Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Computers, Teh Interweb, Gaming, Electronics

Unread 2013-02-23, 11:54 AM   #76
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Google’s Patent Application for Glass Now Published; We Take a Look

There has been a lot of talk about Google Glass lately, from the unique rumors that are floating around, and we even went over its fashion and style, among several other topics. One thing we haven’t touched on was its patent application; it was filed in August of 2011 and has been conveniently published yesterday, so now we have all the details.
Speaking of details, the patent description in question is enough to cause one’s eyes to roll into the back of their head, as it packs plenty of words used to describe their latest project. To make it simple (as if anything patent-related is simple), they made sure to have their project Glass be as detailed as possible, which would help ensure that the original design concept remains theirs and to secure future advancements. Now, on to the details.

As seen from the image, there is a lot to be said about this. Don’t worry, we’re not going to go over every single one of them, but I’d like to talk about a couple of items in which I think are important. First, all those numbers have their own description attached to them, which range from how the bridge rests on the nose of the user, to the flexibility of the camera’s placement.
Number 26 relates to the lens elements, which indicates that any material that can project an image or display a graphic may be used, and may be “…sufficiently transparent to allow a user to see through the lens element.” Which might refer to the option of having colored lenses, and leaves the material usage for the lens wide open with plenty of options. The frames are also left open for design and materials used, and allows for the use of a hollow body to route the connected wires.
Number 28 details probably the most important factor; the on-board computing system. This item mentions not only the usage of a processor and memory, but also the use of video cameras, sensors, and “finger-operated” touch pads. This computing system may be connected to the head-mounted device via direct wire, or wireless connection, and may be used remotely. In other words, the video camera wouldn’t need to be worn on the face. Sensors also include, for example, one or more of a gyroscope and accelerometer.

Those are just a couple of things worthy of note, out of nearly a hundred others that eloquently describe this device. Another thing to mention is the connectivity that you can use in addition to the device’s original features, such as the use of separate video cameras, sensors, and finger-operated touch pads, which could be smartphones and tablets.
Going back to the video camera for a moment, Google described the usage of more than one at a time, which states, “…more video cameras may be used, and each may be configured to capture the same view, or to capture different views. For example, the video camera…may be forward facing to capture at least a portion of the real-world view perceived by the user. This forward facing image captured by the video camera…may then be used to generate an augmented reality where computer generated images appear to interact with the real-world view perceived by the user.” That part makes me go hmm. Is it just me, or is Google trying to gamify the way we view the world? Let us know what you think.

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-03-11, 10:29 PM   #77
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

API Released and a Peek Further into Google Glass Greatness

Google Glass has made an appearance at SXSWi with an API for the latest in Google’s stable of Gadgetry. Along with the API there were several applications for the new device showing their collective face for the first time. Google has a chance to get ahead of the curve in the wearable computing market with Google Glass. So, let us talk about what is new with Google Glass as of SXSWi, and as we get more excited with each snippet of Glass that Google gives at each of these events.

Google has come forward with some impressive applications for their latest device at SXSWi. First off, the most impressive application for the computer for your face is from the New York Times in association with Page & Co. This app allows the user to browse articles published by the Times and will give the user critical information about the article such as how long it has been since the article was published, photos associated with the column, and of course the headline and byline. The application will also read the column aloud to the user if so desired. A breaking news feature for the app is also being tested and it is said to feature notifications that will be pushed to Glass as news events are published allowing the user to stay in the know on an up to the minute basis. The New York Times app is the most feature packed app that we have heard about so far, but we are sure to see more and more feature filled apps for Google Glass hitting the newsfeed as we approach Google I/O in May.

