Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > Automotive Forums > The Automotive Lounge

Unread 2014-02-05, 05:14 PM   #226
torqueburner

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 86
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 348
Likes (Received): 207
Dislikes (Given): 15
Dislikes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUR11 View Post
Actually you are totally incorrect on that. It would not be Viper or Vette ever in comparison for performance. The GTR has awd, so with everything turned off would still be faster everytime due to not having traction limitations. And there are plenty of reviews out there stating how well the GTR drives in the snow. The GTR does not rely on "gadgets" to drive the car, to launch the car you hold down the brake and rev up the engine to 4k rpm's and let off the brake, how is that any different than launching any car with a high stall torque converter?
Totally incorrect is a bit of a stretch.
Awd doesn't mean a win everytime against rwd. I've beat PLENTY of awd cars that's had more hp and torque than me.
As I said I wasn't arguing that it is clearly a better winter car. But when's the last time you raced someone in the snow?
Its different in many ways ......its not those other cars with high stall converters.
And there are several launch modes/drive settings etc.
There's more to racing than just "reving it up,and let go of the brake". There's road conditions/driver mod/experience,etc.
Your 4 grand rev might work on one road but launch like crap on another,just too many variables.
Not to mention the gtr is much heavier than a viper.

Street & Racing Technology

Last edited by torqueburner; 2014-02-05 at 05:18 PM..
torqueburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-02-05, 05:29 PM   #227
icemangsr

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 65
Likes (Given): 264
Likes (Received): 419
Dislikes (Given): 3
Dislikes (Received): 10

Lot of AWD cars are converted to RWD for race duty. Just saying.
"The value of life can be measured by how many times your soul has been deeply stirred." - Soichiro Honda.
Wife had abs like Paula Patton

icemangsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-02-05, 06:14 PM   #228
steelbluesleepR

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 30
Thanks (Received): 28
Likes (Given): 323
Likes (Received): 191
Dislikes (Given): 8
Dislikes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemangsr View Post
Lot of AWD cars are converted to RWD for race duty. Just saying.
that's more often the function of the sanctioning body's rules rather than a performance modification, though. When Chris Rado saw that the rules for the class he was wanting to run were wide open, he had a custom AWD system created for his factory TC. Then he stuck a giant wing on the hood.

(click for member's ride)
Quote:
'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
steelbluesleepR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-02-06, 12:44 AM   #229
RPOlt4

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 32
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 162
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 7

Quote:
Actually you are totally incorrect on that. It would not be Viper or Vette ever in comparison for performance. The GTR has awd, so with everything turned off would still be faster everytime due to not having traction limitations. And there are plenty of reviews out there stating how well the GTR drives in the snow. The GTR does not rely on "gadgets" to drive the car, to launch the car you hold down the brake and rev up the engine to 4k rpm's and let off the brake, how is that any different than launching any car with a high stall torque converter?
I personally couldn't care less about what the GTR can or cannot do. I just don't like the car. But to each his own and I would never say you're wrong to like the GTR, just simply that I have the right not to, for whatever reason(s) I so choose.

I like these American machines, not for where they are made so much, but just for the machines they are.
Unread 2014-02-06, 10:46 AM   #230
torqueburner

Post Thanks / Like

^^agree^^, America just builds raw powered torquey cars that lets you feel the power, that's where are roots are in american muscle. Americans don't seem to care much about a bunch of gadgets or imported unicorn leather from another dimension,lol.

Unread 2014-02-06, 11:29 AM   #231
bonecrusher

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 40
Likes (Given): 84
Likes (Received): 347
Dislikes (Given): 8
Dislikes (Received): 19

Quote:
Why? It out performs them both and is practical enough to drive daily, even in winter.
the GTR is more expensive than a new vette and it hands down looks like shit compared to the vette and the viper.
I could find a lot of ways to spend the 50k difference between a 2014 gtr track edition and 2014 corvette z51 stingray.

I was just pimping my opinion to you

Last edited by bonecrusher; 2014-02-06 at 11:35 AM..
bonecrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-02-06, 10:23 PM   #232
silversilvia

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 22
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 51
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 0

Quote:
The GTR has awd, so with everything turned off would still be faster every time due to not having traction limitations.
OMG shit likes this bugs the hell out of me. AWD does not mean better performance, other wise EVERYONE would be doing it and there would not be any RWD performance cars around.

