Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > Automotive Forums > The Automotive Lounge

Unread 2017-06-26, 12:12 AM   #101
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Can the KIA Stinger take on the BMW 440i Gran Coupe?

It wasn’t too long ago that KIA was looked at as a brand that basically made rental-grade cars for customers. However, the South Korean brand …

It wasn’t too long ago that KIA was looked at as a brand that basically made rental-grade cars for customers. However, the South Korean brand has experience rapid improvement over the past decade and now makes some properly good cars. Its parent company, Hyundai, has brought quite a lot of talent in to help both brands develop some genuinely good cars. One of them is the KIA Stinger and the brand feels that it can seriously take on the BMW 440i Gran Coupe.
If you haven’t heard much about the KIA Stinger , here’s a crash course: It’s a four-door hatchback, much like the BMW 4 Series Gran Coupe, but it’s a bit longer. It’s also rear-wheel drive, comes with a twin-turbocharged 3.3 liter V6 engine that makes 370 hp and has an eight-speed automatic gearbox. It even had chassis and suspension input from Albert Biermann, formerly of BMW M, who’s now in charge of chassis dynamics at Hyundai/KIA. So, on paper, this new KIA can certainly keep up with its Bavarian rival.
In terms of performance, that much is almost true. The KIA is a bit heavy, thanks to being a bit bigger than the 440i GC and lacking any lightweight materials the Bimmer has in its chassis and body. However, its motor still pulls strong so it can hustle from 0-60 mph in 5.1 seconds. The BMW 440i GC does the same spring in 4.9 seconds with only 320 hp. Weight makes a difference.

Top Gear recently tested the new KIA Stinger GT on the Nurburgring and claimed it to be a good, neutral handling car with good body control and accurate steering. Is it the last word in razor-sharpness? No but it’s also KIA’s first attempt at a rear-wheel drive sport sedan..er..hatchback. So the fact that it’s better than decent should be celebrated.

Can it compete with the BMW 440i Gran Coupe? Let’s be realistic, probably not and for a few reasons. BMW has years and years of experience doing this exact sort of car and the 440i is the better driving car. Plus, at this price point, customers want badges, prestige, technology and luxury, all things the 4 Series is a lot better at. However, if KIA can offer this at a good bit cheaper than the 4er, it could be an interesting option for a lot of customers. But I think the important bit is that KIA has genuinely made a good-to-drive rear-wheel drive sport sedan on its first attempt. The more good cars like this on the market, the better off the entire industry is. So I think we should all be rooting for KIA to do well. Competition breeds excellence, even newcomers.

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-06-26, 12:14 AM   #102
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Kia: hotter Stinger not a priority

First, executives want to see how the Stinger performs in key markets around the globe.

It would be relatively easy for Kia to build a more powerful version of the 365-horsepower Stinger, its ambitious BMW 4 Series rival. However, turning the dial up to 11 is not on the company's list of priorities right now.
"The car technically has more potential, no doubt, but at this point there is no plan to do more. We have to launch this car and see how it does in the market place. What kind of customers do we get? What would be their next requirement from Kia?," Albert Biermann, the head of Hyundai and Kia's respective performance divisions, told Australian website Motoring.
That doesn't mean we'll never get a Stinger GTR.
Biermann added he'd like to turn the GT nameplate into a full-blown performance sub-brand like Mercedes-AMG and Audi Sport. Kia isn't exactly synonymous with performance, so executives are cautiously building the brand one step at a time. It could take years to establish the South Korean automaker as a credible name in the cut-throat sports sedan realm.

Kia plans on launching more GT-badged models in the next few years to achieve its goals. And when GT is firmly established as a sub-brand, company executives will re-consider building a faster, more powerful Stinger as its halo model.

Unread 2017-06-26, 04:13 PM   #103
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Kia Stinger Enters The Final Stages Of Development

@media(min-width: 300px) { .example_responsive_5 { width: 336px; height: 280px; text-align: center;} }
Despite making its debut at the 2017 Detroit Auto Show, the Kia Stinger is not quite ready to hit the dealers yet. Proof comes from the South Korean brand itself, who has recently announced that its sports saloon is now entering its final stages of development before going on sale later this year.

The company's test program, which is carried out worldwide both on public roads and tracks, "will ensure the car has the performance, reliability, and dynamic sophistication to match its striking fastback design", says Kia.

