Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Knives

Unread 2009-09-26, 04:53 AM   #1
Praetorian

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 110
Dislikes (Given): 3
Dislikes (Received): 2
Default Gratuitous Knife Picture Thread, 1 knife a day

So....

I don't know how many of you know about the activities that I do in my free time. Those include shooting guns, driving BMWs and playing video games and calling it work. In fact, most of the people that are aware of my presence on this forum believe I just play with toy guns all day.. What most of you didn't know, was that I work with my dad on buying/selling high end custom knives. This thread is just to show you guys some of the stuff that dad and I go through.

[note from kafir: this is such a badass, interesting thread that it had to be stickied.]

What better way to start this thread, then to post up my personal "Every Day Carry" or as most people simply refer to it as, the EDC.

This is a Strider SnG-CC model with G10 Scales (the handle...) and Titanium with heat treated tiger-stripe pattern on the lock. The blade is S30V steel done up in a "Digital-camo" pattern. Strider is a renowned, multi-winning tactical knife maker. They do custom knives as well as production stuff. This is a custom knife, and it is actually my first custom knife I've ever purchased. Most stuff from Strider can be found at Custom Knife shows, but you can also purchase production models at their website: http://striderknives.com/site/. Their site only shows production models, if you want a custom knife, you have to attend a knife show. We have several knives at home from them that are customs, and I will post some other stuff they make. Most all the knives will be ones that either my dad or I own. 1 knife, or a compilation of knives featuring a specific maker.

I carry this:

To give you a heads up, this stuff is a niche market...it is not your everyday kind of knife, none of the knives I will be posting are. This stuff is incredibly expensive, and most all of the knives are owned by my dad, who runs this as a business these days. He has 25 years of networking and knowledge in this market, and he is one of the most respected collectors in the industry. Technically, most all of the knives I am posting are for sale...but considering that KW knows I'm not hocking this stuff for sale, I am certainly not using this thread as a sales pitch. It is simply a cool thread to just show you some of the stuff I get to deal with.

Feel free to comment, I'd love to see if anyone here in interested in these kinds of knives. It's a cool little world, one that most no one really understands unless your part of it. I'll try and show you guys some cool knives, some people and some stuff that I get to enjoy.

All photos are either with a Nikon D80, Some stupid Sony Cybershot model, or stolen photos from other people that will be credited.

Last edited by zef; 2009-10-06 at 04:53 AM..
Praetorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2009-09-26, 08:54 AM   #2
zef
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 225
Thanks (Received): 290
Likes (Given): 581
Likes (Received): 1007
Dislikes (Given): 6
Dislikes (Received): 22

i'll be looking forward to this thread every day.

btw, last two knives i bought (couple weeks ago) are ...

first one is a Pro-Tech Godson side flipper automatic with solid blue handles and black blade.

second one is a Microtech UTX-70 double action out-the-front automatic (i.e. automatic out and automatic in), all black, fully serrated on one side.

Unread 2009-09-26, 03:03 PM   #3
Praetorian

Post Thanks / Like

John W. Smith is an amazingly talented knife maker, he is a Member of the Knifemakers Guild and a member of the prestigious AKI (Art Knife Invitational) group. John’s pieces are sole authorship, he does it all and he does it well. Blade and spacer are hot blued “W” ladder pattern consisting of 1084, 15N20 and Nickel. Frames are hot blued “W” ladder pattern consisting of 1084 and 15N20, the inlay is a sunburst consisting of Presentation Grade white and black lip Mother of Pearl separated with 18k gold strips around an 18k gold sun. The thumb stud is 18k gold with a VS grade diamond bezel set, liners are file-worked 6AL-4V titanium, jeweled and anodized and there is 24k gold inlay on the blade and spacer and frames. A rare and beautiful piece of art.

What's cool about John W. Smith, is that he does multiple aspects of knife making. He goes from these pieces of art to tactical folders that are rather popular. This is one of his coolest designs he makes. We have about 3 of these models at home, each one a little different than the other. This specific one is a little over 7 3/8th inches long when open. The mosaic pattern shown on the handles is something unique and incredibly hard to accomplish, it's just a cool design.

As you can see from my earlier knife, the Strider. This is an incredible difference in knife making practices and standards.

