Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Computers, Teh Interweb, Gaming, Electronics

Unread 2015-08-11, 09:38 AM   #176
Ryan D
Custom User Title

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 30
Thanks (Received): 175
Likes (Given): 91
Likes (Received): 1288
Dislikes (Given): 28
Dislikes (Received): 212

My biggest problem seems to be with my usb 3.0 card as my wifi adapter keeps dropping connection. Not sure that is a 10 problem though.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Ryan D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2015-08-11, 02:14 PM   #177
Scooby24
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 49
Thanks (Received): 689
Likes (Given): 342
Likes (Received): 3959
Dislikes (Given): 27
Dislikes (Received): 40

Probably drivers...lots of driver issues when a new OS rolls out. I still don't have 10 drivers for my xonar dgx sound card.
Unread 2015-08-11, 02:41 PM   #178
MountainDew

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 282
Thanks (Received): 170
Likes (Given): 387
Likes (Received): 803
Dislikes (Given): 344
Dislikes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby24 View Post
Probably drivers...lots of driver issues when a new OS rolls out. I still don't have 10 drivers for my xonar dgx sound card.
HT Omega released 10 drivers for my sound card. However when I upgraded, it still used the 8.1 driver and it works fine so I didn't even bother updating.
MountainDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2015-08-14, 01:12 PM   #179
newguy99

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 23
Likes (Received): 14
Dislikes (Given): 3
Dislikes (Received): 0

Quote:
In our previous articles, we raised concern about Windows 10 privacy issues, including its controversial Wi-Fi Sense feature. Also, to cope up with these issues, I provided you a one-click solution to fix all privacy compromising features that allow Microsoft to track users.
But unfortunately, all those efforts got wasted because Microsoft still tracks you, even after you harden your Windows 10 privacy to an extreme level by disabling all privacy-infringing settings.
This time the culprits are – Cortana and Bing search.
Windows 10 features, including Cortana and Bing search, continue communicating with Microsoft's servers and sending it data, even after you turned the features off.
A Technical Analysis done by Ars showed that even when you tell Microsoft to not to make any Internet-related inquiries by changing various privacy settings, it appears that Windows 10 still communicate with the software giant's servers for different information.
Cortana is Cheating on You
With Cortana and searching the Web from the Start menu turned off, a request to www.bing.com is still made for a file called threshold.appcache that contains some Cortana information, whenever a user opens Start and start typing.
The operating system's voice assistant Cortana sends information containing user's identifying computer ID that persists across reboots. This allows Microsoft to distinguish between the Cortana requests from different computers.
The worrisome part is that Cortana sends this data even though she is disabled.
Windows 10 Sends your Data via Unencrypted Channel
Moreover, it also appears that Microsoft keeps on sending data to its servers via its Live Tiles in the Start menu. Even if users clear all the Tiles, Windows 10 re-install new tile info from Microsoft.
However, Windows 10 do so using unencrypted HTTP connections, potentially leaving users open to malicious actors who could intercept the traffic between users and the company, which is more troublesome.
In response to the latest report, Microsoft said that all communications between a Windows 10 machine and Microsoft are only to make the retrieval of updates easier.
"As part of delivering Windows 10 as a service, updates may be offered to provide ongoing new features to Bing searches, such as new visual layouts, styles and search code," Microsoft said.
Microsoft further added that "no query or search usage data" is sent to the company, in accordance with the user’s selected privacy settings, and the same applied to searching offline for apps, files and settings on the device.
Found at http://thehackernews.com/2015/08/win...cy-spying.html
newguy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2015-08-14, 01:16 PM   #180
offensive
No I am NOT a girl.

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 21
Likes (Received): 1756
Dislikes (Given): 18
Dislikes (Received): 50

http://lifehacker.com/im-a-privacy-a...d-g-1723611163
Unread 2015-08-14, 11:41 PM   #181
SlowTA

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 34
Thanks (Received): 43
Likes (Given): 121
Likes (Received): 132
Dislikes (Given): 2
Dislikes (Received): 9

Finally restored my laptop to 7 so I could upgrade back 10 and get activated. Now that it's done I am actually pretty happy I did it. For some reason the computer runs smoother and quieter and cooler than it did with the first install of 10. Plus the power management works properly when I open and close the screen. Before it would sort of hibernate but you could still hear the fan running and it would never actually shut the computer "off". Now it works exactly as it should.
Unread 2015-08-16, 05:11 PM   #182
offensive
No I am NOT a girl.

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 21
Likes (Received): 1756
Dislikes (Given): 18
Dislikes (Received): 50

I've never seen as many problems with a FRESH INSTALL on any other OS in my life.

