Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Computers, Teh Interweb, Gaming, Electronics

Unread 2012-07-18, 03:23 PM   #51
Scooby24
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 49
Thanks (Received): 689
Likes (Given): 341
Likes (Received): 3959
Dislikes (Given): 27
Dislikes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Leary View Post
Seriously? color me surprised.
Last build was done using a 2tb WD Black, and 2 Seagate drives. By the time SSD's were affordable I had so many games, settings, etc customized that I don't want to start over by reformatting to install the OS on an SSD.
Unread 2012-07-18, 03:43 PM   #52
NachO_SRT

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 30
Thanks (Received): 73
Likes (Given): 103
Likes (Received): 332
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby24 View Post
Please God let them provide service to the suburbs so I can get this. I will pay like...a million dollars a month to have this.
I am just up the road from you and according to the Tech at the dslam up the road, I'm covered in the 1st wave of roll outs in early aug 2012.

I spoke to 2 techs performing an install in early April.

The mini-datacenter is almost finished - 82U's of usable server space and 42U's of infrastructure.

NachO
http://www.kcsr.org/signaturepics/sigpic826_1.gif
Quote:
Science will fly you to Mars, Religion will fly you into a building - N. Ruth
Nemo me impune lacessit
NachO_SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2012-07-18, 03:44 PM   #53
Scooby24
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 49
Thanks (Received): 689
Likes (Given): 341
Likes (Received): 3959
Dislikes (Given): 27
Dislikes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachO_SRT View Post
I am just up the road from you and according to the Tech at the dslam up the road, I'm covered in the 1st wave of roll outs in early aug 2012.

The mini-datacenter is almost finished - 82U's of usable server space and 42U's of infrastructure.

NachO
Tell them to put me on the schedule too!
Unread 2012-07-18, 04:46 PM   #54
ksuchewie

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 55
Thanks (Received): 109
Likes (Given): 106
Likes (Received): 607
Dislikes (Given): 20
Dislikes (Received): 14

I haven't seen any utility work where I live (Wyco). I've been guessing over the past year that Google would just buy/lease AT&T's fiber lines (My house already has fiber U-verse) so they don't have to lay cable everywhere. Looks like that's not the case, which means I have to wait longer. DAMN
Unread 2012-07-18, 05:27 PM   #55
Camaro84

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 27
Thanks (Received): 20
Likes (Given): 1512
Likes (Received): 93
Dislikes (Given): 5
Dislikes (Received): 2

So I'm on the southside of kc. Where can I purchase google at. I have TW and they blow. JDLM do tell please.

RIP Tommy Lodigensky
Camaro84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2012-07-18, 05:32 PM   #56
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro84 View Post
So I'm on the southside of kc. Where can I purchase google at. I have TW and they blow. JDLM do tell please.

Wait until the 26th (they haven't announced a whole lot)

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Camaro84 thanked for this post
JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2012-07-19, 12:17 AM   #57
JustinCredible

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 178
Thanks (Received): 96
Likes (Given): 920
Likes (Received): 340
Dislikes (Given): 18
Dislikes (Received): 4

I hope it hits Leawood by year's end.
JustinCredible is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2012-07-19, 01:15 AM   #58
inis

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 71
Thanks (Received): 58
Likes (Given): 265
Likes (Received): 331
Dislikes (Given): 17
Dislikes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachO_SRT View Post

NachO
sorry you're not on the first wave. Hate the be the bad news bear.
Unread 2012-07-19, 08:56 AM   #59
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

How Much Will Google's Fiber Network Cost?

Google on Wednesday announced an audacious plan to build what is essentially the most cutting-edge broadband network in the U.S. While it’s being misportrayed in certain segments of the media as an ISP effort, in reality it’s nothing more than an experimental network, much like Google’s early efforts to provide municipal Wi-Fi in the city of Mountain View, Calif. It will be a trial-only network, not Google’s entry into telecommunications services. And while the planned network won’t be cheap, in the end it will be worth the price.
The idea behind the network: provide bandwidth and see if it fosters new user behavior and thus innovations. I admire Google for creating a real-life laboratory that will provide intelligence to predict not only the future of the web, but also help it develop new products to stay relevant. By announcing this network, Google also showed why it’s quite distinct from its onetime peers such as Yahoo and AOL.
When I said that Google’s plan was audacious, I said so because of the cost. For starters, Google wants to offer 1 gigabit-per-second speeds to some 50,000 to 500,000 people. At 2.6 people per household, that roughly translates to between 20,000 and 200,000 homes. Our friend Ben Schachter, Internet analyst with Broadpoint AmTech, estimates that it will cost Google between $3,000 and $8,000 per home, or roughly $60 million to $1.6 billion, depending upon the final size and footprint of the network. If Google reaches, say, 100,000 homes, it would cost the company about half a billion dollars.
The folks from Calix Networks, a company that sells gear for FTTP networks, have developed an equation that allows them to calculate the cost per household depending on population density, which, according to them, is the single most important factor in calculating the cost of FTTP connection per home. These costs are quite varied, in some cases as much as $4,000 to connect a single home. Google’s final tab will depend on where it decides to build out the network.

