Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > Automotive Forums > The Automotive Lounge

Unread 2011-05-25, 07:11 PM   #51
feraldarkness

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 34
Likes (Received): 209
Dislikes (Given): 30
Dislikes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by volksmech View Post
i wish people would get off this interior high horse. if a car out performs another car who really gives a fuck about the interior. not me. i will sit on a fucking milk crate if i need to.

i have worked on a lot of interiors of a lot of diffrent cars and i just don't get it. just be happy that you can hit the go pedal and put bus lengths on the guy next to you.
not to mention all interiors are just differnt colored plastic / cloth shit covering carboard.

If they try to compete with the others, they will ruin the niche they have. Corvettes are supossed to be attainable by normal hard working people, not a $300,000 super car.
This relationship is about 10 Natty Lights and a popped collar Bro away from destruction.
feraldarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2011-05-25, 08:02 PM   #52
BluBeaSSt

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 100
Likes (Given): 612
Likes (Received): 651
Dislikes (Given): 33
Dislikes (Received): 29

Lots of LAWLZ in this thread
BluBeaSSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2011-05-25, 11:30 PM   #53
Dave B

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 133
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 998
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by feraldarkness View Post
not to mention all interiors are just differnt colored plastic / cloth shit covering carboard.

If they try to compete with the others, they will ruin the niche they have. Corvettes are supossed to be attainable by normal hard working people, not a $300,000 super car.
Do you not realize that it really doesn't cost that much more to offer nicer interior panels, finishes, seats, etc? We're not talking a full leather wrapped interior. There is absolutely NO excuse as to why GM's $55K to $110K halo sportscar interior can't have the quality, fit, and finish of a $35K base Caddy CTS, IS250, G25, or even a base model BMW 3 series.
Dave B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2011-05-25, 11:37 PM   #54
Dave B

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 133
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 998
Dislikes (Received): 63

I have a hard time seeing this turbo, small displacement high revving V8 making it to production unless GM has plans to offer the motor in trucks and other passenger cars. It needs to be able to share much of that motor with some other chassis. I haven't heard anything from GM regarding the use of turbos or new OHC V8s. Maybe they got the memo that Ford's Ecoboost F150 will start kicking their ass? As much as I'd love to see it and own it, I don't see a 10,000rpm turbo V8 making it into a production Vette. I think this is just one of those rumors like the midengine Vette they've been talking about for over 3 decades now.
Dave B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2011-05-25, 11:49 PM   #55
Gunnar
Broseph Stalin

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 110
Thanks (Received): 126
Likes (Given): 352
Likes (Received): 800
Dislikes (Given): 6
Dislikes (Received): 17

Last summer I had the opportunity to drive an older Ferrari (550 Maranello) and a C6 Z06 back to back. Both fun cars as far as putting them through their paces but it was the solid feeling and craftsmanship of the Ferrari where I felt the gap in MSRP.

I don't really care if they put super awesome interior in the Corvette, I enjoy the cars for what they are, but I understand the price difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanb
Smolies, I will straight prison rape anything you drive. I don't give a fuck if its yours or not.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes 99BlackHatch liked this post
Gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2011-05-26, 01:30 AM   #56
RPOlt4

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 32
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 162
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 7

If the definition of "mid engine" in this thread is the engine is located behind the front axle but in front of the cockpit, well, the Corvette is pretty much already that. If it means the engine is behind the cockpit, no, it will never happen.

The engine, at least, in the base C7, is strongly rumored to be the 5.3 ltr currently used in the C6 Lemans cars. With direct injection, producing about the same HP as the current 6.2 ltr, as I understand it. We may, and probably will see a turbo 6 in the Vette one day, but I'd bet this is at least in the 8th or 9th Generation, but not in the C7.

Yes, for the performance level of the car, the interior has a "mass produced" look...wait a minute...oh yeah, it IS mass produced.

