Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > Automotive Forums > The Automotive Lounge

Unread 2013-12-27, 11:46 AM   #51
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

BMW M235i with Alpine White paintjob spotted in Germany

2014 BMW M235i / BimmerToday.de

Packs 326 HP

A BMW M235i wearing an Alpine White paint has been photographed on the streets of Germany, ahead of the car's market launch scheduled for March.
Until a fully-fledged M2 will be out, the M235i will serve as the range-topping model in the 2-Series lineup and will have a starting price in Germany of 43,750 EUR when equipped with a six-speed manual gearbox or 46,000 EUR with the eight-speed automatic.
The vehicle seen in these live photos had an Alpine White exterior paint scheme and was parked on a street in Germany. At its heart is an inline-six 3.0-liter TwinPower Turbo gasoline engine delivering 326 HP (240 kW) and 322 lb-ft (450 Nm). It does 0-62 mph (0-100 km/h) in 4.8 seconds (5s with the manual) and can hit an electronically-capped top speed of 155 mph (250 km/h).

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-01-15, 06:49 PM   #52
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Monday marked the official, live unveiling of the 2014 BMW 2 Series. Not a company to rest on its laurels, BMW has unveiled the online configurator for the replacement to the much-loved 1 Series. Potential customers can select from either the 228i or go all-out and get the M235i. We shouldn't have to explain which car we've been building all day.

As a recap, a base 228i starts at $32,100 not counting a $925 destination charge. It includes 240 horsepower, 258 pound-feet of torque and, when optioned with the six-speed manual rather than the eight-speed automatic, a perfect 50/50 weight distribution (the 8AT balances at 50.3 in front and 49.7 in back). The M235i, meanwhile, starts at $43,100 (although you can't actually buy one for that, because the configurator forces you into a $1,450 Dakota leather interior). It offers up significantly more grunt, with 320 hp and 320 lb-ft from its 3.0-liter, turbocharged straight six.

Click over to the configurator and play around.

Unread 2014-01-15, 07:06 PM   #53
KUweatherman
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 402
Thanks (Received): 363
Likes (Given): 4967
Likes (Received): 2124
Dislikes (Given): 121
Dislikes (Received): 174

$43k for a base M235i? LOL.
Unread 2014-01-15, 09:26 PM   #54
babymobilss
Information Police

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 39
Thanks (Received): 145
Likes (Given): 236
Likes (Received): 818
Dislikes (Given): 34
Dislikes (Received): 23

Seems really expensive, especially like Mercedes that advertised the CLA at under $30k it's impossible to find one for that price. The dealers load up on well optioned models. I wonder if a base C7 with employee pricing and inevitable rebates could be had for same price as 235i
Unread 2014-01-15, 10:04 PM   #55
Dave B

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 133
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 998
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymobilss View Post
I wonder if a base C7 with employee pricing and inevitable rebates could be had for same price as 235i
You'll be wondering for a long time.
Dave B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-01-20, 10:08 AM   #56
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

M2 Coupe “makes a lot of sense” according to BMW insider, due in 2016 - report

BMW M2 artist rendering

Could have 380 bhp

A source close to BMW has reportedly said a fully-fledged M2 Coupe "makes a lot of sense."
Auto Express participated at the M235i's UK launch and found out from a BMW insider that an M2 Coupe "makes a lot of sense." The same source indicated BMW considered a road-legal version of the M235i Racing at one point but in the end plans were axed because that model would have stepped "on the toes of something else higher up in the range." He was referring to a range-topping M2 which the Bavarian marque is allegedly planning.
The M235i Coupe is currently the flagship model of the newly established 2-Series family thanks to its inline-six TwinPower Turbo 3.0-liter engine outputting 326 HP (240 kW). The M2 Coupe is rumored to use the same engine but upgraded to 380 HP (279 kW) so it will fit quite nicely between the M235i and the 431 HP M3/M4.
Aside from the additional oomph, the BMW M2 is said to receive some chassis tech from its larger siblings (M3 and M4) including the Active M Differential. An Adaptive M Suspension probably won't be offered as standard kit since BMW will try to keep the price tag down to make the model more attractive.
The 1-Series M Coupe successor is expected to come out sometime in 2016.

Unread 2014-01-20, 10:38 AM   #57
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly.

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ2YmBc2ZG8

I remember it like it was yesterday.

The eagerly awaited 2011 BMW 1M was confirmed for production and I finally had a chance to slip behind the wheel and take it for a spin. It didn't take long before I realized it was one of my favorite BMW experiences in a long time.

Don't get me wrong, BMW makes great products but they're not the same as they used to be. As the organization chases more market share, it caters to a more luxury-like ride and less of the Spartan, sporty quality.

BUT, the 1M brought it back. Unfortunately the car was made in VERY limited quantities — supposedly less than 800 are roaming the States — and it was only made for the 2011 model year.

This is where the M235i comes in. As the theoretical "follow up" to the 1M, it's received RAVE reviews abroad — at least the M135i has. So, can it continue that success?

Our very own Agent 001 was on hand in Las Vegas to find out. Check out what he thought in the video below.

Unread 2014-01-20, 06:57 PM   #58
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Not only is the BMW M235i the brand's first M Performance model offered in the United States, it also represents the next step in a general realignment of the automaker's lineup. For enthusiasts, the M235i seeks to answer their pleas for a more affordable sporty BMW - although the definition of "affordable" clearly varies by pocketbook.

