Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > Automotive Forums > General Auto Tech

Unread 2014-08-18, 09:11 AM   #1
MFE

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 23
Thanks (Received): 160
Likes (Given): 64
Likes (Received): 707
Dislikes (Given): 2
Dislikes (Received): 8
Default Lost the turbo in the wife's CX-7...DIY repair?

Apparently it's not uncommon to lunch the turbo on these things, but looking at some cursory AllData info I'm not sure I want to tackle it myself. Anyone ever done it, or know where there's some good DIY writeups? The Mazda forums are a little lacking on these things.
MFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-08-18, 09:15 AM   #2
Scooby24
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 49
Thanks (Received): 689
Likes (Given): 339
Likes (Received): 3951
Dislikes (Given): 27
Dislikes (Received): 40

Hopefully turbo failures in CX-7's aren't similar to turbo failures in subarus.

The bearing metals in the oil takes out your rod bearings as the material hides out in oil coolers and lines and doesn't get removed just from changing the oil and/or the compressor blades that broke off got ingested through the engine and did damage, as well as taking out your catalytic converter.

It's quite catastrophic and more than simply a turbo replacement.
Likes LTe liked this post
Scooby24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-08-18, 11:55 AM   #3
DIYAutoRepair
**Sponsor**

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 25
Thanks (Received): 192
Likes (Given): 71
Likes (Received): 1301
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby24 View Post
Hopefully turbo failures in CX-7's aren't similar to turbo failures in subarus.

The bearing metals in the oil takes out your rod bearings as the material hides out in oil coolers and lines and doesn't get removed just from changing the oil and/or the compressor blades that broke off got ingested through the engine and did damage, as well as taking out your catalytic converter.

It's quite catastrophic and more than simply a turbo replacement.
The CX-7 we did last year was like this. We replaced the turbo but parts were still in the system somewhere and ended up in the engine. Engine lasted another 6 months.
Visit us at http://diyautorepairkc.com/
or call (913) 226-3806

Favorite car from the past (73 Pinto)
DIYAutoRepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-08-18, 12:03 PM   #4
MFE

Post Thanks / Like

I'm kinda hoping against hope that the intercooler acts as a filter LOL
Unread 2014-08-18, 05:28 PM   #5
snm95ls

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 394
Thanks (Received): 349
Likes (Given): 3562
Likes (Received): 2052
Dislikes (Given): 64
Dislikes (Received): 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFE View Post
I'm kinda hoping against hope that the intercooler acts as a filter LOL
That's usually the least of your worries.

The bearings in the center housing tend to leave their shrapnel in the engine's oiling system since they share said oiling system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
...Because I live on a balanced diet, I have a balanced mind, and as a result I know that animals are like people. Some are for looking at. Some are for loving. Some are for riding. And some need to be shot because they’re a bloody nuisance.
snm95ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-09-06, 08:30 AM   #6
LTe

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 105
Thanks (Received): 55
Likes (Given): 819
Likes (Received): 287
Dislikes (Given): 23
Dislikes (Received): 10

I would change the oil cooler and any hose you can.

I had this happen on a different turbo car, I changed the cooler and all rubber hoses, however before I removed the turbo off the car since it was toast, I bypassed the oil lines on the turbo and oil cooler and changed the oil 5 times with fresh oil, I'd run the engine long enough to warm up and change it and did a crack case clean, also stuck several super strong magnets on the bottom of the steel oil pan so it would attract any particles after the 1st oil change. Dropped the oil pan, cleaned up the pan and put a new pan gasket and refilled the oil, replaced my turbo, oil cooler and rubber oil lines and away I went. It was fine for the 2 years I drove it afterwards and then I sold it.
LTe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-09-06, 08:57 AM   #7
Scooby24
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTe View Post
I would change the oil cooler and any hose you can.

I had this happen on a different turbo car, I changed the cooler and all rubber hoses, however before I removed the turbo off the car since it was toast, I bypassed the oil lines on the turbo and oil cooler and changed the oil 5 times with fresh oil, I'd run the engine long enough to warm up and change it and did a crack case clean, also stuck several super strong magnets on the bottom of the steel oil pan so it would attract any particles after the 1st oil change. Dropped the oil pan, cleaned up the pan and put a new pan gasket and refilled the oil, replaced my turbo, oil cooler and rubber oil lines and away I went. It was fine for the 2 years I drove it afterwards and then I sold it.
Unfortunately that's the kind of thoroughness you have to have with a turbo failure....well done.
Unread 2014-09-18, 11:37 PM   #8
MFE

Post Thanks / Like

So yeeeaaaah. I figured it would be a good idea to at least change the oil a few times, so she took it to a local Firestone with a steep coupon and a Blackstone Labs oil sample bottle in hand, and instructions to have the tech save the oil filter for me to look at. Upon looking at the oil sample, the tech told her that if he didn't already know it had suffered a turbo failure, he'd warn her something was terribly wrong.

I could see a few small shards of metal in the filter just looking at it through the bag. Some silvery colored, some bronze. More when I cut it apart and spread it open. I shook the sample bottle and took a look inside, and there are flakes of silvery metal in it. So I'm putting a stop-drive order on it except to take it to a nearby shop and see if I can get them to flush the system as described above.

We drove it 100 miles or so after the initial failure, and another 240 since it was repaired. Hopefully it isn't totally fucked.

Edit: First I'm going to lean on the dealership and see what kind of warranty is on the engine after the turbo repair, because any damage to its bearings is a direct consequence of the turbo failure, and if the repair doesn't adequately account for that, it shouldn't be on the customer.

Last edited by MFE; 2014-09-18 at 11:41 PM..
Unread 2014-09-19, 04:06 PM   #9
NachO_SRT

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 30
Thanks (Received): 73
Likes (Given): 103
Likes (Received): 332
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFE View Post
So yeeeaaaah. I figured it would be a good idea to at least change the oil a few times, so she took it to a local Firestone with a steep coupon and a Blackstone Labs oil sample bottle in hand, and instructions to have the tech save the oil filter for me to look at. Upon looking at the oil sample, the tech told her that if he didn't already know it had suffered a turbo failure, he'd warn her something was terribly wrong.

I could see a few small shards of metal in the filter just looking at it through the bag. Some silvery colored, some bronze. More when I cut it apart and spread it open. I shook the sample bottle and took a look inside, and there are flakes of silvery metal in it. So I'm putting a stop-drive order on it except to take it to a nearby shop and see if I can get them to flush the system as described above.

We drove it 100 miles or so after the initial failure, and another 240 since it was repaired. Hopefully it isn't totally fucked.

Edit: First I'm going to lean on the dealership and see what kind of warranty is on the engine after the turbo repair, because any damage to its bearings is a direct consequence of the turbo failure, and if the repair doesn't adequately account for that, it shouldn't be on the customer.
Honestly as I see that situation, it's a question of - do they repair or are they parts re-placers? - I'd ask the manager that very question - Do you Repair cars? - when he answers yes - then ask him why you got just a part replaced and not a repair?

GL man. sucks that it eated a turbo.
http://www.kcsr.org/signaturepics/sigpic826_1.gif
Quote:
Science will fly you to Mars, Religion will fly you into a building - N. Ruth
Nemo me impune lacessit
NachO_SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-09-19, 05:27 PM   #10
bimmertech

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 42
Likes (Given): 71
Likes (Received): 207
Dislikes (Received): 3

"consequential damage" is the catch phrase you are going to want to use with a dealers service manager. "i'm going to fist fuck you in to next week" is what you go to after the first doesn't work.
bimmertech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-09-20, 03:15 PM   #11
MFE

Post Thanks / Like

So I'm in the process of 5 oil changes in a row with 5-10 miles driving inbetween. Putting 1/2 quart of Marvel Mystery Oil in with each one, and as of now, it's all coming out looking pretty good.
Unread 2015-02-02, 07:33 PM   #12
Scooby24
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Bump, CX-7 still alive?