Folks, let's remember exactly what the Corvette is, it is a mass produced sports car with annual build numbers in the tens of thousands. The Ferrari and Lambo's are hand built in the low hundreds (if that). It is not the cost of materials that keep GM from putting in those types of interiors, it is the cost of labor to install it. Besides, IMO that Ferrari interior is fugly. I'd rather bland than fugly myself, but that's just a subjective opinion.

When GM says they're going after Ferrari, Porsche etc. They're not talking about buyers, they're talking about performance. They know that the typical exotic buyer is not going to "lower" themself to a mass produced Chevrolet. With a few exceptions, the exotic buyer is purchasing the "name" not the performance, although it has to be there in order for "name" to mean anything, but this particular car will never be pushed to it's potential none the less. (Not that many Vettes are either) What GM is shooting for when use this comparison is the potential Corvette buyer. The guy/gal that has reasonable resources but can't or won't drop a half mil on a car. To produce a $60-$75K car that compete with the "name" on a track at a fraction of the cost is what brings them in.

Combine the purchase price with the fact that you can actually drive the Corvette to work everyday, and even pick you kids up from school(well, one of them anyway) with reasonable reliability, the Corvette becomes great value to the sports car enthusiast. Now throw in the relative cheap cost of ownership compared to the "name" and the Corvette stands alone as the obvious choice for the "working man's toy". That is what Corvette is, was, and always will be.

The C7 will be nothing more and nothing less than an evolution, not revolution, of the previous generation. It will be based on past success, current market, and of course regulatory demands. All fitting in with attaining the expected profitablity. The platform, beginning with C4, evolving to what it is today, has been extremely successful for GM and they're not about to screw with that formula.

Oh and $131 million invested in the plant is for the addition of a new product line to be built at that plant, what, no one knows but the guy writing the checks.
RPOlt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2011-05-26, 01:43 AM   #57
FOACAD
الكافر المشرف

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 570
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 3830
Dislikes (Given): 27
Dislikes (Received): 148

High revving turbo v8 mid engine corvette.....

that just sounds funny. lol. but in an awesome omg i cant wait to hear how it sounds kind of way.

Even if it isnt mid engine, it would be kind of neat to see the vette with a turbo from the factory. It would really open up the aftermarket world imo.
FOACAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2011-06-02, 06:48 PM   #58
Phate

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 24
Likes (Given): 281
Likes (Received): 81
Dislikes (Given): 8
Dislikes (Received): 4

Just now saw this article. I think it sucks.
Unread 2011-06-02, 06:52 PM   #59
YourWorstNightmare

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 105
Likes (Given): 1033
Likes (Received): 639
Dislikes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by inis View Post
3ltr turbo v8 that revs to 10k

I like the sound of that better then any other rumor I've heard.

WINNING

YourWorstNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2011-06-07, 08:43 PM   #60
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

2012 Corvette Gets Upgraded To More Germanized Standards

By Josh Lewis on May 8, 2011 / 1 comment

So most of you who know me know that I’m not much of a Corvette fan these days. Classic ‘vettes, hell yes. Growing up, my father had nothing but Corvettes, so I was never really exposed to what the others were offering, and so I became complacent with what I had. But once I was old enough to drive and started hanging around Porsches, BMWs, etc. I realized that I didn’t like Corvettes so much. They didn’t suit me. I started driving my father’s various models, and once again realized that they really didn’t fit who I was.

One thing my father and I argue about relentlessly, especially over his most recent purchases of a 2009 Z06 and a 2010 Grand Sport coupe within the last couple of years, was the issue with the interior. Sure, Corvette does a nice job with the leather stitched dash, but not as good a job as the kids from Germany. My dad seems to be under the impression that the interior of a 4LT or 3LZ (4LT is the leather wrapped dash for regular Corvettes and Grand Sport models, while the 3LZ is the same package for the Z06 and ZR1) Corvette is the same exact way it’s done by Porsche, BMW, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Mercedes-Benz, Audi, and the likes. Uh, do what?
My favorite comment my father makes about us automotive critics is, “You damn writers just cuddle up to the Germans. The only reason you hate the interior is because you want to hate Corvettes. You just hate American cars…” He forgets that my favorite car I’ve owned thus far is my 2008 Ford Bullitt Mustang. But Ford isn’t as good as GM in his eyes.