Despite its new nameplate, the 2-Series is actually sized about like the 3-Series was a decade or so ago. In fact, the M235i's parallels to the company's third-generation M3, the E46 that arrived here in 2001, are impossible to ignore: Similar horsepower, an almost identical footprint and, generally, the same mission in life: To please drivers.

Then again, so did the original 2002 of the late 1960s, a model credited with beginning a sports sedan segment now entering its fifth decade. BMW is hardly being shy about drawing comparisons to that sporting two-door in its advertising campaigns for the 2-Series. None of those were inexpensive cars when new and, well, neither is the M235i.

M "lite"
Following in the footsteps of the larger 4-Series that arrived last fall as a more style-oriented coupe sibling to the automaker's eponymous 3-Series sedan, the 2-Series slots in as an entry-level coupe. Eventually, American buyers will also be offered a new 1-Series sedan.

A simpler way of looking at things: The 2-Series replaces the 1-Series coupe.

Two variants of the 2-Series will be offered in the U.S.: The 228i, powered by a 240-horsepower 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine and the M235i, which utilizes a 320-horsepower twin-scroll turbocharged 3.0-liter inline six-cylinder motor. Fuel economy hasn't been announced, but BMW is targeting 35 mpg highway for the 228i and 32 mpg for the M235i.

The 228i, which we haven't had the opportunity to drive, stickers for $32,100 and offers two extra-cost sport suspension setups. The M235i, meanwhile, comes in just one suspension configuration for $43,100. Our modestly-optioned test car was loaded up to about $49,000.

But it's the M235i that BMW offers up to its more hardened enthusiasts. Its six-cylinder engine is an uprated variant of the powertrain offered in virtually every BMW, but what really sets the M235i apart is its taut underpinnings, sport-tuned electric power steering and upgraded brakes. Moreover, a wide range of M Performance accessories will be offered - including, uniquely, a dealer-installed mechanical limited slip rear differential.

A six-speed manual short-throw manual gearbox comes as standard equipment on the M235i, but, perhaps tellingly, all of the models BMW had on hand for us to sample in Las Vegas were equipped with an optional eight-speed automatic transmission.

Right at home
Clearly a BMW product, the M235i boasts a number of the brand's signature design cues: A widened kidney-style grille, "halo" running lights, a low belt line and, generally, a restrained outlook. Riding on a lowered suspension and 18-inch wheels, the M235i has a decidedly more sporting stance than the 228i.

Like the 1-Series coupe that preceded it, the 2-Series has a relatively airy greenhouse and a short decklid, traits BMW says it inherited from the classic 2002.

Inside, the 2-Series is a clear evolution of the outgoing 1. It clear and logically-arrayed dashboard offers few surprises to anyone who has been in a recent BMW product. We were, however, rather disappointed with the hard plastic BMW uses on the 2's lower dashboard and center console, which seems out of place on a car that can easily exceed $50,000 with a few options added.

Space has been improved. Trunk volume is up slightly, while the front driver and passenger have a little more stretch-out room. Naturally, BMW's iDrive infotainment system is on board. Recent refinements to the navigation include the ability to "type" in navigation commands via a touchpad mounted to the top of the system's control knob. Although still too menu-intensive for our tastes, iDrive is notable for its excellent high-resolution display.

On the road
Slotting one of our favorite powertrains into a relatively trim 3,400 lbs. coupe is bound to work well - and it does. This smooth and torquey six-cylinder combines with the fast-shifting automatic gearbox to net a sub-5 second 0-60 mph sprint, BMW says.

Frankly, it feels even faster, especially given that its 320 lb-ft. of torque comes on in full force at just 1,450 rpm. Stomp on the throttle at any speed and, with little delay, the eight speed selects the right cog and the M235i vaults forward.

Left in standard mode, the M235i will comfortably lope along at city speeds. Turn up the wick with Sport or Sport+ modes accessed via a console-mounted rocker switch and it really comes alive. Those modes offer faster throttle response and quicker shifts, plus revisions to the electric power steering to improve control.

That electrified tiller serves up pleasingly direct and fast response with little of the on-center slack that has bothered us in other BMWs. Road feel ultimately trails the outgoing 135is, which this car effectively replaces, but it's clear that BMW is making progress in this department.

On the other hand, the M235i's suspension is a huge leap forward. Although hardly revolutionary - a strut-type setup up front followed by a five-link system out back - the tuning is far more compliant than the hard-riding 135is. On a winding road course, we noticed a little more body lean than BMWs used to offer, but that was countered by a generally neutral and highly controllable feel. In short, the M235i is an easy car to drive aggressively and its relatively high limits mean that owners who choose to do so will make the most of track days.

The nimble yet stable M235i is also appealing on the open road. Comfortable and nimble in the city, it proved remarkably stable and quiet at highway speeds. As an all-arounder, the M235i excels.

Leftlane's bottom line
Although not inexpensive once options are piled on, the BMW M235i is a home run for enthusiasts who relish their time behind the wheel.

It may not be quite as raw as M3 or 2002s it channels, but it represents a pleasant compromise between a daily driver comfortable demeanor and highly-focused track tenacity.

2014 BMW M235i base price, $43,100.

Unread 2014-01-20, 07:03 PM   #59
bimmertech

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 42
Likes (Given): 71
Likes (Received): 208
Dislikes (Given): 2
Dislikes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLM View Post

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ2YmBc2ZG8
drexler clutch type lsd, thank you!!!!!!

hopefully this is an assembly line option and not just a m-performance option.
bimmertech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-01-21, 04:01 PM   #60
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

2014 BMW M235i

But Will It Satisfy The E30 Purists?

