Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Computers, Teh Interweb, Gaming, Electronics

Unread 2015-10-28, 10:15 AM   #176
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

T-Mobile Planning An Uncarrier Event On The 10 November

T-Mobile US is one of two smaller national cell ‘phone carriers, or mobile networks, operating in the United States of America. Along with Sprint, T-Mobile US faces a different set of challenges compared with the two larger carriers, AT&T and Verizon Wireless. T-Mobile has a smaller network in terms of customers and for coverage. Because it handles fewer customers, all being equal the business is not able to leverage quite the same discount from hardware manufacturers for volume purchases – this includes the device manufacturers providing the smartphones and tablets that end up in the hands of customers, to the infrastructure vendors building out and maintaining T-Mobile US’ network. T-Mobile also has shallow pockets for other projects, such as the spectrum auctions such as the up and coming 600 MHz FCC auction to be staged early in the New Year, however the regulator recognizes this and through a convoluted series of rules and is modifying the rules for T-Mobile US so as to allow the smaller carrier to compete with the larger carriers. And whilst T-Mobile’s business is smaller and has to work harder for customers,
One of T-Mobile US’ moves has been around calling itself an uncarrier, except it has made a number of these moves from the original Uncarrier 1.0 announcement in March 2013. The original Uncarrier announcement is arguably one of the biggest game changes in the US cellular market’s life as it was here then the business announced it was doing away with traditional contracts and moving to phone leasing instead. This meant that the customer could move away from T-Mobile at any time by returning their device or paying the remaining balance and keeping it. T-Mobile has progressively built upon the original announcement with improvements to the service, such as adding JUMP for early upgrades, offering cheaper international roaming offers, offering Voice-over-LTE and wideband LTE networks, paying early termination fees for customers joining from other carriers and bringing back rollover data, amongst other offers.
During T-Mobile US’ earnings call today, the carrier teased the next Uncarrier move, dubbed Uncarrier X. Unfortunately, details are sketchy at present. We understand that the event will be hosted in Los Angeles, California, on the 10 November but we do not otherwise know any additional details. This may be a relatively small announcement or perhaps T-Mobile are planning a major piece of news. We will update you on the 10 November.

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2015-10-28, 11:24 AM   #177
KUweatherman
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 402
Thanks (Received): 363
Likes (Given): 4962
Likes (Received): 2124
Dislikes (Given): 121
Dislikes (Received): 174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby24 View Post
I'm leaving this shit carrier.

They talk a big game, but can't deliver. This last week I was in San Francisco and couldn't get signal anywhere in the city unless I was in the street. Go into a building, LTE went from 5 bars to 1, then in my conference room at the hotel, no signal of any kind. Meanwhile Verizon, Sprint and AT&T folks sitting at my table all had 3-4 bars.

Then go to the airport and I'm on extended network. WTF....the should have LTE at every airport...that's just unacceptable.
I'm seriously considering leaving too. We're still having billing issues with them. The bill was ridiculous last month after I switched to one of their new plans. Expected to see the refund this month for the difference. Nope. Regular $185.xx. Still need to call to see what they say, but I'm reaching the end of the rope. Way too expensive anymore for what we're getting.
Unread 2015-10-28, 11:31 AM   #178
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUweatherman View Post
I'm seriously considering leaving too. We're still having billing issues with them. The bill was ridiculous last month after I switched to one of their new plans. Expected to see the refund this month for the difference. Nope. Regular $185.xx. Still need to call to see what they say, but I'm reaching the end of the rope. Way too expensive anymore for what we're getting.
Hit them up on Social Media (ie: Twitter/FB) their support on there is actually really decent

Unread 2015-10-29, 04:30 PM   #179
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

T-Mobile will reportedly give you free data for streaming video

T-Mobile is known for making bold moves at its Uncarrier events, and it appears the next one might be the biggest yet. According to the often-reliable @evleaks, T-Mobile will soon start offering unlimited, high-speed data for select video-streaming services, including Netflix. He also mentioned HBO, but it's not clear whether that's referring to Go or Now. Either way, the announcement is expected to happen at Uncarrier X, which is scheduled for November 10th in Los Angeles. Interestingly enough, T-Mobile tweeted about the event and mentioned there was "no reason to hit pause now," in what could be considered a hint about the network's upcoming plans. If the rumor's true, this would be huge for people who have capped data services, as it would let them stream movies and TV shows free of worries -- similar to what T-Mobile's been doing with Google Play Music and others.

Unread 2015-11-04, 02:39 PM   #180
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

T-Mobile's 4G LTE CellSpot is a mini-tower for your home

T-Mobile wants to make sure its customers will have 4G LTE coverage wherever they are, including in their homes. The carrier will soon offer the new 4G LTE CellSpot, which is basically a mini-tower that gives customers up to 3,000 square feet of 4G LTE coverage.
T-Mobile says the device, which is 8.5-inches wide, 8.5-inches tall and is 1.3-inches thick, works by connecting it to a home's Internet access. It adds:
The 4G LTE CellSpot delivers the complete T-Mobile LTE network experience, including the Un-carrier's latest network advancements—like VoLTE, HD voice for crystal clear calls, advanced messaging, video calling and more. In fact, it's the world's first device of its kind that is 3G, 4G and VoLTE-capable, and any T-Mobile customer can connect to it automatically just like any other cell tower – no passwords or log-ins required.
The T-Mobile 4G LTE CellSpot is available for any T-Mobile Simple Choice customer for as long as they are a subscriber. They do have to pay a $25 deposit that's refundable after they leave the carrier, and there is also a fee if they don't return the equipment. It will be available on November 4.

