Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Computers, Teh Interweb, Gaming, Electronics

Unread 2015-08-19, 03:46 PM   #51
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 202
Thanks (Received): 245
Likes (Given): 2439
Likes (Received): 1631
Dislikes (Given): 24
Dislikes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweiss3 View Post
Has anyone else tried Google Fi? I just found out my brother has been on it since release, and he actually loves it.
My coworker has it. He has zero complaints, except for the fact that his WiFi periodically stops working, and he has to switch airplane mode on/off to fix it. He thinks this is more related to his Nexus 6, rather than Fi. Besides that, he loves it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlen View Post
Unless it opens up to the Moto X Pure Edition, I won't be trying it. Nexus 6 has no appeal to me.
Fuck the Nexus 6. The leaks on the new Nexus 5 look really promising, though. I will probably get one when they come out later this year... so I requested an invite to Fi so I will be ready, if I decide to go that route.
Unread 2015-08-21, 04:48 PM   #52
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

My Time With Google's Cellular Service Was Mostly a Disaster

I glimpsed the future before it collapsed into bullshit.

I wanted Project Fi, Google’s new and experimental cellular phone service, to be amazing. The idea sounded so superior to the status quo that it just had to be destined for greatness. But like the Star Wars prequels and most food with black olives, it let me down.
A brief refresher: Project Fi is Google’s attempt to provide the be-all-end-all for your smartphone needs. It’s a mobile virtual network operator, or MVNO, that switches between T-Mobile, Sprint, and Wi-Fi intelligently so that you have the best service between the three. You pay 20 bucks for talk and text and an additional $10 per gigabyte of data, and it’s all prepaid.
Don’t use all your gigs in one month? Get a refund! Go over? Pay extra on your next bill! But it’s always just $10 for 1GB... that’s it, and the simplicity is beautiful. The only catch is you have to use the hand-exhausting Nexus 6 smartphone to participate, but it makes sense: this is a pure Google experience, from hardware to software to carrier.
A pure Google experience that started out wonderfully, and quickly became a nightmare.
The Honeymoon Phase

When you sign up for Project Fi, Google sends along a little care package—a Nexus 6 case, an external battery, and a headphone splitter—along with your Project Fi nano-SIM. Pop in the SIM, press a few buttons in the Google Fi app, and you’re ready to go. Seriously, that’s it.I just signed up for a phone service in 5 minutes using an app. This is the future. Yes, yes, yes.

The care package.

I started with Project Fi on a Friday, and things were going smoothly. I did notice that when I was tied up with T-Mobile, things were occasionally a little slow. Service fluttered between HSPA+ and LTE, but generally I didn’t notice a problem. During the honeymoon phase, I even called our reviews editor Sean Hollister with a progress report of sorts. “It’s great.” I recall saying. “This is the way cell service should be.”
Three weeks later I was speaking about Project Fi with another Gizmodean outside our New York city office. “It’s terrible.” I said. “I’m so happy to be done with it.”
Here’s what happened.
The Horror Sets In

Almost as soon as I got off that cheery convo with Sean, I stared down at my phone—no service. “Wait, what?” At the time, I happened to be sitting on the roof of my friend’s apartment in Brooklyn playing Magic: The Gathering and drinking Corona. I hadn’t moved more than a few feet during the entire conversation, so what the heck could have happened?
Particularly when the whole appeal of Project Fi is that the service is supposed to switch when it encounters a problem on one network, or when it sees you’re getting poor service. I had major doubts that both T-Mobile and Sprint were having major outages at the same time. I reset my phone, and got this message—a message I would become oh-so-very familiar with:

Temporarily unavailable = never available ever

Nothing worked until I actually physically ejected and re-inserted my SIM card, and even when it did finally pop back onto the network, it was at sub-LTE speeds. Over the next few days, I was able to eke by a piss poor cellular lifestyle with the same song and dance. Lose network. Eject SIM. Insert SIM. Power cycle phone. Have service for a few hours. Repeat.

