Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Computers, Teh Interweb, Gaming, Electronics

Unread 2013-09-10, 11:53 AM   #3876
redlobster

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 41
Likes (Given): 39
Likes (Received): 319
Dislikes (Given): 8
Dislikes (Received): 29

What these bitches gonna announce besides the Iphone 5S?
redlobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-09-10, 11:56 AM   #3877
KUweatherman
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 402
Thanks (Received): 363
Likes (Given): 4967
Likes (Received): 2124
Dislikes (Given): 121
Dislikes (Received): 174

iPhone 5C. iOS 7. Maybe an update on Mavericks.
Unread 2013-09-10, 12:19 PM   #3878
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

Ars and the verge are at the event live blogging it. Giz wont ever have anything, they have been banned since buying that iphone 4.

So far nothing new. IOS7, iRadio, etc.
Unread 2013-09-10, 12:29 PM   #3879
KUweatherman
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

I still love the look of the white 5C. At $99, I'm tempted.
Unread 2013-09-10, 12:32 PM   #3880
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUweatherman View Post
"Unapologetically plastic." Some of the hard core nerds are really going to have to do some dancing in their heads to figure out how to continue to argue that plastic = cheap when talking about competitors.

Also, why are they spending as much time talking about the rubber sleeve as they did about the phone?
Unread 2013-09-10, 12:33 PM   #3881
KUweatherman
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Stewart View Post
"Unapologetically plastic." Some of the hard core nerds are really going to have to do some dancing in their heads to figure out how to continue to argue that plastic = cheap when talking about competitors.
Personally, I don't have anything against plastic phones. My only beef is with how cheap the Samsung phones feel.
Unread 2013-09-10, 12:34 PM   #3882
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Personally, I don't have anything against plastic phones. My only beef is with how cheap the Samsung phones feel.
The problem is the plastic iphones will as well. Its just the nature of plastic. It was the case with the plastic "unibody" macbooks as well. I wont lie, I personally prefer the framed glass of my N4. It gives the phone more of a rigid feel than the plastic.
Ryan Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-09-10, 12:35 PM   #3883
95PreludeSE

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 33
Thanks (Received): 65
Likes (Given): 100
Likes (Received): 327
Dislikes (Received): 5

Quote:
It does look nice, but I like having something made of metal. My experience with plastic phones is from all the crap cheap Samsungs I've had.

So all the iWorks/iLife stuff is free when setting up a new device? But not on existing devices?
95PreludeSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-09-10, 12:39 PM   #3884
95PreludeSE

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 33
Thanks (Received): 65
Likes (Given): 100
Likes (Received): 327
Dislikes (Received): 5

And a 64-bit chip? In 1st gen, I really don't think they will be able to take advantage of it... Hell even on PC there is still a lot of 32-bit software. Not going to make much of a difference to the end-user at all.
95PreludeSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-09-10, 12:40 PM   #3885
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

Damn, they are really throwing the numbers out. That usually isn't their thing to talk about every single spec available.

Moving up to current 3D specs.
Unread 2013-09-10, 12:48 PM   #3886
KUweatherman
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

If there is one thing I miss about the iPhone, it is the camera. The Nexus 4 simply can not match iPhone photos.
Unread 2013-09-10, 12:51 PM   #3887
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

The flash is unqiue, the rest is similar to HTCs setup.

Yeah I really wish HTC would make the next Nexus. Their software is a PITA but their hardware is excellent.
Unread 2013-09-10, 01:12 PM   #3888
KUweatherman
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

No Mavericks. Just the 5C, 5S and iOS 7.

edit: iOS 7 out on the 18th. GM should be out soon though for us antsy folks (day or so).

Last edited by KUweatherman; 2013-09-10 at 01:16 PM..
KUweatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-09-10, 01:16 PM   #3889
Pasty T-Bag

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 171
Thanks (Received): 53
Likes (Given): 437
Likes (Received): 326
Dislikes (Given): 22
Dislikes (Received): 4

the touch ID is kinda neat, as long as its not laggy and doesnt take long to open your phone

-2007 Chevy Trailblazer SS AWD-
-2007 Chevy Trailblazer LT-
-2015 Yamaha FZ-07-
6+
Pasty T-Bag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-09-10, 01:21 PM   #3890
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah verdict is out on how well it actually works. Others have tried fingerprint scanners before but nothing was ever ready for primetime.

