Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Movies, Music, TV, Books

Unread 2019-10-16, 07:50 PM   #251
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Jonah Hill No Longer In Talks To Join The Cast Of THE BATMAN; Seth Rogen Wanted For Penguin

A few weeks back, we found out that Jonah Hill (Wolf of Wall Street) was circling a villainous role in Matt Reeves' The Batman, but now several outlets are reporting that the actor is no longer in talks...

Multiple outlets are reporting that Jonah Hill has ceased negotiations with Warner Bros. for an undisclosed role in The Batman.

No specific reason was given, but THR's Borys Kit did note that "Warners and the actor were too far apart on a deal," which suggests the studio simply didn't want to meet his price.

Hill was said to be circling a villainous role in the movie, but we're not sure if it was The Riddler or The Penguin. Apparently, WB wanted him for the latter, but Hill was more drawn to Edward Nygma. Deadline has heard that there is now interest in Hill's pal Seth Rogen for Oswald Cobbelpot, but no offer has been made.

We found out earlier in the week that Zoe Kravitz had been cast as Catwoman. She'll join Robert Pattinson as Bruce Wayne/Batman and Jeffrey Wright as Commissioner Gordon.

B68 | F82 |///M | S55B | NAV | LED | Avant Garde | Toyo Proxes 4
JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2019-10-16, 07:59 PM   #252
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

The Batman Co-Writer Teases Detective Story for Robert Pattinson

There certainly have been no shortage of live-action portrayals of the Dark Knight, but DC fans are especially excited to see what's in store in 2021's The Batman. The film, which will star Robert Pattinson as Bruce Wayne/Batman, is expected to provide a unique take on the Caped Crusader, and now we have a small tease for what that will entail. On Wednesday, the film's co-writer, Mattson Tomlin, took to Twitter to share the news that Zoe Kravitz had been cast as the film's take on Selina Kyle/Catwoman. In the tweet, Tomlin said that co-writing the film "has been a [life-altering] experience", and that he can't wait for fans to see what co-writer and director Matt Reeves "has planned for the World's Greatest Detective".

Quote:
mattson tomlin @mattsontomlin

Co-writing THE BATMAN with @mattreevesLA has been a life altering experience and a literal dream come true. I can’t wait for you to see what he has planned for the World’s Greatest Detective!

This lines up with previous comments made by Reeves, in which he teased that the film will focus on Batman honing in his skills as a detective.

"It's very much a point of view-driven, noir Batman tale," Reeves said in an interview earlier this year. "It's told very squarely on his shoulders, and I hope it's going to be a story that will be thrilling but also emotional. It's more Batman in his detective mode than we've seen in the films. The comics have a history of that. He's supposed to be the world's greatest detective, and that's not necessarily been a part of what the movies have been. I'd love this to be one where when we go on that journey of tracking down the criminals and trying to solve a crime, it's going to allow his character to have an arc so that he can go through a transformation."

The cast of The Batman is expected to also include Westworld star Jeffrey Wright as Jim Gordon, and Jonah Hill in a currently-unknown villain role. Filming is rumored to begin early next year in the United Kingdom.

Unread 2019-10-16, 08:00 PM   #253
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Warner Bros. Was Reportedly Interested in Seth Rogen for Penguin Role in The Batman

DC's The Batman reboot movie has been making big headlines this week with new casting news - like Zoe Kravitz landing the role of Catwoman. Now comes a new report that states Warner Bros. and director Matt Reeves couldn't come to deal to cast Jonah Hill in The Batman, despite rumors that the Wolf of Wall Street actor was in talks for an iconic Batman villain role. However, included in the report that Hill is out of The Batman comes another headline-worthy reveal: Apparently Warner Bros. was also eyeing Seth Rogen for a villain role in The Batman!
As Deadline reports, Seth Rogen was eyed for a role as The Penguin in The Batman, though it's unclear if that is still one of Warner Bros. and Matt Reeves' casting goals:
"We heard that there was interest from the production in Seth Rogen for the role of the Penguin, however, but I hear no offers or talks occurred."

These details about The Batman casting process and its current state are still coming to light, so it's hard to know from Deadline's phrasing above if Seth Rogen is still on the list of actors the studio will be approaching, or if the process has moved on.

Update: According to Borys Kit of of THR, Rogen being considered for The Batman was a part of the early process of also trying to land Jonah Hill for Riddler - and that neither casting hope ultimately worked out:

"On the Seth Rogen BATMAN rumor: there were some initial talks for him to play Penguin while WB courted Hill for Riddler (once they settled on him actually playing Riddler and not Penguin), but that too didn't work out." --Borys Kit

It's interesting to learn what kind of cast Matt Reeves and the studio were trying to put together for The Batman: in fact, the notion of Robert Pattinson playing Batman against a Seth Rogen Penguin and Jonah Hill Riddler sounds like early 2010s fan-casting by a high school kid. Now that it's not happening, it's almost certainly going to be mocked as yet another strange case of DC movie casting under Warner Bros. Ironically enough, the most readily accepted casting for The Batman so far has been the usually-volatile race-switch casting of Westworld's Jeffrey Wright as Commissioner Gordon, and the casting of Zoe Kravitz as Catwoman. DC fans are all good with that (go figure...).

Unread 2019-10-18, 02:38 PM   #254
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

THE BATMAN Finds Its Riddler In ESCAPE AT DANNEMORA & THERE WILL BE BLOOD Star Paul Dano

Less than a day after talks broke down with Jonah Hill, Matt Reeves' The Batman has found one of its key villains in Escape at Dannemora and Love & Mercy star Paul Dano, who will play The Riddler...

Warner Bros. has announced today that Golden Globe-nominee Paul Dano has joined the cast of Matt Reeves' The Batman in the highly coveted villain role of The Riddler. However, unlike his previous live-action appearances, the alter-ego of Dano's version of The Riddler will be named Edward Nashton, not Edward Nygma, which actually lines up with the character's origin story in the comics.

Dano joins an ensemble headlined by Robert Pattinson (The Lighthouse) as the Dark Knight, with a supporting cast that recently added Zoë Kravitz (Big Little Lies) as Selina Kyle/Catwoman and Jeffrey Wright (Westworld) as Commissioner Gordon.

This latest casting news comes less than a day after talks broke down with Jonah Hill (Maniac), which seemingly suggests that Reeves and the studio were already high on Dano prior to ending negotiations with Hill.

Matt Reeves (War for the Planet of the Apes) is directing from a screenplay he co-wrote with Mattson Tomlin (Little Fish). Pre-production has already begun with filming set to commence at the tail end of this year and/or within the first few weeks of 2020.

Dano's past credits include, but are not limited to, Escape at Dannemora, Okja, War & Peace, Swiss Army Man, Love & Mercy, 12 Years a Slave, Prisoners, Looper, Cowboys & Aliens, Knight and Day, There Will Be Blood and Little Miss Sunshine.

Unread 2019-10-18, 02:39 PM   #255
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

THE BATMAN Star Robert Pattinson Says The Dark Knight "Isn't A Hero"; Mattson Tomlin Confirmed As Co-Writer

The Batman star Robert Pattinson explains why he believes the Caped Crusader isn't a hero and is instead a far more complicated character. Find more details on that and the movie's co-writer here!

Robert Pattinson will play the Caped Crusader in Matt Reeves' The Batman, and in a recent interview with The New York Times, the actor touched on his perception of the character while possibly dropping some hints about what we should expect from his take on the iconic DC Comics superhero.

Well, maybe "superhero" is the wrong word!

"Batman’s not a hero, though," the actor argued. "He’s a complicated character. I don’t think I could ever play a real hero — there’s always got to be something a little bit wrong. I think it’s because one of my eyes is smaller than the other one." As for what excites him about Batman, he added: "I love the director, Matt Reeves, and it’s a dope character. His morality is a little bit off."

"He’s not the golden boy, unlike almost every other comic-book character. There is a simplicity to his worldview, but where it sits is strange, which allows you to have more scope with the character."

As for the reaction online to the news that he's playing the next Dark Knight, Pattinson admits that it was better than he expected. "Maybe I’m just used to abuse by now. At least I didn’t get death threats this time — that’s a plus! It’s funny that people are so very angry about Twilight. I never particularly understood it."

There's certainly a lot to digest there, and it sounds like Reeves and Pattinson are really going to lean into the fact that Batman is an anti-hero and not a clear cut good guy.

Unread 2019-10-18, 02:51 PM   #256
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

The Batman: WB Reportedly Still Looking for Penguin Actor

The ensemble of Warner Bros.' The Batman is gradually beginning to take shape, most recently with the casting of There Will Be Blood and Little Miss Sunshine star Paul Dano as Edward Nygma/The Riddler. Between The Riddler and Zoe Kravitz's Selina Kyle/Catwoman, Batman will have quite a few antagonists to fight in the upcoming film -- but it sounds like yet another one is on the way. According to a new report from Deadline, the "next order of business" for those involved with the film is to cast an actor to portray Oswald Cobblepot/The Penguin.

To an extent, The Penguin having a role in The Batman has been a bit of an open secret during the past year or so, and was subsequently confirmed in a report this past May. Many had speculated that Jonah Hill could have been in the running for the part before he exited negotiations earlier this week, something that Deadline's reporting seems to verify. The article also claims that Hill and Dano were not up for the same role, but that Hill might have "fancied" playing The Riddler over The Penguin.

Deadline's report doesn't indicate any names that are in the running to play The Penguin, although that certainly hasn't stopped fans from speculating about who could or should fill the role. Josh Gad has been teasing his interest in the role since 2018, and Jack Black, Nick Frost, and Andy Serkis have all had their hats thrown into the ring in some form or fashion.

