Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Computers, Teh Interweb, Gaming, Electronics

Unread 2016-02-04, 12:02 PM   #226
Scooby24
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 49
Thanks (Received): 689
Likes (Given): 339
Likes (Received): 3951
Dislikes (Given): 27
Dislikes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlen View Post
I'm not on a laptop. The power button is shutdown, the sleep button is shutdown. That's my settings.

I don't see a fast boot option, unless I need to get into my bios. But this is not every time, it's random. Goes several days without doing it, then does it several times, then doesn't do it again. Never had this problem before win 10
I'm not sure why the snippy response... just offering a suggestion...

http://www.tenforums.com/general-dis...0-upgrade.html

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html

Quote:
Hi guys

UPDATE: Just saw Syds post - that's what you need to disable.

Another first timer here trying to solve his boot issues.
Tried everything you suggested but it failed to work since I don't have the ON/OFF Gigabyte app.
What worked and solved the problem was:

Control Panel >
Power Options (Change what the power buttons do) >
Change settings that are currently unavailable >
*DISABLE* - Turn on fast start-up.

I did some power options tweaking that might helped solving the problem but I doubt it was their doing.
My advice is to try the steps above and see if it solves the problem (requires 3-4 mins)

All the best.
Unread 2016-02-04, 12:04 PM   #227
Karlen

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 887
Thanks (Received): 481
Likes (Given): 4077
Likes (Received): 4362
Dislikes (Given): 99
Dislikes (Received): 166

I wasn't being snippy lol
Karlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2016-02-04, 12:06 PM   #228
Karlen

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 887
Thanks (Received): 481
Likes (Given): 4077
Likes (Received): 4362
Dislikes (Given): 99
Dislikes (Received): 166

Hmm I don't have the fast startup setting available. Under shutdown settings all I have are sleep and lock.
Karlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2016-02-04, 12:58 PM   #229
kellyrx8
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 30
Thanks (Received): 99
Likes (Given): 698
Likes (Received): 448
Dislikes (Given): 7
Dislikes (Received): 3

http://www.tenforums.com/general-dis...0-upgrade.html
kellyrx8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2016-07-25, 03:25 PM   #230
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Windows 10’s Anniversary update is just what everyday users need

I
t can’t be disputed: Windows 10 has been a wild success for Microsoft, after being installed on more than 350 million devices. To mark this, August 2nd is the release of the Anniversary Update which brings a slew of tweaks, fixes and new features. Before I move on, fun fact: it took 25 PC builds and 16 mobile builds for Windows Insider Program participants — the highest engagement from both testers and Microsoft ever seen with this version of the OS.
If you care for nothing else of this update, just know that there’s a “dark mode” in Windows now (finally). However, with an update this big it might be worth updating your computer, for once.
Three Big Changes: Ink, Cortana and Security

Windows Ink

The first of new features to debut is Windows Ink: an icon on the taskbar, which turns into a hub and is meant to further the interaction of pen-enabled Windows devices, like Surface computers.
It offers integration with Office, Cortana and Microsoft Edge, as well as Adobe. Taking notes, sketching on screenshots, drawing ideas, setting Sticky Note reminders with Cortana; those sorts of tasks.
All these software interactions share one thing: a pen. Basically, Microsoft thought that it’s best to have an area of the system dedicated towards educating the user about the different things your digital pen can do with Windows 10.
It might not be exciting, but it does bring organization, something that Windows always needs.
Security

Security is a hot topic (and will stay one) for personal computers. For that, Microsoft has extended its fantastic Windows Hello facial recognition tech beyond the lockscreen. Apps like DropBox, iHeartRADIO and the Edge browser will allow for facial logins.
There are also alleged improvements to the recognition itself, now being able to distinguish between twins, providing adjustments for growing children, and the option to save multiple profiles (e.g. one profile with glasses and other without). Also, to avoid accidentally logging into a system the moment you look at it, Microsoft is adding interactions — tapping the screen, nodding your head — to add a physical additional layer of security.
Also Windows Defender (if you’ve used or heard of it), will begin automatic periodic scans for malware, as well as notifications of threats and scans; I suppose this is cool.
Cortana

