apple logo.
It’s quite possible that this new schematic is fake, or that this is one of several designs Apple is toying with. Sadly, it’s also possible that this is the real deal, and that Apple plans to take a huge step backward with the iPhone 8 because it doesn’t want to wait another year before ditching the physical home button and shrinking those massive bezels.

Unread 2017-05-22, 01:00 PM   #5116
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

iPhone 8’s brand new design shown off again in new photos

We still have about four months to go before Apple finally unveils its next-generation iPhone lineup in September. Of course if history has taught us anything, we’ll know practically everything there is to know about Apple’s new iPhones long before the company’s big announcement event comes along. Months of consistent leaks and rumors led up to BGR’s big exclusive last week, where we published photos of a mockup believed by sources to depict Apple’s final iPhone 8 design. Now, new photos of a similar mockup have appeared from a different source, providing possible further reinforcement that this is indeed what Apple’s hotly anticipated new iPhone 8 will look like when it launches later this year.

There are some characteristics of Apple’s upcoming next-generation flagship iPhone that are still open to debate. For example, the rumor mill still seems unsure if the iPhone 8 will feature a new Touch ID fingerprint scanner that’s embedded in the display, or if it’ll be shifted to the back of the phone instead. We certainly hope the former is the case, because the latter would be awful.
Of course, there’s plenty of info out there that everyone seems to agree on, such as the vertical dual-lens rear camera, the glass back for wireless charging, and the stainless steel midframe with polished edges that will continue the lines of the curved 2.5D glass around the perimeter of the phone. Now, all of those characteristics can be seen again in newly leaked photos showing an iPhone 8 mockup that matches the one we posted last week. The new photos were shared on Chinese microblogging site Weibo, and you can see them below.

Apple’s iPhone 8 isn’t expected to be unveiled until September, of course, but we’ll undoubtedly learn plenty more about the phone between now and then.

Unread 2017-05-24, 11:56 AM   #5117
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Two new sets of images claiming to show the upcoming design of the so-called iPhone 8 due out later this year have shown up in Chinese social media today. Both show the edge-to-edge display and vertical dual camera design as seen in previous schematics and dummy units, and the latest images show how the iPhone 8 could look in various colors…

The top image seen above appears to show the Touch ID finger print sensor located on the rear side of the iPhone just under the Apple logo. Reports and predictions so far have not settled on whether or not Apple will be able to mass produce new iPhones with Touch ID integrated into the front display.
Moving the finger print sensor to the back side as seen on several Android handsets has been suggested based on various schematic leaks and analyst predictions.
The new images seen above and below appeared on Weibo today and could be inaccurate depictions of how the iPhone 8 will look when it ships, especially if Touch ID is integrated in the front display. Other details to note include the lack of glass on the rear side when analysts predict the next generation iPhone will feature a glass front and back in part to accommodate wireless charging. These images appear to show the same jet black glossy finish on the black version while the white version includes silver and gold aluminum casing like the iPhone 6 through 7.
The front display also doesn’t appear to offer the expanded camera setup expected to ship on the iPhone 8 later this year, although these could be indicators of the design in an early stage. Back in April, schematics leaked claiming to show one version of the iPhone 8 design with a similar look as these units.

Separately, another image shared (via mobilexpose.com) shows what may simply be fan-made renders based on rumored specs, but in four colors including black, silver, white, and gold. Conspicuously missing is the popular rose gold finish and the layout of the image looks similar to recent iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus promotional material. At any rate, you can see this image (without rear Touch ID) below:

You can read all the latest iPhone 8 rumors and expectations on our guide for all the latest.

Unread 2017-06-05, 02:13 PM   #5118
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

d Guide

Apple’s big developer conference, WWDC, is usually not the place for hardware updates, but as Tim Cook said at the beginning of WWDC 2017, “This is the biggest WWDC ever.” To that end Apple announced upgrades to nearly every single product in its computer line up, and thoroughly fucked over every single person who bought a MacBook Pro back in November.