And remember, all this from a service where Google controls everything: the phone, the app, the network, and even the SIM.
Then, things went from bad to worse. By the fourth day, my usual tricks weren’t getting the job done. I started get weird, cryptic SIM card error messages like so:

I was perpetually tied to wifi with none of the service I was paying $70 a month for. I couldn’t take it. Something had to be done.
So I called support.
The Long, Long, Way Too Long Goodbye

The truly torturous thing about my Project Fi experience wasn’t the fact that I had no data, phone, or text—though that definitely wasn’t fun. It was that the whole thing felt like a glimmer of greatness tarnished by a service that just sucks.
The fact is, Project Fi has some of the best customer service I’ve ever dealt with just by virtue of how easy they are to reach. Inside the Fi app, you can select what method you wish to be contacted by—phone, text, or email—and if you choose phone, real flesh-and-blood humans will call you back. No automated chat programs, “dial one for” whatever, or the always uncanny “Sorry, I didn’t hear that” computer-generated response. The app will even display how long it’ll take for them to get back to you.
The wait times were usually 1 minute for phone or text and 1 hour for email, so I went the phone route. The first rep walked me through the prerequisite troubleshooting tips (the stuff I’d been doing for the past few days) and then told me that Sprint service was down in NYC and that I simply needed to stay on wifi until it could get fixed. “Ok,” I grumbled in response. Are you kidding me?
The next day, things were still terrible, so I called again (over wifi). This customer rep was much better, offering credit for my trouble and escalating my problem to technicians. Unfortunately, my wifi fluttered, and the call dropped dead. The representative couldn’t return my call because, well, I didn’t have a working phone. This crippled game of back-and-forth phone tag went on for a couple days until I resorted to email.
From there spawned a 21-response long email chain, lasting 15 days, that solved nothing and when summarized, went like this:
Me: So...my phone still doesn’t work. Can you fix it?
Rep: We have identified the problem and there is a fix in progress.
Me: (two days later): So...yeah. Still doesn’t work.
Rep: We have identified the problem and there is a fix in progress.
Me: Like when?
Rep: We know this is frustrating and there is a fix in progress.
And on and on and on.

Step 1: Kill with kindness

During this whole conversation, I never once let on that I was a tech journalist or that I was writing a review. I didn’t want to be flagged for special treatment. I was a paying customer (Google did not provide access for this review) and I just wanted Project Fi to run its course. The half-reason I was continually given was that I was improperly on the network and unable to access Project Fi. At first, Google blamed my Google phone. Then it blamed the system itself. Every email ended with the familiar response that a fix was coming shortly.
This whole period last almost two weeks. In that time, I’d received an important text from a friend visiting from Denver...7 hours late. I had Slack messages from work, yelling for my thoughts on a breaking piece of news that I was oblivious to because I didn’t have a working handset. Whenever I went out with friends, I was a child on an overprotective parent leash—if we became separated, I was doomed.

After nearly 3 weeks, I couldn’t take it anymore. I marched down to a T-Mobile store a block away. It felt like I’d come crawling back to my old carrier. Even in our goodbye, Project Fi showed that it was better in some ways than your average cellular service. I was able to hop into the app, tell Google I was leaving, and that was pretty much it. It even gave me a code to share with T-Mobile to resume my old plan. Since it was all prepaid, there was no contract to break and no early termination fees. I was just gone.
And that’swhat’s still so compelling about Project Fi. The idea that owning a phone could be way less of a hassle. A service that cuts out the middleman. A service that (theoretically) has the combined coverage map of two of the US’ largest carriers. I hope they fix it. Or that I’m an outlier, one of 1,000 or 10,000 for whom the service didn’t work. Maybe you’re enjoying Project Fi right now without a care in the world. Lucky you, I’m jealous.
But this was my experience, and it just didn’t work. I paid real money for Project Fi. I gave it a go, and it was unreliable as hell. And when I switched back to T-Mobile, everything went smoothly from the moment I popped that T-Mobile SIM back into my Nexus 6.
Oh, and after I finally had a working phone again, I found one more email from Project Fi waiting for me. They wanted to let me know a fix was in progress.

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2015-09-30, 06:06 PM   #53
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Get a Project Fi-ready Nexus 5X or Nexus 6P under a 2-year contract

We haven't discussed the Project Fi lately but the service is still available. With the launch of the Nexus 6P and Nexus 5X, questions were asked if the two will be ready for Project Fi. The answer is 'YES'. The Nexus 6 will now be joined by the two new Nexus devices being ready-to-use on Google's very own cellular service.

The Nexus 6P and 5X cost anything between $379 to $649 but since it's available on Project Fi, this means you can get any phone you want for lower prices or with monthly fees. Under contract for 24 months, you can get the entry-level Nexus 5X for only $15.79. The high-end Nexus 6P can be had for only $27.04/month.
If this is your first time to buy a device on Project Fi, note that you will only need to pay for the sales tax. It's usually free shipping but you can spend a few dollars if you want the phone shipped to you right away.

Once you get your Nexus phone on Project Fi, you also have the option to pay the remaining balance. But as usual, this deal is by invitation only. Feel free to request an invite from the Project Fi site and wait for an official email from the team.
Check out the prices we know so far below:
• Nexus 5X, 16GB at $379 full price or or $0 downpayment, $15.79 monthly fee for two years, no financing fees, credit check required
• Nexus 6P -32GB at $499 or $0 downpayment, $20.79 monthly fee for two years, no financing fees, credit check required

Unread 2015-10-01, 06:41 AM   #54
Billy Mild

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 114
Thanks (Received): 73
Likes (Given): 2510
Likes (Received): 578
Dislikes (Given): 83
Dislikes (Received): 32

I got my invite 2 days ago. I'm not sure if its worth the switch from Cricket to Project FI. With Cricket I have ATT network with 5 GB of high speed data and unlimited talk and text.

Project FI you pay per GB. I don't know if that is worth it or not. Plus it does use Sprint at times which usually is shizzy.

Who has used it here? Thoughts?
1991 Corvette ZR-1 #1599 of 2,044 airlid mod
2016 RAM 1500-Roll coal
1986 Yamaha RZ350-blown up
1971 Yamaha AT1c-In the middle of restoration
Billy Mild is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2015-10-01, 08:18 AM   #55
tweiss3

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 69
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mild View Post
I got my invite 2 days ago. I'm not sure if its worth the switch from Cricket to Project FI. With Cricket I have ATT network with 5 GB of high speed data and unlimited talk and text.

Project FI you pay per GB. I don't know if that is worth it or not. Plus it does use Sprint at times which usually is shizzy.

Who has used it here? Thoughts?
It uses both sprint and t-mobile, grabbing to towers, and using the fastest. Plus, you pay per the MB, and any unused gets put on the next month's bill.
Unread 2015-10-02, 12:36 PM   #56
Billy Mild

Post Thanks / Like

It makes you get rid of Google Voice. OMG my number.
2016 RAM 1500-Roll coal
Unread 2015-10-02, 12:48 PM   #57
tweiss3

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 69
Dislikes (Received): 1

Quote:
It makes you get rid of Google Voice. OMG my number.
That's new. I never heard of that before, but I never looked that deep. I do know my brother loves it.
Unread 2015-10-02, 09:07 PM   #58
Billy Mild

Post Thanks / Like

I took the plunge. Now to get the new SIM card
2016 RAM 1500-Roll coal
Unread 2015-10-07, 07:25 AM   #59
tomhefley

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Dislikes (Received): 0

Love my Nexus 6. Got it off Craigslist here in KC for cheap, brand new, the guy ended up having to go with Apple due to his job.

Been with Project Fi 4 months now. I love my $30 average phone bills. I use maybe 400 - 500mb data checking movie times or yelp for places to eat.

As soon as I registered the Nexus for the Project Fi service, I received the care package a few days later. Still new in the box.

All in all a great phone and service. I will probably move over to the new Nexus 6P in 6 or so months when prices have settled
tomhefley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2015-10-07, 08:37 AM   #60
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like

I Just got my Fi invite this week.... REALLLLY Wanting to switch over and get a Nexis 5X. I might have to wait until next month though; I have already screwed myself this month financially, buying a parts car
Keboh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2015-10-11, 08:12 PM   #61
MountainDew

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 282
Thanks (Received): 169
Likes (Given): 387
Likes (Received): 801
Dislikes (Given): 344
Dislikes (Received): 87

I pay $40/month for unlimited talk, unlimited text and 15gb shared rollover data.

The "Fi" probably ain't for me, eh?
Unread 2015-12-01, 11:52 AM   #62
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Google Sent Out Lego Phone Stand Kits to Project Fi Subscribers as a “Thank You”

Just before we took off for the long holiday weekend, readers of ours who subscribe to Project Fi notified us that they were receiving little unexpected gift packages from Google as a “Thank you!” for being a part of their wireless service. The gift packages included these cool little Lego sets that were branded with Project Fi logos.
In the box, the Lego kits included instructions that helped assemble the Legos into phone stands for charging. Some even came with a USB Type-C cable, probably depending on the phone they own.

If you cruise over to the official Project Fi community on Google+ (may need invite), you can see how people went about building with the blocks. Most followed the instructions provided, but some went crazy and cooked up their own creations.
Pretty cool gesture.
Cheers Addison!

Unread 2015-12-01, 12:41 PM   #63
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone gotten theirs yet?
Unread 2015-12-01, 12:43 PM   #64
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 255
Likes (Given): 61
Likes (Received): 1926
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 35

How is this any different than connecting my Verizon phone to wifi whenever possible?

BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2015-12-01, 12:49 PM   #65
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

What is Project Fi, how does it work and why do I want it?

Google's own carrier offering definitely has some appeal.

If you're an Android enthusiast, you've likely already heard of Project Fi. But that doesn't mean you necessarily know everything about it, so we're here to give you the high-level look at this new carrier option from Google. Namely just what the heck it is, how it works compared to other carriers and maybe a few reasons why you'd want to try it.
If you're interested in checking out phone service from Google, be sure to follow along with some of the high points below and get acquainted with Project Fi.
What is Project Fi?

At the highest level, Project Fi is a prepaid phone carrier offering from Google. It works by giving you mobile data service on two mobile networks, which your phone will intelligently switch between — it also uses Wifi to make calls and send texts whenever available. Project Fi is a "prepaid" carrier, meaning you pay up front for your service in the trailing month, which is the opposite of a traditional carrier that bills you after you use the service.

Fi is focused on simplified billing. You pay $20 per month for unlimited talk and texting, and a flat rate of $10 per gigabyte of data used. At the start of each month you simply estimate how much data you'll use and pay for that amount — at the end of the month you'll receive either a refund for data you didn't use, or pay a little extra on the next bill for data overages. You'll always pay at the same $10 per gigabyte rate, though, no matter what.
How does it work?

Project Fi works with a special SIM card — and a little software on your phone — that can authenticate you on both T-Mobile and Sprint, and switch between them on the fly based on a variety of factors. Because it can also use Wifi for calls and texts, you can keep using your phone in places where mobile data isn't that great. Extra software called a "Wifi Assistant" will automatically connect your phone to open Wifi access points when you're out of the house, reducing your data usage without any intervention on your part.

When you use Project Fi, you also get some of the same features that have made Google Voice popular over the years. You can forward phone calls to your Fi number to any phone you want, as well as view voicemail, make calls and send texts with that number from any device using the Hangouts app.

Project Fi also works internationally in 120 countries around the world with no additional cost for data use or texting. You can call at a flat rate to any number while on the cellular networks abroad, or pay much lower rates when calling on Wifi. You can also call back home to the U.S. on Wifi for free. Data used internationally just comes out of your standard $10 per gigabyte bucket, but speeds are limited to 256kbps (double what T-Mobile offers outside of North America).
Why do I want it?

Well, this is really a personal question of whether you actually want to try Project Fi. Chances are if you're reading Android Central you're at least one step closer to being the target audience for the Google-powered carrier, but there are a few other boxes to check that make it the right choice for you.

The first limitation is phone choice. Google lets you choose from one of its latest three Nexus phones — the Nexus 6P, Nexus 5X or Nexus 6 — but those are the only three phones you can use with the service right now. You can request an invite to be part of Project Fi, and when you're selected you'll have either a SIM card for your existing Nexus shipped out or you can buy a new phone right from Google, including with 24 month financing. You can use it for as long or short as you like, and there's no activation fee or service commitment.