The Batman will star Robert Pattinson as Bruce Wayne/Batman, with Westworld star Jeffrey Wright lined up to play Jim Gordon. The film will be directed and co-written by Matt Reeves, who has a unique approach for how he wants to portray Gotham City.

"It's very much a point of view-driven, noir Batman tale." Reeves previously revealed. "It's told very squarely on his shoulders, and I hope it's going to be a story that will be thrilling but also emotional," Reeves continued. "It's more Batman in his detective mode than we've seen in the films. The comics have a history of that. He's supposed to be the world's greatest detective, and that's not necessarily been a part of what the movies have been. I'd love this to be one where when we go on that journey of tracking down the criminals and trying to solve a crime, it's going to allow his character to have an arc so that he can go through a transformation."

Unread 2019-10-18, 02:52 PM   #257
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Josh Gad Confirms He Will Not Play Penguin in The Batman

Josh Gad, who has flirted with the role of the Penguin in the Matt Reeves-directed The Batman for more than two years, claims he won’t be playing the Gotham mobster in the upcoming DC Comics film. After first adding Zoe Kravitz as the Catwoman to Robert Pattinson’s Dark Knight detective, Warner Bros. is in talks with Paul Dano for clue-dropping villain the Riddler. The studio is still on the hunt for an actor to play Penguin, a.k.a. Oswald Cobblepot, with only Seth Rogen named as an actor the studio reportedly expressed an interest in. Jonah Hill — who was circling one of two villain roles in The Batman — recently dropped out of talks.

“Love you all. But, once again, for those in the back... I 👏 AM 👏 NOT 👏 GOING 👏 TO 👏 PLAY 👏 THE 🐧,” Gad tweeted Thursday. Gad earlier admitted in June his frequent teasing has resulted in an overwhelming and frequent amount of fan speculation surrounding his potential involvement with The Batman.

“Ok, seeing as I keep getting this question... as much as I have LOVED torturing you all with teasing you about the Penguin, I feel like it’s time to tell you... I’m NOT actually playing this character,” the Frozen star tweeted. “But I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the fan art and the love. 😂😘”
In 2017, when asked about his apparent campaign for the role, Gad said he was “just having some fun.”

“Really, I promise! There’s nothing to... there’s no there there,” Gad told MTV News. “The internet just goes wild. I’m just having some fun putting things out there.” Asked if the villain role in a superhero movie is something he’d turn down, Gad said, “No, never. I would absolutely be open to playing the Penguin in the Batman movie.”

Unread 2019-10-18, 05:07 PM   #258
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Michael Giacchino Accepts Matt Reeves’ Offer to Score The Batman

Michael Giacchino Accepts Matt Reeves’ Offer to Score The Batman

This week has already graced us with a handful of major casting developments for Matt Reeves’ The Batman. But of course, Reeves has several behind-the-scenes roles to fill as well. And last night, the director scored a big name to handle the film’s music. During a concert at the Royal Albert Hall in London, Reeves asked Oscar-winning composer Michael Giacchino to lend his talents to the upcoming reboot. Thankfully, he said yes.

Giacchino was conducting at the hall as part of Settling the Score, a live showcase of his and David Arnold’s most memorable film compositions. It was during his performance that Reeves came out onstage and made his request. You can check out a photo of the exchange courtesy of Cinema Savvy (via Collider) below.

Obviously, Giacchino isn’t a stranger to superhero movies or any other types of big-budget action flicks. He has worked with Marvel Studios on their Spider-Man and Doctor Strange films. Additionally, he has provided the music for entries in other popular franchises like Star Trek, Star Wars, and Jurassic World. Giacchino’s relationship with Reeves dates back to when he scored Let Me In for the director in 2010. They later re-teamed on both of Reeves’ Planet of the Apes movies in 2014 and 2017.

It goes without saying that Reeves has big shoes to fill when it comes to writing the musical accompaniment for the Dark Knight’s war on crime. That job has been successfully undertaken by the likes of Danny Elfman, James Newton Howard, and Hans Zimmer. And despite all the problems with Joel Schumacher’s Batman movies, one could argue that Elliot Goldenthal’s scores are among their few redeeming aspects. But given his impressive body of work, Giacchino should be more than up to the task.
The Batman will be released on June 25, 2021.
Are you more excited to see the film now that Michael Giacchino is involved? Tell us what you think in the comment section below!

Unread 2019-10-21, 12:20 PM   #259
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Robert Pattinson Reveals the Inspiration for His Batman Voice

Robert Pattinson is playing The Batman in director Matt Reeves' reboot of the DC Comics movie franchise, and naturally, that casting has sparked a fair amount of controversy. After all, for some members of the Batman fandom, the idea of the Twilight star taking on Batman with the proper mount of grit and edge is impossible to imagine. One big point of judgement for any actor playing Batman is the voice that he chooses for The Dark Knight. Fans are definitely going to be giving Robert Pattinson's Batman voice a lot of scrutiny, so what kind of approach is the actor taking?

