Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > Automotive Forums > The Automotive Lounge

Unread 2014-01-13, 10:19 AM   #51
Dave B

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 133
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 998
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 63

Why can't we just go back to what the original Supra was all about? Ya know, a solid sportscar for the masses? IS RWD chassis, ISF V8 or a turbo motor, 2+2 arrangement, ~$50K price, with a primary focus on handling. We don't need a $100K+ supercar Toyota. Your halo car needs to be affordable if you're a common make like Toyota. Save the supercars for Lexus.
Dave B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-01-13, 10:22 AM   #52
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
Why can't we just go back to what the original Supra was all about? Ya know, a solid sportscar for the masses? IS RWD chassis, ISF V8 or a turbo motor, 2+2 arrangement, ~$50K price, with a primary focus on handling. We don't need a $100K+ supercar Toyota. Your halo car needs to be affordable if you're a common make like Toyota. Save the supercars for Lexus.
I don't think this will translate for a 1 to 1 car (mostly a design study if anything)

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-01-13, 11:03 AM   #53
69Mach351

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 262
Thanks (Received): 234
Likes (Given): 1792
Likes (Received): 1701
Dislikes (Given): 37
Dislikes (Received): 44

I am not a huge toyota guy, but that FT1 look good.

Last edited by 69Mach351; 2014-01-13 at 11:12 AM..
69Mach351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-01-13, 11:25 AM   #54
69Mach351

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 262
Thanks (Received): 234
Likes (Given): 1792
Likes (Received): 1701
Dislikes (Given): 37
Dislikes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B View Post

It kind of sounds like you want a few different things. A sports care for the masses is going to be $35k-$40k or so. If you go much above $40k, you are going to run into cars that have power and handle well (I don't get why the focus needs to be on one or the other, the two are not mutually exclusive). To play with anything in the $40k+ range, you are looking at 400hp minimum and it goes up from there. At $50k, I would expect 450-500hp. Just my opinion though. They already got their cheap handling car in the FR-S.

Last edited by 69Mach351; 2014-01-13 at 11:30 AM..
69Mach351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-01-22, 06:44 PM   #55
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly.

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO0T-eb1jrI

Unread 2014-01-22, 07:55 PM   #56
pynikal

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 465
Thanks (Received): 87
Likes (Given): 1204
Likes (Received): 394
Dislikes (Given): 128
Dislikes (Received): 22

I like the fact that they called the driver "a projectile" never really thought about it that way. You get in a car that is that good and you are kinda just alone for the ride and are in fact a projectile.

I just think that they need to do something a little different with the front. Its a bit to funky for me, but all the lines, and angles are functional so maybe it will grow on me.

Really curious about power plant in this thing. Maybe small displacement high revving V8 4.0 or something.
Unread 2014-01-22, 08:08 PM   #57
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

if this moves to production (which they would want) the other FT concepts got toned down a lot look at the FRS/BRZ throughout the whole concept process

Unread 2014-02-10, 11:26 AM   #58
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Toyota FT-1 concept previews next Supra, sub GT86 model in the works - report

Toyota FT-1 concept live in Chicago

Coming in 2016

Automotive journalist Peter Lyon says Toyota's FT-1 concept represents a preview of a long-awaited Supra revival.
Toyota unveiled the striking FT-1 concept in January at the North American International Auto Show and they said it will remain strictly a concept set to be showcased in virtual form in Gran Turismo 6. Now, Peter Lyon says Toyota is working on a new Supra which will essentially be a production variant of the FT-1 concept with a hybrid powertrain consisting of a V6 2.5-liter turbocharged engine working with an electric motor to offer a combined output of more than 402 bhp (300 kW).
The new Supra will feature a rear-wheel drive layout with a LFA-derived rear transaxle and Toyota allegedly plans on launching the model sometime in 2016. It should cost less than 100,000 USD and there will also be a base variant with a Lexus NX-sourced 4-cylinder, 2.0-liter turbocharged gasoline engine.
A year later Toyota will introduce a new entry-level sportscar to slot under the GT86 which will adopt a hybrid setup with a 1.5-liter engine gasoline engine and an electric motor. This model will reportedly cost only 16,000 USD and together with the resurrected Supra will pave the way for a new range of sportscars from Toyota that will probably be co-developed with BMW.

