Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Home Improvement & Do-It-Yourself

Unread 2017-04-01, 07:37 PM   #1
bwiencek

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 20
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 2
Default Getting rid of smoke smell in a house

Friend is buying a house that someone smoked in a bit - it's not as bad as some I've been in but there is a definite smell in there - I know there was a thread a while ago about using ozone generators (negative ion generators?) to get smoke smell out of cars - is there a similar device that can be used in a house before moving in and if so where can one be bought/rented? Just trying to help him figure out another option other than replacing carpet and painting all the walls and ceiling because the carpet is about 2 years old and the walls were probably painted in the last 5 so they really don't need it right now....

Anyone know any other "tricks" to rid a house of a former smoker's smell?

Last edited by bwiencek; 2017-04-01 at 07:41 PM..
bwiencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-04-02, 01:15 PM   #2
error

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 59
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 339
Dislikes (Given): 3
Dislikes (Received): 23

I would recommend a full interior repaint with Killz Primer, not sure about the Ionizers. To save money you can also clean them with diluted bleach solution, but most people would be painting anyway.
error is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-04-03, 11:21 AM   #3
bwiencek

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by error View Post
I would recommend a full interior repaint with Killz Primer, not sure about the Ionizers. To save money you can also clean them with diluted bleach solution, but most people would be painting anyway.
Yeah - that's close to what the realtor recommended - but they painted the house a neutral tan probably 6-8 months ago while doing some 'cleanup' preparing the house for sale so the smell isn't horrible but it's definitely there... Guess about all I can tell him to try washing the walls and having the carpet cleaned and see how it is... At least the house will be empty when they start so hopefully it will be easier to clean everything well.
Unread 2017-04-03, 11:24 AM   #4
mild83

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 943
Thanks (Received): 343
Likes (Given): 6588
Likes (Received): 2805
Dislikes (Given): 133
Dislikes (Received): 138

Error is right.

Smoke is nasty, but killz, then a repainted should do it. And I'd replace the carpet. It'll never come out.
mild83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-04-03, 10:26 PM   #5
MymonteSS

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 23
Likes (Received): 120
Dislikes (Given): 21
Dislikes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mild83 View Post
Error is right.

Smoke is nasty, but killz, then a repainted should do it. And I'd replace the carpet. It'll never come out.
This is pretty much right. Eventually he'd get used to the smell, until he'd leave the house and come back. You're better off at least painting the house. It's not that expensive. Even Home Depot and lowes has some affordable decent paint.
Unread 2017-04-04, 08:10 AM   #6
bwiencek

Post Thanks / Like

Well I think he's going to try cleaning the walls, then painting and having the carpet cleaned and see how bad it is - if it's still there then it sounds like he might have to get the carpet replaced... Said he might even do a wood or laminate in the main living areas if it's got to come out - just would have to find someone to do that since I won't want to get roped into helping do that project...
Unread 2017-04-04, 09:03 AM   #7
mild83

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 943
Thanks (Received): 343
Likes (Given): 6588
Likes (Received): 2805
Dislikes (Given): 133
Dislikes (Received): 138

Washing the walls ain't going to cut it.

Just tell him to suck it up and primer with kills and paint it. It sucks, but it's better to just do it right, imo.
mild83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-04-04, 09:24 AM   #8
jdne5b

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 20
Likes (Given): 25
Likes (Received): 64
Dislikes (Received): 0

Dont forget the ceiling.
Unread 2017-04-04, 09:54 AM   #9
bwiencek

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by mild83 View Post
Washing the walls ain't going to cut it.

Just tell him to suck it up and primer with kills and paint it. It sucks, but it's better to just do it right, imo.
That's why I said clean the walls then paint - I've heard from a painter that I've used in the past if it's real bad nothing will stick well to the buildup of residue on the walls...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdne5b View Post
Don't forget the ceiling.
Yep - painter mentioned that one too so it's on the list to do....
Unread 2017-04-10, 03:54 PM   #10
Corners

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 115
Thanks (Received): 186
Likes (Given): 533
Likes (Received): 1138

I'd remove all the carpet, do a shock treatment with an ozone generator, then I'd paint everything, including the ceiling.

For ozone generators, check out these guys. https://www.amazon.com/Foreverozone-...s=foreverozone
"We must love each other, show affection for each other and unite together in condemnation of hatred, bigotry and violence. We must rediscover the bonds of love and loyalty that bring us together as Americans" - President Trump
Corners is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-04-11, 10:20 AM   #11
bwiencek

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corners View Post
I'd remove all the carpet, do a shock treatment with an ozone generator, then I'd paint everything, including the ceiling.

For ozone generators, check out these guys. https://www.amazon.com/Foreverozone-...s=foreverozone
Right now the plan is to have all the walls washed down, primered, painted (and the ceiling too) and then replace the main flooring with laminate and undecided on the rooms - might try and clean / deodorize the carpet for now in the bedrooms - especially if the ozone generator can get even more of the odor out after a pro cleaning....

Have you used that one or know anyone that used that one - the price sure seems right on it for what it claims to generate...
Unread 2017-04-11, 02:04 PM   #12
Corners

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 115
Thanks (Received): 186
Likes (Given): 533
Likes (Received): 1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiencek View Post
Right now the plan is to have all the walls washed down, primered, painted (and the ceiling too) and then replace the main flooring with laminate and undecided on the rooms - might try and clean / deodorize the carpet for now in the bedrooms - especially if the ozone generator can get even more of the odor out after a pro cleaning....

Have you used that one or know anyone that used that one - the price sure seems right on it for what it claims to generate...
Yes, I have one. Works great. It's basically the insides of a high dollar unit mounted on a plastic plate. You just put a box fan in front of it. It really pumps out the O3.
"We must love each other, show affection for each other and unite together in condemnation of hatred, bigotry and violence. We must rediscover the bonds of love and loyalty that bring us together as Americans" - President Trump
Corners is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-04-15, 01:52 PM   #13
Nick B

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 40
Thanks (Received): 177
Likes (Given): 612
Likes (Received): 1257
Dislikes (Given): 18
Dislikes (Received): 79

I actually bought a house with a room which had been smoked in so I can speak from personal experience.

1. Wash the walls using a mixture of trisodium phosphate and warm water (can buy TSP at hardware stores) until the water is clean. Then, wash them again with soap and water. Then, rinse them with water. TSP is a seriously powerful degreaser which gets the tar off the walls. Plan on wearing latex gloves while using it as it can cause chemical burns with prolonged exposure.
2. Coat EVERY SINGLE SURFACE including the sealing with Kilz oil based primer at least twice. Give it the full drying time + 12 hours in between coats and run a fan in the room to keep air flowing.
3. Paint with your choice of paint.
4. Replace all carpet
5. If there is any way for smoke to get into the attic (via a bathroom fan for example) plan on getting into the attic and removing some of the smoke damaged insulation and replacing.

Tip: Buy a couple cans of Kilz spray paint for the tricky hard to get areas. When I say every surface must be covered I mean it. EVERY. SINGLE. SURFACE!!! If you don't Kilz everything the paint will peel eventually.

This worked for me and you'd never have known someone smoked. A few days worth of work allowed us to buy a house way under market value because people were scared of a little work.

Last edited by Nick B; 2017-04-15 at 01:58 PM..
Nick B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-04-18, 12:41 PM   #14
Prolific

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 446
Thanks (Received): 103
Likes (Given): 3806
Likes (Received): 841
Dislikes (Given): 110
Dislikes (Received): 22

I will never understand how people can smoke cigarettes in their house or in their car with the windows up. When I moved out of my Mom's house her and my brother both started smoking in the house because I was the only one who didn't smoke.

If I go in the house for any length of time, I stink even if they're not currently smoking. Anything that comes from their house just smells terrible. I had a waterpump shipped to my Mom's house and I picked it up the next day, tossed it in the back of my Jeep and went somewhere for lunch. I came out and you'd have sworn Dirty Mike and the boys had just smoked three packs in my car.
1995 Grand Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy has a EK View Post
your just a dumb ass fuck this im done with these dumdasses!.
Prolific is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-04-21, 11:04 AM   #15
sleek98

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 185
Likes (Received): 201
Dislikes (Given): 6
Dislikes (Received): 4

Our lake house used to be a rental that they smoked in. Wasnt horrible but you could tell. Knew we had to do a bit of electrical rewiring so we opened up some sheetrock to get to the wiring. Two big as dumpsters later the entire house was gutted to the studs.

Literally could smell the smoke from the insulation 300-325 ft down the road. Between that and the ceiling joist oozing out nicotine in the summer I will never buy anything that someone has smoked in again.

Like others have said the ceiling is the worst esp if it is a popcorn finish.