Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > Automotive Forums > Video & Photography

Unread 2017-07-21, 10:44 AM   #76
CosmosM3

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 27
Thanks (Received): 46
Likes (Given): 182
Likes (Received): 217
Dislikes (Given): 5
Dislikes (Received): 6

Based on your prior posts and your most recent update did you have to find a new builder? Sounds like some more stuff happened if it didn't leave until 07/19...
Unread 2017-07-21, 12:50 PM   #77
so.DOPE

Location: From a 70 mph roll, 2 red tail lights radically morph to one...
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 73
Likes (Given): 171
Likes (Received): 593
Dislikes (Given): 43
Dislikes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosM3 View Post
Based on your prior posts and your most recent update did you have to find a new builder? Sounds like some more stuff happened if it didn't leave until 07/19...
Same builder but there were multiple delays worked in there between my last and most recent posts unfortunately. My frame has been sitting on the palette ready to install since 6/1 or 6/3 IIRC.

The builder and I had planned on it getting there in mid April (or even as late as mid May) but that didn't happen because Detroit Speed was waiting on the Hydro-formed frame rails to show up (they outsource those). Because of that delay it set back the frame delivery date.

With racing season kicking off right around May other cars started cutting in line that require simple dyno tunes/suspension adjustments. The plan had been to get mine in and out of the shop before racing season but the delayed frame prevented that from happening so now I have to wait on him finding extra time between his maintenance type work.

See, all of the cars (some $200k+) that he has built over the years come to him between weekends expecting tweaks and tunes so they can be ready for Friday/Saturday.

He simply doesn't have the time for a 2 week long full on project.

It doesn't help that he also competes in the NHRA (east coast primarily) as his primary career. He travels often.

Spencer Davis Group - Blues in F
so.DOPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-07-21, 01:01 PM   #78
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 254
Likes (Given): 2549
Likes (Received): 1708
Dislikes (Given): 24
Dislikes (Received): 47

Pretty understandable. I'm sure you're anxious to get going, but I see where he is coming from. It doesn't sound like he is just puttering around and it sounds like he's being honest with you. If he does great work, I'm sure it's worth the delay.
Keboh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-07-21, 01:49 PM   #79
so.DOPE

Post Thanks / Like

What I had been trying to get done has slightly changed since early February.

Obviously getting the new frame and sub frame connectors installed is still going to happen but I'm also getting the tunnel cut for a T56 Magnum (trying to keep the center console as well).

Because I'll need to re-route/weld exhaust hangers, hardline for brake and fuel; I've opted to hold off the SPI Epoxy spray until the next go-round. After everything gets blasted it's just getting put in primer.

Then in a few years when funds get replenished I'll have everything that will be in primer; painted with SPI Epoxy (to avoid all of the paint work get ruined from the welding that's still to come - during welding up the exhaust, frame, frame ties and fuel/brake lines).

Was really hoping to cross the paintwork (everything non body related) off the list but it doesn't make any logistical sense. So it'll have to wait.

With the extra funds of skipping the SPI Epoxy, hopefully I can roll those saved funds in to a firewall work, truck patch work etc.

Car isn't getting the heater put back in and I'm opting for manual steering so there's a lot of firewall work to plan.

Still waiting on the final (new price estimate) now that the builder has eyes on the car at his shop.

Last edited by so.DOPE; 2017-07-21 at 02:00 PM..
Unread 2017-07-21, 02:30 PM   #80
so.DOPE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keboh View Post
Pretty understandable. I'm sure you're anxious to get going, but I see where he is coming from. It doesn't sound like he is just puttering around and it sounds like he's being honest with you. If he does great work, I'm sure it's worth the delay.
There are days when I'm really impatient with everything.

Then I realize if everything goes absolutely perfectly financially speaking; it MAY be road ready in 8-10 years.

Closer to 15. So what's the rush really.

$30k powertrains will do that.

Unread 2017-07-21, 03:11 PM   #81
CosmosM3

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 27
Thanks (Received): 46
Likes (Given): 182
Likes (Received): 217
Dislikes (Given): 5
Dislikes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by so.DOPE View Post
Same builder but there were multiple delays worked in there between my last and most recent posts unfortunately. My frame has been sitting on the palette ready to install since 6/1 or 6/3 IIRC.

The builder and I had planned on it getting there in mid April (or even as late as mid May) but that didn't happen because Detroit Speed was waiting on the Hydro-formed frame rails to show up (they outsource those). Because of that delay it set back the frame delivery date.

With racing season kicking off right around May other cars started cutting in line that require simple dyno tunes/suspension adjustments. The plan had been to get mine in and out of the shop before racing season but the delayed frame prevented that from happening so now I have to wait on him finding extra time between his maintenance type work.