Unread 2014-02-10, 03:38 PM   #59
MountainDew

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 282
Thanks (Received): 170
Likes (Given): 387
Likes (Received): 803
Dislikes (Given): 344
Dislikes (Received): 87

I don't really care, I just hope it drives down MKIV prices. I will own one someday.. I've wanted one for 10 years now and my desire to own one hasn't change if anything grown stronger. However with the possibility to import R32s now it's going to be a tougher choice later down the road.
Likes DownhillMR2 liked this post
Dislikes CosmosM3 disliked this post
MountainDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-02-10, 03:56 PM   #60
icemangsr

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 66
Likes (Given): 264
Likes (Received): 421
Dislikes (Given): 3
Dislikes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pynikal View Post
I like the fact that they called the driver "a projectile" never really thought about it that way. You get in a car that is that good and you are kinda just alone for the ride and are in fact a projectile.

I just think that they need to do something a little different with the front. Its a bit to funky for me, but all the lines, and angles are functional so maybe it will grow on me.

Really curious about power plant in this thing. Maybe small displacement high revving V8 4.0 or something.
I'd actaully hope not. I would like to see another turbo inline 6 paying tribute to the Supra, but with some serious technological upgrades to it, and a proper 6 speed manual gearbox.
"The value of life can be measured by how many times your soul has been deeply stirred." - Soichiro Honda.
Wife had abs like Paula Patton

icemangsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-02-10, 04:03 PM   #61
MountainDew

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 282
Thanks (Received): 170
Likes (Given): 387
Likes (Received): 803
Dislikes (Given): 344
Dislikes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemangsr View Post
I'd actaully hope not. I would like to see another turbo inline 6 paying tribute to the Supra, but with some serious technological upgrades to it, and a proper 6 speed manual gearbox.
The V160 seems pretty solid to me.
Unread 2014-02-17, 12:26 PM   #62
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Toyota Renews Supra Trademark

The FT-1 concept launched at last month's Detroit Auto Show gave us the clearest idea yet of what a new Toyota Supra might look like--one of the motoring world's most eagerly-anticipated sports cars. While Toyota didn't reveal it at the time, it's now pretty much confirmed that the FT-1 will--with a few tweaks here and there--become the next generation of the famous sports car lineage.

What was less clear is whether Toyota would resurrect the Supra name itself, but a new trademark filing, first spotted by The Motor Report, pretty much guarantees it. Filed on February 10 with the United States Patent and Trademark Office, Toyota has registered the character mark "Supra". It's a sign that not only will buyers likely see the powerful front-engined, rear-drive sports car they've been waiting for from Toyota soon, but it should carry the right name too, revered from Japanese Super GT through Gran Turismo games through Fast & Furious films.
The production Supra is rumored to offer two drivetrains; a turbocharged four-cylinder and a hybrid model utilizing a 2.5-liter V-6 and electric motor combo, developing more than 400 horsepower. It'll also be a rear-drive, transaxle vehicle, and could potentially sit on a new sports car platform being co-developed with BMW. The new Supra will sit at the top of a three-tier tree of Toyota sports cars, above the GT 86/FR-S and an upcoming smaller sports car.

Unread 2014-07-11, 10:04 AM   #63
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

The announcement of the BMW-Toyota partnership has been as perplexing as it is exciting. Nothing solid has come of the deal yet, but it's supplied the world with scores of crazy rumors. But a new report in Nikkei Asia Review may be the most solid one yet. It also heralds the return of the Toyota Supra.

The Nikkei reported today that Toyota and BMW are working on a new sports car platform. We knew that, but it's the details that matter: this platform will underpin the next BMW Z4 and a revival of the Toyota Supra. The two cars could go on sale as early as 2017.
Unlike the deal with Subaru and Toyota that resulted in the FR-S/GT86/BRZ, these two cars will have different bodies, the newspaper says. (No word on what they'll look like — perhaps they'll take cues from the Toyota FT-1 concept above.) The Supra's "strong fan base" sparked the reason for the new one, it says.
The Supra name could come back. That's a huge deal. Frankly, Toyota is stupid not to bring it back. There's a ton of equity in that name, especially among people who grew up in the 1990s and lusted after them back then. It means a lot to buyers from that generation, myself included.
Unfortunately, the report goes into no further detail about what the new cars will be like. Still, the fact that the Supra and Z4 will be joined at the hip — if that is correct, of course — should allow us to dismiss a lot of rumors about mid-engined cars, expensive halo cars, cheap sports cars, or a Toyobaru replacement.
The current Z4 starts at about $50,000 and has both four- and inline six-cylinder power and, of course, rear-wheel drive. All of that sounds pretty appropriate for a new Supra to me. Let's hope it holds true.

Unread 2014-07-18, 03:44 PM   #64
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

A source familiar with the product plans of Toyota and Lexus confirmed to Motor Trend that the Toyota FT-1 concept essentially previews the next-gen BMW Z4 and an as yet unnamed Toyota coupe, possibly the next Supra. The two cars will share a platform, but will be styled very differently. As we previously reported, Toyota's technical partnership with BMW will yield one sports car for each automaker, similar to the tie-up with Subaru that produced the FR-S and BRZ. BMW will lead manufacturing, as it has a steady supply of carbon fiber from its Moses Lake, Wash.-based SGL plant. The BMW Z4 will use a carbon fiber tub similar to that of the i3 and i8. Our source tells us a two-seat roadster will be first, possibly with a power retractable hardtop, with an M version to follow. As we've heard before, the Toyota version will be far less exotic compared to the FT-1, and perhaps even less stylized than the Z4 to differentiate the two. Powertrains are still unknown, but with BMW handling the carbon fiber bodies, engine development could fall on Toyota if engines are shared at all. In other Toyota coupe news, it appears it may be awhile before we see another sporty two-door from Lexus. Rumors have swirled since the Lexus LF-LC's 2012 Detroit debut that a production model was greenlit. But even if the luxury sports coupe was given the go-ahead, it won't hit the market for at least two years unless production is expedited, our source tells us. We last heard that the car was a go, and that it would receive several LFA design cues. Whether the production version retains the concept's hybrid drivetrain remains to be seen.

Unread 2014-07-18, 07:36 PM   #65
bimmertech

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 42
Likes (Given): 71
Likes (Received): 208
Dislikes (Given): 2
Dislikes (Received): 3

wow, a carbon tubbed z4. sounds like they want to move it up market.
bimmertech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-07-18, 08:04 PM   #66
mild83

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 925
Thanks (Received): 335
Likes (Given): 6333
Likes (Received): 2729
Dislikes (Given): 128
Dislikes (Received): 131

That picture looks fucking awful.

My money is that toyota totally goes a different direction than the MKIV and purists will cry like bitches, no matter how great the car is.

But if it looks like that picture, it will likely drive MKIV prices even higher.
mild83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-07-25, 10:46 PM   #67
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

New Toyota Supra Powertrain Details Emerge

Toyota FT-1 concept, 2014 Detroit Auto Show

Toyota has teamed up with BMW to develop a new sports car platform that will underpin a new Supra from the Japanese automaker and a replacement for the Z4 from the German side. BMW is thought to be doing most of the development work for the platform and engines that will power the cars, in return for hybrid and fuel cell technology from Toyota.

Citing an inside source at Toyota, Japanese magazine Holiday Auto (via Motoring) claims the new Supra will feature a complex hybrid system combining a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine sourced from BMW with a trio of electric motors. In similar fashion to Acura’s new NSX, the new Supra will feature an electric motor at each of the front wheels and a third electric motor integrated with the engine and transmission.

The setup was previewed in last year’s Yaris Hybrid-R concept and a beefier version is featured in Toyota’s TS040 Hybrid Le Mans prototype. Incredibly, the setup relies on a supercapacitor to store electrical energy and this is expected to feature in the new Supra. A charging port will allow owners to plug the car into an electrical outlet, making the new Supra a plug-in hybrid. Peak output of the system is expected to be more than 350 horsepower, which might not sound like much but you have to factor in that the target weight for the car is less than 3,086 pounds.