At the moment Pattinson is out doing press for his new psychological horror-thriller The Lighthouse, in which he stars opposite Willem Dafoe as two lighthouse keepers who start to experience madness and/or supernatural phenomenon while living on a remote island. In an interview with Access Hollywood, Pattinson reveals that Willem Dafoe's performance in The Lighthouse may actually be the inspiration for what his Batman voice will sound like:

"Willem's voice in this is quite inspiring for it to be honest. It is pretty similar to the voice I'm gonna do... I think Batman has a sort of pirate-y kind of voice..."

Cue the angry trolls who start tweeting, "Batman is NOT a pirate!"...

If nothing else, Pattinson's comment serves as good reason to check out The Lighthouse trailer, to get a sense of what he's referencing in terms of DaFoe's vocal performance. Check out that video above, and let's break it down, below:

So just be clear: Pattinson is probably not referencing the particular accent that DaFoe chooses for his character in The Lighthouse - rather the texture and tone of the voice. DaFoe indeed has a low, rumbling, gravely voice in the film - which is especially noticeable in the sections where DaFoe's voice is used in voiceover, seemingly to voice internal monologue of Pattinson's character ("Why'd you spill your beans?"). In terms of acting, it's understandable to see where Pattinson is looking as a starting point for his Batman voice - and if he can pull off something similar, his Batman may actually have a convincingly gruff and gravely voice that sounds natural, as opposed to "enhanced" by electronic devices.

That may be a crucial distinction in the case of Matt Reeves The Batman. The word is that the Batman reboot will be based on storylines from the comics like "The Long Halloween", which sees Batman embroiled in a year-long investigation of a serial killer stalking Gotham. That investigation requires Batman to interview quite a few villains from his rogues gallery as possible leads in the case - meaning, quite a few scenes of conversation between Batman an other characters in Reeves' film. That would arguably require the biggest "Batman" vocal performance ever from a live-action actor, so Pattinson would definitely need a voice to meet that challenge.

Unread 2019-10-21, 12:23 PM   #260
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

The Batman Star Robert Pattinson Breaks Silence on Zoe Kravitz Being Cast as Catwoman

Last week, news broke that Zoe Kravitz will play Catwoman in Matt Reeves’ upcoming film The Batman. She’ll star opposite Robert Pattinson as Bruce Wayne, the Batman himself. Entertainment Tonight caught up with Pattinson to discuss his new film, The Lighthouse. During the interview, Pattinson made his first comments about Kravitz joining the film. "Yes! Zoe's great and I've known her for years and years and years," he said when asked if Kravitz has what it takes to play Catwoman in the DC Comics film. "I mean, I've been friends with her for like ten years and she's brilliant."

Pattinson is still in the early stages of developing his version of Batman, but he has tried on his Batsuit. “It’s maybe the craziest thing I’ve ever done in terms of movie stuff,” Pattinson explained in an interview. “I put it on. I remember saying to Matt [Reeves], ‘It does feel quite transformative!’ He was like, ‘I would hope it does! You’re literally in the Batsuit.’

“And it’s pretty astonishing, something that is incredibly difficult to get into, so the ritual of getting into it is pretty humiliating,” Pattinson shared. “You’ve got five people trying to shove you into something. Once you’ve got it on, it’s like, ‘Yeah, I feel strong, I feel tough, even though I had to have someone squeezing my butt cheeks into the legs.’”

As for how he's mentally preparing for the role, Pattinson said in another interview that “There’s a lot going on in here, lots of things going on in my head."

The Batman will reportedly go back to the early days of the Dark Knight's career fighting crime in Gotham City. Reeves has stated the film is influenced by the classic Batman: Year One comic book story, but it will not be a straight adaptation of any particular comic book storyline.
"Year One is one of the many comic books that I love. We are definitely not doing Year One," Reeves said. "It’s just exciting to be focused very specifically on a tale that is defining for him and very personal to him. Obviously, we’re not doing an origin tale or anything like that. We’re doing a story that is definitively Batman though, and trying to tell a story that’s emotional and yet is really about him being the world’s greatest detective and all the things that for me since I was a kid, made me love Batman."

Unread 2019-10-30, 06:05 PM   #261
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

The Batman Director Matt Reeves Confirms Jeffrey Wright Will Play James Gordon

Jeffrey Wright will play Commissioner Jim Gordon in The Batman, filmmaker Matt Reeves has confirmed via Twitter. The actor, best known for his work on Westworld, has long been rumored for the role, but up until now, it has been the domain of internet and industry trade rumors. With a tweet (helpfully labeled "Tweet," and featuring a bat emoji) from Reeves, it is now official. He will join Robert Pattinson, who will play Bruce Wayne/Batman, and Zoë Kravitz, who will play Selina Kyle/Catwoman. Several prominent Batman villains have been rumored to serve as antagonists in the movie, including The Penguin and The Riddler.

