Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > Automotive Forums > The Automotive Lounge

Unread 2017-06-19, 10:20 PM   #76
mild83

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 925
Thanks (Received): 335
Likes (Given): 6333
Likes (Received): 2729
Dislikes (Given): 128
Dislikes (Received): 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLM View Post
easy: 1 exists ..1 doesn't (new)

*based on the fact that Holden stopped SS production
I only mention because the article did.
mild83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-06-20, 11:39 AM   #77
maynardDRIVESfast

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 40
Thanks (Received): 44
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 269
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mild83 View Post
I'd have a hard time picking this over a SS
Said the known gm fanboy.
Unread 2017-06-20, 11:41 AM   #78
mild83

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by maynardDRIVESfast View Post
Said the known gm fanboy.
At a similar price point, you'd go with the Kia?

Gtfo.
Unread 2017-06-20, 11:44 AM   #79
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

there's something about 2 snails

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-06-20, 01:51 PM   #80
Ricerking13

Post Thanks / Like

Love the look... think the price will make me lose interest... but we'll see.
Unread 2017-06-20, 04:35 PM   #81
mild83

Post Thanks / Like

I'd look at it used, possibly. I'd assume it will depreciate hard, being Korean. Could be an awesome used pick up, though.
Unread 2017-06-20, 05:08 PM   #82
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricerking13 View Post
Love the look... think the price will make me lose interest... but we'll see.
They haven't released official pricing yet, still a little off.

Unread 2017-06-20, 06:39 PM   #83
maynardDRIVESfast

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:

Gtfo.
Yeah I would. Aesthetically speaking, I think the interior and exterior of the kia are miles ahead of the SS. The chevy is only up about 50hp, but weighs about 250lbs more.
Unread 2017-06-20, 07:15 PM   #84
jwdb1fish

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 454
Likes (Given): 44
Likes (Received): 3870
Dislikes (Given): 7
Dislikes (Received): 123

Quote:

Gtfo.

Have you driven a new Kia lately?

My wife's old Cadenza wasn't a turd, and PM Whitebird next time you are in town and have him take you for a ride in his wife's K900

The interiors and features are on par or better than GM too.

Just making sure your GM love isn't blind
Unread 2017-06-20, 08:42 PM   #85
mild83

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdb1fish View Post
Have you driven a new Kia lately?

My wife's old Cadenza wasn't a turd, and PM Whitebird next time you are in town and have him take you for a ride in his wife's K900

The interiors and features are on par or better than GM too.

Just making sure your GM love isn't blind
Most recently was a new sonata 2 years ago, put about 4-500 miles on it. It was a basic rental, but it surely was ligtyears ahead of early 2000s models.

Leaving out exterior aesthetics (I do think this Kia is a good looking car), I'd just be more inclined to go with the two extra cylinders.
Unread 2017-06-21, 02:31 PM   #86
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

2018 Kia Stinger GT – What To Expect, Arrival and Pricing

Kia believes that the Stinger can be a next big thing for them, but it is difficult to talk about the future of this model, and only the market will tell. However, the Stinger GT is indeed promising, but launching a four-door saloon aiming to compete against big dogs from Audi, BMW, Mercedes and Alfa, is an audacious but risky step.The new 2018 Kia Stinger GT may be perceived differently by the Europeans because, in other parts of the world, large and expensive Kia saloons such as K900 and Cadenza are already on sale.
The Stinger will definitely make a statement, whatever your perspective is. “We’re done with paddling in the shallow end,” it says, “and we’re tired of playing second fiddle to that bigger sibling brand. We’re a world-class car-making outfit. And anything that Europe can do…”
According to Kia, the new Stinger is a four-door executive ‘gran turismo’ done with style, elegance, and dynamism of a blue-chip European manufacturer. These aren’t just empty words because the prototype of the Stinger GT has been tested on public roads and it has been taken to the Nurburgring track where it had a chance to show off its twin-turbo V6 petrol which produces 370hp. Furthermore, the GT is equipped with adaptively damped chassis, which promises excellent pace and handling, similar to those on an Audi S4 or a BMW 440i.
Source: motortrend.com

Some people will like the 2018 Kia Stinger GT, the others might find it unattractive, but the fact is that this model has better proportions than a regular executive saloon. The GT comes with a long wheelbase, and it is lower and wider in comparison to the European competition. We can say that the Stinger GT has a perfect mix of sporting and refined styling touches.
Unlike the other vehicles in this segment, this Kia’s creation comes with a slightly lower driving position, and this is immediately noticeable once you are seated behind the wheel. Kia has outdone itself with luxurious features in the cabin with a freestanding tablet-like 8-inch infotainment display in the middle. However, not all of the elements are upscale. When it comes to space inside the cabin, the Stinger GT has a decent amount of legroom and cargo capacity, whereas the headroom can be problematic for the passengers in the second row.

