Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > Automotive Forums > The Automotive Lounge

Unread 2017-07-19, 10:51 AM   #176
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

2018 BMW Z4 spy shots

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly.

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9DcmGV5upM
Those beefy canards are unlikely to end up on the production model.

While the “Z4” moniker will likely live on, the roadster is going through some major changes for its next generation. For starters, the hardtop will make way for a fabric roof like its Z3 ancestor had as a way to shave off weight and free up space in the trunk. The rear-wheel-drive sports car is being developed with Toyota and is expected to feature a hybrid powertrain for the first time in its existence.

BMW was seen the other day testing a prototype on a damp Nürburgring, and by the looks of it, focus was on aerodynamics as the car had a pair of large winglets on each side of the front bumper. We can’t help but notice something was going on with the rear wheel arches as well judging by those add-on pieces.
The adjacent video also allows us to hear the raspy soundtrack, though it’s not known what type of engine produces that music to our ears. For what it’s worth, a previous prototype had a turbocharged 2.0-liter belonging to what will be the Z4 S20i with an output of around 200 horsepower. Stronger versions will be blessed with larger six-cylinder units and should pump out in excess of 300 hp. Rumor has it the electrified version benefitting from Toyota’s hybrid know-how will be reserved to the range-topping model.
BMW hasn’t said a word about when it will unveil the all-new Z4, but a concept will supposedly be shown as early as next month at the Pebble Beach Concourse d’Elegance. In 2018, Toyota’s equivalent version will make its debut and it might bring back the beloved “Supra” nameplate for what will be sold strictly as a coupe. Aside from sharing most of the hardware components, the two are also bound to be built in the same place, at Magna Steyr’s factory in Austria.

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-07-30, 10:00 PM   #177
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

BMW Finally Teases Its New Roadster

BMW has been the mysterious half of a long-reported partnership with Toyota to develop a new sports car platform. Toyota’s side of things has been busy, with plenty of teases and looks at what could be the next Toyota Supra. The BMW side has been relatively quiet, at least until now.

What you see isn’t much, but it’s the clearest indication of BMW’s end of the Toyota partnership, set to be another roadster to replace the Z4 that went out of production last year. The silhouette looks get and the nose looks promisingly pointy.
It’s not clear how much the BMW and Toyota cars are actually sharing, but the most steadfast rumors have been about possible hybrid power and glorious rear-wheel-drive.
We’ll be getting the full reveal of what’s only being called the roadster concept at the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance on August 17. It’s just a shame that just two months ago a BMW exec was quoted not being too sure what the new roadster would be called, just that it wouldn’t be the BMW Z5.

I still like Zupr4.

Unread 2017-08-09, 02:36 PM   #178
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Leaked BMW Model Codes Document Suggests Upcoming Supra Will Not Get A Manual And Will Only Have 335 Horsepower

Our fellow Supra-arrival-breath-holders over at Supramkv.com have posted an alleged leaked, internal BMW document that shows a huge list of BMW internal model codes, and some crucial specs. The document lists a huge number of BMW models, including the J29 platform ones that we’ll know as the Supra. Sadly, a manual transmission doesn’t seem to be on the list.
This list has actually been available for a few months, so this information may change or have changed, but it’s still interesting to see what seems to be planned.

Also, we have not in any way verified the authenticity of this file; it has some unusual things referenced, like a U.S.-market X3 xDrive/sDrive 30i with a stick shift, which doesn’t really seem to exist. And it references an X7, which isn’t available yet. So, really, I can’t say I know exactly what this document is.

Supramkv.com commenter gymratter published a post earlier this month highlighting the models that appear to be the new Toyota Supra and its brother, BMW’s new Z4 replacement:
Quote:
J29 Toyota
DB21,P,TOYOTA,,J29,SPX 30i,COU,,,EUR,LL,RWD,2,AUT,,,,
DB22,P,TOYOTA,,J29,SPX 30i,COU,,,EUR,RL,RWD,2,AUT,,,,
DB23,P,TOYOTA,,J29,SPX 30i,COU,,,USA,LL,RWD,2,AUT,,,,
DB41,P,TOYOTA,,J29,SPX 40i,COU,,,EUR,LL,RWD,2,AUT,,,,
DB42,P,TOYOTA,,J29,SPX 40i,COU,,,EUR,RL,RWD,2,AUT,,,,
DB43,P,TOYOTA,,J29,SPX 40i,COU,,,USA,LL,RWD,2,AUT,,,,
DB81,P,TOYOTA,,J29,SPX 20i,COU,,,EUR,LL,RWD,2,AUT,,,,
DB82,P,TOYOTA,,J29,SPX 20i,COU,,,EUR,RL,RWD,2,AUT,,,,

As you can see by all those AUTs, there does not seem to be a manual version of the Supra in the works. In this document, which you can see for yourself here, manual transmissions are denoted with the word MECH.

The poster goes on to point out
Quote:
Europe gets two 4 cylinder models (represented by “20i” and “30i”) and a 6 cylinder model (40i). U.S. gets one 4 cylinder model (248hp?) and a 6 cylinder model (335hp?).
The four is likely the B48 generation engine, and the straight-six seems to be the BMW B58 engine, which normally makes 335 hp, though we don’t yet know if there will be tuning differences that would change this number.

Personally, I suspect 335 hp might be just the right number to have fun in the new Supra, but there’s no doubt many fans will be disappointed if it comes out with that low a number. The lack of a manual is more disturbing, I think.
The BMW sibling does seem to include manual-transmission options:
HF31,P,BMW PKW,Z’,G29,Z4 sDrive30i,ROA,,,EUR,LL,RWD,2,MECH,,,,
HF32,P,BMW PKW,Z’,G29,Z4 sDrive30i,ROA,,,EUR,RL,RWD,2,MECH,,,,
HF33,P,BMW PKW,Z’,G29,Z4 sDrive30i,ROA,,,USA,LL,RWD,2,MECH,,,,
... to just list a few.

It’s also notable that all variations are RWD, with no AWD variations to be seen, which seems right. Also, unlike some have guessed, it doesn’t seem like it’s going to be an AWD hybrid drivetrain, either.
Speaking of driven wheels, there’s some interesting other entries in this model sheet regarding Toyota and BMW, like these:
9A01,P,TOYOTA,,V01,TOYOTA,HAT,,,EUR,LL,FWD,5,MECH, ,,, 9A02,P,TOYOTA,,V01,TOYOTA,HAT,,,EUR,LL,FWD,5,MECH, ,,, 9A03,P,TOYOTA,,V01,TOYOTA,HAT,,,EUR,LL,FWD,5,MECH, ,,,
What the hell is that? A BMW model number for something both Toyota and FWD? I can’t think of any carmaker less likely to need help developing a FWD vehicle than Toyota. Is that a Mini platform? What’s going on here?

There’s a bunch of other interesting models in the list, including references to Morgan (BMW supplies engines) and Brilliance (BMW has a joint Chinese venture with them). Peugeot is also listed, perhaps in reference to the PSA Prince engines BMW uses in some Minis?
Whatever all this is, it’s some of the most interesting stuff you’ll see that was dumped out of some database.

Unread 2017-08-09, 02:46 PM   #179
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

2018 Toyota Supra Shows Off Production Cues in Latest Spy Photos

PreviousNext

The latest spy photos of the 2018 Toyota Supra show the highly anticipated coupe looking more production-ready than ever before.

Earlier spy shots of the new Supra showed prototypes with mock-up headlights and a heavily camouflaged front end. The prototype seen here appears to be wearing production headlights with rectangular LED segments, but the rest of the car remains disguised. Those curious as to what the production car may look like should look at these photos and photos of the Toyota FT-1 concept side-by-side, as the Supra will draw heavily from that well-received design study.
A leaked internal document surfaced this week that may have revealed the available powertrains for the 2018 Supra and the related BMW Z4. If it’s to be believed, the entry-level Supra will feature a 2.0-liter turbo making about 250 horsepower, while the range-topping version will have a 3.0-liter turbocharged inline-six making 335 horsepower. Disappointingly, it may only be offered with a BMW-sourced automatic transmission, with a manual option not appearing on the leaked document.

A concept version of the related BMW Z4 will make its debut in Pebble Beach later this month, while the concept version of the Supra will arrive in October at the Tokyo Motor Show. Production versions of both cars should arrive sometime next year.

Unread 2017-08-10, 10:44 PM   #180
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Spied! Toyota Supra Sports Full-LED Headlights

Could they be production-spec?

We've seen Toyota Supra mules running around for a while, and not much has changed on them -- until now. Our spy photographers caught the Supra testing in Germany with the usual camouflage and nothing new until you see the headlights, which look full LED, vastly different from past test mules that were equipped with more traditional-looking headlights.

The headlights appear to have six individual LED projectors per housing, with two rows of three lenses in each. No surprise as many automakers have gone the LED route for their appealing looks and efficiency. Oddly enough, there is some resemblance to Acura's Jewel Eye LED headlights but little resemblance to any existing Toyota/Lexus or BMW LED headlights.

Photo 2/12 | Spied! Toyota Supra Sports Full-LED Headlights

Photo 6/12 | Spied! Toyota Supra Sports Full-LED Headlights

Could these be the actual production headlights or at least an available option? It's possible, but hard to say since they're equipped on a camouflaged pre-production mule. Once the cover comes off, we will likely have our answer. In the meantime, let's hope the Toyota Supra comes standard with a dazzling set of bright, full-LED headlights.

The Supra coupe shares the same platform as the upcoming BMW Z5 convertible thanks to the joint development deal signed by Toyota and BMW. We expect power to come four- and six-cylinder turbocharged engines from BMW or a rumored twin-turbo V-6 from Toyota. A hybrid powertrain might be introduced later in production. Magna Steyr is expected to manufacture both vehicles in Graz, Austria.

Unread 2017-08-15, 12:46 PM   #181
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

This Is Apparently The New BMW Z4 Concept

BMW has famously declared that sports cars are all but dead, but at some point they must have said “fuck it” to team up with Toyota and bring us a new roadster. We’ll see it later this week at Monterey Car Week, but for now here’s a teaser.
Word on the street is this concept, previewed on BMW’s Facebook page, will become the next BMW Z4. Even more importantly, its platform will also underpin the new Toyota Supra, or whatever Toyota ends up calling that thing.

We don’t know much else for now, except that if it is indeed related to the Supra a range of four- and six-cylinder turbo engines are expected. We can’t tell much from this photo, either, but it definitely looks more aggressive than the last Z4—wide rear fender flares, a narrower kidney grille and a kind of pouncing stance.

It doesn’t look bad here. Expect to see the full reveal on Thursday, August 17.

Unread 2017-08-17, 09:58 AM   #182
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

The Gorgeous BMW Z4 Concept Proves The Sports Car Isn’t Dead

BMW broke all our hearts a little bit in 2014 when it said that the sports car market was dying. But with the whole Toyota-Supra partnership and now a sparkling new Z4 concept at Monterey Car Week, we feel some retribution coming for those hurtful words spoken in the past.

Unread 2017-08-22, 12:50 PM   #183
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

The New Toyota Supra Is Still Out There Running Around

Photos credit Nick Ferrari
Its platform-mate, the BMW Z4, dropped this weekend at Pebble Beach. But where is the new Toyota Supra? It’s out there, away from the glitz and glamour of the Concours, running around with the people, on actual city streets. Just covered in camo. Still.

From reader Nick Ferrari come these in-motion shots of the new Supra (or whatever Toyota’s gonna call it, probably something bad that totally misses this opportunity) driving around Port Hueneme, California. We don’t get anything super new from these pics, but it’s a good reminder that this long-awaited machine is real and still happening.
I’m excited about it. I hope it doesn’t suck.

Unread 2017-08-27, 09:39 PM   #184
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Toyota Rep Allegedly Confirms New Supra Will Have A Manual Option

In June, it was reported that the new Toyota Supra may only be offered with an automatic transmission. Well, Supra enthusiasts may be in for a reprieve as a new report indicates a manual option is likely to be made available for the new sports car.

To begin with, we'll tell you that the source of this information has yet to be verified (we're working on it) so take it with a pinch of salt.

Taking to the iH8Mud forum, a member claims to have had dinner with a respected Toyota representative who divulged a few details about the new Supra. This rep, named Dave, has been involved in the product development of most modern North American Toyota models, including the 200 Series Land Cruiser.

When quizzed about the new sports car, the rep claimed it will be released in 2019 and have a manual transmission as an option. When you consider that Toyota's other enthusiast-focused car, the 86, is offered with a stick-shift, it would make sense for the automaker to offer a similar gearbox in the Supra, especially if it wants to back up its assertion of no longer building “boring cars.”

Alongside this transmission-related information, the rep said the new Supra may be available with two different engines. The first will apparently be developed between the Japanese marque and BMW but not be the latter's familiar 3.0-liter twin-turbo inline-6. 400 hp could be on the cards. Additionally, a hybrid powertrain will be made available.

Sadly, Toyota itself is remaining tight-lipped about the whole thing. Hopefully it decides to detail its goals for the new Supra soon.

Unread 2017-09-01, 02:42 PM   #185
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

The New Toyota Supra Went On Vacation With Some BMWs In Italy

Photos credit Lucas Scarfone
The new Toyota Supra: What’s the deal? Where is it? We’ve seen that camo’d mule running around now since people could still tolerate Taylor Swift, and yet no concept or production car has surfaced. All speculation about its future aside, we know where it’s been lately: chilling in Italy with some BMWs.

Hey, can you blame it here? Summer’s pretty much over. It’s trying to catch one last break with its friends before it has to show up at an auto show and eventually dealer lots. (If it ever does! Who the hell knows.)

Photographer Lucas Scarfone captured a few shots of the new car at the Grand Hotel in Arenzano, along with one camo’d up sedan that I am guessing is the next 3 Series and two roadsters destined to be the next Z4. Here’s hoping that ends up looking as good as the concept did.

Hope you and your friends had a nice time, Supra. See you in America soon?

Unread 2017-10-08, 11:54 PM   #186
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

2019 Toyota Supra Realistic CGI Fills Us With Anticipation

Based on all the Toyota Supra prototypes spied in recent months, it seems evident that the completed sports car will take obvious design inspiration from the FT-1 Concept and could end up looking quite similar to this rendering.

Created by a member of the Supra MKV forums, the car is clearly similar to the FT-1 but dulls down the design to make it more appropriate for road use. Additionally, numerous modifications have been made to ensure it would pass various regulations around the world.

One clear alteration between the concept and the finished car pictured is the use of simplified headlights free of the blue LEDs of the show car. Additionally, the front bumper and fascia area has been re-sculpted to protrude less and to look significantly subtler.

Looking at the vehicle from the side, a range of other modifications are noticeable, including the removal of the large side air intake of the concept. Fortunately, not everything has changed and the roofline and doors of the concept have been retained.

It is no secret that the new Toyota Supra is being developed alongside the latest-generation BMW Z4. However, it remains unclear when the Japanese automaker intends on revealing the car.

PHOTO GALLERY

Unread 2017-10-12, 02:10 PM   #187
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Photo credit Ken Saito Look! It’s the new Toyota Supra (or whatever they’re calling it) running around Tokyo. Our man in Japan Ken Saito caught this the other day. Word is we’ll see the real thing at the Tokyo Motor Show at the end of this month.

Unread 2017-10-16, 11:01 AM   #188
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

New Toyota Supra: all the latest on the 2018 sports car

Toyota Supra design previewed in exclusive images ahead of planned launch in 2018

Sixteen years after it went out of production, the Toyota Supra is due for a comeback in 2018 - and our exclusive images preview how it could look when it goes on sale.
The new flagship Toyota sports car is expected to arrive in 2018 and is being developed in conjunction with BMW – it’ll share its platform with the German marque’s upcoming Z4 replacement.

The car is likely to borrow some design aspects from the FT-1, Toyota’s 2014 concept car. Underneath the camo it appears the production Supra borrows the FT-1 concept’s strong central nose, jutting out from beyond the bonnet. It sits above a new front bumper with three large air intakes.