Unread 2015-11-09, 11:14 PM   #181
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Un-carrier 10 could get me to switch to T-Mobile

On Tuesday, November 10, T-Mobile has plans to announce its big Un-carrier X (10) initiative, and if the rumors are true, this could be another huge announcement from the Magenta Carrier. Almost immediately after T-Mobile announced the impending event, the Rumor Mill began spilling out speculation. The main focus? This could be a “Music Freedom” announcement, but this one geared specifically for video.
“Video Freedom,” or whatever T-Mobile decides to call it, would be huge.
When T-Mobile announced Music Freedom all those months ago, and has since added just about every music streaming service one could ask for at this point, I thought it would be one of the biggest announcements T-Mobile ever made. The carrier has decided to take a decidedly consumer-friendly stance with almost every one of its announcements, but Music Freedom and its lack of an impact on a subscriber’s monthly data allotment was ridiculously awesome.
T-Mobile is a carrier that still promotes its unlimited data for its customers, even if only a select amount of data is available at high speeds every month. With the inclusion of Music Freedom one of the biggest factors in eating data every month for subscribers was removed from the equation, immediately freeing up faster speeds for other things – like video, or even just opening up web pages. (Because everyone hates waiting for Facebook to load.)
If the rumors are true and T-Mobile is gearing up to announce Video Freedom, to let subscribers stream as much video as they want from select sources, this is just as big as Music Freedom on its own, but even bigger when taken as a whole with the carrier’s Un-carrier initiatives. With Video and Music Freedom, T-Mobile would be essentially removing a lot of the worry that many smartphone/tablet users feel when they’re using data on their carrier’s network.
Music Freedom may have been one of T-Mobile’s biggest announcements, but it isn’t one that the other carriers have replicated. This is unfortunate, because while T-Mobile has already done a lot to change the mobile industry in the United States, this is one thing that I think a lot of carriers that aren’t T-Mobile woud benefit from, especially when it comes to customer satisfaction and appreciation.
Or, the alternative can happen. On the day before T-Mobile’s next Un-carrier announcement, I’m seriously considering switching carriers. I don’t have unlimited data as it stands, but I watch a lot of video and I stream a lot of music, oftentimes every single day. With that in mind, T-Mobile is offering a service that speaks directly to my daily usage, while the carrier I’m on now isn’t doing that at all.
T-Mobile’s network is still a questionable element for me, but I know the carrier is working on improving it, and there’s always a chance that it has gotten better in the two years since I last checked. If the Magenta Carrier has figured out the most important part of the puzzle in network availability, then these other elements are just icing on the cake.
And it’s looking more and more like a pretty delicious cake.
If you haven’t already switched to T-Mobile, would something like Video Freedom help make that decision for you? Or is there something else keeping you from making the switch? Let me know!

Unread 2015-11-10, 06:19 PM   #182
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

T-Mobile will let you stream video without eating up your data

"Binge On," which incorporates services like Netflix, WatchESPN and even Verizon's Go90, is the company's latest move designed to shake up the industry.

T-Mobile CEO John Legere at the Uncarrier X event. The company's latest announcement is aimed at binge watchers of TV shows and other video.
LOS ANGELES -- T-Mobile customers will get a chance to clear through their backlog of "Scandal" or "Veep" on their smartphone.
The company's new "Binge On" program, unveiled Tuesday, will let you stream videos from Netflix, HBO Go and more than 20 other services. T-Mobile will work to add more streaming services over time.
The video is optimized at a lower quality so it won't use unnecessary data, CEO John Legere said here Tuesday, at the company's Uncarrier X event. He added that the service is a free addition for T-Mobile customers on the higher-end 3GB data tier. Customers on the 1GB plan won't get unlimited video viewing, but they'll get access to the optimized stream, which should give them three times as many videos as normal. Binge On goes into effect Sunday.
This latest of T-Mobile's "Uncarrier" moves, which are designed to shake up the industry, eliminates one of the most pressing issues for customers with a limited allocation of data. The biggest culprit for data usage is video, the streaming of which is projected to rise 400 percent by 2020. An hour of video a day -- an episode of "Game of Thrones," say -- would bring your monthly total to 14 gigabytes of data, way past the standard plan of 5GB a month, according to T-Mobile's own site.
"Embracing free video is the riskiest Uncarrier move T-Mobile has launched yet, but it's also potentially the most disruptive," Jan Dawson, analyst for Jackdaw Research, said in a blog post.
The announcement comes as services such as Netflix and YouTube gobble up more data and carriers clamp down on usage. Verizon and AT&T no longer offer unlimited data plans, and T-Mobile and Sprint are also slowing down their heaviest users.
The program is possible because under Binge On, T-Mobile customers won't get the high-quality stream that would appear on a big-screen television. The optimized stream delivers video at a resolution of 480 pixels, lower quality than high definition. The quality is comparable to DVD, Legere said. "Just try it," he added.
The technology that lets T-Mobile optimize its video, which can identify that the data is video and treat it accordingly, is proprietary to the company, Legere said.
One notable exception to the announced services is YouTube. Legere said Google's video service didn't meet the technical qualifications for the optimized stream in time but that he'd be happy to add it when possible. Chief Technology Officer Neville Ray said the process for meeting the technical requirements is relatively simple.
T-Mobile has been able to drum up a wave of excitement for its services in other ways beyond simply cutting prices. Past Uncarrier moves have included the elimination of wireless service contracts, free international text messages and data, and access to streaming music that doesn't eat into a subscriber's data plan.
Legere calls Binge On an extension of the music plan, but with video. In addition to key services like Netflix, he noted that he will allow rival AT&T's DirecTV and Verizon's Go90 video services to stream for free "just because we can."
The Uncarrier campaign has been an unqualified success, with T-Mobile consistently signing up more customers than its rivals. In the third quarter, the carrier added 843,000 customers who pay at the end of the month, more than all its rivals combined.

