Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Fitness and Health

Unread 2017-02-03, 11:35 AM   #1
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 257
Likes (Given): 61
Likes (Received): 1932
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 35
Default What am I missing?

I'm a 40 year old male with a white collar desk job. I've been overweight my entire life and honestly just super sick of it at this point. At my highest I weighed 310 lbs (circa 1999). I cut down to about 240 back then and have maintained that range ever since (I'm 6'3").

I'm currently sitting at 242, and my scale says 27% body fat (ugh). I have been tracking my diet hardcore, consuming around 1650 cals a day over the course of 5 meals. I cook all my own food and eat mostly whole foods. My macros avg about 37% Protien, 29% carbs, 34% fats. I lift 3 days a week using my selectech dumbells and the Frankoman's Dumbell Split workout -

https://www.muscleandstrength.com/wo...nly-split.html

My weight and body composition hasn't changed a bit in 2 weeks. Obviously I am missing something, possibly a huge something.

BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-02-03, 11:48 AM   #2
jwdb1fish

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 454
Likes (Given): 44
Likes (Received): 3870
Dislikes (Given): 7
Dislikes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyLee View Post
I'm a 40 year old male with a white collar desk job. I've been overweight my entire life and honestly just super sick of it at this point. At my highest I weighed 310 lbs (circa 1999). I cut down to about 240 back then and have maintained that range ever since (I'm 6'3").

I'm currently sitting at 242, and my scale says 27% body fat (ugh). I have been tracking my diet hardcore, consuming around 1650 cals a day over the course of 5 meals. I cook all my own food and eat mostly whole foods. My macros avg about 37% Protien, 29% carbs, 34% fats. I lift 3 days a week using my selectech dumbells and the Frankoman's Dumbell Split workout -

https://www.muscleandstrength.com/wo...nly-split.html

My weight and body composition hasn't changed a bit in 2 weeks. Obviously I am missing something, possibly a huge something.

1650 calories isn't enough for a guy your size, even with weight loss as a goal.

You had more than 1650 calories in food and drink at my place the other night, so maybe your calculations are off?

How is your timing of those macros?

I'd lose an bit of the fat intake and replace with carbs/protein. Also what type of carbs are they?
Unread 2017-02-03, 11:58 AM   #3
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdb1fish View Post
1650 calories isn't enough for a guy your size, even with weight loss as a goal.

You had more than 1650 calories in food and drink at my place the other night, so maybe your calculations are off?

How is your timing of those macros?

I'd lose an bit of the fat intake and replace with carbs/protein. Also what type of carbs are they?
That night at your place was the exception, which to be honest, rarely happens. Like maybe a once a month type happening.

Breakfast - Usually either 3 eggs in a whole wheat/low carb tortilla or 1/2 cup of oats, 1/2 cup 2% milk, and 1 scoop of whey protein.

I do a single scoop of whey mid morning and mid afternoon (unless I lift then I save the afternoon one for recovery).

Lunch is usually leftovers. I keep it to about 500 or so cals.

Dinner again could be anything. I rotate my protein nightly so not to get bored. Carbs sources vary. I rarely eat white grains, or grains at all to be honest. If I do rice I do brown rice. I usually cook a green veg or a squash/sweet potato as a side. I don't drink sodas of any kind. Coffee in the morning with sugar free creamer, no additional sweeteners. Water the rest of the day night.

I know my macros just show percentages. I know my protein consumption is about 150g a day.

Unread 2017-02-03, 12:06 PM   #4
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 207
Thanks (Received): 252
Likes (Given): 2471
Likes (Received): 1665
Dislikes (Given): 24
Dislikes (Received): 47

Do you only lift or do you have cardio days, as well? Cardio is going to help you lose weight better than lifting will. It might be advantageous to try and work an extra day in at the gym just for cardio.

My dad (granted, he is significantly older than you) has a LOT of trouble dipping below ~230. I think a big problem for him is metabolism... It might be worth considering maintaining your calorie intake, but eating smaller meals more frequently (try and get 5 meals in a day, rather than the typical 4, for instance) to try and boost your metabolism.