Vital Stats

Engine:Turbo 3.0L I6Power:320 HP / 330 LB-FTTransmission:8-Speed Auto0-60 Time:4.8 SecondsTop Speed:155 MPH (limited)Drivetrain:Rear-Wheel DriveCurb Weight:3,535 LBSSeating:2+2Cargo:13.8 CU-FTMPG:22 City / 32 HWY (est.)Base Price:$44,025

We know a number of BMW owners who reside in the Munich brand's core demographic – upper-five- and six-figure professionals who like to keep their automotive brand credentials as highly respected among their peers as their alma maters or the letters after their names. Before heading to Las Vegas to drive the new M235i, we asked four of those owners, "What did you think of the E30 3 Series?" Although phrased differently, every one of them had the same answer: "What's that?"

You can counter that we just happened to query a tiny and ignorant sample size, and it's possible that you're right. Nevertheless, in every case,we were speaking to BMW's core demographic, the increasing legion of buyers who have fostered another year of record growth and are responsible for BMW retaining its global luxury title for nine straight years. Question that, and we'll refer you to BMW's marketing department, its several hundred PowerPoint slides and several thousand pages of research that prove the point.

That second-generation E30 3 Series built a name, a brand and an entire segment by defining BMW-ness as superlative driving dynamics meets luxury – shortened to the phrase, "The Ultimate Driving Machine." Thirty years later, just being a part of BMW-ness and luxury is enough for the majority of buyers. The superlative handling, that's optional, and 150 hairy guys meet every Tuesday to keep the old religion going, light torches, sing dirges to the siren long gone and bang on their keyboards about the apostasies of modern buyers.

The 2 Series is like an offering to them, akin to the philosophy of the 1 Series M in that it's all about restoring to the lineup a model that has light, fun, rear-wheel-drive handling as its core principle. This is the car that a hostage negotiator drives into that Tuesday-night meeting to tell those hairy dudes, "Here you go, we gave you what you wanted. So put the torches out, we have electricity now. And step away from the forums, please."

Of course it isn't everything they wanted. But it's pretty close, and it's rather good.

The size of the 2 Series hasn't changed dramatically from that of the 1 Series it replaces.
Actually, BMW went all the way back to the 1968 2002ti to source the inspiration for the M235i during the pre-drive presentation. It's better to take that as reminiscing about the return of the "2" moniker, not a return to the era-ago lightness of pre-power everything, pre-airbag, pre-five-star crash test.

The size of the 2 Series hasn't changed dramatically from that of the 1 Series it replaces, but in combination with the large number of detailing changes, there's a lot of daylight between the visual perception of the 1 and the 2. Compared to the 1 Series Coupe, the 2 is 3.8 inches longer, 1.3 inches wider, with a wheelbase that is 1.2 inches longer boasting tracks widened by 1.6 inches in front and back.

The 2 Series is much more impressive looking, however, having been handed over to a group of designers with chisels who took a day off from working their usual marble. The headlight edges have been sharpened at both ends, relinquishing the blunt inner and drooping outer edges of the 1 Series lamps. The four-eyed face is centered around a wider kidney grille, pushed forward and highlighted by the sculpted hood. The grille also sits above a redesigned bumper with sharper edging and chiseled intakes.

There's plenty of room in the forward cabin for all but NBA centers.
That bumper is 'roided up on the M235i, the fog lights in the outboard intakes on the standard car disappearing to make way for more air and Air Curtains that reduce turbulence over the front wheels. Multi-dimensional shoulder detailing down the sides add texture to the body then extend over the trailing lip of the decklid to enhance the impression of width in the back. At the bottom, more crisp lines at the edges of the rear bumpers mimic the intake edges at the front.

The extra girth and longer wheelbase grace the 2 Series with a little more headroom inside for front passengers and a little more legroom for back passengers. There's plenty of room in the forward cabin for all but NBA centers. The back seats are everything you can reasonably expect them to be: perfect for small humans, decent for the slight of frame, doable when need be for a standard American. When things get to the point, an easy-entry feature gets the front seats to slide all the way forward with the touch of a button.

Trunk capacity also gets a bump, going from 13 cubic feet to 13.8 cubic feet. Those might not sound like big numbers, but it's a nice trunk for a little car. The standard rear seatbacks fold 60:40, but you can order them in a 40:20:40 folding configuration. Put them down and the two people in front can carry enough gear for three or four people.

BMW says you'll dash from a standstill to 60 miles per hour in five seconds.
What will get those passengers going is a 3.0-liter, inline six-cylinder engine with TwinPower turbocharging good for 320 horsepower that shows up from 5,800 to 6,000 rpm, and 330 pound-feet of torque that enters from just 1,300 rpm. Get the short-throw, dry-sump six-speed manual transmission – at no extra charge – and BMW says you'll dash from a standstill to 60 miles per hour in five seconds. Stick with the standard eight-speed sport transmission with paddle shifters and use Launch Control and you'll do the same run in 4.8 seconds.

Putting power to the ground are MacPherson struts in front, refined in every way compared to the 1 Series, paired with a new five-link suspension in back. The Adaptive M suspension with electronically controlled shock absorbers is standard.