Last but not least of the major additions are the changes made to Cortana.
The virtual assistant now exists above the lock screen, so you can ask questions, play music, set reminders and the like, without needing to proceed to the desktop immediately. Cortana can also save and recall information you recite to it (say, an ID number) or search within docs.
But here’s the best thing the Anniversary update did for Cortana: it can move seamlessly between devices now (Windows 10, iPhone, Android and Cyanogen) where things like navigation or notifications can be sent from PC to mobile.
And The Other Stuff…

With the Anniversary Update, Microsoft is not only adding features but also cleaning up existing elements of the system. Things like the Action Center, the Windows Store, a new emoji keyboard, game hubs within the Xbox/gaming app, and the (again) redesigned Start menu, have experienced fixes and tweaks that even from first glance, make Windows a little better to use.

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-02-01, 05:30 PM   #231
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

The 10 best features coming to Windows 10

Microsoft wants to make you love your computer again. Our regularly updated list shows you the best Windows 10 features that are just around the corner.

This spring, Microsoft will release the next major update to Windows 10. Dubbed Creators Update, the free download includes new 3D apps, VR capabilities and 4K game streaming among its flashier features.
But you don't need to be a graphics professional or VR-headset owner to appreciate what the Creators Update has in store. I've just spent weeks using a preview build of Microsoft's operating system and pouring over Microsoft's change logs, and found that the next version of Windows contains dozens of tweaks and enhancements for everyday users as well.
So I believe these are the true top 10 features coming to Windows 10 -- not the snazziest, but the ones that might actually make Windows work better when you're trying to get work done. As neither a visual artist nor a VR early adopter, these are the changes I'm most excited about.
If you like our picks -- or even if you dislike them! -- bookmark this page and check back. We'll be updating this post as Microsoft announces new features and new versions of Windows, so this article can become a living guide to how your computing life might improve.
1. Smarter Settings layout

If you head to the Bluetooth page in Windows 10's Settings page right now, you won't find a button to Add a Device, which I find maddening. Instead, you must tab over to "Connected Devices" to perform the simple, common task of adding a Bluetooth peripheral to your computer. There's also no easy way to disconnect from a Bluetooth device without removing it entirely.
Creators Update addresses this mess by combining the separate "Bluetooth" and "Connected devices" pages into one "Bluetooth & other devices" page in Settings where you you can add, remove, connect and disconnect devices at will.

Enlarge Image
Matt Elliott/CNET Elsewhere in Settings, you'll find new categories for "Apps," "Gaming" and "Mixed Reality" as well.
2. Free up disk space without lifting a finger

Hard drive nearing capacity? Mine always seems to be. Creators Update can help keep your drive from filling up with crap. Head to Settings > System > Storage and turn on Storage sense.
With this setting enabled, Windows will automatically delete unused temporary files, as well as files that have been in the Recycle Bin for more than 30 days. I'm pretty good with emptying the Recycle Bin on something approaching a regular schedule, but I'm also very happy to have Windows track down and eradicate needless temp files.

Enlarge Image
Matt Elliott/CNET 3. Action Center sliders

Right now, when you swipe in from the right edge of your screen to call up the Action Center, there's a control to adjust display brightness -- but tapping it only bumps up display brightness in huge, 25 percent blocks. Usually, I'm looking for finer control. But Creators Update offers handy sliders for both brightness and volume.
Microsoft is also testing a slider that could help you fine-tune the balance between your computer's battery life and performance. You can see a picture of that below.

Enlarge Image
Microsoft 4. Easier to change screen resolution

One of the more puzzling things about Windows 10 is how difficult it is to change the resolution of your display. (Currently, you must right-click on the desktop, select Display Settings, scroll to the bottom and click "Advanced display settings" to find it.)
I'd argue that the display resolution isn't exactly an "advanced" setting, and Microsoft finally agrees; Creators Update places the screen resolution drop-down in its rightful place on the main Display settings page.