Things started off nicely enough. Apple announced an update to the iMac, with discrete AMD graphics cards coming to every 4K iMac that are powerful enough to let you enjoy the HTC Vive VR headset. There were also additional Thunderbolt 3 ports and a processor improvement: The newest iMacs will run Kaby Lake.
If you’ve heard Kaby Lake discussed in relation to Apple, it’s because Apple has skipped Kaby Lake in the past. Notoriously when Apple refreshed its laptop line last year, for the first time in two years, it skipped out on Kaby Lake.

Now it’s updated every single laptop and desktop to Kaby Lake. This is a huge improvement for iMacs and the MacBook, but it’s deeply deeply annoying for those of us who bought the newly redesigned MacBook Pro back in November. Particularly as these new Kaby Lake machines are cheaper as well.
The only bright side, for early adopters, is that Kaby Lake mobile processors aren’t always that much faster than Skylake processors—something Gizmodo learned when pitting the Skylake Macbook Pro against Kaby Lake machines from Razer and Dell.
While these kind of processor refreshes are very common with other computer makers, Apple has always been very slow to embrace processor updates. In fact, it’s long been part of the “Apple Tax” (alongside the higher price Apple computers demand). So, from an early adopter who hoped she had at least a year before you refreshed and made her device obsolete—goddammit!
Sent from my 2016 MacBook Pro.

Unread 2017-07-10, 11:42 AM   #5119
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

New iPhone Leak Reveals Apple's Brave Design Decision

“Maybe the next one?” It’s a line tech upgraders often say when a new smartphone release doesn’t fulfil all their wishes. But new information suggests it might actually be better to skip Apple AAPL +0.99%’s 2017 iPhones altogether…
Asian media giant Nikkei has revealed Apple will upgrade all its iPhones to OLED displays in 2018 compared to just one, extremely expensive new premium model in 2017.

Citing “two industry sources”, Nikkei’s Debby Wu says Apple’s plans to launch an OLED iPhone 8 and two LCD-based and incrementally upgraded iPhone 7S and iPhone 7S Plus models will get significantly more ambitious next year and demand is likely to lead to shortages across OLED manufacturing worldwide. Wu also says Apple will again launch three new iPhones in 2018.

So why would/should you hold off for OLED in 2017?
Obviously if you can afford the sky high pricing of the OLED iPhone 8 in 2017 then you won’t need to. But if budget is a concern and you are pushed to the LCD iPhone 7S and iPhone 7S Plus then it is worth bearing in mind OLED not only delivers dramatically better image quality than LCD, but it is also much more power efficient.

Consequently in 2018 even the famously undercooked battery in the 4.7-inch iPhone, might finally get the battery life bump users have deserved (and demanded) for years.
Interestingly a universal move to OLED will also enrich Apple’s biggest rival. Samsung will supply the majority of OLED displays in future iPhones and such investment is likely to allow the company to further improve its own iPhone-rivalling Galaxy S and Galaxy Note ranges.

With a supersized Galaxy Note 8 launching at around the same time as the new 2017 iPhones (despite talk of delays), it will be interesting to see how these two historic rivals act as their existing partnership (Samsung already provides multiple hardware components for iPhones) becomes even deeper.
Furthermore, with Tim Cook previously admitting hype about next generation iPhones hurts current generation iPhone sales, news of this leak about OLED 2018 models is likely to have Apple’s top brass looking nervously over their shoulders.

Unread 2017-07-20, 03:25 PM   #5120
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Exclusive images reveal what Apple’s iPhone 8 looks like powered on

With Apple’s iPhone 8 release quickly approaching, rumors and leaks have somehow hit an entirely new gear. It’s difficult to imagine that leaks could possible hit the web any quicker than they have been for the past couple of months, but it’s true. With Apple’s next-generation iPhone 8 and iPhone 7s phones now likely in production, all the remaining mysteries seem to be vanishing with each passing day. There are still a few questions left to be answered, and we can think of four in particular. First, will the iPhone 8 release really be delayed? Second, will the iPhone 8 include a Touch ID fingerprint scanner embedded in the display? Third, will Apple’s new iPhone 8 truly cost more than $1,000. And finally, what will the iPhone 8 look like when it’s powered on.
The bad news is that we’re going to have to wait a while longer to answer those first three questions. But the good news is we’ve got your answer to the fourth question right here.