About it being siloed, good luck with that. Anything can be hacked.
Unread 2013-09-10, 01:26 PM   #3891
ReidStylez
Yahh Trick Yahh!

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 98
Likes (Given): 41
Likes (Received): 929
Dislikes (Given): 11
Dislikes (Received): 25

Quote:
Yeah verdict is out on how well it actually works.
People have already been using the iPhone 5S?
Unread 2013-09-10, 01:27 PM   #3892
ReidStylez
Yahh Trick Yahh!

Post Thanks / Like

Just got back from lunch. I was unable to watch the live blog for any of this. I've got some catching up to do.
Unread 2013-09-10, 01:28 PM   #3893
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReidStylez View Post
People have already been using the iPhone 5S?
What? I was making a statement that we don't know how well it actually works.

Although I am sure people have been using the iphone 5S, just not commoners.
Unread 2013-09-10, 01:30 PM   #3894
ReidStylez
Yahh Trick Yahh!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
What? I was making a statement that we don't know how well it actually works.

Although I am sure people have been using the iphone 5S, just not commoners.
My bad. I totally read that on the fly and for some reason my brain read it as in you were trying to say others have tried this before and it didn't work great.
Unread 2013-09-10, 01:31 PM   #3895
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

iPhone 5C official: Apple reinvents cases to make them look stupider

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not an Apple hater. I think they’re a great company with some great products. But I also unapologetically love Android and sometimes, the competitive nature between the two companies gets the better of me.
In Apple’s event today, the company offered a snarky Android-related comment while announcing their brand new iPhone 5C (the iPhone 5S was also announced):
“Arsenic-free, mercury-free, and Android-free.”
That’s cool. It’s funny. But what’s also simultaneously funny is Apple’s announcement of kiddie looking polka dot cases for the iPhone 5C costing $29.

(Photo credit: The Verge)
For the sake of brevity, let me quickly list why I don’t like Apple’s new cases:
  1. They’re ugly and goofy looking. And that’s being polite.
  2. There are an outrageous amount of 3rd parties making covers and cases already… that look better than this. Maybe leave this up to them?
  3. The Motorola Moto X does it better.
If Apple were to allow users to customize the cutout shapes or at least offer a wide variety of cutout designs, the cases might actually be cool. Until then, I’ll stand on the sidelines laughing.
To Apple’s credit, I think the iPhone 5C is a logical progression of the device and it should be hugely popular. The unibody rear/sides look really, really nice, and I’d say resemble the Nokia Lumia hardware design more than most Android phones. Stake me now, but I think that’s a good thing for the market they’re targeting.
Follow the rest of the Apple Event at iSource.com and Phandroid, iSource, and WinSource will host a live hangout discussing the announcements afterwards on Google+

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-09-10, 01:32 PM   #3896
duttbart
askmehowIknow,bro!

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 31
Thanks (Received): 169
Likes (Given): 222
Likes (Received): 1348
Dislikes (Given): 6
Dislikes (Received): 18

was just on phone with AT&T this morning changing my plan from 900 minutes to unlimited. they were nice enough to grandfather in my unlimited data and confirmed i'm eligible for a new phone.
duttbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-09-10, 01:38 PM   #3897
Rob

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 170
Thanks (Received): 149
Likes (Given): 827
Likes (Received): 848
Dislikes (Given): 12
Dislikes (Received): 23

I'm taking pre-orders for the new line of iPhones with Verizon. Message me if you want on the list!
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-09-10, 02:19 PM   #3898
ReidStylez
Yahh Trick Yahh!

Post Thanks / Like

This is the only negative thing about having a work phone and using it as a personal phone as well.