Despite a previous report claiming the BMW sports car will also get the technology, it’s now thought that the new Supra will be the only recipient. This makes sense in terms of vehicle differentiation: Toyota goes the all-wheel-drive, hybrid route for the new Supra, while BMW sticks with conventional powertrains (in-line four- and six-cylinder units) and rear-wheel drive for its Z4 replacement. Note, some suggest the Z4 replacement will be badged a Z5 to reflect its higher positioning in the BMW lineup and to leave room for a potential smaller roadster.

Both cars are expected to be revealed before 2017. Not much is known about the styling of the BMW, but for the Supra we can expect a look inspired by the lines of the FT-1 concept car unveiled earlier this year.

Unread 2014-07-26, 09:59 AM   #68
Honda Nick

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 8
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 29
Likes (Received): 89
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 1

That powertrain doesn't sound "tuner friendly" to me.
Unread 2014-07-26, 10:29 AM   #69
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 207
Thanks (Received): 252
Likes (Given): 2471
Likes (Received): 1665
Dislikes (Given): 24
Dislikes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Nick View Post
That powertrain doesn't sound "tuner friendly" to me.
I dunno really anything about hybrid motors... I wonder if it would be possible to modify the gas engine (either lightly or radically) without interfering with how the electric component operates? If so, it may be pretty cool; drive around town on the dirty cheap using the electric motor, then press the go fast button, gas motor kicks in, ludicrous speed go!

I have no clue what I'm talking about though.
Keboh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-07-26, 10:34 AM   #70
xXSTi-lynXx

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 212
Likes (Given): 1180
Likes (Received): 988
Dislikes (Given): 67
Dislikes (Received): 81

Yep, sounds like toyota is going to blow it.
My guess is it won't be long before almost every high performance vehicle uses a similar hybrid system.
I just imagine the future- tuners standing around in parking lots checking out eachothers shit sizing cars up.

Instead of: "How much boost you running? or how big of turbo is it got?"

Its going to be: "which motors did you upgrade to?? How many amps they running?"

2005 AW STi Stage 2 w/ E85 -324whp 378wft/lbs - Casper
2002 Toyota tacoma TRD
xXSTi-lynXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-07-26, 10:38 AM   #71
xXSTi-lynXx

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 212
Likes (Given): 1180
Likes (Received): 988
Dislikes (Given): 67
Dislikes (Received): 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keboh View Post
I dunno really anything about hybrid motors... I wonder if it would be possible to modify the gas engine (either lightly or radically) without interfering with how the electric component operates? If so, it may be pretty cool; drive around town on the dirty cheap using the electric motor, then press the go fast button, gas motor kicks in, ludicrous speed go!

I have no clue what I'm talking about though.
If they use the same bmw 3 cyl that bmw uses in the i8, it is going to be pretty hard to unleash more horses, as the turbo 1.5 L motor is already pumping out 228hp and 236ft/lbs

2005 AW STi Stage 2 w/ E85 -324whp 378wft/lbs - Casper
2002 Toyota tacoma TRD
xXSTi-lynXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-07-26, 11:15 AM   #72
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 207
Thanks (Received): 252
Likes (Given): 2471
Likes (Received): 1665
Dislikes (Given): 24
Dislikes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXSTi-lynXx View Post
If they use the same bmw 3 cyl that bmw uses in the i8, it is going to be pretty hard to unleash more horses, as the turbo 1.5 L motor is already pumping out 228hp and 236ft/lbs
From the last JDLM update post:

Quote:
Citing an inside source at Toyota, Japanese magazine Holiday Auto (via Motoring) claims the new Supra will feature a complex hybrid system combining a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine sourced from BMW with a trio of electric motors. In similar fashion to Acura’s new NSX, the new Supra will feature an electric motor at each of the front wheels and a third electric motor integrated with the engine and transmission.
I am speaking on total and complete ignorance on the topic, though. Seriously, I am in pipe dream mode right now.

...don't take that the wrong way
Keboh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-08-14, 05:51 PM   #73
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Toyota reveals new versions of FT-1 concept at Pebble Beach [w/video]

Toyota certainly caught our attention when it unveiled the FT-1 concept at the Detroit Auto Show last January. Coming from the same people who gave us the Lexus LFA, Scion FR-S and Toyota Supra, the FT-1 concept looked striking in its bright red livery. But the Japanese automaker isn't quite done with it yet.

No, we're afraid we don't have a production announcement to share at the moment, but Toyota has revealed two new versions of the FT-1 concept that cast it in different light. Most notable is the graphite version pictured above. Replacing the bright red paintjob and two-tone red and black interior of the original concept, this second iteration – presented in the metal at McCall's Motorworks Revival in Monterey, CA – goes for a more upscale and refined graphite exterior and a tan leather interior with exposed metal elements.

Both versions of the virtually road-going FT-1 concept will be playable in Gran Turismo 6, but at the same time Toyota also revealed (in digital form, at least) a virtual racing version of the concept called the FT-1 Vision Gran Turismo. Looking like the original concept was prepared for Japan's Super GT series, the FT-1 Vision GT is retuned for racing, with wider fenders, more extreme aero, competition-spec alloys on slicks and the like.

Check out the race-ready digital concept in the video below, our live shots from the graphite concept's reveal at Pebble Beach in the gallery above and the galleries of both new versions at bottom for a closer look.
Show full PR text

Quote:
Do A Double Take with Second Stunning Toyota FT-1 Sports Car Concept

- Saddle Leather Interior Communicates Premium, Sporty Feel
- Superhero Inspiration in Performance Leather and Details
- Ultra High-Performance Race Version Coming Virtually to Gran Turismo® 6

August 13, 2014
TORRANCE, Calif. (Aug. 13, 2014) – Proof that its beauty lies on the inside and out, Toyota revealed today a second interior styling and exterior color for an upscale interpretation of its sensational FT-1 sports car concept. Developed by Calty Design Research in Newport Beach, California, the concept vehicle's graphite exterior paint and light, saddle-colored leather went on display for the first time at the Gordon McCall's Motorworks Revival gala held on California's Monterey Peninsula.

The original FT-1 concept ignited sports car enthusiasts and the automotive world with its January debut at the North American International Auto Show. Labeled the spiritual pace car for the new direction of Toyota Global Design, the muscular, curved exterior builds on Toyota's rich sports coupe heritage dating back to the 2000GT, Celica, Supra, MR2 and most recently Scion FR-S. That first vehicle stunned in a bold red, while this second FT-1 impresses with sophisticated graphite. Both share the deeply sculpted intakes and outlets that support its track-ready nature and the dramatic lines seemingly shaped by the wind. It's a look that gets the heart racing.

The color of the upscale leather changes between the first and second FT-1 vehicles, and the visual difference is striking. The first car was dominated by bold, masculine black that keeps the driver focused on the road, while red painted edges and raw metals provide intriguing accents. In the second, the natural leather on the seat is supple with an all-natural grain, giving it an authentic appeal. The painted edges that are red in the first concept are now subtly blended brown in the second. The intention is to bring in a more sophisticated feel and authenticity through color choice, showcasing the versatility of the FT-1 sports car concept. Enthusiasts who desire a more pure high-performance experience might choose the black-red pairing, while others may desire the premium, athletic feel of the saddle leather.

"From the start of the FT-1 project, we wanted the driver to have a feeling of flow while at the wheel – to be able to focus on the road and nothing else," said Sellene Lee, the Calty creative designer who proposed both color concepts. "In the color studio we help create the atmosphere of the vehicle, and our aim was to ensure everything supported the driver through efficient choices. The saddle leather maintains that same 'in the zone' driving intention, while bringing in a more premium feeling."

Superhero Inspiration for the Interior

Sellene Lee drew inspiration for the FT-1 interior from the modern, high-tech performance materials used for today's superhero costumes. A movie poster drew her attention to the modern shift from past heroes' bright tights and colors to today's performance fabrics and function. To achieve the FT-1's advanced-looking, intricately detailed interior, Sellene Lee and the team compared leather thicknesses, grain sizes and textures to find the perfect combination. Raised metal mesh provides ventilation for the seats while lending a more textural, bold effect that beautifully matches with the metal accents. A dimensional embossed pattern on the instrument panel leather brings in a 3-D, technical look.

