Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Computers, Teh Interweb, Gaming, Electronics

Unread 2009-06-15, 10:52 PM   #1
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Default Android Megathread

So what apps do you use/have?

So far I have done basics: Gmail/FB/Myspace/Paypal

Could start an Android Thread

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 0 Likes, 3 Dislikes
Dislikes animal, focusandy, rich94 disliked this post
JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2009-06-15, 11:25 PM   #2
Attn2detail

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 107
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 0

My brothers got a G1 and says the new cupcake ap is the shizz.
Attn2detail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2009-06-16, 06:55 AM   #3
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attn2detail View Post
My brothers got a G1 and says the new cupcake ap is the shizz.
fwiw: The cupcake was an update not an app

Unread 2009-06-23, 08:05 AM   #4
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Flash For Android, WebOS Landing In October

Adobe President and CEO Shantanu Naraye has pegged October 4–7 as the release Windows for a Flash 10 beta, which will bring official, optimized support to Android, WebOS, Windows Mobile, and Symbian. Notice anything missing there?

The dates correspond with the beginning and end of the Adobe MAX conference, where Naraye says the beta will first become available. The release will be a much bigger day for Android and WebOS, which, unlike WinMo and Symbian, don't have (decent) existing solutions for Flash video such as Skyfire or Bolt Browser, though it's not clear exactly how Adobe will approach optimization. Flash compatibility, as any N95 user can attest, isn't worth much when a simple YouTube video bring your phone to its knees.

As for the notably absent mention of iPhone development, we can only assume it's still happening, albeit at the same relaxed pace it's been sustaining since 2008.

Unread 2009-06-24, 07:09 AM   #5
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

HTC launches Hero Android smartphone with custom HTC Sense UI and Flash support

Today HTC launched its third Android powered smartphone, the HTC Hero. The HTC Hero makes use of the new HTC Sense user interface, which makes the Hero the first Android device on the market to sport a custom user interface. For those that follow Android more closely, HTC Sense will be recognized as the "Rosie" user interface that was leaked through some Hero ROMs a few weeks back.I had the chance to see HTC Sense in action on an HTC Hero some time ago, and I can vouch for the quality of the HTC enhancements to Android. Not only does HTC provide a wide assortment of new home screen widgets, but the company also has included a new "Scenes" mode that lets users define multiple layouts to be used, such as one for work, and one for play. The system is somewhat similar to the mode switching found on some recent Nokia S60 smartphones.

Other new features include integration with Facebook and Flickr, including linking your contacts with their own Facebook and Flickr feeds, so you can not only see their contact info in the contacts app, but also quickly view their Facebook updates and recent Flickr photos. Other tweaks have been made to the phone dialer, including T9 contact searching, and to the web browser. The web browser tweaks include multi-touch zooming control, a new bookmark manager, and Adobe Flash based full-screen video support.

In terms of specs, the Hero features a 3.2-inch 320 x 480 (Half-VGA) capacitive touchscreen(INFO) display, just like the Magic and G1, but also includes a special anti-fingerprint coating. Unlike the older devices, however, the Hero receives a new 5 megapixel camera (with geo-tagging) and an actual 3.5mm headphone port - no more headphone adapters required. Other features of note include aGPS(INFO) and HTC Footprints, a built-in digital compass for helping with Google Maps, and a new search button.

The search button brings up results from a new, more powerful search system that looks not only in the phone's emails, contacts, and other built-in data like you would expect, but also searches Twitter (and, presumably, Google).

The Hero is expected to go on sale across Europe in July, and in Asia later in the summer. HTC has promised that a dedicated North American version will be available later in 2009. The white version of the device actually includes teflon in order to make the paint not only soft, but durable. No pricing has been announced at this time, but T-Mobile and Orange in Europe are the first networks expected to offer the phone.

Unread 2009-06-24, 10:37 AM   #6
Timothy Leary
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 94
Thanks (Received): 240
Likes (Given): 177
Likes (Received): 1366
Dislikes (Given): 10
Dislikes (Received): 24

I am so sick of fucking flash. I wish they would do away with it and push java more. Who is going to sit and wait for flash shit to load on their phone while they are casually browsing... let alone it will eat the fuck out of the battery.

2017 Toyota 860 86
Timothy Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2009-07-10, 05:13 PM   #7
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

T-Mobile Looks To Android In Battle With iPhone

The carrier has an early lead with its G1 and forthcoming myTouch 3G Android handsets and will take a stronger role in developing and preloading applications on its mobile devices.

T-Mobile will look to the Google (NSDQ: GOOG)-backed Android platform to help it draw new subscribers and deflect attention away from devices like the iPhone, according to the company's CTO. During a press event in San Francisco Friday, CTO Cole Brodman said the company will go "deeper, further, and faster" with the mobile operating system in order to stand out from the competition. In particular, Brodman sees the development environment and the Android Market as compelling factors that can help the fourth-largest U.S. carrier draw in new customers.

While T-Mobile has run a mobile content store for about eight years, Brodman said the carrier is taking a massively different approach to mobile apps. He concedes the cellular operator may have been an impediment to development in the past due to certification requirements and revenue-sharing agreements, but the company is working on being more open and leveraging partnerships with developers and companies such as Google.

"As a carrier, it's tough to be a differentiator in the mobile world," said Brodman. "Our biggest challenge is looking at the app world differently and seeing how it can scale."

While it has an early lead with the G1 and the upcoming myTouch 3G, T-Mobile won't be the only carrier with Android-powered devices.

Sprint Nextel (NYSE: S) is a member of the Open Handset Alliance and is waiting for the platform to become "good enough" before it releases a device. Verizon (NYSE: VZ) Wireless has said publicly it will have a smartphone with the Linux-based OS, and AT&T (NYSE: T) is also expected to eventually market an Android device.

Brodman said the carrier will play a stronger role in developing and preloading applications for its devices in order to differentiate itself. The myTouch 3G is an example of this strategy, as the touch-screen smartphone will come with the Sherpa app, which uses location information to provide subscribers with nearby banks, restaurants, movie theaters, and other venues with a few clicks.

The carrier has also seen success with its My Account Android app that helps customers pay their bills and manage minutes, and Brodman sees vast potential for future apps that provide stronger social-networking integration with the company's myFaves feature.

Much of the attention in the smartphone and mobile application world is focused on Apple's iPhone and the App Store. The touch-screen smartphone continues to sell millions of units, and the App Store is an attractive place for developers because they can potentially reach 40 million users who have downloaded over one billion programs in its first year.

"In the end, it's a numbers game, and history has shown that a single product has limitations on how much it can scale," said Andy Rubin, Google's director of mobile platforms, about the iPhone.

Android is still young, and it will continue to improve with its biannual software updates, Rubin said. While rival Research In Motion (NSDQ: RIMM)'s BlackBerry is known for mobile e-mail, and the iPhone is widely seen as the best mobile entertainment device, Rubin is not concerned that Android has yet to carve out a "killer app."

"I believe the killer app is important for market entry, but I look back at the Internet and think: What is the killer app on the Internet?" said Rubin. "The idea [of Android] is to enable thousands of killer apps."

The search giant is also working on broadening the ways customers can purchase apps from the Android Market, Rubin said. Users currently have to use Google Checkout to buy apps, but Rubin said the company is working on ways for carriers to use different payment systems with its over-the-air app store, and this is expected to include PayPal, credit cards, and carrier billing.

