Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Home Improvement & Do-It-Yourself

Unread 2018-03-13, 02:41 PM   #1
freekwonder
Guinness Master

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 43
Thanks (Received): 110
Likes (Given): 660
Likes (Received): 784
Dislikes (Given): 8
Dislikes (Received): 16
Default Shop coming along

After 3 1/2 years, I think the shop is coming along. Going from sharing a garage to having a 4 car garage to yourself, still trying to figure out what setups work and what doesn't work, first world problems.

Biggest things on my list:
1. More lights and switch currently lights to LED
2. Bigger compressor
3. Real driveway. shops in the backyard, gravel/grass. Dogs love shitting on it, so I run it over and bring it in the shop.
4. lift of some sort, not sure. Maybe a maxjack or a permanent two/four post.

oh yeah, what's people. Long time no see.

When I first moved in.

And this weekend. Little cleaning up. Still needs more

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Solomon liked this post
freekwonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2018-03-13, 02:43 PM   #2
Scooby24
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 50
Thanks (Received): 698
Likes (Given): 361
Likes (Received): 3995
Dislikes (Given): 27
Dislikes (Received): 40

yooooooooo buddy! Looks awesome! What's the location compared tot he house? How much is a real driveway for it going to cost, looks 'spensive.
Unread 2018-03-13, 02:53 PM   #3
freekwonder
Guinness Master

Post Thanks / Like

What up budddddy!!!!!!! Thanks man. Definitely still needs some more cleaning, but nice having the room to work on my ride and not feel rushed.

haven't priced out concrete work yet. It's a long term house project thats behind the crawl space sealing, retaining walls, and solar panels. Luckily the shop gets sun all day long (even up here hahaha) so it's on the short list for solar.

The shop is in the back yard, luckily can't be seen from the street. All gravel (red and blue). Want to keep the red part gravel so it isn't obvious there is something in the backyard. And just the blue part concrete.

Unread 2018-03-13, 03:36 PM   #4
DIYAutoRepair
**Sponsor**

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 25
Thanks (Received): 194
Likes (Given): 71
Likes (Received): 1346
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 25

Looks good, a lot of space to work.

For lighting go with T-5's, much more light but expensive. Locate them where the front and rear of the vehicle would be, not over the vehicle.

Instead of air, I would use battery impacts and electric cut off tools etc. Just use air for blowing clean areas and filling tires.

It looks to short for a full lift so you will be stuck with a Maxi-Jack.

Enjoy it.

What size is the shop, looks like 25' x 40'?
Visit us at http://diyautorepairkc.com/
or call (913) 226-3806

Favorite car from the past (73 Pinto)
DIYAutoRepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2018-03-13, 04:57 PM   #5
freekwonder
Guinness Master

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYAutoRepair View Post
Looks good, a lot of space to work.

For lighting go with T-5's, much more light but expensive. Locate them where the front and rear of the vehicle would be, not over the vehicle.

Instead of air, I would use battery impacts and electric cut off tools etc. Just use air for blowing clean areas and filling tires.

It looks to short for a full lift so you will be stuck with a Maxi-Jack.

Enjoy it.

What size is the shop, looks like 25' x 40'?

Thanks, for a home hobbyist, it's a good amount of space, yup, about 25'x40'. The room on the right has two small work benches and all of our R/C car stuff.

I have a bunch of old t12/t8 housings I took out of mom's room and have been slowly converting them to T8 LED, not sure if I can convert them to T5. I know it's just as cheap to buy new integrated LED fixtures. but these are 4 bulb fixtures, so where I need a lot of light I can put 4 bulbs in, or put 1 in for minimal light. Plus I know the bulbs shouldn't burn out, but if there is a problem with a bulb, I can replace the bulb, not a whole fixture.

one thing I would love is to put motion sensors on the lights, kind of section the shop off. there are three light switches now, and habit is to just turn them all one, but if I don't go in the far side of the shop they don't need to on. Plus (rarely happens) when I look outside and forgot to turn lights off so would be nice if they either shut off them self or I could control with Alexa.
Unread 2018-03-13, 05:07 PM   #6
phreakdna

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 160
Thanks (Received): 115
Likes (Given): 395
Likes (Received): 632
Dislikes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by freekwonder View Post
Thanks, for a home hobbyist, it's a good amount of space, yup, about 25'x40'. The room on the right has two small work benches and all of our R/C car stuff.

