Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Computers, Teh Interweb, Gaming, Electronics

Unread 2017-02-08, 07:16 AM   #101
NachO_SRT

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 30
Thanks (Received): 73
Likes (Given): 103
Likes (Received): 332
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowTA View Post
Has anyone switched to Fi lately or are still using it? I am curious how the reception is now and if its worth considering as a switch from a grandfathered ATT unlimited data plan?
Fi Subscriber here - Your question is loaded, how much data do you use? Do yu use WiFi connections when you can?

Fi is different, it will use WiFi when it can, and when it can't you pay for the data on the cellular network(s) your using.

Before Fi I averaged about 7-10GB/Month - After Fi (My use patterns did not change) I'm using 2.5-3.5 GB/Month of Cellular data, and another 4-6GB/Month on the WiFi connections.
http://www.kcsr.org/signaturepics/sigpic826_1.gif
Quote:
Science will fly you to Mars, Religion will fly you into a building - N. Ruth
Nemo me impune lacessit
NachO_SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-02-08, 10:35 AM   #102
Karlen

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 887
Thanks (Received): 482
Likes (Given): 4078
Likes (Received): 4368
Dislikes (Given): 99
Dislikes (Received): 168

I'm using 2-4gb usually and one high month of 6. So far I'm saving about $30/mo over my old sprint plan
Karlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-02-08, 10:59 AM   #103
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 207
Thanks (Received): 252
Likes (Given): 2471
Likes (Received): 1665
Dislikes (Given): 24
Dislikes (Received): 47

I switched from FI (~$50-60/mo) to ATT (now paying $115/mo).

I switched because I use my phone for work, and when it stopped working (warranty claim, not using insurance and not my fault it broke) Google said they couldn't get me a replacement for 5 days. I can't go 5 days without a phone, and because you can only put like 4 phones on that network, I couldn't use an old phone. I can't go a full fucking week without a cellphone, that's totally unacceptable. Having a brick and mortar building to go to for services is so much quicker and easier in cases like this.

Besides that though, the service with ATT isn't really much better. I feel like I didn't have a choice because of the above, but removing that from the equation, I am paying twice as much for negligibly better service (though I also worry much less about data usage now, which is very nice) and a much bigger selection of phone options. Again, not considering the above scenario, I do think FI is worth it.
Keboh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-02-08, 11:13 PM   #104
SlowTA

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 34
Thanks (Received): 43
Likes (Given): 121
Likes (Received): 132
Dislikes (Given): 2
Dislikes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachO_SRT View Post
Fi Subscriber here - Your question is loaded, how much data do you use? Do yu use WiFi connections when you can?

Fi is different, it will use WiFi when it can, and when it can't you pay for the data on the cellular network(s) your using.

Before Fi I averaged about 7-10GB/Month - After Fi (My use patterns did not change) I'm using 2.5-3.5 GB/Month of Cellular data, and another 4-6GB/Month on the WiFi connections.
I average around the 7-12gb per month range. I try to use WiFi as much as possible but most of the time its only at home or a few certain friends' or family houses. Otherwise I am on cellular data. My usage will be going down some now because of stricter work rules on cell phones so I am hoping to fall into the 5-7gb range if not less maybe.

The other side of this is a possible switch from iphone to android but I will save that for later.
Unread 2017-02-08, 11:21 PM   #105
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 207
Thanks (Received): 252
Likes (Given): 2471
Likes (Received): 1665
Dislikes (Given): 24
Dislikes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowTA View Post
I average around the 7-12gb per month range. I try to use WiFi as much as possible but most of the time its only at home or a few certain friends' or family houses. Otherwise I am on cellular data. My usage will be going down some now because of stricter work rules on cell phones so I am hoping to fall into the 5-7gb range if not less maybe.

The other side of this is a possible switch from iphone to android but I will save that for later.
At 5-7gb, you would be at 70-90$/mo

I got my first iPhone with att this year. The battery life isAMAZING compared to any google phone I've had. I prefer android in every single other way though. Android is a great os
Keboh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-02-21, 12:37 PM   #106
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Google’s Project Fi starts testing Voice over LTE support

Google’s wireless service called Project Fi has rolled out Voice over LTE service for a subset of its users, the company confirmed this week via an announcement in Google’s product forums. Users will be able to tell that they’ve been added to this lucky group of testers because their signal indicator will continue to display LTE when they’re making or receiving a call, instead of falling to H [for HSPA], Google explains.
The company also confirmed that the test had been underway for a few weeks, as some Project Fi customers had noticed.
Project Fi, by way of background, is an MVNO (mobile virtual network operator), which sees Google working with network partners T-Mobile, Sprint and U.S. Cellular. This is one of the things that makes Google’s service different from other MVNO’s – it doesn’t rely on a single network, but can switch to the best network available at any given time. However, the service is limited to select Google Android phones, including the Pixel, Nexus 6P and Nexus 5X.
According to the Project Fi community manager’s announcement, Voice over LTE (VoLTE) has a number of advantages, including higher quality calls that don’t count toward your data allocation, faster data browsing while on a call, and faster call setup.
This translates into real-world benefits like fewer dropped calls, or being able to navigate in Google Maps while also on the phone without losing your connection.
One caveat: the VoLTE service on Project Fi will only work when users are connected to T-Mobile’s network, as the other network partners have not officially introduced VoLTE support.
VoLTE is one of several additions to Project Fi since its launch. The service has also added features like group plans that can be used with friends and high-speed data while traveling internationally, for example.
Google did not announce a time frame for when VoLTE would roll out to all Project Fi users, but said it would update as the testing progressed.

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-06-20, 01:52 PM   #107
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Slowly but surely, Google is building Project Fi to become a reliable and viable carrier option in a world of carriers looking to take more out of your pocket. The carrier has already introduced its group plan options, but now Google is making it even easier for you to pay for your portion of the bill.

Group Repay is a new feature which will hopefully take the headache out of getting money from others on the plan. The premise is simple – every month, Google will take care of the calculations and then will send a bill reminder to each user, allowing the user to pay for their portion, a fixed amount, or for additional data used over their budget.
The owner of the account can also now set up customizable reminders based on the cost for each person’s plan, and integrates with Google Wallet to send money when its time. Finally, this group repay option will give the plan owner a breakdown of how much each line costs, while also showing when other users have paid or still owe on the plan.
This feature is available now and you can access it via the account billing section within the Settings. Let us know what you think about group repay and if you would like to see more options come to Project Fi.

Unread 2017-06-30, 09:15 PM   #108
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Project Fi is a pretty good carrier if don't use much cellular data, as it only charges $20/month for the base service and $10 per GB used. But only Google's own devices can be activated on the network, and now that the age of Nexus is over, the only choice is a $650+ phone. To fill the network's mid-range gap, Project Fi announced yesterday that a new device "from a partner" would arrive later this year.
VentureBeat now believes that the mystery phone will be the Moto X4, which is expected to be released in Q4 2017. While the Moto X was previously Motorola's flagship line, the X4 is expected to sit between the Moto G5 and the Moto Z. According to a leaked presentation, it will have a Snapdragon 660 chipset, 4GB of RAM, 64 GB of storage, dual cameras, and a 3,800mAh battery.
As a Project Fi customer, I'm glad to see that the carrier is listening to customers and promises to offer more devices, but I still don't think it's enough. The Nexus 5X was just $199 on Project Fi, and the X4 is expected to be somewhere around $400. There needs to be one more device in the $200-300 price range - something like the Moto G5 Plus.

Unread 2017-10-03, 10:57 PM   #109
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Project Fi experiments with opt-in data throttling, accidentally deactivates customers' SIMs in the process

Data throttling has been standard practice by carriers for years. At first it mostly applied to customers going over their data limits, but recently carriers have begun throttling certain content (like streaming services) for everyone by default, especially in the face of a less strict FCC. Project Fi has been experimenting with an opt-in (not default) throttling feature, which ended up disabling the SIM cards of some customers.
Earlier today, some Project Fi users began to see alerts that they were being throttled, such as in the tweets below. Naturally, most were confused, considering Fi doesn't throttle users at all.
Hey @projectfi, what's going on? I thought there was no throttling just pay per gb? pic.twitter.com/RGTyIcv49M
— Ty ✌️ (@tsmith) October 3, 2017
Uh, @projectfi would you mind explaining why 2.5GB of data is enough to qualify me for throttling? pic.twitter.com/5XsghRONXf
— Eric Ravenscraft (@LordRavenscraft) October 3, 2017

Others had it even worse, with some customers reporting that their SIM cards were being deactivated, as seen below. The deactivation seemed to only affect T-Mobile connections (Fi uses T-Mobile, Sprint, and US Cellular), but it's still a major problem. Not only do Fi SIM cards use T-Mobile by default, the data SIMs can only connect to T-Mobile.
Comment from discussion Tea_EarlGreyHot's comment from discussion "Incorrect notification on data management".
Comment from discussion sarkomoth's comment from discussion "Incorrect notification on data management".
After all this, a community manager from Project Fi made a post on the /r/ProjectFi subreddit, announcing that the throttling notifications and SIM deactivations were related to an opt-in data throttling feature that is in development. This is the explanation:
Some of you may have received a notification earlier this afternoon regarding data management. Rest assured that this was a mistake, and your service will return to normal shortly.
We’re experimenting with options for users to opt in to throttle their data in certain situations. We’ve heard from many of you that it would be helpful to have greater control over data costs, so we’re looking into adding more options to do this. You can continue to use your data as planned, and as always we’ll give you choice and transparency in your plan.
In the meantime, Fi support is asking affected users to force their phones to use Sprint's network by using a custom dialer code (* # * # 34777 # * # *). You can also install Signal Spy, which makes switching between networks on Fi easier.
Hopefully Project Fi will offer service credits for customers experiencing this problem, because it leaves many without a reliable connection. Let us know in the comments if you're on Fi and having problems - my Fi Pixel seems to be working for the moment.

Unread 2017-10-04, 10:17 PM   #110
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Google Pixel 2 doesn't need a SIM card, as long as you use Project Fi

The Google Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL are the first phones to come equipped with eSIM technology, but only subscribers of Project Fi will be able to take advantage of it.
Google's Pixel 2 event was full of announcements, and although we had a pretty good idea of what to expect going into the event, Google still managed to sneak in a few surprises here and there – one of which being eSIM support.

The Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL support the traditional nanoSIM technology that we've seen on smartphones for years, but in addition to this, they'll also come equipped with a new technology called eSIM. Rather than using a traditional card, eSIM allows you to connect to your carrier's network and service right out of the box without any physical card required. This technology has previously been available on gadgets like smartwatches and tablets, but this is the first time it's appeared on a smartphone.
Until other carriers adopt the new tech, only Project Fi subscribers can use the Pixel 2's eSIM tech.
This new tech is undoubtedly cool, but only a small group of people will be able to use it at first. For the time being, the Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL's eSIM functionality will be limited to subscribers on Project Fi. There's nothing Google can really do about this until other carriers adopt eSIM tech for their own networks, but either way, it's insanely cool that we're one step closer towards a future where physical SIM cards are a thing of the past.
Assuming you're on Project Fi and preordered your Pixel 2, setup should be dead simple when you finally receive your new phone. There will be an option to use the Pixel 2 SIM-free during the setup process, and as long as you're connected to a Wi-Fi network, it shouldn't take long at all to get your service working.
For those of us that aren't on Fi, we'll have to resort to using the Pixel 2's nanoSIM tray (for now). That may well change in the future:
For now, we're piloting eSIM on the newest Pixel devices with Project Fi. We look forward to sharing what we learn and working together with industry partners to encourage more widespread adoption.

Tags
google wireless, project fi