The end cost is also determined by the kind of technology the company uses. While Passive Optical Networking technologies have come a long way — newer versions of Gigabit PON (GPON) have a range that extends up to 40 kilometers — there is a better than good chance that Google will opt for an all-Active Ethernet approach. Mike Fox, business development manager for the carrier networks division at telecom equipment maker Adtran, says that both technologies can get the job done. It just depends on how Google wants to build its network. Fox helped me break down the comparative costs of the two technologies.
A typical PON is made of two pieces: an optical line terminal (OLT) at the service provider’s central office, and an optical network terminal (ONT), which is used to terminate the fiber optic line and is typically outside the customer’s premises. A single ONT costs about $330, according to Fox. Since PON is a shared fiber technology, OLT costs are calculated in terms of ports and are about $80 per port. So the total per household is about $410. The fewer the number of ports, the higher the per-home costs.
Of course, when taken together with other costs such as fiber and construction, things start to add up pretty fast. In comparison, an Active Ethernet-based network is pretty much like a corporate Ethernet network. It’s a giant switched Ethernet infrastructure. It costs over $600 in electronics for an Active Ethernet-based network. This is closer to what Google has in mind, according to some experts I spoke with. But that’s not all.
Mike Day, chief technology officer of ADC Telecommunications, told me that this network is going to be a lot more expensive than somewhat similar ones. It would need a really fast switching fabric that in turn would be connected to the Internet backbone at astonishingly fast speeds. This seamlessness is what will bring true speed to the homes on the test network. Think of this as building a smooth Autobahn from the home to the backbone. Day said the network would need to overcome some major design challenges such as different data center architecture and a different style of servers that don’t become a bottleneck and are able to leverage the 1 Gbps speeds.
Is spending this much money — even for Google, which has about $25 billion in cash — a good idea? I think so. Just as car companies spend their R&D dollars on Formula One Racing teams to get a better idea of what new features could be included in their commercial vehicles, a company such as Google needs to explore the outer limits of broadband. (I will explore more on this topic in a different post.)
In addition, “Google has a secondary motivation here and that is to also push the FCC to accelerate its examination of using TV white spaces for wireless broadband,” says Jeff Heyman, broadband and video analyst for Infonetics Research. He points out that if “Google can make this endeavor successful for a number of communities, why couldn’t they do so for even more using white spaces? This FTTH initiative, in other words, could be a proving ground for Google as infrastructure provider.”
Is that likely? Perhaps not — but as someone who hearts broadband, I hope Google’s desire to push the limits brings about the change we so badly need.

Unread 2012-07-19, 03:42 PM   #60
JustinCredible

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 178
Thanks (Received): 96
Likes (Given): 920
Likes (Received): 340
Dislikes (Given): 18
Dislikes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLM View Post
On google fiber in kc "Marc Brown 1 hour ago
I've been testing Google Fiber for the last 12 - 13 days. We are in Kansas City, Kansas. Maxing out a 20 connection usenet account, I can download 1080p 9GB file is a little over a minute. Amazing. It's insanely fast. I'm still just blown away."
What's the source link for this? Want to send it to a friend.
JustinCredible is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2012-07-19, 03:45 PM   #61
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinCredible View Post
What's the source link for this? Want to send it to a friend.
Not sure I grabbed it off someone's FB page

Unread 2012-07-19, 06:58 PM   #62
TheRoach

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 29
Thanks (Received): 34
Likes (Given): 76
Likes (Received): 163
Dislikes (Given): 30
Dislikes (Received): 41

So no word yet exactly how far and where this will be available?
Unread 2012-07-19, 07:04 PM   #63
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoach View Post
So no word yet exactly how far and where this will be available?

There will be an announcement in 7 days

Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks TheRoach thanked for this post
Unread 2012-07-20, 04:56 PM   #64
captaincrunchy

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 17
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mild View Post
I have heard they are putting in the poorest neighborhood's first? Confirm deny?
a few reports stated that downtown wyco and surronding areas would get it first, such as schools, and federal buildings, it would only make sense to expand from there. Happy I am about 5min drive from downtown wyco

1gbps is a real good reason to start getting ideas on doing some custom building again
captaincrunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2012-07-20, 05:16 PM   #65
88STANGGT

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 74
Likes (Given): 191
Likes (Received): 547
Dislikes (Given): 6
Dislikes (Received): 22

96.5 has been playing ads all day long. All I remember is July 26 something is happening. Probably already posted here.
Unread 2012-07-20, 05:17 PM   #66
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88STANGGT View Post
96.5 has been playing ads all day long. All I remember is July 26 something is happening. Probably already posted here.