See, all of the cars (some $200k+) that he has built over the years come to him between weekends expecting tweaks and tunes so they can be ready for Friday/Saturday.

He simply doesn't have the time for a 2 week long full on project.

It doesn't help that he also competes in the NHRA (east coast primarily) as his primary career. He travels often.
Makes perfect sense, I was more concerned with the fact that you earlier indicated it had to be delivered by mid June or you would have to find another builder. When I saw it didn't get delivered until a month after, I wondered if you were able to keep the same builder or if you had to find someone new.

I'm maybe not as understanding as most about part delays, they choose to outsource, they choose to run the risk of massive delays, you have to own the delays and not push excuses about why it's taking so long. If the company you outsource too can't consistently deliver then find one who can or bring that portion back in house.
Unread 2017-07-21, 03:23 PM   #82
so.DOPE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosM3 View Post
Makes perfect sense, I was more concerned with the fact that you earlier indicated it had to be delivered by mid June or you would have to find another builder. When I saw it didn't get delivered until a month after, I wondered if you were able to keep the same builder or if you had to find someone new.

I'm maybe not as understanding as most about part delays, they choose to outsource, they choose to run the risk of massive delays, you have to own the delays and not push excuses about why it's taking so long. If the company you outsource too can't consistently deliver then find one who can or bring that portion back in house.
I originally was going to have a different shop altogether sandblast it in between Randy (my builder) ripping it apart and re-assembling it.

Then Randy informed me he already had a guy that he uses all the time for his sandblasting work. Meaning, I didn't have to worry about scheduling anything with a third party sandblast/paint shop.

Detroit Speed did end up refunding me ~$515 for the delay. Really cool of them because I didn't even complain or ever mention it. I only noticed it when I started looking through my paperwork.

Detroit Speed only makes about 12 powdercoated frames for 2nd gens a year I guess. This year, they already made 14 (that was in April). Higher demand that normal I guess.

Unread 2017-07-28, 02:18 PM   #83
so.DOPE

Post Thanks / Like

7/28: Firewall

In keeping true to the direction of the car (manual brakes, manual steering, no a/c, no parking brake, etc.) I've decided to not put the heater or any corresponding heater related parts back in the car.

Less weight, less hassle, less non-sense.

Picked this up the other day: https://detroitspeed.com/1970-1981-F...ill-plate.html

I figured instead of patching holes; buy the full panel.

Unread 2017-07-28, 02:40 PM   #84
so.DOPE

Post Thanks / Like

8/3: Update

Motor, trans, exhaust have all been dropped.

1) The next step will be to grind down areas of the undercarriage that warrant some attention prior to blasting and primer. Since the car has zero possibility of ever seeing rain I've also opted to have any factory drain hole, flex joint addressed with equal attention to detail and capped.

2) Then the old front sub-frame finally gets exchanged with the new sub-frame (prior to the rotisserie build/mock-up). We're going to remove the D.S.E. stocks and wrap all joints and bushings prior to sandblast and primer (just one extra step of precaution). The entire rear axle is getting dropped along with the rear shocks. Temporary mounting locations will then be welded to the car in order to mock it up on the rotisserie.

3) Next it gets blasted and primed. This should be happening tomorrow and over the weekend rolling in to the early part of next week.

4) Once back from blast/paint the rear axle and suspension will get re-installed and it goes back on all fours. By mid week next week we should have a good idea if the rear tail panel and trunk pan survived the blast well enough to just patch or if we should go through with an entire replacement.

5) By late next week the transmission tunnel work will begin along with any trunk patch work and tail panel work. If either warrant a full on replacement; that would have to wait until next go-round because it's a very extensive endeavor so I'm hoping they withstand the glassblast.

6) Then, the firewall can be patched along with the sub-frame connector install.

Last edited by so.DOPE; 2017-08-04 at 10:02 AM..
Unread 2017-08-04, 09:58 AM   #85
so.DOPE

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp3j...93D-zVFwQbCvbE

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly.

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp3jHiDjGNE&list=PLt9p_RV_iJ7GGHxuAl793D-zVFwQbCvbE

For some reason I was under the impression that grinding off powder coat wasn't that big of a deal. Apparently it is. Because I ordered the pre-fabbed powder coated version of the frame we have to grind off a good section of powder coat from the frame prior to welding. On top of that...I'm concerned some could be compromised during welding.

Builder will be going very slowly to refrain from destroying the coating.

I'm going to stop in this weekend and grab some photos. Might take a day off mid week as well.