But now, though, new for 2012, GM has took some listening to us out here and are offering a newer interior with better bolstered seats and a nicer steering wheel.
The picture above is from the new Corvette Z06 Centennial Edition, which celebrates the 100 years of Chevrolet. Personally, I like the look of the seats. I think the butt area is still squishy looking, but at least they’ve give proper shoulder and hip bolsters. The steering wheel also appears to be a little beefier, which I’ve always groaned about. The suede-like seats, armrest and wheel look great to me, as well. Maybe the Corvette will actually have a proper interior that holds you when you throw it into a corner? That was one thing that didn’t scared me when driving my father’s ’09 Z06 around back roads: if you went corner to corner just pushing the car harder through each one, you were really scared. I wasn’t afraid of the grip; I knew it was there. The seats made me afraid, because each corner that I took faster and harder proved difficult for me to steer and shift properly when the seat had me slamming into the driver’s door and the center console.

Also new for 2012 are Michelin R-Compound cup tires for the Z06 and ZR1. Or as they’re officially called, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires. They’re supposedly good for 8% more grip for Z06 and ZR1 cars equipped with the Z07 and PDE packages for each car respectively. The Corvette team has also improved their lap time at VIR by as much as 3-seconds due to these tires… Excellent performance, indeed. They appear to be just barely a street tire.

More options include new colors, such as the replacement of Jetstream Blue (pictured on the Z06 up top) with Carlisle Blue. Other options include new wheels, a blue convertible top, painted calipers, new Bose sound system, and much more. You can read more about the 2012 Corvette in this PDF brought to us by Corvette Blogger via Kerbeck Corvette, or in the press release below.
I must say, I have to commend Corvette for really taking what the car needed more seriously. Granted, it’s a bit late, but I’m happier with the car. I now can’t wait for the C7 Corvette, especially since I’ve talked to certain people inside the Corvette team about the new interior… It’s looking good, I must say.

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2011-06-07, 09:11 PM   #61
TAILWAG

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 199
Thanks (Received): 128
Likes (Given): 355
Likes (Received): 777
Dislikes (Given): 29
Dislikes (Received): 10

I think one of the main reasons why GM does not make the seats more aggressive is because 90% of corvette owners will never drive the cars the way they are supposed to be driven...you will often see them in car shows with chairs that they haul on the back of their cars...hell, probably not even 5% of those cars will EVER see a track event or driven hard. It is a shame.

However, cars like the carbon edition, which are made to be flogged on the track....bleh. That is where GM should have spent 10k more and put a nice set of seats. They did change the steering wheel which looks great and feels awesome...but the seats, they are still not up to standards.

About a month ago I had a chance to drive some ferraris and some lambos. I hate to say this, but, while the quality of the interior was better than a lot of cars, it was not worlds apart from the corvette, vw, porsche or other cars. I am not impressed by the corvette interior, and I am not impressed with the porsche interior. I would put the interior of a gallardo or 430 to par with the feel and quality of the GTR...not sure what that means, but, in my book, if simple attention is placed to QUALITY, astonishing results could be accomplished. I think the corvette can have a much better interior if better quality control is added to their process. Styling is very subjective. One of my favorite interiors is the one out of the S2000. Simple, down to the point and very well put together. Gadgets and gizmos are for playstation...not my cup of tea.

As far as the turbo high revvin v8....or a turbo 6...I highly doubt it. I think you will still see the 8 cyl people are accustomed to...maybe a variable of that motor, but no turbo and definitely no 6 cyl. $ 20 bet anyone?
TAILWAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2011-06-08, 09:46 AM   #62
RPOlt4

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 32
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 162
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 7

True statement bt Tailwag on the current majority of newer Corvettes. But, if one wants to understand the Corvette interior today one must look at it's history and who the target buyers were and still are.

