Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Computers, Teh Interweb, Gaming, Electronics

Unread 2012-06-18, 12:11 AM   #2626
Timothy Leary
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 94
Thanks (Received): 240
Likes (Given): 177
Likes (Received): 1366
Dislikes (Given): 10
Dislikes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUweatherman View Post
Got to thinking about this over the weekend. It's not as silly as I thought. Whenever I put my phone in my pocket, it's upside down...that way when I take it out I'm holding it correctly.
exactly! i love it.

2017 Toyota 860 86
Timothy Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2012-06-20, 03:42 PM   #2627
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Leaked ‘iPhone 5′ case designs show device that’s just 7.6 mm thick

Could the next-generation iPhone be both thinner and longer than previous models? The good folks over at Mobile Fun in the U.K. got their hands on some purported leaked “iPhone 5″ case diagrams showing that the new iPhone will be just 7.6 millimeters thick. Mobile Fun say that they can’t confirm that the documents are real but also say that they spoke with a manufacturer who said they were accurate and that the diagrams “measure up to what we’ve heard before.” If the case diagrams are accurate, then the new iPhone will not only be 7.6 millimeters thick but 123.83 millimeters tall and 58.57 millimeters wide. In contrast, the iPhone 4S comes in at 9.3 millimeters thick, 115.2 millimeters tall and 58.6 millimeters wide. Mobile Fun also reports that the dock connector will be much smaller on the new iPhone and will be roughly the size of a micro USB port, which aligns with earlier reports.

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2012-06-20, 03:51 PM   #2628
Squeaky192

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 260
Thanks (Received): 177
Likes (Given): 2785
Likes (Received): 1318
Dislikes (Given): 141
Dislikes (Received): 64

Didn't somewhere in Europe set the standard that all phones had to run Micro USB?

1998 Volvo V70 - I can't get away from them.
1971 Camaro Z28 RS - "Barn Find" -LS/4L80/Strange 9" Restomod Beater
2012 Triumph Speed Triple R - Trouble Maker
Squeaky192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2012-06-20, 03:52 PM   #2629
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky192 View Post
Didn't somewhere in Europe set the standard that all phones had to run Micro USB?
2-3 years ago that happened

Unread 2012-06-20, 03:56 PM   #2630
KUweatherman
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 402
Thanks (Received): 363
Likes (Given): 4967
Likes (Received): 2124
Dislikes (Given): 121
Dislikes (Received): 174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky192 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLM View Post
2-3 years ago that happened
And Apple got around it by offering an adapter.
Unread 2012-06-21, 08:30 PM   #2631
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Confirmed: The New iPhone Will Have A 19-Pin “Mini” Connector

Although the form factor and actual size are still unknown, TechCrunch has independently verified that Apple is working on adding a 19-pin port, replacing the current 30-pin port, to the new iPhone. It is a move that will surely send shocks through the iPhone accessory ecosystem.
The new port, partially shown in this Mobilefun post as well as in this video, is similar in size to the Thunderbolt port available on many MacBook devices but I’ve been told by three independent manufacturers that the pin-out will be different.
Apple’s 30-pin ports have been the standard since Apple released the third generation iPod. The connectors offered structural stability when connecting to most accessories but it’s clear – especially with the introduction of the MagSafe 2 port – Apple is more concerned with space savings inside each device.
Three independent manufacturers all agreed that the 19-pin dock port is in the works and many accessory manufacturers are facing an uneasy few months as they wait for official news of the standard to be announced.

Unread 2012-07-01, 04:12 AM   #2632
KUweatherman
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone else switched over to Chrome on iOS for their main browser? I did like the way Safari handled bookmarks better with being an icon on the bottom, but its one extra click to get to them on Chrome. So nothing major; all the other pros outweigh any cons.

Being on a Mac, Ive used Safari forever but now with using Chrome for iOS I'm trying to use Chrome on the computer more too. Two of the big things I liked about Safari was my facebook photo zoom extension and the 'max window size' shortcut thanks to Glims. Found a way to do both of those on Chrome so I'm set.

Any other good extensions I'm missing out on?
Unread 2012-07-01, 05:58 AM   #2633
Timothy Leary
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUweatherman View Post
Has anyone else switched over to Chrome on iOS for their main browser? I did like the way Safari handled bookmarks better with being an icon on the bottom, but its one extra click to get to them on Chrome. So nothing major; all the other pros outweigh any cons.

Being on a Mac, Ive used Safari forever but now with using Chrome for iOS I'm trying to use Chrome on the computer more too. Two of the big things I liked about Safari was my facebook photo zoom extension and the 'max window size' shortcut thanks to Glims. Found a way to do both of those on Chrome so I'm set.