Last edited by so.DOPE; 2017-08-04 at 10:09 AM..
Unread 2017-08-22, 02:11 PM   #86
so.DOPE

Post Thanks / Like

8/22: Media Blasting

Car leaves for media blasting on Thursday. I'll be in town that week to stop in for some update photos.

Excited to see her.

Unread 2017-09-25, 02:05 PM   #87
so.DOPE

Post Thanks / Like

9/25: Update -

The shop handling the media blast portion of this project put in over 10 hours of blast time. They completed the firewall, interior pans, sections or the truck and sections of the undercarriage. They called it quits after getting to a point where the factory undercoating was too 'gummy and eating up material at an alarming rate' inside the trunk, and tail panel. My builder has pulled the car out of that shop and sent it to another shop where it is now. Thankfully I've been told the car has been stored inside thus far. Also, the new frame has not been mounted yet. This made me very happy considering I didn't want that $10,500 frame getting compromised with sand/media in any way.

The second shop is going to attempt to chemically coat the remaining sections with the hope of removing the rest of the factory gunk / undercoating. The car has never been undercoated before so I'm not sure why this is such a hassle? I have read others running in to this issue before when trying to take these cars down to bare metal on the underside and trunk. So, I guess this is what they were talking about? I know exactly what areas he is talking about though. When I was poking around down there before I gave him the car...some of this crap is like half of an inch think of...gunk...I guess. Very strange substance.

Thus far I owe the first media blasting shop $550 and the next shop at least $1,000.

The car is on a six wheel stand - custom made (not a rotisserie). I am supposed to get pics today or tomorrow. I've been asked to write a check for $2,000 so my builder can at least pay the media blasting shops what they are owed. When I asked for a ballpark estimate my builder said that's not possible because of the variable that is media blasting (since it's not done yet). He assured me that I will get an estimate of what the final bill will be and what I owe him as soon as he gets her back. The $1,000 to the next shop includes paint and supplies as well.

I've been told she has been fighting them every step of the way thus far. Good news is that he has been very impressed with the underside and overall condition of the car.

Unread 2017-10-13, 08:51 AM   #88
so.DOPE

Post Thanks / Like

10/12: Update -

Stopped by the shop unannounced yesterday. It turns out the second shop we outsourced it to (to have the factory undercoating removed) hasn't made any progress so far.

My builder told me the shop he outsourced my car to was unsuccessful removing the undercoat. Apparently that shop essentially told my builder to take the car back, to take a heat gun to it and remove it himself.

What a literal mess. What a nightmare. So, with that my builder is picking my car up from the second shop he outsourced it to later tomorrow (10/13) and will have to figure out another option. By option...I mean another shop capable of removing the undercoat.

As far as a timeline. I have no idea when I can expect this part of the project to be completed. I have never heard of such a hassle removing factory undercoat before. When I asked my builder this question he said there have been a few GM cars produced around the same time my '76 was that have given him a similar situation / problem. He did mention how much of a pain this was going to be back in May / June but I assumed this was just as a 'matter of fact' (like...okay, this is going to be expensive and will take some time) and that he had some sort of solution considering he has built / worked on numerous cars of this generation / timestamp.

I mean what in the literal hell is going on? You're telling me people with GM cars from the '70s just simply never remove the factory undercoat? They never take the undercarriage down to bare metal? I just don't understand.

Who knows.

I believe...if I recall...that my car was produced in Michigan (I could be wrong). It was ordered in NY and shipped to NY (to my father in '75). Is it possible that Northeastern cars got some special undercoat from the factory or something? When I asked my father if he ever had it protected or opted for some special undercoat option (or the like) he was very adamant that he did not. The car only saw 1 winter in its entire life. Was garaged its entire life and had only 36,000 original miles as of March '17. Maybe the factory undercoating just held up too well?

Listen to me ramble.

Unread 2017-10-13, 10:31 AM   #89
77Nova

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 23
Likes (Received): 85
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 0

Quote:
I mean what in the literal hell is going on? You're telling me people with GM cars from the '70s just simply never remove the factory undercoat? They never take the undercarriage down to bare metal? I just don't understand.

Who knows.
I knows.

I took it down to bare metal and it isn't hard, it's time consuming. I have over 40 hours tied up in removing the undercoat on my '77... and that's just from the transmission back. Heat gun and scraper works on some areas, but the majority was done on my back with a 4 1/2" grinder using an assortment of knotted wire wheels, sanding discs, etc. It was not fun.

You are young, unmarried and have a garage.. Why don't you just do it yourself? You'll save a bunch of money and it sounds like it will get done much sooner and closer to the fun part.
77Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-10-13, 10:46 AM   #90
BryanW203

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 76
Likes (Given): 142
Likes (Received): 523
Dislikes (Given): 233
Dislikes (Received): 38

If its not coming off I wouldn't waste and time or money removing it. Its doing its job.