Enlarge Image
Matt Elliott/CNET 5. Hit the Pause button on automatic updates

I agree, the worst part about Windows 10 is automatic updates. With Creators Update, you can't stop automatic updates from happening, but you can delay some of them -- for about a month, anyhow. Head to Settings > Update & security > Windows Update and click Advanced options under Update settings. Here, you'll see a toggle switch for Pause Updates, which lets you prevent updates from being installed for up to 35 days.
You aren't completely free from the specter of an automatic update taking control of your machine and potentially losing unsaved work. As the panel clearly states, "some updates... will continue to be installed." But, hey, at least it's a start.

Enlarge Image
Matt Elliott/CNET 6. Metered Ethernet connection

Originally designed to give you control over your data usage if you're using, say, a mobile hotspot or a satellite connection that has a data cap, a metered connection also has the added benefit of keeping Windows Updates at bay. Windows won't download the update until you tell it to, or set your connection as unmetered.
But what if your computer is connected with a physical Ethernet cable? Creators' Update adds that as well. To set your Ethernet connected as metered, head to Settings > Network & Internet > Ethernet and then click your Ethernet network. Next, toggle Set as metered connection.

Enlarge Image
Matt Elliott/CNET 7. High DPI support

It's a bummer to upgrade to a 4K display only to find some of your apps look blurry, because the developer has yet to update them to run on a screen with so many pixels. Creators Update adds a way for you to override DPI settings so individual apps can scale properly (read: crisply) on high-resolution displays. Here's how:
Right-click on the app and choose Properties. Click on the Compatibility tab and check the box for Override high DPI scaling behavior and then choose System (Enhanced) from the pull-down menu.

Enlarge Image
Matt Elliott/CNET 8. New Reminders recurrence options

Forget to pay your cable bill or buy flowers for your wedding anniversary? Hopefully, never again: Creators Update adds two new options for Cortana Reminders, so you can now ask Cortana to remind you to do something "Every Month" or "Every Year."

Enlarge Image
Matt Elliott/CNET 9. Share menu where you want it

Currently, when you hit the share button in an app, the sharing options slide in from the right edge of the screen -- usually not where I'm looking. But soon, the share window will pop up right in the center of the current app. The new Share menu in Windows 10 Creators Update offers the usual suspects -- Cortana Reminder, Facebook, Mail, OneNote and Twitter -- and also features suggestions to install the Box, Dropbox and Line apps.

Unread 2017-02-09, 06:32 PM   #232
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Windows 10 Project NEON UI Changes Spied Again Via Leaked Screenshot

We've been talking about Microsoft's 'Project NEON' for a couple of months now, and while we now have a good idea of what it's going to be bringing to the table, we're in for a rather long wait. The public release isn't slated to arrive until late 2017.
Project NEON is an evolution of the design language in Windows 10, and will give a noticeable fresh coat of paint to both Windows 10 itself, and apps found in the Windows Store. The goal is to continue with the modern push, and implement a lot of blur for aesthetic enhancement.

At a Windows Developer Day which took place yesterday, Microsoft inadvertently revealed Project NEON's updated look, although it was obfuscated behind marketing blurbs. Today, a clean version of the image has risen to the surface (seen above), giving us our best look at NEON up to this point.
While your eyes are naturally going to focus on the Groove Music app in the center, the toolbar might be even more notable. When Project NEON drops with Windows 10 Redstone 3, it looks like it could bring a brand-new all-white theme (which we'd hope would not be a replacement), and it looks incredibly clean. This is primarily because Microsoft may have a trick in store for the system tray, which normally results in ten or more icons cluttering up the bottom right-side.
image: http://hothardware.com/ContentImages/NewsItem/40170/content/small_windows_10_acrylic.jpg
In a couple of months, Microsoft is going to be releasing its much-anticipated "Creators Update" of Windows 10, which among many other things introduces Game Mode, as well as Compact Overlay and Picture-in-Picture, as we discussed yesterday. The Creators Update will preface Redstone 3, likely by 5 or 6 months. That is still far off in the future, but the way things are shaping up, it could prove to be well worth the wait.

Unread 2017-03-21, 01:09 AM   #233
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Windows 10 will push some updates over limited data plans

The Creators Update could lead to a larger internet bill in some cases.

Lucas Jackson / Reuters

Windows 10's Creators Update should generally be more considerate when delivering updates, but you might not be the biggest fan if you have limited internet service. Microsoft has confirmed that the new version of Windows will automatically download updates "required to keep Windows running smoothly" even when you're on a metered connection. What does that mean, exactly? A spokesperson tells Supersite Windows that the operating system will avoid pushing "large" patches and will focus on "critical fixes," but it's not clear where the threshold will be.