The Stinger GT uses a steel platform and a 3.3-liter turbo V6 engine that are both adopted from theHyundai Genesis G80 Coupe, and even though Kia’s new model has a few extra pounds, this unit proved to be a good choice as it is quick and powerful. The powerplant is paired with an eight-speed automatic gearbox which is slightly slower than we expected it to be, but it is still fine.
When Kia produced this vehicle, they didn’t want to go against the most grippy and agile cars in this segment, so they went for a more laid-back and comfortable compromise which definitely makes the Stinger GT suited to long-distance touring, but still engaging and fun to drive. Stinger appears to be a good vehicle to have at the race track because it has a decent grip and solid body control.

2018 Kia Stinger GT Price

The European-sourced performance tires are standard, and they are wrapping 19-inch wheels. Thanks to all this, the 2018 Kia Stinger GT has fine steering weight and mid-corner handling adjustability which distinguishes this model from the other premium-brand cars. This car has yet to live up to its potential, and we cannot wait to sit behind a production version which is supposed to go on sale in January 2018. The starting price of this model will be £42,000. We will definitely see more of the Kia Stinger GT.

Unread 2017-06-21, 03:10 PM   #87
Ricerking13

Post Thanks / Like

First quesiton, why do the ads keep comparing this to a 440? Isn't the target the 3-series? Sedan vs Sedan?

JDLM you think it comes here cheaper than the Euro price at $42k euro?

Looks like the Optima is $25k euro starting in Germany vs $22k starting here. So maybe we get the Stinger for $38k starting? With the big motor, I've gotta assume it's going to be close to $45k.

Have to drive one... but still thinking it's only intriguing used. Leased/New probably pickup an Infiniti Q50 or Caddy ATS.
Unread 2017-06-21, 03:17 PM   #88
mild83

Post Thanks / Like

I guess JDLM didn't like my sonata review, lolz.
Unread 2017-06-21, 03:30 PM   #89
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricerking13 View Post
First quesiton, why do the ads keep comparing this to a 440? Isn't the target the 3-series? Sedan vs Sedan?

JDLM you think it comes here cheaper than the Euro price at $42k euro?

Looks like the Optima is $25k euro starting in Germany vs $22k starting here. So maybe we get the Stinger for $38k starting? With the big motor, I've gotta assume it's going to be close to $45k.

Have to drive one... but still thinking it's only intriguing used. Leased/New probably pickup an Infiniti Q50 or Caddy ATS.
The whole vehicle comparison is odd to me..unless they are going after the Gran Coupe (which makes sense)

I haven't see anything set in stone for the US price wise, the early reports said 3X,XXX was a target goal

I am going to drive one when Justin gets one in esp since Biermann is doing the chassis tuning (former BMW M head) I am intrigued. .I am sure you can get an ATS for a good deal. GM is having issues selling them and they don't know why

Quote:
I guess JDLM didn't like my sonata review, lolz.
too much scrolling ...ooops

Last edited by JDLM; 2017-06-21 at 03:34 PM..
Unread 2017-06-21, 03:50 PM   #90
Ricerking13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
The whole vehicle comparison is odd to me..unless they are going after the Gran Coupe (which makes sense)

I haven't see anything set in stone for the US price wise, the early reports said 3X,XXX was a target goal

I am going to drive one when Justin gets one in esp since Biermann is doing the chassis tuning (former BMW M head) I am intrigued. .I am sure you can get an ATS for a good deal. GM is having issues selling them and they don't know why
Unread 2017-06-22, 01:53 AM   #91
maynardDRIVESfast

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:

Is that Whitehybrid? Do you think you could pm me when he can give you some solid numbers on the Stinger GT? I'd appreciate it.
Unread 2017-06-22, 07:05 AM   #92
jwdb1fish

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Is that Whitehybrid? Do you think you could pm me when he can give you some solid numbers on the Stinger GT? I'd appreciate it.

Take a number and get in line.

Since my family has purchased like 7 cars from Justin I'll assume I'm getting the first test drive

Last edited by jwdb1fish; 2017-06-22 at 07:41 AM..
jwdb1fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-06-22, 07:07 AM   #93
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Fwiw the internet will have them before he does ..he was asking me what I heard

Unread 2017-06-22, 07:11 AM   #94
jwdb1fish

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:

I think he told me October-ish for the first one to hit the lot.

He also said I could find it in his driveway from there
Unread 2017-06-22, 08:37 AM   #95
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah ..no way I would ever buy a 1st model year car ...they need to work kinks out

Unread 2017-06-22, 09:07 AM   #96
polock4life

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 19
Thanks (Received): 33
Likes (Given): 109
Likes (Received): 167
Dislikes (Received): 15

The back end looks like an afterthought from the profile.

To me the Genesis looks better. I do love that these companies are helping increase cool v8 sedans

Last edited by polock4life; 2017-06-22 at 09:14 AM..
polock4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-06-22, 09:46 AM   #97
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

KIA has shot down V8 rumors ..maybe a variant of the V6 will make it or a N badged car (unless Hyundai is just keeping that for them)

Unread 2017-06-22, 09:54 AM   #98
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Why Kia’s new GT is intentionally conservative inside, and why there'll be no Stinger coupe

Kia feared pushing the boundaries of its brand too far if it married the striking liftback exterior of its new Stinger with an avante-garde tech-laden interior.

Instead of computer graphics, the dashboard of the five-door Kia Stinger is notable for its traditional analogue dials and plenty of buttons.
While there is a touch screen at the top of the centre stack there are no tunable panels such as the Benz Widescreen Cockpit. Nor is BMW-style gesture control part of the package.
“The thing was we were conscious what a big step this car was for Kia,” Gregory Guillaume, Kia Motors Europe’s Chief Designer, told motoring.com.au.
Related Articles

“It is not a new type of car, but for us we were thinking for the customers, for the people out there, it’s already going to be a big step to swallow.
“We felt somehow with the interior we needed to put them at ease, not to shock them with some fancy super high-tech thing. And that is why we decided to go with an analogue approach with the interior.”
Guillaume was speaking during a tour of Kia’s European design centre in Frankfurt and shortly after motoring.com.au’s first drive of the flagship Kia Stinger GT at the Nurburgring.
The Kia Stinger range goes on-sale in Australia in September 2017 and has already generated much more interest than any other model Korean company has ever launched here.
The GT is powered by a 3.3-litre twin turbo V6 engine that generates 272kW/510Nm and drives its rear wheels via an eight-speed automatic transmission.
While Kia nominates the 4 Series BMW as the main global rival for the Stinger, in Australia, where the GT will be priced under $55,000 plus on-road costs, it is being seen as a logical replacement for the soon-to-be-defunct Holden Commodore SS.
“We felt we needed to create in the first vehicle we are doing in this segment and this type of vehicle, an environment that a consumer is going to feel instantly at ease with,” Guillaume added.
“On top of accepting it’s a Kia and it’s got 370 horsepower and it’s going to go 270km/h. On top of it a spaceship inside? We felt analogue is the way to go and that’s fine.”
Guillaume also admitted Kia’s designers weren’t all that convinced by the new wave hi-tech interiors anyway, despite the attention they have been receiving.
“We are a company that still uses a lot of buttons. We get a lot of critique sometimes from you guys [media], but we are very careful in implementing fancy stuff that people like to talk about or write about to communicate about it, when actually they are not that beneficial for the user.
“Why put your hands out to make the air-conditioning or the volume go up when you can just do that [turns an imaginary dial]?
“I am not sure it is the best way. But everyone talks about it; it’s great; marketing is happy. But I am not sure it is the best way for users.”
However, Guillaume conceded Kia might be fighting a rearguard action when it comes to analogue instrumentation.
“Maybe for the next generation Stinger when it [high-tech instrumentation] is an established thing, then maybe it will be the right time to go a bit further with things like that.”
Guillaume’s reference to a “next generation Stinger” was one of his very few acknowledgements Kia is even thinking beyond the launch phase of this car.
However, he did play down the chances of a coupe Stinger being developed: “Two-doors have one very big problem; very small volumes. We are still a brand that wants to make money with our cars.
“We don’t like to do some cars knowing that we won’t be selling many.”
But he was evasive when asked about a wagon: “I have heard that question a lot.”
On a higher-performance version: “You can always do a bit more.”
Then when asked about taking the Stinger to the “next level” he said: “I have a rough idea, but I can’t really share it with you.”

Unread 2017-06-23, 02:40 PM   #99
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

No Stinger GTR… yet

But Kia’s performance boss keen to boost new flagship and add more GTs

Technically, the hotly-anticipated Kia Stinger GT can be developed into an even higher state of tune.
But unfortunately, despite persistent industry rumours to the contrary, Albert Biermann, the former BMW M boss who has been Hyundai-Kia’s performance chief since early 2015, insisted there was no current plan for a “stronger Stinger” or a “GTR” version.

Biermann was speaking at the global launch drive of the 272kW/510Nm 3.3-litre V6 twin-turbo Stinger flagship at the Nurburgring in Germany where motoring.com.au sampled both the rear-wheel drive version which is coming to Australia and the all-wheel drive which has been ruled out.
The Stinger goes on-sale in Australia in September and is seen by many people as the spiritual successor to the locally-developed Holden Commodore SS, which goes out of production in October. Internationally, the smaller BMW 4 Series has been listed as its most obvious competitor.

“The car technically has more potential no doubt, but at this point there is no plan to do more,” Biermann told motoring.com.au.
“We have to launch this car and see how it does in the market place. What kind of customers do we get? What would be their next requirement from Kia?
“I think first we need to establish some sort of customer base of these kinds of cars and then maybe next steps can happen. But we need to do this carefully. Step by step.
“Right now there is no plan to make a stronger Stinger or something like that, there is nothing like that out there.”
Biermann also acknowledged the ability to expand the GT range, currently the Kia performance peak model, and then go beyond it.

In Australia, only the Kia Optima currently gets the GT badge, but a Picanto GT is expected before the end of the year and the next Cerato – due in 2018 – is likely to have a GT flagship.
“I like the more sporty cars with the more sport character and I see the potential of more Kia cars than now can have the GT driving character in the future,” Biermann said.
“I would obviously support market requests for more GT in Kia cars because I think they would strengthen the brand a lot.
“At a later stage, when the GT is more established into a stronger sub-label within Kia, then maybe at some point we need a GTR or something,” he added. “But for now there is nothing going on.”

Kia also used the Nurburgring event to reveal further technical detail about the Stinger, including the testing conducted at the legendary 20.8km circuit.
The Korean giant says each development car has been put through a minimum 10,000km, or 480 laps, of the race track. It claims the stresses produced are equivalent to over 160,000km of on-road testing.
Testing at the German circuit played a key role in developing the Stinger’s passive and active suspension systems. While all cars ride on the same MacPherson strut front and multi-link rear fundamentals, the GT is offered with Dynamic Stability Damping Control (DSDC) for its shock absorbers.
These dampers can be set to either ‘standard’ or ‘sport’ modes, as can the rack-mounted motor-driven power steering system.
Australia gets its own suspension and steering tune, developed under the guidance of consultant engineer Graeme Gambold. It’s the first time the local program has worked with active dampers.

The Nurburgring also revealed a need for a larger oil cooler for the Stinger’s eight-speed automatic transmission.
Beyond the Nurburgring, over 1.1 million km of durability testing was carried out around the world, including Europe, the Middle East and North and South America.
Kia’s development team went to the Großglockner High Alpine Road in the Austrian Alps for constant downhill brake testing of the Stinger, which features Brembo brakes in the V6 models. Four-piston calipers up-front, working on holed and grooved 350mm disc rotors were designed to retain stopping power and feel at temperatures above 800-deg C.
The liftback body’s development also required close co-operation between designers and engineers to achieve aerodynamic optimisation.

Tweaks introduced to the car included tapering the bodywork slightly toward the rear and the introduction of new gills behind the front wheel arches to reduce wake turbulence across the car’s flanks.
A partially-flat underfloor cover reduces drag, while a slight ducktail for the rear spoiler was designed to reduce lift and increase high-speed stability. Larger horizontal cooling ducts up-front improve brake cooling and air inlets were shaped to reduce front-end lift. Reducing the height of the rear of the roof improved aerodynamic efficiency.
Despite all that work, Kia hasn’t revealed a coefficient of drag figure for the Stinger. Nor has it announced fuel consumption numbers or kerb weights (thought to spread between about 1650kg and 1800kg).
Kia is also spruiking Stinger’s synthesised sound system which changes note as the engine’s character changes through different modes. Sadly, the result is disappointing enough that a bi-model exhaust is being developed locally as an option.

Biermann said he joined the Hyundai-Kia group early enough to have an influence on the Stinger, which is based on the same architecture as the forthcoming Genesis G70.
“When I joined we just got the first make-up prototype cars that were based on the Genesis coupe and the new platform was underneath,” Biermann recalled.

“I worked together with my engineers on that first set of hardware and then we made some changes to the rear axle kinematics and changed some control arm positions
“Later we changed the whole philosophy of elasto-kinematics more into precision and less for isolation.
“I am happy with what we got. The substance of the platform, the stiffness. Although this car is bigger and it has a longer wheelbase, the torsional stiffness of this car is on the same level as smaller competitors.
“It’s all there. We added some reinforcing struts to the rear axle area, but with the substance of our cars I can say, like the rear wheel drive platform … those are really strong very robust structures.”

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes 4drTurbo liked this post
Unread 2017-06-24, 03:45 PM   #100
Albatross

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 100
Thanks (Received): 189
Likes (Given): 276
Likes (Received): 1330
Dislikes (Received): 71

Quote:
Kia will allocate most of their stock to me first, just like with the K900.

Control the region, control the cars.

As soon as I get one in I'll let everyone know that wants to come look at it.

FWIW the values of the K900's are holding pretty well considering the residuals on their leases. I'm going to assume the same will hold true with the Stinger.
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote