Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Business, Finance

Unread 2013-11-21, 04:52 PM   #26
uprrman23

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 267
Thanks (Received): 319
Likes (Given): 1963
Likes (Received): 2502
Dislikes (Given): 40
Dislikes (Received): 51

I've tried so hard to understand what the fuck a bitcoin really is that it's blown my mind. I have read (probably the wrong articles) but is there a TL;DR function somewhere. Like a "it's simply this" that would bring me up to speed?
Unread 2013-11-21, 04:54 PM   #27
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by uprrman23 View Post
I've tried so hard to understand what the fuck a bitcoin really is that it's blown my mind. I have read (probably the wrong articles) but is there a TL;DR function somewhere. Like a "it's simply this" that would bring me up to speed?

Here's a FAQ:

http://bitcoin.org/en/faq

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks uprrman23 thanked for this post
JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-11-21, 05:42 PM   #28
Justin 05 STi

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 100
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 415
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 11

According to the FAQ, the maximum number of bitcoins the protocol allows for is 21 million.

According to blockchain, the current number of total bitcoins in circulation is just under 12 million.

So there are obviously a lot of coins left to be mined. It sounds like the issue is exponential growth of the hash algorithm or whatever as new coins are mined. Early coins came quickly, new coins now take a long time, and new coins in the future will take even longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather as a Force Multiplier: Owning the Weather in 2025
In 2025, US aerospace forces can “own the weather” by capitalizing on emerging technologies and focusing development of those technologies to war-fighting applications.
Justin 05 STi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-11-21, 05:49 PM   #29
SleeperAccord

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 82
Thanks (Received): 68
Likes (Given): 624
Likes (Received): 170
Dislikes (Given): 50
Dislikes (Received): 141

High risk, high reward...
Unread 2013-11-21, 06:13 PM   #30
uprrman23

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLM View Post
Thank you a million. Just read all of that and it answered all of my questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin 05 STi View Post
According to the FAQ, the maximum number of bitcoins the protocol allows for is 21 million.

According to blockchain, the current number of total bitcoins in circulation is just under 12 million.

So there are obviously a lot of coins left to be mined. It sounds like the issue is exponential growth of the hash algorithm or whatever as new coins are mined. Early coins came quickly, new coins now take a long time, and new coins in the future will take even longer.
From my understanding, the coins currently go out 8 decimal places and could be changed to go out farther. My mind is telling me that equals more than 21 million "coins". Hard to explain what my mind is processing but the way it's worded makes me believe that for now, lol.
uprrman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-11-21, 07:18 PM   #31
Justin 05 STi

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
From my understanding, the coins currently go out 8 decimal places and could be changed to go out farther. My mind is telling me that equals more than 21 million "coins". Hard to explain what my mind is processing but the way it's worded makes me believe that for now, lol.
Yep just like pennies vs. dollars, but bitcoins have more decimal places to work with.

If one bitcoin was worth $1 there wouldn't be as much of a need to divide them up so much. But there are far fewer bitcoins than dollars, and a cap on the total number of coins that can exist.

Quote:
In 2025, US aerospace forces can “own the weather” by capitalizing on emerging technologies and focusing development of those technologies to war-fighting applications.
Unread 2013-11-21, 08:36 PM   #32
spikejnz

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 70
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 503
Likes (Received): 180
Dislikes (Given): 14
Dislikes (Received): 13

Quote:

Your statement is half right. Early miners earned coins faster because there was less competition on the network.

Bitcoins are generated at the exact same rate today as they were on the very first day, despite the humongous amount of extra hashing power on the network. Bitcoin was designed to produce one block every 10 minutes. To keep this generation rate predictable and steady, they added a variable called difficulty. Difficulty adds complexity to the algorithm and therefore it makes solving blocks harder and take longer (individually). However, while individual miners work at a slower rate, collectively the generation rate is unchanged.
Unread 2013-11-21, 08:47 PM   #33
spikejnz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYAutoRepair View Post
Butterfly labs is a local company here in OP. I know a kid that works there. He said they are so far behind in filling orders that by the time you get your machine, it's so outdated you can't make any money.
I got my BFL Jalapeño back in July and mined in it until August... when I sold it for $1300 on eBay. Not bad for something I paid $150 for. I now have about $3500 in bitcoin, and that number goes up every day.

If you're interested in mining but don't want to buy hardware at home, I suggest https://cex.io/r/0/spikejnz/0/. I have 42 GH/s on there right now, and I reinvest all my earnings in hashing power. The price they are traded at fluctuates daily, so I could realistically sell my holdings to someone else for what I paid for them.
Unread 2013-11-22, 01:27 PM   #34
Prolific

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 446
Thanks (Received): 103
Likes (Given): 3806
Likes (Received): 840
Dislikes (Given): 110
Dislikes (Received): 22

Okay, so you "mine" for these strings of code that were generated how? I feel like there is one guy who created all of this that is sitting back and has a control for it all. I mean, if he created it, couldn't he control it at some point?

I'm with upprman, it really is confusing.
1995 Grand Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy has a EK View Post
your just a dumb ass fuck this im done with these dumdasses!.
Prolific is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-11-22, 01:27 PM   #35
Prolific

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, so you "mine" for these strings of code that were generated how? I feel like there is one guy who created all of this that is sitting back and has a control for it all. I mean, if he created it, couldn't he control it at some point?

1995 Grand Cherokee

Quote:
Unread 2013-11-22, 01:32 PM   #36
spikejnz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey L View Post

Nope. Bitcoin is completely open source and has been verified over and over and over. The only way to exploit Bitcoin is to control 51% of the hashing power on the network. That would allow you to force a hard-fork in the blockchain, reversing some transactions and erasing others. It could also allow you to "double-spend" a bitcoin and send it to two individuals. However, in doing so you would completely undermine the trust in the system, and would reduce confidence in BTC...and therefore its value. There is no financial gain to be made in doing so.
Unread 2013-11-22, 01:45 PM   #37
Prolific

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikejnz View Post
Nope. Bitcoin is completely open source and has been verified over and over and over. The only way to exploit Bitcoin is to control 51% of the hashing power on the network. That would allow you to force a hard-fork in the blockchain, reversing some transactions and erasing others. It could also allow you to "double-spend" a bitcoin and send it to two individuals. However, in doing so you would completely undermine the trust in the system, and would reduce confidence in BTC...and therefore its value. There is no financial gain to be made in doing so.
But these codes that translate in to bit coins, where did they come from and how has someone not been able to write a code that finds them quicker? Just seems crazy to me that with all of the people working on it that someone hasn't found a way to just reel them in.
1995 Grand Cherokee

Quote:
Unread 2013-11-22, 03:33 PM   #38
uprrman23

Post Thanks / Like

as for these businesses and such that are now "accepting bitcoin" as payment, how does that translate into real money? Are they doing it for tax evasion purposes?

Eventually it's going to get shut down. If places start accepting this as payment, it will completely demolish the Dollar, Right?

I guess I just don't see the point in getting these bitcoins. Is it considered an "investment"? Buy low, sell high kind of deal?
Unread 2013-11-22, 03:38 PM   #39
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 257
Likes (Given): 61
Likes (Received): 1932
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 35

There is a guy here at work that mines. I think he has a pretty killer machine set up that is dedicated to the process.

BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-11-22, 03:42 PM   #40
uprrman23

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyLee View Post
There is a guy here at work that mines. I think he has a pretty killer machine set up that is dedicated to the process.
I'd like to see how much he has spent on equipment vs. production of bitcoins. Like, what kind of profit he has made.

Obviously it's not an easy thing to do or everyone would get "free money"
Unread 2013-11-22, 06:40 PM   #41
SleeperAccord

Post Thanks / Like

I'm still confused at what gives the bitcoin its value.
Unread 2013-11-22, 06:47 PM   #42
spikejnz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey L View Post
But these codes that translate in to bit coins, where did they come from and how has someone not been able to write a code that finds them quicker? Just seems crazy to me that with all of the people working on it that someone hasn't found a way to just reel them in.
Think of bitcoin as a metal chain. The individual links have no value, but linked together they create something useful. However instead of identical objects, bitcoin blocks are a unique set of numbers that are part of a larger chain if numbers, akin to pi. Miners are working to solve the next numbers in the sequence.

Someone had not been able to find a software solution to stored up solving problems because of the difficulty variable I described earlier. The system is self-correcting in that if bitcoins begin to generate at an unpredictable rate, difficulty is increased to show it down. The only way to speed up solving the sequence is to increase hardware rate. However the network quickly recovers and slows production. The only way to stay ahead is to have better and more powerful hardware than the majority of users.

Quote:
as for these businesses and such that are now "accepting bitcoin" as payment, how does that translate into real money? Are they doing it for tax evasion purposes?

Eventually it's going to get shut down. If places start accepting this as payment, it will completely demolish the Dollar, Right?

I guess I just don't see the point in getting these bitcoins. Is it considered an "investment"? Buy low, sell high kind of deal?

Nope, income if income. You have to pay tax regardless of where it comes from. It's not going to get shut down. If it weren't legitimate, banks wouldn't be so worried worried and big name like the Winklevoss Twins wouldn't have invested over 11 million in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyLee View Post

Video card mining is all but completely dead.

Quote:
I'd like to see how much he has spent on equipment vs. production of bitcoins. Like, what kind of profit he has made.

Obviously it's not an easy thing to do or everyone would get "free money"
Is an expensive investment, but it more than pays off. Is not for the hobbiest anymore though.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
Unread 2013-11-25, 09:44 AM   #43
Justin 05 STi

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeperAccord View Post
I'm still confused at what gives the bitcoin its value.
Trust in the currency itself.

Which is why I don't understand when people say bitcoin is not a fiat currency. With dollars we put trust in the government / federal reserve. With bitcoins we put trust in the p2p network and the encryption.

Quote:
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Keboh liked this post
Unread 2013-11-26, 11:00 PM   #44
SleeperAccord

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Trust in the currency itself.

Which is why I don't understand when people say bitcoin is not a fiat currency. With dollars we put trust in the government / federal reserve. With bitcoins we put trust in the p2p network and the encryption.
I'm not sure I could truly trust "black market" currency. Even if I did that could still technically be wiped out of existence in a swift sweep. Too risky of an investment IMO.
Unread 2013-11-26, 11:35 PM   #45
spikejnz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeperAccord View Post
I'm not sure I could truly trust "black market" currency. Even if I did that could still technically be wiped out of existence in a swift sweep. Too risky of an investment IMO.
Once you do a lot of reading, you'll see it's not as big a risk as people think.
Unread 2013-11-27, 10:54 AM   #46
Justin 05 STi

Post Thanks / Like

Good read:

http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...virtual-wallet

Quote:
Unread 2013-11-28, 01:42 PM   #47
DIYAutoRepair
**Sponsor**

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 25
Thanks (Received): 192
Likes (Given): 71
Likes (Received): 1308
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 25
Default IT worker throws out hard drive, loses $7.5 million Bitcoin fortune

IT worker throws out hard drive, loses $7.5 million Bitcoin fortune

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2...n-fortune?lite

Ohh well, it's just data.
Visit us at http://diyautorepairkc.com/
or call (913) 226-3806

Favorite car from the past (73 Pinto)
DIYAutoRepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-11-28, 01:50 PM   #48
mild83

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 925
Thanks (Received): 335
Likes (Given): 6333
Likes (Received): 2729
Dislikes (Given): 128
Dislikes (Received): 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYAutoRepair View Post
IT worker throws out hard drive, loses $7.5 million Bitcoin fortune

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2...n-fortune?lite

Ohh well, it's just data.
Can that be verified? Just seems odd someone would make that mistake.
mild83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-11-28, 03:35 PM   #49
spikejnz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by mild83 View Post
Can that be verified? Just seems odd someone would make that mistake.
I lost about 3 in a wallet I lost when my hard drive crashed. I don't leave that up to chance anymore.
Unread 2013-11-28, 04:20 PM   #50
Karlen

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 887
Thanks (Received): 482
Likes (Given): 4078
Likes (Received): 4368
Dislikes (Given): 99
Dislikes (Received): 168

I wish I could understand how it works. It seems really interesting.
Karlen is offline   Reply With Quote