This generally won't be an issue if you're an avid internet user with an unlimited service plan or a relatively high data cap. However, it might pose a problem if you have a low cap (such as on satellite broadband) or have to pay based on usage. While this could save you from a major malware threat or a showstopping bug, you might not be so happy if you end up paying an overage fee just to get that important fix.

Unread 2017-03-31, 09:31 AM   #234
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Windows 10 build 15063 rolling out for Insiders on PC and Mobile

Microsoft is rolling out yet another new Windows 10 build for Insiders in the Fast ring today, featuring yet more bug fixes and under the hood improvements.

What's improved for PC?

• We fixed a reliability issue from Build 15061 resulting in Microsoft Edge hanging and becoming completely unresponsive.
  • We fixed an issue for Insiders where the localized files and registry keys associated with any additional language packs on the system would not be installed after enabling .NET Framework 3.5.
What's improved for Mobile?

• We fixed the bug causing a number of inbox apps to fail to launch (such as Store) and also preventing any app updates from the Store from working. Thank you all for sending us feedback around this.
  • We fixed the bug causing background tasks to not run in the background like they should such as OneDrive's camera roll sync feature. Background tasks should be working again as expected and your camera roll will sync to OneDrive again.
  • We fixed the issue where in some cases you may lose your call, text, and email history may be lost if your device experiences an unexpected reboot.
  • Speech Packs should download and install normally.
  • We fixed an issue for Insiders with certain cars resulting in connection failures after pairing Bluetooth.
  • We fixed an issue where replacing the default APN for LTE on the phone wouldn't work.

Unread 2017-04-10, 11:31 AM   #235
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

How to disable all of Microsoft's ads in Windows 10 Creators Update

Pretty much since the launch of Windows 10 there have been complaints about ads and usage tracking in various forms. You might think that Microsoft would listen to complaints and consider removing ads from its operating system, but in fact more and more have been added.
We've looked at the various ads (or app suggestions, app tips and so on to use Microsoft's phraseology) that have cropped up over the last couple of years, but the release of Windows 10 Creators Update seems like a good time to revisit the topic. So here, once and for all, is how to kill all the ads (or whatever you want to call them) in Windows 10.

It seems there are few corners of Windows 10 that have been left unblighted by ads. They are to be found in the Start menu, on the Lock Screen, on the taskbar, in apps, in the Share dialog. Just when you think there couldn’t possibly be anywhere else to cram an ad, Microsoft thinks up something new. It can feel like a game of whack-a-mole trying to keep up
Ads in File Explorer
This is one of the more recent additions to Windows 10 -- the appearance of ads for OneDrive in Explorer itself.
  • Launch File Explorer and click View> Options.
  • Move to the Viewtab and scroll through the list of options in the Advanced settings
  • Towards the bottom of the list, uncheck the option labeled Show sync provider notifications.
  • Click OK.

Ads in the Start menu
You probably visit the Start menu quite a lot, so this is one of the last places you want to be bombarded with ads... or App Suggestions if you want to swallow the Microsoft marketing spiel.
  • Open up Settings and head to Personalization.
  • Click the Start link to the left and then switch the Occasionally show suggestions in Start toggle to the Off

Ads on the Lock screen
You might not see the Lock screen all that often, but that's no reason to be assaulted by ads when you do.
  • Open up Settings and head to Personalization.
  • Click the Lock screen link to the left and then (assuming you have Picture or Slideshow selected) switch the Get fun facts, tips and more from Windows and Cortana on your lock screen toggle to the Off

Ads in the Share dialog
This is another recent addition to Windows 10, and no less irritating for it:
  • With the Share Dialog visible -- the easiest way to access it is through Microsoft Edge -- right-click one of the icons on display.
  • Uncheck the Show app suggestions.

