Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > Automotive Forums > Video & Photography

Unread 2019-03-21, 04:31 PM   #126
Dave B
Creating DaveBisms

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 134
Likes (Given): 25
Likes (Received): 1016
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
More updates and yes, I am buying from the BMW M Performance catalog to a large extent LOL. Added:

- M Performance dry carbon fiber e-brake handle
- M Performance side blades (go under the rockers, very hard to photograph, good for reducing rock chips to the sills, slightly more aggressive look)
- M Performance LSD. HOLY. HELL. The difference in traction in turns and a straightline. 30% lock-up on acceleration and 10% on deceleration.
- I vinyl wrapped the side mirrors in gloss black
- Removed one of two "over-center" springs from the clutch pedal to get better clutch feel as the stock feel is quite light and hard to feel the friction point.
- BMS 3.5" gloss black exhaust tips
- Dinantronic Sport Tuner. Adds about 30whp/40wtq. Basically puts the power in the M2 range (~330-335whp/360-370wtq) plus the car is fractionally lighter than an M2 and with a bit less rotational weight due to the smaller wheels and brakes. Quite a noticeable gain for $300 plus BT ability to switch between -3psi under stock (great for snow driving) and +4psi over stock.

The car hauls ass for what it is and the power it has. The car is still rock solid after 27 months and nearly 30K miles of ownership.

Minor updates:

- I've turned off the Dinan Sport tuner for now. It adds power, but slight and part throttle sometimes aren't consistent. Power at full throttle is generally good, but sometimes it's not consistent and power can feel erratic occasionally. I'll likely add a flash tune later in the year which adds significant power and OEM driveability.

- In January of this year I added the M Performance "dry" real carbon fiber and black Alacantra trim pieces to replace the aluminum trim in the interior. These are basically the same pieces out of the M2.

- A couple of weeks ago I added a 300 cell HJS Euro 6 downpipe to replace the stock 700 cell downpipe. There is a notable increase in power between 2,500rpms and 5,500rpms and some additional power above that, but it's most notable in that range. Dynojets show around ~20-25whp and ~30-35wtq increase across the entire powerband. That puts the power in the 335whp and 360wtq range or essentially M2 power (upper 12s@110mph+ with a 6MT). The extra power is really nice, but the new sound is intoxicating. It's deeper, more warble, fluid, free of rasp, and more exotic sounding, but without being boy-racer. Throttle response is greatly improved too. It's perfect.

- Square 245/35R18 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S go on this Saturday on my aftermarket rims. I greatly look forward to have having much wider rubber on the front axle compared to the stock 225/40R18 size. The 245/35 has a 1.3 wider contact patch. The biggest issue with this car was the narrow front tires.

Last edited by Dave B; 2019-03-21 at 04:34 PM..
Dave B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2019-03-21, 05:11 PM   #127
Mike V

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 40
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 427
Likes (Received): 406
Dislikes (Given): 2
Dislikes (Received): 10

Interested to hear what you think of the PS4S. I put those on my SS and I'm disappointed. It might be because the SS is an almost-4k lb heavy pig but the PS4S grip level has been less than stellar and they are noisy when pushed a little.

I'm convinced that the Firestone Indy 500 is the bargain tire these days. I had those on my M3 and loved them but then again, the M3 was 750 lbs lighter. I would've put them on my SS but they were on backorder at the time in the 19" SS sizes.
Mike V is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2019-03-25, 02:50 PM   #128
Dave B
Creating DaveBisms

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V View Post
Interested to hear what you think of the PS4S. I put those on my SS and I'm disappointed. It might be because the SS is an almost-4k lb heavy pig but the PS4S grip level has been less than stellar and they are noisy when pushed a little.

I'm convinced that the Firestone Indy 500 is the bargain tire these days. I had those on my M3 and loved them but then again, the M3 was 750 lbs lighter. I would've put them on my SS but they were on backorder at the time in the 19" SS sizes.
I'll have to see. The mag and video reviews show the PS4s being a better tire than the MPSS. My car came with the MPSS as stock and I thought they were pretty damn good for a street tire on my M235. I had them on my WRX and felt the same way.

I've found that they wear well and evenly, they grip really good when warm, and they're quiet. What I don't like about them is they are frightening in sub 50 degree temps, they take a while to get up to temp, and they can get greasy if they get cooked. I also found that the rubber degrades quicker than other summer tires I've had in the past. My MPSS tires still had a few thousand miles left in them, but the rubber was done. I also hated having the narrow 225 width up front.

My PS4s were mounted on Saturday and I'm breaking them. Recent pics of the car.

Unread 2019-03-25, 04:04 PM   #129
Mike V

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 40
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 427
Likes (Received): 406
Dislikes (Given): 2
Dislikes (Received): 10

Quote:
I'll have to see. The mag and video reviews show the PS4s being a better tire than the MPSS.

Yeah I haven't read much bad about the PS4S except for one review on the new Mustang, when they started putting PS4S on those. The writer commented about a strange lack of grip from the PS4S. I forgot to bookmark it and of course now I can't find that article again.

Others on the SS forum say they do wear quicker than previous Michelin Pilot Sports. Ah well...
Mike V is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2019-03-29, 07:28 AM   #130
AUR11

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 32
Likes (Given): 48
Likes (Received): 272
Dislikes (Given): 10
Dislikes (Received): 9

If you don’t mind me asking how much did the rear diff run with install? My wife is wanting to add it to her 340i m sport rwd. Car was ordered with mppsk and track handling package but it definitely needs lsd.
Unread 2019-04-01, 01:36 PM   #131
Dave B
Creating DaveBisms

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUR11 View Post
If you donít mind me asking how much did the rear diff run with install? My wife is wanting to add it to her 340i m sport rwd. Car was ordered with mppsk and track handling package but it definitely needs lsd.
Hendrick BMW of Kansas City price matched the best online offer I found for $1,950. It was 3.5 hours to install which is the BMW book time as confirmed by internet searches for what others said labor was at BMW. The tech installing the diff was adamant that he check the fluid level in the diff before install because it had been his experience that some BMW diffs are underfilled from the factory and itís a pain to check the level and add fluid after the diff is installed. He found the diff slightly underfilled and added about ĺ pint of BMW LSD-spec fluid. All in, it was about $2,700 for the LSD, labor, fluid, and tax. Yeah, crazy expensive.

The LSD is a 3 clutch lock-up with 30% lock-up on acceleration and 9% on deceleration. Pretty ideal for street driving and moderate track use. The LSD is built for BMW by Drexler, an Australian company known for making some of the best LSDs for racing. It's a very high quality piece. It makes a monumental difference in the way the car handles and behaves.
Unread 2019-04-01, 08:28 PM   #132
AUR11

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 32
Likes (Received): 272
Dislikes (Given): 10
Dislikes (Received): 9

Quote:
Hendrick BMW of Kansas City price matched the best online offer I found for $1,950. It was 3.5 hours to install which is the BMW book time as confirmed by internet searches for what others said labor was at BMW. The tech installing the diff was adamant that he check the fluid level in the diff before install because it had been his experience that some BMW diffs are underfilled from the factory and itís a pain to check the level and add fluid after the diff is installed. He found the diff slightly underfilled and added about ĺ pint of BMW LSD-spec fluid. All in, it was about $2,700 for the LSD, labor, fluid, and tax. Yeah, crazy expensive.

The LSD is a 3 clutch lock-up with 30% lock-up on acceleration and 9% on deceleration. Pretty ideal for street driving and moderate track use. The LSD is built for BMW by Drexler, an Australian company known for making some of the best LSDs for racing. It's a very high quality piece. It makes a monumental difference in the way the car handles and behaves.
Thanks! That seems like a decent price for the performance gains. My wifeís 340i should put down 370-380whp and definitely would benefit. You can send me a PM, but Iíd be curious as to who your tech was. We didnít have a very good experience at hendrick BMW and have stuck with Baron for this and the 128i.
Unread 2019-04-04, 04:07 PM   #133
Dave B
Creating DaveBisms

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUR11 View Post
Thanks! That seems like a decent price for the performance gains. My wife’s 340i should put down 370-380whp and definitely would benefit. You can send me a PM, but I’d be curious as to who your tech was. We didn’t have a very good experience at hendrick BMW and have stuck with Baron for this and the 128i.
I've had great experience with Hendrick BMW over nearly 3 years. My M235 had an ECU reflash about one year into ownership, but otherwise no issues. I've had my free maintenance covered by them which has included three oil changes, windshield wipers, and a brake flush. They did the LSD install too, obviously. I've always worked with Kevin Wong for service and worked with Justin Heger, parts manager, on the LSD order. I do not know who the tech was that worked on my car. Would that be on the work invoice?

My car has been in their hand 5 times now over the years. The car has always been returned on time and never with any damage. Although I did order my car from Baron, I've heard many horror stories about Baron service and was told by many (including a few on this site) to avoid them if I could. Plus, their unsecured back lot is always full of cars awaiting service. That made me nervous about my car parked outside over night, getting my car back on time, and/or them having a loaner available. The Hendrick BMW store is a lot cleaner, they have a huge up to date waiting area, and a way more laid back atmosphere.

Those B58s with the MPPK are quite strong, no doubt. The LSD will make it feel like you added 500lbs over the rear axle. There's a ton more traction in all situations and you can hammer it more often in the lower gears with less risk of shredding the tires. Even when there is spin, a lot more energy is still transferred into forward momentum. With the open diff, you can get both wheels to spin and the back end to slide in Sport+ or DSC Off, but the brakes trying to control the spin really makes the behavior quite wonky and unpredictable. You'll love it.

Last edited by Dave B; 2019-04-04 at 04:14 PM..
Unread 2019-04-05, 05:59 PM   #134
87supraT

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 22
Likes (Received): 92
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 1

Those things are nice! Good looking car!