AWD adds drivetrain loss
AWD adds weight

what you say above somehow makes it so that having 4 driving wheels somehow increases the performance of your 4 contact patches to the ground somehow. your contact patches can only do 100% or 1 thing, brake, turn or accelerate. having front driving wheels somehow doesn't simply Add more performance to your front wheel, its does it at the expense of turning and braking. when you add AWD you get less power to the ground and you are trying to maneuver more weight around a corner.

Gee i wonder why AWD cars understeer at the limit (not typical for all AWD cars)

in fact the car in your sig, you could have had a faster car if you went without AWD:
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._s_sedan_test/

AWD does obviously has its pro's but i don't think you realize them.
Unread 2014-03-18, 10:16 AM   #233
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

2014 SRT Viper GTS

"It's A Viper. It Should Scare Some People."

Vital Stats

• Engine:8.4L V10
  • Power:640 HP / 600 LB-FT
  • Transmission:6-Speed Manual
  • 0-60 Time:3.3 Seconds
  • Top Speed:206 MPH
  • Drivetrain:Rear-Wheel Drive
  • Curb Weight:3,297 LBS
  • Seating:2
  • MPG: 12 City / 19 HWY
  • Base Price: $124,985
  • As-Tested Price: $140,930

My boyhood shelves were packed with all sorts of toys, but my favorites were miniature diecast cars. Even though I'd spend hours building challenging gravity tracks for the smallest and sleekest of the bunch, my prized vehicles were not scaled-down production models. Instead, I preferred to daydream about the fascinating showcars and fictitious models with their radical styling, giant wheels and oversized engines. They were the standouts that didn't need to roll down a plastic road, as they could shoot across the carpet, launch over a book and drive up the walls with impunity.

Understandably, then, I was recently compelled to shake off a flood of youthful memories when a 2014 SRT Viper GTS was dropped off in my driveway, complete with bright-red paint, black racing stripes, massive tires and the biggest engine in the land. It was exaggerated and outrageous – nothing short of a life-size version of my favorite childhood Matchbox car.

Only this time, I was handed a real key.

The 90-degree engine is now rated at 640 horsepower at 6,200 rpm and 600 pound-feet of torque at 5,000 rpm.
After skipping a few model years, the fifth-generation Viper returned at the 2012 New York Auto Show. It debuted not wearing its traditional Dodge badges, instead arriving as part of Chrysler Group's new performance-oriented SRT (Street and Racing Technology) brand. Previously, the latter was an in-house performance skunkworks for Chrysler products, but the Viper marked SRT's debut as a standalone marque. And while the new car wasn't a complete clean-sheet design, it had received major upgrades and lots of lightweight materials, including a cast-magnesium firewall, an aluminum cross-brace under the hood, aluminum doors, and plenty of carbon fiber, including its clamshell hood, roof and decklid. The lighter materials not only made the revised vehicle stronger, it cut nearly 100 pounds off its weight.

Returning under the hood, of course, is the Viper's signature V10. The all-aluminum, naturally aspirated 8.4-liter engine still features only two valves-per-cylinder and sequential fuel injection – old school – but it uses race-bred forged aluminum pistons, a forged steel crankshaft and a lightweight composite intake. To preserve its on-track performance, engineers fitted it with a swinging pickup in the oil sump to ensure lubrication under racing conditions. Feasting on premium unleaded, the 90-degree engine is now rated at 640 horsepower at 6,200 rpm and 600 pound-feet of torque at 5,000 rpm. An improved Tremec TR6060 six-speed manual gearbox and a GKN ViscoLok speed-sensing limited-slip rear differential sends the power the rear wheels.

Premium GTS models come fitted with two-mode Bilstein DampTronic shock absorbers.
The balance of the Viper's mechanical specifications includes a suspension setup with cast-aluminum, unequal-length upper and lower control A-arms fitted front and rear, with fixed damping on the standard model. Premium GTS models, however, come fitted with two-mode Bilstein DampTronic shock absorbers as standard equipment. The rack-and-pinion steering continues to use traditional hydraulic assist for maximum feel. Standard brakes include oversized 14-inch ventilated iron brake rotors with four-piston monobloc calipers, but an optional SRT Track Package offers upgraded brakes with lighter StopTech two-piece slotted rotors (iron friction surfaces with aluminum hats). The anti-lock braking system has also been upgraded to utilize four channels, instead of the previous car's three channels.

As before, the Viper returns with big shoes. The standard wheel/tire package fits five-spoke Rattler 18-inch alloys up front (wearing 295/30ZR18 summer-compound Pirelli P Zero tires) and 19-inch alloys (355/30ZR19 tires) in the rear. Ultra-lightweight multi-spoke Venom-Hyper wheels with sticky race-ready Pirelli P Zero or Corsa tires are on the options list.

My previous experience with this new Viper was at Sonoma Raceway, where I had the opportunity to drive several versions on public roads, a temporary autocross/skidpad in a large parking lot, and on the main track at the Northern California circuit. But there were no closed venues with fleets of Vipers this time – just a week with this one car on the spectacular roads around the greater Los Angeles Basin.
Including $1,995 for destination, the total MSRP was $140,930.
The base price of a premium GTS model sits at $124,985. Bumping up the sticker on my press car was the $7,500 GTS Laguna Interior package (Sabelt premium seats, Alcantara headliner, SRT steering wheel, SRT premium audio and more), $5,000 for painted black racing stripes, $350 for red seatbelts, $1,100 for the forged wheels and a $2,600 gas-guzzler tax. Including $1,995 for destination, the total MSRP was $140,930.

Once seated inside this fifth-generation Viper, most are surprised by how accommodating its cabin is. My six-foot, two-inch frame fit tightly, yet I wasn't cramped, with decent head-, shoulder- and legroom. But as I had during my First Drive, I took issue with the slanted footwell, as the power-adjustable three-pedal cluster has been moved leftward to accommodate the oversized transmission tunnel. The result is that there is very little room between the clutch and the left wall of the pedal box, meaning only my narrowest size-11 racing shoe would fit in the space. There is a wrench-adjustable dead pedal down in the footwell, which I am sure owners will tweak to their liking, but it's small and isn't optimally located.

With key fob in pocket, the V10 fired up after the red start/stop button was held for about a second. The awakening process was both physical and audible, as all 8.4 liters shook the chassis as the engine cleared its throat out each side of the body (there is no crossover pipe). As with previous generations, idling remained an impatient rumble, with an odd, burbling soundtrack that sounded more like a trolling fishing boat in harbor than a polished high-performance sports car.
I found the Viper's manual gearbox refreshingly mechanical in operation.
I found the Viper's manual gearbox refreshingly mechanical in operation, with its pleasingly short throws both accurate and tactile. The clutch was heavy, but not overburdening, with a nice take-up and engagement. Although SRT has fitted the Viper with a fuel-saving skip-shift 'feature' that forces drivers to jump from first to fourth gear under light acceleration, a firm right foot on the pedal or an extended climb around the tachometer will override it every time.

When fitted with active damping, this SRT offers its operator a number of suspension and stability control choices. There are two damper settings (Street and Track) and five stability control configurations (On, Sport, Rain, Track and Off). Rain mode, which is new for 2014, increases the sensitivity of the ESC by lowering its yaw and slip targets. Don't assume this softened setting takes the bite out of the beast - Rain mode is still much more aggressive than the default setting in a Chevrolet Corvette Stingray, for instance, and the car can still get out of hand ("It's a Viper. It should scare some people," boasted Erich Heuschele, from SRT Engineering, during a phone interview). The SRT starts with Street damping and with ESC on, which allows plenty of wheelspin.

Massive high-performance summer tires readily provide gumball grip – provided they have heat in them. Unfortunately, morning startup in February (even in Southern California) is not that time. Leaving the driveway, and during my first dozen or so launches, required a delicate touch on the throttle. With even the slightest indelicacy, the V10 broke its chilled steamroller rears free every time – even when only moderate pressure was applied to the aluminum gas pedal. I soon learned to monitor the car's real-time tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) for the go ahead. When the numbers had risen by a few pounds at each corner from their cold pressures, I concluded that I had grip.
The tone is interesting, albeit not particularly pleasant, but even so, nobody holds their ears.
At that point, with four tires, four gallons of coolant and nearly three gallons of synthetic oil all at proper operating temperature, it took all the willpower in the world to prevent me from slamming my right foot to the floor and endlessly peeling out, leaving nothing but an expensive trail of Pirelli particulates in my wake. With 600 pound-feet of torque on tap, it would have been very easy to restripe all of the roads in town.

