Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > Automotive Forums > The Automotive Lounge

Unread 2017-01-09, 06:32 PM   #26
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, just have to be able to prove its worth and go from there

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-01-09, 07:04 PM   #27
Mike V

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 40
Thanks (Received): 80
Likes (Given): 412
Likes (Received): 401
Dislikes (Given): 2
Dislikes (Received): 10

I like the blue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idh0ktrSyD8

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly.

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idh0ktrSyD8

Last edited by Mike V; 2017-01-09 at 07:17 PM..
Mike V is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-01-09, 07:05 PM   #28
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

It is being compared to the Lexus GS (size wise)

Quote:
Inspiring the comparison, the Stinger has rather similar dimensions to the GS, being about 2 inches shorter and a little wider, yet riding on a 2-inch longer wheelbase. The automaker itself invites comparisons with an assortment of import competitors, from the Lexus IS to the BMW 4 Series. Ultimately, the shopper may be deciding between the upscale Kia K900 and something a bit more entertaining with the Stinger.

Last edited by JDLM; 2017-01-09 at 07:10 PM..
Unread 2017-01-09, 08:12 PM   #29
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Peter Schreyer on Kia Stinger Development: “Nobody Said No”

52 Photos

We Interview Kia's Peter Schreyer About Design Challenges and Early Autobahn Testing

Prior to the debut of the Kia Stinger GT at the 2017 North American International Auto Show, Motor Trend was invited to Korea for an exclusive deep dive on the vehicle and meetings with several key executives. Motor Trend was the only U.S. automotive media outlet invited, and we met with Peter Schreyer, president and chief design officer for Kia Motors Corporation.
Motor Trend: What was the biggest challenge for you in bringing Stinger to market?
Peter Schreyer: I think the biggest challenge, actually, was bringing it to market [laughs].
MT: Why?

52 Photos
PS: It was born as the concept car, and it would have been the first Kia with this kind of layout for all markets. We do have a rear-wheel drive, the big sedan, what you call the K900 in America. But to not just make a normal sedan, but to make a sport sedan like this is, in a way, a challenge to Koreans. But it was great the way it went because it kept going, and nobody said no. When we had the first model review, every presentation in here with our top management, they’re walking over, had such a smile on their face. They were so—from the beginning on—they were totally proud of it. They also gave everything to make it pop. You know what I mean? To make the decision, the calculation, and all that, and their smiles even got, how do you say, wider when they saw this one [gesturing at the Stinger GT], which is the GT version. We gave it a red color, and they always were just talking about the red car from then on.
And then there were some challenges also in production: the interior … to get that right … how far the C-pillar is inboard, you get a lot of shoulder … to really get all that right, from the interior packaging to the stamping depths and all this … to just get it there was quite the challenge, actually. But we got it.
MT: What design elements did you have to fight for the most, do you think?
PS: I don’t know. I don’t know which was more or less, but these are the elements that we constantly discuss and try to get through.

MT: What is your favorite feature? What’s the single most exciting thing for you that you’re most proud of in this vehicle?
PS: What do you want to hear [laughs]? Because everybody that asks that question, I could name another one for everyone. For me, it’s the whole thing. The interior, the exterior together, it’s a fantastic proportion. It’s not any one thing.
MT: Fair enough. Where did the name come from?
PS: Actually the name comes from the GT4 Stinger [a Kia concept that made its debut at the 2014 NAIAS]. It inherited the name from that one. Therefore, for me and Gregory [Guillaume, head of design for Kia Motors Europe] it was the GT from the beginning because it is a GT.

MT: What is it like to drive?
PS: Super. Really good. I hope you have the same impression. We did a test drive with other performance cars at the Nürburgring, and I also took it on the street—not the ’Ring. It was on winding country roads, and was really nice. And then there was a piece of autobahn, for 15 kilometers or so back and forth. I don’t know why, but there was practically no one on that road, and you could go full speed.
MT: How fast did you go?
PS: I can’t remember, 270 [kph, approximately 167 mph] or something like that, and even with all the camouflage on, it was still planted, like running on rails—really good.
I think it’s good that we have Albert Biermann [former head of BMW M division] here to set up the cars, and he puts a lot of enthusiasm in there, as well. That’s the advantage of the test center there, at the Nürburgring, where they do the set up for the cars. It’s pretty cool.