Just yesterday, we showed you several renders of Apple’s upcoming iPhone 8 that were created by third-party smartphone case maker Nodus. We also shared an animation of the iPhone 8 that showed Apple’s upcoming new flagship iPhone from every angle. Now, Nodus has created a new set of renders and the case maker has shared them exclusively with BGR.

The renders show the same familiar iPhone 8 design we’ve leak over and over again, but it’s a 3D model so it gives us a better idea of what the handset will look like in real life. What’s more, these new renders show the phone with the display powered on.

On the bright side, the overall design still looks positively stunning. Apple fans have had to make do with the same iPhone design for the past three consecutive years, so this fresh new design will undoubtedly be a welcome change. Sadly though, at least on this particular render, the display cutout at the top of the screen isn’t set up like we’ve been suggesting, so there’s a big chunk taken out of the top of the graphics shown at the top of the display.
It looks awful, and we sincerely hope the iPhone 8 doesn’t ship like this. Here’s how Apple can fix it.
Apple’s next-generation flagship iPhone 8 is expected to be unveiling this coming September alongside the iPhone 7s and iPhone 7s Plus (though none of these new phones will likely have those names, as we’ve discussed). Unfortunately, rumors suggest the phone might not be released at the same time as the iPhone 7s and iPhone 7s Plus, or if it is, it will be in extremely short supply. In the meantime, here are a few more renders from Nodus:

Unread 2017-07-20, 04:33 PM   #5121
Scooby24
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 49
Thanks (Received): 689
Likes (Given): 341
Likes (Received): 3959
Dislikes (Given): 27
Dislikes (Received): 40

It's probably just the lighting but that looks very..not Apple. Looks like the whole phone is made out of a bumper case.
Unread 2017-07-31, 11:49 AM   #5122
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Leaked photos show the iPhone 8 of our nightmares, and it better be fake

Apple has been known from time to time to make some curious design decisions. A perfect example is the current-generation Magic Mouse, which finally added a rechargeable battery but includes a charging port on the bottom of the device. Why is that a curious design decision? Most rechargeable mice have charging ports on the front so that they can actually be used while charging. With the port on the bottom, the Magic Mouse is absolutely useless while it’s being recharged.
When it comes to the iPhone lineup, however, Apple has consistently released best-in-class designs. In fact, the company’s current iPhone design is now three years old and yet it’s still among the most attractive phones in the world, and it’s still being copied by rivals. With the iPhone 8, Apple is expected to unveil a bold new design that is sleeker and more refined than anything we’ve seen before. That should be true, as long as the finished result looks absolutely nothing like the “iPhone 8” photos that leaked over the weekend.

In a bizarre turn of event, Apple accidentally confirmed the iPhone 8’s design on Friday evening when the company accidentally included imagery and key details in a firmware file for its upcoming HomePod speaker. It was a huge gaffe, but it didn’t really tell us anything we don’t already know. Of course it’s still significant since it comes from the horse’s mouth.
The imagery included in the HomePod’s firmware was merely a sketch of the iPhone 8’s face, showing the basic layout of the front side of the phone and confirming the notch cut out of the top of the display where the sensors are. It doesn’t show us what the actual iPhone 8 will look like in real life, though we’ve had a pretty good idea since back in May when BGR confirmed the iPhone 8’s final design. Now, new images claim to show an iPhone 8 prototype in the wild, but they appear to be fake. And they had better be fake, because the device pictured here is absolutely hideous.

Posted to Weibo by a user whose name has been machine translated to “Han Han dignified,” the images show an abomination with a white back, polished silver edges, a white bezel on the front, and a black display. If we had time to fly to China to kill this grotesque beast with fire, we would.
Here are a few more shots from a subsequent post:

There has been a bit of debate regarding how Apple might approach the iPhone 8 when it comes to colors. As we opined back in mid-June, the cutout at the top of the iPhone 8’s display would make it impossible for Apple to release a well-designed iPhone with a white face. Instead, the face would have to be black and the areas on either side of the cut-out would be reserved only for status bar info. A recent report indeed suggested that Apple will indeed only release iPhone 8 models with front sides that are black, so the monstrosity above is almost certainly fake.
Apple is expected to unveil the iPhone 8 in September alongside the iPhone 7s and iPhone 7s Plus, so any remaining questions will be answered soon enough.