“By bringing technology closer, we can get it out of the way. This is what Glass does. It provides an experience to the user that’s there when they want it, and unobtrusive when they don’t. In doing so, Glass creates a new kind of computing that’s more about people than it is about computers. In this session, we’ll look at Glass in people’s lives with emphasis on how to use the cloud API to build new experiences and bring people closer together.” Timothy Jordan on Google Glass
Also shown off for Google Glass at SXSW were apps from the likes of Evernote, Skitch, and the not so well known, but well loved social media application, Path. These are all applications that are visually appealing and point to a very relevant application line-up for Google Glass. Most of the apps represented at the event are still in alpha phases and only have a few features available thus far, such as posting images to the web and reacting to the posts of those you follow. We are very much looking forward to seeing how these apps develop in the coming months, as this blank canvas called Google Glass just has a ton of possibilities waiting to be tapped by app developers. I for one am just itching to see what they can do with it.
Google’s very own GMail also got a bit of time in the limelight at the event as a GMail application for Google Glass was introduced, as well. Although it is expected that Google would release a GMail app first and foremost, it is still very exciting to see theses things being talked about so that maybe we can start seeing more of what Glass will be like as a finished product. It is also likely that we will see screen-shots from the rest of the G-apps, soon.
It looks like Google is starting to give us more and more of an overall impression of exactly what Glass will be capable of with every one of these events that are graced with the presence of this wearable computing device. What do you think of a future where everyone has a computer on their face or even built into the body at some point? Better yet, and a step back, have you pre-ordered Glass and how excited are you to get this screen afront your “Glass” ball?

Unread 2013-03-12, 08:33 AM   #78
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

I Just Tried On Google Glass, And This Is What It Was Like

Over the weekend at the SXSW Interactive conference in Austin, I had the opportunity to briefly try on Google's next-generation gadget, Google Glass.
The experience was interesting, to say the least.
The frames do not feel heavy on your face, and I didn't notice any difference from my normal glasses. Because they're made of metal, Glass is durable too. It can be bent and twisted and quickly return to its normal state.
The current design is dorky, so hopefully Google can work to make Glass sleeker and not so noticeable.
After you place Glass on your face and adjust them, a small screen appears in your peripheral vision in the top right corner. The screen is initially distracting because you always want to look up at it, but once users are familiar with it being there I don't see that remaining a problem.
Here's an example of what I saw:

JetBlue/Google+

The right side of Glass, where the battery rests, is touch-sensitive. It's used to scroll through the various screens.

Google/Screenshot

What I did realize, is that Google needs to offer a solution for individuals who wear glasses. The little screen seems far away.
Because of my poor vision (I'm near-sighted), all I could make out was the time, but I see Google's vision for users being able to easily keep up with Tweets, status updates, participate in Google Hangouts, get directions, and more.
I'm excited to see the different ways that developers create apps for the device. There is an opportunity to create some really dynamic experiences for users.
Now that I've tried on the gadget and they are more than something I've seen in pictures and videos I believe that Glass is something that could take off.
The price is a huge barrier stopping it from becoming a hit with the masses and not just the elite.
I'm looking forward to spending more time with Google Glass and getting a better understanding of how the technology works, but just trying them on was an awesome experience.

Unread 2013-03-12, 11:54 AM   #79
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Google Glass is, in fact, compatible with prescription glasses

We learned a lot about Google Glass yesterday at SXSW, including a sample of the kinds of apps it will be running when it becomes available to the public. Today on Google+, the Project Glass team let out a bit of rather important hardware info: namely that Glass is compatible with prescription glasses. Turns out that its "design is modular, so you will be able to add frames and lenses that match your prescription," though the team is still working on the frame design to get it juuust right. The prescription compatibility won't be ready for the Explorer edition of Glass, but we can expect the frames to officially debut "later this year."

Unread 2013-03-12, 12:03 PM   #80
01SS346

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 169
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 1

I really want these for some reason lol
12 Ram 1500 4x4 - Tow Truck
01SS346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-03-12, 12:05 PM   #81
HiLandR
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 149
Thanks (Received): 121
Likes (Given): 828
Likes (Received): 726
Dislikes (Given): 11
Dislikes (Received): 14

Reminds me of this:

Steve Martin in the Jerk with his "OptiGrab" glasses. Ended up costing him his millions from people suing him for becoming cross-eyed!

Unread 2013-03-21, 02:27 PM   #82
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Patent show how Google Glass could use augmented reality to control your garage door, fridge, and more

A new patent related to Project Glass could give us an idea of how Google plans to merge the high-tech eyewear with our everyday lives, and it’s a pretty damn cool concept. Using everything from built in sensors and connectivity like RFID and Bluetooth to visual identifiers like QR codes, Glass could detect everyday objects and “project” an augmented reality user interface onto them.
The result might be a virtual control panel for opening or shutting the garage door or an interactive “display” on the fridge door reminding you to pick up some milk. Based on what Google has shown us about Glass, these objects could be controlled by voice commands (of course, all would need to be fitted with some sort of wireless connectivity for any of this to work).
At first, Google Glass seemed like a pretty bizarre concept for a company like Google to develop. While it still might be a bit ahead of its time (like many Google products), the more we learn about how Glass is envisioned to be part of our everyday lives, the more and more exciting the possibilities seem. We’re looking forward to having a go at the smart headgear the first chance we get.