That role in recent years was portrayed by Gary Oldman across Christopher Nolan’s Dark Knight trilogy and most recently by J.K. Simmons in Zack Snyder’s Justice League, set in Warner Bros.’ shared DC Extended Universe, where Simmons appeared opposite then-Batman star Ben Affleck. You can see the tweet below.

The Batman will explore a detective case — when people start dying in strange ways, Batman must go deep into the dark world of Gotham to find clues and solve the mystery/conspiracy connected to Gotham City’s history and criminals,” reads reported plot details that surfaced over the summer. “In the film, all of Batman’s Rogues Gallery are already out there and active, similar to the comics and animated shows/movies. The film will have multiple villains, as they are all suspects.”

The idea here seems to be that it gives a sense of the Gotham City that Reeves -- who is supposedly working on a trilogy of Batman films if all goes well here -- will be working with. The upside is that with so much of the audience having a familiarity with big chunks of Gotham, fans will not have to strain themselves to recognize most of the villains without a ton of backstory.

Reeves has characterized the film as a “very point of view noir-driven definitive Batman story in which he is investigating a particular case and that takes us out into the world of Gotham.”

“I went on a deep dive again revisiting all my favorite comics. Those all inform by osmosis,” Reeves explained last summer. “There’s no continuation of the Nolan films. It’s very much trying to find a way to do this as something that for me is going to be definitively Batman and new and cool.”

“Obviously we’re not doing an origin tale or anything like that,” Reeves added. “We’re doing a story that is definitively Batman though, and trying to tell a story that’s emotional and yet is really about him being the world’s greatest detective and all the things that for me, since I was a kid, made me love Batman.”

Unread 2019-11-01, 12:42 PM   #262
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

THE BATMAN: Robert Pattinson Says He's Reading A LOT Of Comic Books To Prepare For The DC Movie

Some directors don't like actors to read comic books to prepare for their superhero movie roles, but Matt Reeves clearly isn't one of them as Robert Pattinson has been doing a lot of research. Take a look!

We know that Joaquin Phoenix didn't really turn to the comic books for inspirations for Joker (which certainly didn't hurt the actor's performance), while director Bryan Singer flat out banned them on the set of the X-Men movies. Well, based on new comments from Robert Pattinson, neither of those things will be a concern for Matt Reeves' The Batman.

While he didn't name any specific issues, Pattinson made it clear that he's been reading both the classics and modern hits - hopefully by the likes of Scott Snyder and Tom King - in order to prepare.

"I'm glad I've had quite a lot of time," Pattinson explained. "I didn't realize there were so many Batman comics. Hundreds and thousands. But I've been reading a lot of those, and not really just the kind of classics. I just like reading the sort of individual periodicals. It's nice to kind of see the absolutely contemporary ones."

It's definitely good to hear that the actor is putting in the work, and seeing as we're getting what sounds like a comic-accurate take on the Dark Knight as Reeves delves into what makes him the World's Greatest Detective, this a smart move on Pattinson's part.

Unread 2019-11-05, 07:01 PM   #263
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

The Batman: Colin Farrell In Talks To Play Penguin

Colin Farrell is in talks to play Penguin in Matt Reeves' upcoming movie The Batman, which stars Robert Pattinson in the title role. Jonah Hill was previously in talks for a role, believed to be either Penguin or the Riddler, but ultimately passed on the movie. Paul Dano has since been cast as Riddler, with Zoë Kravitz set to play Catwoman.
The news of Farrell being in talks to play Oswald Cobblepot a.k.a. Penguin comes on the heels of Andy Serkis being cast as Alfred Pennyworth, Bruce Wayne's faithful butler. Jeffrey Wright was also recently confirmed to be playing Commissioner Jim Gordon, Batman's ally among the police. The Batman is expected to begin filming in early 2020 for a summer 2021 release.

Deadline reports that Warner Bros. is currently negotiating with Farrell for the role of Penguin. If the deal closes it will mark the second superhero movie villain role for Farrell, who also played Bullseye in the 2003 Daredevil movie. This will be the third time we've seen Penguin on the big screen, as Danny DeVito played the villain in Batman Returns and Burgess Meredith reprised his role from the TV series in the 1966 Batman movie. A younger version of the character was played by Robin Lord Taylor in FOX's Batman prequel series Gotham.

Farrell is a surprising choice for the role of Penguin, given that he's better known for leading man roles, or for playing more seductive villains like Corporal McBurney in The Beguiled, Percival Graves in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, or vampire-next-door Jerry in the remake of Fright Night. However, he does have a talent for comedy, as evidenced by his broadly humorous character in Horrible Bosses and more dry-witted performances in The Lobster and In Bruges, so his casting makes sense if Reeves wants someone who can deliver intensity and also get a few laughs.