There are lots of cool features that make Project Fi a good choice, like the simplified billing, included international features and improved network coverage through the use of two carriers and Wifi networks. Each one will have a different amount of draw for different people, though.
Project Fi's pricing isn't dramatically lower than other carriers out there, and whether it makes a good choice financially for you depends on your data usage and which features you want. We encourage you to do your pricing research before choosing which carrier is the best.

Unread 2015-12-01, 12:54 PM   #66
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like

So the really kicker is the price. It's dirt cheap.

Unread 2015-12-01, 01:03 PM   #67
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyLee View Post
So the really kicker is the price. It's dirt cheap.
If you only use like... <3gb of network data a month, yes. It's dirt cheap.
Unread 2015-12-01, 01:19 PM   #68
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keboh View Post
If you only use like... <3gb of network data a month, yes. It's dirt cheap.
Our family uses around 8GB. We pay about $180 a mo for 3 phones.

Unread 2015-12-01, 01:57 PM   #69
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Our family uses around 8GB. We pay about $180 a mo for 3 phones.
you're looking at $60 (3 lines) + $80 (data usage) on Fi, if you choose to switch.

You're coming from Verizon?

Realize to switch to Fi, you will probably have to buy 3 new phones (~$47/mo over 2 years with base model 5x's), which puts you at about ~$190 per month including that + service. That's without any sort of insurance on your phones, either. You will also take a hit on service; Verizon has the best in the biz.
Unread 2015-12-01, 02:57 PM   #70
Billy Mild

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
How is this any different than connecting my Verizon phone to wifi whenever possible?
Verizon doesn't send texts and calls over WiFi.
2016 RAM 1500-Roll coal
Unread 2015-12-01, 03:00 PM   #71
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Verizon doesn't send texts and calls over WiFi.
But they also don't give a shit how much I do of either as well.

Unread 2015-12-16, 04:10 PM   #72
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Google’s Project Fi intros data-only support

Project Fi is still alive. It may not be exactly creating a big buzz today but Google's very own cellular service is impressing subscribers, although there are only a few of them. Google recently released an update that brings support for data-only mobile devices. This includes tablets and other devices that can receive data only--no calls or messages.

Google's Project Fi team is ready to bring data-only SIM for anyone who wants mobile Internet connection on their tablets via cellular connection. This kind of mobile access can also be shared with other tablets so they can also connect to the Internet via the access you provide.
The data-only SIM offers cellular data. Current Project Fi subscribers can get their data-only SIM for free. Check your Project Fi account and order the SIM you can pop inside a compatible device.

Project Fi is presently an exclusive offering. You need to sign up for it and wait to receive an official invitation. So far, we know that you can just order for the data-only SIM. If activated, you can share data to anyone now. Note that your new SIM shares the same data budget with your main mobile phone. Data-only SIM cards are available in more that 120 countries.

Unread 2015-12-20, 11:12 AM   #73
J3R4N

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 24
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 4

I had a very strange issue with Fi last week. My calls and texts were being sent to another number in addition to my own. I was getting strange texts from friends and it turns out the other recipient of my texts was telling them to screw off. I called my own number and my phone rang as usual but some guy answered the phone.

After an hour on the phone with Fi support they had no idea what was going on but the issue seems to have resolved itself. It may have been a T-mobile issue due to the fact that I was on a T-mobile tower at the time and other person receiving my calls/texts was a T-mobile customer.

My time with Fi (~4 months) has been great until this mishap.
J3R4N is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2015-12-20, 07:10 PM   #74
Billy Mild

Post Thanks / Like

I project fi thus far. I have had an issue sometimes where it is trying to figure out what network to use.
2016 RAM 1500-Roll coal
Unread 2015-12-21, 07:50 AM   #75
J3R4N

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 24
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 4

Quote:
I project fi thus far. I have had an issue sometimes where it is trying to figure out what network to use.
FiSpy and FiSwitch are great apps for issues like that.
J3R4N is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
google wireless, project fi