Moreover, each prototype will be subjected to a minimum of 10,000 km (~6,200 miles), or nearly 480 laps, around the Nurburgring, which is the equivalent to over 160,000km (62,137 miles) of on-road testing.

"The new Kia GT is a true 'gran turismo', a car for spirited long-distance driving. It’s not about outright power, hard-edged dynamics and brutal styling all at the expense of luxury, comfort and grace", said Kia Europe's Chief Designer, Gregory Guillaume. "The new GT has nothing to do with being the first to arrive at the destination – this car is all about the journey. It’s about passion."

Kia have high expectations when it comes to the Stinger, as it will challenge the likes of the BMW 4-Series Gran Coupe and Audi A5 Sportback.

In the U.S., it will be available with a 255hp and 260lb-ft (352Nm) 2.0-liter turbocharged four and a 3.3-liter V6 making 365hp and 376lb-ft (494Nm) of torque. The latter needs 5.1sec to reach 62mph (100km/h) from a standstill and will max out at 167mph (269km/h).

Unread 2017-06-26, 08:56 PM   #104
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

How it stacks up

Kia Stinger 2.0
BMW 330i GT
BMW 430i GC
Mercedes C-Class
Audi A5 Sportback

Engine
2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder
2.0-liter Twinpower Turbo inline 4-cylinder
2.0-liter Twinpower Turbo inline 4-cylinder
2.0-liter inline-4 turbo
2.0-liter four-cylinder

Engine
255 HP @ 6,200 RPM
248 HP @ 5,200 RPM
248 HP @ 5,200 RPM
241 HP @ 5,550 RPM
248 HP

Torque
260 LB-FT @ 1,400-4,000 RPM
258 LB-FT @ 1,450–4,800 RPM
258 LB-FT @ 1,450–4,800 RPM
273 LB-FT @ 1,300-4,000 RPM
273 LB-FT

Transmission
8-speed automatic
8-speed Sport Automatic
8-speed Sport Automatic
7G-TRONIC 7-speed

Kia Stinger 3.3
BMW 340i GT
BMW 440i GC
Audi S5 Sportback

Engine
3.3L Twin Turbo V6 Lambda II
3.0-liter Twinpower Turbo inline 6-cylinder
3.0-liter Twinpower Turbo inline 6-cylinder
3.0-liter turbocharged V6

Horsepower
365 HP @ 6,000 RPM
320 HP @ 5,500 RPM
320 HP @ 5,500 RPM
354 HP @ 6,400 RPM

Torque
376 LB-FT @ 1,300-4,500 RPM
330 LB-FT @ 1,380–5,000 RPM
330 LB-FT @ 1,380–5,000 RPM
369 LB-FT @ 1,400-4,500 RPM

Transmission
8-speed automatic
8-speed Sport Automatic
8-speed Sport Automatic
8-speed Sport Automatic

Unread 2017-06-26, 11:25 PM   #105
4drTurbo

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 49
Thanks (Received): 44
Likes (Given): 522
Likes (Received): 120
Dislikes (Given): 19
Dislikes (Received): 11

Damn, a 6 speed manual would of been nice.
Unread 2017-06-26, 11:32 PM   #106
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Manuals are a dying object, pretty much all the car manufacturers seem to be dropping them Audi announced as well as BMW

Unread 2017-06-27, 04:18 AM   #107
mild83

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 925
Thanks (Received): 335
Likes (Given): 6331
Likes (Received): 2727
Dislikes (Given): 128
Dislikes (Received): 131

bmw is dropping manuals completely?
mild83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-06-27, 08:36 AM   #108
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

they will be less and less prevalent in the lineup

Unread 2017-06-28, 12:46 PM   #109
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Kia's quickest cruiser | 2018 Kia Stinger GT First Drive

Quote:
Engine
Quote:
3.3L Twin-Turbo V6
<LI class="col-xs-6 col-md-12"> Power
365 HP / 376 LB-FT
<LI class="col-xs-6 col-md-12"> Transmission
8-Speed Auto
<LI class="col-xs-6 col-md-12"> 0-60 Time
4.9 Seconds
<LI class="col-xs-6 col-md-12"> Top Speed
167 MPH
<LI class="col-xs-6 col-md-12"> Drivetrain
AWD; RWD
<LI class="col-xs-6 col-md-12"> Engine Placement
Front
<LI class="col-xs-6 col-md-12"> Curb Weight
3,814 - 3,968 LBS
<LI class="col-xs-6 col-md-12"> Seating
2+3
<LI class="col-xs-6 col-md-12"> MPG
TBD
<LI class="col-xs-6 col-md-12"> Base Price
TBD

The 2018 Kia Stinger is a provocatively named, turbocharged fastback sedan that arrives in America in a few months, and we've just been given a great snapshot of what to expect at Germany's notorious Nürburgring circuit.