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 0 Likes, 2 Dislikes
Dislikes animal, rich94 disliked this post
Unread 2009-07-14, 02:06 AM   #8
cbr_954

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 258
Thanks (Received): 104
Likes (Given): 2126
Likes (Received): 684
Dislikes (Given): 62
Dislikes (Received): 66

I <3 my g1 but the battery don't last worth a shit. More apps suggestions please . I'm posting on my phone now since my pc is broke. Not slow at all, definatley not as comfortable or as fast as my pc though
cbr_954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2009-07-14, 03:04 AM   #9
1.8liter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 23
Dislikes (Given): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLM View Post
HTC launches Hero Android smartphone with custom HTC Sense UI and Flash support

Today HTC launched its third Android powered smartphone, the HTC Hero. The HTC Hero makes use of the new HTC Sense user interface, which makes the Hero the first Android device on the market to sport a custom user interface. For those that follow Android more closely, HTC Sense will be recognized as the "Rosie" user interface that was leaked through some Hero ROMs a few weeks back.I had the chance to see HTC Sense in action on an HTC Hero some time ago, and I can vouch for the quality of the HTC enhancements to Android. Not only does HTC provide a wide assortment of new home screen widgets, but the company also has included a new "Scenes" mode that lets users define multiple layouts to be used, such as one for work, and one for play. The system is somewhat similar to the mode switching found on some recent Nokia S60 smartphones.

Other new features include integration with Facebook and Flickr, including linking your contacts with their own Facebook and Flickr feeds, so you can not only see their contact info in the contacts app, but also quickly view their Facebook updates and recent Flickr photos. Other tweaks have been made to the phone dialer, including T9 contact searching, and to the web browser. The web browser tweaks include multi-touch zooming control, a new bookmark manager, and Adobe Flash based full-screen video support.

In terms of specs, the Hero features a 3.2-inch 320 x 480 (Half-VGA) capacitive touchscreen(INFO) display, just like the Magic and G1, but also includes a special anti-fingerprint coating. Unlike the older devices, however, the Hero receives a new 5 megapixel camera (with geo-tagging) and an actual 3.5mm headphone port - no more headphone adapters required. Other features of note include aGPS(INFO) and HTC Footprints, a built-in digital compass for helping with Google Maps, and a new search button.

The search button brings up results from a new, more powerful search system that looks not only in the phone's emails, contacts, and other built-in data like you would expect, but also searches Twitter (and, presumably, Google).

The Hero is expected to go on sale across Europe in July, and in Asia later in the summer. HTC has promised that a dedicated North American version will be available later in 2009. The white version of the device actually includes teflon in order to make the paint not only soft, but durable. No pricing has been announced at this time, but T-Mobile and Orange in Europe are the first networks expected to offer the phone.

wow that looks like the Samsung I saw the other day!!!! It's called the M900Q and guess which provider is getting it. That tester wasn't suppose to show it to us, but he needed that phone to be charged up while he was walking around the mall. The OS looked exactly like the G1, but it ran a lot smoother and faster than the G1
1.8liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2009-08-27, 02:46 PM   #10
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Android apps show big potential for growth

Quote:
Android, iPhone and iPod Touch users are all highly engaged with applications and frequently download them to their devices, according to a new survey from AdMob.

However, Android has a much smaller base of devices and thus has more upside ahead.

AdMob, a company that tracks mobile Web and application usage, found that Android and iPhone users download nine to 10 apps a month and iPod Touch users download 18 a month. More than half of the Android and iPhone users spend more than 30 minutes a day using apps, according to the survey results released Thursday (PDF).

That's some serious engagement and a lot of runway for Android. Why? Android-powered devices--T-Mobile's MyTouch is the headliner--are hard to come by. However, that's changing as Motorola will be taking Android handsets to large carriers like Verizon Wireless in the fourth quarter.

