Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Computers, Teh Interweb, Gaming, Electronics

Unread 2014-08-14, 06:59 PM   #101
BrixDaddy

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 25
Likes (Given): 134
Likes (Received): 137
Dislikes (Given): 2
Dislikes (Received): 1

Unread 2014-08-19, 07:09 PM   #102
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Sprint unveils new affordable family plan with 20GB of data for $100

It hasn’t been long since Brightstar founder Marcelo Claure was named Sprint CEO and it seems they’re already making key moves that’ll help get their name back in the positive limelight. Sprint has revealed a new family plan that promises more value than any of the competitors.
For $100 per month through the entirety of 2015, you and up to 9 other folks can share a pool of 20GB of 3G and 4G data, plus an extra 2GB per line on all devices. Sprint contends it’s even better than T-Mobile’s newest $100 4-line plan, which gives you 10GB to split between those folks. Here’s how they’re breaking it down against similar offerings from other carriers:

Of course, the value slowly diminishes as you add more than 4 lines, but it still turns out to be a pretty good deal no matter how many lines you have. We’re not entirely sure where these prices will end up after 2015 expires, but we’ve reached out to Sprint to find out. We imagine both Sprint and T-Mobile’s prices will hike to the realm of the other two big carriers at that point. For now, though, there isn’t a much better deal out there if you and a big group of family or friends don’t mind sharing a large pool of data.
The most exciting thing about this announcement is that Sprint says they’re not through yet — we’re asked to keep our eyes peeled for even more goodness in the weeks or months to come. For that, we tip our hats to Sprint, their new CEO and the benefits that tough competition breeds.

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-08-19, 07:13 PM   #103
Karlen

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 887
Thanks (Received): 481
Likes (Given): 4077
Likes (Received): 4362
Dislikes (Given): 99
Dislikes (Received): 166

LOL that's their "killer" deal?
Karlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-08-19, 07:42 PM   #104
Wallace

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 113
Likes (Given): 252
Likes (Received): 895
Dislikes (Given): 9
Dislikes (Received): 21

More plans to be announced on Friday. Honestly I couldn't care less about the plans. Make sure the service works everywhere that other services work.
Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-08-19, 08:27 PM   #105
titaniumSS

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 67
Thanks (Received): 121
Likes (Given): 675
Likes (Received): 721
Dislikes (Given): 6
Dislikes (Received): 16

Sounds like the easy way to get into capping data on their plans. So it starts.

titaniumSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-08-19, 09:49 PM   #106
Karlen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniumSS View Post
Sounds like the easy way to get into capping data on their plans. So it starts.
They already do. You pay extra for unlimited now instead of it being the usual.
Unread 2014-08-20, 08:00 AM   #107
6-Bolt2g

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 35
Thanks (Received): 55
Likes (Given): 126
Likes (Received): 456
Dislikes (Given): 2
Dislikes (Received): 10

I'm so frustrated with them right now it's not even funny. I'm putting my phone in air plane mode almost daily...all day due to their shit network. I shouldn't drop 30% in a 40 minute commute to work across the city.

1x to 3g to 1x to 3g, -_- oh look LTE, nevermind I'll just drop data all together -_-

For the past 4 nights in a row starting right at 9pm I drop to 1x and never see LTE or 3g. Yes, they may be doing maintenance but we have one god damn tower in my area. Fucking worthless.

/rant -_-
Unread 2014-08-22, 05:38 PM   #108
Wallace

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like Sprint will offer a $60 unlimited talk, text, and data plan.
Unread 2015-08-05, 11:36 AM   #109
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

