Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Computers, Teh Interweb, Gaming, Electronics

Unread 2014-04-02, 10:21 AM   #26
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Nest's Learning Thermostat lands in the UK for £179

Nest officially entered the UK market last year with the launch of its smoke and carbon monoxide detector Protect, but curiously, the Learning Thermostat the company's known for remained exclusive to North America. That changes today, however, with immediate availability of the clever thermostat across the UK. The now Google-owned Nest actually starting working towards the launch over a year ago, but unlike the US and Canada where temperature control systems are fairly standardized and digital thermostats extremely common, Brits have an eclectic mix of boiler setups, and analog/digital thermostats. Making the Learning Thermostat compatible with all these arrangements meant Nest had to conjure up some additional hardware in the form of Heat Link: a box that jacks directly into your boiler and takes orders from the thermostat. You can use existing wall wiring to directly connect the two, but they can just as easily communicate over WiFi all the same.
Nest Learning Thermostat UK launch

See all photos 9 Photos

An optional, £29 stand for the thermostat is also exclusive to the UK market, if mounting isn't appropriate. Otherwise, the thermostat is equipped with all the same fancy features and learning capabilities that Nest believes elevates its product above UK competitors like British Gas' Hive Active Heating or Honeywell's evohome. You can pick up a Learning Thermostat for £179 today from Nest's own website and Amazon, or online and in-store at Apple, John Lewis and B&Q. Professional installation is highly recommended, and for any purchases before April 8th, it's free as long as you redeem the offer within 10 days (Nest can put you in touch with over 200 certified installers across the UK) -- a thermostat plus installation will set you back £249 if you can't take advantage of that deal, or decide you'd rather hold off until winter. Nest has also established a partnership with energy provider npower, which will begin offering thermostat packages in the near future. Furthermore, Nest plans to release a whitepaper later this week detailing how much money its Learning Thermostat can save Brits, and how it arrived at those figures. The UK is just the first step outside of North America for Nest, but certainly not its last, as plans to "aggressively expand" across Europe are under way.

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-04-02, 11:07 AM   #27
06g35meister

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 35
Thanks (Received): 63
Likes (Given): 102
Likes (Received): 382
Dislikes (Given): 6
Dislikes (Received): 14

If they talk to each other so 2 units can compliment instead of fight each other I will buy them. Otherwise sticking to my programmable "dumb" units.
06g35meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-04-02, 11:08 AM   #28
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

http://support.nest.com/article/How-...-the-same-home

Unread 2014-04-23, 02:52 PM   #29
KUweatherman
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 402
Thanks (Received): 363
Likes (Given): 4967
Likes (Received): 2124
Dislikes (Given): 121
Dislikes (Received): 174

You can buy the Nest on Google Play now.

https://play.google.com/store/device...est_thermostat
Unread 2014-04-25, 08:22 AM   #30
MxYfz2008

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 8
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 40
Likes (Received): 82
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 5

I think it would be well worth it! I just dont think i can justify it living in an apartment
Unread 2014-04-25, 08:26 AM   #31
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxYfz2008 View Post
I think it would be well worth it! I just dont think i can justify it living in an apartment

if you did it just keep your old unit and swap it out when you move/leave

Unread 2014-04-25, 10:29 AM   #32
MymonteSS

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 23
Likes (Received): 119
Dislikes (Given): 21
Dislikes (Received): 1

They are pretty handy to have. Love mine so far. I'm waiting for the smoke detector to become available again and I'll get one of those
Unread 2014-04-25, 10:46 AM   #33
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by MymonteSS View Post
They are pretty handy to have. Love mine so far. I'm waiting for the smoke detector to become available again and I'll get one of those
I've been enjoying mine so far, it was nice to see when the furnace ran over the winter and this will be my 1st time in the house all summer so I will have to mess w/ the settings again

Unread 2014-04-25, 01:08 PM   #34
KUweatherman
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 402
Thanks (Received): 363
Likes (Given): 4967
Likes (Received): 2124
Dislikes (Given): 121
Dislikes (Received): 174

They're great at this time of year too with the Heat/Cool setting. You don't have to worry about switching from heat at night to AC during the day. It does it automatically.
Unread 2014-05-27, 08:55 AM   #35
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Google and Nest apparently want to watch you sleep next

Google and Nest are reportedly interested in providing some sort of home surveillance equipment and support in the future, The Information has learned, as the Search giant may make another purchase to help with such plans. Google is apparently looking into buying camera startup Dropcam, although it’s not clear whether the two parties will go ahead with these moves.
“The status of any talks between Google and Dropcam, which makes a $150 camera that streams footage to phones and computers, isn’t clear,” the publication wrote. “Spokespeople for both companies did not respond to requests for comment.”
Apparently Apple, which is also developing its own smart home product which will be unveiled at WWDC 2014 next week, is also interested in what Dropcam has to offer. Similarly, other companies have reached out to Dropcam, looking to purchase the company, the publication notes.
Dropcam’s camera can be connected to a home’s Wi-Fi network and will stream footage to an app that can be installed on smartphones, tablets and PCs. The camera records 720p HD video, features Night Vision and Zoom support, and offers Cloud Video Recording. An improved Dropcam Pro version costs $199.
In addition to the surveillance cameras, Dropcam also has $29 Tabs available for pre-order, which are USB stick-like movement sensors that can connect to the Dropcam Pro camera via Bluetooth, and send notifications to smartphones, allowing homeowners to also keep an eye on areas of the house that are out of the Dropcam’s reach.
Google has recently revealed that it has plenty of ad-related plans for the smart home, as it wants to display ads on various connected appliances in the future. Providing security features to homeowners seems to fit with its home-related plans, where Nest will likely play a major role. The latter, however, denied that ads are coming to the Nest thermostat, distancing itself again from Google’s advertising business.

Unread 2014-05-27, 01:25 PM   #36
kcstreeter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 86
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 16

No thanks. Im quite happy with my dumb thermostat.
kcstreeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-06-20, 07:21 PM   #37
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Google and Nest buy Dropcam for $555 million

Nest has just acquired Wi-Fi video streaming camera company Dropcam for $555 million. As you know, it was just a few months ago that Google acquired Nest for $3.2 billion. This move will bring Dropcam into the Google family.
Full press release from Nest below:
Nest and Dropcam Sign Acquisition Agreement
Nest announced today that it has entered into an agreement to buy Dropcam for $555 million in cash, subject to adjustments.
Palo Alto, California — June 20, 2014 — Nest Labs, Inc. (nest.com) announced today that it has entered into an agreement to buy Dropcam for $555 million in cash, subject to adjustments.
The transaction is subject to customary closing conditions, including the receipt of regulatory approvals in the US. For more information, visit the Nest blog.
About Nest
Nest reinvents unloved but important home products, like the thermostat and smoke and CO alarm. The company focuses on delighting customers with simple, beautiful and thoughtful hardware, software and services. The Nest Learning Thermostat™ and Nest Energy Services offerings address home energy consumption, and Nest Protect: Smoke + Carbon Monoxide™ helps keep people safe. Nest products are sold in the U.S., U.K. and Canada, and are installed in more than 120 countries. For more information, visit www.nest.com.

Unread 2014-06-20, 08:00 PM   #38
milanoGSRteg

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 124
Thanks (Received): 111
Likes (Given): 1274
Likes (Received): 577
Dislikes (Given): 216
Dislikes (Received): 272

I have a nest thermostat and its pretty sweet if i say so myself.
Unread 2014-06-24, 06:31 AM   #39
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Google announces smart home API for Nest, brings third-party integration

Google has launched a "Works with Nest" certification program and API that allows third-party companies to communicate with Nest's Learning Thermostat and the Nest Protect smoke detector.
Companies initially in the certification program included IFTTT, Jawbone, LIFX, Logitech, Mercedes-Benz, Whirlpool, Chamberlain, and Google. Nest's program website lists several use-cases highlighting the integration with other connected devices, like the ability to connect a Mercedes car to Nest to inform when you will be home so that the the thermostat can automatically initiate the cooling or heating cycle before you arrive.
Similarly, you can now connect a Jawbone UP24 to a Nest thermostat, which automatically changes the temperature levels in your house when it detects that you're sleeping, and when you're awake. Google is also set to join in on the fun, and has mentioned that Google Now integration would be coming to the thermostat sometime in the fall.
Greg Hu, senior product manager at Nest, said that the program was about giving connected home products access to Nest's products. The integration will work differently based on the product that the thermostat is sharing data with. For instance, Wi-Fi LED lightbulb maker LIFX was able to leverage this platform to turn all smart bulbs in a house red whenever the Nest protect detected smoke, adding a visual cue to the auditory alarm.
The inclusion of automation service IFTTT allows further avenues in which Nest sensor data can be utilized and extended. Using IFTTT, you can create text alerts to notify you whenever the CO or temperature levels rise.
Nest co-founder and engineering head Matt Rogers revealed during the announcement that the Nest APIs will be cross-platform, and that the same set of features will be offered to both iOS and Android users. "The home shouldn't be a platform war," Rogers said. "We're going to be neutral. Switzerland."
While the initiative is getting off the ground now, Rogers mentioned that the groundwork for the program has been going on behind the scenes for the better part of a year. Nest integration with other products will likely be a talking point at this year's Google I/O, which kicks off tomorrow. We'll have live coverage form the event starting with the keynote, so make sure you stay tuned to Android Central!

Unread 2014-06-24, 08:42 AM   #40
Hummer

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 55
Thanks (Received): 24
Likes (Given): 200
Likes (Received): 118
Dislikes (Given): 3

Taco Bell ads better not start showing up on my Nest.
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-06-24, 08:45 AM   #41
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

It's not ads they are going for the "connected home" concept ie: garage doors, lights, the drop cam will most likely play a part in it

Unread 2014-06-24, 01:56 PM   #42
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly.

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPdltu-93pM

Unread 2014-06-24, 02:28 PM   #43
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUweatherman View Post
They're great at this time of year too with the Heat/Cool setting. You don't have to worry about switching from heat at night to AC during the day. It does it automatically.
I want the demo video. "Ok Google, open the garage door." "Ok Google, turn on the porch light."

It could also move beyond the motion sensor thing to know to turn off lights, TVs, turn up the temp, etc when everyones phones leave the house. And turn them back on when you get home. Id love to have my entry light do that, so you aren't walking into a dark house.
Unread 2014-11-04, 10:08 AM   #44
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Better learning. More saving. Your Nest Learning Thermostat is about to get new software. The update refines Auto-Schedule for added energy savings and makes the thermostat even easier to use. Enhanced Auto-Schedule
It’s better at learning new schedules and adapting to changes. That helps you save 6% more on heating and cooling. Quick View
Push the display to see weather, outdoor temp, and humidity. Turn the ring for a quick summary of your energy usage yesterday, upcoming schedule, and settings. System Test
To make sure your heating and cooling systems are working, your thermostat can run a System Test. It takes you through basic functions so you can spot and solve any issues. Your Nest Learning Thermostat will automatically
update with the new software in about a week.
Learn more about the 4.3 update >

Unread 2014-11-05, 12:53 AM   #45
MymonteSS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLM View Post
Better learning. More saving. Your Nest Learning Thermostat is about to get new software. The update refines Auto-Schedule for added energy savings and makes the thermostat even easier to use. Enhanced Auto-Schedule
It’s better at learning new schedules and adapting to changes. That helps you save 6% more on heating and cooling. Quick View
Push the display to see weather, outdoor temp, and humidity. Turn the ring for a quick summary of your energy usage yesterday, upcoming schedule, and settings. System Test
To make sure your heating and cooling systems are working, your thermostat can run a System Test. It takes you through basic functions so you can spot and solve any issues. Your Nest Learning Thermostat will automatically
update with the new software in about a week.
Learn more about the 4.3 update >

Did not know it could do updates. That's pretty cool. Guess I should tell the girlfriend so she doesn't freak out when our nest is doin stuff.
Unread 2015-01-06, 09:23 AM   #46
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

"What works with Nest"

Since CES is going on

https://nest.com/works-with-nest/

Unread 2015-01-06, 12:51 PM   #47
MymonteSS

Post Thanks / Like

I connected my nest stuff to my phillips hue just yesterday.
Unread 2015-06-04, 06:09 PM   #48
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Nest Press Conference Announced For June 17th

Ever since Google purchased Nest, there hasn’t been anything new from the company in terms of products, as they still only offer the two items which they’ve always been selling since the company began, which includes the Nest Smart Thermostat and the Nest Protect smoke detector. That may be changing in the near future as Nest has begun to announce they have a press event to hold on June 17th, which may or may not be an event to talk about upcoming new products to add the smart home setup which they currently offer. The invites merely mention the date of the event without talking about any other details, so there is little to go off of for the time being.
Out of pure speculation however, if Nest were to hold an event for new products, this would be the first time they have released something new after Google acquired them, and after Nest acquired Dropcam last year. Considering these two details, it is entirely possible Nest may have something completely new in the works for a smart home security camera setup using the technology they gained in the Dropcam acquisition. The Nest press conference is about a week and a half away, so it won’t be long before we find out what the company has in store officially.
With Nest being under the Google umbrella, it’s a wonder if Nest will announce anything that has to do with Google’s recently announced Internet of Things platform Brillo. Perhaps they’ll have something to unveil which works with the Brillo platform for a release later on in the year when Brillo is scheduled to launch, perhaps not, but either way a new device added to the Nest product lineup would be beneficial for Nest to expand on their offerings in a space where other companies already have much more to offer in terms of product options. Back in March it was discovered that Nest was looking for someone to fill the role of the lead person on their Nest Audio team, so maybe Nest has something to announce that has to do with connect home speakers.

Unread 2015-06-11, 12:31 PM   #49
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Nest’s first camera has been leaked ahead of June 17th event

Our sources have been telling us that Nest will be making their own-branded camera following their acquisition of Dropcam, and that they’ll tie all their products together with a new multi-functional app. That information seems to have been spot on, if this leak is to be trusted.
What we’re getting is a very Dropcam-esque camera, except more slim and sleek than prior models. The camera will have a suction and swiveling base for flexible placement, and there’s a clean nest logo placed firmly beneath the lens. We also learn that the camera will use Bluetooth and QR codes for easy pairing (its recent FCC appearance confirms Bluetooth), as well as the ability to support 1080p video streams.

We’re also getting a first look at the new Nest app, which will no doubt allow you to control your Thermostat, Protect and Camera from one convenient location. The app doesn’t appear to show any hints of between Nest’s products, but there’s a chance we could be in for a surprise come June 17th (the day the announcement is scheduled to go down).

Unread 2015-06-11, 12:47 PM   #50
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 257
Likes (Given): 61
Likes (Received): 1932
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 35

I'm messing around with home automation with my new build. Due to the plethora of products out there, I am happy when I find ones that fall under an API or some standard. Z-Wave and IFTTT compatibility seem to be the way to go currently.

BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
automation, aware, dropcam, google, nest