Unread 2017-01-10, 05:59 AM   #30
maynardDRIVESfast

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 40
Thanks (Received): 44
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 269
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mild83 View Post
Yep, at $50k+ for a fully loaded AWD model, while it packs a lot of the right stuff, it's still a nice chunk of change.
Werd. Realistically, if they want this to sell, they'll need to undercut the 3 series price by $5k or more. I'd seriously consider it if it was in the low $40k range.
Unread 2017-01-10, 06:47 AM   #31
mild83

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 925
Thanks (Received): 335
Likes (Given): 6333
Likes (Received): 2729
Dislikes (Given): 128
Dislikes (Received): 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by maynardDRIVESfast View Post
Werd. Realistically, if they want this to sell, they'll need to undercut the 3 series price by $5k or more. I'd seriously consider it if it was in the low $40k range.
Exactly.

Even if the car is a great machine, performs beyond expectations, etc., it will still have a hard time selling against the cars it competes with at that price.

Thin the margins to get the product out there, imo.
mild83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-01-10, 09:49 AM   #32
Wallace

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 113
Likes (Given): 252
Likes (Received): 895
Dislikes (Given): 9
Dislikes (Received): 21

I'm not sure what this is supposed to compete with. I like the idea but the styling needs a little help. Still too expensive IMO to really compete with anything with a reputation.
Wallace is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-01-10, 10:07 AM   #33
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 257
Likes (Given): 61
Likes (Received): 1932
Dislikes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLM View Post
It is being compared to the Lexus GS (size wise)
Damn that's approaching boat size!

BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-01-10, 10:17 AM   #34
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
I'm not sure what this is supposed to compete with. I like the idea but the styling needs a little help. Still too expensive IMO to really compete with anything with a reputation.
It's meant to compete clearly with the BMWs, Audis, and Mercedes at a much lower price point.

For the person that can't afford a brand new 5 series or the maintenance on a used one, this can become a viable option.

Unread 2017-01-10, 10:46 AM   #35
Wallace

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyLee View Post
It's meant to compete clearly with the BMWs, Audis, and Mercedes at a much lower price point.

For the person that can't afford a brand new 5 series or the maintenance on a used one, this can become a viable option.
So the 5-series, E class, A6? I could see that working. Definitely too expensive to compete with the smaller sedans.
Unread 2017-01-10, 11:43 AM   #36
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
So the 5-series, E class, A6? I could see that working. Definitely too expensive to compete with the smaller sedans.
By size alone it's not designed to compete with smaller sedans. That's why Kia has the Forte.

Unread 2017-01-10, 12:05 PM   #37
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

KIA slotted it to sit between the Cadenza and K900 (below those are the optima) and so forth down the lineup

Unread 2017-01-10, 04:25 PM   #38
Albatross

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 100
Thanks (Received): 189
Likes (Given): 276
Likes (Received): 1330
Dislikes (Received): 71

Quote:
KIA slotted it to sit between the Cadenza and K900 (below those are the optima) and so forth down the lineup
That grey with the red interior.

Of course I love it. As soon as I get one in I'll post about it more.
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-01-10, 04:35 PM   #39
Albatross

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 100
Thanks (Received): 189
Likes (Given): 276
Likes (Received): 1330
Dislikes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by maynardDRIVESfast View Post
I bet market will put it on par with the G80 in terms of price. Not sure what the rebates will be, but if its going to be loaded out in the 50k range, assume with rebates it will dip back down in the the ~40's depending on the factory incentives.
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-01-10, 07:48 PM   #40
V-dubbin

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 123
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 804
Likes (Received): 513
Dislikes (Given): 56
Dislikes (Received): 254

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos64030 View Post
Looks a lot better than any of the current BMW or Audi offerings IMO.
This is the most ignorant thing I've read all week.
V-dubbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-01-10, 08:37 PM   #41
mild83

Post Thanks / Like

I'd go inifiti all day over Kia at that price point
Unread 2017-01-10, 08:59 PM   #42
jwdb1fish

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 454
Likes (Given): 44
Likes (Received): 3870
Dislikes (Given): 7
Dislikes (Received): 123

Quote:
I'd go inifiti all day over Kia at that price point

Is that due to the name, or would you at least drive the Kia first to compare?
Unread 2017-01-10, 09:01 PM   #43
mild83

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdb1fish View Post
Is that due to the name, or would you at least drive the Kia first to compare?
I'd compare both, but I'd realistically think about the resale.
Unread 2017-01-10, 09:35 PM   #44
jwdb1fish

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 454
Likes (Given): 44
Likes (Received): 3870
Dislikes (Given): 7
Dislikes (Received): 123

Quote:
I'd compare both, but I'd realistically think about the resale.