Unread 2017-08-01, 11:50 AM   #5123
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Apple accidentally leaked iPhone 8 all-screen design and infrared 'Face ID'

HomePod firmware backs up iPhone 8 rumors

iPhone 8 leaks have become so popular that even Apple appears to be getting in on the action, seemingly confirming two previously rumored features.
First, all of those iPhone 8 bezel-less display concepts out there appear to be on point. An icon within code for the new HomePod speaker firmware has been found by iOS app developers Steve Troughton-Smith and Guilherme Rambo.
It shows the expanded, edge-to-edge screen – thought to be a 5.8-inch AMOLED display – with no top bezel and no home bottom whatsoever. This is how Apple is expected to make the screen bigger and make the phone smaller than the iPhone 7 Plus.
It's a mystery as how Apple will secure the iPhone 8 given the missing traditional Touch ID fingerprint sensor. Which leads to the next discovery.
Goodbye, Touch ID?

Today's second leak from the early HomePod software seems to confirm that 3D facing-scanning technology is indeed coming to the iPhone 8.
Developer Troughton-Smith says he came across code indicates an infrared face unlock, and it belongs to something new called 'BiometricKit.'
3D face unlock is one way to bypass your iPhone lockscreen and use Apple Pay, but will it be replacement or will Apple also include TouchID under the screen?
We'll have to wait until the iPhone 8 launch date, which we still suspect will be in September. Unless, of course, Apple leaks more of its own surprises first.

Unread 2017-09-09, 02:51 PM   #5124
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Apple Just Leaked iOS 11 and Looks Like We're Getting an 'iPhone X'

Surprise! The Golden Master build of iOS 11 leaked online Friday night, with users spreading links to the software on Reddit. It’s full of details about the upcoming line of products being teased for the company’s September 12th event, including that Apple appears poised to skip releasing a 7S line entirely and move…

Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks PSNOUS thanked for this post
Unread 2017-09-12, 01:14 PM   #5125
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

The New Apple Watch Is Basically Also a Smartphone

All images: Screenshot
It might look the same, but the latest smartwatch from Apple sounds like it will be a lot more powerful. Today, at an event held in the brand new Steve Jobs Theater on the soon-to-open Apple Campus, Jeff Williams, Chief Operating Officer at Apple, showed off the Apple Watch Series 3, which features a new processor that should make it faster and more power-efficient, as well as, more crucially, cellular connectivity.

The latter is considered a major boon, as with cellular support the new Apple Watch will not need a phone in order to pull off crucial smartwatch tasks like texts, voice calls, and weather forecasts. The new connectivity should also allow the Series 3 to do things like allow wearers to chuck the phone and navigate via Apple Maps, listen to music on one’s wireless headphones, or even order takeout.

Most smartwatches with cellular support are huge thanks to the need to pack in antennas and other necessary components, but the Series 3 will be the same size as the Series 2. That’s accomplished by doing cool things like making the whole display the antenna.

LTE has previously been excluded from Apple wearables to conserve battery. The theory goes that the little antenna constantly pinging a cell tower would greatly drain a device that already has only 24-48 hours of solid use.

Besides cellular support, the Series 3 has a new processor with a claimed 70-percent improvement in speed. It also includes the new W2 wireless chip. Apple introduced the W1 last year in its EarPods and other headphones from Beats, and it was a huge improvement over the standard Bluetooth chips used in other devices. The W2 might double down on those advances.
Additionally, Apple has also introduced a new gray color in ceramic, and a bunch of new bands.

The new Series 3 will retail for $399 with cellular and $329, the much slower Series 1 will be $249. Last year’s Series 2 appears to have been retired. The new watches go on sale September 22nd and will be available for retail September 15th.

And Apple is going to need a cool factor if it hopes to fend off Fitbit, which is launching its own smartwatch, the Ionic, next month. While that watch won’t have LTE it will have nearly a week of battery life.

Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks PSNOUS thanked for this post