Unread 2015-11-10, 06:21 PM   #183
ItalionStallion888
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 184
Thanks (Received): 260
Likes (Given): 2189
Likes (Received): 1601
Dislikes (Given): 68
Dislikes (Received): 73

this is great
ItalionStallion888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2015-11-25, 10:01 AM   #184
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

T-Mobile offers Sprint customers an extra $200 credit to switch

T-Mobile has announced a new deal to get Sprint customers to make the switch. For a limited time, Sprint customers switching to T-Mobile will get an extra $200 bill credit per line, on top of the up to $650 per line that T-Mobile covers for early termination fees or phone payment balances.
The deal doesn't require a phone trade-in, and applies to individual customers, families, and businesses. It is also available to all Sprint prepaid and postpaid customers, as well as those subscribed to one of Sprint's subsidiary prepaid brands, Boost and Virgin.

This offer comes as part of T-Mobile's Un-carrier Unwrapped holiday initiative. T-Mobile kicked off the initiative earlier this week with an offer of three months of unlimited LTE data at no extra cost to all of its existing customers. T-Mobile says it has more "gifts" planned, including those aimed specifically at customers of Verizon and AT&T.

Unread 2015-11-25, 03:45 PM   #185
KUweatherman
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 402
Thanks (Received): 363
Likes (Given): 4962
Likes (Received): 2124
Dislikes (Given): 121
Dislikes (Received): 174

*yawn* T-Mobile's moves are starting to get tired.
Unread 2015-11-25, 03:47 PM   #186
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

and yet they are working out pretty well for the carrier ....

Unread 2015-12-01, 11:15 PM   #187
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

T-Mobile Is Adding 11 More Services to Its Unmetered Music Freedom

T-Mobile’s Music Freedom, a program that allows you to stream music from select services without it counting against your data cap, has been around since June last year. As of today, there’s 11 more services you can use without worrying.
All the big names in music streaming are already part of Music Freedom, so it’s not surprise that lesser-known services are the ones being added today: Aud.io, StreamOn, and TuneIn Premium, to name the ones you might have heard of.
The only real problem with Music Freedom is the precedent it sets—favoring some music services over others runs against the tenants of a free and open internet. It’s dangerous because if internet companies like Spotify (or Google!) were to have to pay for access to a ‘fast lane’, it swings the marketplace in favor of the big companies that can afford access, and against small startups.

In other words: you should embrace the fact that you’ve probably never heard of any of the 11 services T-Mobile added to Music Freedom today. They’re all smaller, lesser-known companies. That’s a good thing, because it means T-Mobile is sticking by its promise to let any music service that complies with its regulations into the Music Freedom program, and keep things on a level playing field.

Unread 2015-12-03, 05:56 PM   #188
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

T-Mobile Offers AT&T Switchers half off EIP on Accessories

T-Mobile is known for going after their competitors, and their CEO John Legere had stated that they had something special for each of their competitors’ customers. After giving Sprint customers an extra $200 to switch over to the magenta carrier, now they are offering AT&T customers some pretty spectacular deals. This is all in addition to the promos for paying off your ETF and device payment fees to switch (as well as all the goodies you get by signing up on a Simple Choice plan, like Binge On, Music Freedom and more).
AT&T customers that make the switch will get 50% off of EIP accessories. That includes Fitbit, smartwatches, and anything else that T-Mobile sells. The only catch is that you do have to do the financing thing. So you can’t just buy it outright. However, you are still paying the same price, it’s just stretched over a longer period of time. This means that customers could get as much as $125 off of their favorite products. Don’t forget they also sell speakers from some of the most well-known companies like JBL and Ultimate Ears.
This promotion isn’t just for those on AT&T’s postpaid plans either. If you are on their GoPhone or Cricket prepaid plans, you are also eligible to make the switch and get these discounts. T-Mobile also has a pretty sweet incentive for those looking to buy an iPhone, where you can get the 128GB model for the price of the 16GB model. It’s the season of giving, and T-Mobile is doing plenty of giving. T-Mobile also reminds us in their press release, that a family of four can join T-Mobile and get Unlimited 4G LTE for just $45 per line. Something that AT&T has done away with for a few years (and in fact is raising the price of unlimited data on grandfathered plans).
There’s all kinds of great promotions going on around the mobile industry as we get closer to the holidays at the end of December. We’ll be sure to share them all with you. So you can get the best promotions and deals this holiday season, no matter what you are buying.