I thought about it some more. I was wrong. That Cadenza we had was a '14, and we traded it in for a loaded '15 Forte coup.

We had the Cadenza for about 10 months, and didn't lose our ass on the trade in value. But Albatross/Justin would have to chime in on how much of that deal was friend based.

We did buy both cars used, and neither had more than 10K miles when purchased, so we did have that advantage on the purchase prices.
Unread 2017-01-10, 09:49 PM   #45
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-dubbin View Post
This is the most ignorant thing I've read all week.
Why? You do know that KIA is outperforming a lot of the German brands ..hence the expansion

Unread 2017-01-10, 11:33 PM   #46
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfWjAJTiJ3E

Unread 2017-01-10, 11:37 PM   #47
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6__YsJVBYg

Unread 2017-01-10, 11:45 PM   #48
Wallace

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Why? You do know that KIA is outperforming a lot of the German brands ..hence the expansion
He said looks. Has nothing to do with performance.
Unread 2017-01-11, 12:03 AM   #49
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
He said looks. Has nothing to do with performance.
guess I should not have said "outperforming" and used another phrase, I think Peter Schreyer and his team have done a lot (for both KIA and Hyundai) to make them not "blend in" with others

Unread 2017-01-11, 09:53 PM   #50
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Kia could be cooking up an even hotter version of the Stinger

Kia made quite the splash at the Detroit auto show when it pulled the wraps off its new Stinger sedan. The shapely four door has coupe-like lines, packs a pair of turbocharged engines, and offers the choice of rear- or all-wheel drive. It seems that you'll be able to explore even more choices with the Stinger in the not-too-distant future.
Our favorite? An even hotter version than the 365-horsepower twin-turbocharged V-6 model we already saw at the show.
This is all based on a story from Autocar that shared a bit news regarding a handful of powertrain options that are being examined for future versions of the Stinger.
Buried at the bottom of the piece is the prospect of more focused version of the Stinger.
We reached out to a U.S. Kia spokesperson. While there are no current plans for such a model, given that the Stinger program is headed up by former BMW M Division boss Albert Biermann, the Kia rep said a higher performance model would make sense.
A hotter Stinger may not get a different engine than the twin-turbo 3.3-liter V-6. It could be the same engine in a slightly higher state of tune, perhaps up to 400 horses, or it could get the same engine with sport and performance extras like a body kit, stickier tires, and sportier suspension settings. It could be both. We'll have to wait to find out, but we would really love it if Mr. Biermann would take the Stinger all the way up to a BMW M3 competitor.
The Autocar story also says that a diesel variant is coming soon. Kia has a 2.2-liter turbodiesel that's dubbed the CRDi engine. It currently produces 197 horsepower and a rather impressive 325 pound-feet of torque. That mill is an option in both the Kia Sorento and the Hyundai Santa Fe. It isn't offered here in the States, obviously, as we're currently allergic to diesel thanks to Volkswagen. Our insider says Kia has no plans to bring the diesel to the U.S.
Kia is exploring other more electrifying possibilities. The Stinger, despite offering a longitudinal engine layout, can share components with the Optima, including the hybrid and plug-in hybrid bits. “We can utilize the currently available hybrid and plug-in hybrid technology,” Kia's overseas marketing boss Spencer Cho told Autocar. “Stinger will be able to benefit from those technologies.”
Kia also appears to be exploring the idea of a fully electric version. Our Kia rep acknowledges that the industry is well on the road to electrification, but says there are no plans to electrify the Stinger---hybrid, plug-in, or EV--in the near term.
For now, all we really know is that in addition to the 365-hp V-6, we will also get a 255-horsepower turbocharged 2.0-liter 4-cylinder at launch. The Stinger goes on sale late this year as a 2018 model.