It's very difficult to describe the Viper's sound. Five cylinders exhaust out of each side, not the rear, which puts the vehicle's occupants in the stereoscopic center of the action. With 2,500 rpm on the tachometer, the powerplant's noise is loud and boisterous – nothing like the silky sound of an inline-six, the smooth deep growl of a well-tuned V8 or the lovely purr of a V12. The tone is interesting, albeit not particularly pleasant, but even so, nobody holds their ears.

At least until redline. When the V10 pushes over 5,000 rpm, a clamorous and seemingly unrestrained dissonant sound roars from each side pipe and assaults the cabin. Unprepared occupants are caught off guard by the nearly deafening noise (several of my passengers visibly cowered and covered their ears), while their senses were simultaneously abused by the Viper's crushing g-forces. A bruising sprint from standstill to 60 miles per hour happens too quickly to be appreciated. But a 0-100 mph shot, which takes just over seven seconds, becomes life-altering. "Brutal" is the best way to describe the V10's demeanor.
"Brutal" is the best way to describe the V10's demeanor.
The Viper's driving position, aft of that long powerplant, puts the operator just ahead of the rear wheels but behind the chassis' rotational axis. While the Ferrari F12 and Mercedes-Benz SLS share similar layouts, the SRT's comically large 8.4-liter engine makes it the true Gee Bee R-1 of the automotive world. Kicking the tail out, which takes nothing more than an extra inch of throttle travel, means the occupants swing in an arc that emphasizes the pendulum effect to an unnerving level. Even skilled drivers need to readjust their internal gyroscopes to accommodate this vehicle's unique mannerisms.

With everything warmed to working order, running at a spirited pace through the canyons required full concentration, as the Viper's wide stance and long hood made positioning its shoulders within the narrow painted stripes a challenge. Visually, the vehicle appears imposing and heavy, but a GTS coupe with forged wheels tips the scales at just 3,399 pounds – more than 100 pounds lighter than a BMW 335i sedan – with a balanced 50/50 weight distribution. In practice, the heavily weighted steering was accurate and the chassis surprisingly responsive, both of which helped the Viper feel surprisingly light and agile on its feet.

It's not possible, or even remotely legal, to wring out the last drop of performance on public roads, but the Viper is incredibly entertaining, even at eight-tenths. At that level, where the rear wheels are still following the tracks of the fronts around a corner, SRT's finest holds tenaciously in corners, accelerates ferociously on short straights and brakes mercilessly hard. The enthusiast in you will be completely absorbed by the experience – it's one best enjoyed with the windows all the way down and the 900-watt audio system silenced.
Aside for a complete lack of grip when it's cold and rainy, outward visibility is this car's greatest challenge.
The Viper is addictive as a weekend toy for a talented enthusiast, but it's understandably less charming when forced to drive at two-tenths. Under such Monday-through-Friday conditions, when asked to sit for three hours in stop-and-go traffic or drive 100 miles in a blinding rainstorm – I was forced to do both – some of its shortcomings rise to the surface.

Aside for a complete lack of grip when it's cold and rainy, outward visibility (especially over one's right shoulder) is this car's greatest challenge. I also found tight parking maneuvers, even with the backup camera, to be a trying exercise. And while I became accustomed to the acrobatics required to jump into the cabin, my passengers frequently leaned on the hot aluminum door sills (why can't they be made of less heat-conductive carbon fiber?). Lastly, the climate control and suspension buttons are poorly placed (the temperature buttons should be on one side and the damper settings on the other). On a positive note, the exhaust routing to the sides means the Viper's trunk won't melt your Girl Scout cookies, a common occurrence on many high-performance sports cars.

After my brief introduction in late 2012, I said the new SRT was, "the best two-door coupe to ever wear Chrysler's coveted Viper badge... the finest [sports car] this country has to offer." Unfortunately for Pentastar lovers, that assessment was made before I drove the all-new 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray, a model pegged as its closest domestic competition. Rather than skirt the issue, I will be quite frank: purely in terms of objective sports car dynamics, the new Stingray – and presumably its upcoming Z06 model – have the Viper beat.
Its engineers have left its challenging nature and rawness mercifully intact.
Yet that shouldn't ruffle the feathers of SRT loyalists, as the Viper delivers much more than the Corvette in terms of driving captivation and emotional gratification – the two most tangible reasons why owners enjoy their sports cars. This V10-powered coupe is more refined than its predecessor, but its engineers have left its challenging nature and rawness mercifully intact. It rewards talent, and it rightfully scares the hell out of novices. Uncommon on the road compared to the Chevy, this strident SRT also enjoys a curious stage presence and rolls with double the cachet.