Our first driving route was a loop of the oval at the Las Vegas International Speedway. This being an international press launch, it was really a chance for the foreigners to drive on a uniquely American circuit. Even though we were instructed by our lead driver that we could get around the circuit at 100 mph without braking, we found we could actually get through the turns at a little above 110 mph without resorting to the brakes. Since we weren't asked to put on helmets, we figure BMW knew we could go a lot faster, but even at that speed, when you got to the straight and hit the gas you could be going well faster than 110 by the time the next turn came around. The engine doesn't give up at high speed or anywhere in the rev range. True, an oval isn't the best place to test any stock road car, but you can learn quite a bit about behavior under duress in oddball conditions, especially if – heaven forbid – you do have to lift off while careening through that 20-degree banking. The M235i did well.

The gearbox was the only disappointing part of our time on the track.
Next came three laps around an infield track that was tighter than we would have liked – more like a large autocross circuit, but with a number of turns and combinations that tested the enthusiast quotient. In Sport+ mode, the weighting of the electric power steering feels pretty even throughout, and it is rewardingly accurate. Turn off the traction control and you can get the back end to break away, and the rear tires don't stop communicating with you when they break traction – it's almost just as easy to place the back end as it is to place the front. You can feel the body's mass rock when running dogleg gauntlets at speed, but it happens quickly; the coupe simply yaws hard from right to left and then it's done, without interruption to your driving. The M Sport brakes – four-piston in front, two in back – are excellent, equally linear and powerful. The shebang isn't exactly light at 3,535 pounds with the automatic, but with a 50/50 weight distribution, good power delivery and excellent chassis tuning, it is flickable, predictable and corner-after-corner fun.

You have to shift for yourself to get to that fun, the gearbox, when left in automatic, being the only disappointing part of our time on the track. Even in Sport+ it never dropped down low enough to give us the punch we wanted out of corners, causing us to verify after several turns that we actually were in Sport+ mode. When the situation didn't change, we took hold of the paddles and all was as it should be, the coupe snorting out of corners properly and blazing on to its 7,000-rpm redline. It is strange that the paddle-shift-equipped sport transmission, which in other markets is an option above the six-speed automatic and the regular eight-speed transmission, isn't more sporty when left to handle gearchanges.

You're technically not walking out of the dealership for less than $44,025.
Our street-drive time was limited to a few miles on the highway in the passenger seat, and a few miles behind the wheel on the Las Vegas Strip during Friday rush-hour traffic. While we can't write exhaustive commentary on the 2'ers roadway manners, as far as we could tell you're not giving up any BMW-ness when you roll off the track. The steering wheel is meaty, the ride is smooth and, if you checked the appropriate boxes, then all of the right cockpit buttons and displays are where you expect them to be and work just as you'd expect them to. Two of the driving modes did get our attention in good ways. There is a noticeable difference in the whole feel of the car between Comfort and Sport, even from the passenger seat – the coupe goes at-the-ready, and the sensation is transmitted right up through the Dakota leather. At the other end, the Eco setting and its Efficient Dynamics assistants get points for helping you earn your green thumb without swiping undue amounts of power. When pulling away from a light or accelerating into traffic, you still feel like you're driving a properly powered car.

So how would our platonic enthusiast feel about the M235i? Well, it's not as light as he would like, but make no mistake, you can have a lot of fun in it. The real question about it is the starting price – and let's clarify that: the real question for we 150 hairy guys in a room is the starting price. It's not a question for BMW, because these are going to sell, and it's not a question for the ultra-hardcore enthusiast because he would never buy a new car. With an MSRP of $43,100 and $925 for destination, you're technically not walking out of the dealership for less than $44,025. Choose one of those six metallic paints that add $550 (and one non-metallic, Alpine White, that can be had for free) and Dakota Leather for $1,450, and you're at $46,025. Want a limited-slip differential? That will be an option (the cars we drove weren't equipped with it). We were told pricing hadn't been set yet, but let's say it's $3,000. That gets us up to $49,025 for an enthusiast special with a six-speed transmission, no navigation, no keyless entry, no premium stereo, no heated seats. If you want the M Sport braking system with its larger, perforated discs or the lowered and stiffened M Sport suspension, you'll need to keep adding numbers.

We thought it a shame we didn't get a chance to try the $33,025 228i.
We thought it a shame we didn't get a chance to try the $33,025 228i and its 2.0-liter four-cylinder with 240 hp and 255 lb-ft, simply to see how close it could get to the spirit and the experience of the M235i. You'd miss the gumption and the bolstered bits, but the 228i is 245 pounds lighter comparing manual to manual, and the great thing about fun-and-light is that it's not price dependent. Plus, there's a lot of room for upgrades with the $11,000 retail difference.

That $49K is a chunk of cash, but BMW knows this: taking luxury and brand into consideration, where else are you going to find a rear-wheel-drive, fun-to-drive, light-ish four-seater with ample trunk space that's comparably heavy on the luxury and also nice to be in when you're just headed to work or Waffle House? The all-wheel-drive Audi TTS that can't be had with a manual or back seats starts at $48,700. The lighter, less powerful yet totally enjoyable Audi S3 might be priced a few thou below the M235i, but it's also all-wheel drive and the chances of a manual transmission are super slim. You'll need $48,375 just to get a Mercedes CLA45 AMG off the lot, and it's nothing like this. After that you've got... Bueller?