The Corvette was originally designed to compete with the little European roadsters, MGB, Fiat, Triumph, etc. The reason was that many of the soldiers from the "Big One" (WWII), were exposed to these cars when over there. They were having them shipped over here. GM saw the market and made the Corvette.

Long story short, the Corvette has been directly marketed to the baby boomers, that generation born shortly after WWII. If one looks at the evolution of the Corvette, it really correlates to the desires, and requirements of the baby boomers at that point in their lives. The power increases, the refinements, the fuel economics, technological advances. While the Corvette was never a "cheap" car, it's advancement and price increased with baby boomers demand and ability to pay.

The pinnacle of the Corvette interior, in terms of quality comparo and functionality in a sports car was, arguably, the last editions of the fourth generation. Of course, this was when the baby boomers were in their thirties and early forties. The interiors of these cars are for all intents and purposes, a true cockpit. The seats, even the base seats, had bolsters that would hold a skinny person snug. Every control and button can just about be reached without removing ones hand from the wheel. The late C4 was a car that one "wore" and not sat in. But one had to be fairly agile to get in and out of it.

The C5 marked the aging of the baby boomer. As these folks got a little older, a little bigger, and a little less agile, they needed a car they could get in and out of. Thus the wider seats with smaller bolsters. (The C5 seat feels like a couch compared to the base seat in my '96.) The interiors became more of a car interior and less of a cockpit. This out of neccessity.

What will be interesting to see is the direction of the Corvette in the next few generations. The last of the "boomers" are hitting retirement age and will be having little use for a Corvette sooner than later. What will GM do with the brand then? Who will be the new Corvette market? Will there even be a market for the Corvette?
RPOlt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2011-06-08, 11:41 AM   #63
Billy Mild

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 115
Thanks (Received): 74
Likes (Given): 2535
Likes (Received): 581
Dislikes (Given): 84
Dislikes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPOlt4 View Post
True statement bt Tailwag on the current majority of newer Corvettes. But, if one wants to understand the Corvette interior today one must look at it's history and who the target buyers were and still are.

The Corvette was originally designed to compete with the little European roadsters, MGB, Fiat, Triumph, etc. The reason was that many of the soldiers from the "Big One" (WWII), were exposed to these cars when over there. They were having them shipped over here. GM saw the market and made the Corvette.

Long story short, the Corvette has been directly marketed to the baby boomers, that generation born shortly after WWII. If one looks at the evolution of the Corvette, it really correlates to the desires, and requirements of the baby boomers at that point in their lives. The power increases, the refinements, the fuel economics, technological advances. While the Corvette was never a "cheap" car, it's advancement and price increased with baby boomers demand and ability to pay.

The pinnacle of the Corvette interior, in terms of quality comparo and functionality in a sports car was, arguably, the last editions of the fourth generation. Of course, this was when the baby boomers were in their thirties and early forties. The interiors of these cars are for all intents and purposes, a true cockpit. The seats, even the base seats, had bolsters that would hold a skinny person snug. Every control and button can just about be reached without removing ones hand from the wheel. The late C4 was a car that one "wore" and not sat in. But one had to be fairly agile to get in and out of it.

The C5 marked the aging of the baby boomer. As these folks got a little older, a little bigger, and a little less agile, they needed a car they could get in and out of. Thus the wider seats with smaller bolsters. (The C5 seat feels like a couch compared to the base seat in my '96.) The interiors became more of a car interior and less of a cockpit. This out of neccessity.