TV and other media has been hit pretty hard

Unread 2012-07-23, 01:54 PM   #67
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Google Fiber to make July 26 announcement about start-up in KC
Announcement is expected to clear up parts of long-running high-tech mystery.

Google's announcement Wednesday that it would have a fuller announcement about its Kansas City Internet service next week was an ode to local history.

Google Inc., coy for more than a year about what it has in store for Kansas City, says it will tell us more next week.

The company’s blog designed for news on its coming ultra-high-speed Internet network in Kansas City and Kansas City, Kan., posted a notice at 7:30 a.m. Wednesday saying it will fill in some blanks on July 26.

The search engine giant selected the Kansas City area last year as the spot for its test of a network running fiber-optic cables directly to homes, and delivering Internet speeds roughly 100 times faster than the national broadband average.

Google didn’t elaborate much on Wednesday.

Rather, it posted a 30-second video posted under the headline “Google Fiber is coming” and the briefest of text promising: “Kansas City: Google Fiber is almost here. Look out for more information on July 26th.” The video makes nods to local history with pictures of Harry S. Truman, baseball great Satchel Paige and jazz legend Charlie Parker. It includes pictures of pioneers and modern-day Kansas City clichés such as barbecue.

It also shows contemporary and historic pictures of ordinary Kansas Citians — collected in a public solicitation months ago — and unveils what might be part of the marketing rhetoric for its coming service: “100 times faster Internet, 100 times the possibilities.”

Finally, in faint type, the video says the service “arrives on July 26.”

A Google spokeswoman would not say whether the announcement actually means somebody in Kansas City will get a light-speed connection next week.

“We’re excited to announce more information on Google Fiber next week,” said Jenna Wandres. “We haven’t elaborated on what arriving means.”

Google’s contractor, Atlantic Engineering, has been seen on streets on both sides of the state line for months digging the trenches and stringing the wire that will provide the system’s backbone.

There have not yet been reports, however, of connections to homes.

Much could be learned next week, starting with price. Google has only said that although its service will be far faster than services available to consumers in the market now, its costs will be comparable.

There have also been strong indications — through license and patent applications — that Google will bundle Internet hook-ups with a cable-like television service. Analysts have said that Google will need a TV package to lure customers from their existing cable subscriptions.

Google announced more than two years ago that it would build a network somewhere to deliver speeds of one gigabit per second — or 100 times faster uploads and 1,000 times faster downloads than most consumers can buy.

Unread 2012-07-23, 03:04 PM   #68
Billy Mild

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 115
Likes (Given): 2535
Likes (Received): 581
Dislikes (Given): 84

I hope I am close enough to downtown to get this. I'm in brookside. Shiz
1991 Corvette ZR-1 #1599 of 2,044 airlid mod
2016 RAM 1500-Roll coal
1986 Yamaha RZ350-blown up
1971 Yamaha AT1c-In the middle of restoration
Billy Mild is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2012-07-23, 03:08 PM   #69
1bad2v

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 78
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 110
Likes (Received): 77
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 2

KCSR Studio Apartment in KCK with server racks?

HMMM
1bad2v is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2012-07-23, 03:32 PM   #70
88STANGGT

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Likes (Given): 191
Likes (Received): 547
Dislikes (Given): 6
Dislikes (Received): 22

and then just like that i am up $9.38 on two shares of google stock haha
Unread 2012-07-24, 02:45 AM   #71
Timothy Leary
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 94
Thanks (Received): 240
Likes (Given): 177
Likes (Received): 1366
Dislikes (Given): 10
Dislikes (Received): 24

Cant wait for this announcment to drop... when it hits downtown i am going to petition my building to get google.

2017 Toyota 860 86
Timothy Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2012-07-25, 08:46 AM   #72
Billy Mild

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 115
Likes (Given): 2535
Likes (Received): 581
Dislikes (Given): 84

Just one more day......
1991 Corvette ZR-1 #1599 of 2,044 airlid mod
2016 RAM 1500-Roll coal
1986 Yamaha RZ350-blown up
1971 Yamaha AT1c-In the middle of restoration
Billy Mild is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2012-07-25, 08:16 PM   #73
Fully-Loaded

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 260
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 1481
Likes (Received): 241
Dislikes (Given): 91
Dislikes (Received): 16
Default Google Fiber v.diggingthroughcss

So, upon digging through CSS files and whatever source code I could find, I came across this.

Godspeed, Google.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Danerer thanked for this post
Likes Kyle Bryan k, Danerer liked this post
Fully-Loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2012-07-25, 08:17 PM   #74
Danerer

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 150
Thanks (Received): 23
Likes (Given): 882
Likes (Received): 169