Take luxury and brand out of the consideration and you've got more options – but do that and you could eliminate entire segments and brands from any consideration, ever. Or take "Must be showroom new" out of the running, then the M235i – again, along with entire segments and brands – makes hardly any sense. Compare all the boxes it does check, though, and if you're looking for something a lot like the M235i, then there's a good chance you're looking exactly for the M235i.

Unread 2014-01-21, 04:06 PM   #61
KUweatherman
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Such a good looking car, but dat price.
Unread 2014-01-21, 06:15 PM   #62
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

2014 BMW M235i Coupe

A past perfect conjugation of M3.

With apologies to George Santayana and high school history teachers everywhere, those who can remember the past are the ones who have been condemned to repeat it, at least among a certain segment of BMW 3-series cognoscenti. You know them by the tarnish on their Roundels, the newest of which are now eight model years old and at least two generations obsolete.
BMW knows them for their unwillingness to replace these beloved E36 and E46 Bimmers with the larger, and in management’s view, much-improved successors. This uniquely American cohort perplexes the Germans because such refusal to march in lockstep with product planning comes despite—or perhaps because of—their self-avowed passion for the brand. The 2014 2-series coupe is Munich’s latest and best attempt to bring this crowd back into the fold.
This is not the first time management has extended an olive branch. BMW cast the 1-series in a similar role at its 2008 debut, and the 2-series will serve as that car’s direct replacement when it hits dealerships in March. The new coupe is both larger and more attractive, echoing some of the styling of the 4-series, particularly in the hood and the body’s wider haunches. The 2-series is nearly three inches longer than was the 1-series, and its wheelbase has been stretched by more than an inch. The small two-door still has an upright and somewhat awkward greenhouse, but the roof now tapers more rapidly rearward. While this revised profile allows for an additional 0.7 inch of headroom up front, almost that much is sacrificed in the back seat. These changes contribute less to the improved aesthetics than does the elimination of that droopy line connecting the wheel wells along the bottom sides of the old 1-series. That BMW engineers referred to it as the “pig line” says enough.

Family Matters
The result is a car that is unmistakably a BMW, even if it’s not gorgeous, which should be fine for the audience it’s courting. More important to disaffected 3-series fans is that the 2-series is dimensionally close to their beloved E36 and E46, with the notable exception of curb weight. Indeed, BMW says the U.S.-spec M235i reviewed here tips the scales at more than 3500 pounds. Its architectural similarity to the current 3- and 4-series, with which it shares an engine compartment and front crash structure, makes this number as unsurprising as it is disappointing.
Yet the power-to-weight ratio is still impressive, thanks to the turbocharged N55 inline-six that nestles in those familiar confines, making 320 horsepower and 330 lb-ft of torque. A quick-shifting eight-speed automatic with wheel-mounted paddles and a launch-control program is standard, although a six-speed manual can be swapped in at no cost, save for the time it dings the 0-to-60-mph sprint. (Remember when choosing the manual saved you money?) Either way, we expect the M235i to crack five seconds, which would make it roughly as quick as an E46 M3. With a base price of $44,025, it will be less expensive than that M3 was when it launched 14 years ago.
If you’re wondering why then the M235i isn’t just called the M2, you likely haven’t noticed how finely the Bavarians have begun slicing their sausage. The M235i represents the first M Performance BMW model to arrive on our shores. These are cars with more power and improved braking and handling, yet they are still a measure short of true M cars. (They are separate, too, from other performance models like last year’s 135is coupe.) BMW says this ultimate distinction is delineated by differences in the structure, such as the carbon-fiber roof of the new M3 and M4. A front fascia robbed of its fog lamps—excised because the M235i needs all the air it can get—doesn’t qualify. Plus, an M2 is coming anyway.
As there is no standard 235i model, if you want a six-cylinder 2-series, the M235i is it for now. A 240-hp turbocharged four with the same choice in transmissions will be offered in the 228i. Both 2-series models have interiors plucked from the corporate parts bin, meaning there’s a lot of unadorned plastic and imitation leather inside unless you’re willing to indulge in the option list. Pricing for this base model will start at $33,025, which by BMW standards seems reasonable, especially when you consider that the E36 M3 that graced our July 1994 cover boasted 240 horses for $36,000. Adjusted for inflation, that works out to roughly $59,000 today.
M-promptu M-pressions
Our seat time at the 2-series launch was restricted to the M235i for a brief but informative drive. The expected rapid acceleration produced by the N55 is accompanied by a bit of extra noise from off-throttle exhaust overrun, a far more compelling feature than the automatic transmission’s coasting mode. The strut-front and five-link rear suspension setup is typical BMW, as is the ride, which is on the firm side of comfortable once the adaptive M suspension is switched into Sport mode. Versus the 228i, the M235i’s standard M Sport brakes use larger, 13.4-inch ventilated front rotors and four-piston fixed calipers, and they do their job without producing neck-snapping initial bite.

Shod with staggered Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires, the M235i has an abundance of lateral grip, yet it’s still simple enough to rotate the car with the throttle. It turns in quickly with a light and precise feel to the steering. The electric power-steering system communicates more about the road surface than in the 4-series, which itself marked an improvement over the latest 3-series. More impressive is the M235i’s balance, and the way it delivers just the right amount of body motion to let you know how hard it can be pushed. This is important because you sit upright in the M235i and there’s plenty of suspension travel. With its lower belt line and cowl, it feels less like contemporary BMWs than it does models past.
If that pleases those who wish that BMW might have frozen product development around Y2K, it is worth noting that the 2-series still offers all the expected amenities of a modern luxury car. The half-an-iPad screen from the 3-series pokes out of the instrument panel and iDrive is standard (with the new iDrive Touch controller fitted in navigation-equipped cars). You can order a 2-series with lane-departure and collision-warning systems, as well as automated parking. This is not a car for Luddites, but rather quite the opposite.
For those who remain unconvinced and unwilling to join BMW in the present, consider this last bit of good news: The market for used E36 and E46 3-series is bound to flood if the 2-series takes off. View Photo Gallery

Unread 2014-03-06, 12:09 PM   #63
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

A new report indicates BMW is currently testing M2 Coupe prototypes with an uprated N55 engine.
The N55 N55B30T0 engine is the same inline-six TwinPower Turbo 3.0-liter engine inside the currently range-topping M235i Coupe. However, BMW's engineers are tweaking the motor to increase its output from the current 326 HP (240 kW) to somewhere in the region of 380 HP (279 kW). The report suggests BMW is testing the engine in conjunction with both manual and automatic gearboxes.
If the M2 will see the light of production day, expect to find the newly introduced chassis tech from the M3 Sedan / M4 Coupe duo, as well as an electronically-controlled limited-slip differential (aka Active M Differential) and a quad exhaust arrangement.
A probable launch date is sometime in 2016.

Unread 2014-04-07, 08:10 AM   #64
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

A new report finds BMW will launch a range-topping, M-tuned variant of the new 2-Series coupe in 2016. The car will likely be christened M2, a name that BMW trademarked in Germany nearly three years ago.

Billed as the successor to the well-regarded 1-Series M, the M2 will gain a full body kit inspired by the track-only M235i Racing (pictured) that was unveiled recently. Expect a highly-sculpted front bumper, a buldged hood, fender flares, side skirts and a trunk-mounted spoiler to be part of the package. An air diffuser with four exhaust tips will complete the muscular look.

BMW will tap into its carbon fiber expertise in order to lower the car's weight and improve efficiency, agility and performance. Although the M2 will unmistakably look like a member of the 2-Series family when viewed from the outside, it will ride on a heavily-modified chassis packed with technology gleaned from the recently-launched M3/M4 duo.

Staying in line with the rest of BMW's M-badged lineup, the M2 will boast a sport-focused interior with bucket seats for the front passengers, a M-specific instrument cluster, a sport steering wheel and available carbon fiber trim on the dashboard.

Official technical details are not available but rumors indicate the M2 will be powered by a twin-turbocharged variant of the 3.0-liter straight-six found under the hood of the M235i. The turbo-six will reportedly send anywhere between 380 and 400 horsepower to the rear wheels via either an eight-speed automatic transmission or a six-speed manual unit, enabling the M2 to reach 60 mph from a stop in a little over four seconds.

All models regardless of transmission type will come standard with an electronic limited-slip differential.

Look for official details about the 2016 M2 to emerge over the coming year. When it lands in showrooms, the smallest member of BMW's M lineup will retail for approximately $55,000.

Unlike the aforementioned 1-Series M, the M2 is expected to bow as a regular-production model that will be readily available all around the globe.

Unread 2014-04-07, 03:19 PM   #65
FOACAD
الكافر المشرف

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 570
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 3830
Dislikes (Given): 27
Dislikes (Received): 148

Really curious how much lighter than the M3/4 it will be.

That will be the key right there. Also price will be an issue I think. A loaded M235i comes in about 50k MSRP and a loaded M4 is what? 70k MSRP? This needs to be right about 55-58k I think to be a good deal. If it hits 60k MSRP then I wouldnt have any issue stepping to the M4 instead if I was in that market.

This could be very awesome though. The S55 in a 1/2 series. So badass.

Also gives use N55 guys hope that the the S55 twins will be able to be retrofit on the N55 with minimal work.
FOACAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-04-27, 12:41 PM   #66
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

BMW's redesigned entry-level coupe may wear a new 2-Series badge, but its mission in life hasn't changed: to recapture the magic of the classic 2002 that essentially put the Bayerische Motoren Werke on the map in the United States.

Formerly known as the 1-Series, this model was introduced to fill the void at the bottom of the BMW lineup after the follow-up to the 2002, the 3-Series, gradually grew from its compact roots to become almost a midsizer.

The 2-Series range is anchored by the 228i, but it was the performance-minded M235i that really captured our attention. Can it deliver the experience of a modern-day 2002 Turbo? Join us as we find out.

What is it?
A two-door, four-passenger coupe, the M235i falls under the M Performance banner and is powered by a 3.0-liter TwinPower turbocharged inline six-cylinder engine that produces 320 horsepower between 5,800 and 6,000 rpm, and 330 lb-ft of torque at a barely-breathing 1,300-4,500 rpm. As such, BMW says it's the most powerful vehicle in the M Performance subset, which is not to be confused with the pure M-cars like the M3 or M4.
The engine sends power to the rear wheels through an eight-speed sport automatic transmission with steering wheel-mounted paddle shift levers. For those inclined to row it themselves, a six-speed manual transmission is offered as a no-charge option. Launch control software allows for a 0-60 time in 4.8-seconds, while the car is electronically limited to a 155-mph top speed.
Our 2-Series tester rides on the adaptive M suspension and its electronically controlled shocks. On-the-fly adjustments are capable with this set up, which is standard on the M235i but an added-cost option on the 2.0-liter, 240-horsepower turbocharged four-cylinder 228i model. Additionally, Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) and Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) are part of the standard M-performance kit, while a mechanical limited-slip differential can be had as an option.
M-Sport braking and variable sport steering are also standard to assist with stopping and steering respectively, while a sport-tuned exhaust system keeps the natural audio track humming.
The M235 is also equipped with standard BMW Assist eCall and its enhanced automatic collision notification and BMW Teleservice for 10 years. Additional functionality is available through BMW ConnectedDrive.
What's it up against?
The M235i is pitted against the performance versions of the new entry-luxury models coming from BMW's German rivals, including the Mercedes-Benz CLA45 AMG and Audi S3. Yes, we already know they both have four-doors, but they all compete on a similar playing field.

