Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > Site Sponsors, Vendors > DIY Auto Repair Inc

Unread 2016-05-24, 07:41 PM   #1
DIYAutoRepair
**Sponsor**

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 25
Thanks (Received): 192
Likes (Given): 71
Likes (Received): 1301
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 25
Default The challenges of DIY repairs

Probably the biggest challenge is people getting stuck on a project.

I try my best to screen people over the phone but some get past that and others just run into unexpected issues.

I used to let anyone come in and do any work they wanted but I found out quickly that there are a lot of problems when someone who has never turned a wrench thinks he can replace a transmission.

Sometimes when a person comes in and realizes during the project that they are in over their skill level, they opt to turn it over to the shop to complete. No big deal, that is the comfort of being here, you have the fall-back of us completing it if you can't. Some people choose to just tow it away and complete it somewhere else or have someone else complete it.

The big issue is when people need help. There is always help available from myself or the other mechanics working that day. If it's advice or technique not usually a big deal. The tough one is when someone is stuck. They have a stuck bolt, can't remove a part after it's unbolted (rust) or have already damaged the bolt or part and can't remove it.

They usually ask if we can help them remove it and there is the rub. If we break it, we then have to fix it on our dime unless we specifically let them know that it might break and if they want us to proceed. Other times it gets to be a project and we let them know what it will cost if we remove a specific part that is stuck and replace it. Sometimes they think the $30 to remove a stuck wheel bearing is to much and they pack up their project or they feel we are ripping them off.

I don't like watching a person take 3 hours to replace brake pads and trying 20 different tools to do the job. If I offer to pitch in and help to get it done faster and break something, then I am paying for that.

I just wanted to share something that I run into often, that is really a big deal but doesn't seem like it.
Visit us at http://diyautorepairkc.com/
or call (913) 226-3806

Favorite car from the past (73 Pinto)
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes mild83 liked this post
DIYAutoRepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2016-05-24, 08:49 PM   #2
mild83

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 910
Thanks (Received): 330
Likes (Given): 6276
Likes (Received): 2704
Dislikes (Given): 128
Dislikes (Received): 129

That's a tough spot.

If I were you, I'd probably not even attempt to do anything beyond verbal suggestion, unless they pay for something specifically.
mild83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2016-05-24, 10:04 PM   #3
Scooby24
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 49
Thanks (Received): 689
Likes (Given): 339
Likes (Received): 3951
Dislikes (Given): 27
Dislikes (Received): 40

Getting stuck is one of my biggest concerns about tackling a project. In my experience, something unexpected always goes wrong...which is exactly the appeal of a shop like this, having assistance and/or full service when needed.

It's unfortunate to hear people wouldn't at least give you a first stab at fixing an issue but I'm not sure there's much you could do about that (other than maybe black list them?)

However, as mentioned it might be worth having a waiver available in the event that you have to take over a job that says something to the effect of reasonable efforts (non negligent) provided in an attempt to resolve an issue or complete a job that result in additional expenditures be the sole responsibility of the customer to cover.

Shit happens...and it's a pretty safe bet that if shit happens to you guys on a project, it would be happening to the DIYer as well.
Likes mild83 liked this post
Scooby24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2016-05-28, 11:10 PM   #4
RPOlt4

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 32
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 162
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 7

Yeah, I remember my ordeal with my Corvette. What was supposed to be a one to two day job turned into three weeks. Thought I had the wrong flywheel, ordered another, and it turned out to be the damn pivot stud worn out. You were more than fair with me on that deal.
RPOlt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2016-05-28, 11:24 PM   #5
DIYAutoRepair
**Sponsor**

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 25
Thanks (Received): 192
Likes (Given): 71
Likes (Received): 1301
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 25

^^ That one was a hard one to figure out, it looked normal and usually doesn't go bad.
Visit us at http://diyautorepairkc.com/
or call (913) 226-3806

Favorite car from the past (73 Pinto)
DIYAutoRepair is offline   Reply With Quote