What will be interesting to see is the direction of the Corvette in the next few generations. The last of the "boomers" are hitting retirement age and will be having little use for a Corvette sooner than later. What will GM do with the brand then? Who will be the new Corvette market? Will there even be a market for the Corvette?
Funny you say this. The C4 ZR1 was one bad car.
1991 Corvette ZR-1 #1599 of 2,044 airlid mod
2016 RAM 1500-Roll coal
1986 Yamaha RZ350-blown up
1971 Yamaha AT1c-In the middle of restoration
Billy Mild is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2011-09-26, 04:57 PM   #64
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Next Corvette will sport seven-speed manual, too

By Jeff Glucker RSS feed
Posted Sep 26th 2011 11:28AM

Comments87

Perhaps the manual transmission isn't as dead as a few Italian automakers would like you to believe. Porsche has declared that as long as there is demand it will continue to supply automobiles with do-it-yourself gearboxes, and the German automaker has outfitted its 2012 911 with a seven-speed manual gearbox. Now it seems General Motors is following suit, and the next-generation Chevrolet Corvette will reportedly offer up seven forward gears, as well.

Inside Line has reported that the 2014 Corvette is set to swap in an extra cog for increased fuel efficiency. As a bonus, this move will allow engineers to play with the lower gear ratios thus providing a bit more speed from the lower end.

Now that Porsche has made the leap to a seven-speed manual and Corvette is following suit, could a cackling, wild-eyed locked-in-the-basement transmission engineer be working on an eight-speed unit? We doubt it, but we're already doing heavy shoulder workouts just in case. Related GalleryReview: 2010 Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport Convertible

Unread 2011-09-26, 05:03 PM   #65
BluBeaSSt

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 100
Likes (Given): 612
Likes (Received): 651
Dislikes (Given): 33
Dislikes (Received): 29

I just hope they keep it V8,RWD
BluBeaSSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2011-09-26, 06:17 PM   #66
hotrodllsc
Force Fed Lincoln

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 20
Likes (Given): 76
Likes (Received): 175
Dislikes (Given): 3
Dislikes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluBeaSSt View Post
I just hope they keep it V8,RWD
That's so last year. I heard it's going to be a 4cyl FWD
Unread 2011-09-26, 06:38 PM   #67
deploytosave
Southern Dandy

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 164
Thanks (Received): 117
Likes (Given): 359
Likes (Received): 780
Dislikes (Given): 12
Dislikes (Received): 21

i am one of the guys who think that the corevette should be american as fuck?

i want a fucking iron block v8 with like 1,000 ftlbs of torque, and just some ungodly ugly ass interior, lots of plastic!

2013 FUKUS ST
deploytosave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2011-09-26, 08:07 PM   #68
turbotuner20v

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 22
Thanks (Received): 83
Likes (Given): 50
Likes (Received): 1009
Dislikes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by deploytosave View Post
i am one of the guys who think that the corevette should be american as fuck?

i want a fucking iron block v8 with like 1,000 ftlbs of torque, and just some ungodly ugly ass interior, lots of plastic!
turbotuner20v is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2011-09-26, 08:24 PM   #69
deploytosave
Southern Dandy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotuner20v View Post

Not srs

2013 FUKUS ST
Unread 2011-09-26, 10:03 PM   #70
titaniumSS

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 67
Thanks (Received): 121
Likes (Given): 677
Likes (Received): 721
Dislikes (Given): 6
Dislikes (Received): 16

I'll sit on a crate as long as the engine rumbles my butt like a massager. git er dun.

titaniumSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2011-09-26, 11:08 PM   #71
deploytosave
Southern Dandy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniumSS View Post
I'll sit on a crate as long as the engine rumbles my butt like a massager. git er dun.
i literally laughed out loud

2013 FUKUS ST
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes titaniumSS liked this post
Unread 2011-09-27, 10:28 AM   #72
Billy Mild

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 115
Thanks (Received): 74
Likes (Given): 2535
Likes (Received): 581
Dislikes (Given): 84
Dislikes (Received): 32