How does it look?
Truthfully? It looks like last year's 1-Series model that it replaces. Featuring a similar long nose and short rear deck design, it would appear as business as usual unless these two were side by side. With that comparison, it becomes evident that the M235i is longer (2.8-inches), wider (1.3-inches), and with a wheelbase that now extends 1.3-inches more than its predecessor.
The stylized kidney bean-shaped grill remains, but this time around it's complimented by new cat-like headlamp assemblies and signature daylight LEDs that ring the traditional headlight lenses. Our tester did not include foglamps, as the aggressive look of the M235i under-bumper intake area makes use of that space as a scoop for the BMW efficient dynamics' Air Curtains, which help to trim airflow around the front wheel wells.
A swage line appears just forward of the A-pillar and carries rearward to the taillamps. A clever design element, its crease breaks up the expanse of sheetmetal and adds strength to the side panels as well. Black trim around the greenhouse makes the area look larger than it actually is, while bling is confined to the headlight surrounds and chrome trim pieces around the grill. A sharkfin antenna and rear decklid spoiler help to round out the list of pieces that make up this smallest BMW.
We were jazzed to see that BMW is joining more manufacturers in the use of gunmetal finishes, as seen in the case of our 18-inch Michelin Pilot-shod alloy wheels. Brake dust? What brake dust? Exactly.

And on the inside?
The Ultimate Driving Machine just wouldn't exist if the seating accommodations for driver and passengers weren't up to snuff, and in this case our M235i didn't disappoint. Well, for the most part, anyway. Our test model was equipped with the black Dakota leather seating package ($1,450) with adjustable sport seats and a cold-weather accessory group ($550) that included a heated steering wheel and seats as well as retractable headlight washers.
While the cold weather group did nothing to improve our lot in Florida, the front seats offered good bolstering and support to keep us in place during an extended jaunt across the state. The rear seat is another matter though, with head- and shoulder room both at a premium.
Our M235i was equipped with the basic connectivity package, which cheaped-out by dispensing with SiriusXM in favor of the (whatsitgoodfor)? HD radio that seems to be floundering in the marketplace. BMW would do well to follow in the footsteps of Hyundai and Kia by including satellite radio as standard. iDrive infotainment makes another appearance here - we've found that once you learn the infotainment system's operation, it becomes second nature. It is paired with a rather basic 6.5-inch display screen. We say spend the extra coin for the available navigation system with its larger screen and touch controller.

But does it go?
The concept behind the M235i, and the 1-Series before it, is to get closer to the sporty heritage of the brand that brought it popularity in the first place. With lithe handling and nearly brute power from the 3.0-liter TwinPower turbo, this dynamo displayed a great deal of playfulness that encouraged us to approach the limits of sensibility more than once. We managed to duplicate the acceleration exercise using the on-board launch control to match the claimed 4.8 second clip to 60 mph.
Sure, it's fun to go fast, but we were more excited by the ease with which this 2' managed to flow through the turns and twisties on certain rarely-traveled backroads. Firm, but not to the point of breaking loose your dental fillings, the M235i kept true to steering inputs without a trace of body roll. The chassis dynamic setup guys in Munich are certainly doing something right, based on the feedback we received from the M235i's suspension while quickly whipping around on South Florida roads.
The standard Drive Dynamics Control (DDC) system, which adjusts the dampers, steering effort, shift logic and throttle calibration, includes settings for Comfort, Sport, Sport+ and ECO Pro mode. Comfort might be just the ticket for around town excursions during stop and go traffic, while we preferred the Sport and Sport+ modes, which do their part to get the adrenaline flowing in a positive fashion. The ECO Pro system with its auto stop/start engine mode became rather tedious as it tends to operate in a rougher fashion than similar systems found in other manufacturer's vehicles.
The EPA says that this 3535-pounder should be able to get 22/32 city/highway mpg with 25 combined mpg. We didn't even bother to look. We were having too much fun.

Leftlane's bottom line:
The new M235i brought back memories of our first BMW experience. Eager to please in nearly every aspect, this coupe reminded us why we were originally so enamored with the brand.
With its power, handling and refinement, we never wanted to leave the M235i's driver seat. And if the pricing was too rich for our blood, we would be happy with the 228i instead.

2014 BMW M235i base price, $43,100. As tested, $46,575.
Melbourne Red Metallic paint, $550; Dakota Leather Package, $1,450; Cold Weather Package, $550; Destination, $925.

Unread 2014-05-01, 07:57 AM   #67
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

BMW M2 approved for production, could feature 380 PS - report

2014 BMW 2-Series Coupe 24.10.2013 [25th Oct, 2013]

Could be an interesting alternative to the M4 Coupe

Rumors about a BMW M2 have been swirling for years but Bimmer Post is reporting the model has been approved for production.
Citing company insiders, the website says the highly-anticipated model will go into production in the fall of 2015 and be delivered to customers in late 2015 or early 2016.
Specifications are a little light at the moment but sources have indicated the model will use a turbocharged 3.0-liter six-cylinder engine that develops approximately 370-380 PS (272-279 kW). This would make the M2 44-54 PS (32-39 kW) more powerful than the M235i Coupe which can accelerate from 0-100 km/h in as little as 4.8 seconds with the optional eight-speed automatic transmission.
Little else is known about the car but it is reportedly codenamed pyrat2 and will be known as the F87.

Unread 2014-05-01, 11:52 PM   #68
comtrang

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 31
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 66
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 2

I really need to stop looking at articles on the new M235/M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustin Dailey View Post
2nd nicest guy on KCSR.... officially.

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Prolific liked this post
comtrang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-05-09, 09:31 AM   #69
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

BMW M2 confirmed as first spy shots emerge

2016 BMW M2 spy photo / S. Baldauf/SB-Medien

Coming out late 2015

After months of speculations and rumors, the BMW M2 has finally been confirmed courtesy of these spy photos which show an early chassis testing mule.
Compared to the regular 2-Series, this mule has a considerably wider track and has borrowed some parts such as the flared side fenders from the M235i Racing. Other noticeable features include the blue M brakes and 19-inch alloy wheels sourced from the new M3 & M4 duo. This is an early chassis testing mule so most of the body work has not been completed at this point.
According to the latest rumors, underneath the hood will reside a 6-cylinder, 3.0-liter turbocharged engine producing somewhere in the region of 380 PS (279 kW) which would make it 54 PS (39 kW) more powerful than the M235i Coupe.
It is believed the BMW M2 will be revealed towards the end of 2015 so prepare for a long series of rumors and spy photos.

Unread 2014-05-09, 11:39 AM   #70
FOACAD
الكافر المشرف

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 570
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 3830
Dislikes (Given): 27
Dislikes (Received): 148

Really curious if this will just be an M-fied version of the single turbo n55 or if they will use twins like the S55.

Really really hope it's a detuned version of the S55. Probably would take a lot of sales from the M4 though.
FOACAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-05-09, 12:05 PM   #71
bimmertech

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOACAD View Post
Really curious if this will just be an M-fied version of the single turbo n55 or if they will use twins like the S55.

Really really hope it's a detuned version of the S55. Probably would take a lot of sales from the M4 though.
I wouldnt even be mad if it had the single turbo engine but had the m4 chassis parts.

The m235 would be supreme with the ediff, rigid subframe, fender flares, and the suspension parts. It still might not get the alum/cf body parts though.

I would imagine if it gets the tt engine they would limit production to keep from canabalizing m4 sales.

Either way, the latest m cars have been fanfuckingtastic so I'm all for it.
bimmertech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-05-09, 12:23 PM   #72
KUweatherman
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmertech View Post
I wouldnt even be mad if it had the single turbo engine but had the m4 chassis parts.

The m235 would be supreme with the ediff, rigid subframe, fender flares, and the suspension parts. It still might not get the alum/cf body parts though.

I would imagine if it gets the tt engine they would limit production to keep from canabalizing m4 sales.

Either way, the latest m cars have been fanfuckingtastic so I'm all for it.
It is nice to see you saying positive things about BMWs. There for awhile it seemed all doom and gloom.

I really need to get in and test drive some of the newer stuff. I'm feeling out of touch with my BMW fanboyism.
Unread 2014-05-09, 05:48 PM   #73
bimmertech

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUweatherman View Post
It is nice to see you saying positive things about BMWs. There for awhile it seemed all doom and gloom.
there for a while it really was doom and gloom as a bmw tech. bmwna had a mass exodus of techs from 2008-2011 for multiple reasons that i don't think i should get in to on a public forum.

but, the game changer for me was the F10 M5. that car represents to me everything awesome about bmw. the totality of that car can be summed up in one word for me--"savage". there is not a single thing about that car that i would change. sure, it's going to be a maintenance nightmare when they age, but fuck it, it's worth it. the best part about it, was they didn't make it and come out thumping their chest with a big marketing bit. they made the car, sold it to the public and sat back. they knew it was fucking great and didn't feel the need to talk it up.

i can see M cars getting the same kind of treatment trickling down and it really excites me. the next decade for M cars should go down as the best ones ever made.
Unread 2014-05-13, 01:55 PM   #74
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

CarScoopsreports that the top 2er (along with other models in the range) will be getting all-wheel drive officially in Europe. A leaked document reportedly confirms the drivetrain for the US next year. The 0-60 on-ramp run drops a maybe-significant 0.2 seconds compared to the RWD model (4.6 vs 4.8 respectively).

You might think that this is just another move towards complete market homogeneity from BMW, a single step out of many away from rear-drive character towards a full-range lineup indistinguishable from any other AWD/FWD mainstream manufacturer.
But no!
Clearly, this is not a calculated move by Munich execs to claw up even the tiniest bit of unexploited marketshare, pleasing every single potential Drive Now car share user who doesn't understand why their sporty coupe should have to feel so sketchy on a rainy, sleety interstate or Autobahn.
Rather, it's an effort to please potential third-owners who look forward to using their tired daily-driver coupe on weekend dirt/snow rallycross runs.

Unread 2014-05-20, 09:11 PM   #75
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM39l-VfCW4