I have a bunch of old t12/t8 housings I took out of mom's room and have been slowly converting them to T8 LED, not sure if I can convert them to T5. I know it's just as cheap to buy new integrated LED fixtures. but these are 4 bulb fixtures, so where I need a lot of light I can put 4 bulbs in, or put 1 in for minimal light. Plus I know the bulbs shouldn't burn out, but if there is a problem with a bulb, I can replace the bulb, not a whole fixture.

one thing I would love is to put motion sensors on the lights, kind of section the shop off. there are three light switches now, and habit is to just turn them all one, but if I don't go in the far side of the shop they don't need to on. Plus (rarely happens) when I look outside and forgot to turn lights off so would be nice if they either shut off them self or I could control with Alexa.
yeah, if you have a smart things hub with one of their motion detectors, you should be able to make that work... Microcenter was selling the hub, two multisensors, one motion, and a water leak detector for $110 a couple weeks ago and then I thought it was $120 last week...

would allow you to have the lights work even without an echo (if you don't have one out there already). however if you're under the car you might not trip it.

looks good man. definitely jealous of the space
Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that ”all men are created equal.” We now practically read it “all men are created equal, except negroes” When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read “all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics.” When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocricy. - Lincoln
phreakdna is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 2018-03-13, 05:35 PM   #7
freekwonder
Guinness Master

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakdna View Post
yeah, if you have a smart things hub with one of their motion detectors, you should be able to make that work... Microcenter was selling the hub, two multisensors, one motion, and a water leak detector for $110 a couple weeks ago and then I thought it was $120 last week...

would allow you to have the lights work even without an echo (if you don't have one out there already). however if you're under the car you might not trip it.

looks good man. definitely jealous of the space
We do have an echo plus, but that is in the house. I'd have to get a smarthings hub in the shop. Might have to look in to that option. Luckily we have networking/wifi out there. Had to bury conduit and run a 100' cable, but it was worth it.

Thanks, doors always open man
Unread 2018-03-14, 09:34 AM   #8
freekwonder
Guinness Master

Post Thanks / Like

Here are a couple more shots. My 60s/70s?? Craftsman drill press, and 50s Dewalt radial arm saw.

Then the R/C room.

Unread 2018-03-14, 11:12 AM   #9
phreakdna

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 160
Thanks (Received): 115
Likes (Given): 395
Likes (Received): 632
Dislikes (Received): 36

the last shot looks like the set of a nerd-based brcc

(and I'm still jealous lol)
Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that ”all men are created equal.” We now practically read it “all men are created equal, except negroes” When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read “all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics.” When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocricy. - Lincoln
phreakdna is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 2018-03-14, 11:54 AM   #10
freekwonder
Guinness Master

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakdna View Post
the last shot looks like the set of a nerd-based brcc

(and I'm still jealous lol)
I'd be game for that. lol.

Did get interviews by a friend in the shop, but no casting couch shenanigans.
Unread 2018-03-14, 10:36 PM   #11
01fordgazguzler

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 47
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 274
Likes (Received): 79
Dislikes (Given): 6
Dislikes (Received): 5

Looks good!

Lowes has a Husky 60 gallon for $500. They sold out and offered to deliver for free. Placed it where I wanted it.
Unread 2018-03-15, 08:59 AM   #12
freekwonder
Guinness Master

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01fordgazguzler View Post
Looks good!

Lowes has a Husky 60 gallon for $500. They sold out and offered to deliver for free. Placed it where I wanted it.
Been looking at that one. Had the money a few months ago, but broke down and bought the r/c car, next to the blue jeep on the counter.
Unread 2018-03-16, 10:53 AM   #13
ReidStylez
Yahh Trick Yahh!

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 100
Likes (Given): 43
Likes (Received): 943
Dislikes (Given): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01fordgazguzler View Post
Looks good!