"From color and trim standpoint in the FT-1, there was a laser-like focus on staying true to function," said Wendy Lee, studio chief designer at Calty. "This project was very special, as the FT-1 stands apart in its performance-driven, authentic purpose."

Beyond her superhero performance material concept, Sellene Lee moved away from the typical stitching or piping edge treatment found in many vehicle interiors. The painted red edges on the welded leather and painted brown edges on the second FT-1 were inspired by high-end leather bags she found in an upscale department store. When drivers sit in FT-1, they can feel the difference in materials, textures and color choices that resulted from the team's work.

Double the Fun in Gran Turismo 6

This September, two new versions of the FT-1 will be available for download virtually inside Gran Turismo 6 (GT6), the latest iteration of the best-selling racing franchise exclusively on PlayStation®3. Like the red FT-1 introduced in January, the graphite FT-1 concept roars onto the Gran Turismo 6 racetrack as a downloadable vehicle for a limited time. Additionally, in celebration of the 15th anniversary of the Gran Turismo series, Calty has also designed an ultra high-performance race version of the FT-1 that inside the game is called the FT-1 "Vision GT." This high-powered version interprets what a full-race FT-1 might achieve on the track. See how the FT-1 Vision GT came to life by watching this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuXFyCHp59w

The GT6 played an important role in helping key executives (including Toyota President Akio Toyoda) better experience the FT-1 concept prior to building the vehicle. Both virtual versions capture the same excitement, passion and performance the physical FT-1 vehicles inspire in those who see them.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly.

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuXFyCHp59w

Related GalleryToyota FT-1 Graphite

Related GalleryToyota FT-1 Vision Gran Turismo

Unread 2014-11-12, 06:37 PM   #74
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Toyota Supra Successor To Cost More Than Corvette: Report

Toyota FT-1 concept

Toyota is working with BMW on a new sports car platform that will eventually be used by the Japanese automaker for a Supra successor, which has been previewed by the series of FT-1 concept cars. BMW has been quiet on its plans for the platform but is currently thought to be using it for a replacement for its Z4. While both cars are still a couple of years away—their respective reveals should take place before 2017—we now have some information that may hint at the price tags we can expect for them.

Car and Driver, citing an inside source, is reporting that Toyota’s new sports car will likely cost more than a Corvette, which starts at about $55k with shipping. This would make sense if Toyota’s new sports car comes with an advanced hybrid system, as is the rumored case, but would seem rather expensive if the car ends up getting a more conventional powertrain.

This also raises the question of what kind of money BMW’s new sports car will demand. It’s very likely that the BMW will sell at a premium to the Toyota but such pricing would make the car more of a rival for the Jaguar F-Type and entry-level Porsche 911 variants than a direct replacement for the Z4, which starts at just below $50k.

If accurate, then BMW’s new sports car is likely to be positioned higher than the current Z4, which would tie in with reports that the new car may be labeled a Z5 and feature improved performance in line with its higher positioning.

Unread 2014-11-12, 10:53 PM   #75
autoxgalant72

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 335
Likes (Received): 72
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 3

I have a feeling they are going to produce this, not sell near their target due to the high price and the even higher price to tune it and throw up their hands and say nobody wants sports cars. Which is far from the truth, however that market needs to fall with the corvette, if it where up to me I'd shoot for that. Starting price a touch above 50k, then for the 80-90k mark have a hotter version of it to shoot for the hotter corvette variants. Have a 6 spd manual option, and use a torque splitter for the auto versions as the hybrid design.

Its fantastic that they can throw this kind of tech at a vehicle to make it perform the way they do, however if your goal is sales it puts you into a very narrow and competitive market.

They also need something to fill in just above the FRS, for someone who wants an honest to god sports car and wants more than an FRS but doesn't have the 100k that most of the high end range has been falling into.

I mean think about it, what are your options if your top range is around 45k and you are looking for a sports car for track days, autocross, that isn't a waste of time at the drag strip? Excluding the continuously heavier, and heavier mustang, camaro, and challenger, all that comes to mind is the 370z. Their are sporty cars, but not more traditional sports cars.

#72 sm
'91 Volvo 244Ti '72 Suzuki GT380
'88 745 waiting to be unveiled!
autoxgalant72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2018, bmw z4, re-birth, toyota supra