Unread 2019-11-05, 07:02 PM   #264
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

The Batman Casts Andy Serkis As Alfred Pennyworth

Matt Reeves' The Batman casts Andy Serkis to play Alfred Pennyworth. With Robert Pattinson having been cast as the latest big screen Caped Crusader earlier this year, attention has recently turned to the film's supporting cast. Ahead of production reportedly beginning this December, Reeves and company have been filling out the rest of the ensemble, recruiting Jeffrey Wright to play Commissioner Gordon, Paul Dano to portray the Riddler, and Zoe Kravitz as Catwoman. But, of course, there are more roles to be filled.

One of the most important figures in Batman mythology is Alfred Pennyworth, the Wayne family butler who raises young Bruce after he loses his parents. All previous cinematic iterations of the franchise put their spin on Alfred, most recently with Jeremy Irons appearing in Batman v Superman and Justice League. But, as evidenced by Wright taking on the role of Gordon, Reeves is not beholden to the previous works of the DCEU, and can fill out the supporting cast as he sees fit. That means it's time for someone else to play Alfred.

According to The Wrap, Serkis has been cast as Alfred in The Batman. With this, Serkis becomes the latest to be involved with Marvel and DC films. He previously played Ulysses Klaue in the MCU and is directing Venom 2 for Sony. The addition of Serkis is just one major casting update for The Batman today, as it's also been reported Colin Farrell is being eyed to play The Penguin.

Serkis is best-known for his motion-capture acting work, including his role as Caesar in the rebooted Planet of the Apes film trilogy. The latter two installments of that series were directed by Reeves, so it isn't surprising The Batman will see the pair reunite. They clearly enjoyed collaborating with one another, and it should be fun to see them together again. What will be interesting to keep an eye on his how Serkis balances what's bound to be a busy schedule. The latest word is Venom 2 will start production in November, meaning there could be some crossover between that sequel and The Batman. Since The Batman doesn't premiere until June 2021, it's possible the start date on that project is pushed back until some point in 2020. Regardless, Serkis wouldn't have even considered taking on Alfred if he wasn't confident in his time management skills.

Another fascinating bit is Serkis is going to be a much younger version of Alfred than viewers are accustomed to seeing. Michael Caine was 72 when Batman Begins debuted in 2005, and Irons turned 68 the year Batman v Superman came out. Serkis is in his late 50s, so Reeves is changing things up here. Surely, the Bruce/Alfred dynamic will be similar to what fans know, but there's an opportunity here to do some different things with the character. Since there have been two other Alfreds in close proximity to each other, going a slightly different route on The Batman is appreciated.

Unread 2019-11-06, 07:05 PM   #265
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Report: Succession’s Jeremy Strong Passed on a Role in The Batman

Report: Succession’s Jeremy Strong Passed on a Role in The Batman

Having multiple villains can sometimes hurt a superhero movie, but The Batman is taking its chances with three different rogues. Yesterday brought word that Colin Farrell was in talks to play the Penguin in Matt Reeves’ upcoming reboot. If Farrell signs on, he’ll menace Robert Pattinson’s Batman alongside Paul Dano’s Riddler and Zoe Kravitz’s Catwoman. However, a new development suggests that the film could re-introduce yet another one of the Dark Knight’s most famous enemies.

After it was announced that Farrell and Andy Serkis had begun negotiations to appear in The Batman as Penguin and Alfred Pennyworth, respectively, Variety’s Justin Kroll dropped one more bombshell on fans. Via Twitter, he shared that Warner Bros. was circling an actor from HBO’s Succession to star as Harvey Dent/Two-Face. Unfortunately, the then-unnamed actor decided to pass on the role. You can check out his tweet for yourself below.

Later, The Wrap’s Umberto Gonzalez responded to Kroll’s tweet to clarify that the actor in question was Jeremy Strong. Strong has played Kendall Roy on Succession since the series premiered last year. But instead of Harvey Dent, the studio was apparently eyeing him to play “the Wasserman role” in the movie. Gonzalez didn’t provide any other clues about the nature of this role or why Strong turned it down. Still, it’s worth noting that he didn’t deny that Dent appears in the film’s script.
Hearing that Harvey Dent might have a role in The Batman is surprising, especially after Aaron Eckhart delivered a standout performance as the villain in The Dark Knight in 2008. It also doesn’t help that the last time Two-Face and the Riddler appeared in a movie together, it didn’t exactly go well. Of course, Reeves isn’t Joel Schumacher. And if Kroll’s reporting turns out to be accurate, it’s a safe bet that The Batman will handle the characters far better than Batman Forever did.
What are your thoughts on Harvey Dent/Two-Face possibly showing up in The Batman? Do you have any theories about the Wasserman role? Let us know in the comment section below!

Unread 2019-11-08, 04:36 PM   #266
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

What The Batman Casting Reveals About The Movie

With every new announcement and rumor, the cast for The Batman reveals so much about what the movie will be. Matt Reeves’s take on Batman hasn’t even started shooting yet, and it won’t be released until June 2021, but that hasn’t stopped fans from getting wildly excited about every new piece of information.