EDIT: derp, I just reread your OP and saw you said you do get 5 meals in a day.
Keboh is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-02-03, 12:11 PM   #5
jwdb1fish

Post Thanks / Like

Let's have the alcohol intake and timing (how close to bedtime) too.

You've left that out
Unread 2017-02-03, 12:13 PM   #6
jwdb1fish

Post Thanks / Like

Also, wasn't your birthday party last Saturday?

You telling me you didn't cap 1650 that day, and then three days later on a Tuesday you went above too.

I'm gonna keep you honest if you want the assistance
Unread 2017-02-03, 12:16 PM   #7
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Let's have the alcohol intake and timing (how close to bedtime) too.

You've left that out
During the winter my alcohol intake is pretty low TBH. Again it's more of a night out sort of thing like it was Tuesday night. But yes on a night out like that I could easily put away 6 or 7 beers at about the pace of 1 per hour going late into the evening.

I probably do that about twice a month.

Unread 2017-02-03, 12:18 PM   #8
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Also, wasn't your birthday party last Saturday?

You telling me you didn't cap 1650 that day, and then three days later on a Tuesday you went above too.

My bday part was two weeks ago. on the 21st. I acknowledged that once or twice I month I have a nice evening of beer drinking.

I totally went over 1650 both of those nights.

Though I know when I'm going to do something like that I I do reduce my calories significantly during the day when I do. For instance Tuesday night. I had a 300 cal breakfast, no mid day snacks, and 400 cal lunch. I guess I didn't consider that a couple nights a mo of imbibing could impact me so severely. Here's the thing, I could not workout at all and my weight would stay the same. Hell I could eat a bit more and drink a bit more and my weight doesn't really change. So I just assumed by cutting cals and increasing fitness that it would change.

I'm not looking for crazy either. Just 1-2 lbs a week of shift.

Last edited by BuddyLee; 2017-02-03 at 12:21 PM..
Unread 2017-02-03, 12:52 PM   #9
mild83

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 925
Thanks (Received): 335
Likes (Given): 6333
Likes (Received): 2729
Dislikes (Given): 128
Dislikes (Received): 131

Something I did that was simple and incredibly effective was using a rule of thumb of getting 1 gram of protein for every 8 calories that I consumed, as well as getting at least 40 grams of dietary fiber.

I wasn't really concerned about any other macros. I typically kept my caloric intake around 2000 Cals. I'd workout in the morning, have a meal replacement (metrx) with 16 oz of milk. Usually 2 servings of fiber 1 cereal washed down with a two scoop protein shake w water for a snack, a sandwich for lunch then another meal replacement with milk for dinner.

Last time I strictly adhered to that, I went from 295 on February 1st to 227 by June.

My workout wasn't changed much from the lifting side, but I did cardio 5 times a week, building up to jogging 1.5 miles, then walking out on an incline til I hit 30 minutes total.

After some life changes, I'm at 300 lbs. I just started to try to get my diet back on track and started jogging again this week. It's tough, but I've got to do it. I'm so fucking fat I can't stand it.

Last edited by mild83; 2017-02-03 at 05:37 PM..
mild83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-02-03, 05:30 PM   #10
DanenGraham

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Given): 33
Likes (Received): 250
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 4

IMO 2 weeks just isn't long enough to see any changes. A person can have day to day fluctuations up to around 5 pounds anyway. 1650 cals seems really low for a guy your size too. But if that's all your eating you should be able to loose weight, but you might not be getting any stronger and just beating your self down. If you sit all day at work, try taking a 10-15min break if possible and fast walk a mile. Do it 2+ times if you can.

JW said the opposite, but a low carb high fat diet can also help drop weight fast. Keto or whatever they call it. Might look into that if you want to try something different.

But unless you have been going at this longer than 2 weeks, you just haven't given it a long enough time frame IMO. Stick with what you are doing for 3 months, do it perfect or as best as you can. (limit the beers) In three months if you haven't dropped weight, change it up and try something else. Also try to keep progressing on your workouts, up the weight every week or two. Dont just keep doing the same things over and over.

