Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Computers, Teh Interweb, Gaming, Electronics

Unread 2015-06-11, 01:00 PM   #51
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyLee View Post
I'm messing around with home automation with my new build. Due to the plethora of products out there, I am happy when I find ones that fall under an API or some standard. Z-Wave and IFTTT compatibility seem to be the way to go currently.
I think at the beginning Nest as supported IFTTT protocols when they set out to create the thermostat https://ifttt.com/nest_thermostat

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2015-06-11, 01:13 PM   #52
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 255
Likes (Given): 61
Likes (Received): 1926
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLM View Post
I think at the beginning Nest as supported IFTTT protocols when they set out to create the thermostat https://ifttt.com/nest_thermostat
Still can't bring myself to buy a Nest until they lower the price. You can get many products out there that do all the same things for about half the price.

BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2015-06-11, 01:29 PM   #53
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

the way I looked @ it, it was a 1 time deal pulled the trigger set it and forgot about it

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes KUweatherman liked this post
Unread 2015-06-11, 02:09 PM   #54
KUweatherman
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 402
Thanks (Received): 363
Likes (Given): 4962
Likes (Received): 2124
Dislikes (Given): 121
Dislikes (Received): 174

Quote:
Still can't bring myself to buy a Nest until they lower the price. You can get many products out there that do all the same things for about half the price.
You'll spend more on beer in 6-12 months than the Nest...which will control your home's temp for years and years to come.
Unread 2015-06-11, 02:21 PM   #55
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUweatherman View Post
You'll spend more on beer in 6-12 months than the Nest...which will control your home's temp for years and years to come.
You're paying for a name and design, nothing more. For $100 you can pick up a Z-wave compatible thermostat. It might not look as pretty since it isn't round, but it does the same stuff. That's what's held me back.

Unread 2015-06-11, 03:08 PM   #56
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

I think with Google's backing and the guy behind the Ipod along with the future of Automation the only thing Nest can do is grow. I am sure others will make similar products etc.. .will be nice to see the segment grow

Unread 2015-06-11, 03:41 PM   #57
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLM View Post
I think with Google's backing and the guy behind the Ipod along with the future of Automation the only thing Nest can do is grow. I am sure others will make similar products etc.. .will be nice to see the segment grow
Don't forget their purchase of Smart Home. Open zwave control platform.

Unread 2015-06-11, 03:44 PM   #58
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Don't forget their purchase of Smart Home. Open zwave control platform.
Ah, forgot about Nest making that purchase

Google's Nest Acquires Smart Home Hub Startup Revolv To Control Every Device In Your Home

Nest, best known for its “learning thermostat,” has made another step into being the center of the smart home world. Today it announced it has acquired smart home hub startup Revolv.
Financial details of the acquisition were not disclosed. The deal closed this morning, according to Nest PR.
Colorado-based Revolv made a hardware hub with a bunch of radios packed inside to make all the various smart home devices talk to each other. Through the Revolv app, you could sync up smart home interactions.
“Nest bought a team of people knowledgable in the interoperability of a wide variety of radio technology and software protocols in order to make integration easier for partners and customers,” said Forrester analyst Frank Gillett.
The Revolv hub will not be sold anymore. Instead, Revolv will work on Nest’s open API program called “Works with Nest” to “continue to unify the connected home,” according to Revolv’s website.
“It isn’t about turning Works with Nest into a business,” Nest co-founder Matt Rogers told the Verge. “It’s about building the platform so other people can build their businesses on it. We’ll sell more Nest products into a richer ecosystem.”
This is Nest’s second acquisition since Google GOOGL -0.33% acquired the Palo Alto-based company in January for $3.2 billion in cash. In June, Nest purchased cloud-based home security camera maker Dropcam for $555 million. Nest had used Google cash to make the acquisition.
Revolv had been working on Nest’s “Work With Nest” program for a while now. Nest announced another five partners today: ivee, Life360, Pebble, Rachio and SNUPI Technologies.
These new partnerships will do things like allow Nest to better know when family members are away from home with family app Life360 or control your thermostat from your Pebble watch.
Revolv had won praise from critics for being easy to use, but the $300 price tag was likely a bit too much for consumers to swallow. And the concept of a hub wasn’t likely to resonate with mainstream consumers who are still getting used to the idea of putting internet-connected gadgets into their home. This is likely the reason why the company will cease selling the hardware component.
“Nobody right now is making money at the hub level,” Revolv cofounder Mike Soucie told me in July. “There’s a lot of betting on the long-term future and willingness to take losses. That’s where the market is–placing bets on the future.”

Revolv had only raised $4 million in venture capital to date in a Series A round last november.
Revolv’s expertise is in making smart home products talk to each other. Now that it’s a part of one of the biggest players in the connected home, it doesn’t have to worry about the pains of hardware sales. And Nest can find more ways to be the centerpiece of the smart home.
Revolv’s main competitor in smart home hub category was SmartThings, which was acquired by Samsung in August.