Quote:
Simply put, Android has a nice base of engaged users already. More distribution is likely to make it a more viable rival to the iPhone

Unread 2009-08-27, 04:41 PM   #11
ItalionStallion888
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 184
Thanks (Received): 260
Likes (Given): 2190
Likes (Received): 1601
Dislikes (Given): 68
Dislikes (Received): 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by b20teg View Post
I <3 my g1 but the battery don't last worth a shit. More apps suggestions please . I'm posting on my phone now since my pc is broke. Not slow at all, definatley not as comfortable or as fast as my pc though
decrease your back light time out to something like 10 sec, so it doesn't stay on, I've found only keeping 2-3 text message convos saved at a time has really helped the battery life. Sadly if you use the internet or Gtalk your battery is going to be eaten up quick no matter what you do.

for me

shazam, flashlight, solitaire are really the only ones.

oh and I won't hold my breath on the flash, said the same thing in april...not it's august.
ItalionStallion888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2009-08-27, 05:54 PM   #12
cbr_954

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 258
Thanks (Received): 104
Likes (Given): 2126
Likes (Received): 684
Dislikes (Given): 62
Dislikes (Received): 66

I downloaded the power manager and it works ok. Now it only sucks if I'm the internet all day, like today that its been raining all day.
cbr_954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2009-08-28, 01:36 AM   #13
Kyle Bryan k

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 84
Thanks (Received): 40
Likes (Given): 434
Likes (Received): 181
Dislikes (Received): 8

Yea shazaam is tight visual voiceamail, shop saavy of course . For people who have no other internet besides there phone can get pdanet they call it teathering allows you to use your phones 3g internet on computer via usb. Metal detector is cool. I had a scanner with kcpd channels at one point. I also had youtube downloader which was quickly banned but for those who already had it it still worked. Awesome until I had to factory reset. Still trying to find all the stuff I had. Kc scout cam is on there...... I can't think of the name but there are several app that allow your phone to control progams on your computer via wifi also as a wireless keyboard and mouse for you computer. There's a lot of apps that I can't think of and that I have lost. If I think of some more ill post. Why is it our phones the g1 and the g2 or whatever are multi touch capable but not used? Some bullshit. Or am I mistaken. I am tired of waiting for flash. But still can't wait till it hits. Also download a .pdf viewer so you can download and view certain files. Does the track ball on the new one light up? My old phone had this "app" that made the track ball flash 26 different colors or something retarded and different colors were seen at different angles. I use to have a blackberry pearl which in someways I perferred mainly layout and ui setup. I could have typed this 10x faster on that phone then I just did on my g1. Thought I would take a look at kcsr and didn't know I would be replying to anything or would have gotten on my computer twelve feet away from me. I almost feel more comfortable looking at this 3 inch screen a foot away from my face then working on my computer with my 46" samsung five feet from me maybe the 120hz hertz my eyes?

Last edited by Kyle Bryan k; 2009-08-28 at 02:08 AM..
Kyle Bryan k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2009-08-28, 02:07 AM   #14
Dark

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Dislikes (Given): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzaisushi View Post
I am so sick of fucking flash. I wish they would do away with it and push java more. Who is going to sit and wait for flash shit to load on their phone while they are casually browsing... let alone it will eat the fuck out of the battery.
hey hey hey hey hey......hey.............get the fuck out of here iphone user!!!!
Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2009-08-28, 06:16 AM   #15
bmanthei

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 1
Dislikes (Given): 40
Dislikes (Received): 31

i use alot of soundboard apps
bmanthei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2009-08-28, 07:15 AM   #16
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle bryan kushman View Post
Yea shazaam is tight visual voiceamail, shop saavy of course . For people who have no other internet besides there phone can get pdanet they call it teathering allows you to use your phones 3g internet on computer via usb. Metal detector is cool. I had a scanner with kcpd channels at one point. I also had youtube downloader which was quickly banned but for those who already had it it still worked. Awesome until I had to factory reset. Still trying to find all the stuff I had. Kc scout cam is on there...... I can't think of the name but there are several app that allow your phone to control progams on your computer via wifi also as a wireless keyboard and mouse for you computer. There's a lot of apps that I can't think of and that I have lost. If I think of some more ill post. Why is it our phones the g1 and the g2 or whatever are multi touch capable but not used? Some bullshit. Or am I mistaken. I am tired of waiting for flash. But still can't wait till it hits. Also download a .pdf viewer so you can download and view certain files. Does the track ball on the new one light up? My old phone had this "app" that made the track ball flash 26 different colors or something retarded and different colors were seen at different angles. I use to have a blackberry pearl which in someways I perferred mainly layout and ui setup. I could have typed this 10x faster on that phone then I just did on my g1. Thought I would take a look at kcsr and didn't know I would be replying to anything or would have gotten on my computer twelve feet away from me. I almost feel more comfortable looking at this 3 inch screen a foot away from my face then working on my computer with my 46" samsung five feet from me maybe the 120hz hertz my eyes?
Can you retype this so it isn't posted in "cluster fuck" mode

