Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Business, Finance

Unread 2015-11-09, 10:39 AM   #1
EA
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 143
Likes (Given): 38
Likes (Received): 678
Dislikes (Given): 2
Dislikes (Received): 6
Default TAX issue from 2012, need some help

Ok,

So never have I had a tax issue in my life, then all the sudden the IRS claims I owe a boat load more from 2012. (like 3 times the number I can even come up with)

I love how they send a letter, that literally has ZERO information as to HOW they come up with this number, and just basically says "pay this amount".

I have tried calling the number, to see if I can get anymore information it with no luck.

I have no issues paying it, IF someone can actually explain to me whats going on.
However, I have a feeling its an error in how much percentage of ownership I had in a company.

Anyone know anyone I can talk to about this.
(And if I have to pay for there service, I understand)

Thanks in advance,
Erik

Viper GTS "No Bad Days"
Mercedes E-class "Hybrid Killer"
Mercedes E-wagon "Unicorn"
Mustang GT "Corner Carver"
Mustang GT "True Street 10.5"
Cadillac Coupe "The Mattress"
GMC Sierra "Slammed Hauler"
Honda CR250R "Woods Weapon"

-- I need to sell some cars
EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2015-11-09, 10:49 AM   #2
mild83

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 910
Thanks (Received): 330
Likes (Given): 6277
Likes (Received): 2704
Dislikes (Given): 128
Dislikes (Received): 129

Effing gestapo IRS.

Good luck bro.
mild83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 2015-11-09, 11:21 AM   #3
DIYAutoRepair
**Sponsor**

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 25
Thanks (Received): 192
Likes (Given): 71
Likes (Received): 1301
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 25

I wish I could help but it seems that all government agencies follow the same method when demanding money. No information just the demand that you pay it. When trying to call you are on hold for ever and can never seem to get the right person to answer your questions.

After you spend days trying to sort it out and they agree that they made an error, you get the correction letter a week later apologizing for the error with a demand for the corrected amount which is now MORE than the original amount.

Been there done that.
Visit us at http://diyautorepairkc.com/
or call (913) 226-3806

Favorite car from the past (73 Pinto)
DIYAutoRepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2015-11-09, 11:52 AM   #4
EA
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYAutoRepair View Post
I wish I could help but it seems that all government agencies follow the same method when demanding money. No information just the demand that you pay it. When trying to call you are on hold for ever and can never seem to get the right person to answer your questions.

After you spend days trying to sort it out and they agree that they made an error, you get the correction letter a week later apologizing for the error with a demand for the corrected amount which is now MORE than the original amount.

Been there done that.
I know,

Like I said, I have no issues paying it, with some justification.

Because I have tried to come up with how I could have messed up, but haven't been able to figure it out at all. (Unless I change my ownership percentage in a company I co-owned)

Viper GTS "No Bad Days"

Unread 2015-11-09, 12:42 PM   #5
TAILWAG

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 198
Thanks (Received): 127
Likes (Given): 352
Likes (Received): 771
Dislikes (Given): 29
Dislikes (Received): 10

The IRS has an office downtown. It might be better for you to go down there and seek assistance from an actual individual. One surely has been assigned to the case, especially if the figure is large.

You might get it cleared up a lot quicker that way. One of my ex-girlfriends had a similar issue when she had her own business. She just went down there and in 2 hours, had everything resolved to her satisfaction.
TAILWAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2015-11-09, 12:42 PM   #6
69Mach351

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 261
Thanks (Received): 231
Likes (Given): 1780
Likes (Received): 1700
Dislikes (Given): 37
Dislikes (Received): 44

Guessing you do your own taxes? Have you recently amended a past return?

I had to amend one that was 2 years or so old. It took about 6 months to get a letter saying I owed more than I had paid. It wasn't a lot, but I ran it by my accountant (who said it was likely legit with the amended return) and my attorney who said to pay it rather than fight it since it was a small amount. But then again, I let those guys handle everything.
69Mach351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2015-11-09, 12:48 PM   #7
Solomon

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 31
Likes (Given): 284
Likes (Received): 196
Dislikes (Given): 6
Dislikes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAILWAG View Post
The IRS has an office downtown. It might be better for you to go down there and seek assistance from an actual individual. One surely has been assigned to the case, especially if the figure is large.

You might get it cleared up a lot quicker that way. One of my ex-girlfriends had a similar issue when she had her own business. She just went down there and in 2 hours, had everything resolved to her satisfaction.
I would agree with this. The folks offices are usually very helpful.
Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2015-11-09, 01:47 PM   #8
ForcFed93

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 93
Likes (Given): 331
Likes (Received): 656
Dislikes (Received): 29

I had a buddy that had this happen to him. He sent a reply letter stating he would like a detailed breakdown of the charges. It was like $27,000, or something ridiculous. They replied stating that it was a decimal point error and that it was actually like $27. He wrote them a check and called it a day.
ForcFed93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2015-11-09, 03:37 PM   #9
sleek98

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 185
Likes (Received): 201
Dislikes (Given): 6
Dislikes (Received): 4

EA, you can PM me with questions if you want.

What type of notice did they send, in the upper right hand corner it will have a tax notice number and some letters, like CP2000?

If it has AUR up there, if so there is no person assigned to your return and you just have to deal with whoever picks up the phone.

I am a CPA and if you want to send over a pdf copy of the notice I can send you my email. They typically tell you the adjustments they are making but not usually in enough detail.
sleek98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2015-11-10, 11:11 AM   #10
EA
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAILWAG View Post

Ok, that might help.
I saw something about that online, but thought it stated somewhere "DO NOT COME HERE"
But hey, I will check into it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Mach351 View Post
Guessing you do your own taxes? Have you recently amended a past return?

I had to amend one that was 2 years or so old. It took about 6 months to get a letter saying I owed more than I had paid. It wasn't a lot, but I ran it by my accountant (who said it was likely legit with the amended return) and my attorney who said to pay it rather than fight it since it was a small amount. But then again, I let those guys handle everything.
I do my own, have for years, all has been well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForcFed93 View Post
I had a buddy that had this happen to him. He sent a reply letter stating he would like a detailed breakdown of the charges. It was like $27,000, or something ridiculous. They replied stating that it was a decimal point error and that it was actually like $27. He wrote them a check and called it a day.
I wish that was the deal, but by the number its something specific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleek98 View Post
EA, you can PM me with questions if you want.

What type of notice did they send, in the upper right hand corner it will have a tax notice number and some letters, like CP2000?

If it has AUR up there, if so there is no person assigned to your return and you just have to deal with whoever picks up the phone.

I am a CPA and if you want to send over a pdf copy of the notice I can send you my email. They typically tell you the adjustments they are making but not usually in enough detail.
I will do this, and as stated I just need to know someone that is familiar enough to make sure that when I do write this check, its for the correct reasons.

If it was a small amount, it would be one thing.
But its large enough that well, its a tough pill to swallow.

Viper GTS "No Bad Days"