I only upgrade when they give me an upgrade which will probably be a while.
Unread 2013-09-10, 03:52 PM   #3899
CosmosM3

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 27
Thanks (Received): 46
Likes (Given): 179
Likes (Received): 216
Dislikes (Given): 5
Dislikes (Received): 6

Another boring presentation, presenting details of a phone everyone had already seen, that was just another boring evolution of the previous phone. No surprises, nothing amazing…

The 4S will soldier on for another year...
Unread 2013-09-10, 06:30 PM   #3900
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

The new iPhones: One part Samsung, two parts Motorola and a dash of HTC

Apple unveiled their new line of iPhones today, and there were absolutely no surprises. Both the iPhone 5S and 5C each have their own merits and new features. But many of those features seemed all too familiar to us Android users. Did Apple source all their inspiration from other companies?
Before I begin, I’d like to mention that “sourcing inspiration from others” isn’t necessarily a bad thing. It’s actually common practice; companies take ideas from each other and improve upon them, hopefully creating awesome new ones in the process. But was Apple’s unveiling today purely based on what has been done many times before?
Let’s start with the new “budget” iPhone, the iPhone 5C. It’s not so budget in reality with a $549 price tag off-contract, but it has some new design choices. The design departs from traditional Apple aesthetics in favor of a glossy plastic back. Now, I won’t insult Apple for using plastics. I myself have defended plastics for a long time and will continue to do so. Plastic has a lot of merits, including durability (something the aluminum iPhones don’t have). However, this is probably the biggest thing Apple fans hate on Samsung for.
Yes, Samsung is known worldwide as the biggest user (abuser?) of plastics. All of their phones are glossy plastic, and many say it feels cheap even when it’s sturdy. I agree it doesn’t quite feel premium. But now that an iPhone is plastic and Apple is proud of it, what will people say about Samsung? Will those same Apple fans denounce the 5C? Doubtful. But the plastic, especially with the high gloss, is definitely reminiscent of the very company they’ve been suing for ages.
And what about the new iPhone 5S camera? Apple kept it at 8 megapixels, claiming that bigger pixels will equate to better photos. This is true, to an extent. Bigger pixels absorb more light, giving you lower shutter speeds and better low light performance. Do you know how I know that? HTC of course.
A huge selling point of the HTC One is the Ultrapixel camera. It’s a 4 megapixel sensor with big individual pixels, sacrificing resolution for better low light performance. The iPhone 5S camera may have bigger pixels than its predecessor at 1.5 microns, but the HTC One took it further, with a sensor that has massive 2 micron pixels. Apple tried to play HTC’s game, but to a lesser extent. Knowing Apple, it will end up being an amazing camera.
Then there’s the new M7 co-processor Apple announced. This chip is basically its own processor dedicated to movement tracking. It uses GPS, the gyroscope and the accelerometer to know what you’re doing with the device. Whether you’re walking, driving or sleeping, it will perform certain actions without a massive drain on battery by reducing the load on the CPU.
That’s a huge selling point of the new Motorola devices, namely the Moto X and the new DROID line. They all use the X8 chip, which has eight cores. Two are custom processors that serve specific purposes. There is a contextual processor and a language processor. Like the Apple M7, they stay on and collect data in a low power state to provide extra functions (like waking the device with your speech). It’s eerily similar, is it not?
You can even say that Apple gained inspiration from the old Motorola Atrix smartphone, which also had a fingerprint scanner. Apple’s implementation is awesome, hiding the scanner under the home button without an ugly sensor on the body. But it’s still something that the Android world has experienced, so it’s nothing “new” or exciting.
All of these new features and designs are good for Apple. There is nothing wrong with any of these decisions, even if they draw inspiration from other places. Again, it’s more than acceptable to do so and I won’t look down on Apple for it. But it’s interesting to see Apple gaining inspiration from everyone else, because it was a whole different situation years ago.
Before, Apple was the one with big innovations. Did it invent the smartphone, the touch screen or any of the basic functions of the iPhone? No, but it implemented them in a truly innovative fashion. Everyone drew inspiration from it, be it Samsung, HTC or even Google (and Android). In fact, Apple sued Samsung for drawing a little too much inspiration from their products. Now things are a bit different, aren’t they? Do you think Apple is done innovating or do you think they have some big things ahead?

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes kellyrx8 liked this post
JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote