Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > Automotive Forums > The Automotive Lounge

Unread 2014-08-09, 08:25 PM   #26
TAILWAG

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 199
Thanks (Received): 128
Likes (Given): 355
Likes (Received): 777
Dislikes (Given): 29
Dislikes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keboh View Post
IMO keep the HP in the mid 200s. 250-260 HP would be awesome if they kept the car under 3,000 lbs. Not every car ever has to have gobs of HP to be fun.
The car has had 240hp ever since it was introduced back in 2000. Every year it was just a tad heavier - - that was the biggest complaint of owners...needs more power. Yes, 240 can be fun, but 300+ is definitely going to be more fun.
TAILWAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-08-09, 08:28 PM   #27
TAILWAG

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 199
Thanks (Received): 128
Likes (Given): 355
Likes (Received): 777
Dislikes (Given): 29
Dislikes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keboh View Post
Fair point. Maybe something close to the 3k mark would be sweet... or honestly a similar HP number, with a better tq curve would be really nice too. I just hate how everything has to be big numbers, nowadays. Some of the most fun I've had on 4 wheels has been around or under the 200 hp mark.
I agree with you, but Honda is it in to make money, like all the other car companies. The car did not sell worth a shit the last years in production - so they are going to have to do something different, considerably, in order to sell it and apply to the masses. Back in 2000, having a 240 hp car that weighed less than 2,800 lbs and that redline to 9,000 rpms, seemed to be very appealing, even if it did not have any more torque than a lawnmower.

Adding a few more lbs. of torque did not help sales, and the added weight and reduction of the redline, didn't either. More power and it will sell. Hp sells cars...true story.
TAILWAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-08-09, 09:14 PM   #28
silversilvia

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 22
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 51
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 0

Hp does sell cars. I had someone on my fb that was looking for a "good handling car" and went out and test drove a lot of cars BUT he didn't like any of the obvious ones and I figured it was because during a test drive you don't really see the merit of cars like an mx-5 or FR-S.

When I bought my S2000 some "car guys" at the office was looking at me like I was drunk and he I spent all the money on a car with "only" 240hp. The car was way faster than I would be able to drive it. It was and still is a fast car, I am getting an evo or sti next year, but that is because I have a family now and will need to haul kids and need 4 doors but I would still own one today if I didn't and the idea of finding a 09 blue or white club racer with a/c but no radio and purchase a beater is still in my head. We just don't have the parking space for me to have 3 cars and my wife have 1. And my garage is too short for a 4 post lift.

Either way didn't honda have a MR small car (honda beat?) That this is more like?

I think the S2000 CR was 38k back in 09. without knowing the exact inflation is for the time difference, but my guess is it won't be under 40k.

Last edited by silversilvia; 2014-08-09 at 09:23 PM..
silversilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-08-14, 01:27 AM   #29
Honad

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 16
Likes (Received): 23
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 0

Could it be that they are talking about the Beat reboot? Honda has confirmed that they are making one of those as well. Mid Engine, Rear Wheel drive Kei car, which is nothing like the S2k.

I would love to see them make a successor to the S2000. Maybe to compete against whatever the new Z will be and maybe the new Gen Coupe, Cayman, 4C.
Heart of America Z Car Club

Honad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-08-14, 08:38 AM   #30
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 207
Thanks (Received): 252
Likes (Given): 2471
Likes (Received): 1665
Dislikes (Given): 24
Dislikes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAILWAG View Post
The car has had 240hp ever since it was introduced back in 2000. Every year it was just a tad heavier - - that was the biggest complaint of owners...needs more power. Yes, 240 can be fun, but 300+ is definitely going to be more fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAILWAG View Post
I agree with you, but Honda is it in to make money, like all the other car companies. The car did not sell worth a shit the last years in production - so they are going to have to do something different, considerably, in order to sell it and apply to the masses. Back in 2000, having a 240 hp car that weighed less than 2,800 lbs and that redline to 9,000 rpms, seemed to be very appealing, even if it did not have any more torque than a lawnmower.

Adding a few more lbs. of torque did not help sales, and the added weight and reduction of the redline, didn't either. More power and it will sell. Hp sells cars...true story.
You are absolutely right about HP selling the car. Its just the enthusiast in me that wants more light weight, non HP monsters that handle really well. But that definitely isn't a car that would sell to the masses, sadly
Unread 2015-12-07, 11:47 AM   #31
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Honda plotting S2000 comeback before baby NSX

A new report states Honda has plans to bring back the S2000 with an all-new model that will stay true to its roots.
During a recent S2000 owners’ club event organized in the British Isles, a few representatives from Honda’s R&D department dropped a hint about a return of the beloved model. It will continue to have a front-mounted engine sending power to the rear wheels and Honda plans on selling the new one exclusively with a short-shift six-speed manual gearbox.

The base version is said to employ an uprated configuration of the new 1.5-liter VTEC turbo engine that will be good enough for approximately 180 bhp (134 kW). The range-topping S2000 will reportedly make use of a detuned 2.0-liter turbo from the Civic Type R where it has 306 bhp (228 kW). This beefier version will also get a stiffer suspension setup, further chassis optimizations, and a rear limited-slip differential.

However, it will be a while until the S2000 will be resurrected as Honda doesn’t have a suitable RWD platform available right now. Those rumors about a “baby NSX” are apparently valid, but executives at Honda are prioritizing development of a new S2000.

As for the petite S660, the company’s global boss, Takahiro Hachigo, declared it was developed primarily for Japan and would have to undergo a lot of changes to comply with European regulations. In addition, he also expressed his concern about the model’s success on the old continent.

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2015-12-11, 09:21 PM   #32
car ramrod

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 36
Likes (Given): 58
Likes (Received): 197
Dislikes (Given): 3
Dislikes (Received): 4

It'll either be fwd with a cvt or it'll never make it stateside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deploytosave View Post
Screw you and your polly pocket truck
car ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-01-31, 04:50 PM   #33
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Honda's next S2000 to get turbo four with electric compressor, report claims

An electric compressor could allow the resurrected model to achieve much higher power and better fuel efficiency, while virtually eliminating turbo lag.
Honda is reportedly developing a unique new engine for the oft-rumored S2000 revival. The company had been considering the Civic Type R's 2.0-liter turbo mill, but an inside source now tells Car and Driver "but by 2018 that would be old news. We need to take things forward."
A report in Japanese magazine Holiday Auto alleges the focus has shifted to a unique two-stage forced induction system, combining a traditional exhaust-driven turbocharger and an electrically-driven compressor. The setup is expected to achieve much higher power output and virtually eliminate turbo lag, while also elevating fuel efficiency.
C&D's source suggests Honda's modern electrified turbo will be used on a longitudinally mounted 2.0-liter inline four-cylinder engine, likely to land north of 320 horsepower -- more than 80 horses above the retired S2000's naturally aspirated inline four.
RELATED CARS

Previous reports claim the new S2000 will be sized to compete with the fourth-generation Mazda MX-5 Miata, though its new chassis is believed to support larger models such as a production car based on the Acura Precision Concept.
The S2000 is rumored for a 2018 unveiling, coinciding with Honda's 70th birthday.

Unread 2017-08-28, 11:56 AM   #34
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Honda S2000 successor may feature targa top

Image 1 / 10

Piece by piece, Honda's oft-rumored secondary sports car is coming into focus. What has been referred to as the Honda S2000 successor, or more colloquially as the "baby NSX," has seen two patent filings detailing the exterior and interior design. If the latest patent sheds any additional light, the sports car may also have a targa top.
Honda moved to patent a targa top design with the United States Patent and Trademark Office, though the patent images seem to depict a Honda S660 kei car. Here's where it gets interesting. Obviously, Honda has no plans to bring the little S660 roadster to the United States, so this targa top design has been protected for something else entirely—like a proper S2000 successor.
The patent describes the targa top as a "balance between an open feel of a Targa top vehicle and convenience of simply opening and closing an opening of a roof" with a canvas panel and metal frame. The top could be operated by a motor or manually, per the patent description. It also would negate the need for roof storage if the driver were to detach it completely.
How about some more evidence this will be applied to a baby NSX? Honda goes on to say, "In a case in which it is desired that the vehicle dynamic performance is exhibited to the maximum such as when driving on a circuit, the entire roof unit can be detached, thus lightening the vehicle body weight."
It may be an S2000 in spirit, but previous reports indicate this new mid-engine roadster could occupy a much higher price segment, perhaps around $70,000. The car would likely have the credentials to warrant such a figure. As an example, the 2.0-liter inline-4 engine from the Civic Type-R with supplemental electric power has been floated as a powertrain possibility.

HI-RES GALLERY: Honda targa top patent