While the very final tuning is under way, the late-stage prototypes we drove are "99 percent there," says Albert Biermann, former BMW M chief engineer, now head of engineering for the Hyundai Group. Despite our first experience with the Stinger being at a famously technical track, Biermann and others stressed that the Stinger is very much a grand tourer. To be clear, just about no one will track the Stinger. So why then do we find ourselves in the Eifel region of western Germany? Because Korea's new sports sedan signals a dramatic brand shift for Kia, and the Stinger GT is the first to reflect a new, more performance-oriented direction. Kia at the Nürburgring? If you want to make a point, this is one way to do it.

Arriving this fall, the Stinger will have three powertrain options on offer globally, but only two gas-fueled turbocharged engines for North America. The entry-level Stinger 2.0T is rated at 255 hp and 260 lb-ft, but our impressions are based on the GT, motivated by Kia's brawnier 3.3-liter twin-turbo, good for 365 hp and 376 lb-ft. Peak power arrives at 6,000 rpm, and peak torque between 1,300 and 4,500 rpm. All engines — including the not-for-America 2.2-liter diesel — are mated to an eight-speed automatic transmission with shift paddles. Both rear-wheel drive and AWD configurations will be available.

While the automaker has made some sporty-looking, attractive sedans such as the Optima Turbo, and Cadenza, it wants to "make them drive like they look," says Biermann. Throw the 'Ring's 73 corners, 17 percent incline, and 11 percent decline — all at speed — and you'll learn quite a bit about Kia's newest, very quickly.

So how does the Stinger drive? If this was an exercise to understand the touring aspects of the car, it was lost on us. Lap one of our lead-follow drive on the 'Ring wasted no time in demonstrating this new, more dynamic direction. The pace car in front smashed the throttle and entered the 'Ring at speed, banking hard-left on the first turn. I followed suit, mashing the gas, flying into the first turn, tires screeching, the rear sliding out just a bit despite the GT's AWD.

Immediately I'm surprised by the acceleration. Despite the presence of twin compressors, the Stinger is quite long, and at more than 3,800 pounds, I didn't expect it to be this quick off the line. Then again, the manufacturer quotes a 0-62 mph time of 4.9 seconds, which makes it the quickest Kia ever. Still, after many years of driving Kias, I somehow didn't believe the GT could accelerate like it does.

Turn after turn, I'm almost giddy because the steering is so responsive, and the handling is surprisingly good. One thing I notice is conflicting impressions of the boost: At times it seemingly comes on immediately, and others there's noticeable lag. Because everything is happening so fast out on the notoriously tricky 'Ring, I'm not really able to suss out why. We'll need more time in the car to figure that out.

Getting up to speed is easy, but braking is at least as important. t At one point I see 154 mph on the longest straight, so it's reassuring that the Brembos scrub speed in such a linear way. There's a bit of travel on the pedal, but we're told that the pads and discs have not been changed all day, despite logging hours of duress on the Nürburgring.

Biermann tells us braking is an area Kia's engineers focused on more than on any previous model. "The most important thing is that it's consistent," he says, adding, "I think we achieved that, I'm pleased with it."

The high-performance ventilated Brembo disc brakes –350 mm at the front, 340 mm at the rear –are quad-piston calipers in front, dual-piston rear. The Brembos are standard exclusively on the GT models, 2.0T Stingers will be fitted with an in-house developed setup. It should be noted that while the GTs will come with high-performance Michelin 225/40 R19 and 255/35 R19 on the front and rear, the 2.0T Stingers are fitted with 225/45 R18 Bridgestone tires.

