Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Computers, Teh Interweb, Gaming, Electronics

Unread 2015-06-18, 08:14 PM   #76
KUweatherman
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 402
Thanks (Received): 363
Likes (Given): 4962
Likes (Received): 2124
Dislikes (Given): 121
Dislikes (Received): 174

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyLee View Post
That's cool and all but wouldn't you want it to have the house already cool before you get there vs begin to cool once you do get there?
You can set it to do that too.
Unread 2015-06-19, 08:49 AM   #77
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

A former Apple exec who now works at Google weighs in on how much customer data companies should give away

Nest, the smart thermostat company that Google bought for $3.2 billion last year, made a bunch of product announcements this week.One of the company's most interesting announcements was a new program called Nest Safety Rewards, in which the company plans to partner with insurance companies to give discounts to people who own Nest products.
People who participate will sign up to send their insurance company monthly data about whether their Nest fire alarm is turned on, its sensors are working, and if its Wi-fi connection is good. In exchange, they'll get up to 5% off their premiums. So far, Nest has signed up two companies - Liberty Mutual and American Family.
At the company's announcement, Nest CEO Tony Fadell made sure to stress that the aforementioned would be the only information that insurance companies received.
While it doesn't sound like a huge amount of data to give away in exchange for a discount, it's interesting to see such a program come from an executive who formerly worked at a very anti-data-sharing company. Before founding Nest, Fadell worked at Apple for nearly 10 years, even earning himself the colloquial title "Father of the iPod."
But Google and Apple have very different ways of looking at how big companies should use people's data. Apple CEO Tim Cook has taken multiple recent opportunities to call out Google and similar companies for collecting user information to target ads.
"I'm speaking to you from Silicon Valley, where some of the most prominent and successful companies have built their businesses by lulling their customers into complacency about their personal information," Cook said in a recent speech. In an open letter on Apple's website, Cook has also pointed out that "When an online service is free, you're not the customer. You're the product."
Since Nest's acquisition, Fadell has also become the lead on Google Glass, and his perspective on data is less stringent than Cook's.
The Wall Street Journal's Alistair Barr asked Fadell which company's philosophy on data he aligned with after this week's Nest press conference.
"If you're not sharing anything I think that's wrong," Fadell replied. "If you're sharing everything, that's wrong too. You have to strike a really good balance and you have to understand what the benefit is for the customer and you have to be transparent about it. And if they don't want to opt in then you have to realize you've struck the wrong balance."
While it remains to be seen how many people will opt into Nest Safety Rewards, it's interesting to see how a former Apple employee views data sharing now that he's moved to Google.

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2015-06-19, 08:50 AM   #78
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Say Hello to Cam and Aware, Nest's New Home Surveillance System

We knew it was coming. When Nest bought the camera maker DropCam for a cool half billion last year, it seemed inevitable that a surveillance camera would be Nest’s third big hardware release. Today, Nest announced Nest Cam—along with a subscription service called Nest Aware.
The Camera

Let’s start with the Cam, which popped up on BestBuy’s website a few minutes before the announcement. It’s a kissing cousin to DropCam’s models—not a huge surprise that Nest has done a fairly straightforward rebranding of the product it acquired last year, though there have also been some upgrades: A redesigned body for example, with a magnet that will make it far easier to hang around the house. The camera itself still streams 1080p video with a 130 degree field of view, and many of the other features will feel familiar to any DropCam user.

The Service

So what about Aware? This is Nest’s cloud-powered subscription service for its new camera, first uncovered on Home Depot’s site by Wired; it lets you do things like visit your camera’s month-long history, share clips, and define “activity zones,” where the cam will alert you if it notices any kind of movement (in a baby’s crib, say, or a foyer). Another cool feature will make you a time lapse using footage—whether of your whole day or a project you’re working on.

How much will it cost? Nest has yet to confirm with us, but it sounds as though it will be a two-tiered subscription service based on history length. A 30-day history will cost you $30 per month, while 10 days of retrieval powers will run $10 per month, according to Alice Truong on Twitter.
Meanwhile, privacy, as always, will be an important issue with the cloud-based service, which went unmentioned at today’s announcement.
Also, a little unclear what privacy you give up by signing up for @nest aware. #NestLaunch15
June 17, 2015
The App

We’ve always known that Nest wanted its products to talk to each other, but it hasn’t been explicit about what that means yet.
Not only does Cam use the same UI language as Protect and Thermostat—and the same system of hue-based notifications—it’s also wired to work with its sister products now through a new app announced today.

This is what gives us a real glimpse at Nest’s grand plan: For example, if your Nest Protect senses smoke, Cam will automatically turn on and ping you so you can see what’s going on. This has been a hugely annoying part of owning a Protect—when I get a notification on my phone, it’s impossible to check what’s going on remotely.
In other words, Nest just added eyes to its smelling, feeling home sensing system. Google is getting serious about building an all-seeing, all-knowing intelligent architecture—and we’ll just have to wait and see what that architecture will ultimately mean for users, especially when it comes to privacy.

Go check out Nest Cam’s specs on Best Buy—you can pre-order one for $200 right now. No word on how much the Aware subscription will cost, but I’ll update this post when we know more.

Unread 2015-06-19, 09:01 AM   #79
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

This inititive was kicked off at last years CES iirc

https://nest.com/works-with-nest/

Unread 2015-06-19, 11:38 AM   #80
Username:*
More awesomer than you

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 54
Thanks (Received): 167
Likes (Given): 335
Likes (Received): 997
Dislikes (Given): 6
Dislikes (Received): 10

Quote:
That's cool and all but wouldn't you want it to have the house already cool before you get there vs begin to cool once you do get there?
It starts cooling it down at a set time every day (30-45 minutes before we get home). However, if it doesn't detect me getting home after that it will turn back off after a certain amount of time so that it doesn't spend all that time cooling down a house that no one is in. Once I do get home, it detects me and kicks back on to finish the job.

Apparently you can link Google Now to it now as well and it will use your phone's GPS to determine you are on your way home and start working to cool down/heat up your house too. I haven't done that yet as I'm not sure how it works and we drive around Gardner sometimes during lunch. I'd hate to have it turning on all of the time if I have no intentions of coming home.

Last edited by Username:*; 2015-06-19 at 11:43 AM..
Username:* is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2015-07-30, 01:47 PM   #81
More awesomer than you

Post Thanks / Like

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly.

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOLF8WQ80PE

I ordered one of these today to replace the Nest. Nest has no intentions of creating a way for it to monitor and attempt to cool multiple rooms (instead of going off of the temperature around the thermostat) which has come to drive me absolutely insane over the last year. It does pretty much the same thing as the Nest, but adds sensors that you place in rooms that monitor the conditions in that room and communicate back to the thermostat. The thermostat then tries to average out the temperature to help make the entire house more comfy.

If it works, and reviews make it sound like it does, I will happily replace the Nest with it.

2017 Hyundai Elantra Sport 6mt
Unread 2015-07-30, 02:12 PM   #82
Ricerking13

Post Thanks / Like

Sound neat... but your AC can't blow air into just one room... right? So it keeps the air pumping until that room gets cooler, right? Resulting in the rest of the house being cooled below where you need it?
Unread 2015-07-30, 02:16 PM   #83
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 255
Likes (Given): 61
Likes (Received): 1926
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricerking13 View Post
Sound neat... but your AC can't blow air into just one room... right? So it keeps the air pumping until that room gets cooler, right? Resulting in the rest of the house being cooled below where you need it?
That's my thought as well. Now if you could install servos on the registers that would rock.

BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2015-07-30, 02:25 PM   #84
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
That's my thought as well. Now if you could install servos on the registers that would rock.
Iirc there's a product out there like this (saw it on shark tank)

Unread 2015-07-30, 02:34 PM   #85
More awesomer than you

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricerking13 View Post
During the day it's not an issue as we don't use the rooms. During the night is when the issue happens. Our master bedroom is a large room with vaulted ceilings that sits over the garage (that faces the setting sun and has cars that have been driven in it so it gets hot as hell). During the summer our bedroom gets much warmer than the rest of the house to the point where I'll wake up in the middle of the night and have to turn the temperature down. Having a sensor in there will prevent that from happening.

Another scenario is winter. The room our child will be sleeping in is a lot smaller than our bedroom. When the furnace is trying to heat down the rest of the house (and our bedroom), that room gets very toasty. Her skin is not a fan of being warm so this isn't a good situation. We'll have a sensor in there to keep that room nice at night. If our bedroom is a little cold then so be it. I like cold over hot anyways.

With that said, what about when you aren't in the room? The sensor knows you aren't in the room (because it detects motion among many other things) and as a result it doesn't put priority on that room. At night it puts priority on sensors in bedrooms over sensors in other rooms.

The sensors can also tell if there's a rapid fluctuation in temperature in a room (i.e. a window was left open on a cold winter day or there's a fire in the room) and it will notify you of this as well.

It does a lot of what the Nest does, but adds to it. Will my energy bill go up some? I'm sure it will, but I don't expect it to be much. If it skyrockets, I go back to using the Nest. I'm trying this out more for convenience than I am for saving money (as the Nest already does that).

Last edited by Username:*; 2015-07-30 at 02:38 PM..
Unread 2015-07-30, 02:36 PM   #86
More awesomer than you

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLM View Post
There's a system of sensors that can work with the Nest to do something similar to the Ecobee. It's not made by Nest (I want to say it's called Wally?), and the price is around $300. You have to use their system to control the Nest once you install it as well.

I got the Ecobee for $179 through Best Buy and plan on picking up a two-pack of sensors. I already have 3 people in line to buy the Nest should this work which will pay off the price of the Ecobee.

Unread 2015-07-30, 02:43 PM   #87
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Nice, kind of curious about it myself

Unread 2015-07-30, 02:54 PM   #88
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like

Does your HVAC system not have a set of manual dampers that you can control air flow to portions of your home (usually by floor)?

Unread 2015-08-06, 04:35 PM   #89
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like

Basically the way the Ecobee works is you can place sensors around your home thst talk to it. You can then program the Ecobee to focus on specific sensors and specific times.

Take for instance at night when you could give zero fucks a out the temp of the main floor where your thermostat is at but you want your bedroom a nice 70 degrees. You can program your night mode to ignore the temp of the lower level and go off of the bedroom sensor.

The API is available too so integrating it into home automation is a breeze. Plus it's very pleasing to look at.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Unread 2015-08-06, 04:49 PM   #90
More awesomer than you

Post Thanks / Like

I've had it installed for just under a week now. I'm going to give it a little more time before I provide full feedback (as even a Nest isn't fully set up and working perfectly in this time period).

Some notes I can provide:

1.) The bedroom temperature is already much better at night.
2.) Setting up the Ecobee is a little more challenging than a Nest (if you do not have a C-wire). It's not extremely difficult by any means, however.
3.) The stock firmware on the Ecobee is horrible. It was causing quite a few annoyances that had me ready to return the thing. Ecobee has since flashed it with the latest firmware and every single issue has disappeared.

Unread 2015-08-06, 04:55 PM   #91
Ricerking13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username:* View Post
I've had it installed for just under a week now. I'm going to give it a little more time before I provide full feedback (as even a Nest isn't fully set up and working perfectly in this time period).

Some notes I can provide:

1.) The bedroom temperature is already much better at night.
2.) Setting up the Ecobee is a little more challenging than a Nest (if you do not have a C-wire). It's not extremely difficult by any means, however.
3.) The stock firmware on the Ecobee is horrible. It was causing quite a few annoyances that had me ready to return the thing. Ecobee has since flashed it with the latest firmware and every single issue has disappeared.
Keep those updates coming... my future t-stat depends on you sir.
Unread 2015-08-08, 11:02 PM   #92
More awesomer than you

Post Thanks / Like

Now that I have a week under my belt, I've made a decision on which thermostat to keep. The Nest is back on the wall. Why? In theory, the Ecobee should be the winner. In practice, the Ecobee just isn't quite there yet.

The software is buggy. They come out with firmware updates constantly (I had three firmware updates this week alone!), but each firmware update fixes something and causes something else to act up. My first issues were the thermostat wasn't even remotely getting an accurate temperature reading so it was either running constantly or not running at all (and the house would be boiling hot). Adding sensors fixed that. But that created a new issue in that when we were not home the sensors were thinking we were and turning the A/C on. A firmware update fixed that and things were pretty swell until the outside temperature one day last week was pretty low. For some reason that day the Ecobee registered that one room was hot and ran the A/C for 11 hours trying to cool it down. The entire house was FREEZING. Two rooms were registering 66 degrees when I had the thermostat set to 74! Another Ecobee firmware update fixed that issue, but then sensors were re-assigning themselves on their own and participating in modes they should not have been participating in. At that point I gave up because as I tried to update the thermostat settings it froze and I had to reset it by pulling it off the wall and plugging it back in.

If it worked, it'd be awesome. It doesn't. The system is extremely buggy. I wasn't impressed with their customer service either. It is praised online, but they were robots when I called in. No matter what the problem, they told me to do the same fixes and then they'd push a firmware update. When I called back in, same deal. I'm sorry, but resetting a sensor does not fix a thermostat that is locked up.

So yeah, tomorrow I return it all and get my money back. It was worth a try, but it's a system that still needs a lot of sorting before I'd recommend it to anyone. I hooked my Nest back up tonight and I'm already relieved to have it back.

Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks KUweatherman thanked for this post

Last edited by Username:*; 2015-08-08 at 11:07 PM..
Unread 2015-08-25, 09:13 AM   #93
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

FCC Filings Suggest New Nest Thermostat Will Arrive Soon

It looks like Nest is almost ready for to show the world an updated Nest Thermostat. Thursday Nest revealed in an FCC filing that it has a new device but asked the agency to keep all information including pictures and user manuals a secret until it can be announced. All the information we have is the FCC ID which is ZQAT30. To anyone off the street that doesn’t mean anything but to the insiders in the tech field it didn’t take long to figure out that the “AT” in the past has stood for thermostat. So there is not much information working for us here but it looks like the best possible answer right now. Other product lines from Nest have different ID’s so it looks like this is a new thermostat which is similar to other thermostats and keeping its circular shape.
For anyone who has yet to see a Nest thermostat or totally understand what they can do the answer to that is endless possibilities. Now some people will ask why am I going to pay so much for a simple thermostat but they don’t understand just how cool this device is. So to start the Nest Thermostat controls your heating and cooling systems just like any other thermostat. That is the basic function of this whole thing. You can now control your system by using your smartphone, internet, or SmartWatch. This is the ultimate device for any couch potato out there. You can also use internet recipes from IFTTT (If This Then That) which makes the options almost endless of what you can do with your Nest. There are partner companies that equipping their devices with the ability to talk with Nest. Your washer and dryer, garage door, and yes even your car will all pair with Nest and perform different predescribed functions.
Now Nest is part of the Alphabet family (formerly Google) and this is shaping up to be the first device released under the new Alphabet umbrella but that shouldn’t change what we expect from them. The Nest team produces a lot of great products which all pair nicely with the growing smart, home, watch, phone world.
There were reports last month about Apple pulling Nest products off their shelves and thought it was due to the Google vs Apple rivalry but it could be something as simple as they were making room for new Nest products. Anything is possible in this day and age with the speed of news and the information superhighway we have today there are a few different options to this story but what we do know is Nest has something new in the works and I am sure it will be a hit like previous products.

Unread 2015-08-25, 09:30 AM   #94
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like

So in conducting all of the research that I have done, I have come to some conclusions.

If you want a intelligent thermostat that manages itself, has it's own integrated scheduling and control, than the Nest is a fantastic thermostat.

If you are wanting to integrate into full home automation through a singular interface, the Nest can be overkill, unless you are using the Nest software to automate. Doing this will limit you more so than other systems out there, however it is growing in support.

Unread 2015-08-26, 07:21 PM   #95
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

This is Probably What the New Nest (3rd Gen) Looks Like

Well, that picture above is of the box that it may or may not come in, from what I’ve been told. In fact, that box could just be the box that Nest is sending to testers to house the new Nest Thermostat. Below, you will find what is more than likely an image of the brand new Nest Learning Thermostat (3rd gen).
Why do I say that? Take a look closely at the comparison of the picture labeled “new” to the picture labeled “old.” See the difference? Yep, the display. The brand new Nest, which we are pretty damn sure cruised through the FCC last week under FCCID ZQAT30, has a bigger display than its 2nd gen brother.
Outside of that, well, it’s anyone’s guess as to what Nest packed inside there. My guess is that it’ll ship with newer software and have improve sensors. But I think the big deal here is the display. Who doesn’t love a brand new, big ol’ display?
As we learn more, we’ll do our best to pass it all along.

Unread 2015-08-29, 03:31 PM   #96
Dr.John
Retired

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 30
Thanks (Received): 451
Likes (Given): 463
Likes (Received): 2440
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLM View Post
That is the Keen product: http://www.keenhome.io/

I have been waiting for these (or something similar that integrates with Nest controllers) since I heard about them! This is the next step in HVAC control, I think.
Unread 2015-09-01, 09:38 AM   #97
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Google's Nest retools its signature thermostat

(Photo: Nest)

12 CONNECT 11 TWEETLINKEDIN 4 COMMENTEMAILMORE

SAN FRANCISCO — Nest's signature connected-home thermostat is getting a redesign that leaves the pioneering Internet of Things product with a slimmer look and higher resolution screen.
The newest Nest Learning Thermostat, the third-generation of the device which debuted in 2011 from ex-Apple engineers Tony Fadell and Matt Rogers, seems particularly attuned to the needs of sight-challenged baby boomers. Its thinner, hockey puck-sized circular face now dedicates 40% more real estate to graphics that are 25% crisper than Nest 2.0.
New features include Farsight, which allows users to set the thermostat to wake up its screen when it senses a presence across the room, as opposed to the standard three-foot distance. Nest can be programmed to display either the target temperature or the time. Another addition is Furnace Heads-Up, which alerts users to any patterns in furnace/air conditioning system overheating.
The $249 device is available Tuesday at Nest.com and Amazon.com, and is coming soon to big box stores such as Best Buy, Lowe's and The Home Depot. The second-generation Nest will drop to $199 at select retailers.
"Millions of Nest homes around the world have saved approximately four billion kilowatt hours of energy compared to what they would have used if they'd left their thermostats at a consistent temperature," says Maxime Veron, Nest's head of hardware product marketing.
The new generation Nest Thermostat will be available at 7,000 retail locations and from 25,000 Nest Pro Installers, as well as energy and enterprise partners that may ofter the smart thermostat at a discount or no cost.
Nest founder Tony Fadell lays out the company's growing portfolio of products, which now includes a third update to its first device, the Nest Learning Thermostat. (Photo: Eric Risberg, AP)

For example, SunEdison will provide the new Nest Thermostat for free to residents in California, New York, and Massachusetts who sign up for a SunEdison Power Purchase Agreement, while Georgia-based Infinite Energy will do the same for residents opting for its fixed-rate two-year plan.
Since introducing the first Nest product, the company has added the Nest Protect smoke and carbon monoxide detector and the Nest Cam security camera to its portfolio, the latter by virtue of its $555 million acquisition of Dropcam last summer.
Search giant Google bought Nest for $3.2 billion in January 2014. Earlier this year, Fadell was charging with taking over the company's Google Glass project, after the wearable computer rollout didn't catch on with mainstream consumers.
Google recently announced it would be creating a new parent company called Alphabet. While no details have yet surfaced about the operational structure of Alphabet's myriad portfolio companies such as Nest and Glass, tech industry observers think the move could bring greater autonomy as well as product speed-to-market.
That would be good news for Nest. The Internet of Things pie promises to be massive, giving the shrinking size and price of its related technology. By 2020, there are expected to be some 25 billion connected devices globally, according to Gartner. Most of those will live either at our offices or in our homes.