Im a super Noob when it comes to all this stuff, so just my .02.

And get a squat rack and an Olympic plate set.
DanenGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-02-05, 09:33 AM   #11
jwdb1fish

Post Thanks / Like

Everything you need to know is right here, and it's worth the read-

http://kcsr.org/showthread.php?t=260

I would agree with Danen that there are many ways to aggressively cut weight, but low carb diets are not a good choice for your long-term health.

A healthy lifestyle is achieved with a balanced diet and exercise. People have been eating good amounts of carbs and meeting their fitness goals forever.

I'd hit the gym more frequently, or adjust your calorie intake down on the days that you are not lifting. You'd probably be a lean 200#er, so I'd also suggest consuming 1g of protein/lb of lean body mass, and maintain that intake even on off days, with a possible reduction in fat/carb intake for those off days.

Don't eat /drink carbs 4 hours before bedtime.

You don't really need to push into harder workouts each week if your only goal is to lean out. You just need to burn more calories than you take in and you will lose weight, so some hard work in the gym will be needed with your sedentary job.

I still think you aren't eating enough. If you are starving your body/fasting your body could be storing excess fat when you do eat. Your statement about how your eat very little on your cheat days until the feast comes at night may be an example of that.

Read that thread, and then throw your questions out.

I'll probably be banned after the game, so hit me up via text/FB
Unread 2017-02-06, 10:56 AM   #12
ReidStylez
Yahh Trick Yahh!

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 98
Likes (Given): 41
Likes (Received): 929
Dislikes (Given): 11
Dislikes (Received): 25

Quote:
I think this is the biggest part for a lot of people that struggle to lose weight. Not being honest about what they actually intake and/or how much they exercise. Not saying this is why for Brian however it does happen a lot with a lot of people.

That and those fad shake type diets or pills.

Last edited by ReidStylez; 2017-02-06 at 10:59 AM..
ReidStylez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-02-11, 12:52 PM   #13
comtrang

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 31
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 66
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 2

I honestly don't think it's enough calories. I just put a friend of mine on a diet as kind of a 'project' of my own. He's probably 5'9 and his starting weight was 227. Probably a similar bodyfat%. I started him right around 2800 calories and he's down 10 pounds in a few weeks. That's with him not getting to the gym everyday and maybe a handful of 45 minute cardio sessions in there. He also tells me he feels more energy each day and he feels his strength going up, albeit he hasn't been to the gym consistently in MONTHS.

I definitely would actually try to up your calories, stick to it for a week and see what it does. Even when I started cutting, 2800 cals got me down 12lbs and then 2400 cals got me down another 15lbs. So I would guess your requirements are at least as much as mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustin Dailey View Post
2nd nicest guy on KCSR.... officially.

comtrang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-02-12, 06:14 PM   #14
Ryan D
Custom User Title

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 30
Thanks (Received): 175
Likes (Given): 91
Likes (Received): 1288
Dislikes (Given): 28
Dislikes (Received): 212

As others have said, 2 weeks isn't long enough to see a change. I'd also wager that even at 1650 calories your activity level is too low to see much of a change even over time if you sit at a desk and are only doing some weights a few times a week. Don't get me wrong, strength training is essential to getting fit as muscle is going to give you a leaner look and burn more calories. I'm no dietitian (just a guy that lost 50 pounds in the last year) but I think 1650 is way too low and you're probably starving your body.

Sounds like you are tracking what you eat... Are you tracking your activity level?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Ryan D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-02-21, 10:19 AM   #15
speedysweetie
Mafia Queen

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 33
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 176
Likes (Received): 159
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 1

Quote:
That night at your place was the exception, which to be honest, rarely happens. Like maybe a once a month type happening.

Breakfast - Usually either 3 eggs in a whole wheat/low carb tortilla or 1/2 cup of oats, 1/2 cup 2% milk, and 1 scoop of whey protein.

I do a single scoop of whey mid morning and mid afternoon (unless I lift then I save the afternoon one for recovery).

Lunch is usually leftovers. I keep it to about 500 or so cals.