With five driving modes, the suspension utilizing struts up front, and a multilink setup in the rear, one aspect of the GT that we most definitely could gauge was the ride comfort. We were encouraged to drive in Comfort mode, a small barrier against the 'Ring's brutal elevation changes and banking, with the suspension travel really being put to the test. While much of our drive time was indeed in Comfort, we switched into Sport mode as well. At such dramatic speed, it was a little hard to fully gauge the differences. The violence of track — hard acceleration, turning, braking — amplifies some impressions, while making others more nuanced.

What's clear, however, is the GT will be a very capable long-distance cruiser, and significantly, that's a primary selling point. "We were inspired by the grand tourers of the '60s and '70s, Gregory Guillaume, Kia Motors Europe's chief designer, and lead designer on the Stinger told us. The car was made for road trips, with the idea that you could drive all day but still arrive refreshed at your destination. While three laps on the 'Ring – two driving and one as a passenger – didn't exactly leave us "refreshed," it did leave us exhilarated.

And while the first go was in the AWD Stinger, lap two found us in the rear-wheel drive model. While AWD can send up to 50 percent of power up to the front axle if needed via an electronically-controlled clutch, the RWD employs a limited-slip differential on the rear axle, and can shift power between the wheels via brake-torque vectoring.

With a faint acquaintance of the track, we were able to more confidently enter the famous Carousel, and take a few of the turns with a little more confidence. While both models were quite capable, the rear-driver was, as you might expect, a little more fun, and the one we'd want. But if your driving conditions require both axles engaged, you'll still be getting a very fun driver.

With a wheelbase of about 114 inches, the long hood and fastback profile give Stinger good proportions and plenty of gran turismo presence. The tiger-nose grille, sharp LED headlights, and air-intake garnishes up front give the Stinger a well-defined aesthetic. Quad pipes in the rear, and slight diffusers round out a strong appearance.

On the inside you can see clear cues from the German counterparts in the segment, with Burmeister look-alike speakers surrounded by a faux-metallic finish — there's also an available 720-watt, 15-speaker Harmon Kardon surround-sound system — three cylindrical air vents on the center stack, and the 8.0-inch infotainment screen tacked above the dash. But overall the cabin is comfortable, roomy, and attractive. There's plenty of head and legroom in the rear, and despite a high beltline, visibility is good.

While Kia says it's aiming for the Germans, like the Audi A4, BMW 4 Series, or Mercedes-Benz C-Class, you'd also have to consider the Inifiniti Q50 and Lexus IS to be competitors. What buyers actually will cross-shop with remains to be seen, but with the Stinger, Kia is making a deliberate shift into a more premium space.

The 2018 Kia Stinger GT will arrive in America in October, and there's much we still want to assess between now and then. But what's clear is the Stinger will be the most appealing Kia we've seen yet. With striking design, a level of dynamic handling and capability never-before experienced from Korea, and more allure than anything wearing a Kia badge, we're looking forward to getting more time with the Stinger.

Unread 2017-06-28, 12:54 PM   #110
Ricerking13

Post Thanks / Like

Will be intriguing to see if Kia puts up an official Ring time... considering it sounds like they were out there with it a lot.

Again on that write-up... why compare at the 4 series... is the 4 different overseas than here? EDIT: Nvm, I forgot you already told me it's the Gran Coupe
Unread 2017-06-28, 01:00 PM   #111
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah Biermann has said that each variant has been on the ring for at least 20,000.. now not sure if that includes a timed run with their driver.

Yeah we have every 4 series here in the US (thanks for the wonderful naming re-alignment)

Unread 2017-06-28, 01:02 PM   #112
Ricerking13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLM View Post
Yeah Biermann has said that each variant has been on the ring for at least 20,000.. now not sure if that includes a timed run with their driver.

Yeah we have every 4 series here in the US (thanks for the wonderful naming re-alignment)
I just priced out a 440 GC as I'd want it... I'd say the Stinger needs to come in with the big motor and options for $45k or less to have a chance... my 440 GC was right at $52k.
Unread 2017-06-29, 06:04 AM   #113
maynardDRIVESfast

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 40
Thanks (Received): 43
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 269
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 3

Some guy on reddit from overseas drove one that a dealer friend of his had. It was the awd gt and was completely spec'd out. He said the dollar conversion came in at $52k. So I think the rwd model will prob be around $45k. Well I'm hoping anyway, as the rwd is the one I'm interested in.
Unread 2017-06-29, 07:25 AM   #114
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

I have noticed the conversions aren't really 1 for 1 vs overseas pricing

Unread 2017-06-29, 08:12 AM   #115
mild83

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricerking13 View Post
I just priced out a 440 GC as I'd want it... I'd say the Stinger needs to come in with the big motor and options for $45k or less to have a chance... my 440 GC was right at $52k.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maynardDRIVESfast View Post
Some guy on reddit from overseas drove one that a dealer friend of his had. It was the awd gt and was completely spec'd out. He said the dollar conversion came in at $52k. So I think the rwd model will prob be around $45k. Well I'm hoping anyway, as the rwd is the one I'm interested in.
If that's the case, I fear it will be a really tough sell.