Unread 2015-12-03, 05:58 PM   #189
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

T-Mobile Named #1 Among Wireless Carriers by Consumer Reports

T-Mobile may not be number one or even number two when it comes to the number of customers they have on their network. But the Uncarrier is doing some fantastic things when it comes to customers as well as their network. T-Mobile has steadily been the fastest network in the US, based on data from Ookla who has the popular Speedtest.net speed testing service. And all the data comes from users testing the speed on different networks. T-Mobile has also won a JD Power award for customer service, which is something to really be proud of.
And now, according to Consumer Reports, T-Mobile is the best carrier in the US. This is from a survey that Consumer Reports sent out to various users, and asked consumers about their carriers’ value, voice quality, texting, data speeds, web issues and customer support. Verizon came in with a score of 70 out of 100, AT&T had a score of 68 out of 100 and Sprint at 67 out of 100 with T-Mobile sporting a 73 score here. Consumer Reports also noted that customer support as well as value were ranked highly by the survey. However, as expected, call and data quality were ranked below the top two carriers, Verizon and AT&T.
The most interesting part about this survey is that all four of the national carriers were beaten by MVNO’s and regional carriers. This includes Consumer Cellular, Ting, Virgin Mobile, and US Cellular. Now this doesn’t make Ting, or US Cellular better than Verizon or T-Mobile. But in the public’s eye, it is. And the image of a carrier is very important, in looking to grab new customers and keeping their existing customers. Verizon’s Chuck Hamby spoke out in response to this survey basically saying that they don’t believe in crowdsourced data, and they rely more on scientific data instead. And that scientific data paints the bigger picture, compared to a survey sent out to a small pool of users.
Some thing like this should definitely be taken with a grain of salt. Seeing as Root Metrics named Verizon first in their first half of 2015 report, with T-Mobile ranking fourth. While Ookla ranked T-Mobile first and Verizon second. So there’s definitely a difference there, and it’s likely due to the data collected.

Unread 2015-12-10, 11:00 AM   #190
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Another week, another offer to help get people switched over to T-Mobile. After wooing AT&T and Sprint customers with sweet deals for switching, T-Mobile is now targeting the Verizon faithful. The company is putting up a full year of Hulu Plus for free if you’re switching from Big Red.
While Hulu is free on the web for the most part, Hulu Plus is required for watching on mobile apps. One clear thing to note is that this offer is only for Hulu’s limited ads plan that starts out at $7.99, as opposed to the less annoying ad-free plan that costs $11.99 per month. This translates to about $100 in savings, which is not a bad deal if you’re a Hulu user.

T-Mobile is also throwing in the same 50% off financed accessories that they did for AT&T customers, meaning you could get up to $125 off smart watches. The offer goes from December 11th through December 17th, so if you were planning to switch your family over to T-Mobile this holiday season then now is the time to do it.

Unread 2015-12-14, 10:00 AM   #191
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Leaked Images Surface Showing New T-Mobile US App

We recently covered the rumor that T-Mobile US were preparing an updated version of their official app and now Reddit user, dsulli37, has posted several screenshots of the new application running on an Android device. It’s looking much better than the old version, with a new design layout that is closer to Material Design. The new application features the ability to check current usage and bill status, change the plan, pay your bill or Equipment Installation Plan. There’s also the option to locate a local T-Mobile US store together with T-Mobile’s “device health” functionality; more on this later. Currently, the application is a leaked version and as such, should be considered completely unofficial and Android Headlines cannot vouch for the authenticity of the APK that is available from the source for sideloading. We don’t know what additional features might be supported on the device, such as fingerprint sensors or Apple’s TouchID for the iPhone version.

Writing of the status of the application, we do not yet know when T-Mobile US are planning on officially releasing the application for either the Android or iOS platforms. Currently, some users have experienced difficulties with the application when sideloading it: it will report that it is not ready for their type of account, and on some devices it is reportedly running very slowly. Some of the functionality is broken or incomplete, and some T-Mobile stores are missing from the database. One of the information screens shows a “3” rather than account or usage content. It’s possible that the information the application presents is incorrect, so until T-Mobile US officially release the updated application, we would recommend caution on relying on the data.

T-Mobile US have continued with including the “Device Health” options and settings in the device, which for many customers is the reason why they do not use the application. The idea behind the Device Health checks is that it can help T-Mobile’s customer support agents assist users when their device is not performing as they expect, but unfortunately the older version of the application has a reputation for being a battery hog, despite being designed to help customers save battery. It remains to be seen if T-Mobile US have improved how this aspect of the application works, or if instead the developer has included an easy way to the Device Health functionality.

Unread 2016-02-16, 08:43 AM   #192
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

-Mobile is taking an ax to wireless rivals -- and I know why

John Legere, CEO of T-Mobile USA, speaks at an event in Los Angeles on Nov. 10, 2015. Credit: T-Mobile/IDGNS Verizon and AT&T should be scared of the upstart Un-carrier

I have had the pleasure (or lack thereof) of using AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile all in a period of less than a year, and the experience has given me some first-hand knowledge about how the carriers are doing -- and what they're doing wrong. I first left AT&T for Verizon in 2015 because of AT&T's absurd pricing, $140 a month for my data plan and another $25 to $40 a line (though now that price has been cut by AT&T to $15 per line). So with five lines, I was paying about $280 a month, plus taxes and other fees. That prompted my first move, to Verizon's "better" network.

With its boasting that it has the largest, most powerful network in the U.S., I figured, "Why not?" I had high hopes for Verizon for the first month I was with it. Even better, jumping to Verizon saved me about $100 a month and I did finally get service in my house (a step up from AT&T). But for a network that's supposed to have the best service, I suddenly had more dropped calls than I ever had with AT&T. Coverage in my area was a complete bust.

While driving home from work in Massachusetts, I lost service five to 10 times in the course of a seven-mile commute -- a problem I never had with AT&T (and do not have with T-Mobile today). I called Verizon to complain, and 48 hours later, I was told that a technician had determined that foliage along my route was causing the problems. That didn't explain the dropped service along major sections of I-90 (better known locally as the Mass. Pike) in areas where both AT&T and T-Mobile offered solid coverage.

Frustrated by the problems, I decided to switch carriers again. I had two options: Sprint or T-Mobile. Despite fears that its network would be irreparably weak, forcing me back to AT&T once and for all, I opted for T-Mobile.

I'm glad I did. The dropped calls along the Mass. Pike largely stopped. Reception at home is solid, especially when I'm using Wi-Fi calling, which delivers crisp and clear communications. Best of all, the price is right: I now pay $140 a month for four lines with 10GB of LTE data per line.
Meanwhile, the carrier wars are blazing back and forth on TV and in ad campaigns online. Verizon, which remains in second place among the major carriers in the U.S. behind AT&T, recently launched an ad blitz centered around this commercial: A Better Network as Explained by Colorful Balls. The main problem is that the ad is based on year-old old data, which you'll notice if you read the fine print at the bottom of the screen.

T-Mobile has responded to Verizon's campaign, as has No. 4 carrier Sprint. And T-Mobile minced no words in a recent statement pushing back against Verizon's claims: "T-Mobile's LTE network is not just the nation's fastest, it's also the nation's fastest growing. In just the last year alone, T-Mobile has more than doubled its LTE coverage footprint, added 800,000 square miles of LTE coverage, expanded to cover 304 million people in total -- 98% of the people Verizon covers, rolled out Wideband LTE in 268 total markets for even faster LTE, and launched Extended Range LTE in 300 markets for coverage that goes 2x farther from the tower and works 4x better in buildings than before."

Outspoken T-Mobile CEO John Legere isn't the kind to rein in attacks against rivals, so it's no surprise that T-Mobile has gone all out to highlight the inconsistencies in Verizon's advertising. It's released several videos including one that tells its own story using colorful balls (in classic T-Mobile pink) and more recently there was an ad produced for this year's Super Bowl.

T-Mobile offers a lot of data to back up its boasts, and as a customer, I can't disagree. According to a T-Mobile spokesperson, between 2012 and 2015, the company's customer base doubled from about 30 million customers to more than 60 million, with 9.5 million of them moving over directly from one of the other three major competitors. (This is just post-paid users.) In other words, T-Mobile has added about 10 million new subscribers each year for the last three years, a growth rate that far outpaced AT&T, Verizon and Sprint during that same period.

T-Mobile CTO Neville Ray noted in a late December blog post that T-Mobile has no plans to slow its expansion. He also called out other companies who say that they can deliver 5G-type speeds when they don't have true a 5G network. And not surprisingly, he sees T-Mobile as ideally positioned to continue to grow when 5G does become a reality. (For what it's worth, AT&T last week announced plans to run field trials for 5G in the Austin area.)
Another facet of T-Mobile that I like is how active it is on social media; it actually tries to respond to customer issues (in contrast with Verizon, which seemed to ignore any problems, even on social media). Simply take a look at the Twitter accounts for both T-Mobile and Legere. T-Mobile even has a fun page showcasing some of the most unexpected locations it serves -- like Skykomish, Wash., population 205.