The 2014 Viper GTS may not be this nation's finest sports car, but it is its most engaging drive. And in this car guy's eyes, that catapults it to the top of the charts.

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Prolific liked this post
JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-03-18, 05:53 PM   #234
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Chrysler is reportedly planning to temporarily shut down its SRT Viper production facility in Detroit.

The company is said to be laying off 91 workers during the hiatus, which potentially spells trouble for the company's flagship sports coupe.

The fourth-generation Viper was on track to be the last when it was discontinued in 2010, however the nameplate was revived for the 2013 model year. The company reportedly aimed to sell 1,600 Vipers annually, but sales for the first two months of the year failed to reach 100 units, according to the Detroit Free Press.

Following the 2013 reintroduction, the company attempted to reignite sales with several special editions. Buyers can step up to the Viper Time Attack edition, which brings a wide range of track-focused upgrades, while Launch Edition and Grand Touring packages provide further differentiation.

The Viper may be feeling the bite from Chevrolet's 2014 Corvette Stingray, which recently jumped in price thanks to better-than-expected demand. The SRT monster remains a unique proposition for displacement enthusiasts, retaining its 8.4-liter V10 as many competitors switch to smaller forced-induction powerplants.

The Viper plant is reportedly scheduled to halt operations on April 14 and resume production on June 23.

Unread 2014-04-16, 10:57 AM   #235
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

SRT Viper TA Gets Anodized Carbon Special Edition Treatment: Live From New York

2014 SRT Viper Time Attack Anodized Carbon Special Edition Package

HI-RES GALLERY: 2014 SRT Viper Time Attack Anodized Carbon Special Edition Package

Late last year, SRT rolled out a special edition version of its Viper called the Anodized Carbon Special Edition Package. Based on the Viper GTS, the special edition featured a unique metallic matte exterior along with a number of premium features in the cabin, and only 50 examples were slated to be produced.

Now SRT has announced that its Viper Time Attack model will also get the Anodized Carbon Special Edition Package treatment. It makes its world debut today at the 2014 New York Auto Show.

The Viper TA is a track-focused version of the all-American supercar, limited originally to just 159 examples, all of which have been sold. Now that run will be extended by 10 more cars that will make up Vipers 41-50 that are destined to receive the Anodized Carbon Special Edition Package treatment.

In addition to the metallic matte paint, the Anodized Carbon Special Edition Package also includes black wheels, black badging, a black exhaust bezel, orange brake calipers, carbon fiber brake ducts and a rear applique.

For the interior, Alcantara is used for the headliner, door bolsters and knee blockers, while orange accent stitching is used on the seats. Carbon fiber accents are added throughout the center stack, door panels and steering wheel, and an exclusive carbon badge adorns the dashboard.

No changes have been made to the drivetrain, which means under the hood sits a handcrafted, all-aluminum 8.4-liter V-10 delivering 640 horsepower and 600 pound-feet of torque.

Production of the Anodized Carbon Special Edition Package cars begins in early 2015.

Unread 2014-04-16, 11:18 AM   #236
torqueburner

Post Thanks / Like

That is such a bad as a look for that car

Unread 2014-05-06, 09:42 AM   #237
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

RIP SRT VIPER

The Viper Is Once Again A Dodge And The SRT Brand Is Dead

Expand1
Chrysler's experiment of making SRT it's own brand and making the Viper its halo car is done. SRT and the SRT-branded Viper are dead. Long live the Dodge Viper.
Today at Chrysler's huge future product plan news conference, it was announced that SRT would go from being a standalone brand to being included within Dodge as it's performance halo brand.

And with no SRT brand to exist anymore, that leaves the Artist Formerly Known as the SRT Viper without a home. Thankfully, Chrysler is welcoming back the Viper into the Dodge fold. Even if it isn't selling well, there is still a refresh planned for mid-year 2015. Hopefully this reignites the flame under the storied car.2

But what does this mean for Ralph Gilles, SRT's CEO, and cars like the Cherokee and 300 SRT? The picture should become clearer as Chrysler's presentation continues.

Unread 2014-07-07, 09:20 PM   #238
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

SRT has resumed production of the Viper at Chrysler's Conner Avenue factory in Detroit, Michigan.

Last April, the automaker was forced to temporarily stop Viper production and lay off 91 employees because dealers in the United States and in Canada had a total of 756 unsold Vipers in their inventory. At the time, company executives downplayed the situation and explained buyers were waiting until the end of a particularly harsh winter to go car shopping.