Any other good extensions I'm missing out on?
I hopped on the iOS chrome train... its a damn nice browser but i still prefer safari on ios/mac over chrome. If i need to use flash though i use chrome on osx.

2017 Toyota 860 86
Unread 2012-07-01, 08:17 AM   #2634
Mike V

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 40
Thanks (Received): 80
Likes (Given): 412
Likes (Received): 401
Dislikes (Given): 2
Dislikes (Received): 10

I've been using Chrome for a few months. I like how it puts your doc on the bottom of browser after downloading.
Mike V is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2012-07-02, 11:05 AM   #2635
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Apple escapes iPad trademark suit with $60 million settlement

Though Apple insisted it was in the right, the Cupertino, California-based company has agreed to pay $60 million to settle a trademark dispute in China. Proview International filed multiple lawsuits earlier this year seeking to ban sales of Apple’s iPad tablet. The struggling company claimed that Apple had not properly secured licenses to use the “iPad” name, which had been trademarked by Proview long before the tablet was introduced in 2010. Apple insisted that an agreement had been reached in 2009, but now the company has agreed to settle the case in China for $60 million, the Associated Press reports. “The iPad dispute resolution is ended,” the Guangdong High People’s Court said in a statement issued on Monday. “Apple Inc. has transferred $60 million to the account of the Guangdong High Court as requested in the mediation letter.”
Read

Unread 2012-07-05, 10:08 AM   #2636
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Would Apple iGlass Be Better Than Google’s Glasses?

Apple just got awarded a new patent that may become the wearable version of the iPad one day: eyeglasses that would display apps, video, images, and overlay information on the world around you in realtime—something like Schwarzenegger's vision in Terminator.

Or, you know, be just as stupid as Google's Project Glass, only prettier.
Like Google's thingamajig, Apple's eyeglasses would—in theory—project all this information directly into the user's eyes using LCD projectors.
But unlike Sergey Brin's pet project, Apple's iGlass would not have the projector in front of your eyes. The projectors would be located on the side of the eyeglasses, looking into the glass, not the user's eyes.
Apple's patent describes a method in which the image travels through a special glass to land directly into the user's pupils. This, in theory, will provide with an illusion of total immersion.
Also unlike Google's Project Glass, the theoretical iGlass would use two heads up displays, not just one. Apple's patent says the dual projectors would provide with that total immersive experience which, in addition, would avoid motion-sickness because it would use stereoscopic projection.
The patent claims this method will also enable the specs to greatly fill the user's field of view and increase the quality of the image.
But as cool as this may sound, a product like this would suffer from the same problem as Project Glass: it will require users to change their habits and wear something on their heads. People will really need to get an actual benefit out of them, beyond the novelty of taking photos and video. Or just seeing Yelp ratings on top of restaurants and storefronts.
The fact is that we don't need to see Yelp ratings at all times, or take photos and video at all times, or see the world through a computer. That's why we have smartphones that can be easily used and put away.
But maybe Apple's method can at least make these useless face-invaders look better. Perhaps people will feel less like douchebags wearing glasses that don't have weird attachments that make you look like a character from the original Star Trek series.
For now, however, Apple just has a patent. At least Google has some hardware, even if it's just beta-quality, ultra-expensive and only does a tiny fraction of all the magical things the company initially told us it would do. [USPTO via TNW via Redmond Pie]

Unread 2012-07-05, 10:19 AM   #2637
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

Blatant copy!

/troll
Unread 2012-07-05, 11:19 AM   #2638
ReidStylez
Yahh Trick Yahh!

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 98
Likes (Given): 41
Likes (Received): 929
Dislikes (Given): 11
Dislikes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Stewart View Post
Blatant copy!

/troll
Apple had the idea in 1975.
Unread 2012-07-05, 01:45 PM   #2639
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Apple sued in China for patent infringement involving Siri [Video]

We don’t normally report what’s going on in the world of Apple, but since they have been a thorn in everyone’s side with patent lawsuits, we though you might find this interesting. Apple has been sued in China, but not by Samsung, Motorola, HTC, or another Android manufacturer. Zhizhen Network Technology is the culprit and they say that Apple’s Siri voice assistant infringes on their Xiaoi voice assistant.
The patent in question is ZL200410053749.9 and it relates to a “type of instant messaging chat bot system,” which happens to be called Xiaoi Bot. The Xiaoi patent was applied for by Zhizhen back in 2004 and was granted in 2006. What really has Zhizhen ticked off the most is the way Apple marketed Siri on their Chinese website. They said, “It (siri) can understand what you say and what you’re asking for, and it can find the answer that you are looking for on the web”. It’s no longer on the website.