I'm shocked the corvette is going to a 7 speed manual. Supposedly the reason Porsche did it is because they wanted better RPM's while doing High Speed Cruising on the Autobahn. Not sure how true that is.
1991 Corvette ZR-1 #1599 of 2,044 airlid mod
2016 RAM 1500-Roll coal
1986 Yamaha RZ350-blown up
1971 Yamaha AT1c-In the middle of restoration
Billy Mild is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2011-09-27, 10:46 AM   #73
HiLandR
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 149
Thanks (Received): 121
Likes (Given): 828
Likes (Received): 726
Dislikes (Given): 11
Dislikes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buford View Post
Gm needs a supercar and the Corvette aint the answer
Really Bro? The ZR1 IS a supercar!
Unread 2011-11-09, 06:06 PM   #74
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

We're as excited as anyone to see the next-generation Corvette, even if it is still a few years off. But while the C7 'Vette isn't slated to arrive until 2013 as a 2014 model, it hasn't stopped the rumormill from pumping out wild speculation. We've heard everything from a split rear window design to a turbocharged V8 engine, but according to GMInsideNews, it's all a bunch of baloney.

GMI reports that the design of the next Corvette will be more evolutionary than revolutionary. This means that the new car won't feature a standard split window, and the publication's inside sources won't confirm an optional split-window, either. GMI also reports that the rumored 5.5-liter V8 likely won't happen. Instead, word around the Interwebs is that the Corvette's base engine will still be the tried-and-true 6.2-liter V8. To no one's surprise, the mid-engine layout rumor – something that has never been corroborated to begin with – has also been debunked.

But enough of what won't happen: GMI sources do reveal that the design of the C7 'Vette will be European in nature, and the interior will receive a major – and much needed – overhaul. Materials are said to receive a bigtime update, and the Corvette's infotainment system will include a large LCD display in the gauge cluster. Several sources have also claimed that the 2014 Corvette will feature a seven-speed manual transmission for improved fuel economy.

Unread 2011-11-14, 06:42 PM   #75
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Exclusive: This is the 2014 Chevy Corvette

The exclusive images you see here, derived from hours spent secretly poring over the sheetmetal of two seventh-generation Corvettes, show the next step in the supercar's iconic evolution. These aren't photos, but this is absolutely the next-generation Chevy Corvette in ZR1 trim. GM so doesn't want you to see these.
Love it or hate it, the Chevrolet Corvette is an American icon. For most of its 60 years, the 'Vette's shown that a commodity-focused U.S. automaker can confound expectations and compete with the likes of Ferrari and Lamborghini. The seventh-generation Corvette — or C7 Corvette — as fan-boys and GM insiders call it — is designed to further confound those expectations.
These renderings were derived from hours this weekend I (and our designer) spent in secret, poring over the completely uncamouflaged "sheetmetal" of two versions of the next-gen Corvette. With limited time, we decided to, rather than show you the first one, a base level Corvette, we focused our rendering efforts instead on the high-performance ZR1 trim level.
None of our sources were willing to go on the record or allow me to run their name for fear they might lose their jobs. That's also why I'm showing renderings rather than actual photos — I don't care if it might cast doubt on the veracity of the styling — but I didn't want anyone losing their job over this.
That said, we showed these images to three different sources at General Motors — and all three confirmed that the images you see here accurately portray the ZR1 trim level for the seventh-generation Corvette. A fourth source — a non-GM employee — confirmed that the vehicle we show here is one of two Initial Vehicle Engineering Release (IVER) vehicles that's been making the rounds at the Milford Proving Grounds.

View the gallery

The ZR1 trim level is expected to come out later than the base model Corvette — which is slated for a 2014 model year and a reveal at the 2013 Detroit Auto Show. At first glance, you think this is nothing more than an evolutionary change to America's supercar. But give it a second for that initial enormously deceiving glance to dissipate into a double-take. The changes — like the very Camaro-esque rear taillights, the over-exaggerated side vents, and a new window in the rear quarter — will be absolutely polarizing to any Corvette fan-boy. And other items — like a split-rear window, a la the Corvette Stingray, won't make it into production.