Dinner again could be anything. I rotate my protein nightly so not to get bored. Carbs sources vary. I rarely eat white grains, or grains at all to be honest. If I do rice I do brown rice. I usually cook a green veg or a squash/sweet potato as a side. I don't drink sodas of any kind. Coffee in the morning with sugar free creamer, no additional sweeteners. Water the rest of the day night.

I know my macros just show percentages. I know my protein consumption is about 150g a day.
(if this has been said, my apologies)

1) 150g of protein is about how much I take in. If you're consistently working out, and your weight and height, you can definitely increase the protein.
2) You may need to experiment with your macros. Find a calculator online and get that recalculated. It will tell you calories, but also give you a better idea how how much protein/fat/carbs you should take in daily.
3) From there, you'll have to experiment. Some people have better results with higher carb, lower fat intake. Others, the opposite. You'll have to adjust every couple of weeks to your needs.
4) 2 weeks is not enough time. If you want solid results, give it a month or 2, take pictures, and evaluate how your clothes fit. Fast loss = quick gain. Slow loss = establishing good habits to carry you through your life.

"Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want"
"If you feel you need to tell lies to get ahead, perhaps you need to evaluate why you're behind in the first place."
speedysweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-02-22, 09:01 PM   #16
raCeR_X

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 117
Likes (Received): 5
Dislikes (Given): 2
Dislikes (Received): 0

NSNG.
raCeR_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-02-23, 08:41 AM   #17
cseaman

Post Thanks / Like

Push your calories up a tad and replace whatever lame cardio is being done with HIIT.
Unread 2017-02-23, 09:29 AM   #18
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by cseaman View Post
Push your calories up a tad and replace whatever lame cardio is being done with HIIT.
Added Insanity workouts to my a.m. 6 days a week.

Unread 2017-02-23, 09:47 AM   #19
jwdb1fish

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Quote:
Added Insanity workouts to my a.m. 6 days a week.

Do pom poms and spankies come with those as a package deal, or do you have to source them separately?
Unread 2017-02-23, 09:47 AM   #20
mild83

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 925
Thanks (Received): 335
Likes (Given): 6333
Likes (Received): 2729
Dislikes (Given): 128
Dislikes (Received): 131

From what you're saying, you need more protein, imo.

Best gainz I made were getting in 250+ grams-day when I weighed 230-240 range. Strength was good, and I was leanest I've ever been. I tended to keep my calories well under 2000, though. I'd say it was typically 1700 or so.
mild83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-02-23, 09:55 AM   #21
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Do pom poms and spankies come with those as a package deal, or do you have to source them separately?
Naw, I stream it from my neighbor's plex server. Workout is intense as fuck. My ass struggles to keep up but even if I can't match pace I stick with it.

Unread 2017-02-23, 09:59 AM   #22
cseaman

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
I flat out guarantee that I am more fit per pound of body weight, at any metric that you can think of, than you are. I'm also the only person in this thread who has my my annual job performance evaluations partially based on body composition and fitness expectations of a leader of a population who is already more fit than the average civilian. Keep on talking shit for no reason though, you're making KCSR great again.
Unread 2017-02-23, 10:02 AM   #23
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like

Did my advice thread really just turn into a e-penis contest? My god. *facepalm*

Unread 2017-02-23, 10:06 AM   #24
cseaman

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I guess so. I'd recommend having your fat-strong friend let people with legit advice post without unsolicited harassment and shit talking.
Unread 2017-02-23, 10:06 AM   #25
jwdb1fish

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
I flat out guarantee that I am more fit per pound of body weight, at any metric that you can think of, than you are. I'm also the only person in this thread who has my my annual job performance evaluations partially based on body composition and fitness expectations of a leader of a population who is already more fit than the average civilian. Keep on talking shit for no reason though, you're making KCSR great again.

You are very good at talking out of your ass. You can't name one single thing I can or can't do, as I have no idea what your limits are.

If I had to guess, you would blow me out of the water with cardio, and I'd maul you in any strength competition.

But that's what happens when you workout like a cheerleader. Your cardio will be great, and you'll be walking the other way when men talk about lifting weights.