From what I'm seeing, fresh installs have lots of problems and upgrades are working great.
Unread 2015-08-17, 07:39 AM   #183
shaun y
Mr 49er

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 164
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Given): 3414
Likes (Received): 1009
Dislikes (Given): 187
Dislikes (Received): 144

I finally got my computer's waking up from sleep problem figured out with five minutes of work (I think) by setting maintenance to take place at 3pm instead of 2am. Now if I could just figure out my fucking nvidia problem.

Every couple of days I'll wake my computer up and it only registers one monitor. Right click on desktop and Nvidia control panel is gone. When I looked in the device manager at my graphics card, it says it won't work until a restart. When I restart it, everything is back to normal. I wish I could figure out what is causing this.
Unread 2015-08-17, 07:51 AM   #184
kellyrx8
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 100
Likes (Given): 702
Likes (Received): 450
Dislikes (Given): 7
Dislikes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun y View Post
I finally got my computer's waking up from sleep problem figured out with five minutes of work (I think) by setting maintenance to take place at 3pm instead of 2am. Now if I could just figure out my fucking nvidia problem.

Every couple of days I'll wake my computer up and it only registers one monitor. Right click on desktop and Nvidia control panel is gone. When I looked in the device manager at my graphics card, it says it won't work until a restart. When I restart it, everything is back to normal. I wish I could figure out what is causing this.
you install the driver from friday/saturday? custom/complete reinstall?
kellyrx8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2015-08-17, 08:33 AM   #185
shaun y
Mr 49er

Post Thanks / Like

I installed the one from Saturday, but it crashed to desktop every time I was watching a video in chrome (it was also having the issue mentioned above). I used DDU in safe mode to start over from scratch and rolled back to 353.30 because I remember that one working great; it does the same thing.

I think it might have something to do with Windows Update and the integrated graphics or something like that? IDK
Unread 2015-08-17, 09:07 AM   #186
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Will Microsoft block Windows 10 users from playing counterfeit games?

Microsoft's new unified services agreement includes language that has some worrying Microsoft may scan their Windows 10 devices for pirated software and block its use.

As part of its "One Windows" push, Microsoft introduced new unified services and privacy agreements, effective August 1.

And ever since their introduction, these supposedly simpler and more transparent agreements have come under fire by a number of users worried about Microsoft's intentions.The most recently discovered clause in Microsoft's new unified services agreement -- which now covers Microsoft consumer services ranging from Xbox Live, to Bing, Cortana, Office 365 Home and Personal, OneDrive, Outlook and more -- that's got some up in arms involves Microsoft's ability to block users from playing counterfeit games or using unauthorized peripherals.
The new services agreement states:
"We may automatically check your version of the software and download software updates or configuration changes, including those that prevent you from accessing the Services, playing counterfeit games, or using unauthorized hardware peripheral devices."
But as The Verge's Tom Warren notes, this language is a carry-over from what Microsoft already has been doing with Xbox, by issuing Xbox software updates that block peripherals and pirated games.
From the Xbox Live terms of use page:
"We may, among other things: (i) restrict or limit access to the Services; (ii) retrieve information from the Authorized Device and any connected peripheral device used to log onto the Services as necessary to operate and protect the security of the Services, and to enforce this Agreement; and (iii) upgrade, modify, withdraw, suspend, or discontinue any functionality or feature of the Services, or any hardware or software associated with the Services or with an Authorized Device, from time to time without notice. We may do so by the automatic download of related software directly to your Authorized Device, including software that prevents you from accessing the Services, playing pirated games, or using unauthorized hardware peripheral devices."
Because Microsoft is moving toward building more and more of its products -- including the Xbox One operating system -- around the Windows 10 Core, it makes sense to have more of a unified services policy for those products and services that work across them.
What we don't know is whether "One Windows" and one service agreement means Microsoft will start doing what it has already done with Xbox, namely download software updates that will block users from playing pirated games or using unauthorized peripherals on Windows 10 PCs, tablets and phones, especially given the fact that Microsoft is enabling game streaming between Xbox One and Windows 10.
By unifying the language of its service agreement to cover all of its services, rather than to call out specific case-by-case instances, Microsoft has opened the door for such behavior. Will the company actually go so far as to start blocking Windows 10 users from running pirated games and unauthorized peripherals? I guess we'll find out....

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2015-08-17, 11:31 AM   #187
kellyrx8
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 100
Likes (Given): 702
Likes (Received): 450
Dislikes (Given): 7
Dislikes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLM View Post
Will Microsoft block Windows 10 users from playing counterfeit games?