They get cooler.
Unread 2009-09-26, 05:14 PM   #4
thatoneguy

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 17
Dislikes (Given): 2
Dislikes (Received): 1

Do I have to mortgage my house to buy some of those knives?

P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

thatoneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2009-09-26, 05:19 PM   #5
Praetorian

Post Thanks / Like

...depends on your income level.

Last edited by Praetorian; 2009-09-26 at 05:24 PM..
Unread 2009-09-26, 05:31 PM   #6
thatoneguy

Post Thanks / Like

I'm looking at a benchmade infidel.... thats the best i can do.... or want to do.

Unread 2009-09-26, 07:55 PM   #7
zef
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatoneguy View Post
I'm looking at a benchmade infidel.... thats the best i can do.... or want to do.
dont get the infidel. its not a great OTF - not very strong, reliable, or solid feeling.

check these two threads for info ...

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=676874
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=665136
Unread 2009-09-26, 08:15 PM   #8
thatoneguy

Post Thanks / Like

FYI, I also posted up a blades section on mwgt.

Unread 2009-09-27, 12:07 AM   #9
zef
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

yeah, i know. i check it daily. i'm guessing thats where the infidel idea came from.
Unread 2009-09-27, 02:59 PM   #10
Praetorian

Post Thanks / Like

A beautiful work of art featuring the combined talents of two great artists, Joe Kious and Lee Griffiths. This is Joe's model 6 1/2, same design as the model 6 & 10 but in a new in-between size. The highlight of this knife is of coarse the stunning Dragons engraved my Master Engraver Lee Griffiths. Lee is a member of the prestigious FEGA (Firearms Engravers Guild of America) and a teacher at the GRS Engraving School, he is well known for his engraving of high-end firearms, it is a rare treat to get an engraved knife from him. Aside from the wonderful overall craftsmanship of this knife and the engraving it is all tied together by the beautiful Lapis inlays, gold lock and file worked spine.

Joe Kious is part of the "Texas Mafia," a group of three older gentlemen that create these high end custom knives that are designed for engraving. Kious' knives do not show who this guy is in everyday life. When I first saw his knives, I thought he was a guy that truly appreciated the arts. What's funny is, he does. That and hunting. He likes to joke around that he has a shotgun in every room of his house. You'd never expect him to create knives such as these, eh?

The engraving is done by one of the best engravers in the knife world. Knife and gun engravings are actually rather different, given that knives are more precise and smaller. It's really interesting to see what engravings can be done up. This was a real surprise of a knife.
Unread 2009-09-27, 03:18 PM   #11
zef
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

amazing knife! hard to even pick a favorite out of the ones you've posted so far.
Unread 2009-09-28, 04:19 PM   #12
Praetorian

Post Thanks / Like

Filip De Leeuw a/k/a "Deviant Blades" is relatively new to the knife making scene, about 4 years, and only began hollow grinding blades this past year. He has just begun putting his makers stamp on his knives, this one does not have it. Filip hails from Belgium; he attends only two shows a year, the Belgian knife show and the DKE show in Holland. He calls this model the "Curly". This knife features a blade of Chad Nichols Frenzy pattern Damascus, the handle is bead-blasted black G10, lock is 6al4v titanium, the clip is custom Titanium and it has a Bronze back-spacer. This knife makes a great user and priced accordingly (about $500 for this one, compared to most of the knives we carry).

What I love about this knife is the form and look. You have a Damascus blade (Damascus is a "meshing" of steel, so to say, and it strengthens the durability, while adding a cool pattern to the blade that is just great to look at.) Filip De Leeuw is a relative unknown in the knife world, he just got started and we picked him up...cause his stuff is cool looking. Best part about our perspective, is that we can pick up stuff to just check it out. Due to his relative unknown status, his stuff does not go for that much, in a relative environment. This does not mean that his pieces are worse, it is all a matter of market penetration, and he has very little. Still though, cool knives from this guy.
Unread 2009-09-28, 04:36 PM   #13
Ricerking13

Post Thanks / Like

Holy snap the 2nd and 3rd knives have such unbelievable artistry invovled
Unread 2009-09-28, 07:35 PM   #14
zef
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Filip's knife is indeed a nice one. i'd never heard of him before. simple design, but it has nice lines and profile, as you mentioned.
Unread 2009-09-28, 08:07 PM   #15
Praetorian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafir View Post
Filip's knife is indeed a nice one. i'd never heard of him before. simple design, but it has nice lines and profile, as you mentioned.
As I said, he's relatively unknown, but his stuff is really cool, this is our best seller when we go to shows:

It's called the "Tiny." Small blade, about 3 and a half inches when closed. The kydex sheath is designed for neck knife carry.
Unread 2009-09-29, 02:07 PM   #16
Praetorian

Post Thanks / Like

This is Scott Sawby's Tern model with a Mike Norris Stainless Damascus blade and masterful engraving by Ray Cover Jr. The engraved dragon wraps around the spine of the knife so that the Dragon Dance covers three sides of the folder. The yellow is 24K gold inlay. The red lanterns are copper inlay and the green eyes are emeralds. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

Scott Sawby, is one maker who can really do a lot of work with a lot of different styles. Unfortunately, I can't show you how the dragon on this thing is actually wrapping around the entire knife, its a continuous engraving, with jewels in the eyes of the dragon. This is just one sexy ass knife.
Unread 2009-09-29, 04:12 PM   #17
zef
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

never heard of Sawby either. this is my favorite one so far. are the handles/scales stainless steel? do you have any more close up pics of the engraving? just curious - whats the asking price for the Sawby?
Unread 2009-10-01, 04:03 PM   #18
Praetorian

Post Thanks / Like

Art meets modern technology in David Broadwell's "Techno Art" knives, which feature sculpted organic shapes and flowing lines that he's known for, on a multi-media canvas with a variety of metals, textures, and colors. This Sculpted Techno Folder features Mike Norris' "Snakeskin" stainless damascus blade and handle overlays. The frame is randomly jeweled titanium. Blade opens with a tab opener on a machine turned pivot with hand turned mother of pearl cabochons. This knife is assembled with hidden screw construction.

Unread 2009-10-01, 05:47 PM   #19
zef
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

another amazing knife! i really like quality damascus. i don't have any titanium knives either, but want one. been looking at pro-tech godson in titanium.

btw, you didn't post one on 9/30. i noticed.
Unread 2009-10-01, 05:55 PM   #20
zef
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

btw, i checked on the website, i saw that the Sawby Tern was part of the personal collection. out of curiosity, what would you guesstimte the value at? $6k? $7k?
Unread 2009-10-02, 07:17 AM   #21
Praetorian

Post Thanks / Like

I could...but that would be inappropriate, given that it is not for sale.

To compare though, other works by Sawby run anywhere from $500 for this "tactical" models, to upwards of $8,000.

This one would be up there, that is certain.

As for not posting on 9/30, I was tired as all hell and I worked all day. I'll have something up later today.
Unread 2009-10-02, 07:05 PM   #22
Praetorian

Post Thanks / Like

This is the Prototype of Matthew Lerch’s small “Rockford” model. This knife has a Roller Blade Assist opening mechanism and a liner-lock. The frame is 416 SS, the inlay is Pen Shell, the blade is Mike Norris Damascus and there is an 18k gold thumb-stud. The engraving by Jon Robyn is of two Victoria's Secret models.

Matt Lerch and Jon Robyn happen to be some of the best out there, this model is just pretty cool. The engraving is what really sets this off, there is a tone to this knife that is just pretty striking.
Unread 2009-10-02, 07:58 PM   #23
zef
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

thats my favorite so far. gotta love naked chicks on a custom knife. thanks for the close-ups of the engraving too.

what is "pen shell"?
Unread 2009-10-02, 08:53 PM   #24
huskerpower02

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 69
Thanks (Received): 51
Likes (Given): 454
Likes (Received): 315
Dislikes (Given): 14
Dislikes (Received): 4

That "Techno Art" knife is mesmerizing.
huskerpower02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2009-10-03, 04:48 AM   #25
Praetorian

Post Thanks / Like

Going Back to a Tactical Knife this time, this time: Jens Anso. He's hotter then Thermite right now in terms of popularity. Last several shows he has made an appearance at in the States (he's based in one of those European countries where all women are hot and blonde.)

Jens Anso's 67, a hot tactical knife from a hot maker. This Titanium framelock folder features RWL-34 blade steel with a bead-blasted finish with a cool asymetrical grind, a blue/black G10 handle textured in Jens Crop Circles pattern, a bead blasted frame, back-spacers and clip, the clip is set for tip-up carry.