SoftBank Steps In To Save A Cash-Strapped Sprint

Sprint and its CEO Marcelo Claure had a somewhat rough year. From admitting that eventually they probably will have to get rid of unlimited data to a very public Twitter fight with rival CEO T-Mobile’s John Legere, it’s been a trying year. This latest piece of news that has just dropped on investors is most likely not going to help. It seems that while Sprint has been trying its hardest to hold off being passed by T-Mobile all the while still trying to catch up to Verizon and AT&T, Sprint has started to run out of money. Sprint spent $2.2 billion in just the second quarter trying to keep up with its rivals alone. Add to the fact that the new trend in the industry is to have people pay monthly fees on new equipment. This means Sprint has to pay for all those phones and tablets upfront from suppliers. They then have to wait for the payments that are not always on time. That’s not a good practice for a cash-strapped wireless carrier running out of money.
Investors were getting so nervous with Sprints current state that SoftBank Chief Executive Officer, Masayoshi Son, had to put all fears to bed this week. Masayoshi Son told investors that there was no need to worry and that Softbank is not going to sell its shares in Sprint. On that same conference call to investors Son also had this to say; “SoftBank will be the minority, partner. And we will provide together with our partner, as much as Sprint needs for the handset. Similarly, we are preparing a network equipment lease facility.” In response to fears that Sprint would have to sell off some of its wireless airwaves among others things to raise funds, CEO Marcelo Claure had this to say to calm nerves, “all we’re doing is a way to neutralize the cash position, so this is not about raising additional debt.”
Despite all these assurances by Sprint CEO Marcelo Claure and SoftBank Chief Executive Officer Masayoshi Son that Sprint was still on firm standing, analyst and investors don’t seem entirely convinced. Analyst Walt Piecyk had this to say; “New financing does not change the fact that these are incremental obligations that are going to pile additional liabilities on top the company.” While S&P Capital IQ analyst Angelo Zino had this thought about Sprint CEO Marcelo Claure; “(Marcelo) has made the numbers look less bad. This is going to be a long and slow transition.” Softbank might have saved Sprint this time, but one has to wonder how much longer will they have the cash or the want to save them. Only time will tell.

Unread 2015-08-05, 12:00 PM   #110
Karlen

Post Thanks / Like

Thought Sprint would really get better with the Softbank money, but after all this time, nothing has changed. I honestly think my coverage has gotten worse.
Unread 2015-08-05, 02:10 PM   #111
Wallace

Post Thanks / Like

4g works fine. They are working on expanding to areas that don't have coverage. 3g on the other hand...
Unread 2015-08-05, 02:18 PM   #112
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 202
Thanks (Received): 245
Likes (Given): 2439
Likes (Received): 1631
Dislikes (Given): 24
Dislikes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlen View Post
Thought Sprint would really get better with the Softbank money, but after all this time, nothing has changed. I honestly think my coverage has gotten worse.
Internally, the CEO has released a bunch of letters to employees saying things like "I am proud to say Kansas City's market is the strongest it has ever been, and is notably better than all of the competition". I tend to disagree with him, in that my service is still shit in most places in the KC area.

Soft Bank has owned the company less than a year, though. It is hard to really implement change that fast... or at least the change that needs to be done to overhaul the network. I will give them a bit more time before I am (more) critical.

I switched my phone to CDMA only, so it wasn't switching between LTE and CDMA bands, and it seems to be more stable for me. LTE was never EVER fast for me, so I don't consider it much of a loss; speed hasn't changed much. Less issues loading web pages, sending MMS and web-based messages, etc.
Keboh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2015-08-05, 03:50 PM   #113
Karlen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
4g works fine. They are working on expanding to areas that don't have coverage. 3g on the other hand...
Not true at all. I don't have 4g at your house, at my moms or at my brothers. I'm on some balls ass slow 3g 80% of my time in KC. Its somehow better in Manhattan where I get 4g 75% of the time, but all coverage falls off a cliff as soon as you leave Manhattan.

Sprint is fucking garbage.
Unread 2015-08-05, 03:52 PM   #114
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keboh View Post
Internally, the CEO has released a bunch of letters to employees saying things like "I am proud to say Kansas City's market is the strongest it has ever been, and is notably better than all of the competition". I tend to disagree with him, in that my service is still shit in most places in the KC area.

Soft Bank has owned the company less than a year, though. It is hard to really implement change that fast... or at least the change that needs to be done to overhaul the network. I will give them a bit more time before I am (more) critical.