After Ben Affleck’s short run as Bruce Wayne came to an end when the Zack Snyder leadership of the DCEU was halted by Warner Bros., it seemed inevitable that Batman’s future would go in a far different direction from what had previously been planned. The reveal that Robert Pattinson would take on the lead role only further cemented that idea. While Pattinson has blockbuster experience thanks to the Twilight series, he’s spent the past decade focusing on auteur-driven indies and experimental fare that’s helped to remold his reputation as one of his generation’s finest actors. The news that Pattinson was our new Batman was a true surprise, and frankly, so has every other piece of casting related to the project.

So far, a few names have been confirmed for The Batman while others remain rumors or in early talks according to the trades. Zoë Kravitz was announced as the new Catwoman while Paul Dano will play the Riddler and Westworld’s Jeffrey Wright will take on the part of Commissioner Gordon. Then there are the rumors that Colin Farrell will play the Penguin and that Andy Serkis is in early discussions for the role of Alfred Pennyworth.
These are big-name actors of both critical and commercial clout. Kravitz starred in Big Little Lies, one of the most popular HBO series of the past few years, while Dano has made a name for himself as an actor, writer, and director with films like Wildlife. Colin Farrell's currently a muse of Yorgos Lanthimos who can swing back and forth between esoteric indie movies and Disney blockbusters like Dumbo, and Andy Serkis is, of course, one of the true revolutionaries of acting and its intersections with technology. We still don't know much about the film in terms of story, style, and themes, but there are elements we can gleam and draw further speculation from through these casting stories.
The Ages of Batman & Catwoman

Pattinson and Kravitz are around the same age - 33 and 30 respectively - which fits in well with Reeves wanting a younger take on the character. Granted, Pattinson is actually older than Christian Bale was when he got the role, but he was never played as a youthful figure when he was Batman and there was always a sense of him feeling older. Readers seem to prefer Bruce as a slightly older figure and many felt Pattinson was too young for the part, but there's much creative potential to gleam from a take on Bruce where he's trying to find himself as Batman while scouring the streets of Gotham - especially if those villains he faces are of a comparable age. Paul Dano is also 35 and each of them could easily play younger if needed.
The Penguin Is Already Established In Gotham

While Pattinson and company are decidedly youthful figures, Colin Farrell is 43, making him a good decade older than his new adversary. Farrell is an unexpected choice for the role of the Penguin, especially considering the actor reportedly previously considered for the part was Jonah Hill. Bringing Farrell on board suggests The Batman will slow the Gotham underworld as partly ruled by Oswald Cobblepot, an established player in the city's criminal games. It also seems unlikely that this Penguin will borrow from Danny DeVito in its speculative grotesqueness and will have more in common with the well-dressed gangsters of the comics.

The Batman Has Multiple Villains

The decision to have Batman go up against a full slate of iconic villains is one that’s been discussed since the project was in its earliest stages, with many speculating that the story could be based on or borrow heavily from Jeph Loeb’s The Long Halloween. In that comic arc, which takes place during Bruce's early days as Batman, he works with Harvey Dent and Jim Gordon to track down a mysterious killer named Holiday, who murders people on major holidays, one every month. This leads him to confront the biggest names in Gotham's crime world, from Scarecrow to Poison Ivy, the Riddler, Calendar Man, and the Joker.
It's an interesting change of pace for The Batman to focus on multiple villains rather than one or two, which has been the accepted model for comic book movies for some time now. It implies a soft reboot of sorts for DC, one where they can reintroduce a new age of Gotham to audiences and do so in one fell swoop with as many characters as possible. If this is their approach then there are some major gaps to be filled in terms of casting. Will Poison Ivy or Calendar Man show up? Will we see more of Gotham’s major crime families like the Maroni and Falcone clans? Is it possible Joker will turn up, and if so, will it be a brand new actor or can Warner Bros. convince Joaquin Phoenix to sign up for a franchise?
The Batman Isn't In The DCEU

The most obvious revelation to take from these casting announcements is that the film does not seem to be part of the DC Extended Universe. With Jeffrey Wright now in the role of Commissioner Gordon and not J.K. Simmons, it's a little harder for DC to slot in Pattinson after Affleck and pretend it's business as usual. Of course, this news is hardly unexpected. Talk of a reboot for the franchise has been plentiful since Justice League underperformed and rumors began swirling that Affleck wanted out of the role. Warner Bros. seems happy to eschew their original plans for a franchise and simply pick and choose the elements that worked best to carry on in whatever shape the story takes from now on.

That means Aquaman, whose film made over $1 billion, will still be there, as will Wonder Woman, Harley Quinn, and a couple of figures from Suicide Squad, but no Batfleck, no Jared Leto as Joker, and no Jeremy Irons as Alfred. It messes up any plans for a super contained continuity, but that was never DC’s strong suit and it’s far better for them to experiment more with their formula rather than try to copy Marvel. The Batman gives them a fresh slate to show the world what DC is capable of.