Image 2 of 35

Image 2 of 35

The latest testing spy shots at the Nurburgring show a bit more of the coupe's profile too, as well as the fixed 'ducktail' spoiler. A Pair of small taillights sit below it – a nod to the original Supra – while two large exhaust exits poke out on each corner of the rear bumper, similar to the GT86.
An enthusiast's favourite, the last Supra went out of production in 2002, so the return of the iconic name is big news. Earlier this year we learnt that Toyota and BMW were to partner up and develop an all-new sports car together, which we now know will be the new Supra and the replacement for the Z4
This test mule also features a hard-top rather than the Z4's fabric roof, and it's believed that the Supra will be strictly offered only as coupe.
Hybrid power on the cards for new Supra

Image 3 of 35

Image 3 of 35

Senior Toyota sources have also given the strongest hint yet that the company’s new Supra sports car could feature hybrid power.
The new Supra is likely to sit above the GT86 when it arrives in 2018. The cooperation between Toyota and BMW is said to have focused on chassis development, so engine and transmission choices will likely differ - and that's where the possibility of a Toyota petrol/electric hybrid engine comes in.
Best performance cars to buy now
When asked if Toyota’s quest to have a hybrid or plug-in hybrid vehicle in every market sector would extend to sports cars, Toyota Europe president and CEO Johan van Zyl said: “I would imagine that in the future that will definitely happen." “We already have some sporting models with hybrid powertrains on the Lexus side. But on the Toyota side, I think we will find that if we can have a World Endurance Championship racing car with hybrid technology, it can happen on a road car.”
He added: “I do not have any doubt whatsoever that in the longer-term future there will be a real Toyota sports model using electrification.”
Earlier in 2016, Toyota made new trademark applications in Europe and the US for the Supra name, casting a fresh spotlight on the project. BMW and Toyota announced their joint venture all the way back in 2011 – declaring hydrogen fuel cells, shared battery tech and a new sports car platform were included in the deal.
Best sports cars to buy now
While the BMW Z4 and new Supra will take advantage of the shared technology, the Supra will likely be the bigger car of the two. That will allow the Supra to sit above the GT86 model that's already a key part of the Toyota line-up, and offer much more in terms of performance.
Rumours suggest the new Supra will come fitted with a straight-six engine from BMW's powertrain stable, forgoing the four-cylinder engines of lesser Z4s. Whatever the engine the Supra's ace card should come in the form of hybrid-electric tech to boost performance.

Image 10 of 35

Image 10 of 35

It's likely that the Toyota hybrid tech will have much in common with its Le Mans race cars. The new sports car will use electric motors on the front and rear axle, with a petrol engine driving the rear wheels. Electric power will come from regenerative braking, and will be stored in a lithium ion battery. This will allow both brands to eventually offer plug-in hybrid versions of their new sports cars.
Interestingly, the system will implement Toyota’s first-ever dual-clutch transmission, in place of the CVT gearboxes we’re accustomed to in existing Toyota and Lexus hybrids.
By designing the motors in-house, and taking advantage of BMW’s carbon-fibre reinforce plastic weight-saving methods, Toyota is thought to be targeting a kerbweight of less than 1,400kg. However, it’s expected that the BMW will be the lighter of the two models. Both cars are expected to debut only a few months apart, but expect the Z4 to break cover first at the end of 2017.

Unread 2017-10-24, 02:32 PM   #189
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Toyota Supra's production taillights illuminate for the camera

They appear to use LEDs.

slide-7132096

slide-7132097

slide-7132098

slide-7132095

slide-7132094

slide-endcap

slide-7132092

slide-7132091

slide-7132090

• Image Credit: CarPix

The steady trickle of updated Toyota Supra prototypes continues with this model spotted in Europe. At a glance, this looks just like any other Supra prototype seen in the past few months, but the back end has a new detail. The generic circular LED taillights have been replaced with production units that fit the shape we've been seeing through the camouflage.

As such, the taillights are very slim. They also have no retro cues from the previous-generation Supra such as the individual circular light elements in the housing. Instead, the edges of the housings are lit up with what seem to be LEDs, and the light is diffused through an interesting textured red lens. With the lights off, there don't appear to be any distinct lighting elements. Also interesting to note is the apparent absence of any clear or amber sections of the taillights. It could be that the reverse lights will be mounted somewhere lower in the bumper. The turn signals could be incorporated into the reverse lights if needed, or blink red in the taillight housing.

Other than the taillights, there isn't really anything else of important note on the outside. It's interesting that this Supra is wearing the same mesh wheels as a previous BMW Z4 prototype, but that's not entirely surprising considering the two share much in common. We expect the car will be available with four- and six-cylinder engines making between 248 and 335 horsepower. It's also possible that it will only be available with an automatic transmission.