I'm not a bimmer guy by any stretch, but if pressed for a 440 vs the Kia, it's a no-brainer, IMO.
Unread 2017-06-29, 08:26 AM   #116
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by mild83 View Post
If that's the case, I fear it will be a really tough sell.

I'm not a bimmer guy by any stretch, but if pressed for a 440 vs the Kia, it's a no-brainer, IMO.
It will slot between the Optima and the K900 price wise

Quote:
Premium V6 $49,900.00 Luxury V6 $54,900.00 Luxury V8 $61,900.00
So there is some room and if the rumors are true hitting 45K for a version would fit this

Found the Optima

An Optima comes with a factory invoice of about $22,000 for an LX model and an MSRP of about $23,000. The LX 1.6T trim level adds about $2,000 to the vehicle's MSRP, while the EX adds about another $1,000.

Last edited by JDLM; 2017-06-29 at 08:40 AM..
Unread 2017-06-29, 10:28 AM   #117
mild83

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLM View Post
It will slot between the Optima and the K900 price wise

So there is some room and if the rumors are true hitting 45K for a version would fit this

Found the Optima

An Optima comes with a factory invoice of about $22,000 for an LX model and an MSRP of about $23,000. The LX 1.6T trim level adds about $2,000 to the vehicle's MSRP, while the EX adds about another $1,000.
I was talking about purchasing over a 440, not another Kia.

And there's acquire a few k900 on autotrader under 50k miles under $30k. Not exactly Toyota resale.
Unread 2017-06-29, 10:36 AM   #118
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

I was just giving the projected price range...don't care about the K900 resale (KIA/Hyundai) said that the Equus/K900 weren't meant to be HUGE sales producing cars, I don't think they set the expectation too high on them.

Unread 2017-07-10, 09:12 AM   #119
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

The New Kia Stinger GT Is Really Good At Getting Sideways And Roasting Tires

The all-new Kia Stinger GT is shaping up to be a serious contender as a legit sports sedan. The Stinger will have similar power and style like the Audi S5 Sportback but come in at a much lower price. By the looks of this video, it seems like the Kia would be more fun too.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly.

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWav-j8RHUI

The Kia Stinger GT will soon hit your local showroom and available with two engines either a 2.0-liter four-cylinder turbo and an available 3.3 liter turbocharged V6 making 365 horsepower. Kia claims the V6 version can hit 60 mph in under five seconds.

The car is currently available in other markets in either rear or all-wheel-drive. The video below looks to be some kind of road test to see how much hoonage you can accomplish in a Kia.

Unread 2017-07-10, 09:21 AM   #120
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

JUN-BL Korea

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v= fqvKHG-Qb3o

Unread 2017-07-10, 09:35 AM   #121
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Cars and Technology

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v= 3tqErx70ASs

Ring POV

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v= u0lDj9HIb64

G80 Sport vs Stinger GT

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAaEmMiUAnc

Unread 2017-07-20, 10:32 PM   #122
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Stinger 3.3 Data 418 horsepower 64 Torque
Baseline 348 horsepower 53 Torque
After 418 horsepower 64 Torque
Chip tuning boosts 70 horsepower 11 Torque
[출처] 스팅어 3.3 "프로스 칩튜닝"|작성자 PROSS

Unread 2017-08-04, 11:28 AM   #123
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNuBrLGESnQ KIA Stinger GT 3.3TT Exhaust by JUN BL

Unread 2017-08-04, 11:32 AM   #124
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

ib4GMnutswingers

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa8IQ-VXiYY

MK7 Golf GTI vs CTS-V vs Stinger GT 3.3 AWD

Unread 2017-08-04, 11:35 AM   #125
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-5LmEVgeeU

KIA Stinger HANS Lan Junfitted Air Suspension