Unread 2013-03-22, 10:03 AM   #83
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Google Glass eye-piece patent secured

Earlier, we learned about a patent Google secured that detailed a way to control and interact with real-world objects through the use of augmented reality. That particular patent was an early glimpse into several possibilities Google Glass might enable, but it wasn’t necessarily something Google was promising would come to the unit in working capacity.

Welp, another patent was secured today, and it’s one of the most important of them all. It’s patent application 20130070338, and it details the eyepiece that will feed all the information you require straight to your eye. Without it, Google Glass isn’t Google Glass, so we’re sure a big sigh of relief made its rounds around the research and design offices at Google’s Mountain View campus once they were informed of its acceptance.
The patent is quite large in scope, detailing 28 different claims and detailing how the eye-piece is functional at a very technical level. For a typical casual techie, reading the patent application is like reading Latin, but the gist of it is that there isn’t much anyone can do to hurt Google when it comes to this tech — it’s theirs, and they’re putting it to work quite quickly. You can check out the application in full here if you’re curious.
[via Patent Bolt]

Unread 2013-03-27, 03:57 PM   #84
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Report: Google’s Project Glass to be Manufactured in the US – Did they Learn their Lesson about the Nexus Q?

Another hot topic as of late has been Project Glass. It’s been a pretty hot topic since Google did a demo of it at Google I/O last June in San Francisco. Project Glass is supposedly going to be available to the public later this year, but we’ll have to wait on that one. The latest report today is coming out of the Financial Times and that Google is going to be producing Project Glass here in the US. Google is said to be manufacturing pairs of Google Glass at a Foxconn plant in Santa Clara, CA. This would be the second product – that we know of at least – to be manufactured in the US.
So what was the other product produced in the US? Well we aren’t sure you can actually call it a product. But the Nexus Q was made here in the States, for the 20 or so they actually made and sold besides those they gave out at Google I/O last year. Hopefully Google has learned from their mistakes with the Nexus Q, although Project Glass is much different from the Nexus Q was.
There are only a few products that Google has that they actually produce. That would be the Chromebook Pixel and now Project Glass. But we aren’t sure where the Chromebook Pixel is manufactured. All of the Nexus devices are manufactured at their manufacturers respective plants for LG, ASUS and Samsung.
The report is also saying that this production run will be much more limited in number compared to their Nexus line. They are only expecting to make a few thousand Glass devices which will be put together in the coming weeks. We don’t know for sure if there will be bigger manufacturing taking place in the US as well or if their operations will be shifting back overseas. We’ll have to wait and see what Google does in the future.

Unread 2013-04-08, 11:52 PM   #85
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Google Glass Functions Shown Off in New Infographic

Google Glass is still being buzzed about all over the community, but for those of you that REALLY want to know how it works, might find solace in the concept with infographic below.
The infographic shows all the functions of Google Glass in great detail. When I say great detail…I mean just that. They get down to the core of Google Glass, and even for those of us that know a lot about the futuristic technology, will find something we did not know within the graphic. It shows exactly how it works with your eyeball, Which in a way, is kind of creepy. I still worry how the general public will use them. Of course, the public will have to dish out $1500 for these glasses, so it might take awhile before we start seeing a majority of people walking around with some funky glasses. So check out the infographic below to see how exactly Google Glass will work once attached to your head. Let us know what you guys think.

Unread 2013-04-15, 10:38 PM   #86
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Here Are Google Glass’ Tech Specs

Google just released the official specs for Google Glass (after releasing the API too) and the futuristic frames come with 16GB (only 12GB will be usable) Flash memory, 5 megapixel camera for stills, 720p video recording, Wi-Fi b/g, Bluetooth and a battery that can handle "one full day of typical use".
Of course with a product like Google Glass, its specs won't tell us how much we'll actually use the, um, specs. Here are the nuts and bolts of Google Glass:
Fit
Adjustable nosepads and durable frame fits any face.
Extra nosepads in two sizes.
Display
High resolution display is the equivalent of a 25 inch high definition screen from eight feet away.
Camera
Photos - 5 MP
Videos - 720p
Audio
Bone Conduction Transducer
Connectivity
Wifi - 802.11b/g
Bluetooth
Storage
12 GB of usable memory, synced with Google cloud storage. 16 GB Flash total.
Battery
One full day of typical use. Some features, like Hangouts and video recording, are more battery intensive.
Charger
Included Micro USB cable and charger.
While there are thousands of Micro USB chargers out there, Glass is designed and tested with the included charger in mind. Use it and preserve long and prosperous Glass use.
Compatibility
Any Bluetooth-capable phone.
The MyGlass companion app requires Android 4.0.3 (Ice Cream Sandwich) or higher. MyGlass enables GPS and SMS messaging.

