Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Careers, Colleges, Jobs

Unread 2017-03-28, 09:37 AM   #26
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdb1fish View Post
I've been so lucky I have to pinch myself sometimes. I could easily still be running an Applebee's, or like concept, and be making 50K+ less/yr.
Dude, so much.

Graduated in Dec 2007. So I got on the market and got the job just before the shit hit the fan. Classmates that didnt leave until spring 2008 faced a much harder job market.

Thankfully in that first job I was thrown to the wolves and survived (ill take credit for some of that). It was a huge project I was a cog on honestly. But it allowed me to get to know the project and the customers team really well, I leveraged the hell out of that relationship as much as I could.

The real break was a few months after the project was complete the solution went sideways (due to something I kept harping on but nobody liked my idea at the time). I got put back on that project solo to clean it up (basically gut it and put my solution in). So I was knee deep in that shit with a $12mil/yr customer when the layoffs came, I was basically untouchable at that point.

Girlfriend moved to Atlanta and we were having drama, I was looking for a change of scenery anyway. They had a policy about remote employees and had already let some awesome people go because of it. I put in my notice (but gave a bit over a months notice so I could close out existing stuff and leave on a great terms).

A month later, 3 HOURS before my exit interview, I get literally pulled from the hall into an unlit meeting room with a director. A massive project out in California (it was the state itself) was growing and the team needed help, I could stay on for the life of the project as long as I did well because it was going to be cheaper to commute from Atlanta than KC anyway and I knew most of the team.

In the year and a half I spent commuting Monday-Friday to California they company had grown 30% and caved on remote employees. So I just slotted back into my original role.

Couple years down the road and Im getting lonely never meeting coworkers or having friends (traveling every week makes it hard to make NEW ones) so I start looking. 3 weeks later I get put on a massive project with a giant (and more importantly local) healthcare company, Piedmont.

Right before I roll off the project they tell me there is a senior opening because they are going to be busy as hell with the roll-outs, I tell them I want it and they post it on their site for 30 minutes so Im the only applicant.

And Ive been here for 5 years now. Its fucking crazy typing it all out how many silly breaks and skin of my teeth plays I have gotten.