Unread 2015-09-01, 10:11 AM   #98
V-dubbin

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 123
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 804
Likes (Received): 513
Dislikes (Given): 56
Dislikes (Received): 254

So I just bought a house. How do I know if one of these would replace my thermostat I have now?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
V-dubbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2015-09-01, 10:14 AM   #99
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-dubbin View Post
So I just bought a house. How do I know if one of these would replace my thermostat I have now?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

AH, here is where Nest makes it easier vs the competition (& after I noticed on FB someone questioning install for a different brand)

1. Take a picture of your existing wiring
2. Could check with the Nest info off their site or
3. Send Nest a picture of your wiring and then contact their tech support, tell them you emailed a pic (give them your email address) so they can look for it in the mailbox

They will tell you yes or no

Unread 2015-09-02, 06:11 PM   #100
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

New Nest 3rd-Gen: Should you upgrade?

Just when you'd learned to love that nosey "learning thermostat" on the wall, watching as you and your family went about your day, here's Nest with a new model. Nest v.3, announced earlier today, promises much the same as its predecessors, with intelligent understanding of when people are home and when they're away. Question is, should existing owners be thinking about upgrading?

As we've seen in the past, Nest isn't afraid of pushing out new features to existing owners, just as long as that can be delivered via software. Most recently, for instance, a new update added protection from smoke and temperature extremes.

Indeed, much of the headline improvements in this 3rd-gen Nest will be coming out to existing 1st- and 2nd-gen owners in the coming months. Furnace Heads-Up looks at how often heating and forced-air furnaces are going into automatic shutoff - which can be triggered if they overheat - and twice a year runs a diagnostic.
It's a useful addition, but you don't need Nest 3 to get it. In fact, existing Nest units will get the same feature later this year.
The other changes cause more of a problem, however, since they're new hardware. Some can be discounted relatively easily for current Nest owners: the fact that the v.3 model is 0.05-inches more flush to the wall, at 1.21-inches deep, than its predecessor is unlikely to make much of a difference to anybody.
However the bigger screen is a different matter. That now clocks in at 2.08-inches diameter, approximately 40-percent bigger than the 1.75-inch screen on the older models. It's higher in resolution, too: 480 x 480 versus 320 x 320.
Paired with a more long-sighted proximity sensor, which can spot people from across the room, it allows Nest 3 to show the current temperature (or indeed a clock, either analog or digital) in numbers big enough to see at a distance.

Nest calls it Farsight, and how useful it is will depend on where your Nest is located and how you like to interact with it. Certainly, in the company's nicely-staged press shots where the thermostat has pride of place on a wall in the middle of a room, it could be very handy to be able to glance across and see the current target temperature.
If, like many, your thermostat is in your hallway, or somewhere similarly out of the way, though, the opportunities for Farsight may be more infrequent.
The last thing to consider is your network. If you've ever had issues with your Nest dropping off your WiFi connection, you might be eager to know that the 3rd-gen model adds WiFi b/g/n 5GHz to the existing 2.4GHz of the previous models.
Assuming your router is compatible - most recently-sold ones are - the 5GHz band should give you better range, a real boon if your internet connection arrives in a distant home office but your thermostat is far off with several walls in-between the two.
There's no denying that the features are neat additions, especially since the 3rd-gen Nest is still $249 as before. The bigger bargain, though, could be yours if you act fast: stores with lingering stock of the Nest v2 will be selling it for $199.

Tags
automation, aware, dropcam, google, nest