I switched my phone to CDMA only, so it wasn't switching between LTE and CDMA bands, and it seems to be more stable for me. LTE was never EVER fast for me, so I don't consider it much of a loss; speed hasn't changed much. Less issues loading web pages, sending MMS and web-based messages, etc.
Well that quote is wrong (now) due to recent rankings

Unread 2015-08-05, 03:54 PM   #115
Karlen

Post Thanks / Like

They'll keep running those shitty ads tho
Unread 2015-08-05, 04:03 PM   #116
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 202
Thanks (Received): 245
Likes (Given): 2439
Likes (Received): 1631
Dislikes (Given): 24
Dislikes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLM View Post
Well that quote is wrong (now) due to recent rankings
I don't think it was ever right. I don't know what he's smoking...
Keboh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2015-08-05, 04:11 PM   #117
Wallace

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Not true at all. I don't have 4g at your house, at my moms or at my brothers. I'm on some balls ass slow 3g 80% of my time in KC. Its somehow better in Manhattan where I get 4g 75% of the time, but all coverage falls off a cliff as soon as you leave Manhattan.

Sprint is fucking garbage.
You are having issues I am not having. I have 4g 100% of the time in KC. 4g is so good at my house I almost never use WiFi because 4g actually works. I forgot how bad 3g was until I actually had to use it on the way to the lake last weekend.
Unread 2015-08-06, 02:30 PM   #118
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

SoftBank on Sprint: We see Light at the end of the Tunnel

SoftBank, the owner of Sprint, recently announced their earnings. And actually reported higher than expected, thanks to Sprint doing better than they had expected. SoftBank is forecasting “light at the end of the tunnel” in regards to Sprint. SoftBank also announced a share buyback of nearly $1 billion. Or 120 billion yen. This would be the biggest buyback for SoftBank if it’s carried out in full. SoftBank’s Son said this surprise move is due to their share price and renewed confidence in Sprint, which cost them about $20 billion in 2013. And is still struggling, however the turnaround has started.
SoftBank’s CEO, Masayoshi Son spoke with reporters and stated, “Repurchasing shares is an effective way of returning profit to shareholders. But it’s also a message from management to markets, regarding the share price.” He went on to say “We’ve no become fully confident.” In the recent quarter (April to June), SoftBank’s operating profit rose to about 343.6 billion yet. That’s an increase from 319.4 billion yen a year prior. This was better than what analysts estimates were, at around 320 billion yen.
While SoftBank reported a higher than expected quarter, Sprint was the opposite. While they did add customers, they did still lose about $20 million in the quarter. Masayoshi Son stated during the Sprint conference call this week, “There was a time when I lost confidence in managing Sprint. Now I have no intention of selling.”
So there you have it. SoftBank isn’t planning on selling Sprint, and they still think they can turn the company around. Sprint has seen a bit of a turnaround, while it’s not to the same degree as T-Mobile’s turnaround – yet – Sprint is actually adding customers now instead of losing nearly half a million each quarter. Which is a big improvement for the carrier. While Sprint did lose their #3 spot to T-Mobile, they are definitely ready to fight on the battle lines and get that spot back and challenge the duopoly for #1 and #2 spots in the US. Hopefully there’s good days ahead for Sprint. They are investing pretty heavily in the network and hopefully that brings back a decent return rather soon.

Unread 2015-08-25, 11:26 AM   #119
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Claure: Sprint Turnaround will be 3 Years Minimum