Related Video:

Featured GalleryToyota Supra Spy Shots

Unread 2017-10-24, 04:15 PM   #190
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

The New Supra Will Be Sold Under Toyota's Gazoo Racing Brand

Toyota Supra GR? Gazoo Supra? Supra GRMN? The car's final name is still a mystery.

Toyota

According to a report from Autocar, the upcoming Toyota Supra remake will be sold under the Japanese automaker's recently-launched performance sub-brand Gazoo Racing, or GR for short.
When GR boss Koei Saga spoke to the British auto publication earlier this year, he added that a hybrid-driven halo model was his "dream," which definitely explains the funky, targa-top-having GR HV unveiled earlier this month. While nothing is concrete as of yet, a future, hybrid super-Supra flagship sports car is beginning to sound like a real possibility.
While the Gazoo Supra's exact name is still subject to speculation, company insiders reportedly told Autocar that a 2018 reveal is expected, followed by a 2019 street date. Latest reports say that the new Toyota Supra GR will be powered by a 400-plus horsepower, turbo V-6 and thankfully, be available with an old-school manual. A more economical four-cylinder mill is also reportedly on the menu.

Co-developed with BMW, Toyota's—er, Gazoo's—upcoming sports coupe will be a mechanical sibling to the new Z4. As a fan of the Z4 Concept's Bavarian F-Type appearance, I have high hopes for the imminent Japanese rendition.
Gazoo Racing's premiere production model will be the 205 hp Yaris GRMN hot hatch. Apparently limited to just 400 units, Gazoo's fast Yaris is strictly a Europe-only affair.

Unread 2017-11-06, 04:55 PM   #191
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, Great Gazoo: ’20 Supra to Carry Gazoo Racing Badge

The new sports car could mark US debut for GR sub-brand.

A rendering of the 2019 GR/Toyota Supra by website SupraMKV.com

Officials with Toyota have confirmed reports that the all-new Supra sports car will ditch the Toyota badge when it goes on sale during the second half of 2019, instead carrying the logo of the Japanese maker’s new sub-brand, Gazoo Racing.
Otherwise known as GR, Gazoo originally was formed to give Toyota a new base in the racing world, and it has been a solid performer, among other things winning the World Rally Championship. But Gazoo is now going to be used as a sub-brand for Toyota’s sportiest models, much like Nissan’s NISMO and BMW’s vaunted M. The first batch of GR models will even include a sportier version of the Prius Prime.

Toyota has made no secret of its plans to bring back the Supra after a long absence, and at an event in Tokyo, GR chief Shigeki Tomoyama told reporters, “the Supra will be by Gazoo.” That appears to also signal that the GR badge will now come to the U.S. market, something the company had so far not been willing to confirm.

As to the Supra itself, the coupe was long the sportiest model in the Toyota line-up, but it ended production in 2002. Rumors of its return have been swirling ever since. What made it likely that the nameplate would return was Toyota’s announcement of a joint venture with BMW in 2012 to come up with a replacement for the Bavarian maker’s aging Z4 model. It was quickly guessed that Toyota’s version would become a reborn Supra.
A camouflaged version of the new Supra, courtesy of Britain's AutoExpress.

A concept version of the new BMW Z4 was revealed in August at the 2017 Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance and rumor has it as many as three versions of the roadster could make it to market.
Unlike an earlier joint venture which resulted in virtually identical sports coupes, the Subaru BRZ and the Toyota 86, BMW and its Japanese partner have ensured major differences in the looks of their two new models, at least based on what we’ve seen to date. For one thing, BMW will deliver a roadster, Toyota a fixed-roof coupe.
Beyond, that, not many details have leaked out about Supra specifics. Tomoya did confirm the new sports car would have a 50:50 weight balance and, hinted that, “hybrid technology will be necessary for the future sports car. It’s not just about prioritizing efficiency, but speed too. The key challenge we need to overcome is controlling the energy flow, the regeneration and keeping the weight low.”
That appears to conflict with some reports about the new BMW Z4 that has suggested there would be no hybrid version – a surprise since the Bavarians are planning a big push into electrification as they begin to pull away from their long dependence on diesel power.
Tomoya also sidestepped questions about why the new Z4 will reach showrooms in 2018 while the Supra will be held for as much as another year.
The GR HV Concept, likely a hybrid version of the 86, made its debut at this year's Tokyo Motor Show.