Microsoft's new unified services agreement includes language that has some worrying Microsoft may scan their Windows 10 devices for pirated software and block its use.

As part of its "One Windows" push, Microsoft introduced new unified services and privacy agreements, effective August 1.

And ever since their introduction, these supposedly simpler and more transparent agreements have come under fire by a number of users worried about Microsoft's intentions.The most recently discovered clause in Microsoft's new unified services agreement -- which now covers Microsoft consumer services ranging from Xbox Live, to Bing, Cortana, Office 365 Home and Personal, OneDrive, Outlook and more -- that's got some up in arms involves Microsoft's ability to block users from playing counterfeit games or using unauthorized peripherals.
The new services agreement states:
"We may automatically check your version of the software and download software updates or configuration changes, including those that prevent you from accessing the Services, playing counterfeit games, or using unauthorized hardware peripheral devices."
But as The Verge's Tom Warren notes, this language is a carry-over from what Microsoft already has been doing with Xbox, by issuing Xbox software updates that block peripherals and pirated games.
From the Xbox Live terms of use page:
"We may, among other things: (i) restrict or limit access to the Services; (ii) retrieve information from the Authorized Device and any connected peripheral device used to log onto the Services as necessary to operate and protect the security of the Services, and to enforce this Agreement; and (iii) upgrade, modify, withdraw, suspend, or discontinue any functionality or feature of the Services, or any hardware or software associated with the Services or with an Authorized Device, from time to time without notice. We may do so by the automatic download of related software directly to your Authorized Device, including software that prevents you from accessing the Services, playing pirated games, or using unauthorized hardware peripheral devices."
Because Microsoft is moving toward building more and more of its products -- including the Xbox One operating system -- around the Windows 10 Core, it makes sense to have more of a unified services policy for those products and services that work across them.
What we don't know is whether "One Windows" and one service agreement means Microsoft will start doing what it has already done with Xbox, namely download software updates that will block users from playing pirated games or using unauthorized peripherals on Windows 10 PCs, tablets and phones, especially given the fact that Microsoft is enabling game streaming between Xbox One and Windows 10.
By unifying the language of its service agreement to cover all of its services, rather than to call out specific case-by-case instances, Microsoft has opened the door for such behavior. Will the company actually go so far as to start blocking Windows 10 users from running pirated games and unauthorized peripherals? I guess we'll find out....
Microsoft's Services EULA is different from the one governing Windows (Microsoft Software License Terms), which means that the amendments Microsoft added recently were to protect against counterfeiting of Xbox Live and Windows Store content, and not monitoring (or disabling) illicit content on Windows 10.
kellyrx8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2015-08-17, 01:27 PM   #188
Karlen

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 887
Thanks (Received): 482
Likes (Given): 4078
Likes (Received): 4368
Dislikes (Given): 99
Dislikes (Received): 168

Considering how many pirated copies of Windows are out there..good luck.
Karlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2015-08-24, 09:06 AM   #189
redlobster

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 41
Likes (Given): 39
Likes (Received): 319
Dislikes (Given): 8
Dislikes (Received): 29

If I buy a new laptop with Windows 7 or 8 on it, do I automatically get a free upgrade to 10 pushed down via automatic updates?
redlobster is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 2015-08-24, 09:22 AM   #190
shaun y
Mr 49er

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlobster View Post
If I buy a new laptop with Windows 7 or 8 on it, do I automatically get a free upgrade to 10 pushed down via automatic updates?
It won't automatically upgrade you but you can upgrade for free if you want to for about 11 more months.
Unread 2015-08-24, 09:34 AM   #191
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlobster View Post
Quote:
It won't automatically upgrade you but you can upgrade for free if you want to for about 11 more months.

I did the "manual" install but have heard about people getting "your windows 10 update is ready" and they have had luck

Unread 2015-08-24, 09:59 AM   #192
Scooby24
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 49
Thanks (Received): 689
Likes (Given): 342
Likes (Received): 3959
Dislikes (Given): 27
Dislikes (Received): 40

I'm still waiting on ASUS to get a driver for their sound cards...I'm still using an 8.1 driver and analog as the optical doesn't work in anything but 2.0, and over optical, there's a strange echo like EAX is enabled on everything. About to give up and go get a Sound Blaster Z as they have W10 drivers available.
Unread 2015-08-24, 10:10 AM   #193
shaun y
Mr 49er

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
I did the "manual" install but have heard about people getting "your windows 10 update is ready" and they have had luck
I thought he was asking if it would force the upgrade on his computer, which I'm pretty sure it doesn't?
Unread 2015-08-24, 10:11 AM   #194
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
I thought he was asking if it would force the upgrade on his computer, which I'm pretty sure it doesn't?
It's not forced but it does pop up and state it is ready would you like to proceed

Unread 2015-08-24, 12:30 PM   #195
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Torrent trackers freak out over perceived Windows 10 anti-piracy measures

Based on extremely thin evidence, several private torrent trackers believe Microsoft is setting up for a big piracy crackdown in Windows 10.

Convinced that a piracy crackdown is coming, one torrent tracking site has banned all users of Windows 10, and several other sites have considered doing the same. Unfortunately, these sites are also jumping to conclusions without much in the way of evidence.
As noted on Reddit, the private torrent tracker iTS has been banning Windows 10 users since last week, citing reports that Microsoft is scanning Windows 10 PCs for pirated games and unauthorized hardware peripherals. Many of those reports were overblown, however, as the End User License Agreement in question only applies to Microsoft services. In other words, playing a pirated game over Xbox Live in Windows 10 might get you banned from Xbox Live, just as it does on Xbox consoles.
iTS also claimed that Microsoft is submitting “the contents of your local disks” to the servers of MarkMonitor, a firm that provides many services including anti-piracy. Again, this seems like an overstatement. As TorrentFreak points out, Microsoft has long worked with MarkMonitor to offer phishing protection in Microsoft services (and it’s not as if concerns about fraud and malware on torrent sites are completely unfounded).
Nonetheless, iTS’s extreme stand against Windows 10 seems to be inspiring some other trackers. According to TorrentFreak, tracker operators BB and FSC are also considering a ban on Windows 10. “What’s particularly nasty is that apparently it sends the results of local(!!) searches to a well known anti piracy company directly so as soon as you have one known p2p or scene release on your local disk … BAM!,” BB staff wrote to its users.
The concern appears to be that that these trackers could be exposed by Microsoft’s monitoring of its own Internet services. But again, there’s no sign that this is actually happening, so all we have are a few sites taking an abundance of caution in lieu of hard evidence.
Why this matters: While the reaction from private torrent trackers is extreme, that doesn’t mean Microsoft is blameless. By not clearly explaining certain aspects of Windows 10 (such as the way taskbar searches phone home even with Bing disabled ), and enabling features like Wi-Fi Sense and peer-to-peer updates by default, the company has seeded some distrust in its latest operating system. Thus, even the slightest perceived issues, such as anti-piracy measures in Xbox Live, become the cause for more paranoia.

Unread 2015-08-24, 12:53 PM   #196
redlobster

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 41
Likes (Given): 39
Likes (Received): 319
Dislikes (Given): 8
Dislikes (Received): 29

Quote:
I kind of was asking forced and un-forced but I wasn't clear. Thanks for the clarity.
redlobster is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 2015-08-25, 08:43 AM   #197
tweiss3

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 69
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 1

I have an odd situation. My work computer, which is on a domain, tries and fails to install W10 every morning about 30 minutes after I boot up. I even uninstalled the KB that supposedly installs the W10 update, and it persists. Any one else have this? I know it's not supposed to even pop up at all on a domain computer, so this has me confused.
Unread 2015-08-25, 08:49 AM   #198
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweiss3 View Post
I have an odd situation. My work computer, which is on a domain, tries and fails to install W10 every morning about 30 minutes after I boot up. I even uninstalled the KB that supposedly installs the W10 update, and it persists. Any one else have this? I know it's not supposed to even pop up at all on a domain computer, so this has me confused.

Not supposed to?

it all depends on how updates are pushed out, I have 3-4 sites and some we blocked it on and others we didn't and I see it from time to time (or have gotten emails from them asking wtf it is )

Sounds like MS is being aggressive and pushing it regardless of some settings

Unread 2015-08-25, 09:01 AM   #199
tweiss3

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 69
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 1

Quote:
Not supposed to?

it all depends on how updates are pushed out, I have 3-4 sites and some we blocked it on and others we didn't and I see it from time to time (or have gotten emails from them asking wtf it is )

Sounds like MS is being aggressive and pushing it regardless of some settings
Microsoft said the domain/enterprise computers isn't supposed to get the free update, nor do we want it.

Unread 2015-08-25, 09:04 AM   #200
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Odd, I had it pop up in a domain, I'd have to go back and look. I don't blame you for not wanting it, working on an issue with a net extender vpn and an employee updating to 10 (from home) but now his vpn is broken

Tags
cortana, windows 10