Ads elsewhere in Windows 10
You might think you've disabled everything by now, but there are a couple more settings to tweak.
  • Open up Settings and head to System.
  • Click the Notifications & actions link to the left and then switch the Get tips tricks and suggestions as you use Windows toggle to the Off
  • While you here, you can also switch the Show me the Windows welcome experience after updates and occasionally when I sign in to highlight what's new and suggested toggle to the Off

Have we missed any?

Unread 2017-05-02, 04:11 PM   #236
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

What is Windows 10 S?

Microsoft's May 2 event in New York City was ostensibly focused on education. But the biggest surprise was a major addition to the Windows 10 family. Here's what you'll find on a PC running Windows 10 S.

And then there were three. Windows 10 S fits between Home and Pro.
Microsoft announced Windows 10 S at an event in New York City on May 2, 2017.
The new edition joins Windows 10 Home and Pro as an option for OEMs to install on new PCs. I'm still waiting for a hands-on opportunity with this product. In the meantime, here's what we know about Windows 10 S.

Where does this edition fit in the Windows 10 family?
Windows 10 S is basically Windows 10 Pro, with a locked-down configuration that makes it easier to manage and less susceptible to security and performance issues.
Does it run all Windows programs?
No. The most important part of the Windows 10 S configuration is a setting that prevents it from running any apps that aren't included with Windows 10 or available through the Windows Store.
That limitation isn't quite as dramatic as it sounds. Third-party app developers can convert traditional desktop apps to the Universal Windows Platform and make them available through the Store. Slack is there now, along with 500 other apps that have gone through the conversion tools (formerly code-named "Project Centennial.")
Office 365 is arriving soon, and Spotify is on track to hit the Windows Store this summer.

But a PC running Windows 10 S won't run desktop programs that you download and run using a standard Windows installer. That means a dramatically reduced risk of installing malware. It also means OEMs can't load a new PC up with crapware that hurts its performance. Of course, that also prevents some very high-profile apps, including iTunes, from running. And it's unlikely that any third-party antivirus programs will be available.
What browsers are available?
The Windows 10 S configuration locks it to the Edge browser. There are no other options for browsers. That means Google Chrome, for example, won't run. Presumably, that also means that Internet Explorer 11 is not an option.
The default search provider is Bing (and "designated regional search providers"). That setting controls searches from the address bar and the taskbar search box and cannot be changed. Of course, nothing prevents a user from creating a bookmark to Google Search, or even setting it as the home page.
What about hardware support?
Microsoft says "Many hardware peripherals (such as printers) that work with Windows 10 today will work with Windows 10 S, but may have limited functionality." Presumably this is because third-party drivers and utility software will not be allowed to install.
At the New York event, Microsoft name-checked seven PC makers who will be selling Windows 10 S PCs, at prices starting at $189. Microsoft's own flagship Windows 10 S device is the Surface Laptop, also announced today, which starts at $999.
Can a PC running Windows 10 S join a domain?
Domain join is not supported on traditional Active Directory-based Windows networks. You can, however, join a Windows 10 S PC to Azure Active Directory. You can also roam an enterprise profile using Azure AD
Is BitLocker disk encryption available?
Yes. The BitLocker feature -- available in Windows 10 Pro but not Home -- is available on Windows 10 S devices.
Can updates be managed?
Like Windows 10 Pro, Windows 10 S supports Windows Update for Business, which allows administrators to choose deployment schedules for feature updates and defer normal quality updates for up to 30 days. Windows 10 S PCs are also fully manageable using mobile device management software, including Microsoft Intune.
How does the upgrade to Windows 10 Pro work?
The upgrade costs $49 and is managed through the Windows Store. (It's possible that a valid Windows 10 Pro product key will also perform this upgrade.)
Once the machine is upgraded to Windows 10 Pro, the Windows 10 S configuration is not available.

Unread 2017-05-11, 11:53 AM   #237
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Apps & Software
Image Source: Microsoft

Microsoft unveils next major Windows 10 update: Fall Creators Update

You know what follows after Microsoft’s Windows 10 Creators Update that was just released? The Windows 10 Fall Creators Update. Yes, it’s still about creators. And yes, it arrives this fall, as Microsoft seems committed to delivering two major Windows 10 updates each year.