2006 Mercedes E500 4Matic Wagon
2008 Mercedes R350 4Matic
1995 Mercedes SL600
BryanW203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-10-13, 11:41 AM   #91
so.DOPE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Nova View Post
I knows.

I took it down to bare metal and it isn't hard, it's time consuming. I have over 40 hours tied up in removing the undercoat on my '77... and that's just from the transmission back. Heat gun and scraper works on some areas, but the majority was done on my back with a 4 1/2" grinder using an assortment of knotted wire wheels, sanding discs, etc. It was not fun.

You are young, unmarried and have a garage.. Why don't you just do it yourself? You'll save a bunch of money and it sounds like it will get done much sooner and closer to the fun part.
I was quoted at $2,000 for the blasting and spray. Money well spent in my opinion.

Unread 2017-10-13, 11:49 AM   #92
so.DOPE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanW203 View Post
If its not coming off I wouldn't waste and time or money removing it. Its doing its job.
While it's main purpose / duty will be performing; being visually perfect is also a high priority.

Cost isn't really a concern since I have no time restriction.

SPI Epoxy is the only acceptable paint option post removal.

Unread 2017-10-13, 12:11 PM   #93
77Nova

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
I was quoted at $2,000 for the blasting and spray. Money well spent in my opinion.
$2k for removal and epoxy?? You are right, that would be money well spent and one smoking good deal.

I think I know why everyone is turning down the job. $2k is what, 15-20 shop hours in NY? Nobody is going to be making money on that job for $2k. Last time I checked SPI Epoxy alone was over $100 gallon.

Hopefully your guy can find another shop to do the work. Is dipping the shell an option? Never really looked into it, but I've read of guys cleaning things up that way.

Good luck man, I look forward to seeing the car when it is finished. Sounds like you are really going the extra mile on this build.
Unread 2017-10-15, 06:25 PM   #94
so.DOPE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Nova View Post
$2k for removal and epoxy?? You are right, that would be money well spent and one smoking good deal.

I think I know why everyone is turning down the job. $2k is what, 15-20 shop hours in NY? Nobody is going to be making money on that job for $2k. Last time I checked SPI Epoxy alone was over $100 gallon.

Hopefully your guy can find another shop to do the work. Is dipping the shell an option? Never really looked into it, but I've read of guys cleaning things up that way.

Good luck man, I look forward to seeing the car when it is finished. Sounds like you are really going the extra mile on this build.
Interesting you proposed dipping the fucker because honestly I'm nearly at that point. I'm taking off work tomorrow to talk to this fucking guy. If I can get the thing dipped locally; and it's in the budget; fuck it.

The only problem is that dipping a car removes ALL factory seam-seal. The problem is all of the seam seal within the interior (inner walls and interior cowl area) is lost in the process. Meaning...a SHIT TON of extra noise, moisture post wash and the lack of protectant (since it's all eaten away in the dipping process).

Meaning, even more money.

Unread 2017-10-23, 12:29 PM   #95
so.DOPE

Post Thanks / Like

10/20

Car should be done with media at some point this week. Also picked up one of these guys:

https://www.holley.com/products/ls_p...ts/71223008HKR

Unread 2017-12-05, 08:48 AM   #96
so.DOPE

Post Thanks / Like

12/5: Update

Been a while. Do people still visit?

Anyway, car is finally out of media shop and in primer. Picking her up on Thursday and dropping off for sub frame connectors, cowl area/firewallwork/trunk pan repair and sub frame installation.

Photos to come shortly.

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes mild83 liked this post
Unread 2017-12-05, 10:16 AM   #97
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 254
Likes (Given): 2549
Likes (Received): 1708
Dislikes (Given): 24
Dislikes (Received): 47

Just waitin' for them pics, dog.
Unread 2017-12-05, 12:13 PM   #98
ForcFed93

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 96
Likes (Given): 334
Likes (Received): 673
Dislikes (Given): 2
Dislikes (Received): 29

Quote:

Check back every day hoping for updates on this.
ForcFed93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-12-05, 01:25 PM   #99
77Nova

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:

Yup. Very much looking forward to the build up. That's where the fun begins.
Unread 2017-12-18, 04:16 PM   #100
so.DOPE

Post Thanks / Like

12/18: Update

Was expecting the car to be out of media roughly a week ago. No surprise but that didn't happen. I did however receive a photo of the undercarriage and firewall complete and in primer.

Hopefully I can get to see it in person after the new year.