SRT reports it has sold a total of 354 Vipers in the United States and 70 additional examples in Canada over the first six months of the year. The arrival of limited-edition models like the Time Attack (pictured) and the Anodized Carbon Editions has helped move cars off of dealer lots.

What's Next?
Last May, Chrysler announced it will axe the SRT sub-brand and return the bulk of its models to the Dodge lineup in time for the 2015 model year. In addition to a new name, the 2015 Dodge Viper is expected to get a mild facelift that will also bring a more powerful of the 8.4-liter V10 engine and an optional eight-speed automatic transmission.

The 2015 Dodge Viper will likely debut at the Los Angeles Motor Show that will open its doors next November.

Unread 2014-07-08, 02:25 AM   #239
GTuhOh

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 24
Likes (Given): 178
Likes (Received): 213
Dislikes (Given): 16
Dislikes (Received): 12

I think if they offer that 8 speed auto they'll move a lot more. As much as I love the Viper, that car is so uncomfortable and a pain in the ass to drive compared to it's competitors. It's not really a car you can drive without a 100% 'I want to drive' attitude. You can hop in a R8 or Gallardo E-gear and somewhat relax behind the wheel, while you can't in the Viper. That's what bugs me at least.
Unread 2014-07-08, 11:21 AM   #240
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Stopped for two weeks

Dodge has announced production of the 2014 SRT Viper has been halted once again amid decreasing sales.
It was only a couple of days ago when we found out production of the 2014 SRT Viper was resumed on June 23 after being stopped on April 14. Now, Dodge says the assembly line at Conner Avenue has been stopped once again yesterday and it will restart on July 21. In the first production pause, 91 workers were laid off but now the number has been reduced to 82.
Once the assembly line will restart, the production rate will be the same as before even though there are some risks of creating another inventory surplus. Starting with 2015 model year, the Viper will be sold once again with the Dodge nameplate probably as a method to boost sales since customers would react better to the famous designation.

Unread 2014-07-08, 11:26 AM   #241
06g35meister

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 35
Thanks (Received): 63
Likes (Given): 102
Likes (Received): 382
Dislikes (Given): 6
Dislikes (Received): 14

Honestly anyone in the Viper market is not going to be swayed into purchasing based on it being a Dodge vs SRT.

My opinion is the car itself is not worth the money.
06g35meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-07-08, 12:21 PM   #242
torqueburner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06g35meister View Post
Honestly anyone in the Viper market is not going to be swayed into purchasing based on it being a Dodge vs SRT.

My opinion is the car itself is not worth the money.
Now that just hurt my feelings.....

Unread 2014-07-08, 12:36 PM   #243
06g35meister

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 35
Thanks (Received): 63
Likes (Given): 102
Likes (Received): 382
Dislikes (Given): 6
Dislikes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueburner View Post
Now that just hurt my feelings.....
Change my mind? :flirt:
06g35meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-07-08, 12:41 PM   #244
AUR11

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 31
Likes (Given): 47
Likes (Received): 272
Dislikes (Given): 10
Dislikes (Received): 9

I like the new Viper, but my favorite will always be the 99-02 GTS.
AUR11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-07-08, 02:15 PM   #245
torqueburner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06g35meister View Post
Change my mind? :flirt:
Lol, I'll refer you to sleeper.

Unread 2014-07-15, 09:33 PM   #246
carlos64030
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 390
Thanks (Received): 281
Likes (Given): 2784
Likes (Received): 1586
Default What Does The Future Hold For The Dodge SRT Viper?

Sales for the Corvette Stingray are doing extremely well, the 2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat with it's 707 horsepower is going to make a lot of people take notice when it hits the streets. Depending on how much Dodge decides to sell this car for, it has the potential to be a pretty decent seller. I'm absolutely sure the car will cost more than what I'd be willing to pay for one, but I'd definitely buy one if they weren't going to cost so much. I've always thought they were great cars, especially given the fact that my 300 pound, 6' 5" frame feels quite at home in it's more than spacious cabin.

Soooooo... where does that leave the Dodge SRT Viper? I personally think it's a beautifully crafted car. The interior looks great, although I highly doubt I could comfortably fit it inside one, not unless the Dodge team has increased the interior volume to accommodate bigger guys like myself. It makes plenty of power and tree stump pulling torque to satisfy the average power fiend.