The interesting thing is Apple was just awarded an injunction on the Galaxy Nexus because of an infringement involving a unified search patent, also known as Apple’s Siri patent. It should also be noted that Apple bought Siri in 2010 so they weren’t the creators of it.
I’ve never been a fan of any of these patent lawsuits as I think it’s ridiculous that you can even patent software-related things or how hardware looks. So I agree that this is yet another ridiculous case even though Apple is the victim. On the other hand, it isn’t so bad seeing Apple get a taste of their own medicine. It will be interesting to see how strong of a case Zhizhen has and if it could spell trouble for Siri in general. Hit the break to see the video of Xiaoi Bot in action as it does look very familar.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly.

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZyD8-T-C0I

Unread 2012-07-09, 11:27 PM   #2640
Timothy Leary
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Mountain lion GM is out.

2017 Toyota 860 86
Unread 2012-07-11, 02:36 PM   #2641
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Exclusive: iPhone 5 Engineering Sample Photos Direct from China
Exclusive photos of an iPhone 5 engineering sample straight from a factory in China show the new phone will be slightly taller, slightly thinner and about the same width.
A trusted source inside the Apple supply chain sent images of the metal iPhone 5 design sample. The metal block shows the size of the iPhone 5, where the antenna and ports will be be and other design aspects.
The iPhone 5 is the first significant iPhone redesign since the iPhone 4 was introduced in June 2010. It will likely debut alongside iOS 6 this fall.
iPhone 5 Design

The new iPhone 5 will follow the iPhone 4S’ general design language. Its display will be larger thanks to the taller dimensions and smaller bezel, but Apple is not following Android manufacturers’ lead and producing a jumbo iPhone. The iPhone 5 will still be dwarfed by the Galaxy SIII and other flagship Android phones.
Front of iPhone 5 engineering sample.

The rear-facing camera remains on the top-left of the back of the phone. The camera lens cutout appears to be about the same size as the iPhone 4S’. There is a rear-facing microphone placed between the camera and flash. The microphone will be utilized for video recording and noise reduction to improve call quality.
Apple’s iPhone 5 has been rumored to be coming with a metal back. While the engineering sample doesn’t provide any conclusive evidence of the iPhone 5’s backing, it does show that there could be two materials on the back of the iPhone 5.
The middle part could possibly be made of metal, possibly even Liquidmetal, while the top and bottom of the device could feature glass, plastic, or something else entirely.
Read: New iPad Mini Engineering Sample Photos
iPhone 5 Dimensions

The images show the iPhone 5 that’s taller than the iPhone 4S, with the same width.
iPhone 5 engineering sample back.

The iPhone 5 is just over 120mm tall, whereas the iPhone 4S is 115.2mm tall. The added height will allow for the taller screen we’ve previously heard of.
The width of the engineering sample is about the same 58.6mm width of the iPhone 4S, which proves that Apple is working with a taller, but not wider screen.
iPhone 5 Display

The iPhone 5 engineering sample doesn’t include indications for a display, but the overall size of the engineering sample is consistent with the leaked iPhone 5 front panel.
This part may be the iPhone 5 front panel.

MyDrivers claims this iPhone 5 front panel shows a 4-inch edge-to-edge display without drastically increasing the overall size of the iPhone 5.
iPhone 5 Antenna Design

Based on this engineering sample, the iPhone 5 looks like it will maintain the re-designed antenna layout from the iPhone 4S.
The back of the iPhone 5 engineering sample shows separation for the metal back, but these lines may also play a role in an advanced antenna design.
Apple redesigned the antenna after antennagate marred the launch of the iPhone 4 and the iPhone executive in charge left Apple.
iPhone 5 Battery Concerns

The iPhone 5 engineering sample doesn’t deliver a good look at the thickness of the next generation iPhone, which could spell trouble for battery life.
Current 4G LTE smartphones struggle to last a full day, save phones like the Droid RAZR MAXX.
Apple may count on better power management of Qualcomm 4G LTE chips and iOS 6 enhancements.
Apple normally nails battery life on mobile devices, so iPhone 5 engineers could use thinner components, like a thinner camera sensor and a thinner in-cell touch display, to make room for a larger battery without making the iPhone 5 thicker.

Unread 2012-07-12, 06:46 AM   #2642
KUweatherman
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone else finding Safari to be slow as balls on the Mountain Lion GM? Sometimes pages load quickly, but the majority of time I'll click a link, the progress bar moves a little, sits there for 5-10 seconds then loads the page. Its annoying.

edit: Example of what I'm talking about.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly.