Unread 2015-06-11, 05:13 PM   #59
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I meant Smart Things

Unread 2015-06-17, 11:48 AM   #60
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Nest Cam Will Cost $199, Up for Pre-Order Now at Best Buy

Not that you doubted our exclusive report on the Nest Cam, but it’s all now confirmed prior to today’s Nest event, thanks to Best Buy.The Nest Cam will go up for pre-order today at $199 at places like Best Buy. We would assume that Amazon, Google Store, and Nest’s own store will sell them as well.
Like the Dropcam, which this device seems to be modeled after, this is a wireless IP camera that comes with a free companion app, so that you can view footage from your mobile device. It sends out notifications to your phone for motion or sound detection, records in 1080p, lets you see at night with infrared night vision, has 8x zoom, 130-degree field of view, allows you talk two-ways, and includes wall-mounting hardware.
Best Buy Link

Unread 2015-06-17, 04:24 PM   #61
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Nest introduces next generation Protect Smoke + CO Detector for $99.99

Alongside a new IP camera, Nest today released a 2nd generation version of their Protect Smoke + CO Detector. So what’s new over the previous model? For starters, battery life is extended from a cool 7 years to a whopping 10+ years. Most people recommend changing fire alarm batteries at least once per year to be on the safe side so we’re not sure , but it’s nice to know that the Nest can last much longer.

The new Protect also adds a split-spectrum humidity sensor to better differentiate between steam and fire smoke (because nothing is more annoying than your fire alarm going off just because you decided to stir fry some vegetables). Protect can also be silenced from your phone with the new app, which could prove to be a nice convenience feature for those moments when you can’t quite get to the smoke detector (and hopefully not because there’s a massive fire blocking the way).

That function can be accessed through Nest’s latest app that acts as a hub to control all their products. Beyond all that, it’s gotten a touch of refinement in its chassis, and still maintains the same $99.99 price tag.
No reason not to go with this one if you don’t already have the previous model. For everyone else? It’s up to you to decide whether the battery and sensor improvements are worth buying 2015’s rendition. It’s up for order right now on Google Play.

Unread 2015-06-17, 05:05 PM   #62
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Meet the all-new Nest Protect

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly.

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=METDdcmklVE

Unread 2015-06-17, 05:07 PM   #63
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Meet Nest Cam

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly.

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orc5fBf14vs

Unread 2015-06-17, 06:22 PM   #64
KUweatherman
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 402
Thanks (Received): 363
Likes (Given): 4962
Likes (Received): 2124
Dislikes (Given): 121
Dislikes (Received): 174

It was kind of mentioned above but the Nest app got a huge overhaul today too.
Unread 2015-06-17, 06:52 PM   #65
MymonteSS

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 23
Likes (Received): 119
Dislikes (Given): 21
Dislikes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUweatherman View Post
It was kind of mentioned above but the Nest app got a huge overhaul today too.
I like it
Unread 2015-06-17, 07:29 PM   #66
Mobbes

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 47
Thanks (Received): 79
Likes (Given): 161
Likes (Received): 357
Dislikes (Given): 2
Dislikes (Received): 8

I have been contemplating getting a nest for a while. KCPL just sent me an offer to get a free thermostat install and its a "smart" thermostat as well. Trying to decide what to do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar
New aids is still aids.
Mobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2015-06-17, 07:34 PM   #67
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

NEST >*

Unread 2015-06-18, 12:58 PM   #68
Mobbes

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 47
Thanks (Received): 79
Likes (Given): 161
Likes (Received): 357
Dislikes (Given): 2
Dislikes (Received): 8

Thanks for that info Jason....ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar
New aids is still aids.
Mobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2015-06-18, 01:29 PM   #69
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

I've had my nest for about 2 years now, I also moved into a bigger house (vs my old one) 3000 sq ft (vs whatever the old one was) spent $ on new windows etc... moved here and my bills have been significantly lower the whole time

Unread 2015-06-18, 01:49 PM   #70
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like

So I know that Google bot Revolv, but does it have anything on the market currently that currently allows the Nest family as well as third party products to connect to it and control them all from a single interface?

Unread 2015-06-18, 01:53 PM   #71
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
So I know that Google bot Revolv, but does it have anything on the market currently that currently allows the Nest family as well as third party products to connect to it and control them all from a single interface?

I have not heard much of that purchase except when it 1st happened and then the other day when you mentioned it, the Nest Cam is the 1st "Nest/Google" product to come out of the Dropcam purchase so maybe they are waiting on move product.

Unread 2015-06-18, 01:54 PM   #72
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like

The lack of a home automation standard is hurting this industry. I think that's why I am so stuck on Z-Wave tech as it is a least found in a lot of home automation products. That way I don't have to only buy one brand of hardware.

Unread 2015-06-18, 01:59 PM   #73
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

It's "new" and with anything the larger companies will buy out the smaller ones to eliminate or bring them into the mix

Unread 2015-06-18, 02:19 PM   #74
Username:*
More awesomer than you

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 54
Thanks (Received): 167
Likes (Given): 335
Likes (Received): 997
Dislikes (Given): 6
Dislikes (Received): 10

2.5 years in and our Nest Thermostat is working great. I don't even remember the last time I looked at it.

We're 1.5 years in with a Nest Protect and I've had zero issues with it as well. I absolutely love that I walk into the house, the Protect detects me, and the A/C or heat kicks on. Such a cool feature!
Username:* is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2015-06-18, 02:39 PM   #75
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username:* View Post
2.5 years in and our Nest Thermostat is working great. I don't even remember the last time I looked at it.

We're 1.5 years in with a Nest Protect and I've had zero issues with it as well. I absolutely love that I walk into the house, the Protect detects me, and the A/C or heat kicks on. Such a cool feature!
That's cool and all but wouldn't you want it to have the house already cool before you get there vs begin to cool once you do get there?

Tags
automation, aware, dropcam, google, nest