Unread 2019-11-11, 05:08 PM   #267
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

The Batman Casts Jayme Lawson in Secret Role

Casting for DC's The Batman continues with the report that an unknown talent has just been tapped for a major role in Matt Reeves' Batman report. Jayme Lawson has just graduated from The Julliard School in New York, and has gotten the shot of a lifetime as a graduation present by landing this Batman movie casting. No word on which character from the Batman mythos Lawson will play, but the fact that it's being kept under secrecy when so many other roles are being announced with big stars attached (Penguin, Riddler, Catwoman), says that this is most likely not just a bit role.

Based on what we know about casting for The Batman so far, Collider's report about Lawson's casting may actually say quite a bit.

The casting of Jeffrey Wright as Commissioner Gordon has been an interesting twist on The Batman cast, albeit one fans have largely embraced. However, with the casting of a person of color as Gordon, the Commissioner's family (which is extremely important to the Batman mythos) would suggest that the Gordon family by similarly diverse. So with the casting of Jayme Lawson, there's every possibility that she could play someone like Barbara Eileen Gordon (The Commissioner's wife), or his daughter, Barbara "Barb" Gordon, who becomes both the female hero Batgirl, and later "Oracle," the hacker/tech support guru for Batman and other heroes around Gotham City.
That's all speculation, of course, as Matt Reeves' The Batman is literally building an entirely new Batman cinematic world for fans to play in. Jayme Lawson could just as easily be playing some kind of friend to Zoe Kravitz' Catwoman, or a spin on Batman love interests like Vicky Vale, or a character like Sarah Essen, the GCPD cop Gordon works with early in his career, and eventually ends up having an affair with. The real questions here are:
0comments
  1. Why all the secrecy surrounding this role, in particular?
  2. Would Warner Bros. really bet potential franchise spinoffs like a Batgirl film or that oft-rumored Gotham City Sirens team-up film (featuring Batgirl) on such an unknown new talent (remarkable as she may be)?
As always it comes down to the business factors we don't know about (budget for spinoff films, the actual acting talent involved), so what's your best guess?

Unread 2019-11-13, 02:43 PM   #268
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

THE BATMAN: Jayme Lawson's Role Has Reportedly Been Revealed And She's Not Playing Barbara Gordon

When Matt Reeves cast Juilliard graduate Jayme Lawson in The Batman, speculation started running rampant that she could be playing Barbara Gordon/Batgirl. However, her actual role has now been revealed.

The Batman has been making a lot of high-profile casting additions lately but a few days ago, the Matt Reeves helmed release added Jayme Lawson, a newcomer who has only just graduated from The Juilliard School. No details about her role were revealed at the time but speculation immediately started running rampant that she could be Barbara Gordon.

After all, with Jeffrey Wright taking on the role of Commissioner Gordon, it would certainly make sense for Lawson to play someone like Barbara, especially as she's in the right age group.

Well, we can forget about seeing Batgirl on the big screen for now because io9 has revealed that Lawson is actually playing a woman named Bella, a character described as "a grassroots political candidate running for office in Gotham." With Harvey Dent expected to play a role in The Batman, it seems entirely feasible that "Bella" could be a rival of sorts who is also competing for that D.A. role.

There have been rumblings that Reeves is planning to introduce some of Batman's sidekicks over the course of his trilogy so there is a strong chance we'll get to see the likes of Batgirl and Robin somewhere down the line. For now, though, it seems the focus will remain mostly on the Dark Knight.

Unread 2019-11-13, 02:44 PM   #269
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

THE BATMAN: Possible Details Revealed About Robert Pattinson's Batsuit And It May Be Blue And Grey

Some rumoured new details about the Batsuit Robert Pattinson will don in The Batman have found their way online today and it sounds like director Matt Reeves is definitely going back to the comics...

Over the past 24 hours, some very interesting new rumours have started doing the rounds about The Batman and, specifically, the Batsuit Robert Pattinson will be wearing in 2021.

Firstly, Thomas Polito has claimed that the costume will be blue and gray and that a first look could come our way as soon as next month. Then, another online scooper - KC Walsh - adds that we should expect, "a modernized take on the [Adam] West costume, incorporating Blues and Greys, but no longer yellow." He adds that, "most importantly I’m told it will feature the white eyes."
That all sounds pretty cool but, honestly, both of these guys (like any self proclaimed scooper) have spotty track records, so it's best to take all of this with a pinch of salt for the time being.

Still, there's no smoke without fire and with so many people claiming the same thing, it's entirely possible that we're getting a classic Batsuit, minus the yellow chest symbol, something a lot of fans were actually hoping to see in the reboot. Those white eyes will no doubt look amazing on screen.

What are your thoughts on these rumours about The Batman? Sound off in the usual place.

Tags
batman, ben affleck, deathstroke, joe manganiello