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFLFIbwRNWQ

Last edited by KUweatherman; 2012-07-12 at 07:01 AM..
KUweatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2012-07-13, 10:59 AM   #2643
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

New iPad mini details: Nexus 7′s worst nightmare is as thin as an iPod touch

Newly leaked schematics and case renderings reveal a variety of purported details about Apple’s widely rumored “iPad mini” tablet, a device that is likely to take the wind out of the Nexus 7′s sails if it does indeed launch later this year at the rumored $249 price point. With early production of Apple’s smaller slate already under way according to reports, leaks continue to surface on numerous sites. In this latest round, Think iOS claims to have received third-party case renderings and schematics for the iPad mini from case maker FullHull.

According to the report, Apple’s iPad mini will be 7.87 inches tall and 5.3 inches wide, a significantly smaller footprint that the current-generation iPad model, which measures 9.5 inches by 7.31 inches. And while the third-generation iPad is 9.3 millimeters thick, the iPad mini will supposedly feature a design that is a remarkable 7.4 millimeters thin. For comparison, the iPod touch measures 7.3 millimeters thick.
There is a major discrepancy that casts doubt over Think iOS’s report, however: the website’s source claims that the iPad mini display will measure 7 inches diagonally. Numerous earlier reports suggest that the tablet will feature a 7.85-inch display, including one report from The Wall Street Journal that claimed the new iPad mini’s screen will measure roughly 8 inches diagonally.
The iPad mini is expected to launch this fall for between $249 and $299.

Unread 2012-07-16, 09:35 AM   #2644
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Here comes the next iPhone: Leaked photos reveal new details as production kicks off

New images of the next-generation iPhone’s face plate reveal a previously unknown design change as production of the new Apple smartphone reportedly kicks off. Apple blog Apple.Pro on Sunday published new images of what it claims to be the front plate from Apple’s upcoming “iPhone 5,” as it calls the device. The images show a taller design that aligns well with rumors of a new 4-inch display, and it appears as though the device’s front-facing camera has been moved from the left side of the ear speaker to above the speaker at the center of the phone. Just one day earlier, Japanese blog Macotakara cited unnamed sources in reporting that mass production of the “iPhone 5″ had begun. The site had previously reported that third-generation iPad production began in January of this year, suggesting that Apple’s next iPhone could launch some time in September if the two devices require similar lead time.

Unread 2012-07-16, 02:16 PM   #2645
KUweatherman
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Not directed at you, Jason, but that's not new. The centered FaceTime camera has been known for awhile.
Unread 2012-07-16, 08:02 PM   #2646
FOACAD
الكافر المشرف

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 570
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 3830
Dislikes (Given): 27
Dislikes (Received): 148

Curious what version of iphone will be out around summer of next year. Do they usually have a new iphone ever year?

I like my 4s a lot but come next year ill be coming back to the states and my 4s most likely wont work (honestly not sure about this)

Anything on Tmo getting an iphone finally?
FOACAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2012-07-16, 08:04 PM   #2647
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOACAD View Post
Curious what version of iphone will be out around summer of next year. Do they usually have a new iphone ever year?

I like my 4s a lot but come next year ill be coming back to the states and my 4s most likely wont work (honestly not sure about this)

Anything on Tmo getting an iphone finally?
Probably the 5 (or a 5s) like they did w/ the 4 it's really hard to tell this far out.

Tmo: They are still playing coy about it (but they are opening up their network for more Iphones)

Unread 2012-07-16, 08:08 PM   #2648
FOACAD
الكافر المشرف

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 570
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 3830
Dislikes (Given): 27
Dislikes (Received): 148

5s on Tmo would make me happy.

That is, unless they follow the trend of capping internet usage with ridiculous tiered pricing scales.

The 5gb tier on ATT and Verizon is fucking absurd.
FOACAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2012-07-16, 09:14 PM   #2649
ReidStylez
Yahh Trick Yahh!

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 98
Likes (Given): 41
Likes (Received): 929
Dislikes (Given): 11
Dislikes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOACAD View Post
5s on Tmo would make me happy.

That is, unless they follow the trend of capping internet usage with ridiculous tiered pricing scales.

The 5gb tier on ATT and Verizon is fucking absurd.
It's hard to say. I bet if tmobile had more data usage like AT&T and Verizon thy would go away from unlimited.

AT&T and Verizon are both 2gb from what I remember. I don't know of anything in the 5gb for AT&T.
Unread 2012-07-16, 09:20 PM   #2650
KUweatherman
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReidStylez View Post
It's hard to say. I bet if tmobile had more data usage like AT&T and Verizon thy would go away from unlimited.

AT&T and Verizon are both 2gb from what I remember. I don't know of anything in the 5gb for AT&T.
AT&T has 3GB and 5GB plans.