The recent announcement of the GR sub-brand was itself shrouded in some mystery, Toyota initially appearing to say that the performance badge would be focused on the home Japanese market. When the first seven models were revealed in September the mix included such unlikely performance candidates as the Yaris and Prius Prime, the latter being the plug-in hybrid version of the familiar Toyota Prius.
At the Tokyo Motor Show last month Toyota, meanwhile, unveiled the new GR HV, a hybrid concept that many expect will be the much-desired, performance version of the Toyota 86 coupe.

As with the next-gen BMW Z4, expect to see several powertrain alternatives for the reborn Supra, including a straight-six version targeting classic Supra fans. One other question that lingers is whether all versions will be dubbed GR, or just the top-line performer, much as BMW limits the use of its M badge. On the other hand, the new Supra could become the equivalent of the Mercedes-AMG GT, sold only with the AMG badge but in a variety of different configurations that range from fast to faster to, oh, my lord.

Unread 2017-11-07, 10:47 AM   #192
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Reborn Toyota Supra Tears Up The Nurburgring Before Official Reveal

by Martin Bigg
4,371 reads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Come on Toyota, we already know the reborn Supra exists.
It's no secret that Toyota is collaborating with BMW to develop the all-new Supra, and yet the Japanese automaker has remained strangely silent about its existence lately. We were fully expecting the reborn sports car to be revealed at this year's Tokyo Motor Show, but it was conspicuously absent. When the next-generation Supra is scheduled to arrive is still unknown, but until then we’ll have to settle for swooning over the prototype mule which has once again been spotted undergoing testing at the Nurburgring. Surely, a reveal must be imminent.

It’s safe to say we’ve been waiting patiently for the fifth-generation Supra since it was previewed three years ago by the fetching FT-1 Concept. It's also been 15 years since the Mk IV Supra finished production. The test car featured in this latest spy video features less camouflage, indicating that the final production car’s design will deviate from the concept. It won’t feature the FT-1’s protruding nose that made it look like a shark, for a start. This has been replaced with an aggressive front splitter, and it also appears to be sporting production taillights. Rumors have also suggested the new Supra will be powered a turbocharged 2.0-liter inline-four cylinder engine developed by BMW.

Combined with hybrid assistance developed by Toyota, this setup is expected to produce at least 350-horsepower. It also won’t be wearing a Toyota badge, and will instead be part of Toyota’s Gazoo Racing performance sub-brand. Probably wise, since Toyota is still associated with sedate family cars.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly.

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDsOyC0GSqw

We still don’t know exactly when the new Supra will make its world debut, but the sports coupe is expected to launch later next year after the new BMW Z4 roadster. Let’s hope it lives up to expectations after such an agonizingly long wait.

Unread 2017-11-08, 11:00 AM   #193
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

2019 Toyota Supra Looks Great In Latest Rendering

The Toyota Supra is continuing its slow march to production and the SupraMKV Forums have created a new rendering of what the car could look like.

Loosely based on the FT-1 concept, the rendering more closely resembles the production model as forum member Supra93 shortened the car's wheelbase and "pushed" the hood back. The fenders have also been modified and the rear air intakes have been removed. Other notable changes include larger mirrors and the addition of a central air intake.

The rendering looks pretty impressive but spy photos have shown the production model will be a bit different as the car has been spotted with conventional mirrors, a higher hood, and less dramatic headlights.

Toyota has been tight-lipped about the car but it will be based on the same platform that underpins the upcoming BMW Z4. BMW's model codes suggested the Supra will be offered with four- and six-cylinder engines and they are rumored to have outputs of up to 335 hp (250 kW). The codes also seemed to imply the model would be offered exclusively with an automatic transmission but an unsubstantiated rumored suggested a manual transmission would be available as well.

Toyota's Shigeki Tomoyama has also hinted the Supra could be sold under the Gazoo Racing brand as he stated "The Supra will be by Gazoo."

Tags
2018, bmw z4, re-birth, toyota supra