Unfortunately, all that power and good looks the Viper has apparently isn't enough to lure buyers into the showroom. The Viper assembly plant temporarily shutdown for a few weeks, a few months ago because there were too many of them in stock and none were selling. Well, I just found out earlier today that the plant shut down again on July 3rd for the same reason.

I really would hate to see the Viper disappear for good.

ANYhooooo...

Quote:
Recently after a two month hiatus, the production of the Dodge SRT Viper resumed with the reopening of the Chrysler Conner Avenue Assembly plant. Unfortunately this was short lived, as two weeks later the plant was put back into idle mode and shutdown. Now on its second shutdown since July 3rd, things are looking unsure for the only hand-made vehicle produced in America.

The initial hiatus was originally undertaken to help Chrysler sell off its stockpiled inventory of unsold Vipers it had acquired as production outpaced sales. With poor weather, competition, and cost of the SRT Viper these factors played a contributing role in the recent slump in sales in 2013 and 2014.

Those who are actually able to afford this ride are limited in number. Other options in the market are now readily available that are comparable in performance at a lower cost point. With an average price of $100,000 for the SRT Viper, this is quite frankly reserved for an elite group. The big block 640 horsepower V10 beast is simply struggling to compete. With only 591 Vipers sold in 2013 and 424 in 2014, supply is stock piling with a decreasing demand. Currently there are enough Vipers on hand to last a year to meet the current pace of consumers.

As Vipers are waiting to be sold and find new homes, the hot-selling Corvette Stingray has a long and growing waiting list. With the Corvette equal in performance at a lower cost to the consumer, the Vette is putting the hurt on the two-decade-old SRT Viper. With that said, Dodge reports the plant was built to be idle ready. One can only wonder, is that the mission of their neighbors over at GM to produce plants that are idle ready? We are guessing probably not.

Sources say the plant will reopen for a second time July 21st and begin once again to produce the Detroit handcrafted work of art. If sources are correct we hope production is resumed and the remaining 82 workers of the original 150, will be able to return without further interruption. In order to guarantee these workers have stable employment, it might be time for Dodge to rethink and re-strategize to ensure the Dodge SRT Viper’s future in the competitive high end performance car arena.
http://www.streetlegaltv.com/news/sr...d-time-in-2014

One owner, 1997 WS6 Trans Am - Far from stock.
carlos64030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-07-15, 09:56 PM   #247
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Merged threads

Unread 2014-07-15, 10:13 PM   #248
carlos64030
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 390
Thanks (Received): 281
Likes (Given): 2784
Likes (Received): 1586

One owner, 1997 WS6 Trans Am - Far from stock.
carlos64030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-07-15, 10:17 PM   #249
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

you quoted the same news story that was mentioned in post 230

Unread 2014-07-26, 12:17 PM   #250
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

2015 Dodge Viper gets more power

No, it's not supercharged....

More Mopar engine news today: The 2015 Viper is getting extra power. And no, before you ask, it’s not by way of a Hellcat V-8. We already told you that wasn’t going to happen. The Viper, now rightfully a Dodge again, is keeping its 8.4-liter V10.

The news comes from the same source that confirmed the impending existence of a Hellcat-engined Charger sedan, the SAE J1349 certification database. (SAE J1349 is an opt-in test for manufacturers to get engine output certified. Currently, Ford, GM, and Chrysler are the only automakers that take advantage of it.)
Some tuning brings horsepower up to 645 from 640; torque stays at 600 lb-ft. It’s not quite enough to beat the 650-hp new Corvette Z06, but there’s a good chance the Viper will be the lighter car.

While the SAE certification doesn’t say how the extra power was coaxed out, we’d guess that it involves some combination of improved breathing and altered code. Maybe something was learned from the hole-in-the-headlight arrangement that feeds the Hellcat’s airbox. Or maybe they were just sandbagging before.
Reminder: Putting a Hellcat engine in a Viper would be silly! While the supercharged 6.2 makes 62 hp and 50 lb-ft of torque more than the Viper V-10, it weighs about 180 pounds more and the blower means it’s too tall to fit under the stock hood. It’s a ridiculous idea, and one that someone will inevitably make real, and we will enjoy its smoky burnouts all the same.
And even if the Viper doesn’t have 707 hp, it keeps its superior power-to-weight ratio, which for 2015 is improved by 0.8 percent. We’re confident it will still light the tires on command.

Tags
dodge, rip, viper