Unread 2013-04-22, 10:46 PM   #87
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Google Glass code reveals “eye gestures,” snaps pictures by winking

Some underlying code found hiding inside the Google’s “MyGlass” application is revealing some new clues on some new ways users will interact with Glass (once it’s finally made available to the public). Using eye-motion tracking, it appears that Google Glass might be able to tell when a user is winking (as opposed to just blinking), signaling the device to snap a picture with Glass’ integrated 5MP camera.
Discovered by a user on Reddit, the code strings “EYE_GESTURES_WINK_ENABLED,” “EYE_GESTURES_WINK_CALIBRATION_SUCCESS,” and “EYE_GESTURES_WINK_TAKE_PHOTO” suggest that eye gestures will be just one of the many ways users will be able to interact with their Glass you know, besides the old-school way of touching or speaking to it.

None of this really sounds too far fetched to us. Back at CES 2013, we were able to test out some new eye-tracking tech from a company called Tobii, even going as far as to speculate the possibilities of seeing something similar in Google Glass. Let’s not forget that Google was recently awarded a patent for interacting with a device using eye-tracking and although that dealt specifically with unlocking a device by looking at it, it’s easy to see Google definitely been toying around with the idea.
It’ll be interesting to see how these eye-gestures perform in everyday use. Other than spy pics, can anyone think of a useful reason why you’d want to snap a sneaky picture like this? Aside from submitting to PeopleofWalmart.com, my mind is drawing a blank.

Unread 2013-04-30, 08:33 PM   #88
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Video: Google Takes Us on a “How to” Tour of Google Glass

This morning, we shared a couple of videos from a participant in the Google Glass Explorer program who screencasted Glass to give us a unique view of the UI and functionality of the wearable tech. While those videos were impressive, they couldn’t quite provide the full user experience. So if those videos didn’t quite help win you over or provide the clearest representation of how you envisioned Glass working, maybe this official video from Google will help.
In this “How to” clip on getting started with Glass, Google shows you how to navigate the UI with the side touchpad, adjust the display for optimal viewing, and put the device to sleep to help conserve battery.
Tell us, the more you see of Glass, are you getting excited or less interested?

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly.

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EvNxWhskf8

Unread 2013-04-30, 08:58 PM   #89
cbr_954

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 258
Thanks (Received): 104
Likes (Given): 2126
Likes (Received): 684
Dislikes (Given): 62
Dislikes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun y View Post
ok what else are they made out of?

I'd like to hear his answer to this, lol.
cbr_954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-04-30, 09:07 PM   #90
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr_954 View Post
I'd like to hear his answer to this, lol.
Where is this quote from? Too many posts to back track

Unread 2013-04-30, 09:10 PM   #91
cbr_954

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 258
Thanks (Received): 104
Likes (Given): 2126
Likes (Received): 684
Dislikes (Given): 62
Dislikes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantooth View Post

Also, not all homes are made of wood.

And I was also posting to subscribe
cbr_954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-05-02, 06:15 PM   #92
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Winky for Google Glass lets you take photos with the wink of an eye

Many developers, including our very own Steve Albright, have finally gotten their hands on Google Glass units, and some of the more interesting applications are starting to roll out. One app that’s sure to get folks excited is Winky, a utility that allows you to take photos with Google Glass by performing the super simple action of winking an eye.
Typically, users would have to say “OK glass, take a picture” in order to snap a photo from the first-person point-of-view, but as Mike DiGiovanni points out this kind of pulls you out of the moment. Without having to say anything or wait for a two-step command, Winky allows you to capture snapshots of your most precious moments as if you’re simply committing them to memory.
The developer didn’t go into much detail about how it was done, but he did release the source code to show everyone how it was done, and to ensure everyone that the app doesn’t handle private data in such a way that is harmful to the user. He doesn’t want inexperienced Glass users to be able to install the app all willy-nilly, saying that he wants to make sure that only people who can understand the code behind it can install it.
With that, there’s no APK for you to simply download and install — you’ll have to build it from source if you really want it. It’s an interesting project that shows off some Glass functionality that we didn’t know developers could tap into so easily. DiGiovanni says he hasn’t jumped into low-level stuff yet to figure out how, exactly, the unit can detect the wink, but suspects a tiny, low-resolution camera is embedded in the device’s bar.