Microsoft is still “laser focused” on improving your creativity, which is probably why we’re still focusing “Creators,” with the update.
The operating system should receive minor cosmetic updates, part of Microsoft’s new Fluent Design System, which will optimize Windows 10 for various use ranges on top of regular Windows modes, including virtual reality (VR) and mixed reality. Fluent Design is practically Microsoft’s equivalent for Google’s Material Design standards. Here’s a taste of the Fluent Design principles:
The new release will bring more of Microsoft’s Graph tool, which will let users easily switch between devices, assuming you’re running compatible apps on your various different devices, iPhone and Android included. Other interesting features include a Timeline feature for going back to previous activities, and a virtual clipboard (the Cloud-powered clipboard) that works across platforms, including iOS and Android.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly.

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcBGj4R7Fo0

OneDrive is also getting better, letting users better control their cloud files downloads — that’s the OneDrive Files On-Demand feature. Users won’t have to download or sync entire folder if all they need are a few files.
One of the major features of Windows 10 Fall Creators Update targets creators, and it’s a video app called Story Remix. The app is a feature-laden video editor that will surely meet the needs of video creators, bringing over machine learning to make videos look even better. Microsoft spent plenty of time demoing the feature during the event, but here’s a video taste of what Story Remix gets you:
Windows 10 Fall Creators Update arrives this fall, although we don’t have a precise release date for it at this point. However, you’ll surely experience it a lot faster than that, once the first betas arrive via the Insider update.
Developing…

Unread 2017-05-18, 11:58 AM   #238
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Windows 10 preview: Now Android owners can handle calls from their PC

The latest Windows 10 preview release adds notifications for incoming calls to Android phones, but Microsoft apologizes that not all testers will get access to the smart videoediting tool, Story Remix.

An example of the new look for Windows 10 under Microsoft's Fluent Design System.
Image: Microsoft Microsoft has updated preview builds of Windows 10 to add notifications for incoming calls on Android, but apologized for limiting access to its much-vaunted Story Remix feature.
The 'Fast ring' release is the second new Windows 10 Insider Preview build since last week's unveiling of the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update and the new Fluent Design System at Microsoft's Build 2017 event.

On day 2 of its Build 2017 developers conference, Microsoft announced a name for its fall release of Windows 10 and showed off a few new features that will be in that update. A surprise announcement: iTunes is coming to the Windows Store.

At the conference, Microsoft showed off its smart videoediting tool, Story Remix, to give people a taste of what's to come in the fall update. New features include adding 3D objects to photos and videos, and drawing with Windows Ink.
Microsoft had said those running the Windows Insider Preview build released via the Fast ring would be the first to see Story Remix, but it turns out that only some will have access to it. As Dona Sarka, a software engineer for Microsoft's Windows and Devices Group, explained, Microsoft is instead rolling out Story Remix to a select group of Fast ring users, as part of A/B testing for the Photos feature. So while the "large majority" of Fast ring Insiders did get it, those who did not were selected for the control group.
While Insiders should be familiar with Microsoft using them for A/B testing, Sarka apologized for the omission.
"Story Remix is being rolled out to Windows Insiders in the Fast ring as part of A/B testing," said Sarka.
"As you can imagine, this is very important for us to get right when bringing new features to Windows 10... We should have been more clear about this up front last week when we announced Story Remix so we apologize for the confusion," she added.
The Story Remix team, however, is taking email requests from control group to switch sides.

A handy update in the latest Fast ring build, 16199, is incoming Android call notifications, a Cortana capability that delivers a notification to the PC telling you who's calling, with the option to decline the call or text the caller back from the PC. To try it, Fast ring users need to install Cortana on the Android device and enable Cortana's cross-device features in Android's Settings panel under 'Sync notifications'.
Other updates bring some of Microsoft's My People features to Windows 10, including animated emoji from pinned contacts, notification badges that display a count of unseen messages from pinned contacts, and the ability to drag-and-drop files onto contact in the taskbar to start an email.
Microsoft is also expanding its Storage Sense feature, which helps automatically free up storage space. In addition, a new toggle automatically deletes files that have been sitting in the Downloads folder unchanged for 30 days.

Unread 2017-05-26, 08:53 AM   #239
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Windows 10 Creators Update: Microsoft's latest update fixes a load of bugs

A new cumulative update for the Windows 10 Creators Update addresses 14 bugs affecting the browser, peripherals, and third-party messaging apps.