Home Depot sells Husky but it is $500 at Home Depot.

Lowes has a 60 Gallon Kobalt for $500.

I have a 30 Gallon Husky and it's quieter than any air compressor I've had.
Unread 2018-03-16, 02:49 PM   #14
freekwonder
Guinness Master

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReidStylez View Post
Home Depot sells Husky but it is $500 at Home Depot.

Lowes has a 60 Gallon Kobalt for $500.

I have a 30 Gallon Husky and it's quieter than any air compressor I've had.
That's right, and I was looking at the Lowes Kobalt one. Guess I like the flat black more lol.

Now if I REALLY had the money, I'd grab this one. Especially if it is as quiet as they say.
https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-qs...ompressor.html
Unread 2018-03-16, 02:54 PM   #15
ReidStylez
Yahh Trick Yahh!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
That's right, and I was looking at the Lowes Kobalt one. Guess I like the flat black more lol.

Now if I REALLY had the money, I'd grab this one. Especially if it is as quiet as they say.
https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-qs...ompressor.html
Make a little outhouse for it outside the shop and it'll be fairly quiet.
Unread 2018-03-16, 03:17 PM   #16
freekwonder
Guinness Master

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Make a little outhouse for it outside the shop and it'll be fairly quiet.
My brother mentioned I should do that. Just if I have the room. the left and back walls are RIGHT up on the property lines (was built in the 70s when they could get away with it), I might be able to on the right side, but we plan to put some rain collection there. After we do the barrels if there is room I'll put a little shack there for a compressor.
Unread 2018-03-16, 08:56 PM   #17
ReidStylez
Yahh Trick Yahh!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
My brother mentioned I should do that. Just if I have the room. the left and back walls are RIGHT up on the property lines (was built in the 70s when they could get away with it), I might be able to on the right side, but we plan to put some rain collection there. After we do the barrels if there is room I'll put a little shack there for a compressor.
We have a bush our AC unit from the street that I thought about removing and adding on to the garage for a dust collector and air compressor shed type area.
Unread 2018-03-19, 08:42 AM   #18
freekwonder
Guinness Master

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
We have a bush our AC unit from the street that I thought about removing and adding on to the garage for a dust collector and air compressor shed type area.
Yeah it would be nice. My other option is way down the road we plan to redo our pool and pool equipment shed. It's close enough to the shop, that I could make room in there for a compressor. And there are already underground pipes running from it to the shop, since the shed gets it's power from the shop.
Unread 2018-03-21, 06:25 PM   #19
tim_ws6

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 183
Likes (Received): 477
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 2

Nice setup. I dig the hobby room too

2002 CETA | 2012 Sierra Denali
tim_ws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2018-03-22, 09:12 AM   #20
freekwonder
Guinness Master

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. Was my uncle's idea, his neighbor did the same concept. Mainly for heating/cooling. Instead of trying to heat/cool the whole shop, just do a smaller sized room. And it worked out for a couple smaller workbenches for smaller stuff, and keeps the area a little cleaner from sawdust and other stuff.
Unread 2018-03-25, 06:15 PM   #21
inis

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 71
Thanks (Received): 58
Likes (Given): 265
Likes (Received): 331
Dislikes (Given): 17
Dislikes (Received): 32

Looks like Washington is treating you good Lance!
Unread 2018-03-26, 09:25 AM   #22
freekwonder
Guinness Master

Post Thanks / Like

So far it is. Still getting used to the winters up here, but loving the summers.

Lazy weekend her. Just got bored and hung up some air r/c chassis from the ceiling. The plane my dad bought when we were visiting his brother. He lives on the spokane river so it originally had pontoons on it for water landing/take off. Sadly dad crashed it, but we were able to save the plane. Just threw the wheels on it, need to fix a few things before she will fly again.

The quad copter chassis I jut grabbed for a couple bucks when hobby king was having a huge sale. Have no idea what electrons I'll put on them.

Unread 2018-03-26, 09:40 AM   #23
freekwonder
Guinness Master

Post Thanks / Like

accidental post