It’s no secret that Sprint was not in a good place when Masayoshi Son’s Softbank bought a majority share in the company in 2013. The deal closed in late 2013, and most of 2014 they spent trying to urge the FCC to approve a bid to buy T-Mobile. See, Son thought that consolidating the two smaller carriers would make for a strong third player to go up against Verizon and AT&T. Son was likely right, but the FCC was bent on keeping four national carriers. So after Sprint pulled out of talks to buy T-Mobile USA, they immediately replaced Dan Hesse who was the current Sprint CEO, and replaced him with Marcelo Claure. Marcelo has now been in charge of the company for about a year, and you can see things are changing and changing quickly.
Claure famously said in an interview earlier this year, that his company will outperform his competitors in the top 100 markets in the next few years. We’ve also recently seen speed tests from him on Twitter, showing speeds of over 100Mbps down stream. Pretty impressive for Sprint. Marcelo Claure was the founder and CEO of Brightstar, which was bought by SoftBank, and that’s basically what gave him a foot in the door for the Sprint position.
Recently, Kansas City Star did an in-depth profile on the Sprint executive. Claure said in this profile that “What I know is I got hired to do a job, and I want that job to be completed in three to five years”. So he’s looking to get Sprint turned around in 3-5 years. And he’s saying this after being on the job for a year. So as we expected, the turnaround isn’t going to be instant, but a bit of a long-term turnaround.
There are a few keys here, to Sprint’s turnaround under Claure. One is improving the network. Probably the most important key. Another is cutting costs, which Claure has been doing since day one. And has helped to trim the fat when they aren’t having a great quarter. They also need to finance their turnaround. Softbank and Sprint are doing this through leasing agreements for hardware for the network as well as devices. Finally, Claure needs to motivate his team. Which we’ve been seeing plenty of that over recent weeks.
What this all means is that we can look forward to more candid exchanges between Marcelo Claure and John Legere. That always makes for a fun day at work for us.

Unread 2015-08-25, 03:32 PM   #120
Karlen

Post Thanks / Like

September 3ish I'm out. Fucking junk network. They'll never get that company straightened out.
Unread 2015-08-25, 03:46 PM   #121
Rob

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 168
Thanks (Received): 147
Likes (Given): 826
Likes (Received): 848
Dislikes (Given): 12
Dislikes (Received): 23

Quote:
September 3ish I'm out. Fucking junk network. They'll never get that company straightened out.
They keep promising and never delivering
Unread 2015-08-25, 03:51 PM   #122
Karlen

Post Thanks / Like

#1 in a TIE

What other company in the world would run an ad like that? Are they all fucking retarded?
Unread 2015-08-25, 04:40 PM   #123
Pringle

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 327
Thanks (Received): 64
Likes (Given): 1667
Likes (Received): 261
Dislikes (Given): 727
Dislikes (Received): 95

I'm pacing my leaving. Slowly canceling contracts and letting phones sit before I make my switch. I'm sorry, but when I sit at my work on lunch connected to 4G and only have .43 Mbps Download and .55 Mbps Upload I'm fucking done.

Edit :

Also, out in BFE Back woods nowhere Tennessee where my Uncle's funeral was 2 weeks ago, my brothers AT&T iPhone 6+ was over 30Mbps while mine was less than .5Mbps in the same area. -_- Both on 4G LTE, both attempting the same network test at the same time.

It's bullshit and I pay way too much for what I'm getting. I would rather worry about my data useage than not be able to use the "Unlimited" data I have now.
Originally Posted by Gunnar View Post
If I had a son who wanted to plaid wrap a Cobalt I'd try to get lung cancer too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantooth View Post
Don't hate because mommy and daddy bought me a faster car than yours. Put up or shut up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveobb4 View Post
Pringle, you know nothing of how i drive and treat my vehicles. This site is nothing more than a bunch of ricer d-bags.

Last edited by Pringle; 2015-08-25 at 05:19 PM..
Pringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2015-08-26, 12:21 PM   #124
beaterKU

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 122
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 16
Likes (Received): 94
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 1

I have had Sprint since the beginning. Sure, there have been rough times, but for the last 2 years I am getting decent speeds where ever my travels take me. Downtown Chicago and Bagdad, AZ are the only places I have had trouble with
internet speeds. Anything above 10mbps is plenty for a mobile device. What are you all trying to do with your phones that necessitates faster than typical broadband speeds?

beaterKU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2015-08-26, 12:23 PM   #125
Karlen

Post Thanks / Like

Load web pages faster than 56k? I can speed test out great at my house in Manhattan, but fuck, I was all over KC this summer and never really had good coverage. Always dropped to 3g, with like 2-4 bars and wouldn't load anything.