Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Careers, Colleges, Jobs

Unread 2015-06-13, 10:16 AM   #1
realdiehl

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 108
Likes (Given): 554
Likes (Received): 771
Dislikes (Given): 16
Dislikes (Received): 26
Default Engineering technician seeking new opportunities

For a little background, I graduated three years ago with my associate's degree in mechanical engineering technology (MET) from Kansas State University's Salina campus. It's a four year accredited program, at a school known for technology and aviation. I got my first relevant job in 2013 at an Ag equipment manufacturer and made the move to the Kansas City area. I worked mostly as an assembly technician for the first year, and travelled as a field service technician in the spring time. While working in the plant, I built production machines, assembled prototypes (based on Solidworks drawings), helped the engineering department set up tests and quality control, fabricated pieces for testing equipment and new prototypes. When on the road, I serviced new and old equipment, set up new machines with new customers, gathered data from prototype machines and monitored their activity. These trips could be lengthy, (weeks at a time), and myself and the sales team were primarily interacting with our customers face to face.

I liked a lot of things about that job, but some changes occurred within the company and I didn't see a ton of opportunity for career growth into more of a engineering position and less of a technician position. I resigned earlier this year to pursue a career with the railroad. I'm not certain it's the best fit for me, and some things regarding business have me worried about job security. I know how hard it can be to find a new job, so I'm actively searching while I am still employed. I haven't told anyone at my current position, as it could jeopardize the only job/income I have.

That said, I'd like to get in contact with someone from an engineering department who thinks I could be an asset. My skills include:
-Drafting (mostly all Solidworks, some DWG and AutoCAD)
- Strong hands on aptitude, I feel comfortable with tools and working on everything
-Some welding, milling, turning and related fabrication
-Some electronics background from school and personal work
-I have training from school with manufacturing methods and PLC programming
-Field service/troubleshooting
-Quality control and testing methods

A good fit for me would be in between an engineer and a technician. I would love to do more design work and drafting, as I don't have a ton of experience with those areas. What I lack in experience, I'll make up for with a desire to learn. I just need a chance to build some relevant experience. I would even take an unpaid/lower pay internship to prove myself and build experience. I have a resume available, and a clean driving record and criminal history. I have a passport and I'm willing to travel.

Thanks for reading!

Taylor
realdiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2015-06-13, 01:53 PM   #2
DanenGraham

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 34
Likes (Given): 32
Likes (Received): 250
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 4

Honeywell, go to their main website and just search jobs in KC. I haven't looked but they have been hiring a lot recently.
DanenGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2015-06-14, 10:58 PM   #3
realdiehl

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanenGraham View Post
Honeywell, go to their main website and just search jobs in KC. I haven't looked but they have been hiring a lot recently.
I applied for a position there last week actually. I may not have been qualified, however.
Unread 2015-06-18, 05:40 PM   #4
realdiehl

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone have a contact at Garmin?
Unread 2015-06-19, 11:05 AM   #5
beaterKU

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 122
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 16
Likes (Received): 94
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 1

Shoot, we just hired a mechanical draftsman a few weeks ago. We had been on the hunt for 2 months to find someone. Shoot me a pm with your resume if you'd like, as we might be possibly looking to hire another in the near future. We engineer, design and build conveyor systems for heavy mining, primarily in gold and copper mines.

-Nick

Last edited by beaterKU; 2015-06-19 at 11:17 AM..
beaterKU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2015-06-19, 11:09 AM   #6
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by realdiehl View Post
Anyone have a contact at Garmin?

That doesn't really work with Garmin

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2015-06-19, 11:10 AM   #7
TAILWAG

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 198
Thanks (Received): 125
Likes (Given): 341
Likes (Received): 768
Dislikes (Given): 29
Dislikes (Received): 10

Garmin or Cerner...
Text me and I will give you the contacts.
Unread 2015-06-19, 01:58 PM   #8
realdiehl

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaterKU View Post
Shoot, we just hired a mechanical draftsman a few weeks ago. We had been on the hunt for 2 months to find someone. Shoot me a pm with your resume if you'd like, as we might be possibly looking to hire another in the near future. We engineer, design and build conveyor systems for heavy mining, primarily in gold and copper mines.

-Nick
I saw your post after I'd made mine. After seeing the date I assumed it'd been filled. I'll get my resume checked out tonight and send it anyway. Thanks, Nick.
Unread 2015-06-19, 02:03 PM   #9
realdiehl

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAILWAG View Post
Garmin or Cerner...
Text me and I will give you the contacts.
Thanks! I PMed you. I interviewed with Garmin last fall for a Mechanical Engineering Tech position, and didn't get it. They'd relisted an MET job a while back but I never heard anything else.
Unread 2015-07-06, 05:46 PM   #10
realdiehl

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the help so far guys. Any of the automotive aftermarket companies in the area looking for someone? (Procharger, Aeromotive, Weld?)