Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > Automotive Forums > The Automotive Lounge

Unread 2016-09-16, 08:50 AM   #51
Karlen

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 887
Thanks (Received): 481
Likes (Given): 4077
Likes (Received): 4362
Dislikes (Given): 99
Dislikes (Received): 166

Ever since my 3rd knee replacement, I just don't feel like driving a stick anymore - every Corvette owner
Unread 2016-09-16, 09:12 AM   #52
Wallace

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 113
Likes (Given): 252
Likes (Received): 895
Dislikes (Given): 9
Dislikes (Received): 21

I guess I don't see the difference between pushing a button to shift gears or manually shifting gears. You are still controlling when gears change.
Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2016-09-16, 09:21 AM   #53
Karlen

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 887
Thanks (Received): 481
Likes (Given): 4077
Likes (Received): 4362
Dislikes (Given): 99
Dislikes (Received): 166

You ever owned a manual?
Karlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2016-09-16, 09:22 AM   #54
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 202
Thanks (Received): 245
Likes (Given): 2439
Likes (Received): 1631
Dislikes (Given): 24
Dislikes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
I guess I don't see the difference between pushing a button to shift gears or manually shifting gears. You are still controlling when gears change.
You can do fun things with a clutch that you can't do with an automatic or DCT. Also, there's something more... intimate? about driving stick.
Keboh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2016-09-16, 09:30 AM   #55
Corners

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 107
Thanks (Received): 184
Likes (Given): 519
Likes (Received): 1123

Quote:
Because you're not shifting. Pushing a button just tells the car when to shift, if the car allows the shift. The actual shift is not done by a human. That part of driving has been removed. It's partial autonomous driving.
"We must love each other, show affection for each other and unite together in condemnation of hatred, bigotry and violence. We must rediscover the bonds of love and loyalty that bring us together as Americans" - President Trump
Corners is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2016-09-16, 09:54 AM   #56
69Mach351

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 261
Thanks (Received): 231
Likes (Given): 1780
Likes (Received): 1700
Dislikes (Given): 37
Dislikes (Received): 44

It purely depends on what I want in a car. If I want to have some fun driving, I prefer a manual. If I want to go as fast as possible, especially drag racing - automatic all the way. The newer autos can shift faster than I could ever dream of doing.
69Mach351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2016-09-16, 10:08 AM   #57
BMc

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 25
Likes (Received): 100
Dislikes (Given): 2
Dislikes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keboh View Post
You can do fun things with a clutch that you can't do with an automatic or DCT. Also, there's something more... intimate? about driving stick.
There are days I miss a manual. Especially when taking a corner and you're the only one around. A little rev/clutch stab to break the rear tires loose for a little power slide. Mmmmm, that'll make anyone smile.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Keboh liked this post
BMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2016-09-16, 10:14 AM   #58
Billy Mild

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 114
Thanks (Received): 73
Likes (Given): 2510
Likes (Received): 578
Dislikes (Given): 83
Dislikes (Received): 32

#lt5
1991 Corvette ZR-1 #1599 of 2,044 airlid mod
2016 RAM 1500-Roll coal
1986 Yamaha RZ350-blown up
1971 Yamaha AT1c-In the middle of restoration
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes mild83 liked this post
Billy Mild is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2016-09-16, 10:29 AM   #59
jwdb1fish

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 450
Likes (Given): 41
Likes (Received): 3841
Dislikes (Given): 7
Dislikes (Received): 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Mach351 View Post
It purely depends on what I want in a car. If I want to have some fun driving, I prefer a manual. If I want to go as fast as possible, especially drag racing - automatic all the way. The newer autos can shift faster than I could ever dream of doing.

If I want to be quicker, I'll add more power.

Drag racing an auto is great for consistency and braket racing and such.

Nothing beats rowing the gears and a no-lift shift!
Unread 2016-09-16, 02:06 PM   #60
69Mach351

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 261
Thanks (Received): 231
Likes (Given): 1780
Likes (Received): 1700
Dislikes (Given): 37
Dislikes (Received): 44

I wasn't as big of a fan of autos until I put a good size stall converter in one. That makes them a fucking blast.
69Mach351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2016-09-16, 02:36 PM   #61
Dave B

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 132
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 998
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 63

Quote:
I've had both paddles and manuals. I much prefer manuals and there is a huge difference in the way the cars drive. IMO, you can't replace that connection of sliding the tranny into gear, rowing the gears, and ripping on it and feeling all the torque shift, especially if you're driving a quality manual with a direct connection (i.e., not cable-driven shifters).

Yes, today's automatics are faster/quicker than the manuals. If I had a track only car, I'd get the auto for sure. A street car that might see some track fun, manual EVERYDAY. However, get on most any automotive forum and take note of how many guys wished they got the manual and how hardly anyone wishes they got the automatic.

Also, when people see a Camaro, Mustang, Vette, Porsche, Lambo, etc., and look in the interior they see a manual, they're like "Fuck yeah!". When they see an automatic, the response is usually, "Oh. Ok.".

Like JWD said, if I want to go quicker/faster, I'll add power.

I can't help but think another reason automakers aren't doing manuals anymore is to reduce the potential for warranty repairs associated with manuals and to maintain more control of the car to keep the driver from doing stupid things like money shifts. Having only automatics available greatly reduces overhead costs for development plus they've got way more control and manipulating power if motor/tranny temps get too high, etc. It's not all about Ring times.

Last edited by Dave B; 2016-09-16 at 02:40 PM..
Dave B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2016-09-16, 03:38 PM   #62
Nightmare302

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 130
Dislikes (Received): 2

Anyone who says... "I'll add more power to go faster" aren't fast. At the drag strip an auto will solidly out perform manual trans by a large large margin on high horsepower vehicles. I'm talking over half a second. You'd have to add insane amounts of power to compete with that.

Manuals are for sub 600rwhp cars that are used outside of drag racing for fun spirited driving on all courses be it drag or open track.

I love a manual trans car, one of my Cobra's is a manual and I love it. The other has a th400, for the sole goal of going faster. Manual's impress old men and girls in highschool, auto's win races.

nosupernova: i went to talk to her and be nice and she kept insulting me to my face so i burnt her w a chi iron
Nightmare302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2016-09-16, 04:25 PM   #63
Dave B

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare302 View Post
Anyone who says... "I'll add more power to go faster" aren't fast. At the drag strip an auto will solidly out perform manual trans by a large large margin on high horsepower vehicles. I'm talking over half a second. You'd have to add insane amounts of power to compete with that.

Manuals are for sub 600rwhp cars that are used outside of drag racing for fun spirited driving on all courses be it drag or open track.

I love a manual trans car, one of my Cobra's is a manual and I love it. The other has a th400, for the sole goal of going faster. Manual's impress old men and girls in highschool, auto's win races.
Like I said, if you're racing competitively, automatics are the way to go. Driving enjoyment? Manual every time. When I was shopping for M235s, dealers only stocked automatics (with that stellar ZF 8AT) so that's all I could drive. Then my ordered 6MT showed up. They're like two completely different cars. The 8AT is really good at what it does and there's a correct gear for every situation. There's no thinking, no skill, no foot work. Just mash it and let it do its thing or you can manage the shifts. I get why guys are amazed when they drive a well sorted automatic/DCT. But read the forums and talk to the owners. The excitement wears off and the cars get boring more so than those that bought the manuals. You constantly read on the BMW/Audi/VW forums about guys ordering new cars and getting the manual "this go around" because the DCT/DSG/8AT just got boring after some time.
Unread 2016-09-16, 04:26 PM   #64
jwdb1fish

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 450
Likes (Given): 41
Likes (Received): 3841
Dislikes (Given): 7
Dislikes (Received): 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare302 View Post

TIL you need to add insane amounts of power to make up a half second of ET.

GTFO bro.

If you are running in an 8.50 index don't tell me you can't run that in a manual.

Nobody is trying to say that a manual is quicker than an auto.

Edit: I'll also add that my comment wasn't directed towards full-blown drag cars. I was just saying that if my only hang-up with a manual on a purchase of a stock car was because the autos would outrun it I'd just mod the car to make up the difference.

Last edited by jwdb1fish; 2016-09-16 at 07:44 PM..
jwdb1fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2016-09-19, 03:44 PM   #65
Nightmare302

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdb1fish View Post
TIL you need to add insane amounts of power to make up a half second of ET.

GTFO bro.

If you are running in an 8.50 index don't tell me you can't run that in a manual.

Nobody is trying to say that a manual is quicker than an auto.

Edit: I'll also add that my comment wasn't directed towards full-blown drag cars. I was just saying that if my only hang-up with a manual on a purchase of a stock car was because the autos would outrun it I'd just mod the car to make up the difference.
You are the old man mentioned at the end of my post.

nosupernova: i went to talk to her and be nice and she kept insulting me to my face so i burnt her w a chi iron
Nightmare302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2016-11-27, 11:21 PM   #66
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Zef (KW) posted this on the KCSR FB page as the mid-engine Corvette

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2016-11-28, 12:01 AM   #67
tim_ws6

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 183
Likes (Received): 476
Dislikes (Given): 1

Not done by GM. They wouldn't just reveal a car this way if it was the real deal

http://www.aria-group.com/transportation/

2002 CETA | 2012 Sierra Denali
tim_ws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2016-11-28, 02:48 PM   #68
Bustin Dailey
Fanboi 4 lyfe

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 879
Thanks (Received): 106
Likes (Given): 1432
Likes (Received): 597
Dislikes (Given): 53
Dislikes (Received): 21

As stated, that's not a GM vehicle. It looks cool though!

Offering great deals on over 600 new/pre-owned cars and trucks. WWW.WKCHEVY.COM
Bustin Dailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-01-30, 09:50 PM   #69
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

The mid-engine Chevy Corvette and C7 ZR1, together at last

2017 Corvette

There are two new super Vettes on the way: a crazier version of the current C7 we believe will revive the ZR1 name and the long-rumored mid-engine Corvette. These new spy photos show the two of them side by side undergoing testing, and they give a good look at what's the same and what's not quite the same between them.

We'll start with the similarities. Somewhat surprisingly, they look nearly identical from the A-pillar to the B-pillar. The mid-engine car, which might be considered a C8 or an offshoot of the C7, has what appears to be the same A-pillar rake, windshield, roof panel, side windows, side mirrors, and even the C7 taillights peeking out under the vinyl covers. This could just be a result of Chevy using a current car as the basis for the mid-engine test mule, but to us it looks a lot more finished than something normally cobbled together. That puts a lot more legitimacy behind the theory the mid-engine "Zora" will be a sort of last hurrah for the C7.

And then there's what's different. The front end of the mid-engine car is of course much shorter and the rear is extended – that's what happens when the engine swaps ends. It's a little tough to see under all of the camouflage, but the front shortening is most evident if you compare the overhangs and also where the front wheel is in relation to the A-pillar. On the mid-engine car, there's basically just enough body to cover the wheels, just as it should be.

The mid-engine Vette's unique cooling needs are also made apparent here by the big slots aft of the doors. The door skins also appear to have been resculpted to route airflow – and in this case some nice snowballs – to those intakes.

We expect the C7 ZR1 to show up as a 2018 model, with the mid-engine C7/8 arriving a year or two down the line. With all this awesomeness on the way, it's hard to imagine what could come after these.

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-01-30, 10:15 PM   #70
YourWorstNightmare

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 104
Likes (Given): 1032
Likes (Received): 639
Dislikes (Received): 19

If chevy decides to make a Ford GT type competitor, at least name it something else than "Corvette".

Schmeriously.
YourWorstNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-01-30, 11:11 PM   #71
turbotuner20v

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 22
Thanks (Received): 80
Likes (Given): 50
Likes (Received): 990
Dislikes (Received): 10

Is there a price/hp for the mid engine?
turbotuner20v is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-01-30, 11:45 PM   #72
DanenGraham

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Given): 33
Likes (Received): 250
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotuner20v View Post
Is there a price/hp for the mid engine?
Not really, its still all speculation. Same for the ZR1.
DanenGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-01-31, 08:56 AM   #73
Squeaky192

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 259
Thanks (Received): 176
Likes (Given): 2772
Likes (Received): 1310
Dislikes (Given): 141
Dislikes (Received): 64

On the whole auto-manual debate, I had a Camaro SS rental with the new 8 speed auto and it was pretty dope. I'd have a hard time getting a manual over one.

Rev-match downshifting and such was fun on the spirited driving I did.

1998 Volvo V70 - I can't get away from them.
1971 Camaro Z28 RS - "Barn Find" -LS/4L80/Strange 9" Restomod Beater
2012 Triumph Speed Triple R - Trouble Maker
Squeaky192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-01-31, 10:30 AM   #74
mild83

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 910
Thanks (Received): 330
Likes (Given): 6276
Likes (Received): 2704
Dislikes (Given): 128
Dislikes (Received): 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky192 View Post
On the whole auto-manual debate, I had a Camaro SS rental with the new 8 speed auto and it was pretty dope. I'd have a hard time getting a manual over one.

Don't be a twat
Unread 2017-01-31, 10:49 AM   #75
Dave B

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky192 View Post

It gets boring after a few months. Fast and quicker? Yes. More fun to drive overall? Ehhhhh. If you're going to be competing in the car for money, get the auto. Everything else short of missing a left leg, choose the man pedal option.