The app’s user interface itself is quite simple if you need it: you’ll get the ability to calibrate the sensitivity, and the ability to clear that calibration. Two buttons, and that’s it. The quick video at this link shows Mike putting the app in action, but if you have Google Glass and want to experience it for yourself be sure to find the code at Github and compile the source with whatever tools you prefer.

Unread 2013-05-17, 08:37 AM   #93
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter apps announced for Google Glass

Google Glass recently received an injection of third-party app support. It was revealed at the company’s I/O conference this week that several third-party apps, or “glassware” as Google prefers to call them, are inbound from the likes of CNN, Elle, Evernote, Facebook, Tumblr and Twitter. These apps will join ones that are already available from The New York Times and Path.

Unsurprisingly, a number of these new apps are focused on sharing. Glass apps for Facebook and Twitter allow users to share photos snapped using the visor. Facebook users can capture a photo and add it to their Timeline along with a description using voice dictation. Twitter can automatically tag images with “#throughglass” and will alert wearers of mentions, direct messages and other notifications.

On the news front, CNN can provide early adopters with the latest headlines and video clips. Rather than receiving constant notifications of breaking news, the app allows users to designate a specific time of the day to deliver content. With Evernote, users will be able to record text-based notes for later reference which could come in very handy if you don’t have your hands free to jot down a memo.

Elle, the first magazine to tackle Glass, is taking the effort seriously. The publication has created an entire team tasked with producing content for the connected device. The app is able to read stories aloud while simultaneously displaying images that accompany each story.

Glass may still have to win over some consumers when it launches next year but thus far, they’ve had little trouble convincing some major technology players to hop on the augmented reality bandwagon.

Unread 2013-06-13, 11:27 PM   #94
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

This is what’s inside Google Glass [TEARDOWN]

Wondering what the inside of Google Glass looks like? Sure you are — beauty’s only skin deep, remember? Because we’re too wimpy to take our own Glass units apart, we were glad to see that another Glass Explorer — Star Simpson along with Scott Torborg — were willing to do the deed on their own units. Star remarks that it’s “surprisingly simple” in nature, with very clean engineering work waiting for them beneath the chassis.

The teardown revealed something we hadn’t known before, and that’s the device’s battery capacity. It’s 570mAh, which is quite nice considering its size. The glass houses SanDisk-based flash memory in the amount of 16GB, and is rocking TI’s dual-core OMAP4430 processor. It’s been a long time since we’ve seen that thing inside a phone, but we imagine it’s probably overkill for what Glass needs it to do.
Beyond that, the dynamic duo was happy to find out that Glass was quite simple to reassemble, which should mean good things for those who might require repairs down the line. Unfortunately, the result of the teardown didn’t come without some minor cosmetic damage, but the device was OK everywhere else.
We’re told it takes some nimble fingers and patience to get this thing apart without breaking anything. That’s no surprise considering the tiny bit of space Google had to work with in fitting all of this inside. Find more photos of the teardown over at their website if you’re interested, and be sure to read our Google Glass review if you want to know what this thing is all about.

Unread 2013-07-01, 09:03 PM   #95
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Google Glass XE7 update brings web browsing, improved voice commands, and more

It’s barely the first of the month and right on schedule, Google has already begun to roll out their latest software update for Google Glass. XE7 will be hitting headsets in the coming days and if Project Glass’ title is any indication — “MOAR MOAR MOAR” — you can expect more than simple bug fixes.
Web browsing

Probably the most noteworthy new feature is the ability to view and navigate web pages thanks to a built-in web browser. Previously, Glass users could only initiate a search, act which point they were stuck on Google’s search page results, without any way to dive deeper — now you can.
The web browser works intuitively using a combination of gestures and the device’s gyroscope. Slide a finger up and down to scroll, use 2 fingers to zoom in and out, pan by moving your head, and finally select areas in the center of web browser by tapping on the touchpad.
Okay, so it’s going to take some getting used to, and is only a quick fix for when you’re looking something up. Probably going to wanna stick to web browsing on your smartphone.
Improved voice commands

Google Glass users can now do a whole lot more without having to ever touch the device. Google has enhanced the voice functionality in Glass in the latest update to allow for more voice commands like, having messages read aloud by saying, “Ok, Glass. Read aloud,” answer calls by saying, “Ok, Glass. Answer call,” reply to SMS messages the same way, or even share a quick pic by saying, Ok, Glass. Share with so-and-so.”
Google has also (finally) lifted the 10-contact limit for making calls or sending SMS messages, bringing users’ entire Gmail contacts into Glass. This was a huge limitation previously, and something I’ve personally been waiting for since I received the device.
With updates like XE6 that drastically improved (for the most part) camera quality, and now XE7 that brings even more voice commands, I have little doubt Glass will live up to everyone’s expectations by the time it finally hits retail.
[XE7 release notes]

Unread 2013-07-16, 12:09 PM   #96
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

New Google Play Store redesign hints at Google Glass support

Ever since Google Glass launched (be sure to read our Google Glass review), Google has resorted to using a separate service for getting apps which are compatible with the device. Glass Explorers would simply sign into a site that they can use to browse and activate new Glass apps. Considering Google Glass is based on Android, some are wondering why Google hasn’t been using the Google Play Store to distribute these apps.

Well, it looks like support might finally be on the way. Upon getting the new Play Store redesign yesterday, some Glass Explorers have noticed that their units are showing up under their list of devices.
This list didn’t include Glass units prior to the redesign, so it’s definitely a recent change. This doesn’t mean much to us yet — there is no known way for developers to upload their Glass apps to Google Play, nor is there a way for Glass Explorers to download them from the same source — but it could be a sign of things to come.
We’ll be reaching out to Google to see if they can shed some light on the situation and let us know if Google Glass apps might soon be distributed through the Google Play Store. In the meantime, folks will need to continue getting their apps as they always have — by heading to google.com/myglass.

Unread 2013-07-16, 02:53 PM   #97
supersayianjim

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 120
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 399
Likes (Received): 63
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 28

so this is pretty much a scouter? awesome. my question is when you have them on do you see the interface with both eyes or just one??

-1994 sc400-1jz/w58/aem-v2/borg warner s366/800-injec/arp studs/ 264 cams and port

-nissan s13 rb25det 2,700lbs nis-tune/holset hx35/full suspension 348/308 tq-dyno jet 15psi and shit tune

-50cc mad-ass

"when i spool, i rule!!!"
supersayianjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-07-16, 04:31 PM   #98
NoSwear

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 20
Likes (Given): 30
Likes (Received): 93
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersayianjim View Post
so this is pretty much a scouter? awesome. my question is when you have them on do you see the interface with both eyes or just one??
I believe just one. People who have worn them described it as being in your peripheral vision on the side the display is on.
2014 WRX STi Limited - Cobb Stage 2+
NoSwear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-07-16, 07:31 PM   #99
white01ss

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 73
Likes (Given): 227
Likes (Received): 309
Dislikes (Given): 16
Dislikes (Received): 8

My neighbor just got back from San Francisco over the weekend, he is part of the Beta test on these.

If you have questions, let me know, and I can ask him. I will probably be over there sometime in the next couple of days.
white01ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-07-22, 07:56 PM   #100
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Google bets on Glass with investment in Himax display manufacturer

Google Glass is the hot topic when talking about wearable technology. If this new trend is to become popular, it should be because of Glass – and Google knows this. This is why the Search Giant has decided to go all in with Glass and has decided to make a major investment on Himax, the display manufacturer in charge of Glass’ screens.
The Taiwanese manufacturer says that Google will acquire a 6.3% stake of Himax Display inc. The acquisition is meant to put things in order and help Himax get everything ready for Google Glass mass production. With mass production expected to come sometime in 2014, we are getting pretty close and were expecting preparations to start soon.

Just how popular will Google Glass be, though? Will their investments prove to be beneficial for the company? Some believe Google Glass will be the next technology marvel in the industry while surveys say only 10% of Americans would use them. If we think about it, though, 10% of the US is still quite a substantial number of people.
We happen to love the product and see a lot of potential in it. You can see our opinions and reactions in our Google Glass Review. As for this deal with Himax, it is expected to close during the 3rd quarter of 2013. Just in time for production to get going! How many of you are buying your own Google Glass next year?