The new cumulative update offers fixes for bugs in the Windows client-server authentication service NTLM, Internet Explorer, Split View, fonts, messaging, and support for third-party apps.
Image: Jorge Morales Vidal/Microsoft Microsoft has released a host of improvements and bug fixes for the recent Windows 10 Creators Update.
The fixes are available in the KB4020102 update, Build 15063.332, for Windows 10 version 1703, otherwise known as the Creators Update. It's the fourth update since the Creators Update began arriving on PCs in early April. Microsoft began ramping up the rollout this month, as it continues to address glitches experienced by users on specific hardware.
This update should improve the experience for those who've already moved to the latest version of Windows 10, with fixes for bugs in the Windows client-server authentication service NTLM, Internet Explorer, Split View, fonts, messaging, and support for third-party apps.
Installing the update should fix a problem introduced by Creators Update, which broke audio output run through external decoders. It also fixes an issue that stalled SMS and messaging apps when the user tries to delete messages.
Setting up printers on machines with less than 4GB RAM should also be a easier with this update. On top of that, it addresses printer queuing issues.
Microsoft has fixed an problem in the Creators Update where NTLM was failing "to generate a challenge response when CredGuard is enabled, NTLMv2 is used, and no target information is provided by the server".
Previously, starting Split View would stop apps such as Edge, Hub, and Cortana from receiving inputs for multi-display setups. That issue is now fixed.
The fonts fix addresses an issue where users would see black bars or other objects due to a problem rendering non-Unicode fonts on non-Latin scripts.

Non-administrative users should also now able to install an ActiveX control, according to Microsoft.
There are also fixes for the IoT shell, and proxy settings. The update only brings quality improvements and no new features.
Separately, Microsoft has been doing some house-cleaning on the Surface Pro 4's drivers, which improves its battery life in sleep mode, disables touch when the cover is closed, and fixes a post-sleep screen brightness issue.

Unread 2017-09-13, 10:19 AM   #240
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Windows 10 Fall Creators Update will add helpful privacy setting tweaks

The setup process and per-app permissions are getting more granular.

Dan Masaoka
More like this

Privacy concerns have plagued Windows 10 since its launch. It’s no surprise: The operating system is designed to ensnare you in Microsoft’s services, and you can’t stop it from sending Microsoft basic telemetry data about your device. But Microsoft has been working hard to assuage the concerns, and on Wednesday it announced enhanced privacy settings coming in October’s Windows 10 Fall Creators Update.
This spring’s Windows 10 Creators Update introduced simpler, yet more limited privacy settings during the installation process. The Fall Creators Update builds on that by making the full privacy statement available in the setup phase.

Microsoft The privacy statement shown during Windows 10 Fall Creators Update's installation.
Most people won’t bother reading the massive wall of legalese, but helpfully, Microsoft’s including “Learn More” links in the text so you can jump directly to the settings for how Windows 10 handles location, speech recognition, diagnostics, tailored experiences, and ads.
Microsoft’s also making Windows 10’s per-app controls more like Android and iOS, but in a good way. Up until now, third-party Windows Store apps would only ask for specific authorization to access your location data; all other needed permissions were granted automatically. Starting in the Fall Creators Update, Windows 10 will also ask for direct authorization if an app wants to tap into your camera, microphone, contacts, calendar, and other potentially sensitive information.

Microsoft Granular app permissions are a much-needed improvement.
Those new prompts will only appear for apps you install after upgrading to the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, which launches October 17 alongside Windows Mixed Reality headsets. You won’t be asked to approve the granular new permissions for apps already on your PC. If you want to double-check those, you’ll need to head to Start > Settings > Privacy.
Enterprise users will also get more control over analytics data, Microsoft announced.
You still can’t completely turn off Microsoft’s access to Windows 10’s data, but kudos to the company for improving the situation over time and becoming more transparent about what information it is collecting. These privacy tweaks are just some of the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update's best new features. And to seize the most control over your PC, be sure to check out PCWorld’s guide to reclaiming your Windows 10 privacy, piece-by-piece.

Tags
cortana, windows 10