Unread 2009-08-28, 09:06 AM   #17
ItalionStallion888
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle bryan kushman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLM View Post
Can you retype this so it isn't posted in "cluster fuck" mode
I don't think there is an app for that.
Unread 2009-08-28, 05:05 PM   #18
Kyle Bryan k

Post Thanks / Like

Yea guys becareful about over loading your shit with apps since I don't not believe we can save apps to sd card. Your shit will lag so if you download some app and don't use it get ride of it it could save you some headache. I personally only save programs to my computer for I have no slave drive all movies music and so on get saved on a extrenal hd keeps your shit running like the day you bought it. Also to keep your phone running smoothly constantly delete old text messages, browser history and so on....
Unread 2009-08-28, 05:07 PM   #19
Kyle Bryan k

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry guys I was just trying to help.....

Last edited by Kyle Bryan k; 2009-08-28 at 05:14 PM..
Unread 2009-08-28, 05:07 PM   #20
ItalionStallion888
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

my....head...hurts...
ItalionStallion888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2009-08-28, 05:31 PM   #21
Kyle Bryan k

Post Thanks / Like

One more thing ill keep it short for everyone sake. THIS IS NOT AN APP just a suggestion. The g1 is on its own 3g network via tmobile as does g2 have its own 3g networks via tmobile. However not many users on the g2's network there fore those users do not share there 3g with as many people there fore faster connection. Less traffic on the network blah blah I was gonna keep it short so here it is. If your a g1 user Call tmobile have them switch you over to the new network. And blam faster internet
Unread 2009-09-08, 09:40 AM   #22
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

HTC Tattoo: Budget Android Phone Gets Slick Sense User Interface

Previously leaked as the "Click", HTC's Tattoo has replaceable face covers that you can also design yourself. It runs Android with HTC's beatifying Sense interface (as seen on the Hero), and has a 3.2-megapixel camera, 3.5mm headphone-jack, and MicroSD storage.

HTC hasn't really said too much more, other than it plans for the Tattoo to reach Europe in October, and the rest of the world in the months after that.

Some guesses then: The screen looks about 2.8-inches, and it's possible the Tattoo could be cheap enough to cost nothing with a carrier subsidy/smartphone plan. Hopefully the Sense UI won't be as sluggish as it is on the Hero, but we won't hold our breath. More details when we got 'em.

http://gizmodo.com/tag/HTC-click/

Unread 2009-09-08, 08:23 PM   #23
SiCO

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 51
Likes (Given): 86
Likes (Received): 207
Dislikes (Received): 11

Dildroid

lol
SiCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2009-09-08, 08:25 PM   #24
SiCO

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 51
Likes (Given): 86
Likes (Received): 207
Dislikes (Received): 11

and t-mobile no longer supports tethering on any of their phones because they suck at having a good network.
SiCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2009-09-08, 11:26 PM   #25
Travis
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 30
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 153
Likes (Received): 375
Dislikes (Given): 25
Dislikes (Received): 10

gonna see about upgrading to the hero
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, cupcake, donut, eclair, froyo, galaxy, gingerbread, honeycomb, ice cream sandwhich, jelly bean, kit-kat, lollipop, marshmallow, nexus, nougat, oreo