Legere is also active online, responding to users, poking fun at the competition and actually engaging with people on Twitter. That brash approach to connecting with customers is something I like in T-Mobile and it highlights the contrast with AT&T and Verizon. The other wireless carriers act like corporations used to, with stuffy business models and remote leaders who have virtually no connection to their customers.

What makes a company great in 2016 is both high quality customer service and delivering on what they sell. To me, that looks much more like T-Mobile and much less like AT&T and Verizion. T-Mobile may not be a start-up, but its management sure performs as though it is and boldly claims that the future is bright.

Unread 2016-04-06, 10:32 PM   #193
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

T-Mobile Announces Enhanced Voice Services Deployment

T-Mobile has announced the commercial deployment of a new patent-pending technology that it says will improve the already-high reliability of VoLTE (Voice over LTE) a step further. Named ‘Enhanced Voice Services’, or EVS, the technology was being tested by the ‘un-carrier’ on its network with devices like the newly-launched LG G5, which reportedly comes EVS-ready right out of the box. However, smartphones like the Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 Edge also recently gained EVS capabilities thanks to software updates rolled out to them by T-Mobile. For those unfamiliar with EVS and how it improves the voice call quality and reliability, the new technology is said to use complex speech compression algorithms as part of its efforts to replace the HD voice codec AMR-WB, which is the current gold standard for carriers who have rolled out VoLTE to their respective customers.

T-Mobile’s CTO, Mr. Neville Ray, announced the commercial roll-out of EVS on its network earlier today, and mentioned three different points as to how it is better than the technology that’s currently being employed by the company’s competitors, whom he describes as “tired old telecoms”, presumably referring to the likes of Verizon and AT&T. Firstly, according to Mr. Ray, “EVS improves voice call reliability in areas of weaker signal” , which ensures lower call-drop rates than standard VoLTE services. Secondly, EVS surpasses VoLTE in terms of call quality, making the voice come across clearer and richer, thanks to the use of a broader audio frequency range than standard-issue HD Voice technology. Finally, EVS is network-neutral, meaning, it just works irrespective of whether the calls are being placed via Wi-Fi or over T-Mobile’s LTE network.
T-Mobile also says that it is looking to make more of its smartphones EVS-ready in the coming weeks and months, with as many as seven other devices on its network set to get software updates to make them EVS-compliant. While Mr. Ray doesn’t mention the exact models that will receive the new feature, he does make it a point to mention that as many as twenty-seven million T-Mobile customers in the U.S. currently use forty different models of VoLTE-enabled smartphones to make 300 million calls on a daily basis.

Unread 2016-04-11, 08:18 PM   #194
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

T-Mobile set to launch promo plan; 10GBs per-line for $35 a month on up to 4 lines

Binge-On and Music Freedom have a way of pulling down data use for many Americans. Pair it with no overage charges and 1 year data roll-over and a lot of people see their total monthly use dropping significantly. To celebrate the magenta company is rolling out yet another promotional plan for consumers. It officially goes live on April 6th and offers 10GB’s of data per-line, on up to 4 lines for $35 per line. Math wise, that is $140 a month for 10GB’s per line. Even more precise, that is non shared buckets with Binge-On, Music Freedom and the other perks of the carrier. None of that includes any device costs of course.
Thanks to Binge On and Music Freedom, 70% of video and 96% of the music T-Mobile customers on qualifying plans stream doesn’t even hit their high speed data bucket. Over the past three years, T-Mobile has created fundamental differences between Un-carrier Data and data from the carriers. Un-carrier Data not only rides on the nation’s fastest LTE network, but it also comes with unlimited video and music streaming from participating providers, no overages, worry-free roaming and the ability to stash your unused data to use up to a year later; so you keep what you already paid for.
To add to the promo T-Mobile is also offering up a number of deals on a wide range of tablets too. If you pick up an iPhone, KG or Samsung device, you can get up to 50% of any same brand tablet. Total can’t exceed $200 though, but instead of just discounting the purchase, they are giving you a prepaid visa for the 50% cost. The cards could take up to 8 weeks to be delivered.

Unread 2016-04-11, 08:19 PM   #195
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

T-Mobile announces over 100 services part of the Binge On and Music Freedom program

Say what you will about the degraded video quality of Binge On, or the odd ball missing music services, it doesn’t change the fact that T-Mobile hasn’t pushed some boundaries and some buttons. Today they have announced that they are sitting at over 100 services between the two included programs. Pushing them over the top was the inclusion of Amazon Music, ESPN Radio, Uforia, Dailymotion, EPIX, Spike TV and TV Land to name a few. Lets cut to John Legere for the scoop.
For those not wanting to listen, here are some written details.
  • Since Music Freedom launched, T-Mobile customers have streamed 90 billion songs for free.
  • Today, T-Mobile customers are streaming 210 million songs every single day without using a drop of high-speed data.
  • With Binge On, T-Mobile customers are watching 2x more from free streaming sites on plans with limited data and have streamed over 190 million hours of video for free.
  • With Music Freedom and Binge On together, T-Mobile customers have saved over 350 petabytes of high-speed data.
“It’s a fact … Un-carrier Data is different than Carrier Data. It’s better! Nobody does data like T-Mobile!” said Legere. “Un-carrier Data is not only faster, it lasts a lot longer than the other guys… As of today, you stream unlimited music and video from over 100 providers – without ever touching your Un-carrier Data or worrying about overages—and you can stash what you don’t use for later. Try that with Carrier Data. It’s gone in a flash, and you’re getting hit with penalties—or they repossess it after a month or two. Ridiculous!”
All of this really makes the looming threat of unlimited data leaving T-Mobile in the near future a semi silly thing to upset about. Certainly there are plenty of users doing plenty of other things to gobble up tons of data, but a fair amount is generally always video and streaming music services. I know that’s usually a bulk of my data anyways.

Unread 2016-04-11, 08:19 PM   #196
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

T-Mobile targeting data and text only users with new plans March 30th

T-Mobile continues its efforts to help reinvent cell service. Over the years we have watched them announce a variety of plans, services and promotions that really have helped drive change across the industry. They aren’t perfect, but John Legere certainly pushes some buttons and gets into the headlines. The latest leaked info from the Magenta UnCarrier shows a variety of new plans set to launch in a few short days with data and text only.

The new plans start of as low as $20 a month for 2GB’s of data and migrate all the way up to 22GB’s for $95 a month. The plans all include unlimited text, but will not offer your standard voice calling offering. Here is the full list.

2GB for $20
6GB for $35
10GB for $50
14GB for $65
18GB for $80
22GB for $95

It might seem odd to some, but those that use Hangouts, Skype or other VoIP services for their calls already, it makes sense to cut out the extra cost of minutes from your plans. I find myself utilizing around only 200 minutes a month myself and most of those are calls for work since the work phones don’t have Bluetooth headsets.
For a seasoned T-Mobile customer I am left wondering if Wi-Fi calling will still be an option with these data only plans. I expect answers to that question, and many others that I have yet thought of, to be answered in a day or so.
Could you cut the voice cord and go data only on your phone, or would the lack of telemarketing calls and bill collector dead-air voicemail’s leave you wanting more?

Unread 2016-05-05, 05:50 PM   #197
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Rumor: T-Mobile’s Uncarrier 11 is all About Customer Appreciation

Since 2013, when T-Mobile launched their first Uncarrier move in which they killed contracts, the company has continued to eliminate customer pain points with the 9 following Uncarrier moves. Uncarrier 10, which was held late last year, introduced Binge On. While it was met with quite a bit of negative feedback, Binge On has gone on to be a pretty big success for the company. Now it looks like the company is planning their next Uncarrier move, which will likely be dubbed “Uncarrier 11”.
This Uncarrier move is a bit different from the others, if the source is to be believed. It appears that T-Mobile is going to launch an app called “T-Mobile Tuesdays” where subscribers can get freebies each week. This is going to be more of a customer appreciation move than eliminating a pain point – which is what the Uncarrier moves have been all about. According to VentureBeat, this new app is going to allow subscribers freebies, chances to win prizes in a giveaway (which include things like movie tickets, trips to events, gift cards and more), as well as some stock in the company. It looks like T-Mobile is doing this campaign in partnership with Domino’s Pizza, Wendy’s and Vudu. It’s unclear whether any cash changed hands, or if there will be some advertising done with these three companies and T-Mobile, or if T-Mobile is just buying items from them to give to customers. These items include a free pizza from Domino’s a Frosty at Wendy’s and a movie download from Vudu.
Now we already noted that you’ll be able to get stock in the company, and T-Mobile is said to be doing something pretty cool with this promotion. T-Mobile is giving away a quarter-share of T-Mobile stock per line to eligible subscribers who will need to claim it within 14 days of the Uncarrier event. The key word there is “eligible subscribers”, as it appears that not everyone will be eligible. More than likely, this will only be for postpaid customers.
Last but not least, the Uncarrier event is said to be taking place on June 6th. Now this has not been confirmed, and invites have not been sent out just yet. So take this with a grain of salt. But if it does turn out to be true, we could be seeing Uncarrier 11 in just about a month’s time.

Unread 2016-05-05, 05:52 PM   #198
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

T-Mobile: We Don’t Have Plans to Get Rid of Unlimited Data

There’s no doubt about it, we are currently in the midst of a price war in the US wireless industry. One could argue that T-Mobile started it when they dropped contracts back in early 2013. However when Sprint got their new CEO, Marcelo Claure, he decided that Sprint’s network was not worth what they were charging, and immediately dropped them. While true in some areas, this is also when the pricing war really got started. While T-Mobile and Sprint are the smaller two carriers in the US, they have been putting pressure on the larger two, which T-Mobile CEO John Legere calls “the Duopoly” in Verizon and AT&T.
In 2010, AT&T got rid of unlimited data (although they brought it back recently, only if you sign up or are a customer of DIRECTV or their U-verse service). Verizon killed off unlimited data in 2012, they have not yet brought it back and they don’t plan too. Sprint and T-Mobile do still offer unlimited data, as well as other plans which are cheaper and technically offer “unlimited data” but speeds are reduced after you hit your data cap. T-Mobile currently offers their truly unlimited plan for $95 per month. Which has been targeted lately by AT&T’s prepaid brand, Cricket. After T-Mobile’s earnings last week, the company’s management spoke with analysts, including Jefferies analysts. Who stated in a research note that “management is very comfortable with its current position and does not view itself as a price discounter.” Adding that they are content with their current pricing for their plans. Jefferies also noted that the “Uncarrier” announcements don’t often change pricing, so we likely won’t see them go up or down with future Uncarrier moves.
When it comes to unlimited data on T-Mobile, the question “do we really need unlimited?” often pops up. Due to their Binge On and Music Freedom programs that they launched as Uncarrier moves lately. Each whitelist video and music data from select apps and services so that it doesn’t count against your data. However, the company’s COO Mike Sievert did also state that they are “proud to be able to offer unlimited [data]”. Sievert continued on during the earnings call by saying that T-Mobile “has the capacity and we don’t have any plans to change the fact that we offer unlimited.” Sievert also mentioned something interesting during the call, is that unlimited customers are keeping Binge On turned on, even though they have unlimited data. As they are finding it keeps videos from buffering – since it is using less data and a lower resolution.

Unread 2016-06-02, 01:54 PM   #199
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

T-Mobile Schedules Un-Carrier 11 Event for June 6, 2016

It’s been rumored, and now it’s finally official. T-Mobile announced this morning that they will be holding their Un-carrier 11 announcement on Monday, June 6th. It will also be live streamed for everyone to watch. The event is going to start at 10am PT/1pm ET. T-Mobile didn’t really leave any hints about what the company may be announcing but did state in the invite that “We’re turning it up to Eleven”.

T-Mobile initially began the Un-carrier events in March 2013, where they ended contracts. This is actually the move that changed the wireless industry the most. T-Mobile went from selling smartphones on contract, to selling them in installments. While it is still technically a contract (if you opt to leave T-Mobile before the phone is paid off, you will owe what is left), it’s still a big deal. As it rewards those that pay off their phone early, or buy at full retail. T-Mobile then went on to announce JUMP, allowing their customers to upgrade their smartphones sooner. We’ve also gotten unlimited international roaming, Tablets get 200MB of data each month for free with ‘Tablets Unleashed’, Music Freedom and Binge On allows you to listen to music and watch video without it counting against your data cap. And that’s just a few of their bigger moves.

These Un-carrier moves are here to solve pain points for wireless customers. When John Legere took over T-Mobile USA in the fall of 2012, he wanted to change this broken industry. And has done so with this Un-carrier initiative. Taken a wireless company that was losing subscribers left and right, to being the fastest growing wireless carrier in the country, in just a few short years. Now what does Legere and his team have planned for Un-carrier 11? It’s tough to say, but it is going to be exciting. Rumors did state that T-Mobile would be offering freebies in Un-carrier 11, including some stock for those that have been loyal customers of the company. This rumor did also state that the event would be happening on June 6th, and that part has already been confirmed. We’ll find out all the details on Monday.

Last edited by JDLM; 2016-06-02 at 02:04 PM..
Unread 2016-06-06, 01:39 PM   #200
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

T-Mobile's new Uncarrier move gives company stock to subscribers

In a way, you're basically John Legere's boss.

John Legere has spent basically his entire tenure as T-Mobile CEO sweetening the deal for new and current customers, and today his largesse took a very peculiar form. As part of the newly announced Uncarrier 11 initiative, T-Mobile launched StockUp, a new rewards program that grants one share of company stock to every T-Mobile primary account holder. Those folks can bank up to 100 shares a year by referring their friends -- not too shabby, considering shares are currently valued at $43.62 and T-Mobile's strong financial growth could nudge that number even higher.

The deal is even sweeter for long term loyalists: customers who have been around for at least five years get two shares for each newcomer they refer. Legere joked that T-Mobile customers are collectively his boss now, but don't get any ideas -- there are probably some stringent financial mechanisms in place you keep you and a few hundred thousand friends from staging a hostile T-Mobile takeover.
There are a few caveats to be aware of, though. This deal is only for consumer postpaid subscribers, and you're out of luck entirely if you use T-Mobile subsidiary MetroPCS.
Legere live-streamed the news from New York City, an event that also saw the company roll out another rewards program called T-Mobile Tuesdays. Every week, the company plans to give out freebies through a T-Mobile Tuesdays app that's now live in Apple's App Store and the Google Play Store. Legere says the program includes "food, movie tickets, gift cards, subscriptions, ridesharing and more," though the first week's gift is a free ticket to go see Warcraft. Considering the reviews we've seen so far, you might want to see what comes free next week instead. On the flip side, you'll also be able to access recurring freebies like free Vudu video rentals and medium Domino's Pizzas.
Oh, and to ease the intense boredom that sets in on long flights, T-Mobile customers will get one hour of free Gogo in-flight wi-fi and free in-flight messaging on iMessage, Google Hangouts and Viber for the duration of your time in the middle seat.

Tags
compatible, go magenta, iphone, tmobile, un-carrier